Author Topic: getting your facts straight  (Read 11570 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline thepatriot

  • Posts: 570
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »
You have got to be shitting me........you need help or deprogrammed
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
arasota Straight Escapee

Offline thepatriot

  • Posts: 570
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »
Quote
On 2004-04-12 09:40:00, still doing fine wrote:

"Nothing will make you happy.  Because you are unhappy with the way your life is and you are looking to blame someone or soemthing besides yourself you look towards programs that change people's lives for the positive.  Take some responsibility for how your life turned out.  I was not abused in any way and you cannot force me to believe that. "

Sounds like Straight bable to me[ This Message was edited by: thepatriot on 2004-04-12 09:59 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
arasota Straight Escapee

Offline Cayo Hueso

  • Posts: 1274
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »
Quote
 I was not abused in any way and you cannot force me to believe that. "


You may or may not have been physically abused...I don't know, BUT.........if you were in a place developed by Miller Newton then you were most definitely psychologically abused.  The entire treatment method of breaking someone, especially a child, in order to 'help' them is fucked from the get go.  There is no changing it to make it better.  The very core of how it is supposed to work is damaging so unless they've thrown out every single[/b] idea, aspect, technique etc. and started completely[/b] over...damage is still being done, no getting around it.

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"  Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
-- Charlie Brown, _Peanuts_ [Charles Schulz]

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
getting your facts straight
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »
Quote
On 2004-04-12 09:40:00, still doing fine wrote:

"Nothing will make you happy.  Because you are unhappy with the way your life is and you are looking to blame someone or soemthing besides yourself you look towards programs that change people's lives for the positive.  Take some responsibility for how your life turned out.  I was not abused in any way and you cannot force me to believe that. "


Now, here we go. This sounds just like Virgil, doesn't it? How do you presume to make such a statement about Cayohueso? Or anyone else, for that matter.

Personally, I almost couldn't be happier w/ the way my life has turned out. Sure, I wish I had more money and a bigger house. Who doesn't? But I just don't have a personal problem to solve.

I do have a problem w/ Program philosophy directing public policy in the same way that I have a "problem" with snow piling up on my sidewalk. These are not insoluable problems, though, nor are they personal problems that originate from some neurosis. I have a shovel and some salt, that takes care of the snow problem. And I have the ability to communicate and the protection of the First Amendment. And there are plenty of other folks who, using the same tools, might contribute to the effort to rid public policy of the influence of fanatic abstinance freaks.

Life is like a shit sandwich; the more bread you got, the less shit you gotta eat.
--Anonymous



_________________
Ginger Warbis ~ Antigen
American drug war P.O.W.
Seed sibling `71 - `80
Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
   10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
It is wrong to leave a stumbling block in the r
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline still doing fine

  • Posts: 8
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004, 03:52:00 PM »
Give it up.  Your point is clear.  I don't agree with it but I hear what you are saying.  Focus your efforts somewhere else.  Your mission is obviously failing.  You try so hard to get programs shut down and it is not going to happen with Kids Helping Kids. It has been in operation since the early 80's and it continues to thrive. If they were doing illegal or unethical practices then they would have been shut down.  And they would not be certified by the state and other agencies.  Give it up, or continue to watse your time.  They will be around for a long time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline thepatriot

  • Posts: 570
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »
Quote
On 2004-04-12 12:52:00, still doing fine wrote:

"Give it up.  Your point is clear.  I don't agree with it but I hear what you are saying.  Focus your efforts somewhere else.  Your mission is obviously failing.  You try so hard to get programs shut down and it is not going to happen with Kids Helping Kids. It has been in operation since the early 80's and it continues to thrive. If they were doing illegal or unethical practices then they would have been shut down.  And they would not be certified by the state and other agencies.  Give it up, or continue to watse your time.  They will be around for a long time."


Mission failing????? I am guessing that this rhetoric makes you feel relevant?? not here. You are obviously a sheep that has been brainwashed in to believeing the crap that these programs spew. You have no clue what some of us have been through or maybe you do and you believe it is for the best. You are entitled to believe what you do as twisted as it is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
arasota Straight Escapee

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
getting your facts straight
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »
Actually, my purpose for hosting these fora is to make the walls transparant; to open the dialog on these Synanon based programs and bring to light how they work.

If that results in a lot of them shutting down or changing their names, as it has before, well then maybe that's for the best.

"Narcotics have been systematically scapegoated and demonized. The idea that anyone can use drugs and escape a horrible fate is an anathema to these idiots. I predict that in the near future right-wingers will use drug hysteria as a pretext to set up an international police apparatus."

