Author Topic: Petition to close the abusive Provo Canyon School is gaining  (Read 50908 times)

Offline spots

• View Profile
Petition to close the abusive Provo Canyon School is gaining
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »
On 2004-04-25 13:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What about the kids that write to friends or extended family and say they're being abused when they're not?  Most of them are writing these kinds of letters to the parents and sending it to friends and others who may believe it would only cause problems for the parents.  

I know that parents at a WWASPS program can send letters from friends and others.  Those contacts cannot send them without the parents approval.  I get the reason, and don't agree it causes SS that the kids are in some jeopardy of SS. Their friends are part of the problem and have plenty of time to work that out.  

You're looking at this as the friends are their only connection to home. NOT.  "

Let me give you an example of how your reasoning is flawed.  Kids in WWASPS facilities are not simply dis-allowed from written communication with teen friends (the Bad Influences).  WWASPS limits communication with EVERYONE!!  This includes limits (and/or the total blockage) of written communication with PARENTS...as well as friends, extended family, government officials who represent them as citizens, reporters, old school teachers.  This is Isolation Tactic 101, the basic, first-mentioned technique in first-CIA-chief Allen Dulles' letter to J. Edgar Hoover in 1952, explaining what brainwashing was.  It was not called Stockholm Syndrome then, because the Stockholm incident occurred later in the early '60's, but the forced complete reliance on One Single Authority ("there's nobody else on this planet who cares about you, Dude, so you better learn to like us") isn't new. So many survivors repeat the same mantra (so I believe it) that the first "therapy" sessions are a heavy load of "Your parents sent you away because they're fed up with you", and the parents are encouraged by the case managers to write their children, telling them about the wonderful vacation the parents are now enjoying without their lying, manipulating, ungrateful kids. These hateful letters from parents are likely to "get through", whereas parental letters full of angst about whether The Program is really the best thing for the kid will hit the trash as soon as the case manager reads it.  I know this from personal experience.

Kids at one WWASPS facility (with which I am terribly familiar) are marched to the computer lab every Monday, and required to produce an email to parents.  E-mails are easily tampered with by staff, and the evidence is non-existent, except for an oddly-jumbled, thoughts-not-running-consistently sort of syntax you WWASPie parents may recognize.  My grandchild dutifully wrote her weekly email, but her mother (and I, who also received her carefully-worded letters after the staff had censored them) only received 2 letters during the first 6 weeks of incarceration.  Now, one year later, it appears I received about 30% of her letters, and she received about 75% of mine (which were progressively more "cautious" in my wording, as I realized she was not seeing a lot of my previous weekly written chats).  Most [or all] of my letters (which had to be sent in a large manilla evelope to her mother, and forwarded in turn to the facility) made it through the parents, but were squashed by the facility.  About 3 months into her incarceration, I received her letter, apologizing for "being a black hole that sucks the goodness out of our family".  This letter from her obviously fit right in with what WWASPS was trying to convince her of.  I fired off an answer, in carefully-worded Righteous Indignation, about her precious value to our family, her inate goodness, her special place in our world.  For some reason, this mail got through to her...maybe somebody on staff who read it didn't really understand English all that well. I know this because she told me (unsolicited) a year later about how important my letter was to her.

I wrote back and forth to her mother, heaping reams of negative information I was finding...from the Internet, from personal conversations with parents and kids from WWASPS, from inquiries to government and media investigators.  When I forwarded the front-page  New York Times article about her facility in mid-May 2003, I was abruptly terminated from communicating with this grandaughter who had lived a good percentage of her life with us.  I was "not positive and supportive of the Program...", and would be allowed no further communication with her.  Oddly, we did receive an email out of the blue on July 8, 2003.  It was chatty, and disorganized (and the spelling and grammar had degenerated so far after 8 months in "self-taught" school that it was difficult to follow).  She "brought us up to date", so somehow knew that we had not been receiving her *weekly* letters in the last 3 months, as she knew she had not received my frequent letters filled with pictures from home.  The last paragraph (the meat of the letter, and obviously why this particular letter was forwarded to us) was her suggestion that I "back off", and forget my political activism against WWASPS.  Seems Casa didn't like the heat.  As usual, the letter was ended with a whole line of XOXOXO's.  A year later, she told us she was directed to write this by the staff at the facility.

She has been living with us now for 5 months, attending high school, and doing quite well.  She is at a volleyball tournament this weekend.  She awakens sometimes, crying in the night, but simply says "It was a Casa dream".  She spent her Spring Break week back in her old home-town, staying with an old friend (one of the Evil Friends whom I really like...and whose family bent over backward to accomodate, their most powerful effort to make up for what they believe happened to her in WWASPS).  This long-time friend was not allowed to write her either...nor were her aunts and uncles, her cousins, anybody who was "anti-Proram"...which was the whole world who knew where she was.  To more-casual friends, she had simply "disappeared", and she was not able to write to them to tell them where she was.  She was not allowed to write to her mother to tell her she was in solitary confinement for more than 2 months straight.  She was not allowed to write us (grandparents) to tell us how terrified and desperate she felt without any support system of family in place.  She was not allowed to write government officials about seeing friends come back with bleeding sores on their knees from hours kneeling in R&R.  She could not write to her mother about girls in her group who had permanent scars on their chins from being hogtied on a cement floor over and over.  She could not write to the media about girls finally pushed out the stockade gates at 18, miles from town, alongside a Mexican freeway, with little money and no protection.  

You say, "You're looking at this as the friends are their only connection to home.  NOT".  You are incredibly naive, stupid, or just downright mean to think that isolation is simply to keep these awful kids away from the evil friends from "before".  This is terrible short-sightedness (or real idiocy and dismal parental skills) if you think bad friends made all your problems. I can see why you would think throwing money at this scam would solve your problem. If you really can't find the answer, pay somebody to do it for you.  

Oh, FWIW, she did have a nice lunch at a restaurant with her mother over spring break.  Their relationship is strained and limited.  The rest of our large extended family has disowned the mother, who lives her life with the step-father, sadly devoid of friends, one of her two daughters, and the large circle that was her world, previous to WWASPS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2004, 08:30:00 PM »
[/QUOTE]How was PURE involved in any of the above and why do you believe it[/QUOTE]

It is the same small group of people who support PURE.  All three of your examples have been influenced, manipulated, contaminated, etc. by PURE.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »
Spots is very much on the inside of the PURE commando.  Anyone that has ANY experience of a WWASP program will only laugh at her story.  I don't believe the family disowned the mother, I believe the mother is getting as far away from her mother (SPOTS) as possible.  How dare you post this garbage.  You are evil as evidenced by a previous thread.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... forum=9&15

I'm not sure why this turned into a wwasp thread, even when it's directed at other programs.  Please start another wwasp bashing thread.  I'd like to learn more about Provo Canyon from those that have been there.

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 12:48:00 AM »
On 2004-04-25 13:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What about the kids that write to friends or extended family and say they're being abused when they're not?  Most of them are writing these kinds of letters to the parents and sending it to friends and others who may believe it would only cause problems for the parents.  

I know that parents at a WWASPS program can send letters from friends and others.  Those contacts cannot send them without the parents approval.  I get the reason, and don't agree it causes SS that the kids are in some jeopardy of SS. Their friends are part of the problem and have plenty of time to work that out.  

You're looking at this as the friends are their only connection to home. NOT.  "

I don't give a crap whether you agree or not.

You want people off your back, and I told you which reform would be a solid start towards that and which is absolutely non-negotiable.

Do you understand what "non negotiable" means?

It means I will vocally and vehemently oppose your programs and any programs that don't allow open mail contact to and from the outside world and not just the parents.

Being a published author, I may have more opportunity to reach people as time goes on than some others have.  And I have been a persuasive part of other efforts on other issues---efforts that started small and were ultimately successful at getting the legislation we sought passed into law.

I don't intend to wait around for your agreement.

This--free, open, and uncensored mail contact with the outside world--is one of the minimum reforms necessary to clean up the "teen help" industry.

I intend to vocally and actively seek that reform regardless of what the Programs or their advocates think of it.

Frankly, if a facility can't treat a kid successfully *without* isolating that kid from frequent, uncensored mail contact with friends and extended family, then their "treatment" isn't worth a plug nickel.

Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

You want people off your Program's back?  Then you'd better clean house and let sunshine into your dark corners---because if you don't, society *will*.  Your time to do it on your own is running out, fast.

The last struggles of a great superstition are very frequently the worst.
--Andrew Dickson White (1832-1918)

Offline Kiwi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »
On 2004-04-25 16:41:00, Antigen wrote:

"How was PURE involved in any of the above and why do you believe it?

It is the same small group of people who support PURE.  All three of your examples have been influenced, manipulated, contaminated, etc. by PURE."

Repeating your allegation does not answer Ginger's question.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »
This is about Provo Canyon School.  There was one poster who wanted to know who I was. I'm a parent of a child who was abused and injured at Provo Canyon School.  I AM a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL with over 20 years of clinical experience. I have done extensive research since my daughter's experience and I know about the WWASP organization.  They're methods are NOT based on sound principles - Lichfield has no degree in psychology or any other scientific field. There are hundreds of testimonials detailing the abuse at WWASP facilities that include: sexual abuse, hog tying, isolation for up to 18 months in an observation room, rape, molestation, verbal and emotional abuse, beatings, forced drugging, and other torture.  What they are doing to children is considered torture under the UN treaty - this is a violation of INTERNATIONAL LAW. All of these horrid dens of pain, torture, humiliation and human degredation must be closed and reformed under stringent guidelines to protect the vulnerable and disenfranchised children who are powerless to escape these inhumane conditions.  

The Constitution of the United States is a law for rulers and people equally in war and peace. And covers with the shield of it's protection all classes of men at all times and under all circumstances.
--US Supreme Court, Ex Parte Milligan

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »
On 2004-04-25 17:42:00, Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure why this turned into a wwasp thread, even when it's directed at other programs.  

Because you insisted that the mere mention of Lichfield having been associated w/ Provo Canyon made this a WWASP thread, wise ass!

Jeeze!

I don't go lookin' for trouble. I just keep a little in a box should someone come by who is.
--Bill Warbis

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »
Hi Cherish Wisdom,

I'm sorry about your daughter, and indeed, all children who are the victims of maltreatment while in the care and custody of these places.  I'm curious as to what led you to choose this particular program over any other.  Given your professional background, it would seem you'd have a distinct advantage over other parents to steer clear of the more controversial programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2004, 09:08:00 AM »
On 2004-04-26 21:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

it would seem you'd have a distinct advantage over other parents to steer clear of the more controversial programs.

"

Listen, they all suck, and they all use similar techniques.

Crap, its like beating a dead horse. When will some people open their eyes and see the elephant in the room?

You cannot put a kid thru "behavior modification" which entails breaking them down emotionally and destroying their ego then rebuilding them in the group image without causing some damage.

I don't care what you wrap this shit in, christianity, love of children, discipline, drug rehab or wilderness therapy, you still have shit at the core...

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2004, 09:09:00 AM »
that was me, forgot to log in...

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2004, 09:10:00 AM »

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »
In answer to the question of why we chose PCS:

First of all, even medical professionals are not aware of the GULAG schools for teens. If you look at the PCS website there is nothing at all to indicate that it is an abusive behavior modification center. We went on a tour with our child and asked questions for two hours.  All seemed favorable.  PCS has a four star rating on one web-site. Also we had family nearby. The facility looks great. We were told that she would go to school and saw all of the classes offered. We were told she would go to church - therapy five times per week, dances, movies, outings, snowmobiling, cross country skiing. None of that happened. Instead she was punished almost immidiately for an entire month. We were not allowed to talk to her as was promised. We were lied to. She only went outside once in a month - into a caged in tennis court for 15 minutes.  For most of the time she sat and stared at a wall. She was punished with isolation and seclusion for speaking out about her maltreatment in a group therapy session - then she wasn't allowed to do anything - even look at another student or smile.  
Provo Canyon School is where many of the administrators and owners of other abusive programs got their start. PCS is where Robert Lichfield and Karr Farnsworth met and learned the ropes of the abusive problem teen industry. Most of the programs in Utah are modeled after PCS. It is notorious.  This is why it must be closed. Please take a moment to sign the petition and look at the comments that have been made. The petition and the comments can be found at the following web-sites:

http://students.washington.edu/heal#teen
http://beyondbusiness.net/index2.htm

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
--Anonymous

[ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2004-04-27 07:22 ]
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »
Anon #1, of the 232 signers so far, how many do you imagine are helpless puppets of Sue Scheff?

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats---approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.
--Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom:

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »
the above case is a good place to start if you want to know about provo.
a/k/a "the hair dance" case.

WP

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2004, 11:51:00 PM »
So Ginger, do you not see that Cherish Wisdom has gone one a WWASP tangent on this board?  This posting is more directed at WWASP than it is at Provo Canyon School.  Check out the new threads this person has started.  PURE doesn't refer to either place because they aren't allowed to.  Get it??

I'm not saying PCS isn't involved in some sort of lawsuit.  Could be the same smoke screen that PURE has instigated against WWASP.  Anybody out there want to spill the beans on what they know?