Author Topic: Yes Virginia, They Really Had a Straight Gong Show.....Pt.1  (Read 1512 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
(tonights episode was made possible in part by Marnie who is kicking up memories like a bunch of schoolkids in a Bubble Ball Tent)

August 1978;
     Summer is drawing to a close and the New Building Drive is going full swing.  Parents are doing something strange at Wagon Wheel Flea Market every weekend, I hear wild tales of big winnings at BINGO from oldcomers, yet the magic is fading, the parents are getting burned out.  I had been on first phase since June 16 and the fundraising had been going on since before I got there.  How much does it take to convert another warehouse?  Are they gonna have a petting zoo and roller coasters or some shit? It was another Monday Night Open Meeting and the parents filed in like they were part of the Bataan Death March.  There had been an unusually high number of refreshers and set-backs.  Not too many folks had graduated either, unless they were staff trainees.  These parents were whooped.  They had been put through the emotional wringer and squeezed of every dollar straight could get.  Whatever stupid song we were singing had ended, and I was sitting on front row and my lips were still moving.  I lip synched my whole first phase pretty much.  I did not want to lose what precious water I still had on my breath due to the lack of proper fluids in that hellhole.  Mrs Pete comes bounding up the middle of the Parents Side, trailing the microphone cord looking like a cross between Richard Dawson and Frau Blooker from Young Frankenstein.  She was wearing this hideous sky blue pants suit like Disco Night at The Nursing Home.  There was something in the air and for once, I was actually paying attention of my own free will.  She dispensed with the usual Building Drive News and then announced that the 4th and 5th phasers along with staff were going to do their part in raising money by putting on a Gong Show and that tickets would be $5 dollars.  Following this announcement, there was an unbelievable amount of murmuring throughout the whole building.  It was such distracting news, that I seriously considered making a run for the doors.  I don't know how she did it, but Mrs. Pete managed to take a bunch of broke down, discouraged parents and make them all look like kids the day before Christmas.  
              End Part 1
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Yes Virginia, They Really Had a Straight Gong Show.....Pt.1
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 12:25:00 AM »
You tell a great story. I could feel that sweaty god awful Monday night open meeting air, with the look and groans from the parents.  Lip synching, misery, dry, when can I ever have something other than p'nut butter again. Why is this kool aid thicker than owl snot?

My daughter came home singing "Down by the Bay" after school and I almost grabbed the shotgun!!

I am new here.  I split five times.  Split/went home (pulled?) off 2nd.  Never got closure.  Its all history, right?  Rage is a nice little emotion.

I need a bowl...

[ This Message was edited by: tampa survivor on 2002-07-26 07:45 ]
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
Yes Virginia, They Really Had a Straight Gong Show.....Pt.1
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2002, 12:24:00 PM »
Tampa Survivor wrote "Never got closure. Its all history, right? Rage is a nice little emotion. I need a bowl..."

To think we were accused of having no emotions.....LOL!!
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}