Author Topic: New CEDU-Ascent spin-off ?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
New CEDU-Ascent spin-off ?
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:55:14 AM »
Paulu reported that he had found something called Freedom Mountain Academy.

While it looked like a normal wilderness therapy program, we discovered the fiction they are reading.

I was given a book by Kahlil Gibran to read called, The Prophet. I was reading this book because I was going through some stuff that was life changing.
I have heard about this book before in relationship with CEDU.

Is this wilderness program a CEDU spin-off?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: New CEDU-Ascent spin-off ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 10:29:14 PM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
Is this wilderness program a CEDU spin-off?

Not exactly, but sorta... It's forerunner used to occupy the same piece of property that later became Rocky Mountain Academy.

• Keven and Patricia Cullinane operated the Academy of the Rockies in the 1970s. That property was later sold to CEDU and became RMA.
• The Cullinanes' next school venture was a collaboration with a Ms. Carden in California, resulting in a small cluster of closely linked schools with the name of Carden Academy of Basic Education.
• Freedom Mountain Academy is allegedly very similar to or essentially the same as the original Academy of the Rockies.

From the Struggling Teens site, color emphasis mine:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

New Perspectives  - Sept, 2000 Issue #73

Freedom Mountain Academy
Mountain City, Tennessee
Keven Cullinane
423-727-4905

Keven and Patricia Cullinane are announcing the opening of a new program, Freedom Mountain Academy (FMA). In some ways FMA is built on the foundation of their earlier school, called The Academy of the Rockies, which they operated for ten years during the 1970s. Actually, FMA's main lodge has been built in large part by volunteer labor cheerfully supplied by alumni of the Academy of the Rockies. When the Cullinanes sold the Academy of the Rockies, the property was developed into CEDU's Rocky Mountain Academy, in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Keven and Patricia later helped develop the Carden Academy of Basic Education, in California, which is currently operating quite successfully.

Now the Cullinanes are ready to open Freedom Mountain Academy, as a work/study/adventure program, whose primary mission is to "vigorously exercise our inherent powers of reflective thinking. A close second mission is to induce within students a profound sense of awe for the intricate miracle of life; an awe-struck love for our endowment of human time, intelligence, and energy; and a deep commitment to avoid human actions which degrade one's Creator-endowed gifts, and to employ them instead by participation in God's evolving development of refined human nature. The resultant strengthening of self-respect arising from this participation further enhances a student's ability to resist the temptation to compromise principles in the pursuit of peer group popularity."

The work/study/adventure program basically involves almost five hours of study each day, with the first class beginning at 6:15AM. The classes are interspersed with meals and chores. The students will also do about four hours of farm work, which includes building fences, sheds, etc., farm maintenance, care and feeding of livestock, woodlot management, and gardening, as well as a variety of chores. To complete the mountaineering adventure part of the curriculum, students spend a total of fifty days (5-7 days per month) in the mountains receiving instruction in terrain navigation (how to navigate the hills with or without map and compass), wilderness survival, campfire cookery, field first aid, and mountain search-and-rescue. When they are not "in the hills," their academic program will be conducted six days a week.

Students will be able to attend Freedom Mountain Academy for only one year, so they feel it is important to choose the most appropriate time to attend. They believe "maturity is a state of mind and definitely not a particular age, so students will range from high school sophomores to an occasional college sophomore (a mature 14 to age 20)." They observed that although students of all ages enjoyed the Academy of the Rockies, "the older students generally showed a greater understanding and appreciation of its unique academic program." Freedom Mountain Academy is located within the beautiful Appalachian Mountains, a few miles east of the Great Smokies portion of the Appalachian Trail, and a few miles east of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

They are currently appealing to alumni and friends of the Academy of the Rockies to help them find "a select group of seven to ten students for our first year. For this group we are scaling back our annual tuition… In order to qualify for this substantial reduction, a student must be mature, able to socialize easily, possess a good work ethic and have a sincere desire to come to a school with our specific program. These students will serve as our ‘pilot class' as we search out suitable expedition routes and camp sites for subsequent classes, and in other ways adapt the "work/study/adventure" curriculum and methods of Academy of the Rockies to Freedom Mountain Academy….We believe the inspiring example of AR alumni from across the country donating time to help build an academy like the one from which they head benefited, speaks well of the FMA advantages awaiting today's teenagers."

