Author Topic: Breaking News Story on Teen Advocates USA  (Read 42206 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Breaking News Story on Teen Advocates USA
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »
How did these kids get their hands on a baseball bat?  That is not something I would expect to see left unattended in a group home for troubled boys.

:eek:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
On 2004-03-11 12:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Moronic is right, but how is this any different than parents allowing their child to be *disciplined* by 16 year old *upper level* program kids?  With as much money as these programs are pulling in, trust me, they can afford to hire experienced, well-trained ADULTS.

:smokin:

"

No kidding! That was one aspect of the Program that I know my dad never fully assimilated. Sr. Staff were usually younger than 30. And my dad was a WWII Navy vet. For a long time, he wasn't allowed around the house because he simply refused to take orders or listen to foul language from these smart-assed kids. But, in the end, he did start following orders, as much as it pained him to do it.

That's just part of the cult mindset, I think. They've got a sure fire, 100% guaranteed (as long as you comply flawlessly, completely and w/o question or reservation) solution. Anybody can use it, even a 14yo. It's the only thing that matters, so don't "get into your head" over triffling matters like age; criminal history; your own, invariably wrong, gut feelings or sense of reason. Johnny Wonderful completed the program! So he's endowed w/ an "Awareness" and insight far beyond your lowly, newcomer, ability to even comprehend, far less question!

Do you want help or not!?!?!? . . .

< Siiiiiggggghhhhh > I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent.

Anyway, yeah, that is sort of a red flag there. Also, where are the quotes from those 4 wittnesses? Journalists often quote and/or interview minors who wittness violent crimes. I don't know about you, but I'm less impressed w/ what the guy's boss has to say than his students who were actually there at the time.

Nother red flag there, if you ask me.

Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.
--Winston Churchill

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »
Check archives on Red Cliff Ascent where a couple of years ago, a small group of teens attacked their camp/field counselors, tied them up, and took off into the wilderness before they were finally captured.  All of 'em were charged and convicted but I don't recall if any of them went to jail.  I don't think so.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »
On 2004-03-11 12:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Moronic is right, but how is this any different than parents allowing their child to be *disciplined* by 16 year old *upper level* program kids?  With as much money as these programs are pulling in, trust me, they can afford to hire experienced, well-trained ADULTS.

"

The extremely poor judgment of the parents who put their kids in these schools with very little information about the schools is the main reason I think many of these kids would be better off in foster care, bad as it is.

I think it might work better if the teen section was run as a separate area of the foster care system, with social services and the foster family putting together a handout of the House Rules and daily and weekly family chores for that family *before* the teen is placed there, along with normal consequences for normal breaches of the rules.

(Like you might get your allowance docked a quarter for forgetting to call your foster parents Sir or Ma'am, or a dollar for a blatantly rude statement, with extra chores undertaken for money credited back at minimum wage.)

If you tell the teen up front what the rules are, and they're consistent and not stupid (don't ban talking to other kids or looking in mirrors, forex), then the teen can be evaluated for something like ODD on a more objective basis than the emotionally loaded situation with his/her own parents.

You know, kids *used* to be apprenticed or fostered out, routinely, at age 7, to perhaps return to their parents at age 14, with most of the rights and responsibilities of adults, or to continue under a Master in their craft as Journeymen.

A lot of the problems our society has with teens is we try to keep them children too long---we don't give them the opportunity to use their responsible behavior to get out from under their parents and the strictures of being a minor *before* age 18.

I think kids ought to have all the rights and responsibilities of eighteen year olds as soon as they can pass their state's high school exit exam (not GED--too easy), or at age 18, whichever comes first.

Most of these teens that are defined by our society as having some sort of pathology are just biological adults making the natural and normal youth separation-from-parents to independence response/rebellion.  Many if not most of them, if they were given the chance to get out from under the control of their parents and out of the house into a job or college *early* just by studying hard would become some of the most enthusiastic scholars you've ever seen.  Not out of love of learning, of course, but out of desperation to get away from their parents.

I get along fine with my own parents now, and I was never sent away, but *why* I get along fine with my parents is that *I* control how much I see them and how long the visits are.  And I still have to see my parents and sisters in fairly small doses, because I love them dearly, but too much time around them and they drive me crazy.

Small visits work best.  I love my family dearly, but I'm a very independent and introspective person and I can't stand being in anybody's hip pocket all the time for very long.

If I had to live under my parents roof, I *still* would be as frustrated with them as I was as a teenager.  They're not bad people.  I love them.  But we're all stubborn and sot in our ways and just get along better in small doses.

I think that feeling kicks in just after puberty and for most people never quite goes away.

Kids with severe personality clashes with their parents *need* to move out not long after puberty---but not to these over-punitive TBS's.

Too bad we can't bring back old-style fosterage where people basically traded kids, and kids being fostered were on good terms with and visited their  own parents instead of living with them.

Oh, well.  "The world will go as it will and not as you or I would have it."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »
Someone asked why a base ball bat was there; I assume so the boys could play base ball.
Keep in mind; this was apparently a group home situation; not a lock down program of the type most often delt with on this forum.
There is an aspect of this so far uncommitted on; There are some parents who downplay how troubled their kids are. If they want a placement, they will sometimes describe a kid and their issues with something less than full disclosure; and this is how many kids end up in inadequate environments.
I know nothing more than what I can read in the articles; and am only speculating on how a couple of boys with the capability of such violence might have been placed in a family style open program.
I speculate; they might have been facing time in a juve facility; and the parents, meaning well, tried to find an alternative less restricting; and so fudged a little on the issues.
OR - the program director went against his better judgment and hoping he could help them, took in a couple boys beyond the reach of a group home program.
OR - There had prior to this been no sign the boys had this kind of violence in them.
Or - the vic was a brutal bastard when no one was looking, and had it coming.
NO telling at this point.
But I do feel sure the bat was there so the boys could play ball; and this is not unusual in a family group home type of program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2004, 06:18:00 PM »
Regarding the bat, reportedly the director does not know where it came from.

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?sid=80311&nid=5

:cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
On 2004-03-12 15:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Regarding the bat, reportedly the director does not know where it came from.

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?sid=80311&nid=5

:cry: "

More Updates, including statements from the Director regarding questions about the bat.

http://www.thespectrum.com/news/stories ... 49065.html

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »
The reason why the boys did not attempt to get help from a neighbor is still under investigation.
Holm said police responded to the group home on a call regarding a stolen vehicle around 11:30 p.m. When they arrived, the attempted homicide involving Arnett was discovered. Holm could not comment on why the assault was not reported to dispatch on the initial call
Holm said police have responded to this home before but without running the reports, he could not specify how many times or for what reasons.

Still no direct quote from any of the wittnesses, only the owner's assurances that they were shocked and not cheering the boys on.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
--Thomas Paine

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »
:flame:
This reminds me that at Hyde School a couple of
guys set fire to the main building (the "mansion")
so desperate were they to get out. This was the
year before I was there so '75-'76 school year.
They were still repairing the fire damage when I
was there. The story was that they were
prosecuted for arson.

Give me the youth, and Germany will rule the world.
--Hitler

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2004, 11:37:00 PM »
More info about the counselor, Anson Arnett, from family and friends.

http://thespectrum.com/news/stories/200 ... 73213.html

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2004, 06:09:00 AM »
I think the point has been forgotten... I live in Cedar City and this hits home for me...

I know of this situation personally...  how easily words are spoken from some of you...

This ADULT counselor worked for very little money and had big hopes for this kids that he worked with.  These particular kids had total disregard for the life of this man... they beat him over the head with a metal bat, hung him upside down, locked the closet and left him for dead... the intent was there... they CHOSE and PLANNED his death!  That shows intent...

As far as I am concerned... they can kill a man like an adult, they should be judged as an adult.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2004, 06:51:00 AM »
I think the point has been forgotten... I live in Cedar City and this hits home for me...

I know of this situation personally...  how easily words are spoken from some of you...

Anson Arnett worked for very little money.  Anson had big hopes for Jesse Simmons and Sean Graham. He was proud of the progress they had made. He wanted to make a difference in their lives... Jesse Simmons and Sean Graham, had total disregard for Anson's life... they conspired Anson's death, they planned to take that aluminum bat to use against Anson. They beat Anson's head with that baseball bat, hung Anson upside down, locked the closet and left him to die but not without cutting the phone lines and taking anything of value to pawn... Jesse Simmons and Sean Graham planned ahead- the intent to murder Anson was there... they CHOSE and PLANNED Anson's death before hand!  There is evidence of this...

Planning a homicide and following through with the capacity to think like an adult, there actions should be judged as an adult regardless of age.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2004, 09:26:00 AM »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis.

Being sleepy can impair someone's ability to do thier job.  People
can sleep at home and come to the job with sleepiness still in their system. The sleepiness can still be there long after the employee has slept. When someone is found to be sleepy on the job, they can claim that they went to sleep the night before.  The only solution to this problem is to ban employees from sleeping.

--Arthur Slabosky

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »
This was a home for *trobuled* youth, was it not? Why only one counselor on duty that night?  It was a violation of the DHS rules and regulations, from what I've read in statements from DHS officials.  This is a horrific tragedy that has left one man dead and two teens possibly facing the death penalty.  The boys are entitled to a fair trial and in my opinion, their lawyers should strongly consider bringing a motion for a change of venue.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »
Ooops, that's "troubled" (not trobuled).