Author Topic: Hyde / The family Foundation School  (Read 24479 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde / The family Foundation School
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »
THIS HYDE BOARD WILL NOT GO AWAY, AND PARENTS AND FORMER STUDENTS WILL MAKE SURE OF IT!! HYDE IS A TERRIBLE SITUATION FOR ANY CHILD OR FAMILY TO EXPERIENCE. WITH ALL THE INTELLIGENCE OUT THERE, EVENTUALLY HYDE WILL BE FOUND OUT. WE NEED AS A GROUP OF CONCERNED PARENTS TO HELP RAISE AWARENESS FOR THESE "UNREGULATED, PRIVATE, SCHOOLS" THAT REALLY JUST "DAMAGE" OUR CHILDREN AND EMPTY OUR BANK ACCOUNTS. HYDE DOES NOT HAVE ONE LISCENCED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL ON STAFF?????? YET THEY ENROLL CHILDREN WITH VARIED MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES???? THERE ALSO IS NO DOCTOR ON STAFF?? AND A SCHOOL NURSE DISPENSING MED'S???? YET THERE ARE MANY CHILDREN ENROLLED WHO ARE ON MEDICATIONS. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE???? MANY TEACHERS ARE STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE, WITH NO EXPERIENCE, WALKING INTO A SITUATIO WHERE KIDS ARE REALLY "INVOLVED" AND NEED SOMEONE TO FACILITATE WITH EXPERIENCE. SO CALLED "THERAPY SESSIONS" ARE RUN BY GENERAL STAFF, NO ONE WITH A DEGREE??? THIS SCHOOL, IF WE CAN CALL IT THAT, IS UP AND RUNNING BECAUSE PARENTS ARE DESPERATE AND SCARED ABD WILL DO ANYTHING TO HELP THEIR KIDS.IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILTY TO TAKE THIS TYPE OF FACILITIES "OUT". A GROUP JUST APPEARED BEFORE CONGRESS DISCUSSING JUST THIS - THE REGULATING OF THESE SO CALLED PRIVATE, EMOTIONAL GROWTH, CHARACTER DEVELOPING SCHOOLS.IT IS UP TO US, ALL OF US, TO KEEP THE QUESTIONS COMING, AND BE AS LOUD AS WE CAN BE, SO THAT CHANGE CAN HAPPEN. OUR KIDS FUTURES ARE AT STAKE.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
On 2005-12-29 19:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"THIS HYDE BOARD WILL NOT GO AWAY, AND PARENTS AND FORMER STUDENTS WILL MAKE SURE OF IT!! HYDE IS A TERRIBLE SITUATION FOR ANY CHILD OR FAMILY TO EXPERIENCE. WITH ALL THE INTELLIGENCE OUT THERE, EVENTUALLY HYDE WILL BE FOUND OUT. WE NEED AS A GROUP OF CONCERNED PARENTS TO HELP RAISE AWARENESS FOR THESE "UNREGULATED, PRIVATE, SCHOOLS" THAT REALLY JUST "DAMAGE" OUR CHILDREN AND EMPTY OUR BANK ACCOUNTS. HYDE DOES NOT HAVE ONE LISCENCED MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL ON STAFF?????? YET THEY ENROLL CHILDREN WITH VARIED MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES???? THERE ALSO IS NO DOCTOR ON STAFF?? AND A SCHOOL NURSE DISPENSING MED'S???? YET THERE ARE MANY CHILDREN ENROLLED WHO ARE ON MEDICATIONS. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE???? MANY TEACHERS ARE STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE, WITH NO EXPERIENCE, WALKING INTO A SITUATIO WHERE KIDS ARE REALLY "INVOLVED" AND NEED SOMEONE TO FACILITATE WITH EXPERIENCE. SO CALLED "THERAPY SESSIONS" ARE RUN BY GENERAL STAFF, NO ONE WITH A DEGREE??? THIS SCHOOL, IF WE CAN CALL IT THAT, IS UP AND RUNNING BECAUSE PARENTS ARE DESPERATE AND SCARED ABD WILL DO ANYTHING TO HELP THEIR KIDS.IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILTY TO TAKE THIS TYPE OF FACILITIES "OUT". A GROUP JUST APPEARED BEFORE CONGRESS DISCUSSING JUST THIS - THE REGULATING OF THESE SO CALLED PRIVATE, EMOTIONAL GROWTH, CHARACTER DEVELOPING SCHOOLS.IT IS UP TO US, ALL OF US, TO KEEP THE QUESTIONS COMING, AND BE AS LOUD AS WE CAN BE, SO THAT CHANGE CAN HAPPEN. OUR KIDS FUTURES ARE AT STAKE. "

You're right -- this website about Hyde is not likely to go away.  What's happened is that many people got a lot of their strong negative feelings about Hyde off their chests.  That's why it's slowing down some - no need for people to repeat themselves.  I assure you, however, that there are enough people out there who are determined to spread the word about Hyde that this will not go away.  It may be slower, and that's just fine.  It can take months of intense work to create a work of art.  Then it gets put on display and people visit it, reflect on it, and talk about it.  That's what has happened here - lots of people have done the intense work of putting their thoughts and feelings on display.  Now some of these people are slowing down to let others review what they've displayed.  It's only natural.  Eventually newer comments about Hyde will emerge.

