Author Topic: Any information on Bryce Canyon Academy, Parowan, UT?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
Any information on Bryce Canyon Academy, Parowan, UT?
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
Current Location:  580 North Main Street, Parowan, Utah  84761
Owners/Directors:  Travis Milne, Keith Burgess, Cory Krandall
Phone:  435-477-9167

Apparently was previously known as Lost and Found Youth Academy.
680 West 300 South, Milford Utah  84751 435-387-2223
Relocated 11/6/09.  

Please help if you can.

Auntie Em
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Any information on Bryce Canyon Academy, Parowan, UT?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »
Here's their website: http://www.brycecanyonacademy.com/

And here is what I take to be the official FB page: Bryce Canyon Academy
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Bryce Canyon Academy owners/directors
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »
No staff noted anywhere that I could find, save for the two owners:

[/list]
    "Living our dream.. Helping youth find their way."
    Travis Milne/Keith Burgess (Owners/Directors)
    [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    As a Man Thinketh
    « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »
    Here's a page titled "Inspirational Works," perhaps better described as statements or "reports" made by students indicating how much "progress" they've made while at Bryce Canyon Academy. Whether or not that directive is the official one is another story.

There's only one entry thus far, which seems to start off as a book report, but then gets more personal for the remainder of the piece:

As a Man Thinketh

As a man thinketh, was written my James Allen he was born in Leicester, England on November 28, 1864. His father in 1879 had come to America to escape finances before he could send for James and his mother he was robbed and murdered. This is why I think that James Allen had really studied people as hard as he did and why he put so much thought into things. He grew up in poverty because of his father's death but when he finally made it over to the United States of America he had made his career in writing narrative stories.

The main things that I thought stood out about my thinking process was the fact that when I wanted to do something I would think if it was really possible to do it, and what I mean about possible is if I could really do it with out really trying. Since I have read this book in Milford I have done whatever I wanted as long as I really thought that I could do it and I really think that is why I am this far. Right now I really think that I am controlling my self because I thought I could. So I knew I could, when I think about this book I know that it means that if you say I do what ever I think it means realistically. So I could not go out and say that I am going to fly, I will know that if I go and I jump off a cliff I am not going to fly.

Right now I am controlling my thoughts by thinking every time I get a bad thought or a thought that would involve something that I would not be doing at my position in level I say in my mind, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." ( Matthew) chapter 5 verse 8, I don’t know why but I always think if I get mad or if I deceive someone or the morals of my level it just helps me think I will see god. Also when I when I don't know what to think of myself I think to my self "They themselves are the makers of themselves." For some reason I think that god is always watching me and my thoughts and I kind of thought that is how James Allen felt sometimes.

Right now I think that my thoughts are totally influencing ,e to do the right thing every time except on occasions like today on the 3/24-10 I got my I pod took in for taken it to school. Sometime I really don't think about it so I can't use my skills that I have learned so it just makes it a whole lot harder on me, so o solve this I have been trying to just make sure I think every thing through. When I was in Milford and I got into trouble with Jordan I thought to myself I will get through this and I will come back and I will be a huge figure for this program and I always had a tough time to go through the program as a level two and three and put all my morals into things. Now that I am almost level five I am using every thing I know to try and be a example to every new kid that comes in I want them to say when they get there level "I want to be like Colton" if I had a new kid say that I would probably cry because I have never had anybody say they wanted to be like me.

When I was giving my book I thought it would be one of those self help books that would be to hard to get into, if you know what I mean like books that are just a bunch of stuff that is telling you about passiveness and a bunch of other big words that just make you lethargic. This book actually helped me change my life and I don't think I will ever forget that it was given to me by a friend who was a drug addict and he read it to change his life, and he was not even in a program or rehab he was growing up and finding out what he wanted to be.

I will dedicate this report too my best friend who is now a successful wild life fire fighter Peter Fairbrother

( BCA Student ) 03/26/10

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
    Thank you!
    Tough love is a hate group.
    "I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
      • Secret Prisons for Teens
    « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:34:55 AM »
    It is unfortunate not that much we have been able to put on the datasheet. We are checking Google maps and streetview up so we can locate them on the maps.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Therapy at Bryce Canyon Academy
    « Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:44 AM »
    Here's their page on Therapy. Gotta wonder what those soon-to-come "special family seminars" will entail. Will they be contracting these sessions out to some company like Resource Realizations or siimilar?

Emphasis as per the original:

Therapy

Therapeutic Program
    Here at BCA we believe that therapy is an important process in each child's life. The word, "Therapy" is misdirected in many as a form of weakness and therefore shunned, or shied away from. "Therapy" to us and to the children is seen as a form of support, strength, communication, and a change in oneself and their possible destructive or hurtful tendencies of the past. We therefore implement it into all aspects of our program.

Therapists
    All therapy is coordinated and ran through Therapists, carefully selected by BCA and professionally licensed with the State of Utah as Health Professionals in their field. Therapists conduct individual, family, and group sessions with students and work hand in hand with our caring and devoted staff to facilitate parent visits, special outings, or improvements needed, on an individual bases, to better help the child with their personal needs and progress.

Parents & Family Support
    BCA strongly believes in "Parent & Family Support". Family reunification is our main goal here at BCA. Our best efforts are put toward keeping the family strong and bringing awareness to each individual of changes that can be implemented to create harmony, love, and unity in all. In this manner we believe that once the child graduates and returns home, he or she and their family will have the best chance of keeping their new found child's awakening and personal change, lasting and for a lifetime. For this reason we offer 24-hour family support representatives on hand to assist you in time of need. Special family seminars are in the works to better help parents acquire skills needed, and to bring about a more complete feeling of involvement and pride in their child's progress and life as they progress through these times of self-awareness and positive change.

Clinicians & Staff
    Here at BCA, our experienced staff was carefully hand picked in order to bring the best possible people into our program and into your child's life. In this way we hope to bring an atmosphere of caring, devoted, professional individuals that truly believe that seeing a change for the better in another individual is worth more than any amount of money they could make elsewhere. We as owners are very proud of our staff and each child that is enrolled here at BCA.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Bryce Canyon Academy, 'New Perspectives'
    « Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »
    Here's what Struggling Teens has to say 'bout the place (pretty much parroting what's on the program website):

New Perspectives
    BRYCE CANYON ACADEMY

Posted: May 3, 2010, 13:13

Parowan, Utah
    Keith Burgess
    Director
    435-477-9167
    http://www.brycecanyonacademy.com

Bryce Canyon Academy is a residential treatment center for young men and women ages 12-17 who are struggling with emotional and behavioral issues including manipulative and negative attitudes, anger management, lying, stealing and sneaky actions and substance abuse. Additionally, Bryce Canyon works with teens that are lacking motivation in their academics and are skipping school or have school suspensions, are involved in gangs, are running away or creating negative peer relationships.

Licensed by the Utah State Department of Human Services and is accredited by the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools, the academics at Bryce Canyon Academy is available for students in 7th-12th grades and offers a college preparatory curriculum and a general academic study course. Owners and Directors at Bryce Canyon Academy are Travis Milne and Keith Burgess.

Bryce Canyon offers representatives to parents and families for 24 hour family support and is in the process of creating family seminars to assist in building skills needed to work towards family reunification. In addition to family therapy, students participate in individual and group therapies.

For recreation, students enjoy a variety of activities that include sports: soccer, basketball and volleyball, exercise and jogging, music, game room sports and winter sports such as tubing and skiing.

[This information came from the Bryce Canyon Academy website.]

Copyright © 2010, Woodbury Reports, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
    Info from Utah's Office of Licensing... I guess they really haven't been around all that long, as this looks like an initial license:

Facility:     bryce canyon academy
    Location: (Not Mail)    580 north main street parowan, utah 84761
    Phone: 435 4779167
    Mail:    po box 967 / parowan, UT 84761    
    County: iron
    License:
      Type: Initial
      Begins: 11/18/2009
      Ends: 10/31/2010
      License Number: 16056
      Service: Residential Treatment
      Specific:
      Capacity: 48
      Licensor:    Greg Hirst

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
        • Secret Prisons for Teens
      « Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 01:48:13 AM »
      HEAL-online has reported the program as closed. The webpage is gone. I will update the Wiki.