Author Topic: St. John's Military School - Violence Alleged  (Read 15545 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Ex-St. John's cadets claim they were beaten
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
Here's a small collection of Salina Journal articles, starting off with a particularly excellent one by Mike Strand that I neglected to include earlier:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Salina Journal
Ex-St. John's cadets claim they were beaten

3/14/2012
By MICHAEL STRAND

Derek Wolfe a St. John's Military School cadet from Evergreen, Colo. runs toward his company's formation after his name was called Tuesday afternoon during the forming of the corps ceremony at the school. The ceremony marks the beginning of each school year at St. John's Military School. (photo by Jeff Cooper, Salina Journal)

A lawsuit filed last week in federal court in Kansas City describes St. John's Military School as a place where experienced students -- called "Disciplinarians" -- regularly abuse new students and administrators "conspire with certain students" to beat students who complain.

School President Andy England said he didn't have any immediate comment and was meeting with legal counsel to decide what the school's response would be.

The suit names as plaintiffs four former students at St. John's.

Two of the former students are from Colorado, and one each is from Texas and Illinois, though attorney Daniel Zmijewski said additional students could be added later. All of the cadets are listed only as being under the age of 18.

Defendants include St. John's, as well as the Episcopal Church of the United States, and the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas, because the school is affiliated with the Episcopal Church.

The lawsuit seeks a judgment in excess of $75,000, plus court costs and punitive damages, on each of several counts.

The minimum amount required for a claim to be filed in federal court is $75,000.

"These are only allegations at this point," Zmijewski said. "This is the pattern I've seen in the past, and what I've heard from these kids this time. I need to do a lot more discovery to confirm it."

Abuse was encouraged

"The school allows and encourages older students to abuse young students -- physically, mentally, emotionally and sexually," the lawsuit alleges. The suit does not claim any of the four defendants was sexually abused but that one of the students did witness an attempted rape.

"Although St. John's requests that students inform school personnel if beatings occur, it subsequently tells the Disciplinarians which individuals reported the beatings," the suit states. "It is commonly known throughout the school that if a student reports any beatings, he will suffer significant retribution."

The lawsuit also claims that if parents contact the school about abuse, that information is passed on to the Disciplinarians, "which results in additional abuse."

Gagged and beaten

One plaintiff, who attended St. John's in the spring of 2011, claims in the lawsuit that he was bound, gagged and beaten by several students, with photos posted to Facebook, forced to roll in mud, and then urinated on in the shower by several students.

Another plaintiff claims he attempted to leave the school and hitch-hike home and was apprehended by several students and a ranking faculty member on a highway. While being driven back to the school, he alleges that he was beaten, hooded and beaten again in the presence of the faculty member.

Another claims he was sent to the hospital with a broken eye socket after being kneed in the face by a ranking cadet.

Making up stories

In every case, the lawsuit claims, parents were told the cadets were exaggerating or making up stories because they wanted to go home.

Zmijewski said he filed a lawsuit against St. John's several years ago over similar allegations made by two cadets who are brothers; that case was settled.

"This case is similar, the same kind of allegations," Zmijewski said. "I don't think the school is going to be shocked by this."

In all, he said, St. John's has settled nine such cases since 2006.

Not the first suits

In 2004, two cadets claimed in lawsuits that they were beaten by fellow cadets.

In one case, a 14-year-old cadet claimed that he had his hands and feet bound with tape and was beaten with broomsticks and coat hangers, allegedly for breaking his marching rifle.

In a separate suit, a 15-year-old cadet claimed that he was choked unconscious and had his jaw fractured and teeth knocked out due to beating from a group of fellow cadets.

That boy received substantial medical reconstructive treatment, plastic surgery and dental implants due to the trauma he suffered, according a previous Journal story.

The Journal reported in 2004 that the suit alleged that cadets were forced to take part in beating other boys in order to avoid being beaten themselves.

-- Reporter Mike Strand can be reached at 822-1418 or by email at [email protected].

Copyright © 2012 Salina Journal and MediaSpan
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Ex-St. John's cadets claim they were beaten"
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »
A fraternity of SJMS apologists tries to defend the good name of their alma mater by attacking the alleged victims. Good one.

Might they have learned at least some of this honorable behavior ... while ensconced in the hallowed halls of St. John's?

