Author Topic: I am up at 3am 17 years after I split Cedu  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I am up at 3am 17 years after I split Cedu
« on: April 05, 2004, 03:06:00 AM »
thinking of that crappy, hellish cult.  I typed in a search to see if it were still in existence and came upon this...  thank you. I realized now that I was not alone and that my thoughts on this cult is not unique.

it has been especially rewarding to read stories from ex-staff, knowing they understand.  was anybody there in 1987? is lori still working there? she was horrible. is jill? rudy? mark? pam?

anyway, thanks for letting me know i wasn't alone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »
I am so sorry for your pain. may you see peace again soon with the demise of this awful place.

Stay with us and tell your true "story" for the sake of all who follow you. We must remove the stumbling stone.

Offline Jack1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 02:49:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Jack1963 on 2004-08-01 15:33 ]
ack

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 09:47:00 PM »
Jack, I can't tell you how helpful your posts are. The Seed/Straight/Kids/etc. programs were a lot different in structure from the CEDU type programs. But they're so similar in certain profound ways. Your giving this kind of detaied description illustrates some of those similarities so well.

We all made stuff up too. You had to if you wanted to advance. And those made up stories were held over our heads and used to maximum effect to humiliate and to isolate us and to coerce compliance.

There are a lot of other similarities in your short account so far. Thanks! Please keep it up!

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... miamithem' target='_new'>H. G. Wells

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Jack1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
ack

Offline Antibody?

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »
/
I just checked the website ? she now has a psychology degree from California Coast College. It is an UNACCREDITED, MAIL ORDER SCHOOL. Her degree credits would not even be accepted by a junior college.

The big boss - Dr. Jim Powell got his Ph.D. at a non-accredited school! It was one of those mail-order schools ? distance learning before there was online college. He met Mel Wasserman at some Synanon thing where Jim was trying to sober up.  

Mail order PhDs are not uncommon at CEDU In fact, they are very common at CEDU. Bill Valentine (in charge of parent services PhD) has a mail order Degtee that he braggs about on the CEDU website. I checked. The college doesn't offer the unacredited mail order PhDs anymore.

After meeting him, I couldn't understand how a PhD could be so ignorant - now I know.

CEDU's North Idaho clinical Director Rich Geiger had a mail order PhD in Divinity - he's gone now. Dr Geiger ran clinical services for years. He was in charge during the suicide hanging incident and The riot - go figure.

Offline Jack1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 11:00:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Jack1963 on 2004-08-01 23:15 ]
ack

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 02:36:00 PM »
Thank you all for your responses. It helps.

In my experience, all of the team leaders were pretty wacko, but some of the new staff seemed sucked in... I often wonder if thet ever got it.  I also saw at least one marriage by a median level staff and his new wife suffer greatly as she was attacked and criticised relentlessly and he was manipulated against her. The funny thing was she was a real bright spot there.  I always got the impression she was trying to support her husband, but had trouble buying in.

I was hoping someone could tell me what happened to Jim Johnson and Lori (forgot last name) but they headed Vision in 1987 and Jim became diector (I think ) later.  Because they were the team leaders, their actions affected me profoundly. Did they ever see the light or are they still there? What about Pam and MArk? It would be helpful for purposes of closure.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 04:30:00 PM »
On 2004-04-05 20:00:00, Jack1963 wrote:

Antigen wrote:
Mail order PhDs are not uncommon at CEDU In fact, they are very common at CEDU. Bill Valentine (in charge of parent services PhD) has a mail order Degtee that he braggs about on the CEDU website. I checked. The college doesn't offer the unacredited mail order PhDs anymore.

I didn't write that. I may have quoted someone else. Don't have time go go back and look right now. But I didn't write the above.

The problem with the "teen help" industry is that it's a bad "solution" in search of a problem.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=4819&forum=9&Sort=D#42737' target='_new'>Julie C.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »
Sorry for the anonymous post, but CEDU is very threatening...

Lori Rist? was in charge of the transition program in Running Springs California - She was a fabulously fine individual before CEDU. The cult brainwashed her with charisma and promises of enlightenment. She worked with Bill Lane - the ex Heroin addict CEDU Executive. That is the only one I know of except Billy - nice guy, who went to work in a program around Bend Oregon.

Lori saw the light and left as director of NWA sometime in the last year - too late to save her marriage.

Her husband (a therapist) Marc worked for BCA and fought the system with Rand Gurley and Jack Clearman for around three years. He fought them furiously to get rid of jump suits, get them unlimited religious privileges, to stop yelling in raps, to change the brainwashing in prophets and to stop them from playing head games on anxious, depressed, bipolar, paranoid, narcissistic and borderline kids. He believed some of the harsh program processes could be helpful for antisocials and non dual-diagnoses severe drug abusers, but not much else.

Rand, Marc Rob, Jack, and Jenny managed to get things under some slight control, but, the staff took the abuse underground and did abuse kids covertly at table assignments, on restrictions and by placing kids they did not like in dorms where they would be abused - or by shunning and tormenting them emotionally through other peers.

The Director, LaTeresa, who has no mental health experience or education, and the staff had an alliance and would not answer e mails from most therapists and would shun them along with any staff who questioned or tried to change anything about the program. This was highly effective for them in not changing anything and feeling righteous and powerful against the evil therapists.

Management then put the therapists in charge of team parent communications. This effectively forced them to either be in constant conflict with the program staff or sell out their ethics and "buy in." This would mean lying to the parents in team meetings under peer pressure, or losing your job. This was a deliberate action by management to make the therapists irrelevant while using them to get state school funding.

All of the above therapists were forced out for not lying, and for trying to protect kids rights, Two clinical directors who did "buy in" were eliminated just to show power.

Eventually they found therapists who would let CEDU control them, and, that is what they have at NWA, RMA, BCA and Milestones now.

What did Lori do to you? I can imagine that, back then, she must have been ve

Offline former CEDU therapist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »
Sounds familiar.

On 2004-04-06 13:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Sorry for the anonymous post, but CEDU is very threatening...

Lori Rist? was in charge of the transition program in Running Springs California - She was a fabulously fine individual before CEDU. The cult brainwashed her with charisma and promises of enlightenment. She worked with Bill Lane - the ex Heroin addict CEDU Executive. That is the only one I know of except Billy - nice guy, who went to work in a program around Bend Oregon.

Lori saw the light and left as director of NWA sometime in the last year - too late to save her marriage.

Her husband (a therapist) Marc worked for BCA and fought the system with Rand Gurley and Jack Clearman for around three years. He fought them furiously to get rid of jump suits, get them unlimited religious privileges, to stop yelling in raps, to change the brainwashing in prophets and to stop them from playing head games on anxious, depressed, bipolar, paranoid, narcissistic and borderline kids. He believed some of the harsh program processes could be helpful for antisocials and non dual-diagnoses severe drug abusers, but not much else.

Rand, Marc Rob, Jack, and Jenny managed to get things under some slight control, but, the staff took the abuse underground and did abuse kids covertly at table assignments, on restrictions and by placing kids they did not like in dorms where they would be abused - or by shunning and tormenting them emotionally through other peers.

The Director, LaTeresa, who has no mental health experience or education, and the staff had an alliance and would not answer e mails from most therapists and would shun them along with any staff who questioned or tried to change anything about the program. This was highly effective for them in not changing anything and feeling righteous and powerful against the evil therapists.

Management then put the therapists in charge of team parent communications. This effectively forced them to either be in constant conflict with the program staff or sell out their ethics and "buy in." This would mean lying to the parents in team meetings under peer pressure, or losing your job. This was a deliberate action by management to make the therapists irrelevant while using them to get state school funding.

All of the above therapists were forced out for not lying, and for trying to protect kids rights, Two clinical directors who did "buy in" were eliminated just to show power.

Eventually they found therapists who would let CEDU control them, and, that is what they have at NWA, RMA, BCA and Milestones now.

"
[ This Message was edited by: former CEDU therapist on 2004-04-06 14:21 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »
Oh, wow, wow, WOW! God, you're telling my story! I was a therapist there. Geez, this is horrible! They did use us only to get funding. They ignored us and when we have a difference with them, we were threatened with our jobs. Once, I was asked to attend a meeting to "discuss" differences I had with staff treatment of the kids. I went there with my Ph.D. and considerable experience and found that it was an emotional lynching - of me. There was NOTHING in the way of discussion. It was team leaders and administration riding me about how I was not going "with the program." Well, YEAH! No kidding. My understanding was that they wree supposed to follow our direction! What a crock! So glad to be out!

On 2004-04-06 13:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Sorry for the anonymous post, but CEDU is very threatening...

"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 11:44:00 PM »
Actually I don't know if its the same Lori. The one I had lived there and was unmarried with a dog. She was just cruel and demeaning in raps, manipulated my parents, and always treated me like I was lying... and I was one of the few who weren't. She also kept bringing up stuff about my outside life that wasn't true but made me look bad. It wasn't subjective stuff, it was that the very facts were wrong.  An innocuous example if she kept saying I lived with my boyfriend, which never happened. THe other team leader spread this whole thing that I was a druggie when I never was a heavy drug user and quit by my own volition months before CEDU and never (17 years later) went back.  That his tactic to make me look like a liar and tellmy folks why I needed to stay. THe truth was that he was (by his own admission) an ex-cokehead, so maybe he doesn't know some people are actually capable of honesty or he was  just projecting his own shit.  Mostly I'm just pissed at how abusive the sessions were, and how they isolated us from our families. The whole culture was founded on distrust, isolation, and cult lingo. I  would have preferred people just talking straight and direct.

What happened to Doug and Mona (they weren't there regularly, they just visited when I attended)? Jim Johnson? Mark and PAm? The brothers?
Am I not supposed to use names? I just wonder about old staff, some I liked even if they were a cult. some seemed like they really felt like they were trying to do something.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I never ever talk about this experience, because most normal people can't relate and my parents feel too guilty.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 11:37:00 PM »
i am an ex BCA student currently filing a lawsuit against cedu for the time i was there...we have several ex students an amazing lawyer and staff testifying for us...if you are interested in becoming part of this please contact me...all ex staff and students are welcome to join.  email me at [email protected] or IM me at jmg532 i am willing to answer any questions u may have as well

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 11:50:00 PM »
Beware of Chuck Selent working under cover to get staff and ex staff who tell the truth.  CEDU is desperate right now, and would love to sic Chuck after you.   If you have a legitamate law suit, give us the name of your attorney.