Author Topic: Whitmore Academy in Utah?  (Read 73094 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Whitmore Academy in Utah?
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
On 2005-01-18 21:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

am not sure who asked me the questions about the subs but u know i have been doing some thinking and i had the discussion with some other friends of mine. Why would brain washing good stuff and positive affirmations be a bad thing?? well it's good that they were positive things just i think that any type of brain washing taken to that extreme is unhealthy along with the sleep deprivation that went with it. It was terible. I remember being the sub monitor not being able to barely lift a finger in the morning because i was so tired my brain wasn't even functioning right.

I've asked about it. Honestly, a couple of people have. Back when the whoamidiscovery.com website was wide open, I wandered around a bit and invited a few friends to do the same.

We read a bunch of the reports that you guys did on each other. To a lot of us, those looked just exactly like what we called OBs (observations). In our program, Straight, when we got to the highest level before graduation, we had to write obs on lower phasers every day.

The subliminals seemed suspicious for a couple of reasons. If you put together the timeframes that ya'll talk about, it's obvious that nobody was getting enough sleep. If you really want to addle someone's brain, the best way to do that is to mess w/ their sleep in the wee hours, early in the morning. That's when most people get their best REM sleep. The subs looked to me like a good way to intrude on that.

Another way to keep people well off balance is to press constant contradiction on them. In our program, whenever someone was getting an ass kicking--either right there in the room where we could see (if we broke the rule and looked) or in the next room where you could only hear the yelling and banging--staff would have us sing cheerful little nursery rhymes at the top of our lungs. There is nothing quite like a couple of group renditions of Zippety-Do-Dah sung fast and loud over the screams of a kid getting their ass kicked on the floor next to you.

Here's the creepy part. We pulled it off! Unlike Whitmore, our parents were at least as close as the parking lot twice a day and inside the building twice a week. They saw us every day once we made 2nd phase. And we had them, and in many cases ourselves, thoroughly convinced that there was just nothing goin' on in there but cheerfullness and positivity. It was against the rules to be negative! If you were negative, why you might get confronted by group (purely out of love, of course). And this could go on for hours and hours if you did't catch yourself and play it right!

The way the subs have been described in the context of some of what else has been described reminds me of that aspect of the thing.

The other thing that bothers me about it is that it's obvious that you kids are placed in authority over other kids and required to enforce these rather unusual (to say the least!) program policies on each other.

I hope everybody reading this understands that kids are kids and that there are damned good reasons why we don't allow them to vote, hold public office, enter into binding contracts, etc. And why we give everyone a clean slate, by default, at the age of majority.

If any of you are afraid to talk about what goes on there because you think you're responsible, think again. The adults are responsible. You kids are in the process of becoming adults. We all understand that. I'm not saying you're the same as 10 year olds or anything. But if Mark and Cheryl have you thinking that if you tell you'll all be in some trouble, that's just bull! They'll be in some deep shit because they're adults who ought to know better. You guys are just doing what you're told and conditioned to believe is right.

Oh, and BTW, I understand that the Whitmore is only licensed as a B&B at the moment and that your parents are paying good money for your stay there. I think you ought to tell the Sudweeks to rattle some pots and pans and bring you breakfast in your rooms!

Emotions rule the world; Is it any wonder that it's so mucked up?!
http://fornits.com/rates.htm' target='_new'>Bill Warbis

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2005, 05:49:00 PM »
Yea, and the Sudweeks "surrendered their license to have a treatment center at the Whitmore too" WONDER WHY????  So when Cheryl Sudweeks wants to have one of her late night little therapy group sessions, all you kids can use the fine language she encorages there, and just tell her to FUCK OFF and bring you a midnight snack instead!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2005, 05:57:00 PM »
Parents: Pull up the Whitmore Bed and Breakfast on the internet.  The room rates are advertised at $55 to $85 per night. We were paying $3,750 per month to have our daughter at Whitmore.  Now that there is no treatment available for kids at Whitmore...and we all know that education is of minor consideration there....JUST WHAT EXACTLY is your hard-earned money paying for?  Divide that cheap Bed and Breakfast room rate by 3 to 4 guests....and guess what?  You may need to ask the Sudweeks for a great big ole REFUND, people!Especially when your own kids do all the cooking and cleaning at that fine Bed and Breakfast.
Add in the fact that your own kids do their own teaching, what a deal.  Maybe we all need to quit our jobs and open up a Bed and Breakfast for minor kids ourselves up there in Utah.

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2005, 06:08:00 PM »
Thank you for explaining some of the things we had questions about at Whitmore.  Also, thank you for being very kind to our daughter while she was there.  She had very nice things to say about you, and knew that you really cared about her.  You will never know how much we appreciate your goodness and sweetness, and I am happy that you are home and safe. I was very worried about you, and I am so glad that you are doing so well.
You are very brave, honest and I am proud of you.I am an adult, and the lies hurt---so I know you have been hurt too; but you have done the right thing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »
On 2005-01-20 19:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html"

First testimonial:
but we saw nothing that would be untoward in the average American household.

I suppose it depends on what you think is untoward in the average American household. Ok, say you're out at the movies w/ your kid and a dozen or two of their friends. One of the kids gets into a ruckus with your granddaughter's father and new girlfriend. Do you:

1. Tell the kid in your charge to behave themselves.
  2. Take the kids out of the theatre because things are getting out of hand.
  3. Enter the frey, fight like a banchee and then get the kids to corroborate your story so as to avoid charges.

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
--

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »
Hey, that was posted December 10, 2004. Here's more:

The Whitmore offers a unique solution for problem teens but it is by no means a not a panacea. It has a proven basic program that is augmented by spontaneous action and adaptive improvisation, an alien concept to most state agencies. Rather than trying to close down the Whitmore, the public would be better served by understanding the strengths of the program with a view to duplicating them elsewhere.

Was there something going on at Whitmore prior to that? Who's trying to close them down? Why?

Can anyone explain the "proven basic program that is augmented by spontaneous action and adaptive improvisation"? I'm not government, but this seems alien to me too. How, exactly, does it work?

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it.  That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.
-- In the August 1993 issue, page 9, of PS magazine, the Army's magazine of preventive maintenance

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »
anon: you referred to Struggling Teens website and a group of letters from parents supporting Cheryl and Mark Sudweeks.  These letters were written the first part of December. Do these parents know that since their postings that the Sudweeks have surrendered their license to have a treatment facility at the boys' home and at the Mansion location to the State of Utah?  So if these kids can not received treatment--what exactly is their money paying for?  Just school? And, academic schooling does not seem to be a top priority at Whitmore, so why not just have these children in private school at home and send them to a good therapist at HOME? And please do not forget, the criminal investigation is still in progress. That promblem has not simply gone away, either.  So right now it appears that all the Sudweeks have to offer the parents is some type of "school" with no provisions for therapy, and the only license they currently have is for a bed and breakfast. My  choice would be to take my child home and get them therapy at home where I know they are safe.  Then I would put them in a school where I knew they had qualified teachers and a curriculum that assured them of a quality education.  People need to wake up, take responsibility for their own kids, and talk to a few authorities and figure this deal out!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
In reference to the FIRST TESTIMONIAL:  I wanted to respond and give examples of happenings at Whitmore that I consider to be "untoward in the average American family."

- Most American families have toliets that allow one to place soiled toliet paper in the commode and flush it away.  At the Whitmore, soiled toilet paper can not be put in commodes, or they will overflow. So used toliet paper is put in un-lined trash cans, and is left there until the poor student, whose job it is to empty this mess comes around and hauls it away.

-Most American families with growing teenagers know that one bowl of cold cereal and a glass of water is NOT a wholesome, nutritious, adequate breakfast meal.  But this is what is often served at the Whitmore, and kids know better than to ask for seconds!

Most American parents and caregivers of teenagers know teenagers need at least 7-8 hours of sleep to function academically the next day. Kids at Whitmore are sleep deprived because Cheryl Sudweeks has marathon group sessions, some going until 2 to 3am, and then the kids are REQUIRED to begin listening to recorded subliminals at 5am.

Most American families want and desire harmony and peace in their family, and would never direct or encourage one child to physically attack another family member.  This happens at the Whitmore at the direction of Cheryl Sudweeks, and the ABUSER has no choice in the matter.  Everyone knows the one being abused certainly has no choice.

Most American families would seek professional help if they knew a teenager under their care was acting out sexually in a public place---like a teenage girl "giving a hand job" to a teenage boy in a movie theatre.  Once the adult in charge was aware of this behavior, a responsible adult would surely NOT SAY..."oh, well I can't take sex away from you guys, can I?"

These are just a few examples of things that have happened at Whitmore that I am certain the person giving the Testimonial must surely not be aware of.  The person needs to talk with the minor child he/she is reponsible for, and reconsider just what his/her teenager is being exposed to at Whitmore.

I am certain they are caring parents, and these type of things do not go on in their family.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »
Some of these testimonials are pretty far out there!

http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... 41209.html

The weekend was a wonderful experience as we were then allowed to take XXXXX with us for several days and actually have time away from the academy to speak with him about the Whitmore without monitoring. Not once did he ever indicate to us any type of physical or emotional abuse. In fact we even took another young man (XXXXX) with us for an overnight, and between XXXXX and (XXXXX), only good things were spoke about the academy. (XXXXX) was getting ready to graduate the program and also graduate from high school. He would be leaving within the next week and was already enrolled at a community college in his home time. What a success story.

Emphasis added

What's with the extra kid? If I went to visit my daughter after 8 months of not seeing her face, why would I want to waste precious time hanging out with some other kid?

Anybody who's been to Whitmore, can you explain why they'd send another kid to hang out w/ this family over the weekend and what would have happened to his chances of graduating the next week if anything but good things about the academy had been spoken of?

XXXXX made sure that he was in constant contact with Cheryl (not per our request) with him calling her every several hours to let her know where he was.

What's with that? Why would this kid feel compelled to check in w/ Cheryl while he's supposed to be off spending quality time w/ his parents?

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats---approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.
--Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2005, 05:12:00 PM »
Cheryl: http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/whi ... 41202.html

Let me ask you one thing that kind of sums up my feelings???. If your child that is here with us were being abused, do you not think that it could not be kept a secret?

Freudian slip?

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
--John Adams

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
hi this is chris, i posted awhile ago while still at whitmore. maybe i can clear up a few questions being brought up. About graduation... there really is no graduation. You stay for a period of one year, and then simply go home. Often times some kids parents cant make it... which is why other parents often invite other kids to come with them. i check back here every now and then so if i see questions i'll try to address them. I've been home since dec 22, and opted not to go back to whitmore till college. I stand by supporting the Sudweeks and hope that everything works out for them

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2005, 08:19:00 PM »
Welcome back Chris---I wondered why you quit posting.  Glad you are going to college and hope you do well.  Hope you have caught up from sleep deprivation, have had some good home-cooked meals, have not witnessed any abuse, and will have your mind ready for higher-learning.  Good luck!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
Chris, why do YOU think the Sudweeks volunteered to give up their license to have any type of treatment facility at the Whitmore?  That is what they have always said they are all about!  You were there.   You know that therapy a big part of the program.  What can be done there without therapy to help those kids now? They need more than just school classes.  And, Cheryl is not qualified, or even allowed now, to hold her little  group therapy sessions. Looks like you got out of there in the nick of time. Get on with your life, and leave the Sudweeks to their attorneys. Hopefully your conscience will kick in and your support will swing over to your fellow student that you saw abused there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2005, 12:46:00 PM »
i never saw anyone abused there, and I was there 24 hours a day. To be honest, they didnt really have many options as far as the license goes. I highly doubt anything will change as far as the structure of the groups, etc... They'll become 'meetings' and I think you'll still get what you pay for. I keep seeing all this talk of abuse. Who was abused? Name one person that Mark or Cheryl abused. Also, how can you prevent two kids in an open environment from fighting. Should a public high school be charged with child abuse each time a fight breaks out in the hallways? It is true that Casie punched Hannah in the face, it was a situation that occured, and we had group on Casie for it. Other then that, I dont see what all the fuss is about. ~ chris