Author Topic: parents, check THIS school out!  (Read 2039 times)

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
    • http://suicidegirls.com/members/ilovemikeHunt/
parents, check THIS school out!
« on: December 04, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »
http://www.eaglerockschool.org/Default.htm

I wish I had been sent here!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
aura solomon

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:09:00 AM »
Parents who have tried "everything" haven't run across this place nearly so often. I wonder why.
Illumintaing, thank you for showing us this.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »
Well, the website looks great. But what do we really know about this place? Not saying it's necessarily a bad place. Just that a lot of them have wonderful websites that just don't accurately describe the institution.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit  people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good?  Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?

--Frederic Bastiat -- 1801-1850

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »
To be honest Laura, this website looks an aweful lot like what Cedu writes in their bullshit sales brochures.

I'm extremely wary of any boarding school that lists "personal growth" and "spiritual development" as an integral part of the curriculum.  The whole site is littered with these phrases.

The primary goal of any school in my opinion should be ACEDEMICS.  Schools should make sure the kids know and understand everything they need to so they can: A.) successfully graduate High School And B.)Make an informed decision of what they want to do with their lives, and leave high school with a plan (IE: College, Trade School, the Military, Etc...).

I do believe that it is important for every school to create a safe and open environment where students can grow personally or spiritually
on their own.  However the school should NOT actively direct, monitor, or in any way influence an individuals personal and spiritual development.  And the performance of  personal or spiritual growth to the another's satisfaction should never, by any means, be a factor in determining whether or not someone deserves to graduate high school.

Also the whole portfolio thing that the students have to keep for faculty or other peers to review, really spooked me.  It reminds me of the "journals" we had to keep at cedu.  It appears that "Eagle Rock" promotes a lot of the same group-disclosure,seperate-community think that Cedu did. It's too bad we don't have any Eagle Rock students who post here, I would love to know how isolated they feel from the rest of the world.

I see way to many potential similarities to cedu here, until I know more, I wouldn't recommend Eagle Rock school to anyone.

.[ This Message was edited by: SON OF SERBIA on 2004-12-10 06:46 ]

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »
have you seen the type of stuff that they teach in their classes?  i read an article about one of the classes they had which is how i stumbled across the site; http://www.blogigo.de/ANNEWS/entry/36058
actually, upon reading this the first time, it sounded like a continuous class, but actually lasts only a week.
and you know what, you're kinda right... cedu boasted art-focused education as well, but did they deliver?  FUCK NO!  i had never been in such a-creative bondage in my life... which carried over years after i left.
anyhow, this place sounds more spiritually focused, but i do acknowledge that this is just based on what they're telling me rather than solid facts.

one last thing; their students choose to be there.
aura solomon

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »
Serb, tell us about the school you ended up going to and liking.
hanlea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 05:14:00 PM »
one last thing; their students choose to be there.

That's what makes it better.

students choose to be there.

students choose

That would be the major difference to a teen. Some kind of choice. Not that "you have a choice to be here" bullshit they pulled on us either.

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 03:57:00 PM »
i would've chosen to go there..
aura solomon