Author Topic: I saw The Passion Of The Christ tonight  (Read 27087 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I saw The Passion Of The Christ tonight
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »
Greg,

my post was directed to Scott, perhaps you missed that. I appreciate your brilliance yet it doesn't overwhelm or persuade me. There are some things that I know that I know and they may defy logic...glad at least you're interested in the subject and hope you continue your search.

seems you're looking for a debate...won't find one here - wish you the best in all that you do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »
And at least you agree your beliefs defy logic. We are getting somewhere.

I don't wish to change your mind, only make you think about what you say and how you say it.

I am searching, anon, but not in the sense you  suggest. I am not searching for supernatural answers to questions for which I do not know the answer. I am only searching, in the context of this discussion, for open discussion on things that are frequently said by the religious that normally go unchallenged.

We haven't even got to the prior assertion that someone made here, that a portion of the "arc" had been found.  

Hey, great Idea, lets talk about the flood and the fantastical finding of the Arc as referenced earlier by I think Scott. (forgive me if it was someone else).
Post your evidence that the flood happened, that the world was covered completely by water and two of every species was on one boat, and that all life is descendent from same. Better still, post your evidence that the flood of noah is an original biblical story and not lifted almost verbatim from a different, earlier religion.

warning, I may be baiting you here into a discussion that will not increase your faith....

:grin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »
My faith is solid, but I spent most of my life an unbeliever but the Lord grabbed me hard a few years ago... I've done alot of research- I referred you to a book called, "The bible is History" also might be interested in "Evidence that demands a verdict" 1 and 2 volumes...they are very intellectual writings.

don't really have the time or feel the neccesity to convince you-(that's the job of the Holy Spirit) those are some resources if you're interested. didn't realize until now that you're were trying to shake the faith of others...

from my experience once you have a life transformed by Christ Jesus there's not much the world or intellects can do to change your mind...thankfully I'm possessed and spoiled for the world and it's views- hard to explain it's a supernatural experience that seems to be happening at outstanding rates these days...

maybe you could ask God if he's real to give you a supernatural experience?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »
Thanks, but those books are similar to "creation science". That is, they start with a conclusion, and then try to back into that conclusion. This is a totally unscientific and fallicious method to presenting evidence.

As for you, I didn't think you would pick up my challenge. I am not trying to "shake your faith" I am trying to engage conversation on why you believe in these fantastical supernatural stories. Again, attack the messenger, bring into question their motives, or claim some higher authority (thats the holy ghosts job, ask god to...). In other words, duck behind fallicious arguments...

Yawn.....

Lets talk about the flood and the Ark and stop this mumbo jumbo. You claim to be well read on the subject, enlighten us!

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »
Good lord anon, it took me three readings to even digest this, and then still it makes no sense. Do you practice this sort of "logic" or is it how your brain naturally functions?

"you have a life transformed by Christ Jesus there's not much the world or intellects can do to change your mind...thankfully I'm possessed and spoiled for the world and it's views- hard to explain it's a supernatural experience that seems to be happening at outstanding rates these days..."

Watch CNN or Fox news, anon, cultic religious experiences and claimed "supernatural" events are nothing new or nothing unique to christianity. Hell, this stuff has been going on since perhaps before the written word. Still not one shred of credible evidence anywhere that any supernatural event has ever occured.

If I am wrong, present it here.

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2004-03-02 15:53 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »
On 2004-03-02 12:49:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm not a bible scholar or a religious zealot, but I think the "flood" is a myth/tradition that is in lot of different religions, some in fact many older than christianity.   Same thing with the scape goat thing of Jesus.   I think I remember this stuff from religion classes in my college days."

Right you are, anon. The myth of the great flood and noahs ark was directly plagarized from another earlier religion. It is not a "christian story" at all, or even a jewish story.

Only the names were changed to protect the credulous.

anyone challenge this assertion?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
Sadom and Gamorrah have been discovered buried under volcanic ash via satelite.
Many biblical stories have been proven to hold truth, but like Cayo said, "a comit in the sky could have been seen as a sign from God back then."  So things did occur, but why is debatable.  Nature or God??  but one thing remains the same,  I heard about the movie,

Seems like a bunch of swival-headed, rubbernecking, casuality vampires flocking to the theatre to see Jesus suffer and get nailed to a cross.
(typical christianity)
"who cares about his teachings, we want to see gwar," shouts the christian.

Why do people use a cross as a worship symbol?
Why not replace Lincoln with a bullet on the penny?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »
On 2004-03-02 16:16:00, Reagon Youth wrote:

"Sadom and Gamorrah have been discovered buried under volcanic ash via satelite.

"

Really?this has been verified? what is the name of the archeologist? Is he credible?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2004, 07:49:00 PM »
SATELITE  discovered by NASA.  the story is in my Biology book from college.  I gave the book to my daughter.  I'll ask her to bring it over tommarrow and I'll post the exact references.

NASA reliable??  don't know, their spaceship blew up last year and part of it landed on my car and fucked it up.
I called and asked them for their insurance and they never called back.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »
So you are saying NASA has found and CONFIRMED Sodom and Gomorah, and this is old news?

I can't wait for this verification!  Bring it!

Caveat, just because two cities may be buried under volcanic ash does not confirm the biblical story.  In fact, it is very likely that ancient cities near volcanoes may be buried under volanic ash. This in no way proves or disproves the biblical account.

and could it be, that this was one guy interpreting NASA photos, NOT NASA and NOT A arceologist but instead a "bible scholar" and that this interpreter had a predesposition to find religious verification, and that no one else has bought into it? In other words, it was one of the very common things that you hear with a splash then quietly disappear when not shown to be credible?

Just asking....

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2004-03-02 18:05 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »
Well, I'm glad I saw the movie, but man, it turned my stomach to watch everybody around me gorging themselves on buttered popcorn and supersize softdrinks while that angry mob of "disbelievers" essentially beat and tortured Jesus of Nazareth to death.  It was sickening to watch these moviegoers as they stuffed their expressionless faces, not a one covering their eyes or ears, or wiping the tears, as I did virtually throughout the entire movie.  

"It is accomplished", were Jesus' last words.

Sounded pretty damn prophetic, to me.

:sad:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2004, 09:56:00 PM »
Time to recap. There have been some fascinating claims right here in this thread that unfortunately, when you asked for verification, the christians do a duck and run.  Let's list a few

1) It's all history. If you do your homework you will see that what you call fairy tales actually coincides with historical events. (an asssumption that if a historical event is mentioned, it validates the supernatural...a dubious unfactual claim)

2) in response to a query that "there are no historical contemporary references to Jesus during his lifetime, we get from Scott "how many do you want", ( then we get ZERO. NONE.)

3) The bible is one of the only most historically correct writings of our time and this is proven. (patently false the bible contains contradictory accounts of hundreds,if not thousands of stories, often in the same sections.)

4) they have actually found part of the ark (No details, no validation, no pictures, no citations, just a random declaration)

5)Carl Sagan said there was a "giant hand" guiding the universe. (when asked to produce the quote, a no show)

6)The book "the bible code was relevant" ( a proven fraud)

7)To know evil is to know God. Simple as that.(no it isn't, but thanks for the logic lesson)

:cool: brains and pride can be dangerous things in the Kingdom of God(one of my favorites..hey, check your brain at the door...your in heaven baby!)

9)Greg, my question to you is why do you insult people and try and hurt people (when all greg (me) did was question the outrageous statements that christians generally get away with. Say something be prepared to back it up)

10)I could type in answers to some of your questions that I found some answers to but, I decided not to(oh boy, here we go, got the answer but you can't have it. How credible is that?)

11)The Bible also says that when talking with unbelievers it will be like you talk another language they cannot understand( in other words, anything you say is valid, we just don't understand...hmmm)

12)Sadom and Gamorrah have been discovered burief under volcanic ash via satelite verified by NASA no less!!( a precursory research of this "fact" indicates it was a "religious scholar" not a scientist and certainly not NASA, and it is an  interpretation largely dismissed as kooky in the world of science.)

This is just the start and is a window into the mind of the credulous. We also have the Shroud of tourin, the casket of jesus, face on mars, the stain of virgin mary, weeping icons, faith healers, and the other fraudulent religious relics and persons that shows up from time to time. They have ALL been proven to be fraudulent on one level or the other. This evidence is dismissed or overlooked and people just damn choose to believe the supernatural because it feels good to explain away their death in wonderous terms.  

With christianity, you never die. The people who questioned your belief burn for eternity! What a deal!

With Muslims, you get to fuck virgins for eternity! What a deal! (unless you are the virgin and get sentenced to eternity with one of these goat herders)

With other religions, you get to do it again with improvement over and over! fucked up your life? Do it again next time better! No problem! Kind of the religious equivalent of the movie "groundhog day.

Manwhile, my daughters science book from her Baptist school clearly states that the bible is infallible and ALL EVIDENCE AND SCIENCE THAT TENDS TO DISCREDIT THE BIBLE MUST BE DISMISSED! THIS IS THE BASIS FOR 'CREATION SCIENCE'. THIS IS NOT SCIENCE, IT IS ANCIENT RELIGION THAT PEOPLE WITH A RELIGIOUS AGENDA ARE SHOVING DOWN OUR COLLECTIVE THROATS. THEY ARE TRYING TO STOP THOUGHT AND PROGRESS, TRYING TO REVERSE SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY,
Well, creation science terrorists, the earth is round, it is old, There is no 'firmament between heaven and earth, light did not exist before the stars,  there was no flood that covered the earth, there is no evidence "giants" ever walked the earth, there is no evidence a virgin was impregnated by god,  there is no credible evidence for supernatural beings including gods, goblins, devils, ghosts, angels,demons, vampires, or other such scary stuff.

this is so basic, so ancient, and so telling of our weak scared state as a species. A little grey matter is a dangerous thing, but not in heaven as anon says...right here on earth!

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2004, 09:58:00 PM »
On 2004-03-02 18:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Well, I'm glad I saw the movie, but man, it turned my stomach to watch everybody around me gorging themselves on buttered popcorn and supersize softdrinks while that angry mob of "disbelievers" essentially beat and tortured Jesus of Nazareth to death.  It was sickening to watch these moviegoers as they stuffed their expressionless faces, not a one covering their eyes or ears, or wiping the tears, as I did virtually throughout the entire movie.  

"It is accomplished", were Jesus' last words.

Sounded pretty damn prophetic, to me.

:sad:

"

I havent seen the movie, but I read the book from cover to cover several times, and often refresh my readings for discussions like this. i find the bible a fascinating window into superstition and ancient man myths.

Jury is still out when I will see the movie. Kind of waiting for HBO to pick it up in a couple years. I feel no urgency.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »
The bible is false
The bible is false
Don't believe the bible
'Cause the bible is false

The torah is wrong
The torah is wrong
Judaism's evil
And the torah is wrong

Islam's insane
Islam's insane
Mohammed died of syphilis
And Islam's insane

The Pope is a queer
The pope is a queer
He has sex with little boys
The Pope is a queer

Religion is bad
Religion is bad
Started up by aliens
To fuck with your head

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2004, 12:06:00 AM »
Yeah, I would much rather have seen the movie on HBO or DVD.  I'm not much of a curent-movie-goer myself; like you, never saw the urgency, and/or any harm in waiting to see a movie "on my own terms" (meaning in a prone position, head propped up on my bed pillows and my favorite snacks within easy arm reach!)  Come to think of it, that's pretty much where and how I like to read,too.  Sheesh, what does this say about me?  Oh, did I mention my pillow partner?  He's cool with the routine, though he does have a bad habit of sawing those z's way before intermission, if ya catch my drift, here.