Author Topic: Desisto School  (Read 79777 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 10:34:00 AM »
Hey "MC", who are you?  I'm sure I know you, as I was there in late '95, '96 as well.  I came in Sept. '95 and just missed the riots.  I went thru alot myself and spent 4 months on the farm.  I'm Tony by the way.

e-mail me : [email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »
I worked there for 4 months during the summer of '95 and would advise that no parent should send their child there.  It was an abusive place, cult like, and I still can't believe some of the 'punishments' or 'means of discipline' that were used.  The parent groups led the parents to believe that they are the problems and the reasons the adolescents are at the school. This in turn brings a lot of guilt to the parents and the parents don't listen to there teens.  When the parents did listen to their teens, the parents were so shocked by the stories that they thought the teens were making them up.  Unfortunately, they were not made up.  

I worked on the 'farm' and my own pets get better treatment than the students did on the farm.  

I would continue to look into different programs and stop looking at this one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »
On 2004-02-23 18:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Desisto School has gotten a lot of bad press here.  

Desisto has gotten a lot of bad press PERIOD, not just here.

I am a parent of a 20 year old presently enrolled at he school.  He was a failure in high school, in his personal relations, a drug and alcohol abuser.  He went to Elan school for 8 months and left after his 18th birthday.

He though he could return to his local high scool, but after a few stable months, things spiralled downward, and he was arrested for multiple crimes.

Where do you send these kids?  Most get arrested and warehoused in prison.

why do you have to send them anywhere.  I have a kid that was doing the same stuff as your son, somehow she seemed to make it through life without a program.  We went through some of the most scary times in my life during those couple of years.  Drugs, staying out all night, I hated all her friends, school went to hell etc. etc.  She needed help, just like it sounds like your son needs help, but to send him away, isolate him from those that TRULY love him (you and your wife) will only serve to create more damage.  I don't know if there is physical abuse in that school or not, I haven't looked that far into it....but as a kid that was put into a program and as a parent of a 'troubled' teen (they're ALL troubled) I can give you BOTH points of view.  You can get your child through this period in his life.  It's going to take a lot of hard work, sleepless nites etc., but no one ever said it was going to be easy...at least no one ever said it to me.

Desisto rescued him and has made him a success story.  I have my life back again too, and my family is healing.

Ask him in about 5 - 10 years how he feels about what happened to him in there.  
Sure kids hate being there.  Most of them are bright people who think they have control over everything and anyone.  At Desisto, they are with dozens of other kids that have problems that their families and schools could not control...  girls cutting themselves, uncontrollable urges, addictions to drugs, food and sex...The first few months are rough when you are out of control.

WHat is this??  A one-stop for any 'addiction' your child may have???

If you run away from the program before you learn to trust yourself,  and take positive steps for your future, of course you won't see the benefits.

Program rhetoric.  If you leave you'll be DEADINSANEORINJAIL...that's dead, insane or in jail for those of you who have never been incarcerated in one of those places.  It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Tell them that enough and they'll make it come true because they BELIEVE they won't make it without the beloved program.

These kids have many problems that take time to resolve, and a lifetime of control must follow.

Yes, and it begins LONG BEFORE there is a 'problem with your kid' (maybe the problem is with you)

Not outside mind control.....

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Well, we agree on this one...the mind control is all coming from the inside.

If you ask the people that have recently graduated, most would admit that they would probably be dead if it were not for the Desisto School.

Please refer to my above DEADINSANEORINJAIL response.

The kids that have sunk so low will be permanently scarred from their ordeals.  They need a psychological therapeutic community to emerge and flourish.

No, they need parents willing to tackle the tough issues without sending their kids off someplace to get fixed.

Desisto is such a place.  Deny this at your own risk."

No, DO this at your CHILDS risk.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2004, 11:37:00 AM »
DAMN......keep forgetting to login.  That was me up there.

To make certain that crime does not pay, the government should take it
over and try to run it

--G. Norman Collie

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/cleopatra2u
Desisto School
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »
What I have to say on this topic, and to any parent who is considering sending their child to a long-term specialty school, boot camp, treatment program, or whatever...  Is that life is too short, childhood in particular is too short, to spend months or even years living apart from the people who love you...  Provided they really love you.

I too was a "problem" child, involved with alcohol, drugs, sex, and crime in my early teens.  How much my behavior had to do with my parents (mostly my mother) being neglectful, physically and mentally abusive, and sheltering me from the outside world, I don't know...  I wasn't capable of considering this until years after I left the worst of the places I wound up in because my parents chose to give me away to strangers rather than deal with the problem at home ourselves...  A place called Straight, Inc.

I realize not all places are as bad as Straight was.  I also spent time in a Psychiatric Institute, a couple of group homes, jails, and a foster home, all because my parents chose to give me away to strangers rather than deal with the problem at home ourselves.  The point I want to make here is that it is not so much where my parents sent me as the fact that they sent me away in the first place.  It was like they gave up being parents.  It was like they gave birth to me just to throw me away a few years later.  I don't think anything worse can happen to a child than for their parents not to want them anymore...  Even parents who were less than stellar, like mine.

I did not realize all this until I became an adult, partly because of the way Straight drilled into me that it was all my fault.  Because I was bad.  All my fault.  Over and over again.  And that no parent would want a child like me.  Okay, I have already been more or less abandoned, and now the people who are supposed to be "helping" me are putting me down and telling me that I'm not worth the parents who abandoned me in the first place!  That I'm not worth my neglectful, abusive, abandoning parents!  And to think I had self-esteem issues before I went to "treatment"!

Again, I realize not all places are as bad as Straight was, but from what I?ve heard and read here and elsewhere, it seems that many long-term specialty schools, boot camps, and treatment programs drill the same negative thoughts into children?s heads that Straight drilled into mine -- that the children are bad, that their problems are all their fault, that they are worthless, that their families don?t want them.  All this negative reinforcement on top of being abandoned in the first place!

I know not all parents believe they are "abandoning" their children when they send them off to some place for "help", but since so many of these places do not allow contact between parents and children, at least at first, that?s sure as hell how it feels to the child.  That?s sure as hell how it felt to me.

For a while I actually thought Straight helped me -- for a while after I turned 18 and was emancipated, I was clean and sober and going to AA meetings; my parents were happy; my parents even allowed me to come back home and live with them.  But it was never the same at home.  Never the same, even though I was doing what my parents wanted?  Never the same because any trust I ever had for my parents had gone once they made the choice to give me away to strangers rather than deal with the problem at home.  Despite their failures as parents and my failures as a child, we might have a had a chance -- a chance not only just to get along but to become a closer, stronger family -- if they hadn?t made the choice they did.

I moved out of my parents? house as soon as I could (before they kicked me out or sent me away again, I figured).  I moved out before I was ready.  I moved in with an abusive boyfriend.  I wasn?t earning enough money to pay my bills and I got into credit card debt that I am still struggling through today.  For years I have questioned whether my parents really loved me.  I probably always will.

To the anonymous parent who stated that "Desisto rescued [his/her son] and has made him a success story", let me reiterate what Ginger said: "Ask him in about 5 - 10 years".  For your family?s sake, provided you really care, I hope your son doesn?t come to the same conclusions I have.

To any parent who is considering sending their "problem" child away...  If you really love your child, don?t risk losing months or even years of their lives...  Don?t risk losing them permanently.

~ Mindi

(edited for grammar and punctuation)

[ This Message was edited by: Cleopatra2U on 2004-02-24 12:50 ]
he trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2004, 02:25:00 PM »
:nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:

Brilliantly stated :exclaim:

An Animated Cartoon Theology:
1. People are animals.
2. The body is mortal and subject to incredible pain.
3. Life is antagonistic to the living.
4. The flesh can be sawed, crushed, frozen, stretched, burned, bombed, and plucked for music.
5. The dumb are abused by the smart and the smart destroyed by their own cunning.
6. The small are tortured by the large and the large destroyed by their own momentum.
7. We are able to walk on air, but only as long as our illusion supports us.
-- E. L. Doctorow "The Book of Daniel"

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/cleopatra2u
Desisto School
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2004, 03:40:00 PM »
Thanks, Cayohueso.

he trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2004, 11:12:00 PM »
Excellent post, Cleo.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »
/bump
Ditto from me... :tup:

Offline grassymtn

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
Where did you go? I went to the school at Howey in the Hills. I was "put on the road" JTM
TM

Offline grassymtn

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »
On 2004-02-25 16:16:00, grassymtn wrote:

"Where did you go? I went to the school at Howey in the Hills. I was "put on the road" JTM"

ps does anyone remember "limit structures"
TM

Offline grassymtn

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »
I went to the Howey in the Hills school back in the 80's. The stories that you have heard, and briefly touch upon, are just a glimpse what really transpires at the school. However, I have no hard feelings about having gone there. It was an eye opener and I was at a different place back then. I know there are other, more positive alternatives though. I know that as a parent you are only shown a peak of what really transpires inside.There is a lot of manipulation that goes on. I was there for 18 months before being "put on the road", which means that the schools drops you off on the highway in central florida or stockbridge and you are left to your on devices.I thumbed back to Boston, knowing that my family would not communicate with me based on the schools "tough love" policy. The tuition that th school demands could be spent elsewhere on more positive approaches.I would be glad to answer any questions if you have any? Good luck.  JTM
TM

Offline Marina

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »
"Desisto", in Portuguese, means "Give Up". How can you send you kids to a placement named like that?

Offline CARTER MARLOW

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »
If you wanna know more about DiSisto, I can tell you all about it. I was in a dorm called the "NewBoys" and it was fucking bullshit. The whole program and everything it represented was a lie......IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT IT THEY CAN TALK TO ME ON AIM= BOOTDISK7, ASK FOR RAZ

Not a place upon earth might be so happy as America. Her situation is remote from all the wrangling world, and she has nothing to do but to trade with them.
--Thomas Paine

would first like to say that I was a student at the Desisto School and you can ask me more about it if you want.

Offline CARTER MARLOW

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2004, 12:43:00 AM »
I WAS THERE DURING THAT TIME TOO, MY NAME IS CARTER MARLOW. IF YOU CAN TALK TO ME I AM [email protected] PR AIM= BOOTDISK7.........I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO PEOPLE FROM THERE AGAIN. DO YOU REMEMBER JAMAL ROBERTS?

Q. I simply ask, why is PUNISHMENT the solution with regards to the narrow group of behaviors which encompass illegal drug use....?

A.Pharmaceutical Business, both legal and illegal, run by the same people either way, money coming to the middle from both ends.  Bush.
http://www.luxefaire.com/' target='_new'>Bill Gallagher

would first like to say that I was a student at the Desisto School and you can ask me more about it if you want.