Author Topic: Petition to close the abusive Provo Canyon School is gaining  (Read 50991 times)

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Petition to close the abusive Provo Canyon School is gaining
« on: April 25, 2004, 01:33:00 AM »
More than 200 former students, their loved ones and human rights activists have signed a petition to close Provo Canyon School. The petition asks the authorities to shut down this facility that has a "history of torturing America's youth."  Many have made comments about there abuse which includes, forced drugging, denial of necessary medical care, punishment with isolation and seclusion, sleep deprivation and other physical, emotional and psychological abuses.  If you'd like to view the petition it can be found at:
http://www.beyondbusiness.net/closepcs.htm
The signatures can be viewed at:
http://www.heal-online.org/sign.htm
This is the MOTHER OF ALL ABUSIVE PROGRAMS.  If you think WWASPS is bad - this is where the founder of WWASPS - Robert Lichfield - learned the ropes of abusive behavior modification. He dropped out of college to be the Residential Director of Provo Canyon School.  Of course he is now a mega-millionair as a result of his savy in the torture teen industry. He's so wealthy that he gives nearly $300,000 to the GOP - and circumvents campaign limits by naming his children as donors as well. Please take a moment to sign this petition.  
Check out the illegal campain activity of the Lichfield clan of Utah at: http://www.opensecrets.org
 :nworthy:  :nworthy:

"If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
You mention WWASPS.  Has the WWASPS organization, any of their schools, been found guilty of abuse?  It's well documented that a few have closed, but there was never a case of abused documented, only alleged.  It is also well documented that the PURE organization and ISAC have put allegations out on the internet, and WWASPS is suing PURE, and possibly individuals for defamation.

Provo Canyon is a separate program.  Similar yes, but not the same.  

I think you've discounted the thousand plus families that have turned their lives around and instead, focused on the few that didn't get what they expected, and that's going to happen in any human service. Not everyone agrees with their model, but don't discount the positives stated by so many more than a handful of people.  

In contrast, Provo have been found guilty of what is alleged.  WWASPS never has.  This so-called Class Action suit has been threatened for over a year or such and the PURE organization is milking it to bring in their own business.  I've read the court documents and their purpose is very apparent.  

I don't believe what is written on forums unless there is actual proof to back it up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 12:53:00 PM »
And I wouldn't take a chance with my kids, no matter how desperate I was.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »
So, you'd rather take a wait and see approach?  I'd be more concerned about not doing anything.  I don't watch Dr. Phil much, but I did watch the show where the drug addicted young man was tearing his family apart.  If those parents continued to fear help from the same type of program, they'd still be in a living hell wondering if their son would live to see another day.  The program Dr. Phil recommended is the same type of place that you are condeming.  

Do you think these places hire abusers?  Unfortunately there will be human error, but the track record of WWASPs FAR outweighs any "smoke screens" the critics are putting out there.  Never a death at the hands of an employee, never a proven case of abuse.  

I fear for the parents that are reading the rantings of twisted minds way more than I fear saving a child from whatever bad choices either he or the parents made.  

Making a responsible choices means human contact.  Looking into the eyes of current students, former students and their parents and listening to what they say.  

The only smoke is the smoke from competing referral sources whose business has picked up from instigating negative news articles and the threatened lawsuit.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »
On 2004-04-25 09:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

I don't believe what is written on forums unless there is actual proof to back it up.

One common effect of brainwashing is that you tend to lose your sense of irony.

I don't believe you just because you're posting on the net. I don't believe anyone just because they post on the net. As to there being absolutely no evidence,  :exclaim:  There are just too many wittnesses to ignore. And their stories jive. Yours don't. Where are these " thousands plus families that have turned their lives around"? How come they so rarely have anything to say outside of those venues where pro-program people get to control the dialog?

Get lost, WWASPie. This thread is not about WWASP present or the hoped for class action or direct action(s). This is about Provo Canyon, where, apparently, Robert Lichfield got his training.

Here, on page nine of U of Washington's student newspaper (Oct, 2003) is a story about PC
http://students.washington.edu/~ruckus/ ... 20_web.pdf

The students' stories sound just about word for word exactly like what other former students of WWASP facilities are saying about those programs. So WWASP PR people routinely call them all liars, outlawyer anyone who tries to sue (not a great feat when you're charging tens of thousands per month w/ little overhead for trained staff, decent food, housing or clothes, medical care, etc.).

I hope the PC action is successful and helps to establish a foundation for eliminating similar forced thought reform programs in future. WWASP is not the only organization using these inhumane tactics. I hope they all go down like dominoes.

