Author Topic: Whitmore Academy in Utah?  (Read 72099 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Whitmore Academy in Utah?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »
On 2004-07-22 16:02:00, sk8kid511 wrote:

Kids love it at that place. Parents love their kids being there.

Then why aren't any real people posting truthfully to that effect? Why does someone have to pretend to be cheerful, grateful students and parents?

In a world of programs full of hate, misery, and abuse, can't there be a light in the darkness? Just accept goodness for what it is.

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

[Note my signature]

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another; shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2004, 11:20:00 PM »
You don't know that for certain. They could be letters from parents posted to prove their point and uphold the program's positive reputation. I have read your signature before, and that must've been awful. No one in the world deserves to go through that.
I do believe in your quote about the train, but I also believe that the light can also be a flicker of candlelight in a dark room. The candlelight is there for those to read their own manual to life, finding out who they really are, what kind of things they need to work on, and where their issues came from. It is near impossible to read the print in the darkness surrounding, so they must go to the light to see.
I'm not saying you have to believe me. I'm not going to even attempt to make anyone believe. I'm only speaking the truth and hoping for people to listen.
Antigen, I do wish you could look at the positive side of things and move on with your life. Not everything is bad. Some people get hit harder than others, but everyone can learn unconditional love and happiness. I've had my share of crap in my life, just like everyone else. Nobody has a perfect life, and I'm sure you know that just as well as we all do.
What I am trying to say is that life is how you look at it, not how it comes at you. There are always positive things no matter what situation you're in. If you choose to look at those positive things instead of focusing on the negative, you will live a much, much happier life. I used to focus on the negative. I used to hate so, so strongly and hold such a grudge against so many people. Now, I just look at the positive and I've learned unconditional love. Unconditional love means that no matter what happens, you will always love that person. It is seriously the strongest thing out there. Please, try to look at the positive. Hypothetical situation: There may be a tropical storm outside, the AC broken, no food in the fridge, no money, and no job, but you got your family beside you, a roof over your head, a cute little dog, and we need that rain.
No, I can't change the world by saying things like that. I'd like to think I'd at least change a few people, though, and maybe get a few more to just see it from that point of view. Please try it. Love is so much better than fear.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »
Well, it looks like a synanon, sounds like one, is reputed to be one. Can you show me some evidence to the contrary?

Even if these posts were made by seperate people (which is doubtful) why do they feel they have to be deceptive in pretending to talk to eachother in this forum? If there are so damned many happy campers, where the hell are they? And why can't you take at face value the viewpoints offered by some other posters (whom, btw, are not posting from the same computer [only takes me one click to find out]) and who tell a very different story?

For something that has spread with all the forethought of kudzu, the Internet isn't half bad."
-- Newsweek, 2/27/95

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »
Well, the program itself has changed since I have left there, but from what I hear it is still very unorganized. In fact I found out from my father this afternoon when we were discussing the buisness about the owners of the Whitmore Acedemy, he mentioned to me they had read what I wrote on this page earlier and sent my family an E-mail about it. My father had also read what i had written and agrees with everything I had said. My father is a very respectable man and also a very respectable doctor, and it also came out in the dicussion we had that they also owe my parents some money, a rather large sum, that has not been repayed in the last two years,I guess my family had payed them for a few months of me being there and then I had left the program and they had not been reimbursed. now like I mentioned earlier, I, and my family do not believe these people to be trustworthy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2004, 10:38:00 AM »
i got out of a program and it was hell and it was one of the better programs! so people who have your kid or kids in one take em out before it is to late.your kids may sound,look or act better but have you ever thought that mabey they have just learned to hide it better? you learn so much from others in a program u usually come out knowing more than you wish to.some programs if your kids know about drugs and the program travels get your kids to help em' smuggle drugs in and out of countries and state lines. ive seen this before.Some programs like the one i was in put you in a circle and if try to run they kick you,and beat you till u bleed.the staff allowed this and said it was fine as long as you dont kick em in the face! and some programs use some kind of "mind game" itll make your kid think different for a while till he snaps out.Some girls in things are raped. programs will even set u up with drugs and bribe the parents to give the Academy somthing in exchange for yo kid not to do some time!MY sugestion,witch no one has to listen to,is dont give up on anything cause if you do and somthing happens how are you going to live with it?to know your son/daughter was raped,beat,or  corrupted by a place YOU sent them!just plez be carefull!  :exclaim:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »
After reading this bullshit i'm suprised i havent destroyed this so called "wonderful" place the Whitmore Academy. Yeah i went through the so called "treatment" program, and let me just tell you, these are the most euphemistic people you will ever meet. I could go on forever about whats wrong with them and the place. If you're looking to brainwash the shit out of your child and throw fear and pain into their lives then go right the fuck ahead and send them to lovely little Utah. Those mother fucking HYPOCRITES OVER THERE Are just so concerned about having a "positive reputation" so they could continue intaking $,4000 A MONTH FOR SITTING AROUND ON THEIR LAZY ASSES AND BITCHIGN AND COMPLAINING ALL FUCKING DAY AND BEING THE DEMENTED LITTLE HYPOCRITES THAT THEY ARE oh ands BLASTING AND I MEAN BLASTING THE DEAR SHIT OUT OF THE FUCKING KIDS THAT ARE IN THAT PROGRAM , MAKING US UR LITTLE NIGGER SLAVES !!. HYPOCRITES ! the kids there.. brainwashed... The owners and staff, liars. sick. animal abusers. they all make me want to fucking puke all fucking over them ! FUCK! OH MY GOD I JUST SAID A "CUSSS" WORD AM I GANNA BURN IN HELL FOREVER IF I DONT "REPENT" WELL FUCK YOU THERE IS NO HELL AND THERE IS NO HEAVEN ! WHO PROVED THAT TO YOU ASSHOLES?! YOUR NOT PROMISED TO LAY ON CLOUDS N STRUM HARPS AFTER YOU DIE IF U LIVE A SHITTY DULL BORING LIFE. FUTALITY ! IGNORANCE ! and since you SCUMBAGS so strongly believe in karma, what the FUCK makes you think that you won't get the karma with the destructiion you've done to so many lives, including my own. i appreciate the accusations and abuse i got there i really fuckign do ! and GO AHEAD AND STAY IN DENIAL , BUT I'M SURE YOU KNOW DOWN IN THOSE BLACK HEARTS OF YOURS, THAT YOU'RE NOT EXACTLY RIGHT IN THE HEAD. YOU KNOCKED ME DOWN AND SPIT ON ME WHEN I WAS THERE BUT OH BABY AM I STRONGER NOW !! AHAHA. Fucking SCUM OF THE EARTH. YEAH SOUND FIRMILIAR?! SCUM OF THE EARTH !? Ugh you make me SICK ! just wait for your KARMA to come :smile:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2004, 08:00:00 PM »
I wonder if you guys could give a little detail?

Anon second post back. Why do you think the program you were in was one of the better ones? Let me tell you, at The Seed, they told them they were lucky not to be in Synanon. At Straight, we were to be grateful we weren't in The Seed. In Sarasota and St. Pete Straight branches, clients were told they were damned lucky they weren't in the other location, till Atlanta opened. And so on and so on until, if you call up SAFE, Orlando or Growing Together in Lake Worth, they'll go on and on about how entirely different they are since the name change (from Straight, Inc and LIFE, Inc, respectively.

It would be helpful if you could give some detail about what goes on there. Not just the over-the-top abuses that occure, but in what kind of day-to-day environment they occured.

What were the rules? How were they enforced? How did you get there? How long? How did you get out? How hard to you have to work to keep from getting sent back "on warranty"? Those kinds of things.

Do you support drug prohibition because it finances criminals at home or because it finances terrorists abroad?
--Anonymous

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »
I think you're right on.  These posts that are just too good to be true are from the industry!

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »
Five months without yet seeing your child?  And, you allow this?  Even prisons allow visitors.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »
This message is to the person who was at the whitmore and left there stuff up in canada and it hasnt been returned....i might know something about it and is ur name Nate?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2004, 09:01:00 AM »
You say no to send our children there. WHY?
Can anyone tell me about this place.  Do they use drugs? Do they medicate these kids, Can they call home anytime they want?  The web site has no info at all on it.  How come more boys than girls? Why is there only 30 plus kids?  What is the religous practice.  Do they force the mormon beliefs on these children?  PLEASE REPLY

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
My daughter is there right now.  Cheryl and
her family are wonderful people.

My daughter has turned around 100% - she is
cheerful, helpful, resourceful, and resiliant,
all of which she was not before she went.

All of the children there seemed to be
above average in terms of these qualities.
My wife and I spent the weekend there during
"Parents weekend", and if there was anything amis
I think that I would have been able to detect
it. One of the horses broke loose when I was
there earlier, because a train spooked it - one
of the kids confidantly walked up to the rearing
horse and calmed it down - I was really
impressed.

The school is a madhouse, though - there is so
much going on.  I found it very hard
to get information out of them when we were
looking at schools - communicating with the
parents is the absolute last priority, and you
really have to work hard to get information.
They are an A+ in terms of their ability to
deal with the students in a way that helps
the students grow - but a D- in their ability
to communicate enough to the parents to make
the parents comfortable.

I think that the thing that makes the school work
is that they turned their disorganization into
a strength - they delegate a lot to the students
and the students benefit as a result.

I dont think that there is any physical dicipline.
Mainly the school is held together by the
formidible personality of Cheryl.  The students
want to please her, so they work hard to get
positive feedback.  The students work from
5 in the morning until 10 at night - they
clean the whole house every day, clean out
their horse stalls, build fences, ride horses,
cook meals, etc.  I am really happy about the
work ethic and life skills that my daughter is
getting.

A particularly impressive part of the school
is the group therapy - whenever there is some
conflict among the students, they drop everything
and get to the bottom of it.  When I was there
I saw a group session on "who took the computer
charger", and it turned out that one of the
students was spreading rumors that another one
took it, but you could not find that out until
you got everyone together. (the charger turned
out to just have been lost).

Maybe I will find out some "horrible truth"
when my daughter gets back, but I doubt it.
She is doing absolutely fantastically at
the school - I wish that I sent her a couple
of years ago, we could have avoided a really
hard time, and I would have had more "good
years" with her before she left for college.

It is hard to send your child away
for a year, but I think that any fears
that you have will be gone if you go to
visit the school.  The magic of the school
is not really visible on the webpage, you
have to go there.

Cheers,

Eric

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2004, 08:09:00 AM »
Hi Eric. Thanks for posting. Could you please answer these questions and one or two of mine?

"You say no to send our children there. WHY?
Can anyone tell me about this place. Do they use drugs? Do they medicate these kids, Can they call home anytime they want? The web site has no info at all on it. How come more boys than girls? Why is there only 30 plus kids? What is the religous practice. Do they force the mormon beliefs on these children? PLEASE REPLY"

My questions: When I looked at the website (a long while ago) it seems to me that Whitmore was part of a small network of schools/programs. How does that work? Do the kids start out at one facility then move to another? Also, I remember reading something about "subliminals" as a daily requirement. What's that about?

If triangles had a God, He'd have three sides.
--Old Yiddish proverb

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2004, 02:22:00 PM »
"You say no to send our children there. WHY?

I wasn't the one that said that... I think
that it is a great place.

"Can anyone tell me about this place. Do they use drugs? Do they medicate these kids"

No, not on a regular basis, which is what
I think that you mean.  If they get sick,
I don't know what the policy is (antibiotics,
etc) - I imagine that they would call you
before any drugs are administered. There are
no narcotics or alchohol.

"Can they call home anytime they want?"

No - for the first month you have no phone
contact, because the kids have serious
homesickness.  After that you get weekly
emails from kids (via the administrators),
and you can call your child for 10 minutes on
Sundays (if they are not travelling, which
they do about 30% of the time).  The kids
also post a "weblog", where they evaluate
each other - and the kids don't pull any
punches ("so-and-so is not pulling his
weight, he is just lazy and needs to
get his attitude turned around", etc.).
The kids writing the weblogs are the ones
who have been there a while, and are the
group leaders.

"The web site has no info at all on it."

The web site is completely maintaned by
the kids.  The kids all have laptop computers
and run the website, and they also make the
slideshows and movies. There are two
websites http://www.whitmoreacademy.com and
http://www.whoamidiscovery.com.  The first one
is the good one - read the weblogs.

"How come more boys than girls?"

I didn't do a headcount, but I would guess
that it is the other way around (more girls
than boys).  Kids come and go every month -
so the balance changes all the time.  The
boys have their own house, and it is smaller
than the girls house.

"Why is there only 30 plus kids"

The school is run like a large family - I think
that there are about 40 kids, and more would
be too many.  If you go there you will understand,
it is a lovely madhouse.  More than 40 kids
would be too much.

"What is the religous practice. Do they force the mormon beliefs on these children? PLEASE REPLY"

The kids go to Mormon church, or they can opt
out and write an essay instead on some aspect
of any religion.  None of the kids opt for the
essay.

I am an athiest, and my wife is some kind of
new age faith healer, and neither of us are
uncomfortable with the level of religious
pressure.  Mark and Cheryl
would be very happy if the kids became mormons,
I am sure, but there are kids of all faiths
there, and it is certainly not some brainwashing
center.

My questions: When I looked at the website (a long while ago) it seems to me that Whitmore was part of a small network of schools/programs. How does that work? Do the kids start out at one facility then move to another?

No - the only association that I know of was
with the local "Landmark school" for the
academics, but I think that Whitmore has
been acredited so they don't do that anymore.

Also, I remember reading something about "subliminals" as a daily requirement. What's that about?

Subliminals are recordings of positive
messages like "you are great, a powerful
person in the world, blah blah blah".  They
kids put them on while they are getting
dressed, I think.  They gave me a tape to
listen to, but I didn't get a chance while
I was there because the rental car didn't have
a tape player.

Other stuff to know about the school -

The make the kids remove all non-positive
songs from their computers, and computer
audits are done often (my daugter had to
remove "living dead girl", for example).

There is a subtle "pre-women's lib" vibe
going on at the school about the differences
between men and women (the boys are given
harder work to do, although the girls work
much harder than is usual - and the girls
diets are kept under firm control, in order
to keep them from getting fat).  My daughter
has lost some weight there, and is happy about
it, but I didn't think she was overweight
before.

All of the kids seemed very healthy, as well
as physically sturdy and confident.

Horseback riding and travel are the two
primary focuses of activity.

They seem to eat quite a bit of junk food
on the road, but since they are physically
active for 16 hours a day, I am sure that
it does them no harm.

Once per year there is a parents weekend,
which was in Auguest.

You can visit whenever you like (probably not
in the first month or two, though).

Cheers,

Eric

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2004, 02:41:00 PM »
PS

I read over the previous 5 pages of postings,
and one from fiero1718 must be talking about
a different school - I just can't imagine it
being true about Whitmore.

The fellow that still has his stuff in
Canada - I can see that happening.  Attention
to details like picking up somebody's forgotten
stuff in Canada and sending it back could
easily be put on the back burner for a couple
of years.  They have 1000 things to do, and
only 900 get done - if you really need something
you have to be persistent.  This bothered me
more initially than it does now - if you send
them an email asking 10 questions, you will
get a very brief answer to one question.

The duplicate IP addresses are probably
the work of the students standing up for their
school.

The fellow who did the post about "N* slaves"
seems kind of disturbed - I think the post
reveals more about him than about Whitmore.
The grains of truth there are that the
children work *very* hard, and there is a
constant (but loving) pressure to behave well,
learn, and grow.

Social pressure is very strong at the
school, both from above and peer pressure.
I think that this is what makes the school
work with no physical dicipline.

Cheers,

Eric