Author Topic: The Horror's of Dundee Ranch in May 2003  (Read 10340 times)

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
The Horror's of Dundee Ranch in May 2003
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »
Well, I can believe they're all lying, or I can believe that maybe you're the one lying.

If WWASP was telling the truth, and you were telling the truth, then they wouldn't be getting so upset at the thought that they'd actually have to let the kids send and receive letters freely (not just to their parents), and that they'd have to be subject to surprise inspections of any part of the facility by child welfare folks.  And, of course, that there would be a *minimum* number of thorough, surprise inspections each year.

If WWASP was telling the truth, and you were telling the truth, they'd welcome the oversight as a way to demonstrate that they were better than their industry competitors.

If WWASP was telling the truth, and you were telling the truth, they'd welcome each child having an intake interview by a social services case worker to evaluate the reason for placement and to verify that the child did indeed have the listed problems, so that children who didn't need residential treatment would be screened out instead of admitted.

Since, instead, they (and you) come across as highly resistant to reasonable government oversight of what amounts to involuntary commitment, I draw the reasonable conclusion that the people claiming abuse are more likely to be telling the truth and you and the other WWASPies are more likely to be lying.

If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »
Thank you,
$pammer1

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
I don't doubt for a second that the reason they carried on those stories after they left was so that they could stay home with their ganja and their t.v....and women-- we all wanted to get out and get us a woman

Chris, what stories is it that you are talking about that they carried on with?  I think we both know who you are talking about as I too have heard that they enjoyed playing basketball while at Dundee.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
Social workers and the state government restraints that are placed on what they can and cannot do is why most states are in the place they are in right now.  Ten years ago, a parent was allowed to be a parent, but now the States are saying that if a kid is high all the time, or drops out of school or burns the house down, they have to agree to get help?  What's wrong with this picture?

I would no more ask a social worker to tell me my child needs help than I would most of you.  

What's all the fuss about letter writing?  Would it be a good thing for the kids to get letters from their "old" friends and focus on them?  No.  THey get uncensored letters from their parents and maybe siblings or any relative that the parents okay.  That statement about getting uncensored letters from ANYONE is just stupid.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2004, 11:59:00 PM »
***Parents sent their kids there because they had problems with kids listening to what they told them to do, and so Dundee has an environment that is structured around kids learning that every action they commit creates a result. Dundee rewarded good behavior, and consequented bad behavior.***

Chris,
Did the kids wiping buggers actually received a ?consequence? if they laid on a towel and avoided school?  If they were going to lay around, why not their room or the beach? Point being, why the ?special room??  What was so special about that room?  How many days did one bugger wiping get a guy? Sounds like the more appropriate ?consequence? would have been to have to go to school.. of course, if issuing consequences was the intention. I'm still trying to imagine a number(?) of guys laying around on towels in a small room all day while others are at school. How many fit in the OP room?

What type of rewards did you receive? The privilege of eventually being allowed to speak to your parents? You know, contact with your parents is a RIGHT not a privilege. Now, if your parents refuse to speak to you, that?s another matter- and most definitely is abandonment.  Here in the real world, where right and wrong exist and where right (just) sometimes prevails; the only way a third party can severe contact between parent and child is when it is proven by a court of law to be detrimental to the child?s well-being. There seems no other explanation for this, except to establish that they are the ultimate authority in your life. Do you believe that any means to an end are acceptable?  Would the ?incentive to get home? as you say, have been any less if you?d had contact with your parents?

Yes, there are rules in life. Some of us believe that most of the basic rules of most all programs are not humane. Not a beneficial or desirable means to the end. Can you fathom that you might be happy and well adjusted today without the treatment you received at Dundee?  People find clever ways to get around irrational and unreasonable rules,  Ex: ?They weren't the same kids that I used to laugh with in our rooms when we were supposed to be on silence??  If they really wanted you to be silent, and meant it, wouldn?t they have had someone sit in the room or monitor the room on camera? How do you explain that? Do you think it humane to deny a person basic rights such as looking out the window, looking at self in the mirror, looking at the opposite sex, speaking without permission, no contact with the outside world. For all intents and purposes, you were in a private prison.

Were you ever in OP? Did you have to kneel or lay face down motionless, or did you lay on a towel for days on end?  Did you ever have your arm twisted behind your back?

Where do you draw the line on human rights, particularly the rights of parent/child?  If/when you have children, do you think that you?ll have the same rules for him/her that you learned there? I mean, if it?s good for change, might it also be good for prevention? What do you think?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2004, 01:32:00 AM »
The whole purpose is prevention.  Parents learn and apply (hopefully) the concepts, the kids learn and apply the concepts.  If the parents choose not to apply them, the kids still have an awesome chance to use what they learned and move on.  Yes, I know what NOT to do now and that's rescue and enable and live my life through my kids. My eyes are also wide open to the possibilities of relapse, but I'm all ears too.  Listening and open communication, even if I don't agree, it's not the end of the world.  So much has changed in the past 5 years, for the better. The bumps are no longer mountains.  Go figure.  

I think this young man is strong and focused and won't buy into your crap, Deborah.  I knew you and others would do your best to make him think he was abused to fit your view of whatever the hell program you were involved in.  The feeble attempt at button pushing is funny.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2004, 07:43:00 AM »
Button pushing? Do my best to make him think he was abused?
I asked him legitimate questions which he can choose to answer or not. You may not "rescue" your child, but it sure appears that you are here attempting to "rescue" Chris. He's doing a fine job speaking for himself.
Listening and open communication?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
If Chris wasn't abused, good for him.  Really.

It doesn't have jack to do with whether other people were or not.

I focus on letter-writing because it is an open access to other relatives, the parents of friends, grown friends, and government agencies if the kid is being abused and the parents are interpreting cries for help as "manipulation."  Abuse reports need to be investigated, whether they're "manipulation" or not.

I don't have a problem with, if the parents allege a particular friend is a druggie, that friend going down to the hospital and getting a drug test within X days of the allegation being made.  But if the test comes back clean, the communication shouldn't be censored.

And the reason for the letter writing is that it's a pretty much 100% prophylactic against the induction of Stockholm Syndrome---you can't induce SS without isolation.  You can't isolate if the kid can send and receive letters freely.  No isolation, no Stockholm Syndrome.

I emphasize letter writing as the means of preventing Stockholm Syndrome that is *least* disruptive to any genuine therapeutic process.

My contention is that instead of providing genuine treatment for the kids' problems, most TBS's rely on the induction of Stockholm Syndrome and then use mind control techniques to implant a false personality on top of the kid's own personality--it's a form of dissociation.  The kid thinks, sometimes, that he's just playing a role, but on some level the role becomes real and "stuck" and doesn't wear off for about five to fifteen years----leaving behind PTSD and all sorts of other assorted problems that have been masked by the Stockholm Syndrome and false personality.

With open access to send and receive mail, the programs won't be getting those unrealistic and misleading apparent "success" rates---but any improvements are far more likely to be real, permanent, and not do further lasting psychological and psychiatric damage to these already damaged teens.

So my focus on letter writing may *seem* stupid to you if you don't know much about psychology, but there's a very, very good reason for it.

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
Oops.  Sorry, that was me.  Didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land.
--William Kingdon Clifford

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »
Nice to see a discussion that actually shines a light on issues of interest to people who appreciate hearing all points of view, especially those expressed by young people who have first-hand experience (good, bad or ugly) with a specialty school or program.  Honestly folks, if the goal is to protect kids from maltreatment in ANY institutionalized-style program or school, this is a far better way to achieve that goal than the proverbial "divide and conquer" tactics and techniques favored by people with a vested interest in manipulating public opinion.

Offline Kiwi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »
Nice to see a discussion that actually shines a light on issues of interest to people who appreciate hearing all points of view

Well, actually I am interested in Christopher's point of view.  Maybe he hasn't replied because this was pushed off the bottom of the page by the spammers or maybe he just got chased off this board.

Chris, if you are still out there would you kindly answer Deborah's questions above?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »
Maybe he hasn't replied because this was pushed off the bottom of the page by the spammers or maybe he just got chased off this board.

Actually, it was bumped by the so-called "spammer" And if he WAS "run off the board" then avast ye' mateys, & full speed ahead! Batter up, Chris...don't be nervous...only thousands are watching.. :smokin:  :skull:  :cool:

Offline Christopher Riner

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »
Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, I have to study like four hours out of class for every hour I am in there... I am writing a paper right now but I will be posting more in a few hours about my experience and everyone's questions and whatnot.  As for the stories I was referring to other kids spreading- I meant ones about abuse.  The only times I have heard kids talk about abuse were all through anonymous posts on here or elsewhere.  I never heard anyone tell me about their abuse while we were all in there- but I know they are saying tons nowadays

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2004, 08:31:00 PM »
I for one am interested in Christopher's experiences.It is good to know not all of the children were mistreated.I believe they were all aware of the mistreament of the kids by staff,but then upper levels were the staff ,therefore they too were issueing consequences.

Is it possible to be so indifferent to kids having to be in OP or kneel for hours and NOT consider that wrong? To know some kids were constantly the chosen picked upon kid and not know it?

I would like to better understand.

There is a lot to gain being an upper level Jr. leader.

I think some kids are not prepared to sell their souls to achieve that place within the system.
Therefore they are sent to Jamaica.

I would appreciate Christopher having an opportunity to share without being treated disrespectfully.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »
Playing the Devil's Advocate here ... in the spirit of trying to make some sense outta all this:

Isn't it at least understandable that upper level kids would be indifferent b/c they most likely endured the same consequences, sometimes multiple times, and after awhile came to view this miserable experience as necessary (not justified) for their own "turnaround"?

Isn't it HIGHLY probably that upper level kids after being in a program long enough come to view themselves as superior to the new phases, who have not "paid their dues" (read suffered) as long as they have? That showing compassion could be read as a weakness?  A sign that they have not truly INTERNALIZED the program's values and beliefs?

Wouldn't most kids, if given the chance, quit the program and get the hell outta dodge, if they knew their parents would not hold it against them?

Kids are not born sadists.  But power is intoxicating.  Those who abuse their power and become sadistic are truly the damaged ones.