Now, all that said, I actually don't doubt that the intentions of the people who promote these programs are "pure". (double entandre very much intentional) You see, I've been watching this train wreck for the past 30 years. The Seed was supposed to be a kinder, gentler Synanon. At first, it did sort of have a hippy, "Peace, Love and Happiness" feel to it. But it turned sinister as the people in charge became ever more drunk and addicted to the power. So then came Straight; the kinder, gentler Seed. Same shit, different corporate logo and somewhat more sophisticated corporate structure. Then came LIFE. Ditto.

Now you describe WWASP as an attempt at a kinder, gentler Provo Canyon? Or are you actually bragging that WWASP is better at getting away with it? Regardless, now we have PURE attempting to be a kinder, gentler WWASP and WWASP suing PURE for trademark infringement?????

Well, you know what they say about good intentions. Might I add that I sincerely hope you reach your destination sooner rather than later and sans the company of your intended young beneficieries.

There never was a good war or a bad peace.

--Benjamin Franklin, (1773)

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
It is wrong to leave a stumbling block in the road once it has tripped you.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »
On 2004-04-25 10:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"So, you'd rather take a wait and see approach?  I'd be more concerned about not doing anything.  I don't watch Dr. Phil much, but I did watch the show where the drug addicted young man was tearing his family apart.  If those parents continued to fear help from the same type of program, they'd still be in a living hell wondering if their son would live to see another day.  The program Dr. Phil recommended is the same type of place that you are condeming.  

Do you think these places hire abusers?  Unfortunately there will be human error, but the track record of WWASPs FAR outweighs any "smoke screens" the critics are putting out there.  Never a death at the hands of an employee, never a proven case of abuse.  

I fear for the parents that are reading the rantings of twisted minds way more than I fear saving a child from whatever bad choices either he or the parents made.  

Making a responsible choices means human contact.  Looking into the eyes of current students, former students and their parents and listening to what they say.  

The only smoke is the smoke from competing referral sources whose business has picked up from instigating negative news articles and the threatened lawsuit.  "

I'd rather supervise my kid and not get an addiction issue in the first place.

However, my biggest issue with these places is my concern that they induce Stockholm Syndrome and mind control techniques (possibly without even realizing they're doing it) as a substitute for long-term clinically effective treatment.

I would be satisfied with certain reforms.

One reform that is essential and I wouldn't be satisfied without it is that the inmates have unrestricted US mail contact with the outside world, and 3 first class stamps, envelopes, paper and a pen a week (minimum), and that they don't read outgoing mail, and can only stop it to specific recipients if the recipient has written the place complaining of harrassment or threats.

There should be a US Mail post box on campus where the kids regularly go on their way to and from class, they should be freely able to stick their letters in it (except for kids caught harrassing or threatening recipients other than their parents), and the box should only be opened by the postal workers who come to retrieve the mail daily.

Incoming mail should only be read if the inmate is  suicidal or had been having a sexual relationship with a person more than five years older or younger and the mail is from that person.  Packages should be allowed to be checked for contraband.  Letters should be delivered sealed and unopened if they appear to be a single sheet of trifolded paper in an envelope, unless the kid gets caught shipping in acid on blotter or something---an acid trip is hardly something you can conceal from staff.

The reason for this non-negotiable insistence on outside free US mail contact with anybody, not just the parents or some approved list, and with no "disapproved" list from the institution or the parents, is that isolation is essential for the induction of Stockholm Syndrome.

With no isolation, you can't induce SS.  Which means you can't use it as a shortcut substitute for *real* therapy.

And, of course, sunshine is the best disinfectant.

I want other safeguards, but just that one alone would lead to the implementation of the other necessary reforms by removing the silence these teens are "disappeared" into.

I find it very telling that apparently *none* of these places allow kids to write letters, freely, back and forth with their friends and extended family.

When I bring it up, the WWASPies say the kids can write to their parents---but react with horror at the thought the kids would have to be allowed to send and recieve mail from friends and extended family.

That one reform, I think, is the key to cleaning up the whole scam.  Kids that can freely ask friends and extended family on the outside to sue for custody or hire lawyers on their behalf, and can say why, are in much less danger of abuse than kids who disappear into the unknown.

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats---approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.
--Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom:

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 04:18:00 PM »
Oh, one more thing---if the kid's friends or extended family sends more money for stamps and envelopes and such (or the materials themselves), the kid should get all the postal supplies sent in addition to the 3-of-everything per week the school must supply.

Put that in place at all your facilities, and you'll  hear a whole lot less griping from me---although any kids in places who are genuinely being abused or neglected may raise a heck of a ruckus once they're no longer being silenced.

And if they *aren't* being abused or neglected, then there's nothing to fear from letting them send and receive mail to anyone and everyone.

When you don't allow them that free mail access, you come across as having a hell of a lot to hide.

I suspect it's because you *do* have a hell of a lot to hide.

But go ahead and prove me wrong---change your policies to open up these kids' mail access with the outside world.

*Prove* you're doing therapy above and beyond mere Stockholm Syndrome plus mind control techniques.

Prove it by giving up one of the three essentials for inducing Stockholm Syndrome---the isolation.

Prove me wrong---if you can.

May your days be joyfully challenging and your words artfully true
-- Ginger Warbis SMA, `00

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »
What about the kids that write to friends or extended family and say they're being abused when they're not?  Most of them are writing these kinds of letters to the parents and sending it to friends and others who may believe it would only cause problems for the parents.  

I know that parents at a WWASPS program can send letters from friends and others.  Those contacts cannot send them without the parents approval.  I get the reason, and don't agree it causes SS that the kids are in some jeopardy of SS. Their friends are part of the problem and have plenty of time to work that out.  

You're looking at this as the friends are their only connection to home. NOT.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
Antigen wrote: Get lost, WWASPie. This thread is not about WWASP present or the hoped for class action or direct action(s). This is about Provo Canyon, where, apparently, Robert Lichfield got his training.

The original poster did make this about WWASP in pointing out the long ago connection.

Are you saying that only negative posters regarding programs can post here without being attacked in some way?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »

The only smoke is the smoke from competing referral sources whose business has picked up from instigating negative news articles and the threatened lawsuit.

Ryan Fredenberg
http://coldwaterthemovie.com/
Not PURE

The New York State Attorney General's Office http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595054966,00.html
also NOT PURE

Jonathan Tyler Mitchell, Aaron Kravig, Lindsey Wise , Nick Violante and the CIRCUIT COURT OF TAZEWELL COUNTY, VIRGINIA
http://fornits.com/anonanon/docs/wwasp/mvm/
also NOT PURE, Inc.! Imagine that!  

It has been my suspicion all along that WWASP chose PURE as a target for lawsuit in order to draw attention away from, shall we say, less easily challenged critics. Thanks for helping to develop my hypothosis.

It will be generally found that those who sneer habitually at human nature and affect to despise it, are among its worst and least pleasant examples

--Charles Dickens

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »

The original poster did make this about WWASP in pointing out the long ago connection.

I don't know who Cherish Wisdom is, but I note that there are no medical professionals affiliated with PURE. Ergo, also not PURE, Inc.

Just another of how many thousands of individuals who knows something less than pleasant about a program that is somehow affiliated w/ WWASP.

Can you see where this is likely to be a losing battle for you? I mean, has anyone sat you down and explained how the little Duch Boy wound up in traction?

for it is a truth, which the experience of all ages has attested, that the people are commonly most in danger when the means of insuring their rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least suspicion.    
--Alexander Hamilton

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »
On 2004-04-25 13:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What about the kids that write to friends or extended family and say they're being abused when they're not?

So, what if they do? I've read it over and over again from Program proponants that all (yes folks, that's right, all) of these kids, bar none, are manipulative liars. But it has been my experience in life that the best way to deal w/ a liar is to just not believe them. I never worry about what liars might say about me because, if I can figure out that they're liars, then everybody else can too.

If these kids were all manipulative liars as you folks say, then don't you think other people who know them FAR better than you did (having actually met face to face and all) before you condemned them as liars might know about this little flaw in their character?

BTW, how do you rule out the truth tellers in your intake process?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
--Bruce Lee

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 06:18:00 PM »
Timoclea, I love your proposal. And I think you're correct in that, just being able to write to people on the outside w/o interferance would create a lot of dyke busting little leaks.

However, I see a flaw in it. How do we ensure that the kids actually get to put their letters in the mail w/o somebody reading them? Or that anything at all gets passed on to them from the outside? And there have to be those exceptions, so all staff has to do is say that one of those exceptions exists or generate it.

But still, it'll never happen. Keeping secrets wittnessed by that many people must be nerve wracking. Tends to cause paranoia.

To say the drug war is a failure is like saying the Hindenburg was short a few fire extinguishers.
http://mapinc.org/drugnews/v01/n808/a10.html' target='_new'>Carl Hiassen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »

Ryan Fredenberg
http://coldwaterthemovie.com/
Not PURE

The New York State Attorney General's Office http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595054966,00.html
also NOT PURE

Jonathan Tyler Mitchell, Aaron Kravig, Lindsey Wise , Nick Violante and the CIRCUIT COURT OF TAZEWELL COUNTY, VIRGINIA
http://fornits.com/anonanon/docs/wwasp/mvm/
also NOT PURE, Inc.! Imagine that!

It has been my suspicion all along that WWASP chose PURE as a target for lawsuit in order to draw attention away from, shall we say, less easily challenged critics. Thanks for helping to develop my hypothosis.

Ginger, PURE was involved in all of the above.  ________________
Ginger Warbis ~ Antigen
Seed sibling

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »
How was PURE involved in any of the above and why do you believe it?

Scoundrels are predictable, but you're a man of honor and that frightens me.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671877046/' target='_new'> Robert Heinlein, Glory Road.