Copyright © 2000, Woodbury Reports, Inc.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »
More:

FREEDOM MOUNTAIN ACADEMY (FMA) OFFERS TRANSITION YEAR
(Summer, 2002) Freedom Mountain Academy, Mountain City, Tennessee, 423-727-4905, Kevin and Patricia Cullinane, co-founders, is a small, family-run, non-denominational, coed boarding school that combines academics with farm work and mountaineering adventure. They are offering a one-year program for twenty high school and post high school age coeds to learn how to transition from more structured residential programs or family homes to an independent lifestyle.

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

From Lon's "Directory of Resources from Advertisers":

Freedom Mountain Academy (Co-ed)

Patricia Cullinane
423-727-4905
519 Shingletown Road
Mountain City, TN 37683
[email protected]

Emotional Growth

We built Freedom Mountain Academy (FMA) and established our unique Work/Study/Adventure curriculum to allow all of our students numerous opportunities to prove themselves to be worthy, productive people, both in and out of the classroom.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:46:26 PM »
waitaminnit, I'm confusticated. In the second post, it says non-denominational, but the first post goes on about all this god shit. So which the fuck is it?

Regardless, it sounds like pure misery.

Strength through joy vacation, to be sure.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »
I have been digging a little further. It seems that one of the founders former jobs were as owner of "Academy of the Rockies". They sold it to Wasserman, who renamed it to Rocky Mountain Academy.

I have found a number of old articles and they are now on our datasheet.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
I have been digging a little further. It seems that one of the founders former jobs were as owner of "Academy of the Rockies". They sold it to Wasserman, who renamed it to Rocky Mountain Academy.

Yep. See first paragraph of the New Perspectives piece (above):

Keven and Patricia Cullinane are announcing the opening of a new program, Freedom Mountain Academy (FMA). In some ways FMA is built on the foundation of their earlier school, called The Academy of the Rockies, which they operated for ten years during the 1970s. Actually, FMA's main lodge has been built in large part by volunteer labor cheerfully supplied by alumni of the Academy of the Rockies. When the Cullinanes sold the Academy of the Rockies, the property was developed into CEDU's Rocky Mountain Academy, in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Keven and Patricia later helped develop the Carden Academy of Basic Education, in California, which is currently operating quite successfully.[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: Freedom Mountain Academy
    « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:52:27 PM »
    Visit Reports
    Posted: Jun 8, 2009

FREEDOM MOUNTAIN ACADEMY

Mountain City, TN
    Kevin & Patricia Cullinane
    423-727-4905
    http://www.freedommountainacademy.com

Visit by Nancy Coulbourn Ike, MEd, CEP, April 27, 2009

I drove six hours from Cincinnati to Mountain City in eastern TN to visit Freedom Mountain Academy, a school that sounded so different from any boarding school I had ever seen. And it was different. FMA is tucked into a valley, a beautiful lodge designed and built by the Cullinane family which is surrounded by a farm that sustains the staff and students at the school. The students plant and maintain a garden, help feed and care for the farm animals, share cooking and cleaning at the lodge, take part in 5 ½ hours of academics 5 days a week, 4 hours on Saturday and participate in a four day expedition in the mountains once a month.

Kevin and Patricia Cullinane headed schools in northern Idaho and Sothern California and taught at Executive Training Seminars in South Caroline. In 2000 the Cullianes founded Freedom Mountain Academy. The school is equipped to house 20 students each in a single occupant room. The boys' dorm is entirely separate from that of the girls. There is no electricity in the dorms or schoolhouse. Light is provided by kerosene lamps. Meals are cooked on a beautiful old wood fired stove.

