Author Topic: Girl dies at Divine Guidance Integrative Services, March2011  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Reddit TroubledTeens

• View Profile
    • http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens
Girl dies at Divine Guidance Integrative Services, March2011
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »
So tragic, and quite possibly preventable. Both staff and the girl's mother thought she was faking. She might be alive today if had they taken her to the hospital three days before she died, as she and other inmates requested.

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2011/mar/30/1 ... ar-904291/

Neighbors Report Weekly Yelling From Suspended Group Home

[VIDEO] http://http://www2.wnct.com/news/2011/mar/30/neighbors-report-weekly-yelling-from-sus-26880-vi-30806/
Neighbors Report Weekly Yelling From Suspended Group Home (Added: March 30, 2011)
GREENVILLE, N.C. - State regulators took swift action against a mental health facility in Greenville late Wednesday. (more)
0 Ratings | 64 Video Views
Post a Comment or Rate this Video
» View More Videos

Related
Police investigate after teen found dead at group home

Credit: Greene County
Streeter was taken to the Pitt County Medical Examiner’s office for an autopsy.

GREENVILLE, N.C. - State regulators took swift action against a mental health...

By: Jim Niedelman , WNCT Staff | WNCT
Published: March 30, 2011
Updated: March 30, 2011 - 10:59 PM
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment

GREENVILLE, N.C. - State regulators took swift action against a mental health facility in Greenville late Wednesday.

The Department of Health and Human Services shut down one of the locations of the Divine Guidance Integrative Services after the death of a 16-year-old girl there on Monday.

Owner Jeff Ward clears out the last of the children staying at the Divine Guidance group home on Forest Hill Circle.  He declined an on-camera interview.  Ward tells Nine On Your Side the suspension of his facility's license is “understandable.”

Health and Human Services went so far to say the conditions there "present an imminent danger" to clients after 16-year-old Dysheka Streeter died.  Neighbors say disturbances were common.

"I've seen a girl, actually she was drug out against her will out of the house," said next door neighbor Brian Maloney.

"Once they moved in and the yard started becoming trashy and they'd come outside and there would be kids yelling and screaming at one another,” said neighbor Tara Satterthwaite.  “It was just, it wasn't all that great."

Divine Guidance once ran three group homes in Greenville.  The owner closed down one on his own earlier.  This forced shutdown leaves just one facility open. Health and Human Services Records show some problems in the past.

Not with the home on forest hill.  Annual reviews found "standard level deficiencies" there.  However, the remaining home less than a mile away had two violations last year.  One was a Type A violation for its assessment and treatment plan that the state says could have been deadly or lead to other serious consequences.  The other was a Type B violation for medication requirements.

Health and Human Services says suspensions like this are rare.  It issues about five or six a year out of more than 3,400 licensed facilities.

The facility has 60 days to file an appeal of the suspension.  Owner Jeff Ward says he doesn't know if he will petition the ruling.  Ward says he's overwhelmed by what happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---Prior Story---

GREENVILLE, N.C. - A 16-year-old girl was found dead at a group home in Greenville, and tonight the state has shut that home down.

The home is one of more than 3,000 homes for mentally ill or disturbed children in the state.

Late today in a letter, the state ordered license holder Jeff Ward to close the Divine Guidance Integrated Services 3 home.

The letter says his facility must shut down as soon as they can make arrangements for the five children who are still living at the facility.

On Monday an employee at the six-bed facility found a Snow Hill teenager unresponsive and called 911.

The victim was 16-year-old Dysheka Streeter.  She died at the scene and both police and the state Department of Health and Human Services are investigating. Streeter had been living at the home for about a week.

In January, Streeter was arrested and charged with stealing her teachers ATM card at Greene Central High School.  According to police, she used the card to purchase a cell phone.

Since 2007, the state has issued more than six violations on three group homes owned by Ward.

In one case, the report says the conditions at two of the homes could have resulted in death or serious harm.

The state's order only affects the Forest Hill Circle home where the incident occurred, Ward still holds a valid license on the other two facilities.

