Author Topic: Petition to close the abusive Provo Canyon School is gaining  (Read 51842 times)

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Petition to close the abusive Provo Canyon School is gaining
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2004, 08:19:00 PM »
It looks like 800 people have viewed this so far. It would be nice if some of them would sign this petition and express their views on this program.  
Information about PCS and the link to the petition can be found at
http://beyondbusiness.net/index2.htm :smile:

The legislature is to society as a physician is to the patient. If a physician ignored side effects of medications like today's legislators ignore the side effects of their legislation, the physician would be accused of malpractice. I accuse today's legislators (with rare exception) of legislative malpractice. Many of the ills that are so obvious in our society are a direct result of previous legislation. Their solution? More laws!
-- John A. Bennett, DO

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »
O, no worries hon. I just sit here and read bullshit that people say listening to Joe Nichols and I just love to bitch back at them, gives me something to do and a place to channel my anger that I have towards Provo, anyone who wants to pick a fight with me, they can, but I ain't just gonna sit there. I have been thrown on a concrete floor with a knee in my back crushing my lungs and someones knee of my kneck, someone sitting on my arms and then another sitting with they're knees on my legs, just to make sure I wouldn't move when given a shot of Haldol, all because I just yelled out loud in my frustrations in the ob's room trying to get my anger out, I've been told by a staff that they know I'm claustophobic and then was shoved by him into the ob's room and had the door shut on me. I have been publicly humilated by staff in the cafiteria yelling aloud that I was anorexic and bulemic, when I wasn't and am not, kid decided to tell a lie about me when I was new to get some trust for themselves to get off of level one. I've been shoved by staff and slammed into a wall for no reason, been bullied by them and threateded. Shit that people say here is nothing compared to all the shit that I and others have been through, so I am actually quite happy to have a excuse to slam someone. But I understand what you are saying. PCS is a child abusing facility that hides in the dark in a Mormon populated state, so people think that nothing can go wrong there, cause all Mormons are good people, right? Not the abusive Mormon staff that I had, although I have met some really cool Mormons before.  :grin:
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2004, 01:34:00 AM »
Here is the actual wording of the on-line petition:

SIGN PETITION TO CLOSE america?S MOST NOTORIOUS INSTITUTIONALIZED CHILD ABUSE FACILITY: Provo canyon school in provo, utah!

To:  Joint Commission of Health Care Organizations, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Utah Department of Human Services

Provo Canyon School located at 1350 E 750 N, Orem, UT 84097 has a history of torturing America's youth. The lawsuits against them in which they were found guilty of cruel and inhumane treatment and abuse of children include the cases of Mundy v. Charter Medical Corporation dba Provo Canyon School and Milonas and Rice v. Provo Canyon School during the 1980's and 1990's. However, they still proudly claim to be in operation a full 29 years and claim to use the same treatment that has worked so well for their organization over that span of time. We, the American People, do not approve of Provo Canyon School and demand that their accreditation and licensing be removed at once. They have an ongoing reputation for abuse and cruelty and a proven history of culpability in this regard. The Department of Human Services of Utah, the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, and the Joint Commission of Healthcare Organizations must cancel Provo Canyon School's licensing for good and remove all accreditation of Provo Canyon School.

The petition can be accessed at:
http://students.washington.edu/heal/sign.htm

We are a one party country. Half of them call themselves Democrats and the other half call themselves Republicans. All the good ideas come from the Libertarians.
--Hugh Downs

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2004, 02:03:00 AM »
Here is the actual wording of the on-line petition:

SIGN PETITION TO CLOSE america?S MOST NOTORIOUS INSTITUTIONALIZED CHILD ABUSE FACILITY: Provo canyon school in provo, utah!

To:  Joint Commission of Health Care Organizations, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Utah Department of Human Services

Provo Canyon School located at 1350 E 750 N, Orem, UT 84097 has a history of torturing America's youth. The lawsuits against them in which they were found guilty of cruel and inhumane treatment and abuse of children include the cases of Mundy v. Charter Medical Corporation dba Provo Canyon School and Milonas and Rice v. Provo Canyon School during the 1980's and 1990's. However, they still proudly claim to be in operation a full 29 years and claim to use the same treatment that has worked so well for their organization over that span of time. We, the American People, do not approve of Provo Canyon School and demand that their accreditation and licensing be removed at once. They have an ongoing reputation for abuse and cruelty and a proven history of culpability in this regard. The Department of Human Services of Utah, the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, and the Joint Commission of Healthcare Organizations must cancel Provo Canyon School's licensing for good and remove all accreditation of Provo Canyon School.