Students study in the mode of a one room schoolhouse. There are no computers or television but videos are shown on the weekend. Emphasis is placed on literature, ethics, composition and history. Students read Romeo and Juliet, The Fountainhead, 1984 and other classics. In history they study the nineteen civilizations that led up to the current one. Much time is spent on the etymology of the English language and students learn to be precise in the use of their language. Math is individualized with packets of material from the University of Missouri. Science is studied in the classroom and kitchen as Nutrition or in the out of doors during the mountaineering.

FMA is a nine month program and almost all students attend for just one year. Their ages range from 15 to 17, and they either return home to finish high school or go on to college.

Freedom Mountain Academy is not a therapeutic program. It is a highly structured but nurturing alternative school for students who are flexible and open for change. If students have been prescribed a medication for ADHD, the Cullinanes ask parents to try the school without the meds. A therapist is available in Mountain City and the Academy has a good relationship with a physician there. Excellent hospital facilities are found in nearby Johnson City.

FMA will share a list of alumni parents who are willing to talk with or email the parents of prospective parents.

Copyright © 2009, Woodbury Reports, Inc.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 02:12:09 AM »
    Ive always been curious to the nature of Academy of the Rockies, as I could never ascertain if it was part of the troubled teen industry or not.

20 students each in a single occupant room

What???  :eek:  Are they stacked like cordwood?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 02:03:03 AM »
    It seems that it is a place where you can be sent to if you are in doubt which gender you should choose for a life partner.

D.C. 16-year-old who vanished during a hike in Tenn. is found alive and safe
    by Michael Rosenwald, The Washington Post, November 17 - 2015

Authorities in the Tennessee mountains found a District teenager alive and well Tuesday after she went missing last week on a group hike through a national forest with her school.

Ava Zechiel, 16, was on a rugged trail when she vanished about 2:30 p.m. Nov. 11. Ground and air searches by the Johnson County sheriff and the FBI turned up no clues of her whereabouts, frustrating and frightening her family and friends.

But the search continued, and Zechiel was found somewhere in the woods around lunchtime Tuesday, according to her relieved father, Howard Zechiel, who was in Tennessee.

“She was found by the search teams in good health,” he said, adding that she was on her way to the county fire station.

A little while later, her mother posted on Facebook that her daughter couldn’t walk and was being carried out of the woods. However, she was “healthy enough” to see her parents before being taken to a hospital.

“You can’t imagine my joy,” she wrote.

Johnson County Sheriff Mike Reece did not immediately return a request for comment.

Zechiel, a former student at Wilson High School in the District, attends Freedom Mountain Academy in Mountain City. It bills itself as “a rare alternative boarding school with a focus on providing a comprehensive program that combines academic study, farm work and wilderness adventure.”

Zechiel’s father would not comment on the circumstances of his daughter’s disappearance, but Dan Cullinane, a staff member at the school, told The Washington Post that she ran away after refusing to hike any farther.

Staff members on the hike began a search and called 911, Cullinane said. The group was about two miles from the nearest town and even closer to roads when Zechiel vanished.

Her friends and family started a Facebook group called “Help Us Find Ava Zechiel.” A flier posted by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children was also distributed, saying that Zechiel may be in need of medical attention.

“Praying this is the day Ava is found,” the Facebook group posted Monday, “as the search continues this morning.”

This was not Zechiel’s first hike.

A few days before she went missing, Zechiel wrote a blog post on the school’s Web site about an earlier trek. (The site is down, but a cached version is available.)

Nothing appeared to be amiss.

“Coming from a large city to a farm in Northeast Tennessee was a shock to my system and so was my first expedition,” she wrote, adding, “Hiking has never been my forte.”

She said the hike lasted six days and included “descending a rocky trail and a visit to a small plane crash site.”

“Although my first expedition was one of the hardest things I have ever done, I can already see that it has helped. . . . ” she wrote. “For one, I have become a lot more confident in my abilities, and I feel happier for having pushed myself through hard times successfully.”