Author Topic: Mom of Lost Dundee Student Grateful to Tico Samaritan  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mom of Lost Dundee Student Grateful to Tico Samaritan
« on: June 06, 2003, 10:42:00 AM »
http://www.ticotimes.net/newsbriefs.htm

Weekly Edition: Vol. VIII, No.69- San José, Costa Rica, June 6 - June 12, 2003

Mom of Lost Dundee Student
Grateful to Tico Samaritan

It's not every day you see a scared 16-year-old Gringo trying to flag down passing cars at 2 a.m. And it's not everyone who would stop his car on a darkened street to ask if everything is okay.

But that's just what Costa Rican father Isaac Wabe did May 20, when he passed Cody Crawford wandering down the streets of San Pedro, east of the capital. And Robin Crawford says she owes her son's life to the Tico samaritan.

Cody, a former student at Dundee Ranch Academy, escaped from a Child Welfare (PANI) shelter in San Pedro shortly after being taken there May 20, following the government intervention of the U.S.-run behavior-modification program in the central Pacific town of Orotina. Cody and three other Dundee students asked to be taken to the shelter when government agents arrived at the remote ranch to investigate allegations of physical and emotional abuse. The visit sparked violent rioting among many of the kids, and 35 students ran away.

The facility has since been closed and its 200 U.S. students sent home or relocated to sister programs in Jamaica and the U.S. (TT, May 22, 30.)

Afraid that he would become a forgotten orphan in Costa Rica, Cody sneaked out of the PANI shelter shortly before midnight in hopes of seeking help from the U.S. Embassy. With no change of clothes, no money, no working knowledge of Spanish and no idea where he was, he set out with only a small photo album of his family and the scribbled address of the embassy.

HAPPY ending: Cody (second from left) with sister Ashley, rescuer Wabe, mother Robin.
Tico Times/Julio Laínez
After wandering in circles through San Pedro for three hours, the teenager - whose home town, ironically, is Dundee, Oregon - was robbed of his empty wallet by two young men at gunpoint. Desperate, scared and lost, he began to flag passing cars, until Wabe happened by.

"He stopped me on the road and asked me if I spoke English," remembered Wabe, a 43-year-old father of two boys. "I said yes, and he said he needed help; he needed a safe place to spend the night."

After taking Cody to his mother's house in San Pedro, Wabe - who lives with his wife and younger son in the mountain town of Aserrí, southeast of San José - said he fed the disoriented teenager and offered him a spare bed for the night. The next morning, Wabe - who says Cody reminds him of his teenage son who lives in Florida - helped Cody call his mother in Oregon. Mrs. Crawford, a part-time court clerk, wired money to Wabe to buy her son clothes and food, and made plans to arrive in Costa Rica the following week.

But the teenager, sent to Dundee Ranch last April for substance-abuse problems, soon found his Costa Rican odyssey was just beginning.

Cody said he got bored sitting around with Wabe's family, with whom he couldn't communicate, and asked Isaac permission to go to the movies at the Mall San Pedro, promising to take a taxi back to the mother's house afterwards.

When the movie ended, Cody said he decided to save his taxi money and walk back to his adoptive family's home. He promptly got lost when he tried to "take a short cut through the jungle," obliging Wabe to make a late-night phone call to Mrs. Crawford to inform her that her son was missing again.

"It started raining and I ended up sleeping in the jungle; I had to dig under the leaves to get out of the rain," Cody recalled. Based on his account, it is not clear where he spent the night. "I eventually found a small town and got a store owner to let me use his phone to call my mom collect."

After Mrs. Crawford relayed the phone message back to Wabe, the helpful Tico - whose taxi was recently stolen - had to borrow money from his mother and take a taxi to search for the errant youth. Wabe eventually found Cody shirtless, filthy and famished in the district of Cipreses, east of San José.

By the time the Judicial Investigative Police (OIJ) issued a missing-persons report for Cody last Friday, he was already back with his mother and 14-year-old sister Ashley, who arrived in Costa Rica May 29.

Cody said he had asked Wabe not to inform anyone here about his whereabouts, out of fear that he would be returned to Dundee Ranch. Wabe, who had been following Dundee's problems in the local press, agreed, despite his family's concerns that they would get in trouble with authorities.

"My mother thought I was going to get in trouble with the police, but I wasn't scared because I knew from news reports that they were going to close Dundee, and Cody's mother had granted me the power to take care of her child; she had sent me a copy of his passport and birth certificate," Wabe told The Tico Times this week.

In a letter to Wabe and his family, Mrs. Crawford wrote: "Thank you for finding my lost son and taking him into your home and safety. You became like a father to him, watching and protective. Costa Ricans like you show how great this wonderful country is."
"I would have gotten him a cooler card," joked Cody, who is razzed by his sister for acting like Huckleberry Finn.

Although the wandering youth was in good spirits this week, he was admittedly shaken by the events of the last 10 days.

"When I went to Dundee, I was promised that nothing else would happen to me," he said, referring to the safe environment the academy advertised. "Now the biggest thing in my life just happened, with the rioting and staff beating kids. It is so crazy what has happened to me, it doesn't seem real. This was a big thing for me."

As Cody and the other 200 students removed from Dundee struggled to understand the events of the last couple of weeks, Mrs. Crawford met with Prosecutor Marielos Alfaro Wednesday and filed two criminal complaints against Dundee owner Narvin Lichfield and four former staff members, alleging abuse, computer theft and misrepresentation of the services Dundee offered troubled teens. At the request of the prosecutor, Cody met Wednesday with a forensic psychiatrist and is scheduled to testify next week before a judge. Mrs. Crawford said a former Dundee staff member - Cody's favorite at the academy - was also at the prosecutor's office offering declarations Wednesday.

Alfaro told The Tico Times this week that she now has depositions from two former students, and is waiting for others to return to Costa Rica to offer testimony.

Meanwhile, an underground parents' network opposed to Dundee Ranch's "tough-love" tactics - including the reported use of physical restraints and solitary confinement and the alleged drugging of students - has raised funds to bring six former students back to Costa Rica to testify against Lichfield. The group reportedly is meeting with a large California law firm to study the possibility of filing a class-action lawsuit against the WorldWide Association of Specialty Programs (WWASP) - the behavior modification umbrella under which Dundee Ranch operated.

Lichfield, who was jailed May 25 for 24 hours on allegations of coercion, rights abuse, and detaining children against their will, said this week that the "skeleton staff" remaining at Dundee is working to repair damage caused by vandalism during the riot and recreate the students' transcripts. He hopes the academy will be able to reopen in two months, after making the changes it needs to get legal.

"It has just been a nightmare," he told The Tico Times this week.

Lichfield and his Costa Rican wife Flory Alvarado are prohibited from leaving the country for the next six months while the prosecutor investigates and decides whether or not to file charges.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »
OK, now, I suppose you'll have to add to your list of alleged liars Isaac Wabe, this mother and her son (not to mention every other former program parent who also says the ads are extremely misleading), the Tico Times (all of them? Editors, delivery boys and all, or just the journalist???)

But, if that's what it takes to keep the faith, by God I know you'll find the strength and forbearance to do it! Cause that's just how WWASP parents are! You'll stick by your snake oil salesmen to the bitter end. After all, who else in the world would condone your sadistic bent toward child rearing? (nobody.....)

"The Libertarian Party is a coalition of those who hold dear the economic freedoms championed by conservatives, yet abandoned by Republicans, and the civil freedoms championed by liberals, yet abandoned by Democrats."

--Rick Root

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »
hi im from Costa Rica and im interested about the recently information of ranch dundee
thanks

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 07:25:00 PM »
Hmmm.  Seems to me that this boy's choices did not serve him well.  I would assume that is not abnormal considering that he was in Dundee in the first place.  Well rounded, level headed, responsible kids have no need for a 'yough love facillity.  I don't see how nobody can notice that he chose to leave for the shelter.  He decided to run from the shelter.  I'm in no way discounting the fact that his experience was scary, lost in a foreign country robbed hitchhiking, etc.  But wheather anyone wants to look at it or not, he brought it all on his heal all by himself.  He left the shelter on his own.  He was lucky enough to find someone very UN-TedBundy-ish to give him a place to stay and help him contact his parents.  He chose to leave cause he was 'bored' for the movies.  He decided to save his taxi $ to walk in unfamiliar territory no less.  Not so bright, maybe not quite thought through.  So, I'm lost at the point of the article.  I read that some kid made a string of really lame choices that caught him a raft of terrible experiences---self inflicted--and since there happens to be a scandal, WHY NOT BLAME IT ON THAT.  Then nobody would know he was just really irresponsible....
(Here's for those getting in religious debates.)

JEEESUS
 ::boohoo::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »
Meanwhile, an underground parents' network opposed to Dundee Ranch's "tough-love" tactics - including the reported use of physical restraints and solitary confinement and the alleged drugging of students - has raised funds to bring six former students back to Costa Rica to testify against Lichfield. The group reportedly is meeting with a large California law firm to study the possibility of filing a class-action lawsuit against the WorldWide Association of Specialty Programs (WWASP) - the behavior modification umbrella under which Dundee Ranch operated.

------------------------------------------------

Any updates on what happened with the investigation?  What about the class-action?  If not for this article, I would not have realized it has been almost 1 year since this incident occured.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 09:20:00 PM »
FYI  Jeeesus,

This boy is mildly autistic.He should never had been in a facility at Dundee in the first place.

Someone may have told him mommy they provide therapy,quaility care for kids with his needs.

They would would never ever lie about something as important as the quality care that is provided.(sarcasm intended)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 11:41:00 PM »
Amberly acted thereafter in complete bad faith and a total lack of integrity and what has happened since is just more of the same and doesn?t surprise any of us that actually worked with her...everything bears its own fruit and all are eventually revealed in the light of day...by the way any and all restrictions on Mr. Lichfield in Costa Rica are off and the prosecutor has publicly stated that there is no evidence of Mr. Lichfield abusing any one...and the pani 15 points has been declared illegal and void by their own lawyer in fact...  Pani is before the supreme court of Costa Rica being denounced for its handling of this whole affair?. wherein heresy and e-mail allegations made by a non-custodial parent like sue flowers whose own daughter in front of the judge who is now denouncing Mr. Vargas for his abuse of power, said that her mothers allegations where false.... was accepted and put an innocent man in jail overnight, slandered him world wide in the press over false allegations, destroyed a business that employed 90 people who truly cared for the kids in their care. But truth will soon find its way it always does and the players will be seen as they truly are I enclose the following article in the tico times hardly a Dundee sympathizer on what happened. Also a time line of events as documented by two parents not affiliated with wwasp who tell their own story but of course it wasn?t salasous enough for any in the press But will be good for the law suits that will soon follow?

Making ?Tough Love? Consistent with Costa Rica Tico times Tue, 27 May 2003
This week?s intervention by the Child Welfare Office (PANI) at Dundee Ranch Academy was an overdue yet poorly executed effort to bring Costa Rican law to bear on a facility that operates in this country.
Officials at PANI have long known about the complaints from students and a small minority of parents over conditions at the discipline-heavy school, a for-profit enterprise that describes itself as a "behavior modification program."
But not until this week, when some local Spanish-language media began reporting on the issue, did PANI show any resolve to action. And in mishandling the situation in an attempt to save face with the Costa Rican public, the conditions of these troubled teenagers may have only been worsened.
There is no doubt that these "tough-love" facilities, and Dundee is not alone among them here, must be monitored and held accountable to the standards of Costa Rican laws. This includes sanitary conditions, educational programs and physical treatment of the students.
Some parents and other observers see nothing wrong with Dundee operating here as it would were it in the United States. But enclaves ? areas exempt from the laws of the nation that hosts them ? no longer exist in Costa Rica.
Whatever violations of Costa Rican regulations Dundee may have committed, the gross negligence of the way local officials handled Tuesday?s "inspection" may be just as egregious.
By all accounts, adult supervisors were spirited away from the youths so that local officials could "inform" the students of their rights under Costa Rican law. What was apparently missing from this rupture of the stern discipline was an explanation that rights go hand-in-hand with responsibilities.
Naturally, the students, told the school rules did not apply to them, took it to mean that no rules apply to them. The resulting vandalism, violence and ugliness that ensued ? not to mention the risks to the lives of the kids who ran away ? may well have had their roots in the repression the students are subject to, but the chaos was set off by Costa Rican authorities who were acting only to allay domestic political pressure.
If Dundee is to operate in Costa Rica, its students must be allowed the same rights as all children in the country. Just because parents want them disciplined does not mean the laws of the country end at the school gates.
Had Dundee operated under that premise ? and had Costa Rican officials thought things out before acting ? the images of "Lord of the Flies"-style anarchy would not have reared their heads on the controversial campus this week.

June 24, 2003

To Whom it May Concern:

It is with pleasure that I am writing this letter to discuss my experience with The Academy Dundee Ranch and the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs.  I am a parent who had the make the most difficult decision of my life to place my son in a program school.  We ran out of options here and  found that there was little, in fact no assistance from any local  authority or hospital; in fact, there was no program like this  available to assist my son and my family through this very difficult  journey that would allow for us to stay together while we were going through this difficult time.

My son was unmanageable at home.  We were in therapy on an on-going basis, psychiatric hospitals and special camps to assist defiant teens. We found that our whole family was affected and the behaviors that my son was exhibiting were carrying over to his little sister despite our steadfast efforts to maintain a home with a strong value
system.  I am not a stay at home Mom, but I was able to work my schedule around the school and therefore was home by the time my son returned home from school.  He did not go without constant supervision, but we still were not able to manage his behaviors.  We could see that he was slipping away and were very concerned for his future.  I looked at many different types of boarding schools and finally decided on a school that specialized in working heavily with the entire family and not just the teen who was in trouble.  That school is the Academy Dundee Ranch in Costa Rica.  I must say that I feel that not only my son's life was saved, but that all of our lives were saved and have  became more meaningful than I could have ever imagined.  I attribute all of this to my son?s work at The Academy Dundee Ranch and our work as a family through the programs and seminars provided by ADR and the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs.

Anyone who has not been through this experience or has a relationship with someone who has been through this experience may have a difficult time understanding how we could take such "extreme measures".  It may  seem that way to those who are not in a situation like ours, but let  me assure you that my experience is that the best parents are those  who will do absolutely anything and everything in their power to help  their children.  I speak with parents almost each day who have a troubled teen or teen in trouble, and they are afraid for their teen's life and future.  In cases like this, how can we not make the choice to get our teen into this program or a program like this.  On the
 other side of the coin, one would certainly pass extreme judgment on  us as parents if we DID NOT get our teen into a safe environment where  they could not hurt themselves or someone else.  I guess one would have to ask the question, "just how dead do you want your kid to be?"  We must all wake up and see that there is a serious problem in this and other countries.  I don't think  I would be too extreme to classify the growing problem with troubled  teens as an emergency that needs to be addressed by all- not just the  families who are in crisis.

My son?s work at The Academy Dundee Ranch was comprised of many different facets all designed to create the motivation for change.  Martin was given the opportunity to be involved in leadership roles at the school, participated in several plays in the Drama Department, acted as a hope buddy for newer kids, graduated the Discovery, Focus, PC1, Breakpoint and Accountability seminars and overall gained many tools designed to assist him is a successful and meaningful life style.  As a result, Martin achieved a 3.71 GPA and was scheduled to take the SAT?s at the age of 16.  He now has fewer than 3 ½ credits left to graduate high school and has decided to become an Aerospace Engineer.  I can safely say that his level of self confidence is higher than ever and he was soaring as a result of the work he has done in this program.  

For a long time Martin was one of the kids who was in heavy resistance to change and the caring staff at ADR worked tirelessly to get him to a place where he could discover
Letter ? Page 2
Anita Freedman

his unlimited potential and begin to tap into it in a working way.  He was never mistreated and always given the opportunity to start over when it was necessary.  I was able to see Martin at PC1 in January and then again in May of this year for 7 days.  I received mail regularly both from regular mail deliveries and also from email at least once if not twice and sometimes three times a week.  It was clear that Martin was free to write whatever he felt by virtue of his letters which were always open and expressed his feelings. My son reports that not only have NONE of the allegations about the facility ever happened to him, he wishes to return to ADR to continue his program.  I know that there are many students who feel the same way.  My son was thriving, his self esteem was back as well has his smile that I had not seen in years!

Mr. Vargus and the PANI staff who came into the Academy and stated that the kids were free to leave the school and did not have to follow the rules of the school or the instruction of the staff which I gave full authority to act on my behalf as a parent, caused a great deal of harm not just to my child who was progressing so nicely but also to so many other students and their families.  Mr. Vargus, whose position it is to carry out the laws, actually knowingly endangered the life of my minor child.  He did this without any warning and certainly usurped my authority as a parent.  This willful act was in direct violation of Article 5 of the United Nations Convention on children.  He went into my son?s school and stated that the minor students did not have to be there and did not have to follow any rules set forth by the school.  Not only was my son put in direct danger by out of control students who were acting on the directives of Mr. Vargus, only time will tell of the emotional damage that has taken place as a result of Mr. Vargus?s actions.  So far, there is substantial damage, both emotional and financial and it continues to unfold.  Additionally, Mr. Vargus stood by and watched as laws were being broken by said children that he was charged to protect.  Some of the children were not only endangering their own lives, but also the lives of others.  The staff was remanded from doing anything to offer direction and protection and as a result, there was physical destruction to the school, students were injured and my son personally witnessed other students breaking the law, engaging in illicit acts among many other things.  My son and  the staff members were powerless to do anything to protect themselves based on Mr. Vargus?s clear directives and armed law enforcement to back him up.  

To sum up, I can safely say that my son was progressing towards a future filled with love, happiness and success as a result of the work he has done at The Academy Dundee Ranch.  His work was disrupted in such a negative way.  He would be most willing to return to The Academy Dundee Ranch when it re-opens and would love to continue his program there.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any additional information.

Sincerely,
Anita G. Freedman
770-263-7161 home

Academy at Dundee Ranch Timeline of Observations and Experiences

Jan Bezuidenhout
H: 303.773.0982
W: 303.860.9915
C: 720.436.2738
P: 303.380.7896
E-mail: [email protected]

I am the mother of Eva Bezuidenhout (age 14), who was a level 4 student in the Diamond family when the events that resulted in the temporary closure of the program occurred. I  arrived in Costa Rica on May 8th.  My purpose was to staff three seminars with my daughter, and enjoy three days off campus with her. Prior to the series of events that are described in the following pages, my experiences at Dundee were very positive.  I was permitted to go wherever I wanted to go, without staff escort. I was allowed to talk with any student.  I ate with the kids in the dining hall and even slept and showered at the facility one night.  I did not observe anything that could be described as abusive or harmful to kids in any way.  Certainly, there are lower level students who hate the tight structure and wish they were at home, engaged in the behaviors that got them to Dundee in the first place.  My experience of all of the upper level students, and many of the lower level students is that they truly value the tools they have acquired during their stay in the program. They have gained knowledge and experience that will work for them throughout their lives.  They know that they are facing a bright future when they go home.

On a slightly humorous note, I had been thinking that the ?story? I would have to tell about my trip to Costa Rica was about being attacked by monkeys while Eva and I were hiking in Manual Antonio Park.  In retrospect, that seems very tame!

Sunday May 18th

Narvin and Flory approached me at the end of PC 1 and asked me to extend my stay in Costa Rica so I could go with Eva and some other parents and children to talk with people at the American Embassy about our view of the program.  I agreed and made arrangements to stay on.  Narvin and Flory said that a local newspaper called Al Dia had been writing inflammatory articles about ADR, so concerns were high. They said that Al Dia is the Costa Rican equivalent of National Enquirer They said that the articles had to do with a woman named Su Flowers, non-custodial parent of Nicole, who wanted her daughter out of the program and told various sources that Nicole said that she was being abused by staff.

Nicole had been a participant in a Focus seminar that I staffed.  My experience of her is that she is really ?working? and wants to be in the program.

Monday May 19th

A group of parents, students and staff from Dundee met with Steven Hunsucker of the American Embassy. Present were co-directors Fran and Harold, Anita and her son Martin, Terry and her son Matt, Rod and Kate and the son Phil, me and my daughter Eva. We all described our experiences of the program as very positive.  The kids testified that they had been on a really dangerous track at home and felt the program had saved their lives. We addressed issues of alleged abuse, quality of food, overcrowding, restricted communications and ?brainwashing?.  The US representative listened politely and attentively.  He did comment that the Embassy may be limited in the role they can play since the laws of Costa Rica apply and local regulatory agencies have a right / obligation to enforce them.

I brought Eva back to school about 8:30 p.m.  My plan was to go back to San Jose and get on a plane back to Denver at 7:15 the next morning. Narvin and Flory approached me and shared that a letter from PANI had been delivered to a person at the front gate of the school at about 6:30. Apparently PANI has been investigating the program for several months.  The letter outlined 15 specific concerns.  Dundee was given 24 hours to respond and declare their intentions in writing, and 30 days to fix the problems described. Narvin and Flory requested that I extend my stay to assist in formulating the response to PANI.  I agreed to do so.

I stayed up until about 3:00 a.m. formulating a strategy with the ownership and management group.  In essence, we decided that we should work closely with PANI to find a win/win solution to the issues at hand.  I helped draft a letter from Narvin to PANI describing our intent and providing our perspective on the issues outlined.  There was some disagreement on media strategy.  I thought our interests would be best served if we tried to build a coalition based on caring about kids.  Another individual felt strongly that Al Dia would not be open to this approach.  We also talked about a media strategy, coalition building with other American companies operating in Costa Rica, and we discussed communications with parents.  Consensus was not reached.

Tuesday, May 20th

We were back at work at about 5:00 the next morning.  We were working on ?the letter?, thinking that we would create some breathing room so the identified problems could be solved creatively and appropriately. We completed the document just before noon.  The text follows:

To Whom It May Concern:
We are in receipt of your letter detailing worries about conditions at Academy at Dundee Ranch. We wish to thank your for your concern about the well being of our children, and assure you that we intend to partner with you to guarantee service of the highest possible quality to the troubled teens entrusted to our care, and the parents who love them dearly. We believe that abundant opportunity exists for collaboration and ultimate resolution of the factors currently identified as problems, as well as others that may arise in the future. Our goal is to develop and maintain a mutually trusting and respectful relationship between ADR, PANI, other appropriate regulatory bodies, the media and, most importantly, the students and families we serve. We f eel certain that every identified individual and entity is at the proverbial table because of what unites us, not what may appear to divide us. We all care deeply about our kids.
You requested immediate response to concerns described in your letter. While we believe the issues to be complex, and deserving of extensive and ongoing conversation, we are absolutely willing to cooperate with you, in the spirit of partnership. Here are our thoughts about some of the key issues:
1.   Limitations of our physical plant: It is certainly true that sleeping conditions at ADR are crowded. To a large extent, the decision to limit privacy is based upon years of accumulated data indicating that people, especially people whose historical behaviors indicate that they are entrenched in non-working patterns, do not learn and do not change when they are completely comfortable. As students move through are program they are afforded many additional privileges, including increased privacy.   
2.    Availability and adequacy of adult supervision and guidance: Approximately two hundred students are enrolled at ADR. Eighty-five adults are employed by the facility, in varying capacities. Most people would agree that this ratio of 1:2.35 is healthy indeed. Depending on position and responsibility, staff members have differing amounts of formal education and life experience working with troubled teens. Our employment philosophy is simple. We "hire the heart, train the skill and trust the person". Additionally, the Academy at Dundee Ranch invites students who have achieved "upper-level" status to serve as junior staff members. This practice enhances safety and consistency for young people who are further from program completion, while providing young leaders with an unparalleled opportunity to influence others in a positive and life affirming way. Additionally, licensed professionals trained to address the physiological and psychological health concerns of students are absolutely available. A nurse is on duty 24 hours per day to provide triage services. A physician, a psychologist, and dentist are available as needed, and students can access other specialists too.

3.    Restricted communication between students and parents: At no point in the program are students prohibited from communicating with their parents in written form. Letters are never censored. We strongly recommend restriction of verbal communication until children reach level three and have earned the privilege of telephone communication with their parents. In person visits are strongly discouraged until a seminar called PC 1. However, parents are always encouraged to visit the campus and when they do so they are given free reign. They are permitted to talk with any student and visit any part of the facility. Please see item number one for philosophical framework.
4.   Inadequacy of food provided: Students are served three nutritious, robust meals per day. The menu is somewhat repetitive, and bland in comparison to the fast food frenzy many students experienced prior to their arrival at ADR. Food is never withheld as a consequence for non-working behavior, although variety is occasionally restricted to encourage students entrenched in self-destructive behavior patterns to reconsider the choices they are making. Most parents remark that their children seem very healthy in comparison to the way they looked when they were at home.
5.    Inadequate Educational Standards: The United States based Northwest Association of Colleges as Schools attests to the educational standards at the Academy at Dundee Ranch by providing full accreditation. Our program is "self paced". Students are guided and encouraged to progress at a rate that best suits their individual academic needs. Please note that the' International Convention on the Rights of the Child' fully affirms the right of each family to select a nontraditional educational approach that suits the individual needs of the child. Many ADR and WWASP students who failed in traditional learning environments have thrived within the educational framework we provide, and have gone on to pursue additional studies and successful careers.
6.    Physical Abuse of Students: The Academy at Dundee Ranch policy about physical abuse and restraint is very clear. Under no circumstance is a student to be hurt in any way. We do have something called "Observation Placement" and "Work Sheets", described and highlighted in the attached staff manual.   In the event that harm is alleged, an incident report is generated and reviewed by the senior management group. These reports are absolutely available for your review.   In fact, we respectfully request that your office consider receiving such reports at the time they are generated, and conducting an independent investigation if you deem that meritorious. This is an area of particular concern for us at ADR, given the historical patterns of dishonesty, abuse and violence at home that many students experience prior to enrolling at ADR.
7. Questions Regarding ADR's Compliance with Costa Rican Laws and Regulations: The Academy at Dundee Ranch is dedicated to providing care of the highest possible quality to students and families. We embrace regulatory guidance as an opportunity to enhance the quality of our service to others. Clearly, there has been confusion around expectations held by PANI, MEP and MS. You may recall that authorities at ADR came to see you prior to opening ADR. We were told in no uncertain terms that as an American corporation, serving American students, there were no Costa Rican laws that would apply to our operations. We have no objections whatsoever to working within the framework of Costa Rican laws and regulations. We respectfully request that you guide us to appropriate codes and rules.

The Academy at Dundee Ranch ownership group, staff and an informal advisory board (comprised of parents and community members) clearly understands that conditions at the school appear harsh at first glance. This program, based on a model operating successfully in multiple locations, is rigorous by design. We invite you to consider the very special needs of the population we serve. Students at ADR come from a variety of backgrounds and present with a diversity of problems. One constant is clear. These children were in very deep trouble before they arrived at Dundee. They failed to respond in any kind of normal or typical way to interventions provided by caring and well-intentioned individuals within a multitude of systems and institutions.   In spite of near heroic efforts, they refused to accept help offered by families, schools, churches and other religious organizations, the criminal justice system, mental health service providers and more. Children are typically are depressed and self-loathing when they arrive at ADR, as evidenced by a history of dangerous and self-denigrating behaviors that clearly indicate very poor self-esteem and myriad other problems. It is common for parents of boys and girls at Academy at Dundee Ranch and sister WWASP programs around the globe to claim, "This program saved my child's life!" Many parents have told me that they thought the above-mentioned claim was a wild exaggeration when they first heard it, and now concur without hesitation.
Unusual conditions require unusual responses. One thing is clear, and reflected hundreds of times over in student and parent testimonials. This program, as difficult as it initially appears, works wonders once participants make the choice to engage and embrace new opportunities. Graduates of ADR and other WAASP programs - people who were once considered "hopeless" by mainstream society - now look forward to bright futures as they bring the tools they have learned to their own lives, families and communities.
I have taken the liberty of enclosing a copy of the handbook we provide to all families prior to the enrollment of their son or daughter at ADR. I'm sure that it will be evident to you that we communicate clearly and unambiguously with our families about what they can and should expect from our program. They know that conditions will be challenging (although never abusive) for the kids until the kids decide that it is time to regain control of their lives and create the positive results they know they deserve. Without exception, parents make an informed choice to place their children in our environment. Additionally, parents have a right to remove their children from the program at any time if they feel that the environment is not well suited to the needs of the child.

In closing, I urge you to consider the following as you determine the next steps in this investigation. Sometimes the patterns of avoidance, manipulation and blame are deeply ingrained in families, and could be factors that contributed to the need to place the child in a n unfamiliar environment to begin with. I f eel strongly t hat all voices need to be heard, and all factors need to be considered. I also encourage you, in your capacity of guardian of the rights and well being of children, to consider the possibility that complaints your office may receive are a reflection of the underlying problems that created the situation in which parents sought program placement for their children.
Thank you again for your concern about our children. We truly look forward to a collaborative relationship that will better conditions and outcomes for all.
With Deep Respect and Gratitude,
Narvin Litchfield,
President / CEO
Academy at Dundee Ranch

I was having lunch out in the driveway with Eva at about 12:45 when several vehicles pulled up.  About 20 people came on to campus.  One truck blocked the driveway so people could not enter or exit by car. An armed, non-uniformed officer stayed with that car.  I eventually learned that the people present represented the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Education, PANI and the District Attorney?s office. (Note ? I personally asked many of these people who they were and most, including Fernando Vargas, Fiscal de Atenas refused to provide that information) A small group of people went to talk with staff about the Nicole Deniken case.  Another group of two uniformed officers and a videographer wandered around campus shooting lots of footage.

At about 3:15, Nicole was called into the office.  A judge was present.  I did not experience what was going on first hand.  I was told (by Nicole later that afternoon, in addition to staff members) that Nicole stated that she had not been abused, felt that she had benefited from the program and wished to stay. Nicole was allowed to stay on campus.

Shortly before 4:00, staff members were told to bring all the kids to the dining hall. They (staff) were instructed to stand 50 meters away during the discussion.  A group of armed police officers assured that staff kept their distance. I approached a woman from PANI.  I do not know her name.  I explained that I am the mother of a child in the program and that I do not work for the program. I asked her for permission to stay with the kids and she consented.  Mr. Fernando Vargas approached me and told me to leave.  I refused, explaining my role and reason for being present.  He shook his finger in my face and yelled ?Mommy, you get the hell out of here!?  I left and went to the office of the female family reps, where I called the emergency line at the American Embassy and began reporting what I was seeing.  Less than ten minutes after Mr. Vargas began to speak to the kids, the upper level students emerged from the room. The lower level students were given paper to write down all of their complaints. According to some upper levels, Mr. Vargas informed all the kids that the school was operating in violation of Costa Rican laws.  He allegedly told the students that they were free to leave whenever they wanted to, that they did not have to maintain separation of boys and girls, that they could not be forced to maintain silence, that their right to communicate with parents could not be restricted in any way, that they could not be physically restrained by staff and that upper level students could not have authority to direct or discipline them.  I have heard conflicting reports about exactly what students were told about leaving the campus.  Some students said that they believed PANI would take them out if they wanted to go home.  Others thought they heard that they could just go off on their own.

This meeting ended at about 4:15.  I saw kids pour out of the dining hall onto the front driveway area.  I heard kids yelling and crying.  I saw kids pick up large sticks and broom handles.  I observed upper level students attempting to calm lower level students.  Shortly after the kids were released from the dining hall, an armed officer, motioned (and yelled in Spanish) for me to get off the phone. I hung up.

The officials who had come onto campus at 12:45 left at about 4:30.  My interpretation of what happened is that they saw the chaos they had created and didn?t want to face it.  At that point kids were pretty hysterical.  Many had run away, others had broken into storage and taken things. I saw a boy and a girl out in a field together behind the girls dorms.  It looked to me like they were having sex.  I saw a girl punch a hole through the shower in the girl?s dormitory and cut her arm.  There was a total lack of order. Boys and girls were together.  Staff and upper levels were trying hard to calm kids down and regain some semblance of order, but were not successful at that time.  At some point, they began to tell kids who wanted to run that they were free to leave.  

My experience of what happened over the next few hours is that the situation calmed, but everyone was still really confused about what had happened and what was going to happen.  Some kids who had run away came back.  I have heard that the kids were locked in their dorms.  I can not confirm that.

Between 4:30 and 9:30 I had conversations with dozens of kids. At one point I followed a girl down the road, asking her what she was doing ? where she thought she was going with no passport, no money, no food.  She didn?t even have shoes on!  She told me that she was going to get paid for ?giving head?, just like at home and that is how she intended to survive. Other kids who were running told me that they didn?t have a clue about where they were going ? they just were getting out now that a person in an official capacity had given permission. Some kids who ran and came back told me that they had done some pretty horrendous things while they were gone including stealing and hurting other people.  I saw some kids smoking cigarettes.  One boy told me that the police had given him cigarettes.

Parents of kids who had been out on day passes began to return to the facility at about 8:30.  I think most of them took their kids back out for the night because they were concerned about their safety.

I spoke with Ken and Glenda from WWASP in the early evening and explained what I had witnessed.  I was finally able to post on the BBS about 9:00.

The strategy about responding to these events was not clear.  I experienced a lack of unity amongst the staff and owners (actually, Narvin was out of town but Flory was present). There was no clear alignment about how or what to communicate with parents, for example.  I spoke to several senior team members who indicated their belief that this would blow over and that they should not alarm parents unnecessarily.

I left the school for San Jose at about 9:30 or 10:00 that night, once I felt that the kids remaining had settled down and would be safe during the night.  Prior to leaving, I made arrangements to have six kids, representing the various levels, join me in San Jose the next morning to visit with media and various government officials to share a different perspective of the story. I believe staff contacted the parents to obtain their permission for the kids to go with me.

Wednesday May 21, 2003

I was shocked and upset to see the feature story in the newspaper ?Al Dia?.  The front cover said ESCAPE in huge letters, and there was a photo of kids taking off down the road.  The headline on page three said ?Maltreatment of Youth Has Been Confirmed?. There were more pictures too. I asked the clerk at the front desk of the hotel to translate for me.  It seems like the story is biased and highly inaccurate.

I spoke with Flory at about 9:00.  She was still on campus. She reported that the situation was much calmer than it had been the night before.  She said that all of the kids were being asked to sign an agreement indicating their willingness to stay at Dundee voluntarily and abide by program rules.  I believe she said that the kids who would not sign the agreement would be separated from the rest of the group while the school made arrangements for their transfer to another WWASP program, or trip home.

The six kids (Eva, Blake, Leticia, John, Joel and Steven) arrived in San Jose at about 10:30. We set out to tell our perspective on events.
The American Embassy was very open to what we have to say. We met with a woman named Leyla Ones. She reported that many US Embassy personnel are on the ADR campus today trying to sort out the situation.  My experience is that they are investing a great deal of time and energy in their effort to protect the interests of kids and parents. Unfortunately, their hands are tied because they are here at the invitation of the Costa Rican government and must support Costa Rican Laws.
Channel 7 (Teletica) featured a story about our situation on the 6:00 pm news. The kids did a great job, especially Johel who was the spokesperson. The story was in Spanish so I didn't understand it all, but it seemed fair and neutral.
We spent quite a bit of time with Tim Rogers and a guy named Brian from the Tico Times. They seemed extremely interested in hearing our perspective in the story.  Again, the kids were in full support of the program and testified that their lives have been saved by what they experienced there.
Our most troubling visit was with Ana Leon at PANI. PANI is like child protective services. She described herself as the "Technical Director" of PANI. She affirmed that PANI had been investigating the case of the young woman whose non-custodial parent wants her out of the program. She also affirmed that PANI had written a letter to Dundee outlining 15 points of concern, and giving the school 30 days to fix the problems. That is the letter I described earlier. Ms. Leon also said that what happened yesterday was not the intention of PANI. She stated that the responsibility for the way it was handled could be placed on the shoulders of Fernando Vargas. I'm not sure who he is. I have heard him described as a district attorney, federal prosecutor and judge. He was the person who refused to allow me to stay in the room when he spoke to the kids yesterday.
Ms. Leon told us that PANI would be back at school at about 9:00 tomorrow morning. She said that there is a court order (written by Mr. Vargas I believe) stating that Dundee must fully comply with all Costa Rica laws immediately. As I understand it, that means that the program as it exists now will cease to function. Boys and girls will intermingle, communication can not be restricted in any way, at any time, school can not be self paced, no OP and worksheets, etc... Ms. Leon initially told us that the purpose of tomorrow's visit (all media I talked to will be there by the way) is for PANI to take custody of all the kids. Later in the conversation she got intentionally vague about that. I don't know what will happen.
I spoke with Flory at Dundee at about 4:00. She sounded frightened.  I was left with the impression that things are not yet under control. I informed her about our conversation with Ana Leon at PANI.
It was about 6:30 when we got back to our hotel. A family who had been enjoying a level 4 visit with their son was there.  Their son was with them too.  They had decided to pull him from Dundee.  I honestly don?t remember if they were planning to transfer him to another program or not. The parents and child described a disturbing situation on campus. I'm not going to repeat exactly what they said since I did not witness it first hand.  I will say that their information, coupled with my own observations and experiences, caused me to decide not to return the kids to the school that night.
Thursday, May 22, 2002
The kids and I were disappointed but not surprised to see more unfavorable press coverage this morning.
A van picked the kids up at about 8:00.  I left the hotel about a half hour later. We met up at the Dundee gate at about 10:30.  PANI was not there yet.
Most of the kids who were with me yesterday had not gone on to the campus because they were afraid.  Some said that they thought ?non-working? kids still present on campus might retaliate against them because they had defended the program. Staff who were present assured them that they would be safe on campus, and they returned.
Narvin and Flory were also at the gate when I arrived.  They were talking to Tim Rogers of the Tico Times. They were on their way to the court in Atenas, where Mr. Vargas is the D.A. (or something like that).  I invited myself to tag along with them.  I think the purpose of the visit was to meet up with the attorneys for the school, and register the relationship with the court.
As a side note, I never went onto the campus before going to Atenas.  I gave a member of the staff the key to my rental car just to move the car inside.  I mention this only because the car was gone when I got back, my suitcase had been left in front of the office and no one seemed to know what happened, at least at first.  I think that is indicative of the level of general pandemonium on campus. The care was eventually returned around 8:00 that evening.
Before the legal proceedings began, I spoke privately with Mr. Fernando Vargas.  He told me that the responsibility for what happened on Tuesday belonged to PANI.  He denied that he ordered PANI to take custody of the kids, but said that they might take custody of the program.  He said he had no idea when that might happen.  He restated that there was an open investigation and that the school had 30 days to comply with Costa Rican law as described in the letter that had been delivered to ADR on Monday.  He advised me to take my daughter out of the school right away.  I asked him what I should tell other parents.  He suggested the same message.  He denied that he said ?Mommy, get the hell out of here? to me on Tuesday.  I told him that while I appreciated a series of checks and balances to assure the safety of our children, I had not witnessed anything remotely resembling abuse on campus.  I said that I thought the action taken by government officials ? convening 200 troubled kids, before the conclusion of a formal investigation, telling them that they could leave at any time and that they did not have to follow most of the rules if they stayed ? was bordering on abusive. I also said that I thought it was very irresponsible for officials to leave as soon as the kids began to riot.  In a mocking tone, with a laugh, he told me that I could try to sue him.
Narvin and Flory and their attorneys met in the court with Mr. Vargas at about 11:45.  Narvin invited me in and Mr. Vargas said I could not come in.  There was a screen and not a wall dividing the two spaces, so I listened to the conversation. Narvin was being asked for identifying information.  It sounded very formal. Someone was transcribing. I heard Mr. Vargas listing off charges or accusations that might be brought against Narvin, pending the outcome of the investigation.  Again, it sounded very formal.  They were instructed by Mr. Vargas to be back at a certain time (I think they said 4:00) that afternoon.  I?m not clear what the purpose of a return visit was supposed to be.
On the way back to ADR I asked Raphael Garcia, one of Narvin?s attorneys, about the legality of the document the kids were asked to sign, indicating their willingness to stay in the program and abide by the structure.  He said that if the structure was not in compliance with Costa Rican law, ADR couldn?t implement the structure even if it is what the kids want.  
Also on the way back to campus, we saw a van full of Dundee kids heading in the direction of San Jose.  Multiple people told me that those were kids who refused to sign the consent document and had been temporarily housed in the area that was to become the high impact part of the facility.  I mention this only because that van was apparently turned around by officials and ordered back to Dundee.  I observed about a dozen boys in the van from about 2:30 until officials left at least six or seven hours later.  I was not allowed to go and talk with them.  I don?t know if their basic needs were being met.
Multiple media representatives including Letta Tayler from Newsday, the folks from Teletica, Tico Times, Al Dia and others were on or immediately outside of campus when we got back around 2:00.  After briefly checking conditions on campus (strangely silent and calm), I stayed at the road talking to reporters about my experiences.  My daughter was with me, sharing her perspective too. PANI arrived a short time later. Fernando Vargas and crew arrived shortly after that. The police used crime scene tape to block the road in front of the facility. No one could go in or out.
I?m not totally clear about what happened during the next several hours.  Most Dundee people seemed concerned and confused.  Officials were in the school offices.  They ultimately loaded file cabinets full of kids records and facility computers onto a truck.  Shortly after the group of officials arrived, a mom who had just flown in from Houston arrived on campus.  I know that she and her daughter spoke to the media too.
That mom (Karyn) and I both exchanged strong words with Mr. Vargas, particularly around the passport issue.  It seems that he had intended to take the kid?s passports too.  We were able to get passports belonging to our kids. Several people, including staff members, were able to prevail and assure that no passports were removed from campus with the other documents.
As much as I wished for the chaos to subside and everything to return to ?normal?, I experienced the situation as out of control and irreparable. I concluded for myself that the program could not function effectively under this much distress.  
At about 3:30 or 4:00 I told Narvin that I had decided to pull Eva out of Dundee.  I told him that I absolutely trust the program and the staff.  My daughter has thrived in this environment.  She thinks she would be pregnant and homeless if not dead had she not come to Dundee.  I also told Narvin that based on the events of the past few days; I could not trust the Costa Rican government with my daughter?s safety.  
I was able to contact my husband by phone at around the same time.  I asked him to please get on the BBS and tell parents that things were not OK.  I told him that I believed the place was under siege.
Throughout the afternoon and into the evening the staff was trying to maintain calm.  For the most part, kids were kept away from the office area.  My experience as I walked around campus is that kids were feeling very unsafe and concerned.  Kids reported all kinds of damage, mostly to property, and threats to person.  Many were asking what would happen next.
At about 8:00 Ana Leon from PANI, Narvin and Narvin?s attorney Raphael Garcia spoke to the kids. I thought that the information they provided was incomplete because the situation was chaotic and no one really knew what was going to happen. They told the kids that they (kids) were allowed to leave Dundee by coordinating with parents and family representatives.  Ana Leon from PANI said that she would not be removing kids from the facility tonight. Narvin and Mr. Garcia said that the investigation would probably yield nothing and ultimately operations would return to normal. I thought the words of Mr. Garcia were especially moving.  He talked about feeling ashamed about the way officials of his country had acted in this situation.
The plan was to have a movie night and settle the kids down.
Then Narvin got arrested (I have heard that part of the issue is that he was not back in Atenas at 4:00, as agreed, even though Mr. Vargas was on campus and not available to meet him). That happened at about 8:15. The kids went wild all over again. At that point, Flory declared that the school could not stay open now and the Family Reps should start making arrangements to get kids out. I?m not totally sure what happened over the next few hours.  It was really crazy.  More parents were on campus, kids were desperate to get to the phone (there are only two international lines on campus and those were not working all the time)
Please note that the telephone company in Costa Rica was on strike when all this was going on.
It was close to 10:00 when I left with Eva and three other kids. Things were sort of beginning to calm down.
Friday, May 23, 2003
I was up most of the night talking with parents who are terribly worried about their kids.  Information about where all the kids are and what will happen next is, in my opinion, still unclear.  I don?t think it could be anything but unclear at this point.
At about 10:30 I dropped one boy at the airport for a flight to Miami.  I then went to return the rental car.  I was chased by a police officer on a motorcycle.  I couldn?t understand what he said.  I am not aware that I was breaking a law.
Our plane took off just after 1:00.  There were 40 ? 50 Dundee kids in the airport at that time, headed to a variety of destinations.

There are zillions of other details I could share about what transpired. Most of them don?t matter very much. I?m available to answer questions about my experience. I don?t know all the answers.  I especially can?t answer questions that begin with the word ?Why?. This whole situation has been traumatic for just about everyone who experienced it, whether they were physically present or not.  I?ve just finished transcribing the last of my notes on Wednesday May 28th. I?m still feeling pretty shocked and dazed.
I know that a lot of parents were frustrated by spotty and rapidly changing messages about the situation. Please don't go to blame. Those of us who were present could not figure out what was going on much of the time, let alone convey it immediately to others.
I wish to acknowledge that Narvin, Flory and the entire staff have worked tirelessly throughout this fiasco to protect our kids and their program. The family representatives were amazing! In my book, these people are heroes. My weeks on campus assured me that Dundee personnel love our kids and stand very powerfully them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »
This is a translation from
Al Dia (Costa Rica's spanish paper)
May 21 2003.

An indeterminate number of youth flee Academy
Youth abuse is confirmed
The attorney?s office of Atenas raids the Academy

Over 200 U.S. youth with behavioral problems left the troubled Academy
yesterday after national authorities in Orotina intervened. An
indeterminate number of youth rushed to leave the Academy after being
informed of their rights.

At approximately 9:30 PM last night, the police searched the surrounding
area of Orotina with the purpose of finding the location of several youth
that were still missing.

An investigation conducted by PANI confirmed the alleged physical and
psychological abuse against many under-aged youth interned at the Dundee
Ranch Academy in Cascajal de la Ceiba de Orotina.

This allegation, along with 10 other allegations against fundamental rights
was denounced on Monday by PANI to the attorney?s office of Atenas. The
officers of the ranch were ordered to immediately cease any violations or
threats against 200 or 193 interns at the Academy. (See images)

Fernando Vargas, the attorney for Orotina, 2 investigators from OIJ, and one
judge from Alajuela searched the premises of the Academy yesterday
afternoon. These individuals were accompanied by employees of PANI -
Patronato Nacional de la Infancia (child protection agency) and the Ministry
of Health.

Vargas explained yesterday that the search was based on allegations by Susan
Flowers, mother of Nicole H. Deniken, an intern of the Dundee Ranch, and
allegations from PANI. The search was conducted to enquire about the
violations of the rights of the minors such as violations of liberty and
coercion.

The joint search (raid) by judicial powers, PANI, and the Health ministry
fueled the rushed exit of many youth who felt the support from the law
enforcement agencies. Many youth left the Academy barefoot.

An indeterminate number of youth, some between the ages of 15 and 30,
entered into official vehicles, while others run through the streets and on
through the countryside. Last night, many of the youth returned to the
Academy.

Due to this incident, members of the Police asked the attorney general as to
the course of action to follow. The attorney general explained that they
could not take anybody by force or make the youth enter into the official
vehicles. The youth could go into the custody of PANI and the youth were to
have a choice as to where to go, the authorities could not force the youth
into making any decisions.

Last night, PANI and the attorney general took the custody of 6 minors.

Aid from the U.S. Embassy

Peter Brennan, chief of public relations for the U.S. Embassy informed
yesterday afternoon to the Al Dia that the youth that left the Academy could
call the telephone number 220-3939. The hotline will provide help 24 hours
a day. The youth can also contact the consulate or other personnel.

Brennan explained yesterday that the consulate knew of the actions of the
Costa Rican authorities but not of the abandonment of some of the youth.

Ana Teresa Leon manager of PANI stated last night that there was a measure
taken to ensure the protection for the youth from the Academy, the ages for
the youth are between 15 and 19 years old. The officials at the Academy
have 30 days to rectify the situation.

If within the 30 days, the Academy does not meet the Costa Rican regulations
and the requirements from PANI, the Education Ministry, the Ministry of
Health, and international norms for human rights, the Academy could face
being shut down.

There were attempts to talk with Narvin Lichfield, a U.S. citizen and the
owner of the Academy when he arrived on a moments notice to a meeting in the
Health Centre of Orotina attended by authorities from the Ministry of Health
and PANI. Narvin Lichfield declined to make any comments or talk to this
media. He carried plans and documents, as possible documentation in his
defense.

Dazed and Confused

Youth that fled the Academy yesterday looked horrified and appeared
terrified to look back. The youth were vigilant and on the lookout for
people following them to make them return to the life that they had been
living.

Witnesses of a stampede
Nowhere to go

Justin, Albert, Jen, Matt, Todd, Tyler. Students at the Dundee Ranch
Academy left yesterday at 4:20 PM with the hope of being able to talk to
their parents and to return to their respective homes. Few were able to
achieve their goals.

Those who witnessed the stampede of students could hardly believe the events
that happened.

I was surrounded by law enforcement officers, and even the law enforcement
officers were perplexed at the stressful images. They were trying to
understand why many youth fled from the Academy.

At approximately 1:00 PM, the attorney general raided and searched the
premises of the Dundee Ranch in an intense investigation that tries to
determine if there were human rights violations against the minors. The
investigation also looks to determine charges against privacy and liberty.

After a bad interpretation of the explanations by the attorney general of
Orotina, Fernando Vargas tried to explain to the youth the rights that they
had. Many youth fled the inside of the Academy into the streets.

The rumor quickly spread to the entrance of the Academy. Keysey, a youth
who was in the higher levels of the program and was about to finish the
program the next month asked us if we had seen some of his friends. The
alarm sounded that the first youth fled the premises.

Out of many youths whom I spoke with, keysey was in the small minority who
expressed any interest in returning to such a place.

Following Keysey, Justin and Albert were also looking for friends who had
fled the place. They did not want to remain in the Academy but they did not
want to face the dangers found in the streets of Orotina or the punishments
that many youth faced in the past at the Academy if they were found and
taken back to the Academy.

Jen stated that she had some food in her pocket and wanted to see her dad.
Jen was one of the first 3 youth who fled the place.

16 year old Jen, a native of South Carolina was nervous about her future and
did not want to return to the Academy. Later, Jen was aided by PANI and was
taken to a shelter run by PANI. Jen asked the question if at the shelter
she would be allowed to talk to her parents and that if she had to endure
physical abuse and hits. Along with Jen, Matthew, Todd, and two other
unidentified youths left.

?This is a cage and I cannot stay in this place? stated Todd while on our
surroundings tens of youth left the Academy. The youth were encouraged by
the staff at the Ranch to go into the cars of PANI and the law enforcement
agencies.

It is evident that authorities did not expect certain reactions from the
youth. Many students feared leaving Dundee Ranch because they feared any
reprisals from inside the Academy

The scene of youth leaving the premises did not slow down and the personnel
from the Academy was divided. Some tired to calm the youth while others
encouraged the youth to take to the streets. Many youth were disoriented
and confused with the events and fled barefoot through the large rocky
street without any apparent direction.

Findings

This is only an extract of the arguments from the regional office of PANI in
Alajuela to denounce the violation if rights to the office of the attorney
in Atenas.

The physical premises at the Academy do not meet the conditions to meet the
basic needs of the minors. The premises do not have proper ventilation,
proper lighting, and the premises do not have any privacy.

The nutrition levels are lacking and are not enough to meet the requirements
of the youth. The youth allege that they only received limited quantities
of food, a menu that was not similar to their previous diets, and that the
food hygiene was not very sanitary.

There is a restriction placed on the youth to communicate with family or
other close relatives. By limiting the contact with parents, there is a
creation of distance between the youth and their respective families.

It is noted that the Academy lacks properly trained personnel to take care
of and safeguard the rights of the population.

The immigration issues with many of the youth are not clearly defined. Many
youth do not even know where they are located.

There are punishments that fit the definitions of physical abuse and
psychological abuse. These types of abuse are strictly prohibited under
Costa Rican law.

Some of the types of abuse include isolation and physical restrictions.

The Academy is overpopulated, the place houses more than 200 youth and many
youth sleep on the floor. The sleeping facilities are not convenient, are
uncomfortable, and there is little hygiene in the bathrooms.

Source:
Resolution ratified yesterday, Tuesday at 2:30 PM in the Academy Dundee
Ranch in Orotina

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »
November 28, 2003
Dundee Case Still Worries U.S. Parents
By Tim Rogers
Tico Times Staff
SIX months after the closure of Dundee Ranch Academy, tough-love program owner Narvin Lichfield of Utah once again is a free man.
The restrictions on his freedom, imposed by a Costa Rican judge May 23 following Lichfield?s brief arrest on allegations of children?s rights abuse, expired last Sunday and prosecutor Marielos Alfaro said she doesn?t see a need to request a six-month extension of his prohibition on leaving the country.
Lichfield, who is currently enrolled in Spanish classes as he plans to reopen his academy under a different name and a gentler, therapeutic model, insists he is not going to leave the country to avoid the on-going investigation.
"I am still confused what I was arrested for in the first place," Lichfield said with a laugh, adding that the truth soon will absolve him of abuse charges.
"The truth is the most important thing. Was it true that kids were abused? I admit, there were a lot of things that happened [at Dundee] that I didn?t know about, but I don?t think there really was [abuse]," Lichfield told The Tico Times this week.
MEANWHILE, a growing number of parents of former academy students in the United States are expressing concern that the investigation here into what happened at Dundee has been shelved, and that charges will not be pressed against Lichfield.
Distanced by a couple thousand miles, an unfamiliar judicial system and a language barrier, some of the U.S. parents say they are feeling powerless.
For several months, a group of 12 former Dundee students has been prepared to return to Costa Rica to testify to allegations of physical and emotional mistreatment suffered at the hands of former Dundee staff.
But no court date has been set by the prosecutor or the judge, and the parents are hesitant to fly their children down unannounced.
"I am concerned that when parents have tried to call the prosecutor?s office, they are told ?No English!? and hung up on," said Karen Burnett, mother of a former Dundee student.
Prosecutor Alfaro admits that no one in her office speaks English, but said that former students can come down to Costa Rica anytime to give their testimony. They will be received with "no problem," she said.
LOCATED on the remote grounds of a former eco-hotel about 15 kilometers from the Pacific-slope community of Orotina, Dundee Ranch Academy was an affiliate of the Utah-based WorldWide Association of Specialty Programs (WWASP). The non-therapeutic behavior-modification facility, home to 200 troubled teenagers mostly from the United States, was operated under the philosophy of "identify your incorrect behavior, and stop doing it," according to Lichfield.
But some of the methods Dundee staff members used to help wayward teens identify their "incorrect behavior" -- including solitary confinement, physical restraint and allegations of drug-induced sedation -- were blasted by critics as abusive (TT, Oct. 25, 2002; Jan. 17, March 14).
Last May, the mother of one Dundee student filed a complaint with the Atenas Prosecutor?s Office, where Prosecutor Fernando Vargas was substituting for the regular prosecutor who was on vacation. Vargas immediately asked Judge Gabriela Saborío to authorize a government intervention of Dundee.
The interventions, which occurred on May 20 and 22, spiraled out of control when Vargas tried to explain to the children their rights under Costa Rican law. Several dozen youth escaped from the campus, while others rioted and vandalized the facility.
Lichfield was detained for 24 hours before being released on conditional freedoms. He closed the academy May 24 and the students were whisked back to their parents in the United States or to other WWASP programs in the United States and Jamaica (TT, May 23, May 30).
THE Ombudsman?s Office blasted the Child Welfare Agency?s handling of the situation as "permissive and tolerant" of alleged abuse, and recommended that child welfare authorities develop new protocol for situations where children are at high risk (TT, Sept. 12).
Prosecutor Fernando Vargas, who was removed from Dundee case a week after the May raids when prosecutor Marielos Alfaro returned from vacation, also is raising a critical voice against Costa Rica?s handling of the case.
In July, he filed a complaint with the Internal Judicial Inspector?s Office against Judge Saborío, who he claims interfered with his ability to gather necessary evidence during the interventions, and acted inappropriately in a situation where children were asking for help.
Saborío denies any wrongdoing, but said she could not comment further because she is the subject of an ongoing internal investigation.
VARGAS also is critical of the current prosecutor?s handling of the case, which he claims is "passive" and not being conducted with the importance that it deserves. He claims he did more to advance the investigation in the week following the raid, than anything that has been done in the last six months.
Alfaro told The Tico Times that the investigation is still open, and denied it is not being given its due importance. She said her office is still waiting for confiscated documents to be translated into Spanish, as well as other proof from the Judicial Investigative Police (OIJ).
Alfaro explained that she is the only prosecutor in Atenas and is handling about 500 ongoing cases, many older than the Dundee case. She stressed that all cases are given equal importance, and that the Dundee matter will be resolved in due time.
Vargas argues the case would be moved along faster if there was more public and media pressure. He blames the relatively mild public reaction to the Dundee situation on a general perception that the issue is a "gringo problem."
If the students had been Costa Ricans, the public?s reaction and the prosecution?s handling of case would be much different, Vargas charged.
"There is a perception that these problems were brought here; that they are not ours," Vargas said. "And there is resentment: why do we have to deal with it when the U.S. knew about [WWASP] for years?"
WWASP, which currently has 10-affiliated programs in the United States and abroad, has operated in the U.S. for more than a decade. Dundee was the fourth WWASP program to close after being investigated for rights violations.
Earlier this month, U.S. congressman George Miller wrote to U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft and requested a federal probe of WWASP (TT, Nov. 7). Miller?s office has not yet received a reply, according to a congressional aid.
ALFARO vigorously denied the nationality of the alleged victims has anything to do with the prosecution?s handling of the case.
"Whether they are gringos, Nicas or whoever, the law applies to all cases and each is given equal importance," she said.
Vargas claims the Dundee case is one of the most important in the country, and that Costa Rica, with its moral authority and progressive laws to protect children?s rights, is the perfect venue to put WWASP on trial.
"If Dundee falls in Costa Rica, then WWASP falls in the rest of the world, but if Dundee doesn?t fall, WWASP will only get stronger," Vargas said.
LICHFIELD, meanwhile, said that in the last six months he has injected $600,000 into his new academy, which he hopes to open by Jan. 1 on the same Orotina campus. He said the new academy will not be affiliated with WWASP because of the "negative attached to it."
Lichfield said he will be a consultant to the new academy, and will not be part of the ownership group, which will headed by former director Francisco Bustos and new director Herald Dabel, a Spanish professor from South Carolina.
The controversial "High Impact" boot-camp compound that Lichfield was building on the Dundee campus has since been converted into a recreational center with a weight room and movie theater, Lichfield said.
CHILD Welfare Minister Rosalía Gil has told The Tico Times she will not allow Dundee to reopen here.

::smokingun::

Lichfield, however, said he will use the $2 million in estimated damages to Dundee as leverage to convince authorities to allow him to reopen an appropriate facility that the "Costa Rican government is comfortable with."
Lichfield, who said he donated $10,000 to campaign of President Abel Pacheco, claims he has appealed to the President for help, but added Pacheco probably "doesn?t want to touch us with a 10-foot poll."

::smokingun::

For now, Lichfield wants to put the past behind him and "get back to what we do, and that?s help kids."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 11:26:00 AM »
Dundee Campaign Donation Probed

In the latest chapter of the campaign finance scandal involving President Abel Pacheco, the office of Patriotic Parliamentary Bloc congressman Humberto Arce confirmed yesterday that it is looking into reports that Narvin Lichfield, owner of the defunct tough-love Dundee Ranch Academy, donated $10,000 to the President's election bid.

Dundee Campaign Donation Probed
By Tim Rogers
December 9, 2003
[email protected]
In the latest chapter of the campaign finance scandal involving President Abel Pacheco, the office of Patriotic Parliamentary Bloc congressman Humberto Arce confirmed yesterday that it is looking into reports that Narvin Lichfield, owner of the defunct tough-love Dundee Ranch Academy, donated $10,000 to the President's election bid.

Arce, a vocal leader on the congressional committee investigating campaign finance irregularities, was asked by regional child-advocacy group Casa Alianza to look into the possibly irregular contribution following a Nov. 28 report in The Tico Times, in which Lichfield admitted he donated to Pacheco's campaign.

Lichfield acknowledged in a phone interview with The Tico Times last month that he had donated money to Pacheco's campaign, and had appealed to the President for help when his academy was forced to close in May on allegations of children's rights abuses.

Foreign campaign donations are illegal under Costa Rica's Electoral Code.

The Pacheco campaign team, however, managed to skirt finance regulations by creating a parallel fund-raising structure to handle irregular donations that were never reported to the Supreme Elections Tribunal (TSE), as required by law.

Although Lichfield admitted to the donation, a Tico Times' investigation of TSE campaign-finance records turned up no such financial contribution either in the name of Lichfield, his Costa Rican wife, academy director Joe Atkin, Dundee Ranch Academy, Rancho Dundee, or the WorldWide Association of Specialty Programs.

Dundee Ranch Academy, a behavior-modification program for wayward U.S. teenagers, was closed May 24 following two government interventions to investigate allegations of rights abuse (TT, Oct. 25, 2002; Jan. 17, March 14, May 23, 30). Lichfield was arrested and jailed for 24 hours, before being released on conditional freedoms.

Pacheco is currently out of the country and the Casa Presidencial did not respond to The Tico Times inquiries by press time yesterday.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »
I entered Dundee Ranch Academy of Costa Rica in the month of April of 2002. My name is [withheld by ISAC]. My mother sent me to Dundee Ranch Academy for drug abuse and to rebuild a relationship with my family. It didn't take very long for me to realize how harsh and strict the program was. I couldn't understand the concept of rules like not being aloud to speak to one another. How am I suppose to deal emotional issues if I'm not allowed to talk? Wheres the sense in that? Even in prisons the residents are allowed to speak with one another. What had I done that deserved to have my privilege to speak taken? At Dundee Ranch they had different punishments for these unnecessary rules. One was "worksheets."It was extremely easy to receive a day in worksheets. In worksheets you eat a plate of beans and rice for your meals. You sit in a chair facing the wall in a little hot room forced to write three thousand words or more depending on the violation. I myself once spent four days in worksheets having to write 54,000 words. On top of that I spent a week in Observational Placement. "O.P." This punishment could be days to weeks to months. Ive seen kids waste a full month in this place. It is a concrete room where you sit in three different positions for 12 hours a day and once again you eat nothing but beans and rice for every meal.
The positions were sitting Indianstyle, standing, or laying on your stomach. Always having your hands behind your back and facing the wall. If in "OP" you violated these positions you were most likely open to be restrained. I saw kids in "OP" go threw exercise where the Jamaicans would make them do jump n' jacks until they fell to the ground and cried. I often heard kids screaming and begging for who ever to stop hurting them. Even though I wasn't in "OP" to see the abuse a lot of the times, hearing it can also go a long way. The emotional abuse to me is indescribable. I once stopped Mr. Kenny the Director at the time, and told him I wanted to talk to someone and needed help. He responded by saying " There is no more help boy, your ass is mine." He then turned and walked away. All these things were emotionally hard on me. Physically, concerns for my condition were thrown out the window. For four months I was put in a storage space which was called the "Bat Cave." It was about the size of a large closet. Twelve kids could be put in this small space. Literally kids were on top of each other. Living conditions were grossly over crowded. One time a kid got pink eye. After a week a third of the kids had it. I was fed hardly anything mostly beans and rice. I entered the program at 143 pounds. When I left I weighed in at about 120 pounds. In only four months. Talk about eating light. For those looking to lose weight try eating only three small meals of rice a day , and if you get hungry throughout the rest of the day drink from your bottle of water. I once got a ear infection in my right ear. It got so bad that it hurt when I swallowed. I told the staff but they never did anything for me. Some didn't even understand because they didn't speak English. The administration acted to important to talk to me. After a month I saw the doctor. He gave me ear drops and it took weeks for the ear to stop hurting. I now can notice that in my right ear I've lost some hearing. I only notice it though when wearing head phones. I also once got very sick at night and started vomiting and having diarea which was followed by a full body rash. I staggered out to the night staff who saw my condition and called the nurse. She hooked me up to an IV and gave me a shot, then sent me back to bed. I was told I had the Costa Rican flu. When I wrote my mother emails about the situation they were for some reason mysteriously never sent. She eventually received a written letter about it from me a month later, and when she asked why she wasn't told about it they said it was only a small allergic reaction to eating a tomato. WHAT Tomato? This was blatant lying and manipulation to a parent. I no longer cared about what I said to my mother because they would always be there to disprove me. I became institutionalized and had no concept of local and world news, or time. Every day was the same. Nothing ever changed. Events could take place and a week later you couldn't remember when it happened. I had only spent four months in this place and my mind was traumatized by these things. I feel great sadness and sorrow for kids who've spent a year in this place. For my friends and other kids who were still in there when I left, I just want to say I never stopped praying for you.

Academy at Dundee Ranch Statement C: From a Student Present During the Riot

During my two and a half month stay in Costa Rica at Dundee ranch academy I have seen many cases of mistreatment and abuse placed towards the students that attend the academy, many of which could have been very easily avoided if the government was doing their jobs and stopping all of this nonsense the moment it was brought to their attention but that didn?t happen instead they decided kids are in programs for lying and even when the evidence is in front of they?re faces, they chose to claim they were blind. If people were doing the right thing and actually doing their own jobs, none, and I mean none of this would have happened. I am and will get my point and opinion across to you - I am absolutely furious that this had happened, it is not just NARVIN LICHFIELD?s fault this is the people who let this pass, any one who has seen some one hit, yelled at in a violent way, harm a student in any way shape or form, and not say a word about it ,should have to pay the price even if its as high as Narvin?s. The reason why this makes me so angry is because the U.S. embassy has known for as long as this so called academy has been opened that there has been cases of abuse, tempted suicides, food poisoning and other serious mistreatments and I doubt any thing has been reported.

I have seen Conrad hit throw and choke students. I witnessed Conrad hit [a female student] and then she had fallen to her knees crying. The nurses give us many shots and pills for unknown reasons. After the riot I was given two small white pills. Our food there is not worth eating; there were bugs, bone, plastic, and rocks in our daily meals. The showers I would have to say are the vilest; there was always dirty cloths, mud, garbage in the shower stalls, I have even opened my shower to find human feces inside. The showers are rather cold and it doesn?t help out much when my skin is filled with oil from smelly gold soap (soap that?s not anti-bacterial). I was sent to o.p. a lot, I had to stand for hours with two minute  brakes in between each half hour. When you?re in o.p. or worksheets you get less food in your meals than everybody else receives. I?ve never been restrained but I have seen others be restrained. At least every other day, you hear screams from [name withheld], a fourteen year old boy, who was always being restrained. Everybody calls him [name withheld]. He has marks and bruises up and down his arms and legs from being "restrained." These people take advantage of calling it restraints it?s more like beating the kids, people who work there try to cover everything up with lies and bribes. Most of the time after being restrained kids get thrown in the pool, its kid of a sick game they watch the kid try to swim - you see after being restrain all of the muscles in the arms and legs has been stretched so the muscles are very stiff. They didn?t take care of any of the animals there either they had dogs with ticks running around and cats with some disease with blotches missing from their necks and backs. The smallest dog that was always running around was picked on by the boys, they have thrown him in the pool and swings him in circles by his legs and drops him on his back. Staff has given other kids permission to restrain other kids who were in the lower levels. On the last days I was there they had upper levels trying to keep the kids in order and they were beating kids with sticks and hitting them in their faces. I hated Dundee. During the riot the staff allowed other students to take my belongings.

Academy at Dundee Ranch Statement D: From a Student who Left the Facility Shortly Before it was Closed by Costa Rican Authorities
I entered Dundee Ranch Academy in Costa Rica in May 2002.  I was sent to the program for abusing drugs and having a poor relationship with my family.  I noticed the program was very strict but was determined to work it to try to better myself as a person but I gave up on myself when I was dropped from a high Level 2 with 1500 points to Level 1 0 points because I was wearing 2 shirts when I had permission because the fabric was bothering my skin.  I was given a Category 4 "Layering".  They don't let kids layer because they think that they will try to run away.  When I was given the Cat 4 "Layering" I was sent to Observation Placement for 3 days.  While I was in Observation placement I was restrained for my first time.  I turned my head while I was laying face down with my chin on the ground and one of the staff named Mr. Kenny came in and put his knee in my back and put my arm behind me and started pushing it up until it touched the back of my head .I had so much pressure on my back that I couldn't breathe. From that day on I really found what the program was about. A week later I was in the Family Representative office and I saw a list saying ten rules for family reps. Rule # 1 said to always talk on the offensive side with your family. Rule #2 said to always keep parents away from the facility. Rule # 3 said to always encourage parents to have their kids graduate. I was in the program 11 months and only saw one kid graduate the program.  I don't feel that a kid has to graduate the program in order to change his/her life.  I left the program on Level 1 while in Observation Placement and feel that I have changed my life a lot.  While in Observation Placement the food is Rice and Beans for every meal.  That is the same thing with a place called worksheets.  They send you to worksheets for talking or breaking little rules.  They have categories from 1-5.  Cat 4's and 5's and you have to do time in Observation Placement.  I've walked around the pool at Dundee Ranch Academy for 2 weeks straight before because I didn't want to stay on silence and cooperate with the program.  We would have exercises/punishments where they would make us squat with our arms out and I would start shaking.  I would sometimes give up but then I would get restrained by the Jamaicans until I agreed to continue on with the punishments.  I would get so much sun on my back that I would have blisters and couldn't sleep.  I slept in a "Batcave" with no A/C for 11 months.  It was very hard to sleep at night because of the heat.  The heat was from the other bodies around us because we would sleep in a very small room with a lot of kids piled on top of each other.  We once took a facility picture and Mr. Narvin Litchfeld told us to say "Money" while he took the picture.  Once I was in Observation Placement and a kid named [withheld by ISAC] was put into the same room as me because he was stabbing his wrists with a big thorn that he found off a tree.  I was talking to him and got in trouble from the staff.  I told the staff that a kid like this doesn't need to be in here and he didn't respond.  The US Embassy from San Jose did come into Observation Placement while I was in there and questioned me.  I told them how things were being ran around here and they told me they were going to call my Dad but never did.  I was really hoping that they would call him.  One of my good friends [withheld by ISAC] was beat on April 1, 2003 so bad that he threw up on himself and urinated on himself.  Later that day the President of WWASP Ken Kay came to visit and [the child] showed him what happened and Ken Kay took pictures of his bruises on his back.  [The child?s] face was swollen for the next few days.  Some of us went through a lot of abuse while at Dundee Ranch Academy, but I do have to say that my stay at Dundee Ranch helped me.  I don't agree with the way they treated us at all.  I feel that they could have done things differently and not try to intimidate he kids so much.  It was scary for me at times being there.  I left the program on April 16, 2003, on Level 1 Like I said, but I feel that I've came farther then a lot of other people who've made it farther in the program then me.

Academy at Dundee Ranch Statement E: From a Former Student

I was sent to Dundee Ranch "Academy" late 2001 and spent 9 months there.  I was almost 16 years old.  At home, I was not doing anything with my life, but most importantly, I was refusing to go to school.  My parents came to the conclusion that DRA was the best choice of a school, as the way that they advertised it, it was ideal for me.  They thought that I was going to a school where I would learn Spanish, be in an accelerated academic situation, and have an opportunity to become immersed in a different culture that I had never experienced.  Little did they know that DRA was not what they expected.

When I first got there, I was kind of in shock with what just happened.  Imagine your whole life becoming flipped around, and becoming thrown into a situation where the only thing to keep you going was your own mind.  Luckily I have always had a strong state of mind, and isolation had little effect on me, as I grew up in a rural area.  I was the 9th boy to go there, and the place was not even close to being up and running.  Within my first day, I was told that I had to work on the dorms.  Keep in mind that the dorms at that time were a few hotel rooms, with a "hallway" running to the outside.  There was no door to it, and was open to everything.  In other words, we had a room in the middle of a construction site, in the middle of the jungle.  During school time, every other day, 5 boys would go to the dorms and work on taking out these blocks of concrete with a pick and mallet.  It took about three weeks of daily work to finish this.  The thing that bothered me the most about this is the fact that kids were sent there, and for the most part had to build their own dorms during school time while the workers swept the floor and gave you little pointers on how to take chunks of concrete out.  To give you a good idea of the kind of work we were doing, I got 3 decent sized scars on my hands from the concrete chucks flying off.  Luckily our eyes didn't get hurt; no goggles were ever given to us to wear.  We also worked on other buildings.  It isn?t the point that I didn?t want to do the work, it is the fact that I was taken out of school for this, and that was one of the main reasons I was there, or so my parents thought.  But anyway, on to the rest of my stay.

First I need to say how the chronological order of everything in your life gets quite twisted around, and there was no difference from one day to another.  Its funny how when the weather relatively stays the same day in and day out, combined with a rigorous schedule, it can make you loose track of the order things happened when trying to look back.  Everything in my mind is events, and not the typical story that the mind usually remembers things in.  Due to this, it is sometimes hard to recall intricate details about things, but the general event is still there.

School when I got there for the most part was nonexistent. They had no clue what I was supposed to do, so they asked if I had taken health, and since I hadn't they gave me a book and some requirements.  There were no teachers around, just the "family father," the person in charge of the group of kids.  Luckily he used to teach English in the states somewhere, but when it came to other subjects you were pretty much on your own.  The way the system worked, was that if you didn't understand something one of the other kids could tutor you, but what if you didn't know that you didn't get something?  There wasn't a teacher there to ask you questions on things and make sure that you understood the material.  Luckily again, I had always been a fan of independent study, and I love to read.  The school was perfect for me, yet other kids struggled.  I could understand how hard for them it could be just having a book thrown at you and then being told that you have to learn this and pass all the tests.  There were many kids there with learning disabilities.  The one thing that got to me the most while trying to do school work, was the fact that if I looked up from my book into the swamp, where the school was located, I would get in trouble.  School was two hours long with no breaks, and try concentrating on a school book for that long without being able to stretch or look around.  All of these concerns were addressed at a later time, and things were set up to help you, yet they never worked out.

One of the biggest things that DRA stressed was the need for consistency in ones life.  Wow, what a bunch of hypocrites. I don't think that the "setup" of that place stayed the same for a maximum of two months, IF THAT.  A rule book was set up, but a few weeks later things were twisted around like crazy.  On the rule book topic, here's what I found quite amusing: This book has all the rules on what you can and can not do, and what staff can and can not do.  Sounds good.  Somewhat like a constitution for the place, right?  WRONG.  One key sentence was placed at the end of every rulebook we got: ALL RULES ARE AT STAFF DISCRETION.  Well, so much for the constitution idea?  For example, kids must be present at school, no exceptions.  Well, apparently there is a lack of manpower in Costa Rica, or money from the owner to pay them because kids were pulled out of school all the time to do work projects, myself included.  That is just one instance.  If I took every example of what was twisted around, you probably wouldn't be reading this letter right now, as I?d still is writing it.

Observational Placement.  OP.  By far one of the most heated topics in the whole WWASP fiasco.  First off on this topic, I must say that I have never been placed in there, so I have no grudge against what goes on in there because I never got the brunt of it.  On the other hand, I have seen what has come of things in there.  I have never seen the famous "boot-in-the-face" incidents that I constantly here of on the anti-WWASP websites, but I have seen what has come of the events in there.  To put it into an analogy, take the present conflict in Iraq.  I'm sure you've seen the pictures of the bombed out buildings, and watched the live footage of Baghdad being bombed.  Sometimes you couldn't see the explosions, but you could surely hear them.  In other words, not being able to see the event doesn't mean that it never happened.  The same thing applies to OP.  If we heard something that was going on, we were not allowed to look.  Turning your head would get yourself in trouble.  The after effects for the most part point to what happened.   I have never seen any slams, punches, etc.? but I have heard it and seen things from it.  Things such as people's arms in slings, after having their arm jacked up behind their back to their ear.  In the rulebook, it states that physical restraint (butt-kicking in other terms) will only be used if the subject is in a position where he will harm himself or others.  Limited physical contact is supposed to be used.  Yet as I said before, ALL RULES ARE AT STAFF DISCRETION.  People would be "restrained" in OP if they wouldn't shut up, moved their position when they were not supposed to or for the most part wouldn't listen to what the staff member was telling them to do.  There are only two incidents where I have seen a kid in a position where he can hurt himself or someone else.  One of them ended in a kid falling two or so stories while attempting to commit suicide, and the other with a kid smashing his head into a wall because of the extreme depression he was in.  This is something that hurts to see.  A kid with problems, not getting help, REAL help.  I can understand the frustration that the staff members go through with a refusing kid, but shouldn't they be secure enough with their emotions before being in charge of troubled teens with no control of their emotions?  As an ?upper level? kid, I was often asked to watch kids in O.P..  I would use my kind of leadership, reasoning and logic.  I was often put down for this.  I was held back from advancement by this.  I was expected to scream and yell at the lower levels.  This was against my beliefs.  I was in the Civil Air Patrol before I went to Dundee.  This is a youth branch of the Air Force and I learned many different ways to lead.  I was criticized with my way of leadership and told that it was not how you are to lead.  This later bit me when I could not move up the levels because I didn?t conform to what they wanted.  I have learned in my not so many years, that you can get more accomplished if you lead in a civil and fair way, as opposed to screaming, threats and intimidation

Another heated topic that I hear a lot about is the whole mental abuse thing.  I'm not sure what the actual definition of it is, but in my opinion, it happens quite a bit down there.  We were offered no current events.  I went to Dundee right after 911.  History is a passion, and I was not allowed any contact with the outside world.  This was abuse to me.  In jail, you are at least allowed to read a paper.  The only things I would learn, are from my parents on our calls.  My parents complained, and we eventually got 2 year old reader digests that were donated.  Some schooling!  

We were not allowed to talk except during very restricting times.  I understand the whole concept of it, and how it is supposed to keep the conspiring of lower level kids down (running away and other assorted "don't do's"), but have they ever wondered what a kid on a lower lever for a year or so goes through?  I'm sure it sounded good on paper to them, but I bet Hitler thought his plans looked good too.  In general, teenagers should not be placed in a situation where they are surrounded by 20 other kids, and they can't talk to them, let alone even use hand signals.  I've seen many kids break down because this rule combined with many other rules is too much for them.  Like me, not all of these kids were in that much trouble back home.  Why were we in something that was worse than prison?  Because they lied to our parents as to what was going on.  If I said something to my Mom or Dad, they would question the staff.  The answer they got was that I was manipulating them to come home.  Wow, was that frustrating.  Luckily, my parents did not go to all the adult seminars and get manipulated into thinking that the program was the best thing in the world for their child, and that it was not OK to question.  They were told that there was a music department at the school.  They had to fight for me to even be able to get a guitar and be able to have the time to play it.  I could play at night for a little while, while everyone was trying to fall asleep.  It was hard leaving when my parents came to get me, knowing that the rest of the kids there would not have something so simple in their lives as listening to something that they loved while trying to stay sane.  There is nothing normal down there.  Your teenage years are non existent, lost.  

Other strict rules include keeping your feet together no matter how or where you are sitting.  In school, as I said before, you can?t take your eyes off of the book, and the feet "on task" (as they liked to call it) didn't help your school much.  Their reasoning behind this is discipline, and little things like this lead to great things.  BS!  Little things like this lead to ankle cramps, low concentration and overall irritability in school!  Tell me how having your feet together takes you out of your life of drugs, sex, crime or whatever you're there for.  I do believe that this rule was taken away, but this has been a few times, and they always bring it back.

Seminars.  Oh my god, what a bunch of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo. All the seminars are just a popularity contest.  They review all the work you've done in the past month (or two months in DRA's case) and that pretty much determines if you get through.  Well, who are staffing the seminars you ask?  Kids just like myself.  Upper levels.  Yes, there is a facilitator that's flown in and runs the seminar, but the upper levels pretty much tell him how you've done.  Hmm, quite a sound system I must say.  No checks and balances.  So, if you are not on the upper levels good side there's a big chance you're not getting through.  For the most part, people can fake their way through, with a combination of sucking up in-between the seminars.  I could not advance because they said that I was hiding something.  I admitted right off that I was lazy, smoking to much pot and not going to school.  There were not any underlying, heavy mental problems that needed to come out.  I was not abused, or in depression like some of the kids there.   I needed a wake-up call and got one.   I was very honest in the previous seminars but couldn?t pass one because I would have had to lie and make something up to get through it.  I told my parents that I will not make it any further in the program because I would go against all our beliefs, and lie to get ahead.  Great lesson!  Many of the kids do this, and the parents think that their kids are ?getting the program? and are doing great.

I think back and realize that we were put in situations that were really not safe for us.  When someone ran away, as an upper level, we were given flashlights and asked to go into the jungle at night to look for them.  Not to smart when you know what is out there and what could happen to you.  You did not question when someone asked you to do something.  An incident like this occurred one night when a boy was missing.  We searched everywhere and couldn?t find him.  We were in the cafeteria when we heard a loud thump.  He apparently jumped off the roof to commit suicide.  It was explained later that he fell from a tree while trying to escape and that is why he had a sling on.  You learned not to ask questions, even with your peers.  You didn?t want to know anything because if it was wrong, you were in just as much trouble for knowing as they were for doing.  I believe in positive peer pressure, this was actually negative peer pressure.        

The food was O.K., but the water was dangerous.  We all got sick often.  They cut off the water, and we drank well water.  We carried around water bottles that were sometimes months old.  We just refilled them.  Can?t imagine the bacteria in these containers after all that time in the hot jungle weather.  They were gross.  The sleeping conditions were not safe.  We had up to 12 grown boys in a very small room.  The bunks were three high and so small that you couldn?t even turn over.  The doctor even admitted that the way they were set up, if one kid got sick, we all did.  Scabies, rashes, not the best medical treatment there.    

I did not leave the school grounds for 6 months, except to go get my passport.   It would have been longer, but my parents came down and insisted that I be able to go out with them.  They were lied to about this rule, and would not stand for it.  I had been obeying the rules, and it probably would have been over 9 months before I would have been able to go off and actually have an activity.  Maybe longer, because I wouldn?t lie and pass certain seminars that I needed to advance.  There are some kids in these schools that have not been out in the world in over a year, often two.  This is not healthy for a teenager.  It is cruel.

Overall, DRA does some good, but in my opinion it does more bad then good.  One of the main things they teach at Dundee is accountability.  They need to practice what they preach.  They lie to parents to make money.  That is not accountable.  I believe a spontaneous investigation is needed, without any notice to Dundee.  The spontaneity is needed because when the staff would find out there is an investigation coming, the entire facility would stop whatever they are doing and clean everything up, and act like everything is all right.   This happened often.   I am actually an ?actor? in the tape that they have out there to market WWASP.  We cleaned up the place, put on blazers that we never wore again and acted.  We were in the cafeteria pretending we were in class, being tutored by teachers.  They were family fathers not teachers.  You can also see us walking in and out of the dorms.  They didn?t show the crammed quarters inside.  And best of all, you see us sitting around on couches talking and having a normal life.  Funny, that was the first time that I had sat around on those couches.  We actually looked like this was normal and that this was a pleasant time we were having.  When the taping was over they took back the blazers and it was back to normal, which included never sitting around on those couches talking, that was not allowed.  

You also have to interview kids that are at lower levels.  The upper level kids won?t say anything, because they have resigned themselves into the mindset that they will do whatever they have to to get out.  They will be in serious trouble if the staff or owner knows that they complained to anyone that may have a chance to cut off the money going into these schools.  Their parents are usually so manipulated by WWASP, that the only thing that they can do is go along with it and get home.  This does not necessarily mean that they have changed their whole life and way of thinking; it means that they have learned how to survive and play the game to go home.  I am also concerned that they will be opening a new high impact at Dundee.  How could it get any worse than these schools?  I can?t imagine what will go on behind those walls.  I would be scared for my child if they were to be sent there.  They have absolutely no one to cry to.  

I hope that this letter has been helpful for whatever it is needed for, and if anyone has any questions, I am open to answering all of them.

Academy at Dundee Ranch Statement F: From a Former Student

I arrived at Dundee on January 14th, 2002. I knew I was coming, but what I had expected was something totally different from what I got. I watched a sappy video of teary-eyed parents expressing their devotion to the program, and how it has changed their life so much and they would recommend anyone to the program. It looked nice, like there were a ot of things to do and see. I chose Costa Rica because I like the culture, and I wanted to visit the country. Well, I didn?t get to see much of anything but the facility while I was there. I didn?t leave for the first 7 months I was there. Not one foot stepped out of those gates. The first 5 months were the hardest. I quickly fell into a deep depression in which I felt absolutely no hope for anything. The staff and students seemed cold, and unwelcoming, and I had no one to talk to about my feelings and what I was going through. I distinctly remember several occasions in which I felt so lonely, hopeless and sad that I would search through my things, looking for something I might try to kill myself with. I was denied contact with my parents other than one letter a week. Many times my letters were lost, or would take 2 to 3 weeks to get to my parents. My parents were told that anything I said that was negative about the program was manipulation and I was just trying to get them to take me home. They lied to my parents. They taught us themselves that not telling the whole truth is considered lying. Maybe they should practice what they preach. Hey, what has happened now is just the universe holding them accountable for their actions. It will always come back on you. Anyways, while trudging through my depression there was so much going on around me, I didn?t know how to respond to it all. Rules were changed daily, disgruntled staff would take out their frustration on students by giving them unnecessary corrections, which docked points and set them back. We were not allowed to speak to each other unless it was during a very strict and limited time, usually never more than a half an hour at the most a day. The rest of the time we had to be absolutely silent, making no gestures or visual communication whatsoever. Sanitary conditions were terrible. We were made to sleep in rooms of 6-9 girls in one small room. If there was one person who got sick in a room, then everyone would get sick. We would have triple bunk beds with so little room you could not sit up, move around, or even get on or off easily. Many times there would not be water, so we could not shower, brush our teeth, was our faces etc. We also lacked necessary hygiene supplies like toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, and toothpaste. I remember times when there was no toilet paper for days, and we would have to use notebook paper, or when we would not get items from the storage so we had very little shampoo left. We also had no laundry soap on several occasions. We had to wash our own clothes by hand, but several times, we would use shampoo to wash our clothes with because there was no laundry soap. Then, when everyone was running out of shampoo, and the scrubbing brushes had lost all of their bristles, I remember having to wash my clothes with conditioner and an old toothbrush. Then there was OP and Worksheets. OP was a place you went when you broke a category 4 or 5 rule. You could do this by simply having a map of something, by speaking in English to someone, or wearing too many articles of clothing etc. In OP you usually had to lie down on your stomach with your hands behind your back and your chin on the floor. I was in OP a few times. You cannot move, talk, look, itch?nothing. Sometimes you had to do hours and hours of exercises. Once I had to run with only my flip-flops. I asked several times to get my tennis shoes but they kept saying, no, keep running, you can get them later. We would also not be allowed to fill up our water bottles when we needed it. Maybe once we were allowed to go and refill our bottles. Kids could spend days weeks or months in OP. In worksheets you had to write a certain number of words. The number of works you had to write depended on what category rule violation you got. I believe I wrote somewhere around 130,000 to 150,000 words while I was there. I remember at least 2 occasions when I had around 50,000-60,000 words to write, which took me from 1 ½ to 2 weeks to do. Other times I would have anywhere from 16,000 to 30,000 words to write. I have around 30,000 words that I kept and brought home. We would not have tables to write on, and the rooms were dark to I would have to bend down and write on my lap which would give me terrible back and neck pains for up to 3 days. School was something that was out of control. When I got there, there were NO teachers NO school administrators, and there were students correcting work and giving credit. They lost my transcripts when I first got there, and I didn?t know what to do, so for several months I did nothing in school. Another concern was the Family Representative turnover. I had 9 family reps. In 11 months of being there. Family reps. were our only connection to our parents, and it was hard when they kept leaving about every month because I would just get to know them and then they would leave, and we?d have to deal with the new one and have to get to know them all over again. It was a never-ending cycle. My overall time at Dundee Ranch Academy was negative experience. I have since done much better at home though, and I have been working hard at school, so maybe just the experience scared me straight. I wouldn?t wish Dundee Ranch on my worst enemy.