The petition can be accessed at:
http://students.washington.edu/heal/sign.htm

A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question
about it.
--GW Büsh, Business Week, July 30, 2001

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2004, 03:31:00 AM »
Provo Canyon School has been in business for nearly 30 years and during that time thousands of children have either experienced abuse or witnessed it. This is one of the largest programs in the state of Utah - two facilities with over 300 children.  It is also one of the most expensive $12,500 per month.  There have been numerous reports of abuse and still this school continues to thrive. It is time to shut it down. :nworthy:  :nworthy:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »
A friend of mine went to Provo Canyon School in 1982 - he was seriously abused and has never been the same. He described beatings, drugging, restraints and other unimaginable abuse. From what I've read they are still doing the same. This place should be shut down. No one should be subjected to the torture of Provo Canyon School. The people who do this are truly demented. Do they really believe that they are  helping people? They are permanently ruining some people's lives.

Offline broken doll

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »
It's hard for one to immagine the abuse that takes place at Provo Canyon School. I was there for a short time. My parents finally found out what was going on there and came to rescue me. It doesn't matter what your diagnosis is - everyone is abused in the same manner. We were told that we had to take our medication or we would be forced to take it. We were punished if we moved out of line for any reason. When I went to the bathroom without permission six staff members came in and looked at me and told me to never go to the restroom without permission.
I was punished severely for getting out a chair without permission. I was put in isolation for hours for telling a staff member that they could not read my mail. I was drugged and left for dead. No one treated me with any degree of love or human compassion. My therapist was evil and ordered me into isolation and seclusion which was the worst experience in my life. I can now say that I know what it's like to be a prisoner of war. No one living in a free country should have to be exposed to this type of treatment. Please sign the petition. I don't think the authorities will close it down - but they may get the message that hundreds of people aren't happy that it's open and still abusing kids.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »
Provo Canyon School has been abusing kids for a long time. At one time they used a polygraph machine to interogate kids to determine if they were ready to move up a level. They frequently drug kids with Haldol and allow them to suffer the horrid side effects. They also do not send children out for medical care - that is all taken care of by the administator - phychiatrist Robert Crist - who has been there since 1974.
Please take the time to sign the petition.

Offline Wildpony

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »
I am trying to learn more about the group behind the petition to shut down Provo Canyon School. Does anyone know the organization?
By the way I am a writer doing research on this topic :wave:

Offline Wildpony

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »
I am trying to learn more about the group behind the petition to shut down Provo Canyon School. Does anyone know the organization?
By the way I am a writer doing research on this topic :wave:

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »
The petition was created by a former student of Provo Canyon School - she is now a law student at the University of Washington and an activist in the effort to warn the public about the abuses that occur at specialty programs for teens.

Important Note: Please sign the *NEW* Close Provo Canyon School Now Petition at: http://www.beyondbusiness.net/closepcs.htm

***    A Hacker has infiltrated and destroyed the first two online petitions.  Please sign the new petition linked above!

I wrote the following in a state of outrage that continues to inspire me to this day.  While the words may be inflamed, the sentiment is real and reflects the way that survivors of programs like Provo Canyon School and associated with the http://www.mytroubledteen.com/ and http://www.teenprogram.info/ sites feel.  I am no longer a child.  I am 30 years old and suffer from Post Traumatic Stress caused by the torture that Provo Canyon School staff put me through while I was in their care in 1989.  I ask that if you are a parent, you think long and hard about your responsibility and your child.  Your child needs you and your support.  If you ship them away to a WWASPS program or similar program as found at http://www.mytroubledteen.com/ and http://www.teenprogram.info you?d be better off shooting them in the head, it is certain that it would be far more loving of a gesture than sending them to a WWASPS program or similar program as found at http://www.mytroubledteen.com/ and http://www.teenprogram.info/.  Please check out this news article from the Washington Times at http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/2 ... -4985r.htm.  Congressman George Miller of CA demanded an investigation into the allegations from parents and survivors who are living proof of the torture received at the WWASPS programs.  Anyone who tells you that these programs are beneficial is trying to make money off of you.  I am not, I am only trying to help and protect the children from a lifetime of nightmares.  The following is a direct and impassioned statement regarding my experience as well as the feelings and thoughts said experience inspired.  Please read with the understanding that sending your child to a WWASPS program or similar program as found at http://www.mytroubledteen.com and http://www.teenprogram.info is like sending them into a burning building and my plea is that you get them out if already in or stop yourself and see the flames yourself before you have your child forever lost to nightmares and debilitating injury.

Parents seem to have forgotten the wildness of their youth and are unable to deal responsibly with their children when the behavior exhibited is not what they find to be desirable. Please understand that children are people. Teenagers are people. They are individuals who have developed into who they are because of the upbringing they received. If the parents don't know how to deal with the inconvenience of parenthood then they ship their children off to militant nazi camps to be maimed, killed, or brainwashed into submission. This is not acceptable!