:dose:

Comments left for the above article, "Ex-St. John's cadets claim they were beaten" (by Michael Strand, 3/14/2012, Salina Journal), #s 1-20:

Michael Lynn Carroll · Wednesday at 7:07am
    NO WAY....St. John's Military School. They are such RICH outstanding young men.
Kimberly Rodriguez Trigg · Kansas State University · Wednesday at 1:27pm
    Really? Really? It's sad really sad that these kids had to go through this type of abuse, these kids that took part in the beatings are being shown that this behavior is ok.
Reddit TroubledTeens · Wednesday at 2:59pm
    It sounds like the abuse at St. John's Military School is systematic and has been going on for decades. In 2004 it came out that the abuse had been happening for 10 years, there were 28 cases of abuse reported, and now this is the tenth lawsuit against St. John's! More info & links to articles here:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=39191&p=415084#p415084.[/list]
    Reddit TroubledTeens · Wednesday at 8:58pm
      Rex Scates Whups, yes, the link I gave you would've required you to scroll up for more info, sorry I meant to give the main link--but this one will require you to scroll down:
    viewtopic.php?f=49&t=39191&start=0

Within that thread, it says:

Source KWCH-TV (Wichita, KS)
    State KS
    Year 2004

"This KWCH investigation revealed a 10-year pattern of abuse at a Kansas military school. A tip from a former employee of the school prompted the TV station to FOIA police records, which noted 28 cases of abuse including boys being beaten with broomsticks, burned with lighters and kicked repeatedly."

source: http://www.ire.org/resource-center/stories/21860

The article above says "St. John's has settled nine such cases since 2006."

Thanks for asking for more info. Yes, I would think the authorities would be all over this place, it's unfathomable that KS lets St. John's stay open this long.[/list]
    Patrick Harden · Oklahoma State University · Wednesday at 10:20pm
      Reddit TroubledTeens SJMS is a great institution. Yeah, it sucked, but we all had to deal with it. It was very common for cadets to create fanatical stories in order to leave the school, I did it myself too during my first year. Some cadets will just go to extraordinary lengths to leave, and this article is a representation of it.
    Reddit TroubledTeens · Thursday at 7:42am
      Patrick Harden Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been studying places like St. John's for about a year now and ten lawsuits against a single facility is a lot. Does St. John's require cadets who have been there longer to supervise newer cadets? Why do kids want to leave so badly they are willing to say or do anything?
    Rex Scates · Top Commenter · Owner-Operator at BC Marketplace and Almost Forever Jewelry · Thursday at 8:22am
      Reddit TroubledTeens look up JROTC its part of the program that occurs at JROTC programs they are required to supervisor lower 'ranked" kids. yes in many public highschools across the USA in JROTC supervise lower ranked kids. Yes they are not boarding schools but the idea is still the same. If you want to be a leader (higher ranked" you are required to "supervise" lower ranked kids. FYI this supervising is overseen by adults who are around all the time. supervise is in " ". Now ROTC in college they are all adults so no adult supervision except by real military people who train those ROTC leaders in college. But the idea is the same
    Heath Holmes · Manager at Maverick Enrgy LLC · Thursday at 5:05pm
      I was there for two years and I am one of these disaplanaries I supervised about 30 kids of lower rank. The worst punishment a kid was ever given on my watch was push UPS and marching circles on their Saturdays. And yes I was around all the time cause I lived ate and slept in the same place as some of these kids. Hell you wanna know why kids want out and will do anything to get out? Cause its not like home were you do what you want and get away with murder. I caught a kid shoving a lightbulb up his ass and stopped him while reporting it to adults his reason was he was going to tell his parents he was raped so he could leave cause that's the only equipment he could go home. I've toured the new dorms and the is no plqce in there that is not under video watch and adult supervision. These allegations agaisnt sjms are 110% false qnd I have 1000 other cadets who will agree
    [/list]
    Reddit TroubledTeens · Wednesday at 3:15pm
      People should know that abuse like this is happening in teen modification centers all over the country. There are 10,000-100,000 kids being held in facilities designed to 'break' them. It's a billion-dollar industry with big politicians profiting (Romney, Santorum). More info here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens/c ... _like_most.[/list]
    Allen Von · St. Johns · Wednesday at 5:34pm
      WOW! this is ridiculous.
      Edward Durney · Marcus High School · Wednesday at 5:48pm
        yeah of course cadets at st john's piss on other cadets i mean that's the only logical explanation!
      Jonah Comeaux · SJMS · Wednesday at 8:10pm
        Its amazing what the outside world thinks about St. Johns, kids are just exxagerating this crap and its funny how the outside world beleives it.
      [/list]
      Connor Dempsey · Wednesday at 5:54pm
        Kids will say anything to leave... And what the hell is a disciplinarain??
        John Panda RB Sun · Wednesday at 6:01pm
          thats fucking bullshit
        Merrick Tgod Best · Houston, Texas · Wednesday at 6:03pm
          Whaaaat
        Allen Von · St. Johns · Wednesday at 6:28pm
          The reporter's formal way of calling cadet staffs
        Connor Dempsey · Wednesday at 9:50pm
          that reporter is dumb... Kids will b kids, but tgeres dedenately more violence at any other public school.
        [/list]
        Dean Perez · Wednesday at 8:05pm
          haha too funnny I fucked so many kids up there lol.
          Dillon Ash · Wednesday at 8:08pm
            rofl!!!! xD theyre talking about you shean
          [/list]
          Dylan Yohe · Fist Pumper at Club Karma · Wednesday at 8:59pm
            Lmfao what they're sueing over happened like everyday :p

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          Comments: "Ex-St. John's cadets claim they were beaten"
          « Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
          Comments left for the above article, "Ex-St. John's cadets claim they were beaten" (by Michael Strand, 3/14/2012, Salina Journal), #s 21-40:

Ashton McKinney · Works at Truluck's · Wednesday at 9:01pm
            Haahah thats hillarious
            William Heath · Heath Motorsports and Automotive at Self  · 8 hours ago
              none of this is funny! in 1988 a kid wanted out so he grabbed a suger shaker and broke it on
              my head, after i kicked his ass i went to the infurmery where i got sowed up by the time i got back that cadet was on the first plane home! three years later i was a senior cadet and we did not issue beatings,but we were allowed to give the troubled cadets motivational seminars which included running,push ups.tourz outside commandants office and house and extra duty. We didnt have all this bs these kidz were saying and u can ask all cadets then we had tough leadership. now they have cameras everywhere and cadets cannot discipline other cadets,all power has besn taken away and as such is a glorified prep school with rotc compared to my day!
            William Heath · Heath Motorsports and Automotive at Self · 8 hours ago
              I know how new cadets r the push the rules and act like babies when they get caught! there has been hazing in every military academy in the us,the difference is in college its just part of it,but these kids in hi school well all im gonna say is do your duty,your school work,and keep ur room up and your good to go. screw up and your unit or squad pays the price just like the military.hello people its military school,this school is last stop for some,and in my case sjms looked great on my resume when i served with the special forces,so say what you will i feal sjms needs more discipline and its time for us old boys to straiten out sjms to bring it back to glory! get rid of profiles,implement push ups and sit ups and give the cadets power to run their corp! i love sjms/forever bleed oranve and black!
            [/list]
            Nick Z-Dro Zucker · Works at Being Poetic · Wednesday at 9:11pm
              the kid who ran on the highway was picked up by the commandant and he was never touched whatsoevver hes just another lieing little pussy tryying to get back at st johns cuz in reality he was a piece of shit.
              Josh Harris · 12 hours ago
                what i dont get is how do all of you talk about how you hate sjms and one day you'lll shut it down then someone tries and you sit there and guard the school like it's your home? and how do you know he wasn't touched? that was before you were on a.m.s....
              [/list]
              Nick Payan · Wednesday at 9:42pm
                No comment ^ but I was the best SDI ever! Just saying
              Kaleeb Steele · Wednesday at 11:31pm
                These "allegations" are by far the stupidest things I've heard!!... hope these people lose their lawsuit!!
              Jonathon Daniel Frank · Forward Observer at United States Army · Thursday at 12:48am
                When I was the BC, no such thing happened. Same when I was the CO of Bravo. These kids just want to leave. SJMS is hard to adjust to, and some people just can't take the pressure. I happily attended SJMS for 3 years, and will do whatever I can to defend such an excellent school against these allegations.
                Collin Cooper · Sales Associate at GO Toyota Scion Arapahoe · Thursday at 7:24am
                  Some bullshit! If only I had another 5 years at St johns! That place was home to many of us. It was only so sad for the kids that didn't want to follow the rules. Can't believe this shit.
                Kaleeb Steele · Thursday at 12:42pm
                  Agreed,! I had some hard times my first few weeks there, but i was NEVER to the extent of the B.S. I just read. Kinda pisses me off
                [/list]
                Jesse Chisholm · Denver, Colorado · Thursday at 12:58am
                  RAT 4 LIFE! kids need to man the f@## up!
                Heath Holmes · Manager at Maverick Enrgy LLC · Thursday at 4:48am
                  The worst punishment I ever saw at sjms was pushups running and marching the grinder. These kids claims are completely bogus. It's not sjms fault that some kids can't deal with new places.
                Heath Holmes · Manager at Maverick Enrgy LLC · Thursday at 4:55am
                  Not to mention it would be impossible for any such beatings to go on. There are cameras in every inch of the place and adults patrolling nonstop. The have bruise checks once a week. You could not get away with slaping a kid without being seen. Id go to court for sjms
                  Anthony Peoples · Bellevue West Senior High School · Thursday at 10:02am
                    Holmes you know very well what went on at that school. I know from first hand exp.
                  Heath Holmes · Manager at Maverick Enrgy LLC · Thursday at 10:59am
                    Get a clue ? I was there 2 years and I was one of these so called disaplanaries I was an Sdi the worst punishment I ever gave was pt
                  [/list]
                  Spencer Gunn · University of Colorado at Boulder · Thursday at 8:05am
                    I am willing to testify against such crap!
                  Francisco Puente · Mexico City, Mexico · Yesterday at 7:21am
                    Last August my son entered SJ for only one year. Immediately he openly hated the system, SJ conditions where by far tougher than he expected. Yesterday to our surprise, he told me he's considering the possibility to stay for another year! We could not believe it. It's obvious to me, once the kids adjust, SJ grows on them.
                  George Lang · Enrolled for phlabotamy and athletic training · 10 hours ago
                    I was a cadet at sjms in the 1980s and never had any thing like that happen. kids ill bet hese boys just didn't like the idea of being told what to do all the time and want to ggeyt back at the school.
                  George Lang · Enrolled for phlabotamy and athletic training · 10 hours ago
                    this old boy will gladly testifie on behalf of sjms.
                  Daniel Ditto · 9 hours ago
                    I went to sjms from 1987 to 1995 and nne of this ever happened and am still very much involved with sjms and I wil ltestify in court on sjms behalf.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  St. John's says lawsuit claims are being investigated
                  « Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
                  From a statement issued by St. John's Military School:

"St. John's denies that there was a culture of abuse, lack of institutional control, failure to supervise or any kind of cover-up as alleged by the attorney for the parents who have sued"...[/list][/size]
                    When ya don't have anything more definitive or conclusive to say, just deny, deny, and deny some more...

Salina Journal
                    St. John's says lawsuit claims are being investigated

3/15/2012
                    By the Salina Journal

Allegations of abuse of students contained in a lawsuit filed last week in federal court in Kansas City are being investigated, and attorneys for St. John's Military School will file a formal response to each allegation within days, according to a statement issued Tuesday by the school.

"St. John's denies that there was a culture of abuse, lack of institutional control, failure to supervise or any kind of cover-up as alleged by the attorney for the parents who have sued," the statement, issued in an email, said.

The lawsuit, which describes St. John's Military School as a place where experienced students - called "Disciplinarians" -- regularly abuse new students, was filed on behalf of four former cadets at the military school, who were identified only by their initials and the names of their parents. Two of the former students are from Colorado, and one each is from Texas and Illinois.

The suit alleges that the Disciplinarians beat the younger students at the school and that school administrators "conspire with certain students" to beat students who complained.

"St. John's is determined to defend itself against the allegations contained in the lawsuit and is confident that this matter will be properly and justly resolved through the legal system," the statement said.

Defendants named in the suit include St. John's, the Episcopal Church of the United States and the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas, because of the school's church affiliation.

Wednesday afternoon the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas issued a statement saying its listing as a defendant in the lawsuit is inaccurate.

"The inclusion of the Diocese of Kansas is a mistake, since the school is not connected to this diocese but is instead associated with the Episcopal Diocese of Western Kansas," the diocese's statement said.

An attorney representing the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas has contacted the plaintiffs' attorney to ask that the filing be corrected, the statement said.

The lawsuit seeks a judgment in excess of $75,000, plus court costs and punitive damages, on each of several counts. The minimum amount required for a claim to be filed in federal court is $75,000.

St. John's, which was founded in 1887, has been "dedicated to the development of young men" for more than 120 years, according to the school's statement.

The school's "objective is to provide a rigorous academic environment, opportunity for religious introspection and structured campus life to help develop young men with the highest degree of self-discipline and self-confidence," the statement said.

Recently, the 123rd Corps of Cadets earned the highest Annual Formal Inspection score of any military school in the country from the U.S. Army Cadet Command, the statement said. The school is accredited by both the Kansas Department of Education and AdvancED.

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
                      • http://www.pfctruth.com
                    Re: St. John's Military School - Violence Alleged
                    « Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »
                    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
                    Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                    Military school seeks gag order in abuse lawsuit
                    « Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
                    Here's the short AP teaser, prior to publication of a longer article by Mike Strand the following day:

Salina Journal
                    Military school seeks gag order in abuse lawsuit

3/15/2012
                    By the Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — St. John's Military school in Salina is asking a federal judge to bar the plaintiffs and lawyers in a lawsuit alleging abuse of former cadets from talking publicly about the case.

Attorneys for St. John's filed a motion Thursday in federal court in Kansas City seeking a gag order in the lawsuit by parents claiming their sons were repeatedly beaten by higher-ranking students in charge of discipline.

U.S. District Judge John Lungstrum scheduled a Tuesday hearing on the motion.

St. John's contends public discussion would prejudice its ability to get a fair trial. The school issued a statement Wednesday saying it was studying the allegations but denying the existence of a "culture of abuse."

St. John's has settled nine other lawsuits filed since 2006 alleging abuse.

Read more about the lawsuit in Friday's Journal.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                    St. John's seeks gag order in lawsuit
                    « Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »
                    ...And here's that longer article:

Salina Journal
                    St. John's seeks gag order in lawsuit

3/16/2012
                    By MICHAEL STRAND

Attorneys for St. John's Military School are seeking a gag order in a lawsuit filed against the school last week, saying pretrial publicity could make it difficult for the school to receive a fair trial.

The motion for the gag order was filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Kansas City.

Last week, families of four former students filed a lawsuit against the Salina military school, alleging a "culture of abuse," and that high-ranking cadets meted out beatings to maintain discipline.

The lawsuit received wide publicity in the Kansas news media starting with a story in the Salina Journal on Wednesday, though it was reported on earlier by at least two niche websites, Courthouse News Service and Conservative Babylon.

That publicity, along with various media interviews given by attorney for the four families, Daniel Zmijewski, will make it harder for the case to get a fair trial, St. John's argues.

"...not only is plaintiffs' counsel brazenly talking about the suit in public, but he is doing it in a forum where witnesses and/or potential jurors reside," the motion states. "Plaintiffs' counsel has taken his argument public, in a forum where defendants have no recourse or means in which to defend themselves, in a clear effort to tamper with the jury pool and/or win favor in the public domain."

U.S. District Judge John Lungstrum set a hearing on the motion for Tuesday.

St. John's issued a statement Wednesday saying it was studying the allegations and denying the existence of a "culture of abuse" at the military school.

-- Reporter Mike Strand can be reached at 822-1418 or by email at [email protected].

Offline Reddit TroubledTeens

• View Profile
                      • http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens
                    « Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
                    http://www.necn.com/03/20/12/Judge-deni ... fdc291f57d

Judge denies gag order in military school lawsuit

Mar 20, 2012 7:13pm

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — A federal judge declined Tuesday to impose a gag order in a lawsuit accusing a Kansas military school of allowing older students to discipline younger ones and fostering a culture of abuse.
                    Advertisement

Lawyers for St. John's Military School had sought to bar parties involved in the case from talking publicly after an attorney for the plaintiffs granted media interviews soon after filing the lawsuit this month. The plaintiffs, the parents of four former cadets, had called the request an attempt by the school to violate their free-speech rights.

St. John's attorney Derek Johannsen told U.S. District Judge John Lungstrum the motion was intended to keep the lawsuit from being tried in "a public forum."

"This case has drawn a significant amount of media attention already," Johannsen said.

But Lungstrum denied the motion.

Plaintiffs' attorney Dan Zmijewski, meanwhile, said he planned to file a motion to prevent St. John's students from purging their Facebook pages of anything that might be related to the plaintiffs' claims.

Court records show that since 2006, the military-style boarding school in Salina has settled nine lawsuits filed by parents, including one last year in which a federal judge found the school knew about the potential for hazing yet allowed higher-ranking cadets to discipline students.

The school has denied the claims.

"St. John's denies that there was a culture of abuse, lack of institutional control, failure to supervise or any kind of cover-up as alleged by the attorney for the parents who have sued," school officials said in a statement released last week.

A lawsuit settled last year included photos of a cadet's arm that had been branded with a hot, star-shaped medal as part of his initiation into "headquarters company" at the school. A school official acknowledged in a deposition that at least 10 other students were similarly branded but the school did not investigate them.

The cadet testified during a deposition that a couple of days before he was branded, he was subjected to "saber swats" on his bare skin by a captain for joining the new company. The sabers are part of the parade uniform of ranking cadets. The boy testified that the swats hurt "really bad."

The school sought to have the last abuse case thrown out, arguing there was no evidence of bad faith by the school and that the school made reasonable efforts to stop hazing. U.S. District Judge Carlos Murguia rejected the school's request in 2009, noting court records suggest that despite knowing the students were using sabers to swat other students, St. John's staff allowed certain students to wear them.

The judge also said there was evidence that St. John's did not investigate certain instances of branding. The school subsequently settled that lawsuit and the case never went to trial.

The current lawsuit contains similar allegations of "saber swatting" and other beatings, but makes no claim that brandings still go on at the school.

___

Associated Press writer Roxana Hegeman in Wichita contributed to this report.

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
                    « Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
                    Great news, I did not expect that. I guess it is becoming obvious to the judge what is going on.

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
                    « Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 07:54:18 PM »
                    http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/24/35 ... buses.html

Amended suit alleges new abuses at Kansas school

BY ROXANA HEGEMAN
                    Associated Press[/b]

WICHITA, KAN. -- A California boy attends only four days at a Kansas military boarding school where he is tormented by staff and students after breaking both his legs in separate incidents. A Tennessee student's stomach is forcibly branded as a rite of initiation. A Florida cadet breaks his hand fending off a student with a history of sexual abuse who tries to grope him, and school officials refuse to investigate or inform his parents of the attack.

These claims are the latest additions to a growing list of former cadets who allege in a federal lawsuit they were abused at St. John's Military School in Salina, Kan. An amended complaint filed Friday in federal court in Kansas City, Kan., now includes six sets of named parents who have filed on behalf of cadets, plus one ex-cadet who is now an adult. The plaintiffs come from California, Florida, Tennessee, Colorado, Texas and Illinois.

The Episcopal boarding school, which charges families nearly $30,000 per year for students enrolled in grades 6-12, draws students from across the nation.

Two new defendants are named in the revised lawsuit: The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America and the Episcopal Diocese of Western Kansas, entities which the suit says created the school.

"The parents of these kids don't want any other kids to suffer the way their kids did," said Dan Zmijewski, one of the plaintiffs' attorneys.

Their lawsuit, which was initially filed March 5, contends that the school allows and encourages older students to physically, mentally, emotionally and sexually abuse young students. According to court filings, the legal action purports to chronicle a "dangerous and disturbing culture at a boy's military school which must end."

St. John's has settled nine previous abuse-related lawsuits filed since 2006, court records show.

Amid widening media coverage of the latest lawsuit, more parents and cadets are coming forward with stories of abuse, Zmijewski said.

"It is just more kids who suffered extreme abuse at the hands of students while staff is watching - and is more indicative of what is going on there," he said.

Derek Johannsen, an attorney for St. John's, sent an email statement Saturday on the school's behalf. In it, he said the school denies the existence of a culture of abuse, and pointed out that St. John's has a 120-year history of helping young men develop skills in a safe environment.

"(The school's) objective is to provide a rigorous academic environment, opportunity for religious introspection and a structured campus life to help develop young men with the highest degree of self-discipline and self-confidence," the statement read.

Johannsen also wrote that some of the allegations in the lawsuit were investigated by law enforcement and no charges were filed. He said a formal response to the amended complaint will be filed soon.

In a separate settlement last year, the school argued it had made reasonable efforts to curb abuses, noting military schools nationwide have a problem with hazing. St. John's installed surveillance cameras in the hallways and instituted weekly bruise checks.

The new filing includes as an exhibit the California boy's X-ray, showing abuse so severe that the right femur bone was displaced several inches above the knee. Also included in the court filing is a photograph that had been posted on Facebook depicting a uniformed cadet from Texas gagged, blindfolded and bound with black duct tape.

Other allegations come from a Texas boy who was urinated on by other students in the shower, a Colorado student who was beaten in a van in front of a faculty member after trying to hitchhike home to escape earlier abuse and an Illinois cadet who suffered a fractured eye socket after being kneed in the head.

Posted on Sat, Mar. 24, 2012 03:06 PM

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/24/35 ... rylink=cpy

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
                    « Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:38 AM »
                    http://articles.kwch.com/2012-03-28/mic ... y_31252159

More Former Students Alleged Abuse at St. John's

March 28, 2012|By Melissa Scheffler | KWCH 12 Eyewitness News

(SALINA, Kan.) — Michael Kelly says he went to St. John's Military School to build a better future for himself. But Kelly says he couldn't move beyond the "culture of abuse" at the school. A picture that Kelly says shows him bound and blindfolded is now part of the latest allegations against the school.

"They sent it to my mother's phone. I think they took my cell phone and most likely got her number out of there. And then sent it to her,” Kelly said.

Kelly talked to FactFinder 12 via the internet from Tennessee. He's one of the three most recent former students to join a federal lawsuit against the school.  Kelly says the picture doesn't show the worst of it.

"I have a brand on my stomach, numerous cigarette burns, and about 30 scars on my right arm,” Kelly said.

Another new plaintiff says both of his legs were broken. The complaint says staff and students "dragged him by his ankles, shaking them wildly, kicked him in the knees, demanded he stand up on his broken legs." The complaint alleges an X-ray shows the student was abused so badly, "that the bone was displaced several inches below his knee."

St. John's Military School issued a new statement following these latest allegations. It says, it denies the existence of a culture of abuse. It also says some of the allegations in the lawsuit were investigated by law enforcement.  And, no charges were filed.

"I want to get it out there that this is real. This is happening. And, I don't want other kids to suffer like I did,” Kelly said.

Kelly says he tried to kill himself by over-dosing on prescription medication.

"I didn't really want to be there after seeing everything that was happening,” Kelly said.

The picture is now part of the lawsuit. St. John's says it will respond to each allegation in the upcoming days.

St. John's Military School issued a statement in regards to the picture allegedly showing Michael Kelly. It says, in part... "St. John's cannot confirm or deny the validity or authenticity of the photograph as no discovery has been conducted in the case. Plaintiffs' counsel continues to insist on trying this matter in the media where the rules of evidence do not apply."

Statement from Current St. John’s Parent

Our family has nothing but good things to say about our son’s education and safety at St. John’s Military School.  He has been enrolled there for two and a half years and throughout that time has never experienced any mistreatment by the school, or fellow students.

We visit our son and the campus about every six weeks and are extremely impressed with the school and the education our son is receiving there.

Our greatest fear is that allegations raised in this lawsuit could alter the terrific program at St. John’s.  We searched the country for a military school for our son before finding St. John’s, and we are so very pleased with our decision.  They have outstanding staff and the students are very respectful.  We fully support St. John’s and have the utmost confidence in our son’s attendance at the school.

Mark Johnson

Parent of St. John’s 6th Grader

Walnut Creek, California

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
                    « Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 06:03:25 AM »

• View Profile
                    « Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
                    A current student of St. John's Military School came to reddit and answered questions about the program and his experience there: http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens/c ... l_the_one/

• View Profile
                    « Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
                    http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new ... sas-school

Agency says it's still investigating Kansas school

By ROXANA HEGEMAN Associated Press
                    Posted:   04/11/2012 03:24:07 PM PDT
                    Updated:   04/11/2012 03:24:22 PM PDT

WICHITA, Kan.—The Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services says it's still investigating abuse allegations made by a 14-year-old boy who attended a military boarding school, and the agency disputes the school's claims that a department investigation "found no validity" to the former cadet's accusations.

The boy suffered two broken legs during the four days in August that he attended St. John's Military School in Salina.

"The investigation is still in progress and SRS has reached no conclusion," spokeswoman Angela de Rocha told The Associated Press in a phone interview Tuesday.

Jesse Mactagone, of Auburn, Calif., is among seven students whose families sued St. John's Military School last month. They claim the school allowed and encouraged older students, called "Disciplinarians," to discipline younger ones by beating and otherwise abusing them, including in the presence of faculty members. The plaintiffs come from California, Florida, Tennessee, Colorado, Texas and Illinois.

St. John's has settled nine other abuse lawsuits since 2006.

The comment from SRS comes in the wake of a court filing last week in response to the lawsuit in which the school claimed that SRS and Salina Police Department "investigated and found no validity" to allegations that Jesse's injuries were the result of cadets beating and kicking him. The school told the court all investigations into the matter concluded the boy was not hurt by fellow cadets.
                    Advertisement

Saline County Attorney Ellen Mitchell told AP that the Salina Police Department asked her office to review Jesse's alleged beatings for possible criminal prosecution. No arrests were made, and no charges filed.

"There was insufficient evidence to show that a crime was committed beyond a reasonable doubt," Mitchell said in a phone interview Wednesday.

Daniel Zmijewski, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said he had no knowledge of the SRS investigation. He wouldn't comment on de Rocha's statement about the probe.

The lawyer noted that the standard needed for criminal prosecutions is higher than that required for civil cases.

"St. John's stands behind its response as stated and will be making no additional comment beyond what is stated in the filing, at this time," the school's spokeswoman, Laurie Roberts, said in an email.

The Episcopal boarding school, which charges families nearly $30,000 per year for students enrolled in grades 6-12, draws students from across the nation.

The 14-year-old's injuries are among some of the most egregious alleged in the lawsuit. An X-ray of one of the boy's broken legs, included in the court filing, shows his right femur bone as being displaced several inches below the knee.

The boy alleges in the lawsuit that on his first day at the school, he was pushed from behind while running, which caused him to fall down several times and break his left leg. He went to the nurse's office multiple times about the pain, but the school demanded he continue participating in physical training, which included running on the broken leg, according to the suit.

By the third day, he was in so much pain he could hardly stand and was given crutches—only to have them taken away later in the day, the suit alleges. The boy later fell in the cafeteria, where the staff and students made him attempt to stand on what was now his broken right leg, according to the suit.

He then was carried outside and thrown on the ground, where staff and students decided to "play with" him, the suit claims.

"They dragged him by his ankles, shaking them wildly, kicked him in the knees, demanded he stand up on his broken legs and threatened to punch him in his mouth if he did not stop screaming," according to the complaint.

The staff and students then stuffed him into a shopping cart and returned him to his dorm room, where he was dumped on the floor. Different staff and students visited him there to tell him he was weak and others were tougher than him, the suit contends.

The next morning Jesse was found on his urine-covered floor. When he couldn't stand, he was then put in a chair and rolled to the nurse's office, where an ambulance was called, according to the claims. Hospital X-rays showed he had two broken legs. The boy underwent emergency surgery to repair his legs.

He spent a week in the Salina hospital before being flown by medical staff to California, where he spent two more days in a hospital.

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
                    « Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »
                    In contrast to 9 lawsuits since 2006 and the horrible abuse described above, which clearly shows a culture of abuse, St. John's is Awarded, Accredited and received the "highest honor with distinction" from the United States Army Cadet Command according to their website. I thought it important to point out how a program like this can APPEAR to be so amazingly wonderful to those visiting or seeing a partial view. At the same time, this program is torturing children and maintaining such a damaging environment.

Dual Accreditation

As a result of the review, St. John's has, once again, received the rating of "Accredited" from both the Kansas Department of Education AND AdvancED, giving the school dual accreditation!

Top Private School Award

GreatSchools.net awarded St. John's Military School the Parents' Choice Top Private School Award, as published in Business Week magazine. St. John's was the only military school in the country to receive this distinction.

"Honor Unit With Distinction"

AFI (Annual Formal Inspection) was held April 16th, 2012.  This is an annual inspection given by the United States Army Cadet Command.  A minimum score of 950 (out of 1,000 total points) is required to maintain the standard of "Honor Unit With Distinction".

The 124th Corps of Cadets earned the highest AFI score of all military schools in the country with a 999 and is, once again, honored to receive "Honor Unit With Distinction" classification!

This is the second straight year St. John's has held the highest score of all military schools in the country with a 999.  The coveted "Honor Unit With Distinction" has been awarded to St. John's for over 20 consecutive years!

From their website: http://www.sjms.org/