Author Topic: Earth Services / The House Next Door  (Read 15906 times)

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
Re: Earth Services / The House Next Door
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
I guess the judge wasn't happy with all of the hoopla.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Terpening to face trial for 12 assaults" 1
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Terpening to face trial for 12 assaults" (by Ken Kolker, 12 Sep/25 Oct 2011, WOOD-TV8), #s 1-20:

Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 7:28am
    what will ol' Susanna do now that she has been kicked out of the court room?
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 7:50am
    LOL, well she has commented on her own little blog about this case. Interesting to say the least.

http://www.redgage.com/blogs/sweetsusie ... eForwarder

She also comments about me and has a great picture of me. I am not sure how she got it...LOL

http://www.redgage.com/c-mjghcd

I am not a fan of closing court rooms, but for the sake of the preliminary hearing, this seems fair. These young people have to testify and the judge has to decide if the case goes to the Circuit Court; and we've seen here on WOOD just how far one of his, "supporters" will go when challenged.[/list]
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 8:08am
    I am for closing court rooms to the public for the purpose of protecting the identity of victims in cases such as this one
    may I ask you Guest Checks, is that Revlon concealer that you use?
Mike Boerman · Top Commenter · Langston, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 8:39am
    Guest Checks - you really need to let it go lady, why are you so obsessed with your fellow comment posters? What, just because someone dared disagree with you, now you'll bring it up ad nauseum for the next 6 months? Just because someone defended their OWN defense of a friend (which you would do too if the situation was reversed, no?) means that you have the beat the subject into the ground until everyone's sick of hearing about it? Please try to keep your comments here related to the NEWS STORY itself, not your own petty vendettas against people who disagree with you, mmmmkay?
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 8:50am
    I would have to say that its Susan who has beat this subject into the ground with her constant blogs; with these boys' history, Mr. Terpening should have used a little more caution and not had situations where he was alone with the boys, and still, the investigation must have found some sort of common ground with the boys' accusations, whether it was a place he took them to, a phrase he used, or something, where they found the accusations to be true
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 9:12am
    Pete you noticed! I only use Revlon! LOL

I've worked with victims of sexual assault and I generally think it is better to put victims on the stand. I even think it is better to force them on the stand. Usually what we see is this empowers the, "victims" and begins a process of removing the victim stigma.

Sadly, it will also result in fewer repeat offenses. Too often prosecutors make deals that give too little time to people who are incredibly dangerous.

Facebook User, let's just say Susan is a family member of Mr. Terpening who came here and really did attack people who disagreed with her. She was stunningly abusive in her behavior. Then after she was shown up for what she is, she deleted all her comments.

I think it is very relevant to this case because we really get a look at the character of a man who led a community grou...See More
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 9:41am
    I'm not against victims being on the stand, I just don't believe it needs to be done in front of the general public, since one has to give their name, etc and we can see from Susan's actions how that could harm a victim.
    I wonder how Susan feels about all the other youth pastors, teachers, etc in the news in recent weeks who have been accused of molesting children, are all of those cases witch hunts too?
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 9:47am
    in regards to Susan's claim that Mr. Terpening's family members aren't allowed to have him at their residence, that isn't surprising, because some of them may be potential witnesses and its pretty standard procedure for a defendant to be ordered to not have contact with any potential witnesses
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 10:07am
    was this a witch hunt too:

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/ke ... st-26-2011

let me guess, the one victim, now in his thirtys decided after all these years to make this up?[/list]
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 10:34am
    Actually in Court victims are always identified. The media does not report their names. I think your point about Susan and her ilk does rightly point out a value in this hearing to close it. This hearing is limited to deciding whether or not there is enough to take the case to the Circuit Court for trial. Susan and her friends have already attacked the young people reporting these crimes. Sadly they will come under attack at trial, so it is wise to protect them now.

Not sure that is so good at trial, I do think the public needs to know exactly what happened here. It think, while surely traumatic, these young men win when they stand up for justice.

The numbers we learned in trainings always stunned me. 1 in 5 boys and 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused by the age of 18. 80% of the kids in court custody have been sexually abused....See More
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 10:54am
    yes, victims are identified, but it is not uncommon for this type of case, along with rape cases, to be closed to the public, and have the case file "sealed" from being able to be viewed by the public, especially when the case involves a minor
    it appears that Mrs. Terpening is under her husband's "spell," thats what I gathered from reading the Hastings Banner news report (they gave alot more information than WOOD); what the heck was she thinking when suggesting that a "family member" or "friend" be a supervisory person for at home visits when it was a "friend" who suposedly put the youtube video out there and a "friend" or "family member" who has publicly accused the DHS of being on a witch hunt?
    I hope my next comment isn't taken the wrong way, but what better victim for a predator to choose than one with a history of "lying"
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 10:58am
    A judge banned the public from a preliminary hearing on Monday for a former youth home director charged with sexually assaulting four clients.
    Then in the afternoon, the judge placed one of the witnesses in the case into protective custody because of pressure he's been receiving.
    I wonder who has been "pressuring" one of the witnesses; again, it sounds like friends/relatives of the Terpening's aren't really helping him
Kate Juneau · Fayetteville Technical CC · September 12, 2011 at 11:48am
    Don't you just LOVE how no matter how many victims are coming forward, they all MUST be lying? For crying out loud, what has to happen for people to see that this man is as dirty as they come? These supporters of his make me sick.
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 12:02pm
    don't you understand Kate, the four boys got together one day and, of all the workers at the homes that Mr. Terpening ran, they chose him to plot this accusation against; they haven't quite conviced the fifth boy to join them yet, but they're working on it; and, they probably bribed the DHS some how into believing them and bringing the charges
Suzanne Gillihan · Works at Proud Stay At Home Mommy · September 12, 2011 at 12:34pm
    Guest Checks,

Susan did not come on here to attack you or anybody else that does not support Michael Terpening. It does however bother her that you and other people do not know all of the facts of this case and pretend that you do. And for her deleting all of her comments, that's because you were turning this whole thing around. This is supposed to be about Michael, it's not so you can come on here and attack her for her writings. Yes, she wrote many things on another site, yes one of them was about a witch hunt, but does that mean that it was about Michael? No, it does not. This is supposed to be a page about Michael, like I stated before, not somewhere for you to copy and paste her writings and post them on here. Obviously you have forgotten what this page is for.

And for the one's who don't have all the facts, maybe you should get them before you start posting stuff that you obviously know nothing about!
Sarah Blanton · Wright Beauty Academy · September 12, 2011 at 1:58pm
    I used to be in one of his programs in Battle Creek about 8 years ago, along with a few other friends. We're all baffled by this, he was always so nice and even helped us shy kids to come out of our shell. He did another program kind of like Big Brother with my little brother as well, and my brother always looked forward to it. It was a one on one thing where he came and picked him up every week and he never tried anything with him either. I'm not saying the boys are lying, I'm just trying to point out that those of us who ACTUALLY knew him aren't delusional.
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 2:37pm
    Sarah, predators tend to go after very specific groups and keep in mind people are not wholly evil. He can be very good with some people and not so good with others.
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 2:48pm
    LOL. those of you who claim to ACTUALLY know him, ACTUALLY appear to not know him at all. of course he alwasys seemed so nice, do people ACTUALLY think a child molester gains the trust of people by being mean? do you think they wear signs that say, "hi, I'm a child molester"?
    maybe your "brother" just isn't willing to admit to things yet Sarah
    Mr. Terpening, in today's day and age, should have known better than to put himself in a situation of being alone with any of these boys with their troubled pasts, thats really a no-brainer, and surely, with all of the family and friends he seems to have supporting him, it shouldn't have been that difficult to find someone to "supervise" his time with these kids
    you want "facts" Suzanne?
    FACT: allegations surfaced in May but charges not brought until three months later, so this is obviousl...See More
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 2:54pm
    Suzanne, I cannot speak to why Susan came to the website. However she did attack.

I have never said I know any facts. Most of my comments center around the people around Mr. Terpening.

I have mentioned concerns about his wife and Susan. With his wife my concerns center around comments a lawyer made in court. With Susan her puzzling behavior here and on her blog raised concerns for me about the people around Mr. Terpening.

In the case of Mrs. Terpening, keep in mind he has been found responsible for child sexual abuse. This would not change if he was found not guilty of the criminal charges. Sadly, the mother has some tough choices and DHS is looking for her to make those choices. Susan re-framed this as the divorce Mr. Terpening or else demand from the prosecutor. He is a child abuser, he is in the Child Abuse Registry and ...See More
Sarah Blanton · Wright Beauty Academy · September 12, 2011 at 4:47pm
    Like I said, I was just trying to show where those of us who knew him were coming from. Some of you act like we're a bunch of idiots, while I never even said he never did it. My brother tells me everything, including a past sexual abuse. So why keep this one from me? A lot of the people I know from the group were also boys that were baffled. I know child molesters have to be nice to catch their pray, that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be shocked. I also understand that he isn't going to molest every boy he gets in his grips, b/c as I've said we're not idiots; just making a point.

All content (c) Copyright 2000 - 2012 WOOD Television, Inc.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Terpening to face trial for 12 assaults" 2
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Terpening to face trial for 12 assaults" (by Ken Kolker, 12 Sep/25 Oct 2011, WOOD-TV8), #s 21-40:

Holly Throop · Kellogg Community College · September 12, 2011 at 5:06pm
    I don't know anyone involved with these charges. I am basing my opinion on what I see. I am glad the Judge cleared the court room, on these type of charges I feel only the people involved should hear what needs to be said. The police have to investigate the abuse charges. Child molesters don't tell people as they are ashamed of what they have done. What kind of world would it be if we just ignored a child because of the circumstances. Sad to think a child had to be put in protective custody. Unfortunately nobody wins.
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 5:09pm
    I would not go as far as Pete has gone in his response to you. I am not ready to find the man guilty, at all.

For the public to put this together, I think we really need to look deeper. Sarah, you have some great information and it should be shared. Let's pull in all the information we can so this can be fully understood.

Some of what has bothered me are these people supporting Mr.Terpening. Did your brother know these people? What was their involvement with the programs? In particular the Gillihan's? Do you know his wife? How do you or your brother feel about what was written in the Hastings Banner about her appearing not stepping up for the 8 kids?

Susan put posts on this forum, before she deleted them that seem to suggest she had case specific information about the kids placed in Mr. Terpening's care. Do you or your brother have an opinion about these people who may have had legally confidential information about your brother or you?

I'd like to hear more on what you observed.

http://hastingsbanner.com/terpening-den ... 934-87.htm

http://www.redgage.com/blogs/sweetsusie ... eForwarder

I am puzzled by the character of those around this man. What do you think?[/list]
Amanda Alfred · September 12, 2011 at 6:24pm
    What in gods name is wrong with that court house that the victims have to walk in through the hallway?!?! Listening to that nasty lady say "liar" to the poor kid and stick her tongue out - you all ought to be absolutely ashamed of your behavior!!!!!
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 7:06pm
    Amanda gets it right. It really comes back to the concerns I've raised all along. Who is this guy? This is a man who is a leader of child welfare in the community? I know people in the field and this group of people around Mr. Terpening is beyond stunning.

I mean, are you kidding me? These people admit on camera they've been in contact with the victims?

Then one has to wonder what in the world is going on with his lawyer? Hasn't he told his client to shut these people up? Did I actually see one of these people on TV admitting to being in contact with one of the victims?

There is no way the acting out we've seen on this forum, the acting out in public, the youtube postings, the witch hunt blog can possibly help the man's defense.

But still when you look at the character of these people, do you really think a man who is a lea...See More
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 7:20pm
    Sarah, I'm sure the shock part is what has Mr. Terpening the supporters that he has
    Amanda, that goes with what Guest Checks has been saying, this is the type of people supporting Mr. Terpening, and when they act that way, it makes these allegations look even further believable; the great aunt sticking her tongue out and such, she has to be around seventy years of age; if I was that judge, I would have anyone who acts in that manner arrested for intimidating a witness
    yes Guest Checks, this guy wanted that type of people around him because they're obviously too stupid to have figured anything out
    I too couldn't believe that someone contacted one of the victims, and the way these people act, of course it looks like the victim was coerced into saying that he was lying; that person wasn't an investigator on the case
    I have no doubt that the guy will get a fair trial, nor do I have any doubt that he'll be found guilty
Tammy Hansen · Handy-woman, at this time at Carpentry · September 12, 2011 at 7:31pm
    IF he didn't do it...he's in the wrong county to prove otherwise...Barry county is a hanging county, even without full proof....BUT, if he did...they will make sure he does his time! IF this is the Terpining from my home town, then I doubt very much that he did it...but then again...no one truley knows their neighbor...
Teia Nicole · Nurse Aide at Comfort Keepers · September 12, 2011 at 7:37pm
    I think he did it and they know it
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 7:43pm
    And I think Pete gets at and adds to what I am bumbling around to get out. I worry this man has fooled a lot of people and gotten away with it for so long he actually believes his own story line. If these allegations are true this man had one foot in a world where he was wildly respected by people like Susan and Suzanne, as well as respected people in child welfare, as well as one foot in a dark place where kids got hurt.

If these allegations are true this is a predator of the highest magnitude whose ability to manipulate people around him is truly stunning. The control he must have had over the people around him had to be incredible.

Yet when we take a look at the people around him, wow. I am not seeing a leader in child welfare. This is more like a house of cards starting to come down around this guy. Leaders want strong, independent people who bring excellent role modeling to these kids. Heck the places I worked, we were required to speak up when we saw things go wrong. Most of the time these state licensed and state regulated organizations have required policies ensuring people speak up for kids. I am not saying the guy is guilty, but I've never seen an accused person supported in this way. People get support because sometimes things happen, but nothing like what is going on in this case.
Mindie VanBoxel · Aspiring Farmer at Relatively Stable Acres · September 12, 2011 at 8:05pm
    Teens lie about abuse all the time. Look at how many kids have lied about attempted abductions in the past few years. In school, there were several teen girls that would make accusations about teachers they didn't like. Going through classes for foster care, we were actually told that foster children lie a LOT about sexual abuse because they will do and say anything out of frustration with their situation. These are obviously troubled people, and there are many reasons for them to lie. People lie and say they were abused as an excuse for the abuse they are inflicting on someone else, or for their own failures and insecurities. Everyone wants someone to blame for their problems. I'm not saying they ARE lying, I am just saying that there is a chance they are, and if they are, they should be prosecuted as they have ruined a person's life. It's quite unfortunate in this day that there are just as many false accusations in cases like this are there are true ones.
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 12, 2011 at 8:25pm
    Minnie it is so nice to see someone speak who has no clue and yes you are calling them liars. As a former foster parent, adoptive parent, and someone who worked in both mental health and child welfare I can tell you, lies about sexual abuse are rare, ESPECIALLY from boys.

Your comment about how many kids lied about attempted abductions is bizarre. These were few and far between even in a media that picks up few and far between. I would add to your comment, anyway, and note a few women who made allegations of being raped. In each of these cases no one was arrested and law enforcement figured out the truth BEFORE anyone was arrested.

If you look back in each case there was a prosecution. So let's give some points for professional law enforcement not being bored and looking to ruin someone's life for lack of anything else to do.
    ...See More
Brandon Wellfare · Top Commenter · No Way · September 12, 2011 at 10:38pm
    Faggot
Mark Anthony Alonso · Anna Maria, Florida · September 12, 2011 at 10:50pm
    I hope he has a lot of furry friends of his waiting for him in a state or federal prison. They will inflict justice upon him.
Mark Anthony Alonso · Anna Maria, Florida · September 12, 2011 at 11:06pm
    Who is that woman sticking her fingers in her ears and sticking her tongue out, obviously a supporter. I hope she gets it too.
Mark Anthony Alonso · Anna Maria, Florida · September 12, 2011 at 11:07pm
    What a shameful group of supporters that have no shame.
Mark Anthony Alonso · Anna Maria, Florida · September 12, 2011 at 11:09pm
    Your a bunch of stupid hollanders or something but you all have a regressive gene like this predator you scum bags. And I mean all of you witches on the news video with your big mouthes and sticking your fingers in your ears and sticking out your tongue. LICK THIS WITCH!! And you are some ugly women with big mouthes that need to shut the FU. Burn in hell with him witches.
Jim Hill · September 12, 2011 at 11:15pm
    Well more Tax Money gone. Seem like all we got is Victims In this country. Let's get Justice for them what a joke. Only thing I ever see is law enforcement getting the money never the So called Victims It's a lose lose for tax payers All we do is put the people in jail who pays the Biggest cost The Tax Payer's. Do a test Just see how much money is spent on this crap. And then Get ready for more tax money On new case's Sorry to the boys if that happened But No one Wins But the judges and lawyer's and the cops
Pete Moss · GED · September 12, 2011 at 11:47pm
    Mark, how do you really feel about this case? Jim, you don't make sense!
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 13, 2011 at 5:20am
    Another one of Mr. Terpening's good friends posting in the Battle Creek Enquirer.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/arti ... /109130306[/list]
Pete Moss · GED · September 13, 2011 at 4:25pm
    what a great way to put it, ".Michael Terpening, a man who has devoted his life to saving abused animals," referring to children who have been abused as "animals," and perhaps thats just the way these kids were treated which is why Mr. Terpening is finding himself right where he is
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 13, 2011 at 5:52pm
    Let's hope the animals were not treated the way these boys claimed they were treated...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Terpening to face trial for 12 assaults" 3
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Terpening to face trial for 12 assaults" (by Ken Kolker, 12 Sep/25 Oct 2011, WOOD-TV8), #s 41-60:

Pete Moss · GED · September 13, 2011 at 6:04pm
    no kidding Guest Checks; I am just shocked that the judge has not put some type of order in place for these people to stop the intimidation and harassment of these victims; these victims seem to be stronger people with higher character than Mr. Terpening or any of his supporters will ever be or ever have
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 13, 2011 at 7:44pm
    I was messaging with a person close to this who has been critical of the judge. Really it would be up to the prosecutor to file charges. However, if I am the prosecutor I may privately let this roll off my back. Keep in mind these are kids with experience with courts, all of it bad.

What happened at the Preliminarily Hearing was like giving a kid a measles shot. Each kid got a small taste of what being a witness is because in order to carry the case to the Circuit Court the prosecutor has to show probable cause a crime was committed and probable cause the Mr. Terpening committed the crimes.

After weeks of having to repeat these stories to a host of people these young men went into court, a place they never enjoyed and were often the one in trouble and found out the judge believed them. Not only that, the court and the prosecu...See More
Pete Moss · GED · September 13, 2011 at 8:09pm
    yeah, I guess its like the prosecutor said, in so many words, they can bring in their three out of town lawyers, pack the courtroom, etc, but they're not going to let them intimidate them
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 13, 2011 at 8:13pm
    Terpening's lawyer and the Terpening Followers are sabotaging this case. He is getting little support and it is getting worse.
Jamie Moore · September 14, 2011 at 10:09am
    My aunt Bobbie (Liz) was not sticking her tongue out at a victim, it was directed towards Trooper Vannette, but leave it to Wood TV 8 to get it wrong. They blatantly dissected an interview that I did to make it look as though I am guilty of a crime.
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 14, 2011 at 10:37am
    You have got to be kidding. If I was a supporting Mr. Terpening, the last thing I would be doing is sticking my tongue out at anyone. In a civilized society we settle issues in courts, we do not stick tongues out at people IN THE FREAKING COURT HOUSE.

All your comment has done is backed up so many people who find the Terpening Followers as way over the edge; and that is giving you people far more credit than you deserve.

Your comment brings me back to the question I asked a long time ago, how is it a community leader, a leader in child welfare has friends who do stuff like this? This guy should be the best of the best in our society and the more his friends and family stick their butts out the more it really raises questions about him and his innocence.

I mean, really, your judgment is stunningly awful, you are mad at WOOD for not getting who the tongue was pointed at? Are you kidding me? How about you folks comport yourselves with dignity and stop all the wacky acting out? All you do is make Terpening look worse. ARE YOU EVEN READING THE COMMENTS HERE? Juries come from ordinary citizens and you are alienating every ordinary person you possibly can with the stunts.
Jamie Moore · September 14, 2011 at 12:04pm
    I was NOT mad about Wood TV 8 getting it wrong at who the tongue was directed at, I AM ANGRY that Wood TV8 dissected my interview. CLEARLY you either work for Wood TV 8 or is it the Prosecutor's Office that you get paid from?

If you think we are going to sit idly by and remain quiet while CPS STEALS the children of our family, you are sadly mistaken. If you think it's not happening (the legalized KIDNAPPING of children) THINK AGAIN!!! It's happening all over the State. Here are 2 links that may interest you, IF you are the truth seeker that you claim to be.

http://miparentalrights.ning.com/

http://www.abusedswan.com/

If these aren't enough, then I am sure I can find you more![/list]
Jamie Moore · September 14, 2011 at 1:17pm
    How about this one
http://legallykidnapped.blogspot.com/20 ... vices.html
or maybe this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHgpsupY ... r_embedded
Whoever you are Guest Checks, you need to get up to speed on things, children are being KIDNAPPED by CPS all over![/list]
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 14, 2011 at 1:34pm
    This is what amazes me about the Terpening Followers. What makes you think there is something good, right, or just about doing anything in a court building, or in a court room other than to sit quietly? Why would you risk expressing your anger, at all, when Michael Terpenings family, life and freedom is on the line?

What in God's name is going on in the heads of you and your friends that you think you have any business in front of any camera, EVER? I am not sure I accept any of what you say, but are you people such media experts that you think Mr. Terpening is going to gain from your showing up in front of a camera?

My impression is you people have zero insight into the damage you are doing to Mr. Terpening by this bizarre campaign. I mean do you have any idea the thousands of people a TV station reaches every time one of you ...See More
Suzanne Gillihan · Works at Proud Stay At Home Mommy · September 15, 2011 at 7:03am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66u2Qot5 ... r_embedded[/list]

o
           · December 26, 2011 at 4:04pm
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan  · September 16, 2011 at 5:36am
    Not sure I get that second sentence, but I can tell you that they can really tell far more conclusively if something happened than you may think. Child Predators, and if he did this he is a Child Predator, engage in very specific behaviors that eaily identify them as child predators.

Predators groom kids, here is a good article, (
http://www.divinecaroline.com/22190/839 ... -behaviors ) Here is video from the Oprah show (
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/How-Sex- ... Boys-Video ) Here are the 6 stages of grooming: (
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Child-Se ... f-Grooming )

When allegations like this come up there is a team that gets involved from CPS, the law enforcement agency, and the prosecutor's officer. It is not just a detective asking what happened. In Grand Rapids, al...See More[/list]
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 16, 2011 at 5:37am
    Stage 4: Isolating the child

The grooming sex offender uses the developing special relationship with the child to create situations in which they are alone together. This isolation further reinforces a special connection. Babysitting, tutoring, coaching and special trips all enable this isolation.

A special relationship can be even more reinforced when an offender cultivates a sense in the child that he is loved or appreciated in a way that others, not even parents, provide. Parents may unwittingly feed into this through their own appreciation for the unique relationship.

Again, think about it, the leader of a program giving special attention to one or more kids...

Stage 5: Sexualizing the relationship

At a stage of sufficient emotional dependence and trust, the offender progressively sexualizes the relationship. Desensiti...See More
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 16, 2011 at 5:52am
    For any child in placement, Stages 1-3 are built in. Any team talking to those kids is looking for things like, did Terpening give more attention to specific kids during placed with him as opposed to others? In looking back did he seem to want specific kids in placement? (Often kids are interviewed for placement) Did Terpening seem to have favorites? Did he seem to have less interest in others kids?

Child predators can come off as wonderful people, they have to to accomplish their goals, but a closer look often shows amazingly self interested people who have little insight or a willingness to understand the damage they are doing. Someone in child welfare will stand out, after a while, because it is hard to pretend interest in helping someone while you are doing massive damage to their lives. They can pretend, but it will fall apart.

So the interviews are not just, "Tell me what happened." They are looking for the grooming.
Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · September 17, 2011 at 7:13pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztEqMoun ... ture=share[/list]
Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · September 17, 2011 at 7:14pm
http://protectingourchildrenfrombeingso ... -violated/[/list]
Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · September 17, 2011 at 7:17pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVPZHgTcmA[/list]
Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · September 17, 2011 at 7:19pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9k-1Du7 ... ture=share[/list]
Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · September 17, 2011 at 7:21pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9OoWRPH ... ture=share[/list]
Susan Ward Gillihan · E.A.Johnson Memorial High School · September 17, 2011 at 7:23pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZeKJHphpQU[/list]
Guest Checks · Comstock Park, Michigan · September 18, 2011 at 5:49am
    None of this explains 5 young men and the allegations made against Mr. Terpening.

He was a care giver to his adopted children and those children must be protected if he is, in fact, a predator.

You can post all the cowardly, nameless posts you want, the allegations will remain and demand an answer.
Lori Peltier · Works at No Place Like Home · December 1, 2011 at 11:01am
    This man was my daughters landlord and she said he/Michael would grab her boyfriends butt all the time and also asked if they wanted to do a threesome so, what do you get from that?
Bethany Christian Bethany · Top Commenter · January 6 at 2:22pm
    FB Justice for Michael Terpening.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Update
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »
Quote from: The Examiner
Michael Terpening is found guilty of 8 sex crimes against foster kids
by Jennifer McLeod, The Examiner, November 2, 2012

Michael Terpening, former owner of Earth Services, was found guilty of 8 sex crimes today in Barry County Circuit Court. He was charged with 12 counts in Aug. 2011 after boys living in The House Next Door, a residential treatment facility, made accusations that Terpening had been sexually inappropriate with them.

Terpening took the stand in his own defense yesterday and claimed he never touched the victims inappropriately, other than to comfort them when they were upset.

After his testimony, the Attorney General and defense attorney, Tom Schaefer, gave closing arguments. Today, the jury spent the entire day deliberating in a conference room and was able to have the verdict ready before the courthouse closed for the day.

A spokeswoman for Attorney General Bill Schuette's office, Joy Yearout, gave her statement regarding this case:

Michael Terpening's conviction on multiple felony counts achieves justice for the victims and their families who were traumatized by his abuse...we will seek the maximum sentence, which is 15 years in prison.

Terpening was convicted on the following counts:

• 3rd degree criminal sexual conduct, one count
  • 2nd degree criminal sexual conduct, one count
  • 4th degree attempted criminal sexual conduct, one count
  • Aggravated indecent exposure, two counts
  • 4th degree criminal sexual conduct, three counts

Terpening was taken into custody by police and told he will be sent to prison. Sentencing for Terpening is scheduled for Dec. 13, 2012.

Quote from: The Examiner
Michael Terpening has been sentenced for the sex crimes against his foster kids
by Jennifer McLeod, The Examiner, December 13, 2012

Michael Terpening, convicted sexual predator, was sentenced Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012. Terpening was accused last year of sexual misconduct against boys in his foster home and was recently found guilty on 8 of 12 of those charges. He was sentenced to 10 to 15 years in prison on two of the convicted charges, which will run concurrently. On the less serious charges, he was sentenced to jail time with time already served.

Originally, Terpening was offered a plea deal, which he denied, that would have imprisoned him for one year. Instead, he chose to interfere in the case and was tampering by influencing others to pressure witnesses and victims into lying or recanting their testimony, which happened in the case with one of the victims. Terpening also chose to testify in his own defense earlier on in the trial.

The assistant attorney general, Angela Povilaitis, gave a lengthy speech and accused Michael of using his position of authority, entrusted to him by the State of Michigan, to molest and traumatize kids, causing them more psychological damage. Judge Amy McDowell adds her opinion further by mentioning how Terpening specifically asked for sexual abuse victims to be placed at his facility, the worse they were, the better.

Povilaitis requested to the judge to consider the special circumstances in this case when sentencing Terpening. Povilaitis goes on to say,

These victims lacked parental support...I will be the voice for them today...and, what is strikingly clear is that this is not an isolated incident. This is not a one-time failure of a man who pleads mercy from the court for his mistake. We have a man who perpetrates crimes against victims. His actions were for his own selfish, sexual satisfaction. He has manipulated the system, the courts, his family, and his supporters to get victims to go on TV and recant their statements. We are her today because of his actions. The chances were given to him many, many times.

Judge McDowell departed from the sentencing guidelines, because of Terpening's attempt to try to cover up his crimes, giving him the maximum sentence possible in this case. This was decided, in part, because of testimony from victims who testified that they were sexually abused by Terpening many years ago, for which he was never prosecuted for. Judge McDowell agreed there was a pattern of predatory conduct and supported the Povilaitis's statements.

Tom Schaeffer argued in defense of Terpening, who was allowed to speak last, right before his sentencing. Terpening made an emotional plea to Judge McDowell, stating he had never been convicted of anything in the past. He stated he would enroll in any program and attend therapy wherever the courts directed, if they would sentence him to the minimal sentencing guidelines, so he could still be with his family. He claims he is being mistreated in the jail and has problems with other men rubbing against him. He also had letters of recommendations from a few of his supporters, such as Mike and Linda Timmons. The judge was not impressed.

Judge McDowell denied Terpening's request and told him he was a predator who preyed on victims. Her summary of Terpening was in a few simple words.

You are a danger to the community.