If your teenager is out of control take the responsibility on yourself! If your teenager is staying out all night, partying, doing drugs, being sexually active, and skipping school, then there is a problem. The problem is that you didn't do a good job raising them. You didn't have time to spend with them so you spent money on them. Now, when they are old enough to cause some real financial damage or social embarrassment you want to make rules. Rules that were never in place as they were growing up. Rules that make absolutely no sense to a young person who has never been shown the ropes. When these rules are not obeyed you throw up your hands and send them to HELL! You say, "Maybe the devil can do something with you, I can't." But, what you are truly thinking is that you don't have the time to be a parent. You have a life, and you will be damned if some snot-nosed teenager is going to infringe on your adulthood. You had enough people infringing on your life when you were a kid. So, now this kid of yours is on his/her own. If you don't want to parent, don't become one! Once you take on the responsibility of parenting, you cannot dump it off on someone else when things get a little more inconvenient than you would prefer.

Get group counseling with a qualified family therapist. Talk to your kids and find out what the problem is and how it can be resolved. Speak to them and work out an agreement that works for everyone involved. Don't assume that because your name is Mom or Dad that this person is going to swing whichever way your particular wind is blowing. You didn't raise them with rules. You let them get away with everything. As a teenager, the same rules should apply. If you want to change the name of the game, you need to explain. This takes time, people! You can't say you don't have time and send away your little problems to hellish boot camps and reform programs. If you do, you are screaming to your child that you don't care. You are telling them that they don't matter. And, you are sending them to a place so rigid and strict that it will drive them insane. You can't send a person from a completely free environment to an extremely oppressive environment just because you don't like the inconvenience. It isn't right.

I spent three months in a reform school called Provo Canyon School located in Provo, UT. I had spent the previous three months in a psychiatric hospital for depression. I heard about this great private school from a fellow patient and it sounded wonderful. The school was supposedly college preparatory and the focus was education. I was abused by my stepfather and I didn't want to return home. This school sounded like a dream come true. It was a co-ed campus with a merit system. The focus was supposed to be school. But, that is not what went on. I talked my mom into letting me go to this school. She was hesitant, but didn't want to say no because she wasn't sure what the living situation would be if I returned home while she was still married to him. She agreed to let me go.

While I was there I witnessed abuse in the extreme. Staff members were physically abusing students and demanding that students attack each other at their request. One girl was put in a coma. When she was seen around campus again she had a broken nose, broken ribs, and a broken arm. Prior to my leaving a boy tried to escape. He returned in a body cast. I asked them why they didn't tell their parents what was going on. They said their parents didn't care. I couldn't believe it. But, now I know it's true. It makes me sick. Teenage girls were locked in rooms, beaten, starved, and drugged. I don't know if the boys suffered the same or worse. I, being a female, was only allowed access to the girls area of the compound during non-school hours. People were punished for not making their beds up to PCS standards. However, PCS standards were never known. We were just told what wasn't good enough.

My mom rescued me. I wrote her and my grandmother and even my absentee father until I was saved. I was so grateful. But, I was also very resentful. I was resentful that I had to spend three months in that hellhole.

Years later a friend of mine who I had known at the hospital and Provo contacted me. We renewed our friendship for a short time. I found out he had resorted back to his life of crime and we decided it would be best if we ended our friendship. I asked him what the hell Provo was about and what the real deal was there. He had spent two years there and I wanted to know what the real rules were. He explained a sick hierarchy, which included the staff. As students moved up the hierarchy they were given more freedom and more tasks. The tasks included weakening those on the lower tiers by beating them and breaking their spirit. I was so disgusted.

You may be wondering why we didn't sue them. We threatened to. I was fifteen years old and so glad to be out of that school. We went to a lawyer because Provo was threatening to sue us for the remainder of the tuition and fees. The lawyer wrote them and said we would be filing our own suit against them for the horrors they exposed me to and that we would expose them for the monsters they are. They never contacted us again. I wanted to forget. Unfortunately, I never have.

I remember the sounds of the wounded moaning in pain. I remember seeing my friend who tried to escape in a full body cast. I remember the girl who was in the coma. I remember the friends I left behind. It's a war. This school is still operating. This school is still tormenting our youth. They are not alone.

I beg of you, do not send your child to a program or school that is too far for you to visit weekly or daily if need be. Pick a program, hospital, or school that is in your state and near your home. If there isn't any available, find a different way to solve your family problems. The movie Sleepers was not fictional. This stuff does go on. People are being tortured and killed and the people in power hide it and the people of the public don't want to know. We cannot hide ourselves. If we do, we kill our children and create a new breed of hate and monsters for the future. If my mom had lived near Provo, she would have visited on receipt of the first letter. She would have seen the condition I was in and I would not have been forced to stay as long as I did. Because, I was out of sight, I was out of mind.

