Author Topic: NORTHWEST BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE SERVICES  (Read 15733 times)

Offline Triumvirate

• View Profile
NORTHWEST BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE SERVICES
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2004, 07:38:00 PM »
Staff wishes = sit up straight...look forward...share your innermost secrets...or be restrained?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Entire, complete serenity
Injected intravenously
Transgression euphoric bliss divine
Initiate a timeless stain of mind
Blood will steralize, In fire baptised

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 03:00:00 AM »
As a former employee of Northwest BHS, I too, have comments to make.  The policy for restraints is that ONLY a child who is in danger of hurting himself or someone else is to be restrained.  All other forms of intervention are to be used first.  I personally observed several of the supervisors initiate restraints unnecessarily.  No, the children do not get restrained if they speak out of order, don't sit up straight, etc., but a non-compliance issue that I once observed was a child who had left his therapy group, and sat in the hallway, clearly angry.  He simply refused to be monitored by a staff person.  The clients are always monitored, for safety reasons, as many of the clients have severe mental health issues, whereupon they are prone to suicidal gestures/suicide attempts.  Refusing to move is not dangerous.  This child should not have been restrained.  The child was not physically harmed in this action, but who can say the mental effects suffered from being held to the ground by 5 people, then lifted and carried to a room where your ankles and wrists are strapped to a bed.  This is a very rare occurrence at the facility, but it does happen.
     I agree with the other former employee that most of the staff implementing the program are wonderful capable people.  They do admirable work.  However, as mentioned, many of the management staff lack the desire or the ability to affect change in the lives of people.  Their ultimate desire is to make money, though their mission statement claimes they are committed to Quality, Integrity, People, blah, blah, blah.  Nobody asks the employees about this though.  The receive several high accreditations from governing bodies, i.e the State of Oregon, JCAHO, Drug and Alcohol Boards, etc.  However, the staff are told it is perfectly alright to lie to the surveyors if they are asked any questions during an evaluation.  Not very high moral standards, if you ask me.
     They advance people to positions of power if they are either related to the owner, friends of the boss' daughter, or otherwise unqualified to wipe their own rear-ends.  The drive is for status quo.  Any challenge to the process is hammered down swiftly.  There is no room leadership.  In short, it is a poorly run business that happens to employ some of the most amazing and talented people I have ever had the privilege of working with.  All the really good counselors want to leave because of this.  If you ever ask anyone who works there about the program, anyone who gives a glowing report is an owner/sibling/friend or child of the owner.  Anyone happy with the place is a poorly trained, inexperienced person who should never have been placed in charge of anything.  Almost all the supervisors are in their early 20's.  Most of them have no other experience in mental health.  But, they don't rock the boat, so they get promoted.
     They do strip searches.   This is to protect the clients and the staff from weapons being brought to the unit, and from drugs being snuck in.  I personally have seen a girl come onto the unit with cigarettes and three mini lighters stuffed in her crotch.  Nobody touches the client during the search, and it is brief...mostly to check the clothing.  Otherwise, I don't know of anything I would consider abusive.  Do kids get help?...some do, some get worse, MANY come back.  They are teenagers...they are experimenting, their parents need help more than they do most of the time.  It's sad, really.   30 days won't fix your kid.  Family therapy, long-term, outpatient, that would be my recommendation.  I have over a decade of experience in mental health...this place is run by a moron with no morals.  You can do better, because on the off-chance your child does connect with one of the quality staff, they are limited in access to those people, because they are chronically understaffed.
     Phone calls are permitted on a daily basis.  The calls are not closeley monitored, but the client's behaviors are.  Some clients get quite angry with their parents during these calls, and any acting out is monitored for the sake of safety.  I've personally been kicked, hit and bitten while working there, so yes, some clients get restrained.
   THe best advice I can give is this:  Your teen needs a GOOD parent, decide if you really are one.  Get help for your whole family.  Would you trust a 20-year-old to do a better job than yourself.  I have to give kudos to the very talented therapists who work there...I'd trust them to care for my own mental health.  Other than that, it's a crap shoot.  Good luck!

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 12:03:00 PM »
"The policy for restraints is that ONLY a child who is in danger of hurting himself or someone else is to be restrained." ...anon

that was Straight's policy too.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-- Aristotle

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »
Bunch of low life motherfuckers at NBHS can't even follow the laws.  They'll get what is theirs to have that they make themselves.  Just gotta make a coupla quick phone calls here.........

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2004, 09:15:00 PM »
I dont know Anon...it sounds to me that the way you describe these people and their attitudes toward the facility, and all of the professional concerns....well, its hard for me to agree that things are going along as policy dictates for this facility.

If everyone is poorly trained, unqualified, and unconcerned with their professionalism...how can there possibly be no friction in how the clients are handled?  

I would seriously urge you to take a harder look at what you are describing.  It seems to me that other than your belief that help for people can be a good thing, that there isnt much else tethering you to the idea that anything about this place is positive.

