Author Topic: A letter and story from an old friend  (Read 935 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
A letter and story from an old friend
« on: February 16, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »
I remember this guy's name, but can't really remember his face (yet?) Another one who broke free. Another happy ending in the midst of so much tragedy.
Hi Ginger,
I had a little time this weekend and jotted down my story (the readers digest version) feel free to post it if you want but delete my last name. Glad to hear all is well with you. Hope we can keep in touch.

Take Care

Todd *****

Straight Incorporated, Sarasota Florida
                     1401 Cattleman Road
                                My Story
By Todd ********, Straight Inc. survivor  81-82

Man when I think back it seems like only yesterday at times sitting in the "Carpet Room" during a guys rap. The doors would be open, warm day out breeze blowing And I am stuck in this god forsaken smelly room   with a bunch kids just like me whose parents thought they were helping their "Druggie Kid ".

I don't even remember what day of the week it was or the exact date for that matter. But I remember being woke up by my mother late for school. I thought that was strange. They had mentioned this place called Straight before, a kid I knew from school Kurt Creaumer had been sent there. His father had talked to my mom and stepfather about it. At the time they were radical born again Christians ready for the taking to be brainwashed by a bunch of Holier than though radicals as they were in their religion.  A few weeks earlier I had smoked some pot with a friend and came home high, well my mom noticed and like any concerned and caring parent freaked out. Not much was said after that until a few weeks later on that morning. She said that she and my stepfather wanted to take me up to Sarasota to talk to these people, it was strictly voluntary. So as a 15 year old I thought ?.hey a day out of school, I will go listen to their crap refuse and on my way home,  Parents off my back and off to a Beach Boys concert in Ft Meyers that night with my girlfriend. Wrong!!!!! When I got there I was led into the intake room, sat there for a few minutes and in walked two other kids?.and almost immediately one was in my face calling me a druggie, said I was there to stay and that I was going no where. Long story short??it took about 11 hours and I caved and signed the papers. Like it would have mattered anyway.

I remember sitting their in these rap sessions that would go on for hours, these kids some of them not even teenagers standing up talking about being prostitutes, having Unnatural sexual relations?incest etc. They all had a list of drugs they did that was a mile long, stuff I had never heard of. So after several long weeks listening to this load of crap, I finally caught on?make up shit, make it sound bad and tell them you felt awful about it, cry if you can. Yeah that's right I had smoked pot more than 10 times and did amphetamines once. But after thirty days there I had a list as long as the rest, was suicidal and a full-blown alcoholic and on my way to earning talk and responsibilities, enroute to second phase. One thing you learned how to do in Straight was lie, and con.  In Straight hey always said you can't con a con, but that's what happened there every day when some kid spilled a load of crap and everyone believed him?. say your piece, the group say's LOVE YA TODD and then you have a seat and think up another story. Then there were the kids who would run away and not conform, they were yelled at, sometimes beaten and would be sat on. Sat on by five other kids, laid on there stomach, one kid on their back one on each arm and leg, this would go on for hours and was painful as hell, I had first hand experience of this punishment after the first time I ran and was brought back. Some counselors would take kids into the time out room alone, a lot of banging around would go on and every now and then a kid would come out with a bloody nose or a limp. You would be denied bathroom privileges until you couldn't stand it anymore, denied basic necessities like water it was abusive and it was wrong!

I was in straight approximately 14 months, I advanced the first time to 4th phase and ran and was brought back. The second time I made it to 3rd, phase, again I ran I was sick of the imprisonment, mental anguish and the denial of things most of us take for granted, food water and a good night sleep. The third and final time I made it to second phase of the program, I had planned it from the last time I got caught, what I was going to do. I stashed money for my next trip home, after 35 days back I started playing the games again as a program conformist and a good little "Straightling" as the staff affectionately referred us to as if we were their pet play toys of some crazy shit like that. When I made it to second phase, I had my first weekend trip home to Ft Meyers where my mom and stepfather had moved from Naples. By this time they as most parents listened always intently to the staff and had me court ordered at their request, thus sealing that monthly payment to Straight for my treatment.

I climbed out of my bedroom window that night, after telling my mom I was going to go write my morale inventory and go to bed, god I hated writing those things. I hitch hiked to Naples to a friend's house, he hid me out, I remember my stepfather coming to the door with some staff members early in the morning looking for me. Fortunately his mother had compassion, covered for me and even called one of her friends in New Jersey to see if I could stay with them. The next day I was on my way to West Palm Beach on a plane and off to Jersey. I stayed there for about a month or two until I contacted my father in Illinois, I still did not know if I could even trust him, at the time it seemed nobody that was supposed to love me wanted me around unless it was in Straight. But I did and he came through. They attempted to extradite me back to Florida, from Illinois due to the court order. They next day my father and I left for Ft Meyers, he had hired attorneys in Illinois and Florida to get me out. When we got there I had to report to JDC in Ft Meyers, I was only there about 3-4 hours but at 16 years old it seemed like an eternity, I was there with kids that were in for murder, arson, rape and grand theft auto. My crime?I ran away from home. We were there a few weeks, a few court dates, I had to be evaluated by a battery of shrinks for court, but in the end I was on my way home with my father. I remember seeing the Sarasota Straight Building from the highway as we left Florida and even then it sent a chill down my spine.

Where I am now?well I had missed so much school I was too far behind to go back, I am sure most kids from straight ended up with GED's after it was said and done. I went in the Army; I proudly served in Alaska and Korea 2nd, 7th, 9th Infantry Divisions and the 172nd Infantry Brigade, held a Top Secret DOD security clearance. I served six years, I was married for 16 and currently divorced but have a very special lady in my life that I live with and am very much in love. I have a son who is a Junior, starting tail back and D back on the Varsity football team and Honor student. I have a daughter who is a Freshman, Honor roll, Key Club and Student Council?. yes I am a very proud father and happy individual. I have a fulfilling career as a Sr. Network Engineer for a wireless communications company where I have been for the past 12 years.

It's a shame that places like Straight are and were aloud to exist and even more so that the founders, Mel and Betty Sembler and a few others are powerful people of influence in the Republican Party and on Capitol Hill.

Anyway that is my story, a lot of things from that time in my life are a little cloudy some are like yester day. Throughout the years from time to time I felt like I existed in my own private hell, because I didn't think anyone could understand all the crap I had went through but I think I am a more compassionate and stronger parent for it all I guess. I only hope that the people I remember from Straight found their way in life, I know that some didn't and gave up by suicide from the experience.  I guess I have noticed over the years thoughts of my imprisonment in Straight from time to time have come back to haunt me and this I guess is my way of putting it somewhat behind me.

I'm glad to find you made it, Todd. Forgiveness is devine. Forgetfulness is just a mental dysfunction.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
--Thomas Paine

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »
his story made me remember lots of my own life during and after straight, and the ending made me smile.  Thanks Ginger.

Offline thepatriot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 01:06:00 AM »
Ginger,
All these memories keep comming back. I do remmebr when they marathoned Bobby Ruggles, I remember the look in his face after it had gone on for a few days....how sad. Bobby and I were newcomers together a few times. We are all vicitms of Straight and the twisted ways they abused us. Bobby just seems to stand out as one of the biggest tragedies of Sarasota Straight , I just wonder what ever happened to him,.....I hope he made it ok.

Todd
arasota Straight Escapee