Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

Into the Belly of the Beast, the Comparison

<< < (3/9) > >>

psy:

--- Quote from: "Muppeteer" ---Once in re-entry, you could work off campus if you were of age to do so, or you could work in the Elan 3 kitchen for low/minimum wage.
--- End quote ---

Were wages paid directly, or did the program hold onto the money for "safe keeping" (the CEDU based program I was in did this)?  Was it common for people to stay past the 3 month graduation point or to live communally with other elan folk after graduation?

Muppeteer:
The program held the money in a student account, there was no personal cash allowed to be kept. If wages were earned off campus, the money would have to be turned in to someone who would place it in the account. I myself was too young to work off campus when I was in re-entry, so I worked in the Elan 3 kitchen for a couple of dollars an hour.

I know from speaking with many of my peers, it was fairly common to band together after graduation for a time. Speaking just for myself, I know that for several years I kept in close contact with 4 or 5 of my closest friends, some of them even visiting for weeks at a time, which certainly stressed out my parents :) as we were up to no good. lol.

none-ya:
The seed:
newcomer
newcomer, at home
oldcomer
old timer
STARTOVER!

mod edit: trimmed out all the unnecessary comments.

psy:

--- Quote from: "Muppeteer" ---The program held the money in a student account, there was no personal cash allowed to be kept. If wages were earned off campus, the money would have to be turned in to someone who would place it in the account. I myself was too young to work off campus when I was in re-entry, so I worked in the Elan 3 kitchen for a couple of dollars an hour.
--- End quote ---

If students decided to leave the program or were demoted during this period, what would happen to their money?  In my case, if they left, the money became the program's.  If they were demoted to a lower level, most of the time the money was held, but the program could "fine" that away arbitrarily.  Was this the case in Elan?  Were their fines as well?

--- Quote ---I know from speaking with many of my peers, it was fairly common to band together after graduation for a time. Speaking just for myself, I know that for several years I kept in close contact with 4 or 5 of my closest friends, some of them even visiting for weeks at a time, which certainly stressed out my parents :) as we were up to no good. lol.
--- End quote ---

Did you talk about the program during this time?  Adhere to the programs' beliefs?  How common was this?  What i'm trying to gauge is how long on average true believers' beliefs would survive on the outside when you're only associating with other program members?  Did you have other friends after graduation?  Was this common?  What did they think about your experiences if you discussed it?

Muppeteer:

--- Quote from: "psy" ---If students decided to leave the program or were demoted during this period, what would happen to their money?  In my case, if they left, the money became the program's.  If they were demoted to a lower level, most of the time the money was held, but the program could "fine" that away arbitrarily.  Was this the case in Elan?  Were their fines as well?

Did you talk about the program during this time?  Adhere to the programs' beliefs?  How common was this?  What i'm trying to gauge is how long on average true believers' beliefs would survive on the outside when you're only associating with other program members?  Did you have other friends after graduation?  Was this common?  What did they think about your experiences if you discussed it?
--- End quote ---

I have heard some (at least one) of my peers gripe to this day that Elan owes them back wages. I do not believe there were monetary deductions for non-compliance, or fines. They had enough control over food, cigarettes and soda to make monetary fines obsolete by comparison, especially since the money was not available until you left the program. And yes, I do think that most people recieved their wages upon leaving no matter if they graduated, signed out (at 18 years of age) or were kicked out.

As for the "after-program" experience, I can't speak for everyone. But I myself went back to the same public high school I was attending before my Elan enrollment, and the friends I met in Elan certainly met and got along well with all of my un-indoctrinated friends. We would frequently discuss it, usually in quite disparaging terms, as there was not a true-believer among us.

I'd say the real "true-believers" (again, for lack of a better term) still to this day hold their Elan experience in high regard. Refernece the Facebook group "Elan Saved my Life."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version