I worked for a national bank for a while on the e-mail team a few years back. We received an e-mail from a woman who had sent her child to a program located thousands of miles from her in a U.S. province but not a state. It wasn't Puerto Rico. She had applied for a loan from the bank, which had been approved. That money was used to pay the child's fees in this program. She hadn't heard from her child in months. She was very worried. She tried contacting the program heads and they gave her the run around. She had no money to fight. She was worried and scared. She knew of two children that were dead and others presumed missing from the program. She had a lawyer but she needed some real money in order to battle for the right to retrieve her child. She was told she had signed a waiver and that it was best if she didn't concern herself with her child. Now, she was running out of funds and still no word of her child. She thought threatening the bank would get some action. We couldn't help her. She signed away her rights. There was nothing anyone could do. She said she just wanted her son back. She didn't care anymore about anything but that. She was now devoting her life to his return.

Don't let this happen to you. Do not send your children to a place that looks good on paper. Don't send your children to a program far away from your home that you cannot monitor in person. Do not sign away your rights to contact your child. Believe that they need you and you need them. Believe that you are an integral part of their rehabilitation. Do not allow these groups and programs to tell you that you are not needed and that they know what's best for your child. They don't. They just want your money and to pursue their own sick fantasies with your children. Don't let them. For additional information from personal accounts of the tragedies at Provo Canyon School (and other behavior modification institutions) visit these sites http://www.teenliberty.org, http://papamugz.tripod.com/, http://www.RyanFraidenburgh.com, http://students.washington.edu/heal, for more on my story click here, for everything I remember about my stay at PCS and my official statement click here.

I am compiling a list, along with other volunteers, of abusive treatment programs through out the country.  The list in progress can be found at http://www.beyondbusiness.net/childtortureusa.htm.  If you would like to take on specific programs or programs in specific states to research and get back to me on, that would be of great help.  You can volunteer to do this by contacting me through the message board or via e-mail.  If you are a brainwashed parent or one of the abusers, do not e-mail me unless you want your message to be filed in the file for the growing list of individuals to be sued for harassment.  

I welcome feedback of all kinds.  Most of the people who visit this site are other survivors who wish to contact someone who understands their suffering.  Some people visit it to see what is said about PCS because they are looking for a place for their own children.  Some visit because they are employees of PCS and wish to see what people are saying about their institution.   Please take a moment to sign the new petition at http://www.beyondbusiness.net/closepcs.htm.  

If you are a fellow survivor, please take a moment to inform the United Nations Council on Human Rights about your experience with Provo Canyon School, WWASPS, Resource Realizations, or similar programs as can be found at http://www.mytroubledteen.com/ and http://www.teenprogram.info/.  The link is: http://www.unhchr.ch/html/hchr/contact.htm.  Thank you.

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
--Rep. Robert L. Henry, TX December 22, 1914 (quoting Lincoln)

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »
On 2004-05-22 14:28:00, Wildpony wrote:

"

By the way I am a writer doing research on this topic :wave: "

What's your name writer, who's to say you are for real? Is this Shane Johnson from the salt lake city weekly newspaper?
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

Offline Wildpony

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »
No - this is not Shane. I am not affiliated with that weekly. I found this site through an internet search some months ago. Who is to say anyone is real on this posting?
 I prefer not to disclose my identity at this point because of how suit-happy WWASPS can be - ie the defamation claim filed against the UPI reporter.
 I am not mining this board looking for crap against the organization because I have no ax to grind. I do, however, feel that since this is a Utah based organization, Utah media would do well to stay informed on what's going on out there regarding the program or its affiliates.
  The petition, therefore, struck my interest because it appears recent....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2004, 08:15:00 PM »
The petition is relatively new. The previous petitions were destroyed by hackers. So far this third petition is working.

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2004, 12:20:00 AM »
On 2004-05-24 10:09:00, Wildpony wrote:

"No - this is not Shane. I am not affiliated with that weekly. I found this site through an internet search some months ago. Who is to say anyone is real on this posting?

I prefer not to disclose my identity at this point because of how suit-happy WWASPS can be - ie the defamation claim filed against the UPI reporter.

I am not mining this board looking for crap against the organization because I have no ax to grind. I do, however, feel that since this is a Utah based organization, Utah media would do well to stay informed on what's going on out there regarding the program or its affiliates.

The petition, therefore, struck my interest because it appears recent...."

wow, didn't know WWASAPS was doing that, dumbass'. I wouldn't say who I was either then. I understand how its hard to say who's real or not though, but I'm real, I guess you just kinda gotta hope that people don't have to lie who they are just ot voice they're opinion, I mean we are suppose to have freedom of speech, yes? You can go to this link and scroll down the page and then you should find some colored word that reads E-MAIL. That e-mail addy belongs to the young woman who started the petition, she can give you more info.

http://www.beyondbusiness.net/index2.htm