Author Topic: Teens in Custody Following Riot at Care Center  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teens in Custody Following Riot at Care Center
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=117565

October 11th, 2005 @ 9:37pm
Samantha Hayes Reporting

A place for troubled teens is the focus of an investigation tonight, following a riot that broke out there over the weekend. Six teens are now in police custody and there is a lot of damage to the facility.

The officers who were at the Cottonwood Youth Academy first at 11pm Saturday say it was a riot, and the situation was chaotic. South Salt Lake called for help from other police departments. We wanted to know if there was any indication of problems at the facility before this weekend, here's what we found out.

The Department of Child and Family services licensed the Cottonwood Youth Academy. Three weeks ago Ken Stettler got a call from a staff member who no longer works there.

Ken Stettler, Director of Licensing: "The concern was these were kids who were difficult to handle and she didn't know if the staff was completely qualified to handle them properly."

Stettler says his department started investigating Cottonwood Youth Academy after that complaint.

Ken Stettler: "She noted issues of clients in areas they were not supposed to be in so we have to look at that as well."

Now they have even more to investigate.

Capt. Chris Snyder, South Salt Lake Police Dept.: "The call came in as pretty chaotic, actually came in as a riot."

Saturday night police say some residents at the academy assaulted another resident. When the staff tried to intervene, residents assaulted the staff.

Chris Snyder: "Extreme property damage, holes in the walls, ceiling tiles punched out, a window was broken."

Police arrested six teenagers, no one was seriously hurt.

Captain Chris Snyder, South Salt Lake Police: "Our concern, obviously, is that they are adequately staffed and able to handle these situations in the future."

That's one area the state says it will investigate immediately; the consequences depend on what it finds out.

Ken Stettler, Office of Licensing: "Anywhere from a corrective plan, all the way to revocation of their license if it is that serious."

The Cottonwood Youth Academy would not comment on the investigation or what happened there over the weekend.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
Here we go again... three knocked back into their holes, twenty (RTC's) crop up.  :roll:

This must be a common building design, but honestly, I've only seen it at the old LIFE building and medical clinics http://www.cottonwoodacademy.com/

And WTF is THIS?!  http://www.cottonwoodacademy.com/neuronal.htm

"Neuronal Technology? goes beyond the traditional medical-clinical model.  It enhances Cottonwood?s cutting edge and individually paced educational and vocational programming.  Neuronal Technology TM  includes nutritional planning following specialized screening in order to restore homeostasis and neurological imbalances."

Are we back to sugar and red food dye causing ADD and other mysterious perceived maladies?

and... PROGRAMMING?  Although veiled, at least they're following the first and most important rule

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, because I switched gears and did not go to grad school after getting my degree in psychology with an emphasis on neuroscience (there, I pulled the degree card), but I can tell you from the four years I spent studying everything from autism (no, vaccines don't cause it) to homosexuality (yes, it is biology) that all the diet manipulation in the universe isn't going to change the way neurotransmitters work on a large scale.  Yes, MSG will give susceptible people a headache, but it will not make them psychotic.

Besides, an inconvenienced parent does not cause a neurochemically challenged child!

/end rant - but that pisses me off.

Where are we going, and what are we doing in this handbasket??[ This Message was edited by: Helena Handbasket on 2005-10-13 12:01 ]
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: Teens in Custody Following Riot at Care Center
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
State Investigators Looking At Youth Treatment Facility
by Samantha Hayes, KSL,October 12th - 2005

State investigators are looking into a youth treatment facility after a riot broke out over the weekend. The city where the center operates is also taking action.

At the South Salt Lake city council meeting tonight, the mayor says he was apprehensive from the beginning when the Cottonwood Youth Academy applied for its business license. He says current city zoning ordinances prevented the council from saying no. Now, he wants to change that.

When three police departments, including South Salt Lake, broke up a riot inside the Cottonwood Youth Academy, Mayor Wes Losser had heard enough.

Wes Losser, Mayor of South Salt Lake: “The second time we've had an incident and they haven't complied. And it was like the police reported they couldn't tell the difference between the kids and the staff out there because there was yelling back and forth, and it was totally out of control."

Losser says the police have been called to the facility a few times before.

Wes Losser, Mayor of South Salt Lake: “One of the kids escaped from the facility ran through people's yards being chased by staff."

Cottonwood Youth Academy refused to comment Tuesday when Eyewitness News reported the story. A follow-up call was not returned.

City council members are considering a change to zoning laws. As it stands now, the Cottonwood Youth Academy falls under the definition of a "school."

Wes Losser, Mayor of South Salt Lake: “As a city, we are concerned and from the very beginning I never thought this was a good idea to have them in our city."

On its website, the Cottonwood Youth Academy defines itself as a 70 bed educational residential treatment facility for adolescents who may struggle with fetal alcohol disorders, mental health disorders, and behavioral problems.

State investigators are examining staff qualifications and the backgrounds of the teenagers.

Wes Losser, Mayor of South Salt Lake: “Also, the staff wasn't cooperative with our police department, and again this last incident..they were not cooperative either."

The state began its investigation a few weeks ago, after a complaint by a former treatment center staff member.