Author Topic: Have you read the CEDU novel?  (Read 5499 times)

Offline PJG

• View Profile
Have you read the CEDU novel?
« on: November 06, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
It's called THE DISCARDED ONES:A NOVEL BASED ON A TRUE STORY by James Tipper. I got mine on Nook, but it's everywhere (amazon etc.) I thought it was awesome. He's a former student who is now a horror writer and musician (according to his website) and his writing is excellent. I went to CEDU a few years after he did and reading this book was exactly like being there again. I bought a copy for my family members and friends so they could finally understand what happened so many years ago. I talk and talk about it, but this book says it all. Just FYI!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Have you read the CEDU novel?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
I just bought a kindle copy.  I'll let you know what I think.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
Hey Psy, you mind sharing that kindle copy with me? I'd buy it myself, but a lack of a credit card is proving problematic.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »
psy wrote :
> I just bought a kindle copy.  I'll let you know what I think.

You've been busy while in France!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQcFBCovBnk
?©?€~¥@

Offline Loli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
Is the book positive negative or neutral, because if it implies that CEDU is at all beneficial, I have no intention of reading it. That place was therapeutic fraud.  I want a book I can send my parents.

Offline my heart is an idiot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »
I just bought it. Anyone interested in talking about 21st century CEDU I would like to hear from you. Email me.

Offline PJG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
I LOVED it. It is not about being positive or negative. It is about accuracy. That is what is so cool about it. The author puts you there, holds you there, and doesn't let you come up for air. If it was just a book about belly-aching it would be boring. What makes it so readable is that it is like a time machine: he just lays it all out there and you feel what you feel. Funny you mention "abook to give my parents". That's EXACTLY what I did. It's going in some other stocking I can think of too. Time for the ultimate reality check.

Offline Awake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 01:40:45 AM »
James Tipper somehow managed to make a cultish experience reachable to the unacquainted in The Discarded Ones. I think those who attended CEDU may be surprised as well. This was the case for myself. The book accomplishes what the author suggested. A very great book regarding the CEDU program and gratifying all around. I am FULL of questions.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:07:47 AM »
It was very good, but if anybody was expecting something sensational, it wasn't that.  It told things like they happened and let the reader decide whether they were over the line or not. I think that's a much better approach than trying to convince a person to view something in a certain way.  Just present the facts, and let them stand for themselves.  The author did a very good job of that.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
Quote from: "Loli"
Is the book positive negative or neutral, because if it implies that CEDU is at all beneficial, I have no intention of reading it. That place was therapeutic fraud.  I want a book I can send my parents.

loli, If I may make a suggestion, you should consider accepting other people’s opinions and view points.  You may see that many people share similar experiences but different outcomes.  For what it is worth, from a parent’s perspective, if a child told me that there was not one thing positive about their time in a program or that they could not think of one thing that was negative I would suspect them of being disingenuous.

If you took a more open minded approach and met your parents half way I think they would be more receptive to listening to your experiences and understanding what you went through at CEDU, if that is truly one of your goals.