Author Topic: Petition to close the abusive Provo Canyon School is gaining  (Read 51853 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Petition to close the abusive Provo Canyon School is gaining
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
Have you ever realized that some of the parents who send their kids to these places are abusive parents? The parents don't seem to care that their children are being roughed up. There's an attitude that all parents have. They almost like it that their undisciplined tyke is finally getting the kind of discipline that they would get arrested for inflicting upon them.  
Honestly - if we could construct the same types of locked, cold, isolation rooms like Provo Canyon School - we would have no problem controling our children - we'd have problems with Child Protective Services - and be arrested for child abuse.  
For some reason these youth programs can inflict inhumane abuse in the name of treatment and the authorities think nothing of it.    :flame:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »
If you'd like to view the petition it can be found at:
http://www.beyondbusiness.net/closepcs.htm
The signatures can be viewse at:
http://students.washington.edu/heal/sign.htm

There are some interesting comments that can be viewed.   :rofl:

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2004, 10:41:00 PM »
The signatures can now be viewed at
http://www.heal-online.org/sign.htm

There are some interesting comments about the program.  [ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2004-05-30 19:42 ]
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2004, 12:23:00 AM »
On 2004-05-29 15:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Have you ever realized that some of the parents who send their kids to these places are abusive parents? The parents don't seem to care that their children are being roughed up. There's an attitude that all parents have. They almost like it that their undisciplined tyke is finally getting the kind of discipline that they would get arrested for inflicting upon them.  

Honestly - if we could construct the same types of locked, cold, isolation rooms like Provo Canyon School - we would have no problem controling our children - we'd have problems with Child Protective Services - and be arrested for child abuse.  

For some reason these youth programs can inflict inhumane abuse in the name of treatment and the authorities think nothing of it.    :flame: "

Yep, there does not seem to be any shortage of parents who can afford to abuse their kids by proxy which is the main reason why the authorities think nothing of it.  Why should they considering the fact that these places are PARENT-FUNDED, not state-funded.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »
Where's the petition to STOP PARENT-FUNDED CHILD ABUSE?  

:flame:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »
On 2004-05-27 19:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I don't think it's that much of a mystery "why" so many emotional growth, behavior modification or residential treatment programs are in Utah.  The State gives parents the "right" to be parents.  Utah residents are family values oriented, though they don't define what those values are for each person.  Too many States give children the right to dictate, control and abuse their parents.  THey know if they say don't want to get help, they don't have to stop the behavior or the drugs.  They can just say NO and continue to control.

Is it a Mormon thing why Utah is open to parents making decisions for their child?

Amy, look outside Utah as well and to what kinds of help are available.  There's not much in the way of anything outside of a quick fix or mandated insurance guidelines.

In one of the threads I read about these programs being a multi-million a year industry.  It's a much healthier way to help families, for the mostpart, than the multi-million dollar a year drug companies living fat from feeding our kids prescribed medication.  The commercials show a warm and fuzzy result from telling us it's okay to give your kids new and improved ADD meds as an answer to defiant behavior.  That's what I call wrong.

"

Yeah, you're the kind of nutbar that the rest of us in mainstream society want to reign in so that twenty years down the road we're not having to deal with *your* kids (or the kids of people who think like you) as perpetrators of crime and abuse as they become predators to cope with the psychological fear and pain from having been childhood victims of abuse.

See, not all of the victims of these abused children grown up to become perpetrators are *their own* kids----sometimes they go out and abuse *other* people's kids.  Like, for example, the kids of those of us in mainstream society.

We in the mainstream cannot afford to allow you fringe idiots to raise up a future generation of fringe idiots and monsters---your problems and the legacy of your bad behavior are too likely to spill over onto us and our own children.

I want federal laws and federal standards for *any* boarding school that accepts out of state students.

I'd prefer that *no* children be abused, but I'd settle for having all the nutbars like you move to Utah where your future generations won't endanger *my* kids and grandkids and great-grandkids and so on.

Why do I think you're probably abusive?  Because if you think the very basic protections kids in the mainstream US have from abuse and neglect amount to "dictating" and "control" over their parents, then you have *lousy* boundaries.

I hate to use psychobabble, but I really don't know of a better plain-English term for someone like yourself who doesn't know where one person ends and another begins to the point that you would describe the right not to be abused or neglected by parents as "control over" the parents.

It's not the kid controlling the parents, it's society controlling the parents by imposing the same standards of care on adult society members if they want to raise a child that most good parents would impose on a child who wants to raise a puppy.

Just like parents do for the little kid that doesn't want to take responsibility for caring for the puppy, society allows for parents who don't want to take responsibility for caring for their children to sign that care over to another consenting adult, or in some cases directly to the foster care system.

Even in states that don't provide for parents to sign their kids over to foster care just because they don't want the responsibility, it's fairly easy (if you just don't want the responsibility of not abusing or neglecting your kid) to convince Child Protective Services that you're an unfit parent and they need to remove the kids.

That you blame the kids for this control instead of seeing, rightly, that it's the rest of us in society who are controlling those parents----that tendency to blame the kids for the control we your fellow voters are exercising over you makes me concerned that you would take out your frustration with us, your fellow voters, on the kids---which is what leads me to form the opinion that you're probably a bad parent, if you're a parent at all.

My husband and I abide by society's rules on abuse and neglect, and we certainly have control over our child and not the other way around.

We have control over her because we all love each other and our approval is important to her, and we control the pocket money, and we control the TV, and she knows we will spank if necessary, and we control opportunities to do fun things she wants to do----we have the will and ability to do nice things for her, and she can rely on us for *good* advice on when she's cruising for life to spank her.  She understands that parents sometimes spank because life spanks harder.  She's a good kid.

If your child is out of your control, either it's a temporary illusion of adolescence, or your child is out of his/her own control (for example, mentally ill), or you're incompetent.

The tools mainstream society allows---rewards of all sorts, mild physical punishment when necessary, and that endless fount of parental control: The Good Talking-To, all applied consistently---are adequate to control any child that is not mentally ill or mentally disabled.  If a child *is* mentally ill or mentally disabled, society allows, and supports, the use of doctor-prescribed medications and therapies to bring the child back under his own control--and thus under his parents'.  Again, entirely adequate.

If you think those tools are *not* adequate and that you have to add the right to torture a kid or break his will (which breaks the kid--in the sense that it leaves him "broken"=permanently damaged) to get compliance, then you either aren't a parent, or shouldn't be one.

If you think a child's will needs to be broken to raise him properly, you shouldn't be entrusted with a puppy or a kitten, let alone a human child.

Get into therapy and work on your "boundary issues" and take some parenting classes.  Then raise a dog before you try having a kid.  

Or stick to houseplants.

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »
That was me.

Timoclea

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
-- Ben Franklin At the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2004, 09:58:00 PM »
This was taken from the comments section of the petition:

This inhumane place needs to be shut down!!!!  It?s absolutely disgusting that this abusive and neglecting center is still open. Why does America stand for this kind of abuse to its children?? SHUT IT DOWN! How can anyone justify shooting a child up with Thorazine, or sexually abusing a child, or denying a child medical attention. I've seen all these happen in my 11-month stay there in 1990-1991. God help those that are in there now, and those of us that are left to deal with the "demons" since we have left.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »
I don't know if this petition will work, but I do know that Provo Canyon School is quite abusive. It was once known as the program of last resort. Of course they have tried to change this immage - but they haven't lightened up on the punishment. All are treated the same and those who buck the system will suffer greatly.
If it can be closed down - it should be. Many of the programs in Utah are extremely punitive and abusive because Provo Canyon School was one of the first major programs and those who branched off learned Provo's methods and incorportated those methods into their programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »
My boyfriend was sent to Provo Canyon School many years ago. The horrors changed him for the rest of his life. It did not help him in any way. It sounds like things are still the same. This place needs to be shut down.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »
This inhumane place needs to be shut down!!!!  It?s absolutely disgusting that this abusive and neglecting center is still open. Why does America stand for this kind of abuse to its children?? SHUT IT DOWN! How can anyone justify shooting a child up with Thorazine, or sexually abusing a child, or denying a child medical attention. I've seen all these happen in my 11-month stay there in 1990-1991. God help those that are in there now, and those of us that are left to deal with the "demons" since we have left.

:flame:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2004, 02:20:00 AM »
This was a comment from the petition - by J.S. a survivor of PCS:

ATTENTION PARENTS - ATTENTION PARENTS ---- If you truly love your child you will not be deceived by PCS.  Their tactics and lies are evil in more ways than one.  I was locked up at PCS in 1988/1989.

FALSE ADVERTISING

PCS mislead my parents in the 80's and I am sure they are doing the same now.  PCS has pamphlets that show the numerous activities that the child will take part in once at the school.  This simply does not happen.  Neither does the therapy sessions that are meant to help the child.  PCS is not truly a "school."  Although the teachers could be just as vindictive as the counselors who were hopped up on steroids, employees of PCS saw school as a privilege for the child.  The counselors would often not allow children to attend classes so that they would always have some kids to punish during the day.  I was at PCS for fourteen months and probably attended class about six of those months.  

ABUSE - PHYSICAL AND MENTAL

For minor misbehavior or no bad behavior at all, the child would be made to stare at a wall anywhere from three to ten hours a day.  For many children including myself, this would result in dizzy spells.  This was mainly because of the room that this was taking place.  It was in a unit of the school that had locked doors and no windows.  During my stay there was a time when I stared at a wall ten hours a day for six months straight.  There were other eight foot by eight foot rooms that were used for solitary confinement.  I was locked in solitary for over 24 hours once, and I have seen friends locked in for over three days for what counselors would regard as a "poor attitude."  PHYSICAL ABUSE would often occur as well.  Almost daily you would see a small child slammed to the floor by a 250+ pound BYU football player.  Of course these goons had absolutely no credentials to work these positions.  Most of them were not bright and resort to violence when they were frustrated with a child.

INSURANCE FRAUD

This may be an area that does not receive as much focus as the other complaints by former students.  However, this is something that is very disturbing and very real.  According to the staff members at PCS, your child is so fucked up and such a mess until the time when your insurance begins to run out.  You will be told that your child is (magically) transformed into a well-adjusted person only when your insurance is gone and you are no longer of any value to them.  Another disturbing fact is the financial compensation that Psychiatrists across the United States would receive for referring parents to PCS.

I have dozens of disturbing stories regarding my stay at PCS but it is probably best that I do not get into all of the specifics in this forum.

EVERYTHING WE SPEAK OF IS TRUE

As someone who endured fourteen horrible months in such an evil place, I see it as my duty to educate parents about what PCS is truly all about.

Though I feel that sites like this are a positive thing for former students, friends, and family, I am also very aware of the amount of power and wealth held by PCS (PCS was owned by The Charter Corporation when I was there).  I have knowledge of payoffs that PCS has made to former students in order to stay out of court.  The class action lawsuit (twenty+ students) that I was a part of in the late 90's was only thrown out by the judge due to the statute of limitations law.  Previous to that ruling PCS had tried to settle with all of us for about $5,000 which was an incredible insult.  We are talking about an evil facility that is absolutely petrified of receiving bad press and going through a huge trial.  They know that if they ever go to court and the truth comes out they will be forced to pay up big time.

I have always been consistent in saying that as much as it would be nice for me to receive financial compensation for what PCS put me and my family through, I would rather not receive a dime if it meant that PCS would be shut down.

By the way, there are hundreds more former students out there that don't even know that this forum and ones like it exist.

THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS--

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS--

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »
I've read at least one hundred different accounts of abuse at Provo Canyon School. After my own child was abused there I have done all that I can to notify authorities in an effort to protect other children. So far the authorities have done nothing. I don't know if a petition will move them to action - but it will show them that there are hundreds of people out there who know about it.

Save our planet; it's the only one with chocolate!

--Andi, domestic goddess

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »
CW - do you live in Utah or another state?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »
On 2004-06-14 10:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"CW - do you live in Utah or another state? "

Also, didn't I read somewhere that you are Mormon?