--William S. Burroughs

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Majiktrvls

  • Posts: 107
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004, 11:37:00 PM »
Quote
"If they were doing illegal or unethical practices then they would have been shut down.  And they would not be certified by the state and other agencies."
 
Actually, there are plenty of WWASP schools out here in Utah that are still operating regardless of the countless children who have died and been seriously injured under the disguise of "treatment".
Tell me, what do you think is the necessary ingredient for having a "treatment" center shut down? Death? Well, obviously it has not been the ingredient here...poor kids die out in the heat of our desert every summer, Ian August is a prime example, yet the place is still operating. Some simply have heat strokes and are left permanently disabled.
From where I am sitting, the Lichfield's have just enough money to keep the "authorities" at bay, and the places are still up and running,(and certified) in southern Utah.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline jnloar

  • Posts: 47
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 04:12:00 AM »
My stomach has turned reading through this thread and some of the others here.  I can sense the frustration and anger from those of us subjected to Straight and all its bullshit - I feel it deep inside my gut and heart as well.  What I think though is that unlike many on these boards, I WAS one like 'still doing fine' or whatever the screen name is.  I bought the program hook, line and sinker and for a few years after you could never have convinced me the place was anything less than a blessing to all who entered its doors.  I have been very open and honest on the boards that I was fully into the program and worked there and promoted it.  I do not know why some are more susceptable to its brainwashing than others.  I was young when I went in - barely 15 and had only experimented with alcohol and never touched a drug.  I was hungry for acceptance though and extremely vulnerable as many of you know because I had been sexually assaulted a few months prior which led me into depression and self destructive behavior.  I strongly suspect that those more vulnerable with VERY poor self esteem, not that all of us did not battle with that to some degree, but I know after my rape I was FILLED with self loathing - seem to fall much more into all the brain washing shit used at these programs.  When I got out I was filled with the same rhetoric that this person talks with and had you put a gun to my head, I would have taken a bullet before critizing the place "that had saved me from dying or being in jail"  how many times have we heard that??  I know it stirs up anger to read someone defending places like Straight - it makes me want to vomit but I truly believe that we need to meet these people with empathy and understanding.  I remember when I started to realize that maybe the life I was leading was built on nothing but lies how terrified I was.  I had built everything around the illness of that place and had no idea what I would do because I had not really been a member of true society for so long even though I appeared to function well in it.  I still found my haven in the 'program world.'  When I started working with a cult specialist and eventually could not live in the lie anymore I absolutely freaked out....having to realize just how badly I had been treated, how much I had been lied to and how I bought into it and basically sold my soul over to that place to survive first phase and then continued to perpetuate the abuse was horrid.  I was ashamed of myself, felt incredibly stupid, embarrassed and horrified that I had worked through the phases and staff continuing the cycles of abuse and brainwashing that had been used on me.  I truly think by being empathetic and remembering how strongly influenced some of us were - I know I was and am sure many of you remember people who were total 'straightlings' we can help to lead others to the truth behind these places.  It took years for most of us to realize the toll that place took on us - there is an interesting thread on the Straight forum right now 'the 15 year itch' about how many people seem to start seeking information about Straight, SAFE, Kids, KHK wherever they were a decade or more later.  I think it takes a lot of us that long to start to put 2 and 2 together and wonder if perhaps some of the current day issues we have - emotional vomiting, trust issues, relationship struggles, depression, PTSS issues whatever it may be - could be linked to the fact that we had our teenage years ripped away from us and never got to learn many of those vital lessons because we were locked away and then many of us stayed in the program world after for some years.  I 100% believe that KHK is a Straight replica.  I went to their website and about puked - it reeks of Straight but I think rather than trying to cram down these people throats that they were brainwashed it would be more productive to relate how we finally realized the truth about what happened to us.  I doubt it will make much immediate difference but if even a seed of thought is planted to get some of these survivors to wonder at some point, perhaps they will be able to finally see the truth and this one can be held accountable for its tactics as well.  I hope I don't sound too "programy' or wishy washy, I just think too much anger was heaped on all of us in these programs that use the 'break em to build em back up' (which KHK does) and trying to convince someone they were brainwashed and screwed with years ago by some place they still think is so fab does nothing more than raise their defenses and close their minds even more. That does not serve our purpose of getting these destructive places shut down once and for all.
Jennifer[ This Message was edited by: jnloar on 2004-04-14 01:15 ][ This Message was edited by: jnloar on 2004-04-14 01:18 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline still doing fine