Post Made to the WWASP Parents Message Board by a Student who was Present when Costa Rican Officials Entered Academy at Dundee Ranch, and his Mother who Went to Costa Rica to Bring Him Home:

I HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM DUNDEE RANCH ACADEMY FOR ALL PARENTS PANI IS TRYING TO HELP YOUR KIDS ARE RESEIVING NO RIGHTS AS CITIZENS THE PROGRAM MADE A BIG CHANGE IN MY LIFE AND THE PROGRAM I MEAN IS SEMINARS THE FACILITY IS SUCKING YOU DRY JUST THE LAST TWO DAYS I WAS THERE PANI HAD TO GET WARRENTS TO COME ON THE GROUNDS BUT STILL WERE NOT ALLOWED POLICE CAME IN THERE AND RAIDED IT AND FORCIBLY REMOVED THE STAFF AWAY FROM THE STUDENTS WHEN PANI TOLD SOME KIDS THEY HAD THE RIGHT TO SPEAK TO THERE PARENTS AND THE RIGHT TO PRIVATE MAIL OR EVEN NOT TO BE HELD IN THAT COUNTRY, KIDS RAN FOR FREEDOM IN SANDLES AND SHORTS DUNDEE CAME UP WITH A WAY TO MAKE THE POLICE LEAVE AND WHEN THAT HAPPENDED DUNDEE MADE CONTRACTS FOR THE KIDS TO SIGN STATING THAT WE AGREE WITH HOW WERE TREATED,FEED,LIVING CONDITIONS,AND NOT HAVING RIGHTS I REFUSED TO SIGN I WAS FORCED INTO A HIGH INPACT FACILITY WHICH NARVEN WAS OPENING WITH OUT THE COSTA RICAN GOVERMENT NOWING INSIDE WE COULD NOT BE LOCKED IN BUT THEY PLACED WORKERS AT THE DOOR WITH STICKS I TRIED TO LEAVE FOR FOOD AND CLOTHS AND RESEIVED A WOUND TO THE LEG FROM ONE OF THOSE STICKS I WAS ONLY GIVEN A PHONE CALL BECASUE THE POLICE FORCED DUNDEE TO I ASKED MY MOTHER TO COME HOME WHICH WHEN MY FAMILY REP GOT BACK ON THE PHONE TOLD MY MOTHER LOTS SAYING I WASN'T SAPPOSED TO SAY YOUR KIDS ARE SCARED NOT ALL BUT THEY CAN'T SAY ALL THEY WOULD LIKE ,THERE MAIL GETS EDITED AND IF THEY TRY TO SAY THAT THINGS ARE NOT RIGHT THEY LOOSE THERE LEVEL AND GET RESTRAINED ON THE ISSUE WITH RESRAINMENT THE CONTRACT STATES THAT I CAN ONLY BE RESTRAINDED IF I AM A HARM TO MYSELF OR TO OTHERS WELL THE STAFF SAYS ITS THERE INTERPRETATION WE GET RESTRAINDED FOR SPEAKING TO THE PARENTS OF THIRTEEN YEAR OLD KIDS YOUR KIDS DO NOT DESERVE THAT I DID BUT THEY ARE JUST SPOILED AND GETTING MORE OF THE PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ABUSE BECASUE THEY ARE MORE RESEPTIVE AND EASIER TO PICK ON I HAVE CHANGED BUT I WAS SCARED THINGS GO ON YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOUR KIDS ARE NOT FEED RIGHT (MY MOTHER)-[My son] IS 17 AND WAS AT DUNDEE 10 MONTHS,,,WHEN HE LEFT HE WAS A SIZE 44 WAIST, I SEE IN FRONT OF ME TODAY, A KID THAT GOT SICK ON 1 SANDWICH AND A GLASS OF MILK LAST NIGHT!!! HE IS IN A SIZE 34,,, YES, WE BOTH AGREE THE SCHOOL DID WORK IN ALOT OF WAYS, BUT 10 MONTHS 10INCHES, HE LOOKS LIKE A (P O W) AND I SEE AND PLAN TO TAKE PICTURES OF HIS LEGS WHERE HE WAS BEAT WITH BOARDS!!! I TALKED TO FR AND HE ACTED LIKE IT WAS ALL A SIMPLE MISUNDERSTANDING, THAT [my son] WAS STILL NOT READY TO COME HOME, BUT YOU TELL ME,THESE PEOPLE WOULD NOT GIVE MY SON HIS MEDS, CLOTHES ETC. BUT HAD THE TIME TO INCLUDE A NEW MEDICAL BILL FOR $300 THAT THEY ACTUALLY PUT A SMILEY STICKER ON!!! THEY HAD TIME FOR THAT!!! I'M NOT SORRY, I SEE & FEEL THAT I HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING IN GETTING MY SON HOME, THEY ACUALLY TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY, AND 3 HOURS LATER THE GOV. FORCED THEM TO ALLOW [my son] TO CALL, PARENTS REALIZE THAT IF YOUR KIDS DON'T SIGN, AND/ OR LEAVE THERE IMMEDIATLY THAT PANI, CAN HAVE YOU TIED UP IN COURT, IN BOTH COUNTRY FOR UP TO 1 1/2, TO GET YOUR KIDS BACK!!!BRING THEM HOME AND TALK TO THEM,YOU CAN MAKE A BETTER CHOICE, BUT I WOULD DEMAND TO TALK TO YOUR CHILD, AND THEY FORCED FR OUT OF ROOM TO LET ME TALK TO [my son] AND HE WAS STILL AFRAID.....I'LL PROBABLY BE TOOK OF THIS BOARD.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »
The Following is my account of my family's WWASP experience.

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing in regard to TeenHelp/World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools/ WWASP. Their Program in Costa Rica is the Academy at Dundee Ranch.

I would like to tell you about my and my sons experience with WWASP. I'll attempt to be brief.

My son began using drugs and drinking at about age 15. By 16 he had lost control of the situation, was expelled from his school, robbing us blind, running away, coming home stoned - lots of worrisome stuff.

None of the less restrictive measures where able to make any difference - so I went looking for a residential situation that might.

I found WWASP/teenhelp on Lon Woodburry's web sight - strugglingteens.com.

I spent several months calling and asking questions. I did speak with other unrelated residential programs, but cost was a hindrance. WWASP had programs out of the States, which I was told made them more affordable, as the dollar was so strong in these countries. We are not a wealthy family, and I was paying for this with what I had just inherited from my father's estate - so funds where limited.

The program sounded great. I was sent a list of parents to contact, and they all said it was great. I could find nothing negative anywhere. I ended up having my son escorted to Academy at Dundee ranch, in April of 2002.

I'd like to try at this point and give you an idea of the ways in which I was mislead and manipulated by WWASP.

I was told a student with a profile and history like my son's could expect to graduate within 6 months. Graduating the program is the all important goal. Once he was at Dundee, and I was able to access the WWASP parent's bulletin board, the BBS, I soon realized this 6 month time frame was a farce. Even a year would be conservative, and two years appeared to be the average, although, I also noticed, younger students seemed to take much longer. Three or Four years wasn't unusual. I have come to feel there are many ways to slow down and sabotage a student's progress, and the motivation to do so is a powerful one - money.

I was also mislead about the basic nature of the program. I was lead to believe it was a school. I asked about this specifically. Repeatedly. I didn't want a hospital like placement, or a placement where many of the students had emotional or mental health issues. I needed and wanted a residential drug rehab with a good educational program.
I was told in answer to my questions, the program was a boarding school type of environment, with a therapeutic eliminate, which was daily group sessions, and emotional growth seminars. I thought I understood what this meant, but I was mistaken. The group sessions where not related to drug rehab in any meaningful way. Nor where the seminars what I had believed them to be. This I came to slowly understand from my activity on the BBS.

The 'school' consist of computer classes, with no actual instruction from an actual teacher. I had been told all the Program schools where fully accredited, but this wasn't true. Dundee didn't attain accreditation until sometime after my son arrived, and much of his early work was wasted. He found it impossible to take anything that needed explaining, such as algebra. He mostly spent his time doing minor electives he could manage from a store of basic common knowledge. It turns out "working the Program" is the first and foremost with education being of far less importance.

It also turned out that there where in fact a large number of students with emotional and mental health issues. It is apparently believed this particular program is a one size fits all cure.

As I mentioned, there was no actual drug rehab component, and the education wasn't of the high quality I had been lead to believe; also, the true nature of the seminars wasn't something I wanted to be part of, as the beliefs and practices they promote, conflict with many of our family's beliefs as evangelical Christians. And so I began looking for a different placement, and transferred my son out of the WWASP program at Dundee, in August of 2002.

At this point, I began to learn of things I had been mislead about, that are of a very serious nature.

I was told the program was points and levels based. Points where gained or lost, depending on how a student did in several areas of behavior, and levels gained or lost depending on the number of points. Gaining levels being desired, as it not only leads to graduating the program, but also more privileges; Such as field trips and activities, like maybe a dance or a movie.
Even calls home to Mom and Dad are considered a privilege that must be earned. I was mislead about this as well. I had been told my son couldn't call home until attaining level three. I was lead to believe this might take a couple or three weeks. This wasn't really alarming. I soon learned it could and would take much longer, three or four Months being a more appropriate estiment. Some go for much longer than that - many, many months, with no calls home allowed.

The Points and levels where the only form of 'consequence' ever mentioned prior to enrollment.

I was never told, in any way shape or form, that Food is part of the reward system. I don't mean just the use of condiments. I mean food. My son felt he was being starved. He was always hungry. Hunger became a real issue for him and was always present. I think I understand now, why the new and lower level kids are kept hungry, but I'll just ask you to believe me when I say he was in fact kept hungry, for whatever reason.

I was also not told the program has a method of punishment that mirrors a practice that was inflicted on prisoners of Devils Island, Observation Place. The History channel has a show they do on prisons - and when they did Devil's Island, they gave a good description of Observation Place -
In Observation Place, the hapless student must remain silent, on their knees, face to the wall, hands behind their back, for up to twelve hours a day, for days at a time. Some of the 'schools' make them lay on their stomachs - Sometimes they did this at Dundee as well; but a forced body position and silence are always a part of it. My son spent three days in O. P for trading his medicine for candy.

On this occasion, when I asked - "what is O. P?" as I hadn't prior to this, ever herd of it; All I was told was, it was a place where the students had to remain quite and think about their non working choices. Maybe so. But there was an awful lot left unsaid. I didn't have a clue, until reading a description of O.P. in a New Orleans news paper article.

Its my understanding, some students spend the majority of their time in O. P., as they have a harder time conforming to the strict regimented demands of the program.

Another misleading was how restraint is used in the program. I was told restraint was sometimes used. This wasn't alarming, as I could easily imagine there where occasions when restraint would be needed, for the safety of the students. I was told it happens but was a rare occurrence, and as this made sense, I didn't question it.

What I have learned since my son has been transferred out of WWASP, is that restraint is very common and brutal. Its a common consequence to many minor infractions.

Lower level students are restrained for talking, as they are not allowed to talk - something else that was never disclosed to me upfront. Students are restrained for looking out of windows or smiling when they shouldn't be.

The restraint is painful. It isn't the sort of restraint that is to prevent ones harming themselves or others - but intended to hurt. My son told me, the students where told, the staff could break one bone with no reprisals, as all the parents had signed documents to that effect. I never signed anything giving my permission to break my son's bones.

He also told me it is a common thing for students to be beat up. He said it happened every day. At Dundee, he said it was the Jamaicans, who are transplants from WWASPs' Tranquillity Bay, that tended to beat up on the kids, and where so quick to restrain the students for minor things.

One last issue for my family is a matter of Faith. I had been assured that even though the WWASP/TeenHelp programs are Mormon owned and operated, no one particular Faith was encouraged or taught. However, it seems they do in fact consider the students a captive mission field. My son has told me, he was glad I sent him books to read, as oftentimes, if a student lacked a book of their own, they where handed a book of Mormon and made to read it.
On another occasion, he was invited to a Bible study, where instead of the Holy Bible, they passed out the book of Mormon. Many of the students are Mormon, and other families have no strong feeling about this issue; but for us, it's a real serious problem. I was upset about this.

All these things are why I think this program needs to be shut down.

There are good people at Dundee. I have been grateful for the kindness of my son's family Rep, as well as another young Costa Rican, who allowed my son to visit his home and travel with him to meet me in Miami. There are good people, who deserve much heartfelt gratitude; But they have a despicable employer, In my opinion.