I have my own opinions about what this place is probably like, but I would encourage you to open your eyes a bit wider and see for yourself.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 04:57:00 PM »
Oh, my eyes are opened wide, that's why I no longer work there.  I believe that many of the people who work there feel as I do.  They started there with the hope of helping young people, and now are trying like hell to get out of there.  Again, I believe that people can get help there, but not many.  In order to do so, you have to be immune to the chaos swirling around you, and most teenagers cannot do that.  I don't believe the facility was created with the idea that they would hurt kids, butI believe many of the policies and procedures do just that (emotionally not physically).  There is a better way to treat adolescents, and as soon as people see that, facilities like this one will no longer be able to exist.

Offline Triumvirate

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2004, 07:23:00 AM »
So what did you do about it anon? Just cut and run...pretend its not there because yo no longer are a part of it?

Did you make any phone calls to media or government agencies?
Did you warn parents?

Did you participate in abuse?

You mentioned restraint but..what about brainwashing?What about the group? What about the tearing down of the ego? What about "breaking" the "druggies" will?

Those are the things that scar worse than straps and chains..
Entire, complete serenity
Injected intravenously
Transgression euphoric bliss divine
Initiate a timeless stain of mind
Blood will steralize, In fire baptised

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »
Wow, i came upon this recently and being a parentof a former patient at Northwest, I feel the need to respond.  Everyday I thank God that I have my child back.  You cannot imagine the agony that our family went through prior to her being at Northwest.  They saved my child's life.  They taught her a better way to live without drugs. They taught us as parents how to help her during her times of stress.
I somehow cannot help but think that the "former staff" obviously were let go and are simply trying to get even.
I recommend Northwest to any parents who have children in need of help.  The staff were professional, the care for my daughter was excellent, and the program worked.
It is also comforting to know that they don't apparently hesitate to remove staff that shouldn't be there.

Offline thepatriot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2004, 05:24:00 PM »
How long ago did your daughter get out? there are a lot of people on this board that successfully completed programs that wen6t through hell in their lives afterwards because them.
arasota Straight Escapee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »
I can read between the lines of your post there.  I really can't understand why you are so afraid to even have an ID other than 'Anonymous'.

I can read what you are refusing to say.  Your child for a fact (because for a fact I was the one who phoned that fucking hospital and I was the one who posted first here about Northwest) was not allowed legal time for education.  Your child was not allowed to call police at will without the phone being dialed for him, and was not allowed to speak to you without supervision.  However professional you can make these things look, however nice you want to call it out, however pretty you want to make what happened: its still breaking the law and is known by its pure and true name as Child Abuse, or Medical Malpractice, or False Imprisonment.  One and the same here, and all are felonies.  

So, here, without any doubt whatsoever, I can tell you what will happen sooner.  It will be here before you can even sense its coming.  Your child is going to rear back at you one of these days.  They will hold your sorry ass accountable for stealing their childhood from them.  The funny part is you'll have to answer some questions, and you won't be able to.  The only thing you will say is, "I did what I thought was best for you honey".  

And when you are old and decrepit and your child leaves you in a hospital to die, at least you won't have to wonder what that's all about.

Be happy your child does not know the law for himself/herself, if they did...............

Enjoy your creations to the fullest.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if you are one of the staff at Northwest trying to cover your illegal activity.  If this is not the case, the least you could do is learn the law and civil rights for your child and those around you.  Darkness awaits you.  [ This Message was edited by: animals all of us on 2004-05-03 14:34 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »
A nightmare that I couldn't wake up from...that's what it was like when my son's disease nearly devoured his life and our family. After I got past my own denial, I couldn't find anyone who could help. He didn't want help. With our family history, I was afraid his "bottom" would be death. I was also afraid of what it was doing to my younger kids.

I am thankful for Northwest. I doubt if any program is perfect, but their locked facility gave my son a chance to get away from his using friends and for the drugs and his mind to clear. They gave him tools to start recovering. I made some changes. We have a relationship again. It hardly qualifies as an Extreme Makeover, but we've awoken from our nightmare.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience but many do.  I too am a former employee and saw many kids come back after 90-days clean and sober and talk.  Having had the opportunity to see the changes in their lives was incredible.  To the former employee who wrote before me, it sounds like you didn't have a good experience either, but I did.  I found Northwest to be a great place to work.  I felt the administration was compassionate, cared about their employees, and provided a good program.  I felt that when a decision needed to be made, they always did the right thing or what was in the best interest of the child or their family.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2004, 03:50:00 AM »
Well, there's two more Anonymous Posts from a coupla pussies.  Or is it from the same person.  I can't tell.  One minute you are saying that you worked at Northwest, oh Mr. Anonymous Postor, the next you are saying your child went there.  Sounds like you got you brainwashed and confused.

Why do you continually skirt around the issues ??? You are obviously a bullshitter because for one, my first post tells you that it was not me who EVER set foot in a place like Northwest.  I mean, how daft can you be not to see what is clearly written over and over ???  