The state said on average they only suspend or revoke about five licenses per year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Previous story--

GREENVILLE, N.C. - A group home has been shut down following a teen's death.

A summary suspension of license to operate was hand delivered to the licensee of Divine Guidance Integrated Services group home in Greenville Wednesday afternoon.

16-year-old Dysheka Streeter was found dead at the home Monday.

Staff from the Mental Health Licensure and Certification Section of the Division of Health Service Regulation will remain on site and continue the investigation.

Further details regarding the findings of state investigators won't be available until the investigation is complete and a final report has been written.

Nine On Your Side's Sasha Horne will have more tonight at 6 on Eyewitness News 9.

--- Original Story ---

A 16-year-old girl was found dead by a group home worker at the Divine Guidance Integrated Services group home in Greenville on Monday.

Employees called EMS and police and when they arrived, they found Dysheka Streeter dead.  She was taken to the Pitt County Medical Examiner’s office for an autopsy.

Greenville Police spokesperson Sergeant Carlton Williams said the fact that a 16-year-old was found dead, whether it was a criminal act or not is suspicious, so the Greenville Police are investigating.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:36:25 PM by Reddit TroubledTeens »

• View Profile
Re: Girl dies at Divine Guidance Integrative Services, March
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:43:56 PM »
http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/Poli ... ml?ref=894

Updated: 11:51 PM Jul 12, 2011

State Fines Group Home Where Girl Died

An investigation says staff at the Greenville group home ignored concerns that Dysheka Streeter should have gone to the hospital three days before the 16-year-old was found dead.
Posted: 9:37 AM Jul 12, 2011
Click here to read state's closure order -- http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Cl ... +order.pdf
State regulators have fined the operators of a Greenville group home where a teen died back in March, saying they failed to provide proper care. An investigation says staff ignored concerns that Dysheka Streeter should have gone to the hospital three days before the 16-year-old was found dead.

The Medical Examiner says Streeter died because of blood clots in her lungs. The Snow Hill girl was found dead in the Forest Hill Circle home which was operated by Divine Guidance Integrated Services.

WITN News has learned that the Division of Health Service Regulation has fined Divine a total of $11,000 on two separate violations. The state investigation shows that three days before being found dead, Streeter had complained about pains in her side. A resident told investigators the girl was in so much pain that she could not go downstairs.

Another resident said when she told staff members about Streeter's condition and that she needed to go to the hospital, one said their van had no gasoline, and when the victim asked another staffer about calling EMS for Streeter that staffer said: "...Girl, do you know how much EMS cost..."

The report says Streeter continued to complain about the pain throughout the weekend and then on Sunday afternoon another resident says the owner came to the home after being told the girl had chest pains. The resident told investigators the owner heard Streeter breathing hard but did not hear him ask if she needed to go to the hospital. Streeter was found dead the next morning.

The state also says employees at the home were not up-to-date on training in basic first aid or CPR techniques, as required by state regulations.

The state says Divine Guidance operated a total of three group homes in Greenville at the time of the girl's death. They turned in their licenses for the Forest Hill Circle home and another location on South Warren Street, but still operate a four-bed facility on Dusk Court.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Story

The 16-year-old who died at a group home in Greenville in March passed away from natural causes, according to the report issued by the Medical Examiner. Police at one time investigated the death of Dysheka Streeter as suspicious.

Streeter died of bilateral pulmonary thromboemboli with acute infarct of the left lung, which the Medical Examiner's office explains means Streeter had blood clots in her lungs, and a clot in the left lung that stopped the flow of blood. The report also listed the contributing factors of having an enlarged heart and morbid obesity.

Streeter, who was from Snow Hill, was found dead in the Forest Hill Circle group home which was operated by Divine Guidance Integrated Services. Shortly after Streeter's death, state officials said conditions at the home presented a danger to the clients. They moved the residents out and closed the home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Story

Greenville police say the death of a 16-year-old girl at a group home on Monday is now "suspicious".

Dyskeha Streeter was found dead in the Forest Hill Circle group home which was operated by Divine Guidance Integrated Services.

