Author Topic: Breaking News Story on Teen Advocates USA  (Read 42191 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Breaking News Story on Teen Advocates USA
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2004, 10:02:00 AM »
On 2004-03-14 06:26:00, Antigen wrote:

""Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

-- C.S. Lewis.

Being sleepy can impair someone's ability to do thier job.  People
can sleep at home and come to the job with sleepiness still in their system. The sleepiness can still be there long after the employee has slept. When someone is found to be sleepy on the job, they can claim that they went to sleep the night before.  The only solution to this problem is to ban employees from sleeping.

--Arthur Slabosky

"

:nworthy:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »
Deseret Morning News, Saturday, March 13, 2004

2 won't fight return to Utah
Murder charges filed in slaying of counselor

By Nancy Perkins
Deseret Morning News

CEDAR CITY ? Two 17-year-old boys arrested in Las Vegas just hours after they allegedly killed a Cedar City youth counselor will return to Utah to face murder charges.

Sean Graham and Jesse Simmons are accused of striking Anson Arnett, 31, in the head with a baseball bat as he came up a set of stairs in the group home around 10 p.m. on Monday.

Arnett, a counselor for Maximum Life Skills Academy, died Tuesday evening at a Salt Lake hospital after being flown there with critical head injuries.

Both teens waived their right to an extradition hearing during an appearance before a Las Vegas judge on Friday, said Iron County Attorney Scott Garrett.

"We're coordinating their transfer to Cedar City, but I think it will probably be Monday before we'll be able to go down and get them," Garrett said Friday afternoon, adding he is still weighing a decision on whether he will seek the death penalty against the teens.

Graham and Simmons were charged Wednesday with aggravated murder, a capital offense, and aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony. They also face charges of second-degree felony theft for allegedly stealing a company van and driving it to Las Vegas where it was recovered.

The teenagers were enrolled in Maximum Life Skills Academy, a residential youth treatment center for boys ages 12 to 17. A Web site for the company states tuition is about $4,500 per month for the program, which is licensed in Utah to enroll up to 11 boys at one time.

Graham and Simmons had been residents of the treatment center for between six and nine months, according to facility owner Adam Ah Quin.

The two were scheduled to go home later this month, he said, but those plans were changed when counselors caught the pair cheating in school.

"They had gotten into trouble, which showed they weren't ready to go home," Ah Quin said. "I think they planned to bust out, to escape."

Arnett, who had only worked at the youth home for around six months, had just completed a room check and was going upstairs in the split-level home when he was struck from behind, Ah Quin said.

The teens then stuffed the severely injured and bleeding counselor into a closet upside down and locked the door, according to a probable cause statement filed in 5th District Court.

Police were called to the scene around 11:34 p.m. after several boys from the group home ran to a counselor's home to report what had happened.

Arnett is described in an obituary as a gifted artist whose patience and respect for others, particularly those who were troubled, was courageous. A celebration of Arnett's life is scheduled this afternoon in Cedar City.

--------------------------------------------

$4,500 a month????

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »
Sounds to me like being told they weren't getting out after all pushed them over the edge.

It was only a matter of time.  I wonder how many of these kids *know* that the conditions in real jail are a step up from those in these private jails.

Prisoners in real jail get phone calls and mail and can have visitors.

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
-- Ben Franklin At the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.

Offline spots

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »
From The Spectrum, the Southern Utah newspaper (published in St. George):

Family, friends have fond memories of Arnett

By ED KOCIELA
CEDAR CITY -- The tears had temporarily dried, but pain still creased the faces of a family in mourning.

"It is such a loss. ... He had so much more, so many more kids to help and teach," said Ann Kirton of her brother Anson Arnett, the 31-year-old group home counselor who died from injuries inflicted when, police say, he was allegedly attacked Monday night by two 17-year-olds with a baseball bat at the Maximum Life Skills Academy in Cedar City. "There was no need for any of this to happen. He would have said (to the two suspects), 'If this is what you need to do, you'll pay the price,' and he would have handed them the keys to the van. That's what's so tragic about this."

Family members -- his mother, one of his two sisters and one of his four brothers -- lovingly described a young man who was independent, warm, kind, scholarly and determined in the face of physical shortcomings that would have hindered many others.

He was told once when he wanted to learn to play the saxophone and guitar that because of a problem with his hands, he'd never be able to do so.

Arnett mastered both instruments.

He devoured books, loved art, writing and the arts in general, from drama to dance, in the rough and tumble world of high school sports and athleticism.

"The environment didn't really foster many of the things he liked," Kirton said.

"His interests were somewhere else," his brother, Adon, said.

And, when taunted or treated unfairly, instead of lashing out, he forgave.

"He's unlike any people I know," said his brother. "He reminds me, when I think of the nonviolence, of Gandhi or Martin Luther King Jr."

"At one point (after his death) I became very angry, but I thought that's not what Anson would want," said his mother, Cheryl Fansler of Parowan. "The only time I saw him angry was when somebody made assumptions about his art or some of his writings before he perfected them, then he'd get really upset."

He was a committed educator.

"The last conversation I had with him, he was distraught because he didn't feel the school was doing enough to educate the kids he was working with," his brother said. "He had a teaching degree, was well-read, knew what it was like to educate. He was spending time outside of work exploring better ways of teaching these kids. He didn't believe, like most of society believes, that a kid gets into one of these homes and is lost."

He also had a great love of nature.

"One time he went to camp at the Parowan Gap," his brother said. "It was one of his favorite places because of his real affinity for Native American folklore and art, and he cared deeply about their spirituality. When he was driving, an eagle flew right in front of his car. He couldn't avoid it and hit it."

"He was so horrified," his mother said, picking up the story. "He got out, wrapped the eagle in his sleeping bag and drove all the way back to Cedar City to see if he could find somebody to help it. It was night and he couldn't, so he took the eagle back to his camp and put the eagle in his sleeping bag. I guess he just slept on the ground. The next morning, he woke up and the eagle woke up with him, then just flew off."

Kirton, who now lives in Evergreen, Colo., said she remembers a time when Arnett came to visit her while she was living in Steamboat Springs.

She said she waited and waited for his arrival, staying up most of the night without any sign of her brother.

"The next morning he drove in with a loaf of French bread and twigs all over his car," she said. "He smiled and said, 'I got lost so I slept in the field.'"

His thirst for adventure led him to travel throughout British Columbia, carrying only a backpack and small tent, his mother said.

"He wanted to go all the way to Alaska, but I was able to talk him out of it," she said. "He loved the outdoors."

"The outdoors was like his church," his brother, who lives in Portland, said. "Even if he was riding in a car, he couldn't stand it if the windows were up."

"He always slept with the windows open, no matter what the temperature was," Kirton added.

Arnett's brother spoke of character and courage.

"We're painting him out to be a really great guy who cared and looked out for others," he said. "He also had personal struggles. He struggled personally with the physical needs of his life because people are judgmental and it's hard to find just human needs in a situation like that.

"We didn't grow up rich, we grew up in a small town in rural Utah without a ton of opportunities, a single parent who worked hard for us, and he took that and used it as an advantage instead of a struggle."

"If he could say something now, he would probably want some sort of reform for homes like these," Kirton said. "Shutting down every group home in Southern Utah is not the answer. Refining the regulations is important to make sure this doesn't happen to somebody else."

Something very sad about this situation as it existed, way before the horror of a murder...

This nice, kind, outdoor-loving person seemed to really want to help wayward children.  Coming from a large family in Utah, I can imagine that he was Mormon, and looked to an employment offer from a group home of the same persuasion.  He had only worked for the place for six months or so, and was speaking to his friends and family about his unhappiness with the program of this home for his charges.  As a teacher, he was aware of the poor education being offered the kids.  It just seems that here was a young man with a real mission to help, and he was dumped into the reality of "teen help" in Utah.  Notice that he said **reform**, not closing all the group homes in Utah was needed.  He obviously had been aware of this option, maybe from conversations with folks about his concern for the teens in his care and their reaction that we should make all those facilities go away.

Who knows how abusive this home was.  Its managers were cut from the Teen Help model, and could the young pup that was raking in...let's see, $4500 x 11 boys = almost $50,000 a month... try something new and truly therapeutic when he learned from The Masters that *nobody really cares* what you do with these kids, as long as you'll take them out of circulation.  Were they allowed to talk to peers?  Were they allowed to communicate with their parents?  Were they being given help from accreditated licensed counselors?  Arnett was a credentialed teacher, and, extrapolating his comments to his family, he appears to have been very unhappy with how his job was playing out.  Would he have quit in frustration in the near future, had he been allowed to have a future?  The boys had been nearing "graduation", yet had the threat of being incarcerated longer ("...they were caught cheating and were not ready to go home") pushed them to far toward violent escape?  

This is not about a terrible crime, nor about the young men who committed it.  This post is about the place those young men were in, how abusive, how like an old "snake-pit" mental hospital, how like WWASPS, the environment was.  

Should all the group homes in Southern Utah be shut down?  I think so, if Utah cannot stand up and enforce the laws that it has in place to protect the young people [these 2 boys were from "back East"] sent to Utah.  

I'm sorry, but Utah has become a black hole to me.  Forget its natural beauty, forget its great work with geneology, forget its successful hosting of the Olympics.  Utah is synonomous with all the hick, red-neck, polygamous, downright nasty humans in this country.  How can this state and its poli-theology support family values, when such depravity is going on within its borders?  How come the planet seems tipped, with all the slime of youth correction sliding into the red rock canyons of one corner of one state [not including the red-neck abusive facilities in Mormon Idaho].  If laws exist, they should be enforced, and this group home should have been shut down if it did not benefit its charges.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2004, 05:15:00 PM »
Statement from Karr Farnsworth, Cross Creek Manor

http://www.kcsg.com/module/news/categor ... cerns.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »
Spots Writes:

I'm sorry, but Utah has become a black hole to me. Forget its natural beauty, forget its great work with geneology, forget its successful hosting of the Olympics. Utah is synonomous with all the hick, red-neck, polygamous, downright nasty humans in this country. How can this state and its poli-theology support family values, when such depravity is going on within its borders? How come the planet seems tipped, with all the slime of youth correction sliding into the red rock canyons of one corner of one state [not including the red-neck abusive facilities in Mormon Idaho]. If laws exist, they should be enforced, and this group home should have been shut down if it did not benefit its charges.

AMEN!
 :nworthy:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2004, 09:19:00 PM »
desperation comes out in many ways as people are pushed to the edge- some commit suicide, some seek escape at any cost.

remember the boys from the robert land academy - 1 escaped and was returned by police- 2 days later he and a buddy were missing and later killed as they lay on railroad tracks...rather die that go back??

hard to imagine that you could feel desperate enough to end lives...

and some suffer with PTSD for life...

all for what? to help them in some way?- who's served here?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »
no i dont remember the boys from robert land.  is robert land in business still?  
Hard for us to imagine how it would feel to get to that point.
thats sad.  ptsd must be awfulfor them, i cant imagine but,  i sure see how it affected my family. the ptsd seems to have subsided in my son.  i could see it was awful for him and it was heartbreaking to watch him deal with that.  i was so scared he would kill himself.  i enlisted everyone, family, friends, his friends' parents, doctors of course, and one lady at school cared too.  Between all of us he is finally coming around, back to himself  he needed a lot of help, love, and understanding to start to heal. A lot of people, a lot patience, and love.  
WP

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
***As far as I am concerned... they can kill a man like an adult, they should be judged as an adult.***

"A STUDY IN DOUBLE STANDARDS- When kids kill, it's a crime; when they die, it's an accident"
http://www.nospank.net/double.htmWhen

Although, it would be more accurate if it read, "when they are 'killed', it's an accident"

Many who have killed teens out of ignorance or neglect in this industry should have faced the death penalty. Most walked.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »
Teens to be tried as adults.  Article says it took an hour and a half before a call was made for help.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048181,00.html

:cry:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »
Wait a minute here. There were four other boys present. According to the director, all four were just shocked and horribly upset to see their beloved mentor getting roughed up. So they ... what, prayed for an hour and a half before deciding to call for help?

"One commentator pointed out that when the mafia commits violence, no
one suggests we bomb Sicily.  Today it seems we are, in a symbolic way, not only bombing "Sicily," but are thinking about bombing "Athens" (Iraq)."

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2001/cr112901.htm' target='_new'>Ron Paul, 11/29/01 Speech before Congress

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »
The article says the phone line was cut, the boys had to run quite a distance to the director's house but he wasn't home, so they ran to another counselor's home.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048181,00.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2004, 06:44:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »
According to the news article, it appears their license was apparently revoked by DHS for 3 violations:

(1) One counselor on duty, state law requires 2

(2) The group home failed to obtain background checks for Mr. Arnett and several other counselors at the home before "giving them direct access to children".

(3)Facility in violation of National Interstate Compact Laws, which required the facility to contact the state officials in Delaware before taking Simmons, originally from Wilmington, Del., into their care. The other teen is from Rockville, Md.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
policymakers, what say you?