Author Topic: getting your facts straight  (Read 15056 times)

Offline still doing fine

• View Profile
getting your facts straight
« on: April 08, 2004, 12:28:00 PM »
I read a response from someone who chose to be anonymous.  Your response was to Reality check.  I graduated from the Kids Helping Kids program 11 years ago.  I believe it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  I was an out of control kid who did not care what happened to myself.  I was unable at that point in time to love or care about myself.  I was obsessed with drugs and alcohol because that is what took the pain away.  I thank God that my parents loved me enough to place me there.  When I could not love myself I had a whole group of people that loved me.  Eleven years later I am a happy, productive member of society.  I did not need intense psychotherapy in order to heal from the ordeal.  I never want to forget my time spent there.  I am now married, have a home and am getting to ready to have children.  I am a successful graduate from college with a good career.  Maybe if some people's life did not turn out so well they should take a look in the mirror as to why. Whatever measures took place at Kids Helping Kids I believe that I needed them.  Nothing else was working at that point.  So please don't assume your experience was the same as mine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 03:04:00 AM »
On 2004-04-08 09:28:00, still doing fine wrote:

. Eleven years later I am a happy, productive member of society.

Over 20 years later and so am I. Now that I'm older, my focus is more on my kids' world and their children's. Over the years, I've seen lunatic fanaticism over drugs take over the public policy on which I depend to keep my children's America alive.

Look, folks, drugs are just not that powerful! You take them or leave them, use them to good effect or put them down; knowing and taking the consequences either way. They don't control a person to the point where someone else has to step in and take over their right to self determination. They're no or moore less trecherous than lust for power or money or any other object of obsession.

If you bust your kid w/ a joint, it does not simplify whatever other issues that might exist between you down to "Welp, kid needs treatment!". It's barely significan't at all. If anyone steps up to you trying to say that's the root of all evil and they have the patented cure for it, they're pissing down your leg! Wake the hell up and smell the amonia!

Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make  some of the worst movies in the history of the world.
-- Dave Barry

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline still doing fine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 08:57:00 AM »
How arrogant to assume that your history is the same as mine!!!!  You know nothing about me or my past history with drugs and alcohol. Do people not die from drug and alochol addictions every day? If it were easy to just put drugs down then why don't people do it?  Sounds like if they cannot help themselves then someone nedds to help them.  We may differ on that opinion.  I do know that I was not abused or tormented while in treatment at Kids Helping Kids.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »
http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-addmonst.html

go read this.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins; all of them imaginary.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679728953/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> H.L. Mencken, 1923

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »
On 2004-04-09 05:57:00, still doing fine wrote:

Do people not die from drug and alochol addictions every day?

Sure, but not so many as die from the flu or auto accidents or assault or dozens or even hundreds of other kids of misfortune. The fact is, it's pretty damned hard to kill yourself w/ drugs. Drugs, like everything else on the planet, can be dangerous. But they're nowhere near as dangerous as some people seem to think.

If it were easy to just put drugs down then why don't people do it?  

Some do, others don't. Maybe those who don't simply want to? And who are the staff of KHK or any other program to make that determination for someone else? There are laws and standards of professional practice regarding involuntary commitment. KHK thinks their high holy jihad against drugs places them above the law. How do you reconcile that in your mind? Didn't they pound rule following into your head like they did at al the other locations? But they, themselves, don't follow the rules. So.. how does that make sense?

A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper. He must free himself from the habit, just as soon as something does not please him, of calling for the police.
http://www.mises.org/liberal/ch1sec11.asp' target='_new'>Ludwig Von Mises

Offline still doing fine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »
Were you in the Kids Helping Kids program?  If not then you have no room to talk about what the staff does!!! Because I learned how to follow rules I am successful today.   You have no clue.  One other question.  If the program is doing illegal things then why has it not been shut down?  You people seem to have so much time on your hands why have you not been able to get anything accomplished with having it shut down?  New kids enter treatment there every week.  It is still successful and will continue to be. When you get the statistics on how many young people die from drug use we'll talk then.  If you do not have first hand experience with the program I am not interested in what you have to say.  It is frivolous to me.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »
No, but most of us were in the program that the people who started your[/b] program got kicked out of and the programs shut down before they started yours[/b]......we know from whence we speak young man/lady.

The body of
        Benjamin Franklin, printer,
      (Like the cover of an old book,
            Its contents worn out,
    And scripts of it's lettering and gilding)
       Lies Here, food for worms!
     Yet the work itself shall not be lost,
For it will, as he believed, appear once more
                 In a new
         And more beautiful edition,
          Corrected and amended
                By it's Author!

Epitaph for himself.

--Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 08:08:00 PM »
I would have to agree with still doing fine on this one. There is a reason Kids is gone. There is a reason Straight is gone. And I bet if you ask the staff at KHK what they think of Kids or Straight they would have similar opinions to others on this forum. And I'm pretty sure if you ask them what they think of Miller Newton they either don't know him or think he is a controlling abusive criminal. KHK may have the steps and the 5 phases but what goes on in the KHK building is absoulutly *not* what I have witnessed at KIDS or at STRAIGHT.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 11:04:00 PM »
Well, SDF, I could swear I seen a dude gettin beltlooped about a week ago. How is that possible? I thought they were nothing like STRAIGHT, INC... The people that run the place are formerly STRAIGHT parents. Un be leave a bull. Merry Christmas.

Offline still doing fine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
Again, you need to get your facts straight.  The parents who started KHK were straight parents.  They no longer have anything to do with the program.  I really wish you would check your information before you talk.  I refuse to argue with your points anymore.  All I know is that I went through the program and I was not abused.  It is impossible for you to tell me that I was.  That may be your perception.  I find it real hard to even listen to you because you do not have first hand experience with the program.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 03:35:00 PM »
Do they still require or encourage KHK parents to buy the books Not My Kid and/or Gone Way Down? That would speak volumes about how the current KHK staff and parents regard Miller Newton.

When a man you like switches from what he said a year ago, or four years ago, he is a broad-minded person who has courage enough to change his mind with changing conditions. When a man you don't like does it, he is a liar who has broken his promise.
-- FRANKLIN P.ADAMS (1861-1960).

Offline still doing fine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
I have been involved with the program for many years.  I have never heard it being suggested to the parents to buy either of those books.  We have reccommend that parents read the AA book or Al-Anon book so they can better understand their child. We have never promoted Miller Netwon's ideas or philosophies.  I do not work at the program any longer but still keep in touch with it.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »
On 2004-04-11 10:27:00, still doing fine wrote:

"We have never promoted Miller Netwon's ideas or philosophies.  I do not work at the program any longer but still keep in touch with it. "

His ideas and philosophies are perpetuated every day by a program developed BY HIM directly out of Straight.  You're telling me they threw out all his ideas and completely started over?????  Not buying it.

Wicked men obey from fear, good men from love.
--Aristotle

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline still doing fine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »
Nothing will make you happy.  Because you are unhappy with the way your life is and you are looking to blame someone or soemthing besides yourself you look towards programs that change people's lives for the positive.  Take some responsibility for how your life turned out.  I was not abused in any way and you cannot force me to believe that.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
On 2004-04-12 09:40:00, still doing fine wrote:

"Nothing will make you happy.  Because you are unhappy with the way your life is and you are looking to blame someone or soemthing besides yourself you look towards programs that change people's lives for the positive."

Actually little man, my life is going pretty well, thank you very much.  It's not about blame anymore sweetie, it's about the mindfuck that is still going on.

After all, who wouldn't prefer Middle Earth, unless they've been corrupted by a Ring of Power?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/elkins/elkins73.html' target='_new'>December 24, 2002

t. Pete Straight
early 80s