While the cause of death for Streeter still isn't known, state officials say conditions at the home presented a danger to the clients. On Wednesday they ordered the home closed and other clients moved out.

Since the first of the year there have been three police calls to the Forest Hill Circle location. On January 19th there was a call for a sexual assault, on March 14 police assisted EMS at the home and then on Monday for the girl's death.

Greenville police say that January sexual assault call was unfounded.

Previous Story

WITN was first to tell you about the death of 16-year-old Dyskeha Streeter and the action by the state Wednesday against Divine Guidance Integrated Services group home in Greenville.

While the cause of death for Streeter still isn't known, state officials say conditions at the home presented a danger to the clients, raising questions for neighbors.

What exactly happened at the group home where 16-year-old Dysheka Streeter was found dead Monday is unclear, but it has neighbors curious.

"I feel weary that someone has died next door now i would have like to be aware of the circumstances," said neighbor Preston Batan.

Greenville police and state officials are investigating those circumstances. For now, the state has suspended the home's license and shut it down.

The state Division of Health Service Regulation says conditions at the group home "present an imminent danger to the health, safety and welfare of the clients and that emergency action is required to protect the clients."

The home also faces possible fines and has 60 days to file an appeal.

The medical examiner says the cause of death is pending until toxicology results.

North Carolina has about 3,455 group homes with just over 16,000 beds for children or adolescents- in the past year only 5 or 6 have been closed.

Previous Story

The group home where a teenager died Monday has had its license suspended and ordered closed by state regulators.

Family members say 16-year-old Dysheka Streeter of Snow Hill died Monday while staying at Divine Guidance Integrated Services.

The state Division of Health Service Regulation this afternoon ordered the company to close its Forest Hill Circle location by 5:00 p.m. or when the last client is placed at a new location.

The state says conditions at the group home "present an imminent danger to the health, safety and welfare of the clients and that emergency action is required to protect the clients."

To view the state's closure order, click the link at the top of the story.

The home is licensed for six residents and it has 60 days to file an appeal of today's order. Health and Human Services spokesman Jim Jones says it is not very common for them to shut down a group home, but it is done when clients safety is in jeopardy.

Greenville police say they are investigating the child's death as well.

Previous Story

Greenville police and state regulators say they're investigating the death of a teenager at a state-licensed group home.

Family members identify the girl as 16-year-old Dysheka Streeter of Snow Hill. Court records show the girl was arrested earlier this year on charges she stole a teacher's credit card at Greene Central High School.

Her family says the teen was placed with Divine Guidance Integrated Services last week and she was found dead early Monday morning.

The Medical Examiner's Office says Streeter's cause of death is pending the results of toxicology reports.

A cousin tells WITN, "On Saturday she called her mom complaining of a headache and a side ache and her chest aching and she was going to call her mom back on Sunday and her mom never heard from her."

Carlton Williams with Greenville Police says, at this point, there's nothing to indicate a crime was committed. "The age alone would be enough to make it suspicious but not suspicious in a criminal manor just the fact that she was 16-years-old and now deceased."

A North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services spokesman tells WITN News that staff from their Mental Health Licensure and Certification Section are at the site today investigating the death as well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:08:58 PM by Reddit TroubledTeens »

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »
Comments (part one)

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.