Secondly, I never said that there weren't patients who had 'pleasant' experiences.  I simply stated a fact that the clinical director got on the phone, this is only after I had been directed to call Northwest by a concerned former patient, told me open and honest procedures that are illegal.

Again, since you cannot read you fucking stupid cunt alien moron, here is what I said.  

No. No. Wait.

No.

I am really tired of spelling things out for people who are trying to pass off that you are remotely intellectual humans.  My original post is specifically designed to pull child abusers like you out of the fucking wood work.  Now you are caught.  And yeah, I have issues.  I have a fucking bundle of issues with liars and thieves like you who purport and front for Northwest and can't decide whether or not you work there or whether or not your child was there.

Ive just realized that you are the same person who has posted anonymously since these websites have been open.  You support Melvin Sembler.  You are the same anonymous postor that heckles people when they are working at healing.  How odd and alone you are.  How sad for you.  What a waste of life you are.  How silly and strange that you haven't killed yourself yet.

I would say: "Anonymous Postors Unite!".  But there is only one of you.  You are one and the same.  You are.........
Anonymous.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »
I am posting anonymously because I don't want to hassle with signing on for an account or whatever. I work at Northwest right now. I think that your use of abusive language and cursing shows how immature you are. I think that you do not know what you are talking about on several levels. I agree with other posters who work there currently or previously, in that there are many good people who work there. I have seen a few restraints that did not need to happen. I have also seen kids kept from harming themselves or others. We limit phone calls to family to keep the kids in their group and individual therapy sessions. We monitor those phone calls loosely (meaning keeping an eye on the kid, NOT listening in) so we have an idea if the kid is getting along well, is begging to be taken out, or is cursing their mom indiscriminately. We limit who they can talk to, as well, to family members over 18. We also limit and monitor their visits for much the same reasons. We are responsible for the kids' safety, which means they stay within sight of a staff member. Some of our kids have a history of hitting their family members. Sometimes it's the parents who have a shady history.
We have kids who are detoxing from chronic, serious drug use. Kids who are depressed enough to try to kill themselves. Kids with a history of violence. We help some kids, not others. We're not for everyone.  Really, we're sort of an ER for treatment. We get the kids ready for good, outpatient family therapy by allowing them to become stable through detoxing and a therapeutic environment. When they are with us, they have less than the six hours of school that (I believe) the law requires. But there are exceptions to those laws, and being in treatment is one of them. We do have a licensed teacher who helps kids keep up with their regular schoolwork.
As to being able to call 911 whenever they want to, well, if we did that, some kids would call 911 every ten minutes. I'm sorry, but minors don't have the same rights as adults. When their parents sign them into our custody, their rights are limited under the law. They don't have unlimited access to mail, either. It all goes through their therapist.
This is not breaking the law, it is not medical malpractice, it is not false imprisonment, and it is most certainly not child abuse. It is keeping kids from their drug dealers and their psycho and/or over-21 boyfriends. For less than thirty days. Yes, our average stay is less than thirty days. We didn't steal their childhood; in most cases, it was gone long ago. We try to give a piece of it back.
We are not perfect, and it has already been noted that the upstairs politics is disconcerting. But I'll tell you now that in the two years I've worked there I have never seen or heard of anyone there hitting a kid, threatening a kid, cursing a kid, or verbally abusing a kid. I have seen mistakes made through what I believe is are lapses in judgment coupled with poor training, but not through malicious intent.
The kids can think whatever they want. We do consequence some speech, like cursing, glorifying drug use, and language demeaning to groups (racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.). "Consequence" usually means making it a little more difficult to earn privileges (common privileges are having a radio in their room, going on a pass with their parents, or candy bars during the movie on weekend evenings). If their speech is directly threatening, the consequences are more serious, usually including a loss of all privileges; if the behavior is serious enough, we ask them to stay in a "Quiet Room" until A: they are no longer a threat to themselves or others and B: they show some level of responsibility for the actions that brought them that consequence. This usually means writing a couple essays and a letter of apology. Kids who have a hard time reading and writing (and we get a lot of those) can do these assignments verbally, or through artwork.
There's a lot I don't like about the facility. But that has mostly to do with upper management. The people who work the floor are dedicated, hardworking, caring individuals. I find it amusing that the people with the worst to say about Northwest are people who have never been there, and had maybe one phone call there. Even former staff members with negative things to say on this board also had good things to say. I also thank the parent or two who weighed in and told of their experience. I hope your child(ren) are still doing well.
If anyone has any questions about what I've written, post them. I'll check back in a couple days. If anyone has any arguments, I can address those. If someone just wants to curse someone out, tell it to your dog. He'll love you anyway.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
I too am a parent of a former patient at Northwest. No I'm not the same one as before and no I don't work there.
But I can say that the treatment that my son received was extremely helpful in turning his life around (he left the program about 1 year ago). He is doing well in school this year, has new peers, and talks with his siblings.  These are all things that were absent from his life after my divorce and while he was using drugs.  I had little hope for him but he has proven me wrong. I cannot say enough about the impact that Northwest has made on the lives of our family.