Offline bridget

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2006, 05:38:00 PM »
is the family school that bad?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »
It's a great school. :wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »
Please lets not post on this board about Hyde.  What happens is that when someone googles, "the Family Foundation School" they come to this because the original poster was talking about Family School.  All messages about Hyde should be talked about on another thread!

Thank you

Offline Anonymous1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2006, 01:07:00 AM »
Yes the family school is THAT bad. You can't go to the bathroom by yourself, 4 minute showers, must finish everything on your plate and if you dont they will make you eat it for your next meal and they wont give you a new meal until it's done, you can get put in the corner, taken out of school all day and be forced to do physical labor, stand all day only being allowed to sit the last 10 minutes of every hour.......the list goes on :sad:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2006, 09:39:00 AM »
talk about this on the Family School thread...keep it outta here!!

Offline StephenLong

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
I am a former Hyde student, I lived there for two years in the early eighties, and I did not graduate with a Hyde diploma but received a high school degree.

I wasn't "troubled, drug abusing, or one step away from jail" when I enrolled and I didn't want to go, but I was very unhappy at home and my folks made me go to Hyde. I had been attending a public school that allowed me to hide in the corner and none of the faculty pushed me to achieve or challenged me in any way. I didn't participate in any extracurricular activities. Hyde made me participate in athletics, theatre, and those experiences made me a much better person. In fact I have had a life long participation in club sports and am now coaching High school athletes because I learned what team sports are really about while at Hyde.

My experience wasn't perfect and I still wish I had done some things differently while I was there, but I am a much, much better person now because of my time at Hyde school.

The people who are posting messages here should sign your name to your statements. I have a really difficult time accepting what people say anonymously. To make statements such as I am reading here on this message board, and not be willing to say who you are is cowardly.

State your name and your history at or with the school so people can judge your statements and evaluate the accuracy of those statements based upon the writers' prejudices.

Stephen Long
Hyde School Student 1980/81
uckPondDiver

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »
On 2006-01-25 09:44:00, StephenLong wrote:

"I am a former Hyde student, I lived there for two years in the early eighties, and I did not graduate with a Hyde diploma but received a high school degree.

I wasn't "troubled, drug abusing, or one step away from jail" when I enrolled and I didn't want to go, but I was very unhappy at home and my folks made me go to Hyde. I had been attending a public school that allowed me to hide in the corner and none of the faculty pushed me to achieve or challenged me in any way. I didn't participate in any extracurricular activities. Hyde made me participate in athletics, theatre, and those experiences made me a much better person. In fact I have had a life long participation in club sports and am now coaching High school athletes because I learned what team sports are really about while at Hyde.

My experience wasn't perfect and I still wish I had done some things differently while I was there, but I am a much, much better person now because of my time at Hyde school.

The people who are posting messages here should sign your name to your statements. I have a really difficult time accepting what people say anonymously. To make statements such as I am reading here on this message board, and not be willing to say who you are is cowardly.

State your name and your history at or with the school so people can judge your statements and evaluate the accuracy of those statements based upon the writers' prejudices.

Stephen Long

Hyde School Student 1980/81

"

I am glad to hear that you had a positive Hyde experience.  Unfortunately, many students don't, as this website demonstrates.  The Hyde student body seems to have changed considerably since you were there.  The school now enrolls significant numbers of kids with major mental health, substance abuse, and behavioral issues.  Many of us question the school's ability to meet the needs of those students.

I understand you want all of us to post our identity. For me there's a simple explanation for my anonymity: I've heard too many stories about kids at Hyde being harrassed when their parents speak out against Hyde or challenge the school's administrators. That's not a risk I'm willing to take at this point; I have lots of reasons not to trust Hyde. I have to balance my concerns about possible mistreatment with my strong belief that people who are considering Hyde need to see these postings. I understand full disclosure would be preferable; I may do that later, but I can't take that risk now. In the meantime, I would encourage anyone who reads these posts to ask hard questions of Hyde staff, talk with parents of current/former students, assess the parents' credibility, and decide whether Hyde makes sense for their child. In my humble opinion, sending a child to Hyde is a serious risk in many, if not most, instances. I have little confidence in the school's ability to meet the needs of significant numbers of its students.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
Oh shut the fuck up already, like Hyde would waste their time by calling and harassing you because you post on a little message board?! Get a grip, and stop being so vindictive against ANYONE who post's anything remotely against the way you feel..It's so obvious from the body and tone of your responses its *YOU* TIME AND TIME AGAIN..Shut the fuck up..Anti-Hyde cry baby! ::mecry::  :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
On 2006-01-24 22:07:00, Anonymous1 wrote:

"Yes the family school is THAT bad. You can't go to the bathroom by yourself, 4 minute showers, must finish everything on your plate and if you dont they will make you eat it for your next meal and they wont give you a new meal until it's done, you can get put in the corner, taken out of school all day and be forced to do physical labor, stand all day only being allowed to sit the last 10 minutes of every hour.......the list goes on :sad: "
Heres a tissue, cry!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »
To the contrary, I believe the vast majority of people who attend Hyde have a positive experience and get a very good education.

The people who are posting negative messages are a vocal minority who had a bad experience and are not necessarily willing to admit to their own failings.

I was there for two full years and one summer session. I did more than my share of time on workcrew and 2-4, and never, ever saw the abuses that are being cited repeatedly here. If you committed a major offense (stealing, drug use, cheating, etc) you would be put on workcrew and made to do mindless boring tasks in order to be punished, but also to give you time to think about what you had done and how it effects your friends and family.

The typical task would be to move a wood pile from the north end of the dorm to the south end of the dorm, then back again or to dig a hole 6 feet square then fill it back in after you were done. I was given the wonderful task of raking the lawn in front of the mansion, which is several acres in size at least, all by myself on a windy fall day!  No one was threatened, physically abused or emotionally abused and no one was forced to remain at Hyde against their will. It is a school, not a prison and if you were really unhappy there you could just leave.

The teachers and staff were working hard to help students learn how to become strong, confident and positive members of society. Sure you might miss a few classes, and maybe get behind in schoolwork while dealing with such important behavioral problems, but sometimes you have to make choices about things like this in real life as well.

Again, I consider the source whenever I hear something positive or negative about anything, and if people are unwilling to stand up for what they say I find it difficult to lend their statements too much credence. Especially those who post using foul language and making outrageous statements.

Stephen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »
Our daughter and family went to Hyde School, Woodstock, CT, for four years, 2000-2005. We have no regrets, except that we didn't start sooner. Hyde gives priority to family and Character development. Check them out: http://www.hyde.edu/page.ww?section=Adm ... +Challenge
Try Summer Challenge for a month:
SUMMER CHALLENGE (For Non-Hyde, Prospective, and New Hyde Students) July 10 - August 13, 2006
Summer Challenge is for teenagers, ages 14 - 18, who are looking for fun and challenging experiences. This program blends thrilling outdoor experiences with a dynamic character development program in which participants have the opportunity to connect with the positive influences that will drive them toward reaching their highest potential.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »
On 2006-01-25 18:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Our daughter and family went to Hyde School, Woodstock, CT, for four years, 2000-2005. We have no regrets, except that we didn't start sooner. Hyde gives priority to family and Character development. Check them out: http://www.hyde.edu/page.ww?section=Adm ... +Challenge

Try Summer Challenge for a month:

SUMMER CHALLENGE (For Non-Hyde, Prospective, and New Hyde Students) July 10 - August 13, 2006

Summer Challenge is for teenagers, ages 14 - 18, who are looking for fun and challenging experiences. This program blends thrilling outdoor experiences with a dynamic character development program in which participants have the opportunity to connect with the positive influences that will drive them toward reaching their highest potential."

This is a PERFECT example of the kind of misleading rhetoric Hyde distributes.  Notice how this message does not say one word about the fact that the vast majority of students who enroll at Hyde and in Summer Challenge are "turnaround" kids who come to the school with major behavioral and/or mental health and/or substance abuse issues.  This is exactly the kind of propaganda that misled our family into enrolling our child in Summer Challenge.  It took us several months to figure out that Hyde had not been honest with us about the students it enrolls and the way it operates.  

Any naive parent who reads this publicity statement about Hyde's program would think this is like summer camp with an outward bound component included.  It sounds great, the sort of place for a wonderful experience with high functioning kids.  Imagine all the surprised parents (like us) who then discover what kinds of kids end up enrolling at Hyde and the reasons why.  I am all in favor of Hyde's students getting the help they need; Hyde's deceptive practices aren't their fault or responsibility.  This PR statement is a remarkable example of misleading advertising.

I have now attended many Hyde events where staff preach "truth over harmony" and the importance of honesty.  Doesn't it seem ironic that Hyde would be so dishonest about its own programs?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
Vocal minority!!!!!