Author Topic: Pulitzer Prize Writer Looking For Book Title Suggestions  (Read 858 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Pulitzer Prize Writer Looking For Book Title Suggestions
« on: February 17, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »
Wanna help this author name his book about residential treatment to be released sometime in the near future?  Apparently the guy is sponsoring a contest through the Lon Woodbury website which is predominately pro-program-pro-parent. Guess he hasn't heard of Fornits where alumni of places like Swift River Academy (the TBS where he did his research) are far more likely to be found.

http://strugglingteens.com/news/marcuscontest.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »
Oops, it's The Academy at Swift River (ASR) where the guy did his research. Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:14:00 AM »
Sanity Interrupted.  
Abuse, American Style
Locked Boarding Schools: America's Dumping Ground for Non-Compliant Teens

:smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 11:00:00 AM »
Hmm, couldn't resist the tongue-in-cheek response but it looks like ASR is a therapeutic boarding school, not one of these locked behavior modification facilities where therapy is either not available or only available at an additional charge. Don't know anything about the school so I'm planning to read the book.  Should be very interesting given the growing interest in TBS's which I presume are geared specifically for kids struggling with more severe emotional or mental health difficulties.  Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this school?  I'm curious what they think about the place.
 :smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »
No, Anon.  It seems your first instinct was correct:

http://http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=2826&forum=9&26

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »
On 2004-02-18 08:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hmm, couldn't resist the tongue-in-cheek response but it looks like ASR is a therapeutic boarding school, not one of these locked behavior modification facilities where therapy is either not available or only available at an additional charge. Don't know anything about the school so I'm planning to read the book.  Should be very interesting given the growing interest in TBS's which I presume are geared specifically for kids struggling with more severe emotional or mental health difficulties.  Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this school?  I'm curious what they think about the place.

:smokin: "

ASR starts with a wilderness program, appears to operate with at least something akin to the "level" system, and does not allow inmates to receive mail from friends (*at least* for the first few months)--no matter how "clean" the friends or how harmless the mail.

I know of someone who's been there since last Summer and there's no indication that she's getting mail yet.  To my knowledge, nobody has gotten return mail from her.

ASR also ships the kids to Costa Rica for a mandatory trip prior to graduation.

Also, this student was lied to to get her there "voluntarily"---she was not told until the night she arrived that she would be unable to send and receive mail to friends---and these are NOT drug abusing friends.

Since they operate on a rotating arrival basis (they'll accept new inmates any time of year), and they're in Massachusetts, and inmates always start with a wilderness phase, that means a teenager could find herself forcibly camping out in New England in the dead of winter.

Also note that teens are scheduled every minute of every day from lights on to lights out.

I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.  I'm certainly not!  But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!  
-- Monty Python