  • Posts: 8
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 08:19:00 AM »
Please have no empathy for me.  I am content with where my life is at. I went through the program 11 years ago and I am fine today because of it.  I am not brainwashed!!!!  I am sorry that things happened to you guys while in the Straight program.  I am just trying to have my side of the story be told, just like you. I would think after 11 years it would have came out if something happened.  I no longer have anything to do with KHK because I have moved on with my life.  I just feel that I have to say what really goes on there since you think you know and because you have never had anything to do with KHK.  Personal experience with something is the best speaker about it.  You had experience with Straight and I have never told you that you are wrong about that.  I had experience with KHK so don't tell me I am wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
getting your facts straight
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »
I used to be called Miss McNulty. Then I got married, my legal status and name changed. Now I'm Mrs. Warbis. Same person.

The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
-- Muhammad Ali

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164659
  • Karma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2004, 11:38:00 PM »
Quote
On 2004-04-09 14:00:00, still doing fine wrote:

"Were you in the Kids Helping Kids program?  If not then you have no room to talk about what the staff does!!! Because I learned how to follow rules I am successful today.   You have no clue.  One other question.  If the program is doing illegal things then why has it not been shut down?  You people seem to have so much time on your hands why have you not been able to get anything accomplished with having it shut down?  New kids enter treatment there every week.  It is still successful and will continue to be. When you get the statistics on how many young people die from drug use we'll talk then.  If you do not have first hand experience with the program I am not interested in what you have to say.  It is frivolous to me. "


Yes it is evident that you were taught how to believe anything that you are told!

"A repentant journalist admitted that during the summer of 1986, he and his colleagues were guilty of "cooking figures and using alarmist headlines and prose... to convince readers that practically everyone they know is addicted to crack, and that they too are likely to be addicted soon."  ... "the drug crisis in America is more than a story, it's an addiction? and a dangerous one... We know the rush that comes from supporting these claims with a variety of questionable figures, graphs, and charts and often we enjoy it. Blatant sensationalism is a high."

SOURCE: THE GREAT DRUG WAR (Trebach)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164659
  • Karma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
Quote
On 2004-05-03 20:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

"
Quote

On 2004-04-09 14:00:00, still doing fine wrote:


"Were you in the Kids Helping Kids program?  If not then you have no room to talk about what the staff does!!! Because I learned how to follow rules I am successful today.   You have no clue.  One other question.  If the program is doing illegal things then why has it not been shut down?  You people seem to have so much time on your hands why have you not been able to get anything accomplished with having it shut down?  New kids enter treatment there every week.  It is still successful and will continue to be. When you get the statistics on how many young people die from drug use we'll talk then.  If you do not have first hand experience with the program I am not interested in what you have to say.  It is frivolous to me. "




Yes it is evident that you were taught how to believe anything that you are told!



"A repentant journalist admitted that during the summer of 1986, he and his colleagues were guilty of "cooking figures and using alarmist headlines and prose... to convince readers that practically everyone they know is addicted to crack, and that they too are likely to be addicted soon."  ... "the drug crisis in America is more than a story, it's an addiction? and a dangerous one... We know the rush that comes from supporting these claims with a variety of questionable figures, graphs, and charts and often we enjoy it. Blatant sensationalism is a high."



SOURCE: THE GREAT DRUG WAR (Trebach)




p.s. I'm working on the statistics for you...

"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline just_a_chick_03

  • Posts: 13
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://just_a_chick_03.livejournal.com
getting your facts straight
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
none of the rules made sense
using peer pressure to get us straight, then saying peer pressure is what got us on drugs

it took me years to shake it off, too look people in the eye again, and not be so jumpy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164659
  • Karma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
getting your facts straight
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »
Speaking of getting facts straight (hmm.. STRAIGHT?)

Helen Peterman, the exectutive director of LIFE came directly from STRAIGHT where she was a "Clinical Director", bringing several kids with her. She employed STRAIGHT's model.  In July of 1981 (this comes directly from KHK's website http://www.kidshelpingkids.com/History.html) eleven kids were transferred from LIFE to KHK.

Now think about it logically:

1) Why let 11 kids go off to another program and lose that money?  11 kids, at the rate of what.. 15,000 dollars? You do the math!

2) Why let those kids go off to a totally different program if you think your program is the one that works?

And I forgot to log in.. it's been a long time.  This is Sara-1984... you can flame me here or at [email protected].

Good Day!   ::cheers::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »