Author Topic: Alcoholism is not a "disease" here is why  (Read 8433 times)

Offline AACameToBe

• View Profile
Alcoholism is not a "disease" here is why
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
Read people please, there are some very persuasive arguments here.....not!!

Post a reply
12 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 12

Postby AkathisiA » Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 pm
Quick Facts about Psychiatry

While posing as “authorities” on the mind and mental health, psychiatry has no scientific basis for any of its treatments or methods.
Real Disease vs. Mental “Disorder”

Psychiatric disorders like alcoholism and addiction (alcohol dependence, DSM-IV 303.90; alcohol abuse, DSM-IV 305.00) are not medical diseases. There are no lab tests, brain scans, X-rays or chemical imbalance tests that can verify any mental disorder is a physical condition. This is not to say that people do not get depressed, or that people can’t experience emotional or mental duress and drink to much, but psychiatry has repackaged these emotions and behaviors as “disease” in order to sell drugs and "treatment". This is a brilliant marketing campaign, but it is not science.
Very noticeable would be the absence of the word, even the idea, of cure, whether amongst addicts, families of addicts, government officials, media or anywhere else.

In its place are words like disease, illness, chronic, management, maintenance, reduction and relapse. Addicts in rehab are taught to refer to themselves as “recovering,” never “cured.” Stated in different ways, the implicit consensus that has been created is that drug addiction is incurable and something an addict will have to learn to live with—or die with.

The failure of the war against drugs is largely due to the failure to stop one of the most dangerous drug pushers of all time: the psychiatrist. The sad irony is that he has also established himself in positions enabling him to control the drug rehab field, even though he can show no results for the billions awarded by governments and legislatures. Governments, groups, families, and individuals that continue to accept his false information and drug rehabilitation techniques, do so at their own peril. The odds overwhelmingly predict that they will fail in every respect.

Drug addiction is not a disease. Real solutions do exist.

Clearing away psychiatry’s false information about drugs and addiction is not only a fundamental part of restoring hope, it is the first step towards achieving real drug rehabilitation.

See www.cchr.org . I thank them for informing me of the truth when I was the victim of psychiatric abuse in the name of "treatment" for my "disease".

AkathisiA

Re: Alcoholism is not a "disease" here is why

Postby dorak nob » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 am

The failure of the war against drugs is largely due to the failure to stop one of the most dangerous drug pushers of all time: the psychiatrist.

i really did want to believe that my substance abuse problem could be cured by some sort of feel better pill. Tried many many different combos and was left feeling indifferent . Stayed depressed on antidepressants , got weird on mood stabilizers . Became nutty on Xanax. I'm sure some people have had marvelous results with these drugs , just not me . So now I am labeled with treatment resistant depression, oh my . I will give the psychiatrist credit for not pushing AA they were the only doctors who didn't see that as an option. My personal opinion is addiction is a choice , some of us go their to escape a miserable episode in ones life.

dorak nob

Postby Ironic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:31 am
I agree, dorak. When I use, it is because I choose to.

Haven't used since I turned 23 and planning on keeping it that way!

Ironic

Postby btnben » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Ironic wrote:I agree, dorak. When I use, it is because I choose to.

Haven't used since I turned 23 and planning on keeping it that way!

Good girl. Keep doing your pushups in the parking lot one day at a time :evil: :evil:

btnben
    Site Admin

Postby mfc66 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:15 pm
In fact I have not abused opiates since I was 23 although I have used other things. I think that this is because I realised that the way I was living back then was suicidal and infant a close friend of mine had died which shook me up. I think many people take drugs and and binge excessively when they are in their teens and twenties but then as the responsibility of life grows they move on. However others like myself , tended to surround themselves with other crazy people and head off for a pint whenever possible and convinced myself that this was acceptable. In way it was, there is a pub in every other street in most Uk cities, and finding others in my part of London who were doing the same thing was no problem. This kind of behaviour seems to be growing in most uk towns where binge drinking especially amongst women seems to be getting out of control. I did not view cocaine in the same way as opiates either probably because it was on offer at all the " right parties" that I went to. I can see I grew a habit over the years and even replaced one substance with another but to call this a disease is simply stupid. What other disease makes people steal to feed it, to jump in there car and drive home turning it into a weapon after six beers or prositute themselves so they can stick needles in their arms. By the way I did not do those things but that was something I often heard in the 12 step rooms and yet I was supposed have the same alcoholic disead mindset as those people. On reflection I cannot think of a more different or bizzare group of people than I found in the average meeting. To give the old queen the same cure as a football hooligan or the lonely house wife based on the ill defined disease theory was just crazy.
http://recoveringfromrecovery.com

mfc66
    Site Admin

Postby Avo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 am
Akath said:

Addicts in rehab are taught to refer to themselves as “recovering,” never “cured.”

For whatever reason when I read about AA or related issues I think of cult characteristics. :? This is one to add to the list: You won't get better. Always sick. Always needy. "We" have the remedy but you need us forever.

My former sponsor had still been considering herself as recovering when I left the program. She had more than 15 years sober at the time and still attended several meetings a week. "My name is X and I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict". She often expressed anxiety over mixed meetings but never talked about cravings or anything substance related. The disease to which was troubling her revolved around the symptoms like obsessive thoughts (regarding anything from shopping to step work) and her problems of sponsees. To me it seemed like she was just human and not even suffering from addiction anymore, let alone a disease.

I think AA brings on a bunch of problems, especially if you stick around for a long period.
Pro Empowerment!

Avo

Postby Kelly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:52 am
I listened closely at meetings, and the reasons that it seems old timers go to AA and NA:
* they mistakenly think their natural human thoughts are not normal, ie if she is mad at her sister she said "that was my disease talking". After 17 yrs clean
* they think they are just different from other people, ie "I always felt different from other people"
* they have mental disorders and attribute their struggles in life to their past addiction, not their current mental disorder (bipolar and depression are common)
* they have mommy/daddy issues which result in unhealthy relationships,and the meetings give them comfort they cannot get anywhere else
* they are otherwise normal people, like me, but they go because they BELIEVE the scare stories. They are afraid if they stop going to meetings then they will "relapse".
* people who are more comfortable living in the past, ie they feel safer in the meetings reliving their drinking/drug use than in moving forward with their lives. All their friends are members of the program.

Kelly

Postby live_free_or_die » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:39 am
Addiction is a Choice

by Jeffrey A. Schaler

Below is a link to a book written by Dr. Schaler

I especially like "The Credo of the Free-Will Model"

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr= ... &q&f=false

http://www.schaler.net/
Pro Empowerment - Engage & Enable

live_free_or_die

Postby Kelly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:17 pm
It has never been proved that there is a disease of addiction. Research it. It is a myth, a fallacy. What boggles the mind, is that in the age of science, people just blindly believe this claim.

That's why I wrote in my earlier post why people THINK they have this disease. You have to BELIEVE you have it, because it does not exist.

Just like people thought house prices only go up (how many booms have we had in California and they still don't learn!!), just like in the 1late 1990's all the investors thought internet stocks only go up (even though there was no profit on many of these companies!), I could go on an on. People can be really stupid.

Always question everything.

Kelly

Postby Avo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am
Good point Kelly, about believing AA is a disease - or not.

I question if people believe in the disease theory because they really want to be sick. This lets them off the hook and gives an excuse as to not just change. This also opens the door to being able to believe that they are special and receiving miracles of God when they heal from their drinking obsession.

I'll admit that I wanted to feel special too but I more so want to actually be special. It doesn't work when it's phony, I'd actually be more prone to use over my feelings of living a lie.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »