Author Topic: Rick Santorum & Universal Health Services (UHS)  (Read 10642 times)

Offline Reddit TroubledTeens

• View Profile
    • http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens
Rick Santorum & Universal Health Services (UHS)
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/2 ... 76403.html

Rick Santorum-Linked Hospital Chain Saw Suicide Attempts, Abuse, And Loss Of Parents' Rights

Jason Cherkis

Posted: 02/21/12 10:23 AM ET  |  Updated: 02/23/12 03:14 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- Three weeks ago, former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) canceled campaign events in Florida on the eve of the state's primary to be with his ailing daughter in a Virginia hospital. His three-year-old, Bella, has a genetic condition that can be fatal and had contracted pneumonia. On the phone from his daughter's hospital room, the presidential candidate told reporters, "It's been a very hectic 36 hours."

Bella recovered, but Santorum rejoined the campaign with his daughter's health still on his mind. Stumping in Minnesota, he insisted that children like his daughter who are on the "margins of life" would not get adequate medical attention under President Barack Obama's health care reform law. He went so far as to invoke former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's infamous charge that the federal law would create bureaucratic "death panels."

"In top-down, government run systems, patients become commodities, and their value is based on their usefulness to society," Santorum elaborated to The Huffington Post. "Often times, those with special needs are not viewed as 'useful' by society's standards -- and far too many like our little girl have been forced to receive inadequate care and in many instances no care at all."

"We need a health care system that provides consumers the best choices for the best care available. These choices should not be left in the hands of bureaucrats to judge an individual's value. Instead we should place that choice in the hands of the consumer -- the children and the parents -- who can make the best choices for their individual circumstance."

"Put simply, a patient should be the decision-maker in their care -- not a government or bureaucrat."

Despite his advocacy for patients' rights and his stake in providing care for severely vulnerable children, Santorum has avoided discussing another personal experience with the health care industry. From 2007 through the first half of 2011, Santorum served on the board of directors of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS), one of the country's largest hospital chains.

According to the company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, as of Feb. 28, 2011, UHS owned 25 acute care hospitals and 206 behavioral health centers located in 37 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Many of those facilities include or are classified as residential treatment centers (RTCs) -- secure facilities charged with the difficult task of treating children with severe mental-health or behavioral issues, many of whom are living very much on the margins of society.

The RTCs make up a significant part of UHS' business portfolio. The UHS board on which Santorum served is partially responsible for general management of the company's operations. Santorum declined to comment on his work at UHS or the company's RTCs.

RTCs are often last chances for kids who haven't adjusted to foster care or who come from the juvenile justice system and are at risk of possible mental health problems. Although the process varies from state to state, children are generally sent to residential treatment centers by child-welfare agencies or juvenile-justice authorities. Parents sometimes turn to these facilities on their own as well if there are no other options that their insurance will cover. The centers tend not to produce a lot of happy moments -- those that a presidential campaign could highlight in a stump speech or a cheery video.

The Department of Justice is close to settling with UHS over allegations that it committed medicaid fraud in one of its RTCs. The DOJ settled a case with the company in 2009 for $27.5 million over allegations that it bribed doctors to get them to refer patients to hospitals in Texas. Various state authorities have penalized UHS facilities with serious sanctions, suspending their licenses and barring them from receiving Medicaid reimbursements. In several incidents, staff and patients have been implicated in criminal activity ranging from rape to homicide.

The Huffington Post has documented these incidents in a series of stories on Santorum and the hospital chain.

Placing children in an RTC, away from home and in the care of strangers, can be hard on parents even when things go well. In a majority of cases, the RTC is the last option offered by their insurance and only after less severe options have been tried. It doesn't mean they give up their rights as parents, however, just as with other hospitals. They get to make decisions about things like medications, and can generally remove their children at any time.

But in interviews with HuffPost, two families of former UHS patients treated at the company's RTCs voiced a common complaint -- a feeling that their parental rights stopped at the facilities' front doors. They recall RTC staff limiting communication with their children, flouting parental consent, and brushing off their attempts to monitor their loved ones' care. They all say that their troubles started soon after their children were admitted.

ON NEEDLES AND PINS

In the fall of 2008, Candace Touchstone, 38, brought her 11-year-old daughter (who asked that her real name not be used to protect her privacy), to UHS' Timberlawn facility in Dallas, Texas.

Touchstone says her ex-husband had been physically abusive to her and their child when their daughter was five. Her daughter had struggled with the memories, becoming more and more withdrawn. She began running away from home that September. Her attempts became more daring -- one time she was found at a major intersection in central Dallas a mile and a half away. She had a suitcase full of canned goods and some clothing. On the fourth and final attempt, she jumped out of her mother's car and hid in a bathroom stall in her therapist's office building. It took Touchstone nearly two hours to find her.

After seeking help from private therapists, Touchstone says the doctors recommended Timberlawn, thinking it could stabilize her daughter. She says doctors told her they had never been there and admitted they did not know what it would be like. Timberlawn was just 10 miles from their home, however, whereas the only other facility that Touchstone's insurance would pay for was 60 miles away.

During the intake process, Touchstone says she explained to Timberlawn's doctors and staff that her daughter had an extreme phobia of needles, and she forbade doctors and nurses from using them on her daughter. John Touchstone, who married and later divorced Candace after she left her ex-husband, says he made a similar request.

"One thing we told them was don't give her needles," he explains. "She's afraid of needles."

The Touchstones say the admissions nurse promised they would not inject their daughter, but then promptly did so -- restraining her and injecting her three times with tranquilizers.

The next morning, their daughter tried to kill herself.

In a largely barren room, she took off her pants and tied them around her neck so tightly that the staff had to cut them off. The Touchstones say their daughter had never spoken of or attempted suicide before.

The Touchstones' daughter, now 14, recalls her mother repeatedly telling her that she wouldn't get shots, and the devastation she felt when the doctors injected her.

"I remember thinking everyone was lying to me," she says. "I couldn't stay in a place like that. I couldn't. I just. I didn't know. I remember looking -- they put me in a room with a window. I remember thinking ... I would never be able to leave. And that was the only way to leave."

Candace and John Touchstone say a doctor called and apologized and promised they would not inject her daughter again but that during the following shift a nurse did so anyway.

After that, the Touchstones say, their daughter tried to kill herself by wrapping her shirt around her neck. Timberlawn did not return a request for comment.

John Touchstone says he felt helpless once his step-daughter entered the RTC. "I'm a man," he says. "I fix everything, right? And this is something I can't fix. You're stonewalled. You got a child who won't talk to you. And you have a hospital that won't listen. There's not any support."

He says it felt like he was putting his step-daughter into Gitmo. "You might as well waterboard her," he says. "That's what it felt like. That was kind of the overtone of everything. It seemed like that was the level of care we got at that hospital."

That dynamic proved frustrating for Candace Touchstone, who says she constantly called the RTC to inquire about her daughter's care. "They felt like I was fighting against them," she says. "I was fighting for her. They didn't see that."

HORSE-AND-BUGGY OPERATIONS

Rooted in the early 20th-century juvenile-justice reform movement, which favored work farms and bucolic reformatories over hard time, residential treatment centers tend to play up their idyllic, often rural settings when marketing themselves, according to experts and written accounts about the industry.

Timberlawn, founded in 1917, advertises itself as just "a half day's buggy ride from the bustling city of Dallas."

In the last decade or so, in fact, health care experts have dismissed these facilities as about as old fashioned as the horse and buggy. The U.S. Surgeon General condemned the RTC model in a widely-circulated report in the late '90s. "In the past, admission to an RTC has been justified on the basis of community protection, child protection, and benefits of residential treatment," the nation's top health official wrote. "However, none of these justifications have stood up to research scrutiny."

The RTC's isolation can be an incubator of pathology as well as a hindrance to family-supported therapies, analysts say. "Families are often not regularly involved in decisions made about their children when moved to a RTC, and this isolates them from continuing engagement with their child and limits success," wrote Bruce Kamradt, director and founder of Wraparound Milwaukee, a consortium of social service agencies and providers who work on preventing RTC placements, in an email to HuffPost.

A year before the Touchstones' daughter entered Timberlawn, the Washington, D.C.-based University Legal Services published a study on RTCs and highlighted the barriers between parents and children in these settings. The report noted that the isolation "severely impedes youths' clinical treatment and quality of life. The isolation that comes from being in an institution cannot be overstated."

Candace Touchstone, who is a nurse at a state-run mental hospital, thought there was no way the staff at Timberlawn could inject her daughter, because she had not given consent. But Jennifer Lav, ULS' managing attorney and the author of the study, says that facilities often don't take families and guardians into consideration.

"We've had quite a few [cases] where parents say 'I want to know why my child is taking medication, if this is the correct one, I didn't authorize this medication,'" says Lav.

In December 2010, Karen Dunning, 50, flew her 14-year-old schizophrenic daughter, Alysha, from Arvada, Colo., a suburb of Denver, to the San Marcos Treatment Center in San Marcos, Texas. At the time, she was desperate to get her daughter help.

"Our local mental health center found it," she says. "When they found there was a bed, they gave us 24 hours to get her there. I didn't get a chance to look at it. She had been in and out of the children's hospital psych ward four or five times in the previous six months. She had been in acute care for two months."

Dunning says staff at San Marcos promised her that Alysha would be under constant supervision for the first 48 hours. On Alysha's first day, however, Dunning says, another patient slammed her head against a concrete wall, punched her in the face, and gave her a bloody nose. That night, a staff member left Dunning a message downplaying the incident, according to a voicemail provided to HuffPost.

"Another little girl I guess got mad at her about something," the staffer stated, "She hit her in the nose. ... She's OK."

The next day, Dunning says, Alysha passed out and had no pulse and no blood pressure. San Marcos did not call 911, however, and Dunning says the facility didn't notify her for hours. When they did, they told her they had laid Alysha down, and she started breathing again on her own. They only had a psychiatrist check her out. "I was beyond panic mode," Dunning says. "That was day two."

Dunning says her daughter complained that her face was black and blue. Personnel told her it was just the bloody nose. "I wanted to Skype to see her," Dunning says. San Marcos rejected her request, citing privacy laws. "I said I can waive that because she's my child. Nope, they wouldn't do it."

Touchstone estimates that she called UHS' corporate headquarters between 10 and 15 times complaining that her daughter had been mistreated. She says she never got a call back.

Isa Diaz, vice president of UHS public affairs, declined to comment on individual cases, citing UHS policy and patient confidentiality laws. "All UHS facilities place quality of care and patient satisfaction as our most important priority," she wrote in an email to HuffPost. "UHS provides extensive training to its staff on all patient care matters including but not limited to medication administration, restraint usage and protecting the safety and well being of our patients."

Dunning says that San Marcos only allowed phone calls in 15-minute slots and near a staff desk, so patients had no privacy. Often the background noise was a girl screaming at Alysha to get off the phone, Dunning says. Every time Dunning reached her daughter by phone, Alysha would tell her that the facility scared her.

"She's crying every time I talk to her," Dunning explains.

Making matters worse, Alysha was assigned a blind therapist, despite the fact that Dunning told staff that her daughter communicates visually better than she does verbally.

Alysha says the scariest part was simply getting beat up and that the staff was rarely around to protect her. "They weren't doing anything," she says.

During a conference call concerning her daughter's 10-day review, according to a tape recording Dunning provided to HuffPost, the San Marcos psychiatrist charged with Alysha's care made it clear they did not appreciate Dunning's level of oversight. "You try to micromanage everything," he complained to her.

"She's my child, I'm going to," Dunning replied. "She doesn't belong to you."

The doctor urged Dunning to trust them. He said that Dunning's calls put the staff on edge and interfered with therapy. "The trust needs to be earned," Dunning said. "This is not micromanagement. This is the concern of a parent."

The doctor then blamed Alysha's mental-health struggles on her mother. "I think that some of her problems are caused by your over involvement," he said.

By then, Dunning also discovered that San Marcos wasn't properly monitoring Alysha's diabetes and filed a complaint with Texas social services. The state investigated the diabetes incident and confirmed that the staff at San Marcos had failed to provide appropriate care, according to a Texas Department of Family and Protective Services report. San Marcos did not return a request for comment.

Alysha continued to be assaulted as well -- at least six times during her month there, Dunning calculated, before she finally decided to remove her from San Marcos.

Dunning says the UHS facility was her only option because there were no places in Colorado that would fit her daughter's needs. The local mental health provider couldn't offer the level of intensive in-home services Alysha required, Dunning explains.

Several states, including Wisconsin, Virginia and Tennessee, realizing the limits and costs of institutional care, have worked to develop alternatives to sending kids far from home.

The city of Hampton, Va., stopped sending children to RTCs in April 2007, finding more success by keeping kids in family settings. Instead of secure facilities, therapists make house calls. Mental health, social services and the courts all collaborate and meet on individual cases. The city also sees extended family members as resources for taking care of kin.

Others have pursued similar reforms. In Wisconsin, Kamradt began transforming social services in the mid '90s with his Wraparound Milwaukee initiative. His model emphasizes keeping at-risk kids out of RTCs by giving families leadership roles and support from coordinated government agencies, a pool of private providers, and emergency services for moments of crisis.

The wraparound model works, Kamradt says, because it emphasizes families over RTCs, small case loads and intensive services. "It's around strengths and needs of kids," he explains. "Better we plan this together. We'll look at family needs too. If the youth problem is he's in a gang and the mother really needs to get out of this neighborhood, we may find alternative housing. If she needs a job, we'll try to find a job for her. We're going to focus not only on the kid's need but the family's need."

If the Touchstones' daughter had run away in Milwaukee instead of Dallas, a team could have been put in place to help her immediately and link Touchstone with community-based assistance. She would not have to have had an expensive hospital stay. Recent figures show RTCs can cost hundreds of dollars per day, per child. In comparison, family-based models cost a fraction of that amount.

"It's a great paradox in child welfare: the worse the option, the greater the cost," Richard Wexler, executive director of the National Coalition for Child Protection Reform, explains. "Once the child is admitted and the door is closed behind him, the RTC is effectively in charge."

CORRECTION: This article originally reported that Santorum's daughter, Bella, had been taken to a Philadelphia hospital. That was the information initially provided by the Santorum campaign, but, unbeknownst even to Santorum's staff at the time, she was being cared for in Virginia. The campaign later apologized for the confusion. We regret the error.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

• View Profile
Re: Rick Santorum & Universal Health Services (UHS)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/0 ... 72803.html

Rick Santorum And Universal Health Services: Presidential Hopeful Serves On Board of Hospital Chain Being Sued By DOJ
Santorum

by Jason Cherkis

First Posted: 06/07/11 09:33 PM ET Updated: 08/07/11 06:12 AM ET

WASHINGTON -- Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, who announced his bid for president Monday, has spent the past four years serving on the board of Universal Health Services Inc. (UHS), one of the country's largest and most troubled hospital chains.

It turns out Santorum may have had a more personal stake in railing against President Barack Obama's signature health care legislation and beating the drum for less government intrusion in our health care system. Both federal and state officials have routinely cited UHS for a seemingly endless number of violations, ranging from Medicaid fraud to patient neglect and abuse. Investigations have uncovered everything from riots to rape to homicide at UHS facilities.

During Santorum's tenure on the UHS board, state documents and court records show, patients at UHS health care facilities have endured systemic failures that have cost millions in court settlements. In several instances, the company and its subsidiaries have been threatened with losing the ability to take in federally-subsidized patients. At various times, states have stopped sending children to UHS facilities. And in the last few years, the King of Prussia, Pa.-based mega-company has been the subject of two Department of Justice lawsuits accusing the chain of fraud.

According to UHS' website, Santorum currently sits on the board's compensation committee and the nominating/corporate governance committee. Santorum's committees appear to play no direct role in overseeing the actual operations of the hospitals. But the board -- like any corporate board -- is responsible for maintaining oversight and making sure facilities are safe and do not violate the law.

He was appointed to the board in April 2007. UHS CEO and chairman of the board, Alan B. Miller, said in a press release at the time, "Rick Santorum has a long record of accomplishment and leadership and will provide valuable advice to the board."

Through his campaign, Santorum refused to comment about his ties to UHS nor the allegations concerning the hospital chain. "I would encourage you to contact UHS about these allegations," replied spokesperson Virginia Davis via email. "If I have any additional contact from Sen. Santorum I will let you know."

In response to The Huffington Post's inquiries, UHS refused to elaborate on Santorum's role as a board member. "UHS has always made quality and patient safety its highest priorities at all of our facilities," the company said in a statement released to The Huffington Post. "UHS has been one of the leading providers of mental healthcare services for over 25 years because of our commitment to quality and patient-focused programs. All of our facilities are licensed by their states, nationally accredited and/or certified and in good-standing. As a company, we strive to always provide the best possible treatment in a safe environment."

According to the company's SEC filings, as of Feb. 28, 2011, UHS owned 25 acute care hospitals and 206 behavioral health centers located in 37 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The company also owns or manages seven surgical hospitals and surgery and oncology centers. The filings state that the company and/or its affiliates currently face at least seven lawsuits addressing allegations ranging from patient care to wage disputes among employees.

On Oct. 30, 2009, a McAllen, Texas, hospital group owned by UHS agreed to pay the U.S. government $27.5 million to settle allegations of what amounted to medical payola, or providing kickbacks or "illegal compensation" to doctors in an effort to pressure them to funnel patients to its hospitals, according to a DOJ press release. The payments were disguised via "shame contracts" including medical directorships and lease agreements.

Department of Justice attorneys, along with their counterparts in Virginia, filed suit in March 2010 against a UHS facility based in Southwest Virginia charging that operators had committed Medicaid fraud. The facility billed itself as an inpatient psychiatric facility for youth but did not provide such services. The DOJ case, along with a whistleblower lawsuit, also accused the facility of orchestrating a cover-up.

Timothy J. Heaphy, the United States Attorney for the Western District of Virginia, stated in a DOJ press release:

"We intend to prove that these defendants billed Medicaid for providing troubled children with much needed psychiatric medical care when, in fact, they provided no such service. We will not sit idly by and allow healthcare providers to take advantage of troubled children in order to feed their own desire for wealth. The Medicaid system was designed to help the most vulnerable among us, not to line the pockets of fraudsters."

In its statement, UHS claimed that all patients at the Virginia facility were treated appropriately.

But DOJ's conclusions wouldn't surprise current and former UHS employees, who said the hospital and treatment settings have been "depressing" and comparable to prisons or worse.

Leah Mercer, a former employee with the Pines, a residential treatment center located in the Tidewater region of Virginia, described one unit as a "dog pen."

"It's a money making business," Mercer said. She worked not only at the Pines but also at an adult treatment facility in Tennessee. "That's all it is ... Working with adults and the kids in two different states and two different facilities, there was no therapy. It was all about money."

Mercer, who used to work as a prison corrections officer before working with emotionally disturbed children at the Pines, says she was surprised by how little experience was needed to work at the facility. "I know they pull a lot from security people ... You could start out making $10, $11 an hour and not know jack. You didn't have to know anything. In fact, I had a 19-year-old stripper and this was her part-time job -- she was part-time."

HuffPost readers: If you've ever worked for UHS or have been a resident or patient at a UHS facility, we want to hear from you. Tell us your stories by emailing [email protected]. Please include your phone number if you're willing to do an interview.

Santorum joined the UHS board in April 2007. Here is just a sampling of incidents that have taken place at the company's facilities during his tenure:

- In June 2007, Omega Leach, 17, died after being strangled by staff at UHS' Chad Youth Enhancement Center, located outside of Nashville, Tenn. Leach's death was ruled a homicide. Two years earlier, a 14-year-old Long Island girl died at the same facility.

According to the autopsy on Leach, news accounts at the time stated that the youth had "multiple superficial blunt force injuries" to his body as well as injuries to his neck muscles. He also sustained scrapes and bruises to both shoulders as well as a bruise under his left eye.

Omega Leach's family subsequently sued UHS. In 2010, UHS settled with the family for $10.5 million.

- In April 2010, North Carolina government records reported that the Old Vineyard Youth Services facility had been the scene of a sexual assault between two male teenagers. One resident reportedly tried to force his roommate "to have oral sex and intercourse holding roommate by neck to force him to have oral sex and dragged him on the floor trying to have intercourse." The residents, 17 and 15 years old, were found to not be adequately monitored by staff. The Winston-Salem Journal had previously reported that the facility had been sited for a "long list of deficiencies that included nurses' training and responses to incidents" in October 2009.

- In September 2010, the Chicago Tribune reported that in the previous two years, two rape allegations were levied at UHS' Hartgrove Hospital. "Police were called to Hartgrove Hospital on the city's West End when a juvenile patient alleged he was punched and forced to perform oral sex on a male patient, then raped when he tried to resist," the reporters noted. "The alleged victim was hospitalized with abrasions consistent with rape, a police report said."

The Tribune went on to detail another incident involving a 13-year-old male who performed oral sex on a 15-year-old in a crowded day room "with roughly 14 other youths and only one hospital employee to monitor them."

- In April 2011, Two Rivers Psychiatric Hospital in Kansas City was barred from taking Medicaid after feds discovered that hospital workers had failed to monitor a suicidal woman who killed herself at the facility. Authorities also ruled that workers had erred in their attempts to revive the woman. The hospital has appealed the decision and challenged the decision in court.

The Kansas City Star also reported that the facility has a history of neglect issues:

"Federal records show that Two Rivers has had a history of patient-care problems dating to 2008, when an Army soldier committed suicide at the hospital by using bed linens to hang himself in a closet.

That year, inspectors also found that a hospital employee had poured water over a patient’s head and that a nurse had put a towel over an elderly patient’s mouth to stop the patient from screaming.

Inspectors who examined medical records in 2009 found little evidence that Two Rivers patients were receiving psychotherapy or medical treatment other than medications. In September 2010, the hospital refused the emergency admission of a teenager who had threatened to kill someone, records show."

- On April 18, 2011, North Carolina authorities announced that it would be removing all of its wards from The Pines residential treatment center after a youth made an allegation of sex abuse at the facility. The incident triggered a larger investigation. North Carolina officials found multiple instances of ill-trained staff, inadequate staff-to-patient ratios, and "multiple safety risk incidents," according to an email from N.C. authorities to Virginia officials concerning The Pines.

Virginia has since slapped The Pines with a provisional license and halted sending state wards to the facility. The D.C. government has also begun to pull its youths from The Pines.

Susan Lawrence, a parent and child advocate in Virginia, runs a Facebook page dedicated to cataloging abuses within the mental health system with a particular focus on UHS facilities. In an interview, she called on Santorum to investigate the company. "He talks about being brave, about standing up to the establishment," she said. "That's a joke. He should be asking hard questions of UHS ... If he wants to lead the country, he should be able to lead a business."

"He's all concerned about unborn children," Lawrence continued. "He's a lot less concerned about children that are already here."

Santorum's relationship with UHS extends beyond the boardroom. While he served on the board, the company donated $5,000 to his political action committee, America's Foundation, in 2010. UHS CEO Miller, as well as the company's employees, have donated thousands more in previous campaigns.

This is the first in a series of stories on UHS facilities during Santorum's tenure on the hospital chain's board.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »
Inside Rick Santorum-Linked Universal Health Services Facility: Herpes, Porn and Drug Dealing

by Jason Cherkis [email protected]. Please include your phone number if you're willing to do an interview.]

---PAGE 2---

Barely a teen, T. had already known how it felt to fill his stomach with pills and to receive a jolt from a police officer's Taser. Other things left deeper scars. T. had grown up in Hamlet, N.C., abandoned from birth by his biological mother. He'd had to hear stories about her and her new family living in faraway Oregon; she didn't visit. He never knew his father.

T. was adopted by Honeycutt, his own mother's former foster mother, who provided a stable and loving home. But he fell into violent rages, and when they became too much to handle, the child-welfare system sometimes had to find alternatives.

By the time T. was 8 years old, group home staff and hospital nurses had become something of an extended family. In at least one instance, however, they proved anything but safe. At one group home, Pinon said, her brother claimed he'd been raped by a staffer.

Not long after, T. wore out his welcome at every group home and therapeutic foster care placement in the state. He stabbed one foster parent with a fork. He ended up on probation after pelting a foster dad's truck with rocks. He could be equally destructive with his own body, using his thighs and arms as a canvas for his not-so-secret cuttings.

Officials had to look beyond the state's borders to Virginia to find T.'s next placement, a next chance at normal. T. had gone to The Pines fresh from a psych ward. It turned out to be a huge step backward.

On June 3 of this year, T. was forced out of The Pines, this time not as a punishment but out of concern for his own well being. Honeycutt and Pinon were there to pick him up. There was no teary sendoff. A Pines worker greeted them at the entrance with a taunt, according to Pinon. "We are so ready to get rid of him," she recalled the worker saying.

Another employee shepherded T. to their car. Both Pinon and Honeycutt recalled that she had one final message for T. before leaving his side. If he gave his family a hard time, the employee told him, "I'll beat your ass like a man."

A Pines staffer had already done that, according to T.

T. had two black eyes. One came from a staff member who T. said punched him after he complained about the staffer flirting with a coworker.

One bruise was still a deep black, while the other had started to fade. But both could still be seen through T.'s foundation and rouge, and his pink-and-purple eye shadow.

While T. was at The Pines, Honeycutt, 63, tried to follow up on her adopted son's treatment as best she could. She kept in regular contact with T. and participated in weekly therapy sessions by phone. When she needed gas money to make the drive up to see him, she said she resorted to hosting yard sales where she sold off her clothes and appliances. The real valuables she carted off to Ned's Pawn Shop.

"My mom sold collectibles, porcelain dolls," Pinon, 28, recalled. "All of her gold, she pretty much pawned it or melted it down so she could afford gas or clothes for him. I took her to the pawnshop one time -- she pulled out family heirlooms. The people in the pawnshop were telling her not to do it. She sold it anyway."

When T. complained that he went to bed cold, Honeycutt bought him a blanket. When he needed clothes, she mailed him pants and shirts from his favorite store, Hot Topic.

Honeycutt alleged that Pines officials had promised to assist her with travel expenses but never came through. "They lied," she said. "They were supposed to meet me part of the way, and they didn't."

Initially, documents show, The Pines saw T. as a serious case. The reasons for his admission to the facility were manifold. Pines officials wrote in an assessment that T. "represents an actual and potential danger to himself and others as evidenced by his frequent episodes of self injurious behavior including cutting himself in the chest, arms, legs, frequent episodes of physical aggression, threatening to kill his mother including biting his adoptive father, hitting the walls, running away from home ... [and] bringing deadly weapons to school."

The facility's management promised they could improve T.'s behavior and even get him well enough that he wouldn't need to spend more time in another residential setting. But under the center's care, Honeycutt and Pinon said, they only saw T. continue his destructive ways. The facility, they said, failed to accurately report problems to them.

Honeycutt and Pinon said they were often left to navigate written reports that were either missing critical information or contained contradictory assessments. In one example, the reports failed to mention that Pines staff had left T. unsupervised long enough for him to pierce his own nose with the broken tooth of a comb. Nor had they witnessed him stabbing a hole through his tongue.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:36:09 PM by Reddit TroubledTeens »

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
---PAGE 3---

While the family heard from T. about how the staff had physically restrained him on multiple occasions, Pines officials failed to report most of the incidents. In one month, Pinon recalled, T. had been physically restrained more than 10 times. She also said her brother reported being chemically restrained. During one restraint, his family said, a Pines employee broke T.'s glasses. The facility never replaced them. T. later said to Pinon: "I've had knees in my back. Knees on my head."

"None of the paperwork documented the amount of restraints that he had," Pinon said.

Physical restraints were the staff's go-to method of control, according to T. Even when he was held down, T. said, staff took cheap shots -- jabbing him, pinching him and punching him. In one incident, he said, he was slammed against a wall.

"They bend your arm in all different directions and stuff," he said, adding that the staff called him "faggot."

"One time, I was in a restraint and a man punched me in my nose and my nose started bleeding," he said.

The center's low-I.Q. inhabitants were particularly targeted, he said: "They would always hit in the special residents."

Although The Pines was required to provide schooling for T., confidential records show that he often didn't make it to class. T. said that he was often held back over minor infractions like talking back to staff. Sometimes, he'd beg to go to class and was still denied.

According to his last report card, T. failed five out of seven subjects. His Pines teachers cited his absences as the main reason for his dismal grades. And yet, in its last report to the family, Pines officials wrote that T. was "doing well in school. He has grades from A's to C's."

Honeycutt seized on what she considers the most painful document of all. It's another Pines assessment of T., this one dated to this past February. A Pines clinician wrote: "It is clear the family will not support T." because of his sexual orientation.

The Pines was charging Honeycutt's health insurance and Medicaid a combined nearly $20,000 per month for taking care of T.

Honeycutt's account of her experiences with The Pines rang true for Kimberly Imanian, who told The Huffington Post that the facility has also consistently whitewashed reports of her adoptive 13-year-old daughter's behavior. Her daughter, she said, has been involved in six violent episodes, but only three were actually reported. In one incident, the facility did not report that her daughter had threatened to kill her roommate. The roommate remained in place for months.

Imanian said her daughter has not shown improvements since being admitted. "She does not want to be at a place anymore," Imanian said. "She wants to get well. More often, she asks, ‘Why am I not getting any better?'"

A UHS vice president, Car Evans, wrote in an email that The Pines complied with all state reporting policies. "The Pines reports all requisite incident or restraint matters to the appropriate agencies or individuals in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements of the various states or municipalities with whom we work with," he wrote.

But misinformation and an unsettling lack of care appeared to be the norm at a facility even staffers described as overwhelmingly depressing and disorganized. Documents show a campus low on management oversight and staffed with unqualified employees. "When I first got there, I was like, 'Oh my God, I would never want to live here,'" recalled one current Pines worker, who requested anonymity to speak openly about the facility's conditions.

Leah Mercer, a former Pines frontline worker, told The Huffington Post she often did not know the case histories of the children in her care. Mid-level managers simply failed to give her each child's diagnosis, she said, and her supervisor spent most of his time concentrating on his fledgling career as an R&B singer.

Rather than providing rehabilitation or care, Mercer said, the facility deepens old wounds and even creates some new ones among the young residents. She said one boy with no history of sexual abuse has started acting out sexually. Another boy had been left alone long enough to dig into his arm with a plastic spoon. AWOLs were commonplace. She recalled one incident in which an employee threatened to kill a child; another called a kid a "piece of shit."

"There are staff that continue to be there that should not be in this line of work," Mercer said. "There are staff that I feel are too rough, that don't have an understanding of child disabilities. They don't understand that each one has individualized treatment. You can't treat all children the same, especially ones with disabilities."

Another current employee said she believed that not all of her colleagues thoroughly reported deserving incidents. "I don't feel that everybody that works at all three campuses are there ethically to provide therapeutic care," the employee said. "Some people are there just to get the paycheck. ... I don't feel some of the people are educated to deal with the issues we have -- I don't feel the people even care."

---PAGE 4---

Mercer said she quit over what she described as unsafe staff-to-patient ratios, meaning that the kids often didn't receive basic necessities. She said she knew of a child who waited eight months to get a pair of glasses, another who endured a toothache for five months before seeing a dentist and still another kid who went without underwear.

"I've seen staff buy soap, socks, underwear, shoes," Mercer said. "I mean, the kids don't have any soap."

In one case, Mercer recalled, she had to move some residents to a new unit, but found that it had not been cleaned. There were urine-stained floors, semen stains on a desk and a pair of mattresses, a bloody mixture left on a bulletin board. She described a different unit as a "dog pen."

Therapy could be just as haphazard. A current employee agreed with Mercer's assessment that the staff-to-patient ratios weren't safe. The other current employee described the sessions as mere drive-bys, lasting 20 minutes at a time.

"Do you think you are ever going to get anything accomplished in 20 minutes?" the employee asked.

"It's a moneymaking business," Mercer said. "That's all it is."

The current employee said there are staff issues. "They're lazy. They come in late. The communication is bad," she said. "There's a lot of money but I don't see it. It's going to the wrong people."

Those at the top were well paid. Santorum received roughly half a million dollars in cash and stock options for his services on the UHS board. In 2007, he received $50,412; in 2008, he received $77,958; in 2009, he picked up $45,000. In 2010, Santorum took home a substantial windfall: $168,069. And on Jan. 19, 2011, he received stock options valued at $174,126, Securities and Exchange Commission records show. The company and its CEO have also contributed thousands to Santorum's political action committee and his campaigns over the years.

When Santorum resigned from the UHS board in early June, company officials had kind words for the former senator.

"We appreciate Senator Santorum's service on our Board of Directors and he has been a valuable asset to our Company," Alan B. Miller, the UHS chairman and CEO, said in a press release. "We certainly understood that should Senator Santorum formally announce and initiate his campaign for President, it would result in his departure from the Board given the substantial focus and effort required to achieve that goal. However, Rick's guidance and stewardship will be sorely missed."

In February, a Pines staff member was caught punching a child in the face and torso after being bitten during a restraint, records show. The incident was not immediately reported to authorities. The staffer admitted, according to a licensing investigation, that she had no experience in working with residential treatment center kids. That same month, licensing found that "staff currently providing therapy is not licensed or licensed eligible. ... THIS IS A REPEAT VIOLATION."

The following month, two boys at the Brighton campus, ages 8 and 9, confessed to engaging in oral and anal sex, Virginia records show.

At the same campus a short time later, according to records and interviews with Mercer, who saw a video recording of the incident, and another staffer, a Pines worker grabbed a 9-year-old boy and dragged him across a table during a therapeutic group session. Another worker then took the boy into a room and was captured on video repeatedly bashing his head against a wall.

The staff member was suspended for a week before being fired. She wrote about how she was spending her time away from the facility on her Facebook wall:

"Backyard tanning was a success, including nips ;P Ugh! Dread having not having AC in a hawt ass house! Time to take a cold shower."

By then, North Carolina had concluded it could not continue to send children to The Pines. The state had launched an investigation after parents came forward with an allegation that their son had been sexually abused at the facility.

According to a subsequent report by Virginia authorities, The Pines concluded that on at least one occasion the abuse had indeed taken place. But the facility had failed to immediately notify the parents. The Pines had described one incident of inappropriate touching as "horse playing."

In mid-April, North Carolina paid the facility an unannounced visit. Patrick Piggott, chief of the state's Behavioral Health Review Section, reported his findings to Virginia licensing officials. In an April 28 email obtained by The Huffington Post, he said the state was making a formal complaint against The Pines -- that the facility had failed in nearly all aspects of its responsibilities. Piggott's group found:

The Pines had inadequate staffing for the entire month of January and two weeks in February for all campuses.

Employees lacked training on utilizing non-restrictive interventions.

No evidence of supervision in any personnel records.

No evidence of sex offender training.

No evidence of training on how to write a treatment plan.

No evidence of supervision plans for unlicensed staff.

Some therapists working in the facility had masters degrees but were not licensed.

Staff did not watch children closely -- sexual activity among children had taken place.

Allegations of abuse or sexual misconduct did not result in clear consequences or changes in treatment.

Piggott went on to note that basic records of children often contained missing documents and contradictory assessments. He also reported that "the child prompting this investigation was at risk and there is evidence of harm yet the facility did not appear to take adequate steps to [protect] him."

---Page 5---

North Carolina would not wait for The Pines to correct itself. It had already announced that it would be pulling its children from the facility.

Meghan McGuire, communications director for Virginia's Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, which oversees inspections of facilities like The Pines, released a statement after North Carolina went public with its decision: "Over the past several years, we have encountered significant problems at the Pines' facilities that have required tremendous monitoring time by DBHDS licensing and human rights staff. Since concerns continue to arise despite staff's continual efforts, it may again be time to reevaluate the status of their license."

Ten days after North Carolina completed its investigation, Virginia authorities inspected The Pines' Brighton campus.

Not only did Virgina's inspectors corroborate North Carolina's findings, they uncovered 17 pages worth of violations. They found scores of untrained staff as well as staff working without proper documentation or licenses or criminal background checks. The facility even failed to prove that its van operator had a valid driver's license.

Supervision of residents was also a problem. Inspectors found rampant use of cellphones in the units. One resident, who had been placed on special precautions requiring 15-minute checks, was not properly watched. "A review of the videotape revealed that Staff did not perform the 15 minutes room check," the inspector noted in its report. "The documentation of the 15 minute rounds were fabricated."

In some cases, Pines workers may have crossed the line into criminal behavior, as in the case of another resident who reported being sexually assaulted while also on "close watch."

The Virginia inspection turned up a January incident in which staff showed the young residents pictures of naked women and a February incident in which residents and staff watched a pornographic DVD together.

That same month, investigators found out that a resident admitted using and selling drugs within the past six months. A source stated that the resident "also admitted to buying drugs from a staff who no longer works at the Pines. Resident admitted that he did the drugs in November and December."

On the day the inspection was made, Virginia announced that it would be suspending admissions to The Pines and issued the facility a provisional license. According to McGuire, the provisional license means The Pines had failed in caring for its children.

"A provisional license means that a provider has demonstrated an inability to maintain compliance with the regulations, has violations of licensing regulations that pose a threat to the health and safety of residents served, or has two or more systemic deficiencies," McGuire wrote via email. "It is a sign to referral sources and payers that a provider is having serious problems."

Universal Health Services, in its emailed statement to The Huffington Post, expressed optimism that its oversight had corrected any problems at The Pines:

"We are pleased to report that as a result of our efforts, in May of this year, two external independent surveys by regulatory agencies were conducted at The Pines and found the program in compliance," the statement reads. "Further, North Carolina has expressed a willingness to work with our facilities and The Pines is currently treating children from North Carolina."

UHS' statement appears to have been overly optimistic. McGuire says Virginia's position on The Pines is unchanged -- there continues to be a ban on new admissions. She added that she did not know of any surveys by regulatory agencies and that her office had two new, open investigations against the facility.

Brad Deen, a spokesman with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, said his agency "has informed the Pines that without rapid corrective action to correct the seemingly systemic safety and quality-of-care issues, the Pines will be terminated as a N.C. Medicaid provider." He added that his agency has relocated nearly all of its children and is not approving any new admissions to the facility. Plans are moving forward to have all of the state's kids removed from The Pines.

Whatever happens with The Pines, Heather Pinon said she thinks the damage the facility has done to her brother might be permanent. His depressive bent seems even more ingrained, she said.

"Now he talks about dying before he's 20," Pinon said. "He says he knows he's going to be dead by the time he's 20. He said, 'Nobody loves me. Nobody cares whether I live or die.' I don't know where that comes from. The person that came out of The Pines is a very lost, very confused boy."

"I'm not sure it's reversible," she added. "It's just -- they screwed him up."

After picking T. up from The Pines in early June, the family members arrived home in Hamlet after 8 p.m. Pinon and her brother stayed up late talking. The next morning, Pinon fixed T. a huge breakfast of eggs, sausage, bacon and biscuits. They shopped for clothes. They stopped at a Krispy Kreme. He had only one blowup. The next day, he started to beg for more time at home.

"It was everything," T. said.

But after 48 hours, North Carolina authorities had T. transferred to a residential treatment facility in Orlando, Fla.

"I really liked being home and I miss it," T. said in a recent phone interview. "I'm actually on suicide precautions because I've been missing my house. I cut myself the other day on my arm." T. said he had busted a hole in a wall, ripped out a screw and used it on himself.

"People were picking on me," he said by way of explanation. "It's better than The Pines, this place. They don't pick on me that much."

In the final memo from T.'s last month at The Pines, officials had concluded that he had "met maximum benefit at this facility."

Shahien Nasiripour contributed to this report.

This is the second in a series of stories on UHS facilities during Santorum's tenure on the hospital chain's board. Read Part 1: "Rick Santorum And Universal Health Services: Presidential Hopeful Serves On Board of Hospital Chain Being Sued By DOJ."

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/0 ... 86443.html

Rick Santorum-Linked Universal Health Services Facility: Fraud, Assault And Alleged 'Exorcism'

by Jason Cherkis [email protected]
First Posted: 01/06/12 08:22 AM ET Updated: 01/06/12 04:09 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) has become a top-tier candidate for the Republican presidential nomination in recent weeks by appealing to evangelical voters as a man steeped in family values and his Christian faith. From 2007 to 2011, however, Santorum served on the board of directors of Universal Health Services Inc., a large hospital chain which racked up dozens of allegations of abuse during that time -- including everything from rape to suicide attempts allowed by neglect to murder.

Over the years, states have barred children from attending UHS facilities over safety concerns and the feds have put UHS on their radar. Department of Justice lawyers have filed two lawsuits accusing the chain of fraudulent activities. One lawsuit settled for $27.5 million. Another suit still pending in federal court in Virginia centers on a facility called Keystone Marion Youth Center.

The facility, located in Marion, Va., is a residential treatment center for troubled boys with mental-health issues. The majority of patients come from states' child-welfare and juvenile-justice systems. The center promises stability, schooling, and clinically-approved therapies. It was also approved to accept Medicaid patients.

It did not have approval to perform an "exorcism."

But that is what appeared to be happening in an empty room at Marion in May 2007, according to a facility teacher who passed by the room, which was occupied by at least one nurse, a supervisor, a janitor and a boy with autism. Several in the room appeared to be hovering over the boy and praying, according to the teacher, who recounted the incident shortly after to Barbara Jones, the center's director of education at the time.

The severity of the boy's autism left him hardly able to speak and unable to walk on his own, Jones says.

"'They were trying to exorcise him. That's why he had the autism, he had a demon in him,'" Jones recounted what the teacher told her to The Huffington Post. "The cleaning lady was trying to cast out the demons."

The Marion Center repeatedly fell into trouble with authorities before and during the time Santorum served on the board. He resigned this past June to focus on his campaign. UHS facilities across the country -- from the former senator's home state of Pennsylvania to Illinois to Tennessee to Texas and Kansas -- have come under fire as well. Authorities have thrown around words like "systemic failure" to describe the UHS treatment centers and have sued them for millions in court settlements.

Santorum served on the UHS board's compensation committee and the nominating/corporate governance committee, which appear to play no direct role in overseeing hospital operations. But the board -- like any corporate board -- is responsible for maintaining oversight and making sure facilities are safe and do not violate the law. Bloomberg has reported that Santorum has made close to $400,000 off his relationship with UHS.

Santorum's campaign declined to comment, referring inquiries to UHS. But in an interview with Yahoo News this week, Santorum said that as a member of the board, he cooperated with the DOJ's Medicaid fraud investigation.

"Any investigation, you obviously engage and fully cooperate with it, and that's what we did. You try to get to the bottom of it. There's always accusations that take place and that's part of the responsibility of directors to make sure that we investigate that and get to the bottom of it," Santorum said. "I don't have any stock options. I did, but I exercised them and they're gone."

UHS issued a statement to The Huffington Post concerning the Marion Youth Center.

"There are hundreds of adolescents who have received high quality, successful care and treatment at Marion Youth Center," the company wrote in an email, "and have had their lives dramatically improved as a result of the efforts of the dedicated individuals that work at Marion."

The hospital chain responded directly to the exorcism charge, calling the allegations "absolutely false, libelous and knowingly untruthful."

A state report counters this claim and appears to back up Jones' recollections of the incident as relayed to her at the time, and its subsequent fallout. According to the report, state investigators noted that the Marion Youth Center initiated an internal investigation into the matter as well. An administrator with the facility reported to state investigators that staff had been caught "praying over" a boy. "Provider determined the youth did not give consent for the event to occur," the state investigation found. "One regulation violation was determined."

The most shocking thing about the incident, however, was that it didn't shock. As Jones says, "It didn't surprise me."

Jones, 44, began working at the Marion Youth Center in July 2006 to take over the treatment center's school. The center was small, holding only 48 beds, and it only took boys between the ages of 11 and 17 and sometimes older. She was in charge of setting the curriculum, supervising seven teachers and implementing a behavior modification program. "It was appealing to me to run a school," Jones says.

But when she arrived, Jones says there was no school to run. She found teachers would convert a group room into a makeshift classroom. There were no chairs. There were no books. She found boys either playing video games or sleeping on the floor.

"There was a couple broken down chairs," Jones remembers. "The walls were dirty. The floor was dirty. It was chaos. That was the best word. The teachers obviously didn't like it but that's what they were told to do."

Jones says she had to beg the center's management to make classrooms. She insisted that children were not meeting the contracted education requirements known as Individualized Education Programs. "They were saying they didn't have enough staff to be in the classroom," Jones explains. "It was about money and coverage. I had to pull out their educational plans ... to pull out the child's IEP -- a legal document."

The boys of Marion didn't just miss out on school. They were missing basics like proper clothing, Jones found. Many kids didn't have socks or shoes. A 17-year-old kid sent from West Virginia walked around in shower slippers and pants an inch or two too short.

"He didn't remember anyone buying him clothes," Jones says. "He hadn't been out of the building for a year."

The kids, she said, only had thin blankets on their beds. The facility had them sell Christmas cards to raise money for new blankets. "The kids designed them, and then I went out and sold them," Jones says.

As for treatment, the head psychiatrist rarely made appearances. Therapy was sometimes conducted in hallways. "It was called 'drive-by therapy,'" Jones says. "They would walk with the kid to the cafeteria and the kid would get their food. It would be written up that [the] therapist had seen the kid."

If a boy mouthed off or provided the slightest provocation, Jones says, sometimes the staff response was "brutal force." Virginia records obtained through a public records request show the state investigated assaults, AWOL's and inappropriate encounters between staff and patients at Marion during the time Santorum served on the UHS board, from 2007 to 2011.

In January 2009, Leslie Anderson, the then-director of Virginia's Office of Licensing for Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation, and Substance Abuse Services, emailed her superiors a scathing review of Marion.

"They just got cited for systemic abuse for letting several youth beat and pick on one resident repeatedly and not intervening," Anderson wrote. "They do not have a clinical director and their psychiatrists are very part time. They are barely functioning as a [residential treatment center]."

Incident investigation records bear out Anderson's assessment:

*On August 1, 2007, Virginia records show, "a youth alleged to a staff person that another staff 'slammed' his face onto the floor when restraining him" in late July. The Department of Social Services determined the staffer had been abusive.

*In March 2008, a staffer held down a resident while another kicked the resident in the knee. Records show one employee resigned the day of the assault. When interviewed, the staffer that held the boy explained: "I didn't realize that he kicked him that hard."

*In August 2008, a staff member admitted being the getaway driver for two boys who had gone AWOL. "One resident was transported to his home," the state investigation noted in a report written a month later. "Where the other resident was transported is not yet known." The report went on to state that the staffer had been cited for boundary issues with the patients. Two weeks before the escape, one of the boys said he had a "love letter" from the staffer.

*In May 2009, a mother reported that while her son was home for a few days during the previous month, he had numerous phone calls with a center therapist. During one call, records show, which was on speaker phone, she alleged that she heard the therapist promise her son a blow job if he didn't run away. During the conversation, the therapist suggested that she had already performed oral sex on the boy. The boy refused to cooperate with investigators.

*In August 2009, a nurse was found to have sexually abused a boy on two occasions. A staff member reported witnessing one incident. Another staffer reported that the nurse had explained that she had to take the boy's blood pressure. They were left alone for one hour. After that incident, the boy asked an employee "if he smelled like a girl."

Other incidents, Virginia records show, included a part-time staffer "diverting" ADHD meds, and criminal background checks not conducted for new employees.

Investigators also found that therapy goals were vague to the point of meaninglessness. Plans for patient care were not reviewed, and medications were managed without being documented. In one 2010 incident, a program director threatened jail if boys didn't "straighten up.'"

Jones alleges that managers only cared about keeping those beds filled. In July 2010, she filed a federal civil suit against UHS over the goings on at Marion, saying she was forced out for raising the Medicaid fraud issue with management.

During meetings, managers repeatedly emphasized slowing down the process for a soon-to-be exiting child. There were kids that could have gone home but didn't. "The kids that were warded to the state, those were easy prey for them," Jones says. State social workers were overworked and never seemed to make the trip out to the center. The kids were simply out of sight, out of mind.

"I used to call them 'The Lost Boys' because no one was really advocating for them," Jones explains. When staff couldn't justify keeping them, the boy would suddenly have an outburst over the weekend. It would be characterized as "anxiety about being released." The boy would earn an extended stay.

Jones's allegations echo those in the DOJ's 2007 lawsuit against the Marion Center. The charges in that case include drive-by therapy sessions in the center's hallway, doctoring records, billing for undocumented services, billing for 50-minute group therapy sessions that lasted half that time, and provoking residents into outbursts to justify a delay in their release.

In the 2010 amended complaint, DOJ lawyers argue that the center "was operated as a juvenile detention facility, not as a residential treatment facility, in violation of state and federal law."

The three plaintiffs in the DOJ complaint all worked as therapists employed by the Marion Center. All three raised the issue of the Medicaid fraud. All were fired in 2006. But both the DOJ's case and Jones' lawsuit contend that a pattern of fraud and whistleblower retaliation extended beyond that time, into the period when Santorum served on the UHS board.

In the statement sent to HuffPost in July, UHS initially denied the allegations brought by Jones and the DOJ. "We are defending these cases vigorously to demonstrate that Marion Youth Center did not engage in any fraudulent practices as alleged," the statement reads. The cases are ongoing, however, and the company declined to comment further.

But court records show that the company is close to finalizing a settlement with the government.

The Marion Center is closing. Its lease has run out and could not be renewed, UHS told HuffPost in an email. The last day for employees is Friday, UHS said. But hundreds of other UHS facilities remain open.

"For too many years, UHS has been given a free pass," says Susan Lawrence, a parent and advocate in Virginia whose adopted child had resided in a UHS facility. "And they're not being held accountable by the government agencies."

Lawrence is especially angry with board members like Santorum. "I'm also tired of board members pleading ignorance and getting a free pass when their corporations break laws," she says. "The board should have known. It was their responsibility to know."

"If Santorum cannot be responsible for knowledgeable leadership of a corporation as a board member," she says, "he could never lead the greatest country in the world."

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story indicated that were problems with a UHS facility in Kansas. The facility is located in Missouri.

This is the third in a series of stories on UHS facilities during Santorum's tenure on the hospital chain's board. The other stories can be found here and here.

• View Profile
Santorum & Sandusky
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »
Note: this article says that Sembler is Romney's national finance co-chair. I'm not sure that's still true.
This NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/31/us/po ... -iowa.html) from Dec 30, 2011 says Sembler is "a top Republican donor and a member of Mr. Romney’s Florida finance team".

http://healthfreedom2012.com/HFblog/201 ... tt-romney/

Child-Abuse Rings: are Romney and Santorum Connected?

February 16, 2012
Written by droregano Posted in Uncategorized

Dirty Money, Child-Abuse/Molestation, Suicide, and More

They call it dirty politics. Yet, this takes politics it to a new level. This is the sexual and physical abuse of youths for political and financial gain. In acts sicker than can be imagined American youths are brutalized on a daily basis. These youths are belittled and tormented. They are even tortured and imprisoned. They are psychologically tormented. They are accosted and raped. Food and water is denied to them. It is wicked beyond belief. Moreover, it is all real and undeniable. Even worse, today’s political candidates are indelibly tied to it. That may shock some people. Yet, these ties are impossible to refute.

Who are these candidates who are directly tied to this abuse? They are Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum. The ties are largely through so-called Republican Party powerbrokers. Sembler’s role as an agent of corruption is beyond dispute. Yet, because of his political ‘favors’ he has been given many high appointments. Says Arnold Trebach, Professor Emeritus of Law at America University:

As a proud American I find Melvin Sembler, our ambassador to Italy, and his wife, Betty, to be profound embarrassments. It is important that their advice on the drug war and especially on drug treatment be ignored. Indeed, it might be best if Italians listened to what this powerful couple had to say about drugs—and then followed policies in precisely the opposite direction.

There are surely many doubters. Then, it was Reason.com’s Maia Szalavitz who titled her article in June 2007 “Romney, Torture, and Teens” Says John Gorenfeld:

For 16 years Sembler, with his wife Betty, directed the leading juvenile rehab business in America, STRAIGHT, Inc., before seeing it dismantled by a breathtaking array of institutional abuse claims by mid-1993. Just one of the many survivors is Samantha Monroe, now a travel agent in Pennsylvania, who told The Montel Williams Show this year about overcoming beatings, rape by a counselor, forced hunger, and the confinement to a janitor’s closet in “humble pants”—which contained weeks of her own urine, feces, and menstrual blood. During this “time-out” she gnawed her cheek and spat blood at her overseers. I refused to let them take my mind,” she says of the program. The abuse took years to overcome.

This is no isolated case. According to sworn testimony, as described by Barry Beyerstein in his book Thought Reform, and the Road to Hell Straight often left restrained group members sitting in their own urine, feces, or vomit, until suitable concessions were extracted.

According to the Cafferty Report Sembler’s evil knows no bounds. As Cafferty noted:

Soon enough, Straight’s tactics caught up to it in the courts…A college student won a false imprisonment claim of $220,000 in 1983, and another claim cost Straight, Inc., $721,000 in 1990. A Straight, Inc., spin-off, called “Kids of New Jersey” settled a $4.5 million abuse claim in 2000. Straight chapters across the country began to shut down, culminating with the last branch in Atlanta closing in 1993.

Now, make no mistake about it Romney’s involvement is far from incidental. Sembler is his national finance co-chair. Commonly, Romney shows a kind of brutally arrogant mean streak before the people, especially the pitiful and vulnerable. Then, again, Sembler is the founder of Straight, and, thus, all the acts which were achieved there, all the abuse, torment, and oppression—all the sadistic acts of child abuse, torment, and rape—but also all the murders, were under his watch. Sembler is responsible for these, and to a large degree Sembler is Romney.

It is not just the victims who have attested to this. Notes Maia Szalavitz in her 2007 article, “At all of Straight’s facilities state investigators…documented scores of abuses, including teens being beaten, deprived of food and sleep for days, restrained by fellow youth for hours, bound, sexually humiliated, abused, and spat upon. According to the L.A. Times California investigators determined that the teens at Sembler’s clinics were “subjected to unusual punishment, infliction of pain, humiliation, intimidation, ridicule, coercion, threats (and) mental abuse.” In addition, the most basic functions of life always take for granted for the young and developing, such as “eating, sleeping, and toileting,” were denied to them. Sadistic monsters—how else can they be described?

That Romney is involved with such a man does not bode well for his potential as the ruler of the land. Yet, then, they have more in common with each other than mere political campaigning.

These various clinics are not just run by anybody. Rather, many are run either by the Democratic Party or the GOP. In these various facilities, many of which are similar to those presided upon by Sembler, the following fatalities occurred:

Aaron Albert Grey, 16 years-old: died of unexplained causes in 2001
Aaron Wright Bacon, 16 years-old: died in 1994 of untreated abdominal infection
Alex Cullinane, 13 years-old: died in 2006, under investigation
Alex Harris, 12 years-old: died in 2005 of a blow to the head and dehydration
Agellika Arndt, 7 years-old: died in 2006 of traumatic asphyxiation while restrained
Anthony Dumas, 15 years-old: died in 2000, hanged himself; facility workers didn’t cut him down, took pictures
Anthony Green, 15 years-old, 1991, died of traumatic asphyxiation
Anthony T. Haynes, 14 years-old, 2001, died of dehydration
Ashley Shaddox, 14 years-old, died in 1998
Bobby Joe Randolph, 17 years-old, died in 1996 of traumatic asphyxiation
Bobby Sue Thomas, 17 years-old, died in 1996 of acute cardiac arrhythmia, while restrained
Brandon Hadden, 18 years-old, died in 1998, choked on his vomit while being restrained
Caleb Jensen, 15 years-old, died 2007, untreated severe staph infection
Travis Parker, 13 years-old, died 2005 from asthma after being denied treatment while being restrained
Tristan Sovern, 16 years-old, died 1998 from asphyxiation while being restrained
Valerie Ann Heron, 17 years-old, died, 2001, suicide by jumping from a balcony
Victoria Petersilka, died 2002, suicide by hanging
Unidentied, 16 years-old, died 2007, suicide by hanging

These are just a few of the victims of this murderous system. The world should be screaming at the top of its lungs at these crimes. Yet, hardly a word is not spoken nor a memory voiced. It would seem that Romney’s association with Sembler is more than merely for political connections. There is something far more diabolical here.

Consider another Romney associate, Robert Lichfield. The founder of the so-called World Wide Association of Specialty Schools (WWASP) Litchfield operated dozens of schools across the country and overseas, most of which were shut down after allegations of abuse. According to legal filings teens were “locked in outdoor dog cages, exercised to exhaustion, deprived of food and sleep, exposed to extreme temperatures without adequate clothing or water…” They were also beaten severely to the point of causing physical wounds and sexually abused. Suffering every conceivable humiliation, “some were even made to eat their own vomit.” All this occurred under Romney’s control.

Here is another example of his direct involvement. In 1984 Romney founded Bain Capital Group, which operated Aspen Educational Group. One of its facilities in Oregon was shut down by the Department of Human Services after substantial child abuse was proven by investigators. In one case in yet another program a 16 year-old boy died from what were determined to be “reckless” acts by the Romney subsidiary. The former Romney group has been slammed with a number of lawsuits for “emotional, physical, and sexual abuse” of the juveniles.

These youths were subjected to sadistic punishments such as having to reenact traumatic experiences, including prior instances of child sexual abuse before fellow residents, extreme isolation, prolonged deprivation of food and water as well as shelter and basic medical care. The victims, it was reported, were “required to go days with little or no sleep and also regularly forced into ‘chain gang’-style labor.” In yet additional torment phone calls to families were limited but also monitored…and “parents were instructed by staff not to believe their children if they claimed…abuse.” In other words, the parents were instructed that, as a routine, their children would lie and should not be believed: it was part of the process.

As if to confirm the malicious nature of the entity this Romney subsidiary established the following Waiver and Release, signed in advance, by parents delivering their children:

Sponsor intends by this Waiver and Release to release in advance and to waive his or her rights and discharge each and every one of the Release Parties from any and all claims for damages, death, personal injury, or property damage, which Sponsor may have or which may hereafter accrue as a result of the student’s participation…even though that liability may arise from negligence or carelessness (or) from dangerous, defective property or equipment…Additionally, sponsor covenants not to sue any of the Sponsors…

A history of sadism also surrounds Santorum. It was this man who was indelibly tied to that vile monster and noted child rapist Jerry Sandusky. Yes, it’s true despite plausible denials Santorum is directly connected with a pedophilia ring headed by ex-assistant Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky. The founder of a Pennsylvania-based charity purporting to aid troubled juveniles, Second Mile, Sandusky used the facility for far different reasons than acclaimed. The orphaned, troubled, and vulnerable children/teens he took in were, in fact, commonly raped. Sandusky himself had sex with dozens of them.

It gets even worse. As reported originally by Wayne Madsen Sandusky and his vile ones farmed numerous of these children out to be used as sex objects. This was by the mighty and rich, including U.S. Congressmen and Senators as well as rich donors. Like Sandusky, Santorum housed these juveniles as pages, making them ultimately available to both the wealthy and Washington, D.C.-based politicians. That’s why he tries to deflect people from the issue.

Yet, what was Santorum’s position on Sandusky? He regarded him so highly that he personally gave him an award, the Congressional Angels in Adoption Award. It is beyond belief: that Santorum-orchestrated award honored him for ruining the lives of vulnerable children and adolescents.
Sandusky has since publically admitted his proclivity for these acts.

When NBC’s Bob Costas interviewed Sandusky, asking him, “Are you sexually attracted to young boys or underage boys?,” he responded, as if he didn’t hear the question, “Am I sexually attracted to underage boys? Yes.” The man is so fixed in his rot that he couldn’t resist proclaiming this, even on national TV. He also admitted that he was caught sexually abusing a 10 year-old boy in a shower at Penn State. In describing the unspeakable said assistant coach Mike McQueary, who witnessed the act, Sandusky was raping the child in the anus. McQueary reported this directly to the head coach, Joe Paterno. However, Paterno failed to report it to the police. As the traumatized youths kept coming forward, lawsuits for sexual abuse were launched. As a result, Santorum’s and Sandusky’s ‘angelic’ adoption center was shuttered, and all assets seized in order to settle the suits.
Now, while Santorum denies it he is indelibly tied to Sandusky.

As revealed by Wayne Madsen in the Madsen Report these men worked closely not only in the Second Mile project but also directly in placing the youths in harm’s way. Santorum himself used these youths in his offices as pages. In other words, regarding these highly vulnerable juveniles the two worked as a team. However, now, when asked about it, what does Santorum say? He says that, as reported on November 8, 2011, by the Philadelphia Inquirer, he “does not know Sandusky personally.” Then, who presented the award, his fairy God mother? Santorum also defended those high ones at Penn State, saying they should be treated leniently. Even after child rape was officially reported by the police the highly compromised Santorum stood strong for both Sandusky and Paterno, instead of defending the families and children. When people questioned Paterno’s failure to report the crime to police, which is a state law, again, Santorum came to his defense. In contrast, he never said a word of concern about the victims or their families, and that’s a big never. The family values candidate can now be categorically re-named the Unfamily values candidate.

Yet, through Santorum’s blockade how many other people were harmed? How many other youths were raped and abused because of the indifference of Santorum, Penn State officials, and their likes? As a former Senator and close associate of Sandusky he was in the position to help: to make the revelations that could have prevented further horrors. He could have assisted those tormented ones, cooperating with the police. Not this individual. Instead, he maintained the cover of the perpetrators.

This is not the first time Santorum ran cover for pedophiles. In 2006 on PCNTV during the Mark Foley scandal, when interviewed about the issue of the molestation of pages he said:

You know, if we’re talking about page programs—when the national security of this country is hanging in the balance—and the media says, ‘no, don’t pay attention to that, let’s focus on this.’

Clearly, Santorum was running interference for Foley, but was that the only reason for his attempt to distract? Even so, regarding Foley, while he had all along been molesting congressional pages, it was only when a degree of evidence surfaced that brought this to light. So, what was Santorum defending? It was surely not family values but acts that are the most anti-family conceivable. It was “suggestive emails and sexually explicit instant messages” sent “to under-age males” who were at that time working as congressional pages.

Yes, Santorum did the inconceivable. He took action to distract attention from this. As the family candidate isn’t his duty to do the opposite, which is to bring attention to the molestation of the basis of the family, which is the children? Shouldn’t he have held strong in defense of the pages and their families, calling for the most extreme measures to protect the innocent, the tormented? Instead, he sought to cause people to focus on some supposed external threat, those dangerous ‘Muslims’, which he merely invents? What kind of sick criminal is he that he would maliciously and purposely run interference for Foley, just like he did for the perpetrators at Penn State?

After all, it was Foley himself would said as reported by Satyam Khanna that his lurid emails were just “a momentary lapse of judgment,” while admitting that he carried on “the computer conversations for months, asking about masturbation, sex, and other details.” In real life no one does this with juveniles, except a pervert. Would anyone want that done to their sons or daughters? He even had the audacity to say that he’s “not a pedophile, because the pages were almost 18.”

Now, have no doubt about it Foley not only emailed these pages but also had sex with a number of them. He just did it in a tricky way. He kept soliciting them for sex and then waited until the pages were 18, and it was then that he had sex with them. Sick as he is, it was Foley who was the former co-chair of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children. That scheming pedophile clandestinely placed himself in the perfect position. Here, he helped enact laws that toughened the penalties on Internet predators, who solicited sex from youths. Placed in this position, he well knew that the high penalties were for those who then perpetrated the molestation before 18. After that, it could be disguised as “consensual.” Yet, he was precisely one such Internet predator, since he was soliciting sex, particularly in 16 and 17 year-olds. Then, according to the youths themselves when they reached 18-years of age he had sex with them. Remember, these were youths put under the auspices of Congress to serve the Congressmen. They had put their trust in these men. There could be no crime greater than to molest such vulnerable youths.

So, Mr. Santorum, why are you doing anything on behalf of this man? Why did you run interference for him, blaming the media, if you care anything about these youth’s families? Are you connected directly to that page-soliciting pedophilia ring? You do have much to hide. Otherwise, why else would you make every effort to deflect the issue?

What degree of pain did they needlessly suffer, what psychological damage that was preventable, all because Santorum helped disguise and minimize their crimes? Here again, the always hypocritical Santorum is supports to the bloody end precisely the people he condemns, adulterers, pornographers, rapists, and pedophiles, while paying no heed to the victims, the families. Who could be viler than this? Anyone who supports this man is supporting not only hypocrisy but pedophilia itself.

Then, what are his connections to pedophilia? They are significant, so much so that he chooses to lie about it. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer Santorum said he doesn’t know Sandusky. Now, wait a minute. He was the one who handed him that special award, “Congressional Angels in Adoption Award” in 2002. He didn’t just give him the award at that gala event but also sponsored the then assistant coach to achieve it. His statement “doesn’t ever recall meeting him” is not merely a lie; after all he personally gave him that award. It is all extremely telling. It proves he has much to hide.

What about the victims, Santorum? Do you care nothing for them? Thus, he said about Sandusky’s sadistic operation:
He ran a very respected charity who did a lot of work for kinds in trouble. I had a lot of friends who were on his board and spoke highly of him, so it seemed to me to be pretty natural. But it was obviously a huge mistake.
That’s not good enough. It’s still a cover-up. Santorum is still not talking the real talk, which is concern for the victims and launching an investigation to prevent more crimes.

Remember, in 2002 he knew about it and did nothing except to aid and abet the operation. He was, after all, a Senator in the midst of all this, while children were coming forward, and their families, claiming molestation. So, does his behavior jive with his words? According to Santorum:
You can say I’m a hater. But I would argue I’m a lover. I’m a lover of traditional families and of the right of children to have a mother and father. I would argue that the future of America hangs in the balance, because the future of the family hangs in the balance. Isn’t that the ultimate homeland security, standing up and defending marriage?

He says he loves “traditional families.” You see the words above. A traditional family is the parents plus children protected from harm and surely from sexual perversion. Yet, when the traditional family comes forward, like those suffering from Sandusky’s and Foley’s sadistic acts, what does Santorum do? He doesn’t defend the family or its vulnerable children. Incredibly, instead he defends the molesters.

The tobacco “family” candidate
Would a real family candidate be a promoter of big tobacco? Not hardly. Investigations into his lobbyist connections found that Santorum’s second-highest total came from the Altria Group, the newer face for Philip Morris Companies and U.S. Tobacco. The makers of Marlboro cigarettes and Skoal tobacco have spent some 100,000 in PAC funds to advance Santorum’s political career.

It was Santorum when as a member of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, who opposed increased restrictions on the tobacco industry and was largely responsible for killing the 1998 Universal Tobacco Settlement Act.

The bill aimed to “prevent the use of tobacco products by minors” and to “redress the adverse health effects of tobacco use.” It also would have incorporated a settlement requiring the industry to pay billions of dollars to state governments. After Congress failed to pass it, a narrower settlement was reached between the tobacco companies and state attorneys general.

Through this action Santorum has damaged the family infrastructure by giving free reign for tobacco companies to do endless harm to the youth. How much did he get paid for that?
He’s a family candidate, alright, when it comes to soliciting votes.

So, Mr. Romney and Mr. Santorum, how can these ties to pedophilia and the abuse of America’s youth be explained away? In fact, for both of these presidential candidates there is much explaining to do. Yes, there is a need for an immediate explanation of any involvement, for instance, Mr. Santorum, because this is the man who you honored:

In the fall 2000 a janitor named James Calhoun observed Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy, known as Victim 8, pinned up against the wall, performing oral sex on the boy. He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as between the ages of 11 and 13.

What kind of children were abused? Normal children, your children, impoverished, vulnerable children. According to Lee Bailey’s Eurweb “Poor children became easy prey for Sandusky, who would start with mentoring, then move on to hosting the boys for overnights in the bedroom at his home, then initiate copulation, anal sex, according to the grand jury report.
Santorum, you lie: you say you don’t recall meeting or knowing this man. You know it is a lie.

It was also widely known that Sandusky was twice investigated for illicit acts with children:

In 1998 Gricar (the DA) made the decision not to file charges against Sandusky after a mother told university police Sandusky had inappropriate contact with her 11-year-old son. (Yet) according to detectives’ testimony (who eavesdropped on the conversation at the mother’s request) Sandusky told the mother… “I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won’t get it from you. I wish I were dead…”

Now, it’s not he who wishes he was dead but the family—the parents and the children, as reported by on national TV:
One of the mothers of the victims, whose voice was disguised and recently spoke to Good Morning America in silhouette, said, “There was a time when my son started acting out. He was angry about something, we didn’t know what.”

How serious is this? It’s serious beyond belief. If a person in an office is found scanning the Internet on porn sites, such a one is fired immediately. No excuse. So, explain it, Mr. Santorum. The award was given in 2002. Penn State officials knew about Sandusky’s acts, and so did you. You knew about the prior abuse. Your own behavior belies it. Let’s hear you for once speak on behalf of even one of these victims instead of protecting the realm. Let’s hear your excuse, now. Prove to us that you really do care about our American families. And Mr. Romney, explain to us, too, your connections with the pedophilia/child abuse rings tied to both you and Mel Sembler.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2008/ ... /foley-int
http://sweetness-light.com/archive/fbi- ... ny-sex-in-
santorumexposed.com/…/198-Santorum-Blames-Media-for-Page-Sca…
http://www.thestranger.com/slog/archive ... 3/rick-san
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/05 ... ntorum-quo
http://www.thestraights.com/index-archieves-p1.htm
http://thestraights.com/essays/beyerste ... _straight..
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/big_ ... 41763.html
http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/52300/mto-e ... port-most-
www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xn9Suu12g
http://www.dailypaul.com/204354/the-vio ... of-rick-sa
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/a-visibly-an ... santorum-b
www.eurweb.com/…/boys-in-penn-state-molestation-scandal-ma…
http://www.rollitup.org/politics/504015 ... erial.html
http://www.thestraights.com/
http://medicalwhistleblower.blogspot.co ... ng-of.html
http://reason.com/archives/2007/06/27/r ... -and-teens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »
http://watchinguhs.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... -combined/

It appears UHS paid Santorum more in the six months before he left to run for president than he received in the previous two years combined

Posted on February 29, 2012

CREW, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, takes a look at the compensation Rick Santorum received from UHS (http://www.citizensforethics.org/blog/e ... e-scrutiny). They found Santorum was paid $227,345 for six months’ work for Universal Health Services, right before he left to run for President. That’s more than he was compensated during the previous two years combined.

UHS’ political action committee and employees are the second largest source of contributions to Santorum’s campaign.

Another question relates to Mr. Santorum’s compensation as a director of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS), a hospital chain based in Pennsylvania, in the months before Mr. Santorum announced his candidacy for president. Mr. Santorum joined the UHS board in 2007, and served until June 14, 2011, when he resigned to run. According to SEC filings, UHS paid him $50,412 in director fees and stock options in 2007, $77,958 in fees and options in 2008, $45,000 in fees in 2009 (no options were awarded), and $168,069 in fees and options in 2010.

UHS has not made public its 2011 director’s compensation yet, but it appears Mr. Santorum was paid more in the six months before he left to run for president than he was in the previous two years combined. On the personal financial disclosure form he filed in September 2011, Mr. Santorum declared UHS paid him $395,414 in director fees and stock options from January 2010 through June 2011. Subtracting the $168,069 UHS said it paid him in 2010, Mr. Santorum apparently was paid $227,345 for six months work for UHS. There is no evident explanation for the significantly higher compensation. Notably, however, UHS and its employees are major contributors to Mr. Santorum. In fact, the company’s employees and political action committee make up the second largest source of contributions to Mr. Santorum’s presidential campaign, giving him $20,000.

• View Profile
Rick Santorum & Teen Mania
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:24:40 AM »
This thread seems like a good place to house this....

http://veracitystew.com/2012/03/05/brai ... N-m.reddit

Brainwashing Kids: Rick Santorum’s Link to Controversial Youth Ministry
03/05/2012 · 8:20 am By Deb Della Piana Leave a Comment

Ron Luce / Teen Mania Ministries

It’s easy to dismiss Rick Santorum as the clown prince of the GOP. I find myself doing it because some of his positions are ludicrous, like prenatal testing encourages abortion. Or that we should end public education and all children should be home schooled. He believes that the Bible is our guidebook and that the Constitution should be minimized. He is the fundamentalist candidate for sure, and there is nothing democratic about fundamentalism. At it’s core, fundamentalism is totalitarian. Rick Santorum, although amusing, is also very dangerous. Particularly when it comes to young impressionable minds.

There are other disturbing things about Rick Santorum. One of those things is that he has been a vocal supporter of Ron Luce’s Teen Mania Ministries, stating “As a parent of six children, I am very cognizant of the impact of media and entertainment on our kids. In Battle Cry, Ron Luce takes the first important step in educating and equipping parents. It’s our job to take the next step parenting our children and helping them to navigate the culturally hostile world they and their peers live in 24 hours a day.”

What Santorum is referring to is Luce’s book, Battle Cry for a Generation, a book that enables our nation’s youth to understand the importance of faith and encourages them to defend it against the onslaught of secular thought found in their schools and in popular culture. In plain English, it discourages young people from thinking for themselves. It discourages critical thought. It’s goal is to ‘dumb-down’ kids. In the book, Luce identifies the enemies of youth as “Morally corrupt films and television programs; An increasingly perverted music industry; The pornographic invasion of the internet; Civil initiatives promoting gay marriage; Battles to remove the Ten Commandments from public buildings, and fights to take ‘under God’ out of the Pledge of Allegiance.”

For those who aren’t familiar with Teen Mania Ministries (est. 1986), one of the largest Christian youth ministries in the United States headquartered in Garden Valley, Texas, its goal is to brainwash our youth, then send them out into the world to brainwash others. Teen Mania boasts six major programs and, given Luce’s position on pop culture, it’s no surprise that one is “The Center for Creative Media” (for those who want to express their faith while working with television,  film, graphic design and other media) and another is “The School of Worship” where young musicians are encouraged to use their music for the glory of God. If the brainwashing aspect of Teen Ministries isn’t scary enough, how it’s accomplished is horrifying.

On their site is a section called Extreme Camps, described as ‘A Life Transforming Experience.’ The activities are presented as fun, like Paintball, Extreme Olympics, and Extreme Pool. Then there’s the Splash Kingdom water park and something called E.T.A.C., or the East Texas Adventure Course. Here’s what they don’t tell you: Attendees crawl through mud, undergo sleep deprivation and verbal abuse, and are fed vomit-inducing foods. A documentary on MSNBC, entitled “Mind Over Mania,” showed a dish of live worms being served up for dinner. It may well be a life transforming experience, but not one of a positive nature as evidenced by the kids who have survived their ordeal to tell their story on a blog entitled Recovering Alumni.

On the Recovering Alumni site, you will learn the true extent of the brainwashing America’s Christian youth are subjected to. In the “Josiah Project,” Luce indulges in blatant gay bashing:

“Hi, I’m Ron Luce and today on Acquire The Fire we are going to talk about what does it mean to be a real man, to be a real man of God not some sissy little limp-wristed thing bouncing around acting like some pansy little Christian. Its about being a man of God like Jesus. Stay tuned if you want to be a real man.”

Their need for the interns to stick out the year in the Honor Academy is continuously rammed home. This is what brainwashing is all about. Says one of the alumni,

“They are told that if they leave the Honor Academy before their full year is up, their ability to be successful in life will be severely hindered and that even their future marriage is probably doomed since they presumably can’t keep a commitment. They are also told that they will be out of God’s will and therefore disobedient and rebellious. If you’ve never been to the HA, that might sound unconvincing or even trivial. But let me tell you, it is CONSTANTLY hammered into your brain by all levels of leadership to the point that most interns won’t even entertain the thought of leaving for fear of sinning against God.”

Ron Luce, founder of Teen Mania Ministries, presents his mission as a “battle.” On stage, images of weapons are often used. He uses current and former members of the U.S. Armed forces at the Battle Cry stadium events, encouraging teens to become warriors in the battle.

One watchdog site, called Acquire the Evidence (a play on Luce’s own Acquire the Fire) notes that Luce spends much of his time talking about how corporate America makes money by targeting the teen market without showing concern for their moral decay, yet many former product managers and advertising executives from companies such as Gillette, Proctor & Gamble and Leo Burnett Advertising have held high positions in Teen Mania Ministries. Luce himself has managed to make a tidy profit off teens. The ministry’s tax return for the year ending 2004 showed him earning $127,500 a year, while his wife earned an additional $35.000.

There’s no question that Rick Santorum is out of touch with the needs and beliefs of the majority of Americans, but he’s also out of touch with reality. What he supports is a Christian lunatic fringe organization that would teach the youth of America that it’s wrong to question and to think for themselves. Today’s youth is America’s future. I shudder to think what might become of this nation should they inherit it.

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
Universal Health Services (UHS) to pay 6.85 MILLION
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »
http://7thspace.com/headlines/409082/us ... tions.html

PROVIDED BY: 7th SPACE INTERACTIVE

USDOJ: Residential Youth Treatment Facility for Medicaid Recipients in Marion, Virginia Agrees to Resolve False Claims Act Allegations

Published on: 2012-03-28

Universal Health Services Inc. (UHS) and two subsidiaries have reached a settlement in a False Claims Act lawsuit with the United States and the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Justice Department announced today.   Under the settlement, UHS and its subsidiaries, Keystone Education and Youth Services LLC and Keystone Marion LLC, which did business as the Keystone Marion Youth Center, a residential facility in Marion, Va ., agreed to pay $6.85 million to the United States and the commonwealth to settle allegations that they provided substandard psychiatric counseling and treatment to adolescents in violation of Medicaid requirements, falsified records and submitted false claims to the Medicaid program.  UHS closed the Marion facility earlier this year.

This settlement resolves a whistleblower lawsuit filed by Megan Johnson, Leslie Webb and Kimberly Stafford-Payne, former therapists at the closed facility.   UHS and its subsidiaries have paid an additional amount under the terms of the agreement to the former therapists to settle their separate discrimination and attorney’s fees claims.   The United States and the Commonwealth of Virginia had intervened in the lawsuit on November 4, 2009.  

Under the False Claims Act, an entity that submits false or fraudulent claims to the government is liable for three times the government’s damages, plus a civil penalty for each false claim.   The claims settled by this agreement are allegations only; there has been no determination of liability.

“The Justice Department is committed to investigating cases in which health care providers have put patients at risk by failing to meet the appropriate standards of care,” said Stuart F. Delery, Acting Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Civil Division.  “Today’s settlement demonstrates our commitment to protecting the integrity of the Medicaid program and making sure that patients who rely on federal health programs receive the care they deserve.”

“This settlement resolves disturbing allegations that Universal Health Services Inc. and its subsidiaries in Virginia made false records and presented false claims to Virginia Medicaid in connection with sub-standard care to emotionally troubled youth at a residential treatment facility in Marion, Virginia,” said Timothy J. Heaphy, United States Attorney for the Western District of Virginia. “This result, which provides substantial reimbursement to the Virginia Medicaid program, demonstrates our strong partnership with the Virginia Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit and our commitment to use all available means, including civil remedies under the False Claims Act, to combat health care fraud.”

“Any organization providing substandard health services then sending inflated bills to taxpayers, as UHS is alleged to have done, can expect intense scrutiny by government investigators,” said Daniel R. Levinson, Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services. “Those intent on defrauding our programs should know that we will continue to work closely with State law enforcement agencies to fight Medicaid fraud.

“This settlement, which returns a substantial sum to the Virginia Medicaid program, is a testament to the strength of such a collaborative partnership,” said Ken Cuccinelli, Virginia Attorney General. “This case sends a clear message that fraud and exploitation of our most vulnerable citizens will not be tolerated in the commonwealth.”

Acting Assistant Attorney General Delery acknowledged the efforts made by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Virginia, the Virginia Attorney General’s office, the Civil Division of the Justice Department, the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the Inspector General and the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit.

This resolution is part of the government’s emphasis on combating health care fraud and another step for the Health Care Fraud Prevention and Enforcement Action Team (HEAT) initiative, which was announced by Attorney General Eric Holder and Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services in May 2009. The partnership between the two departments has focused efforts to reduce and prevent Medicare and Medicaid financial fraud through enhanced cooperation.  One of the most powerful tools in that effort is the False Claims Act, which the Justice Department has used to recover $6.7 billion since January 2009 in cases involving fraud against federal health care programs.  The Justice Department’s total recoveries in False Claims Act cases since January 2009 are more than $9 billion.  

Contact: Department of Justice Main Switchboard - 202-514-2000

Reported by: US Department of Justice
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:03:08 AM by wdtony »
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
Universal Health Services (UHS) to pay 6.85 MILLION
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 05:59:58 AM »
http://www2.wjtv.com/news/2012/mar/28/u ... r-3498360/

US: Va. treatment center operators to pay $6.85m

By: | Associated Press
Published: March 28, 2012[/b]

MARION, Va. (AP)

The operators of a now-closed residential treatment center in southwest Virginia have agreed to a $6.85 million settlement with the state and federal governments over alleged substandard psychiatric treatment for adolescents.

The Justice Department announced the settlement Wednesday involving the former Keystone Marion Youth Center in Smyth (smith) County. The settlement involves Universal Health Services Inc. and two subsidiaries.

The government says the settlement resolves a whistleblower lawsuit filed by three former therapists at the closed center.

Justice officials say the "disturbing allegations" against Universal Health Services and its subsidiaries involved false records and claims to Virginia Medicaid in connection with shoddy care to emotionally troubled youth at the treatment center in Marion.

The government says the three therapists settled a separate discrimination claim with Universal.
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
http://www.psychcrime.org/articles/Univ ... ients.html

CHILDREN WHO DIED IN UNIVERSAL HEALTH SERVICES FACILITIES

Omega Leach, 17, a troubled teen from Philadelphia, was placed at UHS’ Chad Youth Development Center in May 2007. He died just one month later, on June 3. The coroner found that Leach had multiple hemorrhages of his neck muscles after a struggle with two Chad staff members. Tennessee child-welfare officials said staff should have given Leach space to calm down on June 2 when he retreated to a dorm after a fight with another resident. Instead, he was ordered to leave the dorm, sparking the confrontation in which police said he was pushed face-down to the floor with his arms behind his back. His death was ruled a homicide by the Tennessee medical examiner.

Monique Payne, 14, was a patient at UHS’ Westwood Lodge in Westwood Massachusetts in February 2006 when she complained of pressure in her head. She vomited, began hyperventilating and begged for help. It was due to her brain tumor—something the hospital knew about—but a nurse thought she was faking and merely gave her cold medicine. By morning she was dead.

Linda Harris, 14, was a resident of UHS’ Chad Youth Enhancement Center for only four days when she died in September 2005. According to her medical records, Harris, whose developmental age was close to that of a six-year-old, had been raped by a 20-year-old who she’d struck up a relationship with over the Internet when she lived in New York. The perpetrator was never caught. According to a police report following her death, Harris had been “flashing” boys (exposing herself). A Chad counselor responded by pulling her arms behind her back and escorting her to a “time-out” room, where it was reported that she “became limp and fell on the floor.” After a few moments, they called 911 and started CPR. However, investigator’s reports made public in 2007 paint a different picture: The counselor, 260 lb. Charles Garner, was reported by another Chad resident to have been “body slamming” the asthmatic Harris. When other Chad staff arrived, Harris was unresponsive, her face was bloody and she had soiled herself.
TIMELINE OF UNIVERSAL HEALTH SERVICES’ DEATHS, CRIMES, VIOLATIONS, ETC.

October 22, 1991: Larry Ashley, former head administrator at UHS’ BridgeWay hospital in North Little Rock, Arkansas, was sentenced to life in prison without parole for the murder of his wife, whose body was found stuffed into the trunk of her 1988 Acura Legend. She’d been shot twice, once in the mouth. They had been married less than a year. 1

June 17, 1996: Psychiatrist Thomas Cassidy, who was affiliated with UHS’ Lincoln Trail Hospital (in Kentucky), pleaded guilty to three counts of fraud—one each against Medicaid, Medicare and CHAMPUS (now known as TriCare) and was sentenced to 12 months prison and two years probation. He also paid $80,645 in restitution. His guilty plea was in response to charges of using unqualified therapists; billing for sessions not performed and upcoding. 2

August 27, 1996: UHS’ Two Rivers Psychiatric Hospital (in Kansas City, Missouri) pleaded no contest in federal court to paying more than $40,000 in kickbacks to a psychologist for referring patients covered by federal health benefits. The hospital acknowledged receiving more than $63,159.36 in federal reimbursements—which they paid back in restitution. Craig Nuckles, currently UHS’ Regional Vice President for Behavioral Health, was CEO of Two Rivers at that time. He remarked, “This was just the most expeditious way to get this over with.” The hospital reported to federal authorities that the kickbacks had stopped (in other words, they did not deny they were doing it). 3

February 27, 1997: A former managing director of UHS’ Two Rivers Psychiatric Hospital) pleaded guilty to defrauding the federal CHAMPUS (now known as TriCare) health care program (for families of military and reserve personnel). 4

June 10, 1997: 18-year-old Sakena Dorsey died at UHS’ Foundations Behavioral Health Center in Bucks County, Pennsylvania while she was being restrained face down. No criminal charges were filed. Dorsey had a history of asthma and problems with swollen tonsils that hindered her breathing. 5

June 19, 1997: Settlement of Beal, et al v UHS of Delaware and UHS President & CEO Allan B. Miller. This was a federal lawsuit regarding collection of a debt. (Details of complaint not available.) 6

March 4, 1998: 16-year-old Tristan Sovern was restrained face-down on the floor with a towel in his mouth and died of asphyxiation at Charter Hospital in Greensboro, North Carolina. Joe C. Crabtree, UHS’ Divisional Vice President for Behavioral Health, was Vice President of Operations at Charter at that time. 7

July 2002: John Freeman, a mental health technician formerly employed at UHS’ Parkwood Behavioral Health System (in Mississippi), pleaded guilty to felony sexual battery and was sentenced to 20 years in prison. Freeman performed oral sex on a 13-year-old patient. 8

Fall 2002: Massachusetts state regulators forced UHS-owned Pembroke Hospital to stop admitting children for two weeks. A mother of a six-year-old girl had complained that her daughter had been mistreated. According to a local newspaper, a state investigation found that the hospital had kept the 6-year-old in the strictest restrictions for five days without justification. A letter written by the Commissioner of Mental Health in Massachusetts, Marylou Sudders, is quoted as saying, “current conditions present a serious risk to the health and safety of patients.” 9

October 2002: A four-months pregnant Hispanic woman (who spoke little English) was admitted to UHS’ Arbour Hospital after taking herself to Boston Medical Center following the onset of morning sickness. She was locked up at Arbour against her will and forced to take five different psychiatric drugs, despite her protests over the effects of the drugs on her unborn child. One of the drugs she was given caused her to collapse on the floor. All this drugging occurred in the absence of a court order and because of a language barrier. During her time at Arbour, a male patient attempted to rape her. Her baby was born with a heart condition while she was still being held at Arbour. Her husband contacted the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) for assistance in investigating the abuses against his wife. He and two CCHR representatives visited his wife at Arbour. The next day, the woman was threatened by Arbour staff with being put in restraint and seclusion if she did not tell her psychiatrist who she had been visited by. They followed through with their threat and released her only after finding out she’d been visited by CCHR. Throughout this time, the husband attempted to have wife released only to be told by the psychiatrist that he would have him put in jail, that he (psychiatrist) “makes the rules” and “has the power.” 10

2002: At UHS-owned Coastal Harbor Treatment Center in Georgia, four adolescent patients were left unsupervised for two hours and inappropriate sexual behavior occurred between the patients. A physical examination of the patients indicated that the sexual behavior was not consensual for at least one of the patients involved. 11

2002: UHS’ Westwood Lodge in Massachusetts was investigated for allegations that two employees sexually abused a 15-year-old female patient. UHS administrators did not believe the allegations made by the patient and did not report the allegations to officials or limit contact between the patient and the employees. The hospital kept the employees on staff and in contact with the patient for two months, even though the patient had talked about the abuse to multiple people, her family had reported their suspicions to the facility twice and the hospital had confirmed that the patient had the employees’ private cell phone numbers. UHS officials also knew that the patient had written about the abuse in a diary and had said that the employees had promised to help the patient escape the facility in return for sexual favors. The patient did escape the hospital on one occasion, and was returned to the facility by police. UHS eventually transferred the two mental health aides to a male unit in order to “minimize” the contact between the employees and the patient, but the employees were allowed to monitor the patient on two occasions after she had attempted suicide. Westwood Lodge administrators still did not report the allegations to state officials, who were not informed until a doctor from a different hospital reported the allegations after treating the teenager for sexual abuse. 12

2002: UHS-owned Laurel Heights Hospital in Georgia did not document whether it had investigated allegations by an adolescent patient who claimed to have been physically abused and raped; the child’s treatment plan did not explain why the patient was regularly put into the seclusion room; a staff member caused another child resident to break his/her arm by the utilization of an improper behavioral management technique and a different staff member did not follow proper procedures while administering an enema to the child resident. 13

March 10, 2003: Settlement of Andrews v New Perspectives, et al. In this case, a man who had injected himself with heroin went to the hospital due to feeling ill and having redness and swelling at the injection site on his left arm. He was given antibiotics and transferred to New Perspectives, a drug-alcohol rehab facility connected with Roxbury Treatment Center, which is owned by UHS. Despite the patient’s ill condition and repeated complaints about his infected arm, New Perspectives did not care for his medical concerns until three days later, when he was admitted to another medical hospital, where he had to have extensive surgical removal of tissue from his left arm due to gangrene. 14

July 2003: Seventeen year old Julie Woodward of New Wales, Pennsylvania began attending a two-week group therapy program at UHS’ Horsham Clinic due to a break-up with a boyfriend and conflicts with her parents. One condition of the program was that she take antidepressants. Just over a week into the program and while taking Zoloft, Julie hanged herself in her family’s garage. 15

August 10, 2003: 12-year-old Ronald Hamilton committed suicide by wrapping a bedsheet around his neck and attaching it to the door of his room at UHS’ The Pavillion, in Champaign, Illinois. Ronald had become upset upon hearing that he was to be transferred to another foster home the following day. Though Pavillion staff were supposed to check on him every 15 to 30 minutes, they failed to prevent his suicide. Ronald had no history of mental illness but it was noted that his spirits rapidly deteriorated upon being removed from his home (due to domestic violence). 16

December 2003: CCHR International received a report from a 16-year-old girl from Southern California who had been a resident of UHS’ Provo Canyon School in December 2003 which she describes being “kicked, restrained in several take-downs, my back was injured, I was drugged against my refusal by force, I was denied medical care for an overdose of Haldol (which was given by forced injection…)” She described “being held down so hard” by six Provo Canyon staff members while being injected with five milligrams of Haldol “that I nearly died of asphyxiation.” She states that Provo Canyon did not have parental consent for any type of restraint on her—chemical or physical. 17

In 2003, a charge nurse from UHS-owned Pembroke Hospital in Massachusetts wrote a letter to hospital administrator regarding an incident involving teenage patients that occurred one week after state regulators lifted a freeze on the admission of children. The incident is described in the letter as, “(one patient) started punching and kicking herself violently in the face…(another) was curled on the floor rocking, crying and scratching her wrists saying that she needed to see blood to make herself feel better.” The charge nurse reports in her letter that only one worker was available to watch both of these teenagers because another worker was caring for a third out of control patient. The boys’ unit was also out of control, with patients throwing furniture and breaking overhead light fixtures. No therapy groups were held that weekend, there were no outside trips, and the children were not even able to go to the cafeteria. The nurse wrote in the letter to hospital administrators, “Those children did not receive one bit of psychological therapy all weekend…. all because we did not have the appropriate staff and things were too out of control.” The licensing survey that resulted from the investigation done by the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health is reported to say, “Senior staff confirmed the belief that decisions are driven by finances with little consideration given to the impact of systematic quality of patient care.” 18

2003: At UHS-owned Glen Oaks Hospital in Texas, short staffing resulted in the facility’s failure to prevent two adolescent patients from having a sexual encounter in the male adolescent’s room. 19

2003: In 2003 at UHS-owned Laurel Heights Hospital in Georgia, an outbreak of patient illness had occurred in a children’s unit of the hospital. A statement from a nurse stated that the residents on that unit had been sick, but there was no documentation that indicated that Medical Director had been informed of the outbreak of an apparent respiratory illness. One resident had been feverish for several days and on bed rest. On the morning of 4/6/2003 the child was unresponsive with blue lips and labored breathing. The patient’s condition was observed by nursing staff at 8:25am, but the patient was not brought to the emergency room until 10:10am. There was no evidence that the patient’s condition was assessed before being brought to the emergency room or that the patient was assessed and monitored while being transferred. When the child arrived at the emergency room, s/he was in an altered mental status, did not have a gag reflex and his/her skin was cool and pale. The resident was diagnosed with pneumonia upon his/her admission to the emergency room. The investigation conducted by the State of Georgia also found that the facility had not done a clinical review of the incident to ensure that patients would not be placed in that kind of danger again. 20

2003: At UHS-owned Peachford Behavioral Health System in Georgia, a patient was suffering from bedsores and the state inspector found no documented plan of treating them or any documented evidence that treatment had been provided. 21

2003: In 2003 at the UHS-owned McAllen Medical Center in Texas, a patient was kept in soft restraints for 35 hours without a doctor order. A doctor then ordered that s/he be kept in restraints for an additional 24 hours without first assessing the patient face-to-face to determine that restraints were still necessary. 22

2004: Barry Bergmann, a former mental health counselor at UHS’ Spring Mountain Treatment Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, was convicted of statutory sexual seduction involving a teenage girl who was a patient at the center. Bergmann was sentenced to 24-to-60 months prison. During testimony at Bergmann’s sentencing hearing, she blamed four previous suicide attempts on Bergmann’s sexual abuses. The girl hanged herself while on suicide watch in a county juvenile detention center in April 2005. 23

February 21, 2004: 16-year-old Kaitlyn Kennedy hanged herself in the garage of her family’s home in Medway, Massachusetts. She had spent six days at UHS’ Westwood Lodge after cutting herself with a paperclip and drawing blood. Upon entering the facility, she admitted to having suicidal ideations of hanging herself or killing herself with a razor. Her parents later discovered that her Westwood medical records had repeated notations of her plans to hang herself. She had been hospitalized in a different facility in January 2004, where her prescriptions of Zoloft (antidepressant) and Seroquel (antipsychotic) were increased. Her Westwood medical record of February 11 (one week after the increase), that she reported, “increase in emotional lability, irritability and anxiety." 24

May 24, 2004: The Georgia Supreme Court ruled that Universal Health Services was not liable for the rape of a patient under a negligent hiring/retention lawsuit. Christine Munroe sued UHS for the rape she suffered while a patient at UHS’ Anchor Hospital. Nowhere in the ruling does UHS deny that mental health assistant Shawn Love raped Munroe—only that UHS did not breach its duty to exercise ordinary care to avoid hiring an employee who posed a reasonably foreseeable risk of inflicting personal harm on others. 25

June 2004: A 54-year-old patient at UHS’ Pembroke Hospital in Massachusetts died of cardiac arrest. The state’s Department of Mental Health conducted an investigation that revealed that a Pembroke aide delayed performing emergency resuscitation, that vital medical equipment was missing and that the hospital’s paging system was not audible in the physician’s room so the doctor on-call did not respond immediately. 26

July 30, 2004: Mark Houck, a former mental health counselor with UHS’ Hampton Behavioral Health Center, was sentenced to four years in prison for sexually assaulting a 17-year-old female patient. 27

July 2004: An inspection done by state regulators in Georgia found that the conditions at UHS’ Peachford Behavioral Health System placed patients in immediate jeopardy. A patient had been admitted to the hospital with a severe headache and an opiate dependence. An RN reported to state investigators that on the night in question, there was one nurse and one mental health assistant caring for 17 acutely ill people. The patient was found dead the following morning from an overdose of methadone, which the patient had smuggled into the hospital. The state of Georgia found there was not enough staff to carry out the doctor’s orders. 28

July 2004: UHS-owned Glen Oaks Hospital in Texas was issued a 90-day termination notice from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid when an unstable suicidal person was transferred to a different facility without being evaluated or stabilized, and without notifying the receiving facility or sending the patient’s records. 29

October 27, 2004: The Alaska State Medical Board revoked psychiatrist Michael Bernzott’s license. Bernzott engaged in unprofessional conduct by bringing a concealed handgun to a 1995 treatment meeting with a patient and staff at UHS’ North Star Hospital. He informed the patient that the weapon was loaded and allowed the patient to point the gun at staff members in the meeting before giving it back to Bernzott. 30

October 29, 2004: Parents filed a lawsuit against UHS’ Boulder Creek Academy (in Bonner’s Ferry, Idaho) claiming their child was neglected and abused. Among the allegations in the suit: In the late 1990s, a 16-year-old boy was forced to dig a grave, crawl into a coffin in the grave and have dirt thrown on it by staff members and a 16-year-old girl was called a “whore” and forced by staff members to wear a sign advertising oral sex. 31

November 2004: An Arkansas man, Joseph Rayner, was allowed to wander away from UHS’ BridgeWay in broad daylight and jump into oncoming traffic from a freeway overpass, where he was hit by an 18-wheeler and killed. 32

2004: At the UHS-owned Rockford Center in Delaware, state regulators found that the hospital failed to establish a system that would protect patients from abuse and that hospital staff used a “non-therapeutic unapproved escort method,” after a child complained that he/she had been “thrown to the floor” and forced to the seclusion room by an employee. The child had a fresh blood injury on the right side of his/her face and bruises around his/her eye. During the investigation, the state also found that the Rockford Center’s policy on financial exploitation and mistreatment did not conform to state law and the facility’s definition of abuse and neglect were too broad and lacked specificity. 33

2004: UHS-owned Anchor Hospital in Georgia, a patient died four days after being admitted after not receiving the proper treatment because his/her medical condition was not properly monitored. Doctor orders indicated that the patient was to have his/her blood pressure monitored and be given a potassium supplement medication to treat his/her Parkinson’s disease and hypertension. The patient made one trip to the emergency room because of an altered mental state and low potassium. S/he was sent back to the hospital with instructions that her potassium levels and blood pressure needed to be closely watched. The patient’s blood pressure was very low, but there was no documentation on the patient’s chart that the nurse or physician were notified or that a reassessment of treatment was done. The person became incontinent and was drooling excessively and drowsy in a wheelchair, but no reassessment of the patient’s condition was performed. The investigation done by the State of Georgia found critical patient care information missing from this patient’s medical records, as well as from the medical records of other patients who had been transferred from Anchor Hospital to the emergency room. 34

2004: In the Psychiatric Center at UHS-owned McAllen Heart Hospital in Texas, a patient died three days after falling at the facility. An investigation found that, although the doctor had noted in the patient’s record that the person seemed “confused,” and a nurse noted that a new medication made the person “drowsy,” no assessment for fall precautions had been done for the patient, and no fall precautions were in place to protect the patient. 35

2004: A 14-year-old was admitted to UHS-owned Spring Mountain Treatment Center in Nevada. The child was put in seclusion, during which she defecated on the floor of the seclusion room. The child resident told the state investigators that she had repeatedly requested to be taken to the bathroom, but her requests had been ignored by staff. The investigators found no evidence the child was continuously monitored while she was in seclusion and the facility was cited for failing to provide adequate documentation to establish that treatment interventions were safe, proportionate and appropriate to the severity of the child’s behavior. In a separate incident, a 15-year-old female patient was restrained by five members of staff and forcibly administered Thorazine. There was no documentation that the parent’s of the resident were notified or that the staff or the patient were debriefed. 36

March 24, 2005: Haverhilll, Massachusetts parent Charles Sarao said his son, Joshua, was injured twice at UHS’ Westwood Lodge during restraints. The 14-year-old cut his knee during the first take-down. Mr. Sarao filed a report with Westwood police after his son said he was punched in the face during the second restraint. 37

July 27, 2005: Daniel Jeudin and Andre Currie, former counselors with UHS’ Westwood Lodge pleaded guilty to statutory rape, admitting they had sex with a 15-patient at the facility in the summer of 2001. Jeudin was sentenced to 2½ years, with one year to be spent in jail and the other 18 months suspended; Currie was sentenced to ten years probation. Both were required to register as sex offenders. 38

September 18, 2005: 14-year-old Linda Harris died at UHS’ Chad Youth Enhancement Center in rural Tennessee. Chad officials said that Harris, who was being escorted to a “time-out” room, “became limp and fell to the floor,” where Chad staffers then sat down next to her and held her arms behind her back as she lay on her stomach. A few minutes later they noticed that her breathing had slowed so called 911 and began CPR. However, paramedics arriving to resuscitate Harris found her with scraped elbows, blood in her mouth and in physical restraints. Sheriff’s investigator’s files, which contain the statements of other staffers as well as children who witnessed the restraint tell otherwise: In forcing Harris to spend the night in the time-out room, 260-lb. Chad staffer Charles Garner was “body slamming” the morbidly obese and asthmatic Harris on a mattress. She had been in the facility only four days. 39

September 2005: Tennessee’s Department of Children Services ceases placing children at UHS’ Chad Youth Enhancement Center following the death of Linda Harris. 40

September 2005: Investigators recommended that a 90-day termination process begin on UHS-owned McAllen Medical Center and Heart Hospital in Texas because a patient’s rights were violated when s/he did not receive the care s/he required. A patient was under doctor orders to be closely supervised, which means that the person needed to be checked every 15 minutes. These orders were not consistently carried out, and the person hanged him/herself. 41

October 28, 2005: Jose Miguel Yambo III, a former employee of UHS’ Chad Youth Enhancement Center in rural Tennessee, was charged with multiple rapes involving a minor female. He was suspended from his position at Chad on October 17, after the Department of Children’s Services notified the facility of their investigation. Yambo admitted to investigators he “finds young female juveniles attractive” but said the victim in question (who was not a Chad patient) the only one he “acted upon,” according to a document in his court file. 42

December 2005: Texas attorney Skip Simpson, who specializes in psychiatric suicide complaints, filed a suit on behalf of Alysia Ashley against UHS’ BridgeWay psychiatric facility in North Little Rock, Arkansas. Ashley was involuntarily admitted in late 2004 after a suicide attempt. She was given an admittance interview but was allowed to wander off afterward, at which time she took an overdose of her drugs and jumped from a freeway overpass. She survived but was severely injured. 43

2005: At UHS-owned McAllen Medical Center and Heart Hospital in Texas was cited for keeping a patient in restraints for two days without a doctor’s order. 44

March 2006: An 18-year-old patient committed suicide at UHS’ Westwood Lodge. He went to Westwood after slashing his wrists. Westwood personnel screened him and then put him in a room outfitted with a wall-mounted air register which the patient used to hang himself. 45

February 2006: 14-year-old Monique Payne died at UHS’ Westwood Lodge facility in Massachusetts. Payne, who had a brain tumor (which the hospital was aware of) began complaining of pressure in her head. She began vomiting and hyperventilating and begged for help. A Westwood nurse thought she was faking and gave her cold medicine. She was dead the next morning. 46

April 12, 2006: UHS Delaware, a subsidiary of Universal Health Services, agreed to reimburse Medicare almost $1.5 million to settle a civil probe involving overcharges at Turning Point Care Center, a Moultrie, GA substance abuse treatment center. The settlement was for non-reimbursable costs such as patient transportation, self-administered drugs and room and board for patients in a partial-hospitalization program run by Turning Point. 47

June 2006: At the UHS-owned Rockford Center in Delaware, a geriatric patient was unnecessarily placed in a mechanical restraints without a physician order and without documentation that less restrictive interventions were first tried. The patient developed bed sores while s/he was at the Rockford Center. Seven days passed from the date the bed sores were diagnosed before any care was provided for the bedsores and recorded in the nursing plan. There was no record of the patient’s progress or response to treatment of her bedsores. 48

July 13, 2006: The Connecticut Department of Children (DCF) and Families shut off admissions to UHS’ Stonington Institute over concerns about children’s safety and supervision. A spokesman for DCF stated that the agency closed admissions after receiving reports of a high number of children running away from the facility. 49

September 2006: An analysis of Boston Police Department incident reports found that between January 1, 2000 and September 17, 2006, police were dispatched to UHS’ Arbour Hospital 192 times for incidents including 16 missing persons reported; 28 assault and batteries; 5 forcible rapes; 2 suicide attempts and 2 sudden deaths. 50

November 22, 2006: A 15-year-old patient at the UHS’ Meadows Psychiatric Center committed suicide. Police said the teen hanged himself in a bathroom. 51

2006: At UHS-owned Rockford Center in Delaware, a patient was admitted with open wounds, but the care for those wounds was not included on the initial care plan for the patient. The plan was not updated for six days. As a result, the patient did not receive care for his/her wounds, including medication that was prescribed by a doctor during those six days. 52

2006: At UHS-owned Rockford Center in Delaware, a patient was diagnosed with bedsores and 7 days passed from the date of diagnosis without any record of care of the bedsores in the nursing plan. There was no record of the patient’s progress or response to treatment of his/her bedsores. 53

2007: The Service Employees International Union, Local 1107 (Las Vegas, NV) issued an undated report, “Failure to Care: A National Report on Universal Health Services’ Behavioral Health Operations” which calls attention to the various adverse manifestations of UHS’ “profits before patients” business model, including sexual exploitation and abuse, runaways, inappropriate reliance on restraints and seclusion and physical assaults. 54

January 16, 2007: Filing of Crawford v. Charter Pines Behavioral Health, a personal injury Medical Malpractice suit file for wrongful death. Universal Health Services and three of its subsidiaries are also named as defendants. Case is still active as of May 2008. 55

March-April 2007: Paul Zani, chief executive officer of UHS’ Pembroke Hospital resigned in early April as the hospital agreed to cap its admissions amid several state investigations into the private psychiatric facility. Unannounced visits by the Department of Mental Health on March 27 and 29 prompted concerns about the adequacy of staff supervision, finding that staff training was insufficient and that the hospital has the staffing capacity for only 70 percent of its beds. The Department of Social Services also conducted three investigations based on reports of neglect or abuse filed in late January and early February concerning alleged episodes in the girls' adolescent unit. 56

May 21, 2007: Settlement of Satterthwaite v USA, Universal Health Services, et al, a case brought by the widow of Dennis Satterthwaite, alleging negligence and other failures on the part of a nurse and psychiatrist at Massachusetts’ Westwood Lodge psychiatric facility (owned by UHS) resulting in Dennis Satterthwaite’s death. 57

June 2, 2007: 17-year-old Omega Leach died at UHS’ Chad Youth Enhancement center in rural Tennessee. State medical examiner Bruce P. Levy found Leach died of strangulation after being restrained, citing “multiple hemorrhages” of his neck muscles. His death was ruled a homicide. 58

June 18, 2007: Verdict of $1,075,218.45 for plaintiff in the case of U.S. Department of Labor v. Universal Health Services. This suit was filed against UHS’ Stonington Institute, a Connecticut drug/alcohol treatment facility that the Department of Labor charged with working employees in excess of 40 hours per week but failing to pay them minimum wage or time-and-a-half for their overtime, in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. 59

June 19, 2007: The Tennessee Department of Mental Health placed UHS’ Chad Youth Enhancement Center on a 120-day admissions freeze, following June 2 death of Omega Leach. 60

July 17, 2007: Just prior to jury selection, UHS’ BridgeWay Hospital paid a last-minute settlement to avoid trial on Alysia Ashley’s claims that the facility failed to prevent her from leaving the facility and attempting suicide by jumping off a nearby bridge. While the amount of the settlement is confidential and the hospital made no admission of negligence, plaintiff’s attorney Skip Simpson stated, “They might not be admitting liability, but they all admitted this should not have happened. Rogers (Paul Rogers, defendant hospital employee) said he was wrong and he didn’t blame Ms. Ashley.” 61

July 22, 2007: Amerigroup, a Tennessee state HMO plan, removed all five of the children it was covering for treatment at UHS’ Chad Youth Enhancement Center in rural Tennessee, following the strangulation homicide of 17-year-old Omega Leach at the hands of Chad employees. 62

August 5, 2007: A Philadelphia, Pennsylvania family court judge ordered six Philadelphia children discharged from UHS’ Chad Youth Enhancement Center in rural Tennessee (the teens were sent there as no Philadelphia facility would admit them) following the June 2007 strangulation homicide of 17-year-old Philadelphian Omega Leach by Chad employees. 63

October 2007: Texas attorney Skip Simpson, who specializes in psychiatric suicide complaints, filed a suit on behalf of Anne Millar against UHS’ BridgeWay psychiatric facility in North Littlerock, Arkansas. Millar’s husband John was admitted to the facility after admitting to his wife of being suicidal, stating that he was going to “blow his head off.” BridgeWay released him 24 hours later and, while under home suicide watch, he managed to get out of the house and shoot himself in the head. 64

October 25, 2007: A Massachusetts jury awarded $1,848,000 to the estate of Rose Okoro on the determination that UHS’ Arbour Hospital and Arbour psychiatrist Donna Orvin were responsible for failing to prevent her suicide. 40-year-old Okoro, who was admitted September 16, 1998 to Arbour with psychosis and suicidal tendencies, hanged herself from an exposed shower sprinkler the following day. The plaintiff’s claimed that by not ordering 15-minute suicide checks on Okoro, Arbour & Orvin thus failed to prevent her suicide. 65

January 17, 2008: Attorney Skip Simpson filed the civil complaint McCoy v. Universal Health Service, The Bridgeway Inc., et al. for professional negligence, negligent hiring and retention and other causes. The suit, filed in Pulaski County, Arkansas states that UHS, Bridgeway (a UHS-owned psychiatric facility) and/or the physician that referred the plaintiff to Bridgeway for outpatient substance abuse treatment, should have been aware that the drug counselor assigned to the plaintiff had a violent criminal background, including prison time; that he gained his counseling “skills” while imprisoned for aggravated robbery and that his past criminal conduct would subject the plaintiff to unreasonable risk of harm. It further alleges that the counselor, exploiting the plaintiff’s expressed vulnerabilities, engaged the plaintiff in sexual relations in the course of his employment at Bridgeway.66

- - - - -
CALLS FOR SERVICE

“Calls for service” is a term for when the police/sheriff are called to a particular address or location to respond to a complaint. The following is a random sample of calls to UHS facilities in recent years.

Between January 1, 2003 and January 12, 2008, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department received 424 calls for service from UHS’ Broad Horizons facility in Ramona, California. Among the reasons for the calls was 27 batteries, 7 assaults, 10 suicides (actual or attempted) and 181 runaway juveniles.

From January 1, 2003 to January 18, 2008, the Anchorage Police Department received 230 calls for service from UHS’ North Star Residential Treatment Center. Among the reasons for the calls was 29 assaults, 12 sexual assaults (include two involving minors), 25 runaway juveniles and 4 suicide attempt/threats.

Between Mary 26, 2005 and January 14, 2008 the Sherman Police Department (Texas) received 272 calls for service from UHS’ Texoma Behavioral Health Center. Among them is one death.

From January 3, 2000 to December 28, 2006 the Casper Police Department received 622 calls for service from UHS’ Wyoming Behavioral Institute, including 115 assaults, 6 suicide-related calls, 8 sex offenses and 17 runaway juveniles.

From January 2001 to January 2008, the Provo Police Department (Utah) received 143 calls for service from the UHS’ Provo Canyon School, including 4 child abuses, 35 runaway juveniles, 15 assaults, 2 forcible sexual abuses, 1 forcible sodomy and 1 sexual abuse of a child.

From October 2000 to December 18, 2007, the South Salt Lake Police Department received 77 calls for service from UHS’ Cottonwood Treatment Center, including 19 assaults and 6 sex offenses.

Between 2003 and 2007, the Aiken (South Carolina) Police received 174 calls for service from UHS’ Aurora Pavillion Behavioral Health Services, including 11 missing persons/runaway juveniles, 5 suicide attempts and 28 “disturbances.”

From October 29, 2005 to December 6, 2007 the North Little Rock (Arkansas) Police received 138 calls for service, including 4 rapes/sexual assaults, 4 assault/batteries, 8 runaway/missing persons and 15 “disturbance/altercations.”

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Santorum & Sandusky
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
From the blog piece by droregano, "Child-Abuse Rings: are Romney and Santorum Connected?," posted above by Reddit TroubledTeens, emphasis added:

The tobacco "family" candidate

Would a real family candidate be a promoter of big tobacco? Not hardly. Investigations into his lobbyist connections found that Santorum's second-highest total came from the Altria Group, the newer face for Philip Morris Companies and U.S. Tobacco. The makers of Marlboro cigarettes and Skoal tobacco have spent some 100,000 in PAC funds to advance Santorum's political career.

It was Santorum when as a member of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, who opposed increased restrictions on the tobacco industry and was largely responsible for killing the 1998 Universal Tobacco Settlement Act.

The bill aimed to "prevent the use of tobacco products by minors" and to "redress the adverse health effects of tobacco use." It also would have incorporated a settlement requiring the industry to pay billions of dollars to state governments. After Congress failed to pass it, a narrower settlement was reached between the tobacco companies and state attorneys general.

Through this action Santorum has damaged the family infrastructure by giving free reign for tobacco companies to do endless harm to the youth. How much did he get paid for that? He's a family candidate, alright, when it comes to soliciting votes.[/list][/size]
    Regarding the "altruistic" Altria Group, see this website: Altria Means Tobacco. And... here's a 2003 article from the American Journal of Public Health: Altria Means Tobacco: Philip Morris's Identity Crisis

Another program intimately connected to the tobacco industry is Hyde School. Nancy Lund, "the key steward of the Marlboro brand for more than two decades" and Altria Client Services' Senior Vice President of Marketing is also ... a former Hyde parent and on Hyde's Board of Governors.

And Lund is and has been, also, a very generous contributor to Hyde's coffers. Gotta wonder 'bout those matching employer contributions, eh? :D  Especially given that the employer is actively seeking to cultivate a new image along with their name change, via an aggressive campaign of "philanthropy"...

More details in the following thread, about one of Hyde's (many) marketing projects originated in part by Nancy Lund and the global marketing firm Leo Burnett Worldwide, Inc., Leo Burnett himself having played a significant role in the creation of the Marlboro man:

Incidentally, re. Santorum's activities as a member of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry in opposing increased restrictions on the tobacco industry, and having no small hand in killing the 1998 Universal Tobacco Settlement Act (a bill ostensibly aimed in part to "prevent the use of tobacco products by minors"): out of all the tobacco companies then in existence, it was Altria Group, then known as Philip Morris, who was perceived as being perhaps most responsible for marketing to minors.
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: AltriaMeansTobacco.com
    « Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
    Quote from: "Ursus"
    Regarding the "altruistic" Altria Group, see this website: Altria Means Tobacco. And... here's a 2003 article from the American Journal of Public Health: Altria Means Tobacco: Philip Morris's Identity Crisis
    Wow. I hadn't been to the AltriaMeansTobacco.com website in a coupla years and since I posted a link, I felt compelled to confirm it.

It appears that it has been taken over by some French marketing endeavor?

Here is what that website had on its homepage in 2009, archived here in the Only @ Hyde thread:

Altria Means Tobacco

In 2003, Philip Morris Companies officially changed its name to the Altria Group, Inc.. The REAL reasons for this change: to hide the "taint" of tobacco and restore a corporate image.

As researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, we studied Philip Morris's own internal company documents to learn more about why this change was planned and undertaken. Our findings were published in the American Journal of Public Health (April, 2003, Vol. 93, #4). Although Philip Morris had already purchased the rights to the URLs altriasucks.com and altriakills.com, altriameanstobacco.com is here to help other researchers, community activists, and the public develop counterstrategies in the face of this Philip Morris/Altria public relations ploy.

For more than a decade, Philip Morris planned this renaming and restructuring in order to distance itself from the ever-increasing liability of selling tobacco, a product that kills more than a third of its long-term users. As part of this strategy, Philip Morris hopes to be perceived as an outstanding corporate citizen by increasing its philanthropy under the name of Altria. But don't be deceived. Don't allow Philip Morris to win by corporate sleight of hand. Accepting gifts from Altria is the same thing as accepting gifts from Philip Morris: it allows the company to buy legitimacy and respectability while ignoring its starring role in the deaths of millions worldwide every year-over 400,000 in the United States alone.

Philip Morris/Altria also now claims it is trying to be "responsible" by acknowledging on its website that cigarettes are addictive and dangerous—ending decades of denial. A genuinely responsible company, faced with its role in the deaths of millions, would—at minimum—stop marketing this addictive product that would not be allowed on the market if introduced today.[/list][/size]
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Goddess of Justice

• View Profile
        • http://teendeathtrips.blogspot.com/
      « Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »
      Quote from: "Reddit TroubledTeens"
      "I wanted to Skype to see her," Dunning says. San Marcos rejected her request, citing privacy laws. "I said I can waive that because she's my child. Nope, they wouldn't do it."
      Privacy laws my @$$! They're just doing what they do best, cover-ups. I don't know of any so I'm betting they just pulled that right out of their ass. I know people who've skyped from their hospital beds, NO EXCUSE!
      For owners of such programs, we celebrate your lives being destroyed. Because you destroyed theirs...