Author Topic: RFR and Mfc66 does sprituality!!  (Read 6594 times)

Offline AACameToBe

• View Profile
RFR and Mfc66 does sprituality!!
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »
Spirituality

Postby Vicky345uk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:08 pm
Hello people,

I was just wondering does anyone on this site have some kind of faith or spirituality in their lives???? I do meditate everyday and I sometimes take a trip up to the Buddhist centre when I can, I go because it's such a beautiful peaceful place. When I was in AA I had this I image in my mind of God just loving and caring for alcoholics and we were special ( frigging brainwashed) now I feel a little distant from God since leaving AA. Does that make sense?????

Vicky345uk

Re: Spirituality

Postby leon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:43 pm
Hi Vicky,i was pretty angry when i first left a/a,i thought "how could this god have me drinking again" but i swore i'd rather die of drink than go back to the asylum of a/a, about 7 years ago i got myself a computer,never had a clue how to even turn it on,i saw that there were many people who felt the same way about a/a as i did.

Eventually i got myself sober (coming up on 5 years) no groups or counselling, just me,my belief in god is very strong today, i don't believe in ANY! organised religions but i try to live a fairly decent life,i met an old lady in weston super mare a few years ago and she said to me "let your life be a prayer" that has stuck in my head and i try to do it most of the time, i aint no saint but i'm getting close :lol:

leon

Postby Vicky345uk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:00 pm
Wow like that, yeah I don't want to be part of an organised religion again. I am doing a reiki course in a couple of weeks so really looking forwad to that xx

Vicky345uk

Postby smartypants » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:12 pm
my spirituality has changed ten fold over the last year. to the point were A.As god didnt fit my idea of god, for instance i dont pray to my god, im hear to learn or remember hes left me to it and itll all be ok in the end. A.A has alot of prayers and i see this as childish. thanking him all the time. i just get on with it.

I totaly know how you feel though. when i tried to leave A.A over a year ago. my god was the A.A god and i couldnt connect with it atall. i hadnt just left my support network but left my god too. OMG HOW BRAINWASHED! with no support and feeling disconected i ran back to aa. but i soon started reading spiritual books by deepak chopra and conversations with god (you can get them realy cheep on amizon) this compleatly changed my view on god, after that i felt disconected in meetings lol. and since i left i still have my faith.
Be happy for no reason, like a child. If you are happy for a reason, you're in trouble, because that reason can be taken from you.

Deepak Chopra

smartypants

Postby mfc66 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:37 pm
i use meditation a lot and have found it useful but my experience in AA has completely turned me away from religion and I do not feel the need to search for any faith although many do find comfort from it. I do not come from a religious background and rejected it pretty young along with father christmas but did try to find something when I was desperate to recover from addiction and told to do so. However, praying only made me feel self conscious and stupid as I felt i was simply talking to myself and as the days and meetings went by I found the whole concept of handing over to a higher power bizarre and pointless. That view has grown over time and strengthens every time I read anything written by an AA member.
http://recoveringfromrecovery.com

mfc66
    Site Admin

Postby silenced » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:04 am

mfc66 wrote: However, praying only made me feel self conscious and stupid as I felt i was simply talking to myself and as the days and meetings went by I found the whole concept of handing over to a higher power bizarre and pointless. That view has grown over time and strengthens every time I read anything written by an AA member.

Are the writings of AA members about higher powers and powerlessness the only things that reinforce your idea that religion - or spirituality - is pointless? Or do any discussions or articles or books about these topics do so? Is it just recoil about AA?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »