Author Topic: I saw The Passion Of The Christ tonight  (Read 27084 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I saw The Passion Of The Christ tonight
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »
I was attacked and I attacked enough people in straight to last me a lifetime.

Kpickle39

Thanks Greg- I  try and apporach my life w/an open mind.  Hell, I even learned to agree w/some democrat and libetarian (sp) by having an open mind; but - I'm still a liberal white guy from the south.  LOL
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »
On 2004-03-03 11:12:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Greg this thread was started by someone sharing about the Passion of the Christ movie and his thoughts on it but somewhere the focus seems to have changed. personally I've not seen the movie yet and would like to hear from more who have

I don't think the original post was intended as a movie review.  This discussion evolved into what it is, which for me so far, has been very enlightening.

how is it that your daughter is in a baptist school? for whatever reason hope that someday she is accepted for who she is and what she may believe by you -dad-

because if dad is  angry/annoyed (as you seem) that she might believe something dad sees as wrong what would dad do to make her see his way?...would you care less and condition your love for her based on what she believes?  some parents who place their children in facilities tried to change what their children believed and attempted to ensure they would grow up and live the life they (parents)thought was pleasing..hope that you are an unconditional lover where she is concerned.

I think this is totally out of line.  This is his personal choice regarding HIS daughter.  He is free to raise his daughter however he sees fit.  He didn't sound to me like he was angry with religion, per se, just the people who answer legit questions with things like "I believe in believing".  The very FACT that she IS going to a Baptist school shows me that he is NOT closed minded.

and the little passive-aggressive dig at the end there about parents putting their kids in facilities was also out of line.  If you've been reading these boards for any length of time, you know that he is a survivor of one of those very 'facilities'.  To me, that was just to try and put him on the defensive.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed people can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
-- Margaret Mead

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »
Im with you, Cayuhueso. This Passion of christ thread was never about a movie review. Scott posted his approval and recommendation of the movie, and the first response was critical of christianity and called it fiction.  

There is a kind of cultural war going on in this country where the christian right is on all fronts trying to impose, by law and social pressures, their morality and religion on everyone else even as the country continues to become more and more diverse.

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »
There is a kind of cultural war going on in this country where the christian right is on all fronts trying to impose, by law and social pressures, their morality and religion on everyone else even as the country continues to become more and more diverse.

Dude, you're still living in the 80's.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »
Do you read the news FT, or you just hear to amuse yourself again.

Go back to the other thread where you are  all slinging insults and trolling up a productive website, or stay here and actually try to contribute.

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
:wstupid:

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
I, personally, am getting quite a bit out of this thread.  I'm not just talking about the skeptical side either.  I've gone through quite a bit in the last few years and it's made me question a lot of things.  I've never been an especially religious person, I was raised Methodist, but I couldn't even tell you what that means.  We attended church sporadically but I was always taught to believe in God.  I guess I did for the most part, just because I was scared to question it.  And no, it's not like because I had bad stuff happen in my life I 'lost my faith', or 'turned my back on the church'.  I never really understood any of it except that I was supposed to be a good girl, pray to Jesus and I would go to heaven some day.  I'm just questioning things now.  I'm not anti-spirituality, but I am anti-religion.  That's because of what I stated before.  The Bible was written by people who believed.  It was written as a record of their beliefs and teachings.  IMO, it was never intended to be an historical document.

I do, however, believe in the power of prayer because if people truly believe then they are going feel comforted by that.  I would love to be able to feel that way too, but unless I see actual evidence, I cannot take the Bible literally.  To me it represents a collection of stories, maybe based on truth, but embellished to teach a lesson.  There's nothing wrong with that.  If you think those lessons are valid and they help you to live a happier, more peaceful life...wonderful, then by all means, BELIEVE.  I think everyone can learn a lot about living a happier life from the Bible, but not for the same reasons YOU believe that.  

Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right.
--Carl Schurz, German-born U.S. general and U.S. senator

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
good post cayohueso... You know, I am not anti religion. Some of the people I love most in this world are religious. Certain religions, however, seem to be dangerous, and fundamental christianity is one of the worst offenders of human decency thruout history. Whenever a religion feels it is right and all others are damned to eternal hell, a receipy for disaster is born.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2004, 06:14:00 PM »
Ditto on the good post.  I am anti -religion and pro -spirituality.  The bible is a tool used to control people.  It is and has been used as a political tool, mostly.  It was very useful in colonization for example.
There is a hierarchy of spirituality which puts believing in something because you have looked inside your heart for truth over believing in something because it is written in the bible.  We are all connected to each other and to this universe, and that is where the truth lies.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
Opiates are the Mass  :skull: of my Religion

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
glad to see your posts too Greg- sorry I must have mis-read the posts about your daughter I thought it was typed in alot of CAPS indicating irritation?

some believe that the only Christian vote is a Rep. vote - I disagree and hear many in my circle re- thinking the current administration..for many reasons..mine have much to do with what I've learned of the family ties to Sembler and this industry- that I've learned from Straight survivors..sort of cemented it for me when bush says he'll give 30 million to districts that want to randomly drug test teens!

sorry about the anon. for reasons I must stay this way but I'm a real person and interested in what is happening in the industry you were placed in and regulating it in the future so we don't have a nation full of children being parented by checkbook and fear..

I'm also interested in how the lives and values of those placed in these total control enviroments are playing out..lots of sad stories out there and with record numbers of kids in private prisons now long term effects seem important - I'm interested in the values of those abused how your experience may have caused you to draw near or draw away.

hope that the cycle is broken and you all parent in a respectful way..

also believe it takes the Lord to restore what the enemy has stolen ..or some pretty good doctoring- individual spirits were damaged or destroyed or attempted to be destroyed.. the only fixer of broken spirits I know of is who I call Lord

also for most of my life I ignored and dismissed God--but it's not at all about religion in fact the Bible says He hates religion - it's about relationship with him....Imagine that He as your heavenly Father could love you more than you love your daughter..pretty awesome to meditate on that..

I choose not to respond to some of the questions by choice- the Supernatural is just that supernatural and I am told to live by faith and not by sight - to believe in things unseen..I've found that not only 5 senses can discern by by my spirit as well

know that you would find the reading of "Evidence that demands a Verdict" intellectual enough for you..hope you will take me up on it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
glad to see your posts too Greg- sorry I must have mis-read the posts about your daughter I thought it was typed in alot of CAPS indicating irritation?

some believe that the only Christian vote is a Rep. vote - I disagree and hear many in my circle re- thinking the current administration..for many reasons..mine have much to do with what I've learned of the family ties to Sembler and this industry- that I've learned from Straight survivors..sort of cemented it for me when bush says he'll give 30 million to districts that want to randomly drug test teens!

sorry about the anon. for reasons I must stay this way but I'm a real person and interested in what is happening in the industry you were placed in and regulating it in the future so we don't have a nation full of children being parented by checkbook and fear..

I'm also interested in how the lives and values of those placed in these total control enviroments are playing out..lots of sad stories out there and with record numbers of kids in private prisons now long term effects seem important - I'm interested in the values of those abused how your experience may have caused you to draw near or draw away.

hope that the cycle is broken and you all parent in a respectful way..

also believe it takes the Lord to restore what the enemy has stolen ..or some pretty good doctoring- individual spirits were damaged or destroyed or attempted to be destroyed.. the only fixer of broken spirits I know of is who I call Lord

also for most of my life I ignored and dismissed God--but it's not at all about religion in fact the Bible says He hates religion - it's about relationship with him....Imagine that He as your heavenly Father could love you more than you love your daughter..pretty awesome to meditate on that..

I choose not to respond to some of the questions by choice- the Supernatural is just that supernatural and I am told to live by faith and not by sight - to believe in things unseen..I've found that not only 5 senses can discern by by my spirit as well

know that you would find the reading of "Evidence that demands a Verdict" intellectual enough for you..hope you will take me up on it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »
On 2004-03-03 15:35:00, ShaneUNC wrote:

"I say we should definitely question anything that tells us it is wrong to question it. .....

I still don't know what is out there. I don't understand it. AND I am very weary of anybody who thinks they DO understand what is out there.

SH

Hell, none of us do Shane. that is the purpose of all these competing religions and superstitious beliefs. We have been blessed with enough brain power to figure out wonderfully complex things, and cursed with to little to rationalize our own mortality.

This is our plight as humans.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »
And anon, I promise you when I get time to read this book. I will tell you tho, that I have read plenty of similar stuff and loose interest when it becomes apparant they are backing into a forgon conclusion.

My brain refuses to function on tilt.....

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »
me again, forgot to log in.