Author Topic: The Seed of Hope  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Ashtabula

• View Profile
The Seed of Hope
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:53:27 PM »
I got a copy of the Seed of Hope in the mail today. Just finished watching it. I couldn't find any signs of brainwashing, etc.. Just honesty and people trying to get a newcomer to start loving him/herself. Saw Susie Conners, Lybbi, John U., Terry S. Joan B (parent). Great memories. That was a wonderful time in my life. Love the Group.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
Re: The Seed of Hope
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:05:21 AM »
Quote from: "Ashtabula"
I got a copy of the Seed of Hope in the mail today. Just finished watching it. I couldn't find any signs of brainwashing, etc.. Just honesty and people trying to get a newcomer to start loving him/herself. Saw Susie Conners, Lybbi, John U., Terry S. Joan B (parent). Great memories. That was a wonderful time in my life. Love the Group.

Please tell me where I can get a copy.
?©?€~¥@

Offline I'll kick your arse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
Well I suppose than it did its job, thats what all propaganda material is supposed to do, present one side of the coin and usually the "dope" side.

Let me say this, not one of those mentioned in your post had any experience or business working with minor children nor did they have any  license to practice psychology.

It is nothing short of a miracle that nothing known happened to children in those foster homes, I say known because who knows what crimes were covered up.

Parents did not know where their children were and the sole accountability was a drunk AA guy with a narcissistic ego. He couldn't fit in anywhere else so he created his own little fiefdom until Dade County shut his ass down.

Those people had no business at all with dealing with children ages 9-17, none, period.

Shit, Lybbie abuses animals now and Shelly, well I am sure she is kicking it in the condo in Fort Lauderdale now that the fat man has crawled back toward hell.

No offense, but my experience wasn't the same as yours but good luck with that kool aid you are drinking, did you want a bologna sandwich on white bread to go with that?

:soapbox:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:40:16 PM by I'll kick your arse »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
I only saw short clips of it. It brought back some deeply disturbing feelings. Par of it is, as you note, Ass Kicker, it all seems so lovely and harmless to the uninitiated. To a little kid, that translates to "I'm on my own, no one will believe me or help me!"
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
They had so many people fooled, but like all "good" things, it came to an end.

Too bad it spawned so many other programs where profit over the hides of children are numero uno, after all, the child will recover, right?

Oh, except those that died or are permanently fucked up ; at the hands of the crypt keeper, lets not forget them, those casualties of the war on drugs  psfttt

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »
He who will not remember his history is doomed to repeat it.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient.
It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.
--  A. A. Milne

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
I think some of that was shot while I was there. I might be in it.I WANT A COPY!!
?©?€~¥@

Offline pimps and whores

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 05:03:02 AM »
Seed motto! BROS B4 HOS, MAN

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 01:08:35 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
I think some of that was shot while I was there. I might be in it.I WANT A COPY!!
?©?€~¥@

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
What a piece-of-shit site!!

Why spend so much time here then?

Don't you have a wife and kid?

I bet they wonder just what you are up to when you are sitting at the ole dell monitor laughing like a hyena; as you type away  in your skivvies.

Naw, they already know you are ogling pics of "Stack" while you spend hours searching for every detail of his life.

Stalker alert: there are reduced airfares to Japan from LAX right now, if you save the disability checks for a few weeks and lay off the cheetos and sodi pop, you can probably afford to go see him and maybe help save Japan dolphins at the same time.

Bon voyage cretin, we'll be anxiously awaiting your full report when you return from the land  of la

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 03:50:09 PM »

?©?€~¥@

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »
That page currently reads:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Seed Of Hope

THE-SEED-OF-HOPE.NET

THIS DOMAIN NAME IS FOR SALE TO A GOOD HOME

Contact http://www.wolfsonarchives.org[/list][/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
    Although the Internet Archive does not seem to have taken notice of this site (perhaps because it wasn't around long enough), and the domain name is already up for sale (as noted above), there are still copies of certain pages kicking around in Google's cache. Here's the "Welcome" page:

The Historical Seed Videos
    A retrospective on Art Barker's Seed Program

Welcome

Welcome to this Blog. Recently The Wolfson Archives, In conjunction with a private donor, restored "the Seed of Hope", a WTVJ Original Film. This film was shot in June of 1972, was produced by Francis Stone and "starred" Ralph Renick and of course, Art Barker and The Seed, a drug Rehab for mostly juveniles that was formed in 1970, in Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

The video was first shown on WTVJ, and then was released to TV channels across Florida. Copies of the film, in can, were made and shown as a recruiting tool at Various  civic associations, often by groups called "seed advisory boards", which consisted mostly of parents of Kids that had been admitted to the seed by either the courts or by their parents.

The seed was highly controversial  and in a 1974 report by the 'Committe on the Judiciary United States Senate, ninety-third Congress', The Seed was accused of    “”similar to the highly refined "brainwashing" techniques employed by the North Koreans in the early nineteen fifties, the method is used in the treatment of drug abusers”". The seed and its founder, Art Barker, were also heralded as a possible solution to the growing drug crises. One estimate is that roughly 10,000 Florida and Ohio juveniles were admitted to The Seed in the early 1970s.  As the Seed's popularity wained, other drug rehabs founded by parents of Seed Graduates formed and copied the modalities, and these techniques were passed on to other juvenile rehab  copycat programs, some still in existence today.

This video sat 'in the can' for over 30 years, and the Wolfson archive carefully and lovingly restored them.  Since they were sitting so long, in film format, there are spots where the audio and/or video do not work.  In addition,  Most of the material restored were cuts and drafts: things that did not make the final production and/or were pieced together and used in the final production.  This blog exists to bring these videos back alive and to bring them back into the public arena for viewing.

The Archive has licensed their publication here, and if you are interested in ordering these videos, without timestamp, for your video  project, you can contact the archive directly:

Lynn & Louis Wolfson
    Florida Moving Image Archives
    101 West Flagler Street
    Miami, Florida  33130
    (305) 37501505

These videos are copyrighted and the property of the archive and are used by permission soley on this website. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

We will also be adding other content that is pertinent to this story, such as newspaper articles and documents.

Comments on this blog are moderated for content and subject to approval.  As the purpose of this blog is historical, no profanity, swearing, or otherwise offense comments will be approved. The purpose of the blog is not to debate, but to present historical information.   Further, some people may have been shot in these videos while they were children. Please respect the fact that they may not wish to be identified by name.

Thank you for reading, and enjoy.
    ?
    ~ by The Historical Seed Videos on January 7, 2011.
    Posted in Uncategorized