Author Topic: Fornits has helped save yet another teen from an RTC  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Reddit TroubledTeens

• View Profile
    • http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens
Fornits has helped save yet another teen from an RTC
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
Congrats, fornits, your hard work has helped another kid remain free. Great job to all here, this is by far the largest collection of info on RTC's on the internet. You should be proud of all you have accomplished.

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens/c ... nd_my_son/

I am a parent who has decided not to send my son to an RTC based on what I've learned here

submitted 20 hours ago by GeneReplicator

I can't remember how I came across this subreddit, but I vaguely remembered seeing a post or two from it when my wife and I decided we'd "had enough" a few days ago and I started research residential treatment options. I had the nagging sense that what we were contemplating amounted to warehousing our rebellious teenager, but frankly my wife and I were ready for that to preserve our sanity and protect our other kids from the bad influence and behavior.

Then I started reading the postings on this subreddit. The horror stories didn't sound like just a few isolated cases or kids with bad attitudes who would complain about anything. It seemed like real suffering, real injustice. One posting referred to the fornits site, and I looked there, too. Somehow, I found a link to the Help At Any Cost book, and I bought a copy for my Kindle and started reading.

I'm only halfway through the book, but I have reached my decision. No child of mine is going to ever set foot into one of these places. Yesterday he and I sat down for a while and had a good talk. He feels like he's just trying to live a normal teenage life. We disagree about a lot of things, and I do not accept a lot of what he thinks should just be normal acting out and having a good time. But I love this kid, and we're just going to have to find a way to live with each other for the next couple of years.

I hope you guys can take some comfort in knowing that your experiences have saved a certain teenager from having to go through the same hell. My best wishes to all of you in your recovery from what you've been through.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
Re: Fornits has helped save yet another teen from an RTC
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »
Tell him to have the kid start posting here. He'd learn something and he'd fit right in.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »
I was so happy when I read this... It just invigorates me even more to keep working to make a difference, even if it's just for one kid, one family, it's all worth it! Kudos to the Dad for caring more for his sons welfare than his own comfort. I know raising a teen can be difficult but it's really only a few years, compared to the grudge that a lot of us carry the rest of our lives after our parents sent us away.

Job well done Pixie, Fornits and Maia, Thank you for all that you do!!  
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Reddit TroubledTeens

• View Profile
    • http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »
Thanks, FemanonFatal2.0, and a pat on the back to you for your involvement! People like you who work hard to get the word out are what makes it easier for parents to get the true story about programs. I know you have donated countless hours of your own time to fornits and other activism, keep up the great work!