Author Topic: looking for peers from 92-93  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Marina

• View Profile
looking for peers from 92-93
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
My first year after Elan was very difficult for me, not only 'cause I had to adapt to being back in a regular society, but also 'cause I was all alone in a different country. The point is, for a year or so I got back to doing the same shit I was doing before Elan, that is until my O.D.

After leaving the Emergency room, I was told I had to stay in the hospital for three days for mental evaluation according to the law. I kept thinking to myself "this is gonna be worse than Elan, I better behave".  It felt like a summer camp compared to Elan, they let me do whatever I wanted, they let my family and friends stay there after visiting hours and they even gave us free cigarrettes. After two days (not three), they let me out.

I think this is when I decided to change for myself. Throughout all my stay in Elan, there wasn't a single day in which I did not think of drugs. Elan didn't change my mind set about them, and neither did the psychiatrists in the hospital. I changed after life has kicked me in the ass. I changed because I wanted to grow up and no one could take this decision for me.

I ain't no saint, but I'm happy to say I've been away from cocain for 2 and a half years and I have complete control over my life now.

How did you guys do in your first year after Elan? Was it as hard?

Peace!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Pete

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/lifeline
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »
huh huh huh huh

you said "hard."   :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

huh huh

Nah, just kidding.  I've done some stupid shit since Elan.  Fortunately, it's never involved going back to drinking or drugs.  Temptations aside, I've been sober for about 10 1/2 years now.  I still go to meetings, though not as often as I used to.

Adjusting to the wonderful wide free world was a complete culture shock for me.  I didn't know what to do, so I slept three hours a night, used an extensive support system and ate lots of M&Ms!  I was a nut for my first three months out.  I had no idea how to relate to society.  I mean, this thing called the Internet had gone from obscurity to popularity while I was in Elan!

It's always been that support system of good people that's reined me in to this day.  In the fall of 2001, I hit a big low, e-mailing a suicide note to my ex-girlfriend, who promptly called the cops to make sure I was OK.  It was very humbling to have a cop show up at my workplace.  I fell back on my support system and moved out of the hick town that I'd been living in for several months.  Everything fell into place.  I met my wife less than two months later.

I went through culture shock after Elan.  They certainly didn't prepare me and without other treatment, I'm firmly convinced I would have gone back to my old ways.

Offline xres8182

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »
Hey Marina,you would have laughed your ass off at Dave Chappelle's "Rick James" bit if you used to have a coke problem.Bet you get some good shit in Brazil.It's a helluva drug.Haven't touched it in 2 years or so.Pretty much a waste of time anyway with the shit you get in N.H.Good luck staying away from it.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 04:58:00 PM »
Hey xres, you see Chappelle last night?

"IS WAYNE BRADY GONNA HAVE TO CHOKE A BITCH??!!"

I was laughing my ass off.  And Marina, yes, congrats on getting off cocaine.  I never used it -- which is fortunate, because knowing me, if I did, I probably would have killed myself with it.[ This Message was edited by: Peter Moore on 2004-04-08 13:59 ]

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 05:08:00 PM »
I'M WAYNE BRADY BIIIIIOOOOOOOTCH!!

Gave me a whole new perspective on Wayne.  I thought he was lame.

Offline xres8182

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »
I saw it,man that sh*t was funny.That boulder was huuuuge.

Offline Marina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys. It's weird that I used to convince my friends to drive me to DC as late as 5 am to get really bad coke, now If I wanted I could just walk up the closest hill and get the cheap pure coke. Cocaine is just not my thing anymore. I moved on.

Hey Jim, I must admitt I'm not familiar with Dave Chappelle. I'm not sure If we get to watch this show in Brazil. I got cable at my place, in what channel is it on?

Pete, thanks for sharing your story with us. I know how it feels to get to the point where you consider killing yourself, but you know suicide is a very stupid idea, right? Guess you probably heard this many times, I'm not gonna go off preaching cause it's pointless. I'm glad you're happy now. I believe things happen for a reason, Pete. Now you'seem to be  successfull as far as your marriage and career, so there you go. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here.

Peace!

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »
Thanks Marina.  Yeah, it was stupid and silly (and really unfair to my ex), but we all got over it pretty quickly.  

You lived outside D.C?  I lived right outside too -- in Alexandria/Fairfax County, VA for awhile.

Offline Marina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2004, 10:13:00 AM »
I used to live in Bethesda and my parents lived in Potomac. Do you happen to know Tysons Corner? I used to promote Brazilian parties there at a restaurant/club called Malibu Grill. Have you heard of it?

Offline xres8182

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2004, 10:29:00 AM »
Comedy central is the network Marina

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »
Malibu Grill sounds familiar.  I know Tysons Corner well.  There is a cool mall there and a lot of interesting stores.

Offline Marina

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »
The nightlife of D.C. was awesome, dude! Adams Morgan on Fridays and Georgetown on Saturdays. The Zei Club and the Insomnia were a good call too, although I'm not much into the club scene, they happened to be the only places that'd remain open til 6 am. Then of course, breakfast at the filthy Dinners in front of the White Flint metro station. Dude, I miss the good times I've had at that place. My brother is heading back to Maryland, that bastard, I'm jealous.