by Auntie Location: Kinston on Jul 13, 2011 at 08:10 AM
    As a family member of this young lady, I know she had issues, who doesn't? So to all of you who are blaming her parents you are sooooo wrong. They did all they could for her. Please stop being so judgemental when you don't know the facts of the matter. Secondly, I really wish that the media would just let this incident go, the parents of this child are still suffering from her loss and to see this all over again isn't helping.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by you dont know on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    if youve never run a group home, you dont even know what youre talking about. i cant tell you how many times someone fAKES illness or pain just to get out of doing something, get extra attention, etc.. we cant know what this girl was doing--hindsight is always 20-20, right! i suppose now we should take every little ailment to the emergency room--that will keep the place packed, do you know the ER seems to treat these things as unimportant as well? seriously, ive had suicidal people sent home..wonder if that would be my fault or the hospitals?? i dont know this girls situation at all--cant judge it cause i didnt live with her--but please know that just because we dont give in to the every whim of someone it doesnt make us ogres. its a hard job and most people would not do it.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by foster Mom
on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM in reply to you dont know
        Use good judgement for one! Always assume they ARE sick! Better SAFE THEN SORRY!!! OBVIOUSLY. It is not like YOUR PAYING THE BILL!
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by you dont
know on Jul 13, 2011 at 04:33 PM in reply to foster Mom
            i mentioned nothing about money. im just saying, if this girl had the inclination to complain of aches and pains all the time and they always checked out every other time, i can SEE why they wouldnt take her to the ER. of course we dont know that part--i dont know about the girl at all, but if youve worked with this population, people are attention starved and sympathy starved--and VERY manipulative. which is understandable, but its also impossible to meet every demand. like i said before, even the ER catches on and starts sending folks home. its a hard job. im assuming you are a foster mom? thats a hard job too--but i work with adults, not kids, its a WHOLE different ball game.
            Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Family Planning? on Jul 12, 2011 at 08:15 PM
    So, you have a baby. You fail to raise and provide for it properly. It runs amuck. Now the taxpayer has to help house and feed the child? And you expect others to care? I sure don't! If it were my kid, I'd cut my arm off to support my child! Take responsibility for your actions.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Auntie
on Jul 13, 2011 at 08:11 AM in reply to Family Planning?
        This child was well taken care of. She had all she needed and most of what she wanted. No one failed to raise her, she had mental health issues. Believe you me, her parents did all they could for her. Please keep your negative comments to yourself.
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM in reply to Auntie
            To Auntie - I assume you are talking about my comment. I was referring to ANYONE that failed her and not necessarily her parents. Don't you believe that the facility she was being housed in failed her? I do. There are many reasons these kids end up in DSS care. My sympathies to you and your family. I am on your side...not against you.
            Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by sounds like it
on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM in reply to
                there is a difference between mental health issues and 'running amok'. hopefully you never have to deal with this yourself..no one asks you to care, why would you read this and post such a thing if you didnt care? and as someone who has experience with group homes, there certainly are those who truly fail people--but in some cases, 'failing' someone would mean you didnt follow them around and hold their hand while they slept. i hate it, but sometimes personal responsibility comes into play, even when that person is mentally ill. it sounds as if this girl has been failed by her care workers, but at the same time, we dont know what she was like in her home--why DID they fail to get her help? was this something she did all the time to get out of doing chores? or were the workers really that negligent?
                [ Report Abuse ]

by King Location: Ill WIll on Jul 12, 2011 at 06:56 PM
    R.I.P Dysheka Streeter I know you in a better place now.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by rl Location: bear grass on Jul 12, 2011 at 06:33 PM
    GRANT money at its best
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Mom Location: NC on Jul 12, 2011 at 06:17 PM
    I am a foster Mom. Life is rough for kids in normal life/home situations. Imagine living in a facility. These children need people to care more than ever even when they seem really unlovable. There is no excuse for one trained person not to have noticed this child needed help let alone several trained staff. MORE ADULTS THAT FAILED HER.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous on Jul 12, 2011 at 06:08 PM
    Sounds like a cover up.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Resident Location: Greenville on Jul 12, 2011 at 06:01 PM
    Regardless of the licensing for this facility whether for children with behavior problems or low functioning individuals, any home as these have staff who are suppose to be schooled in caring for the clients needs. I am told in these homes that are run by a larger company the staff are sometimes not paid as well so money may go back to the top. You get what you pay for, right? I am aware of only one group home in this area that far surpasses all others and it is a not for profit, Pitt County Group Homes. Staff are seen as the most important asset to the clients. So there are good homes out there. Even here in Pitt Co.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Do What on Jul 12, 2011 at 03:25 PM
    What I think is suspicious is sudden change of the cause of death.I hope that this young lady's family get an outside investigation.Don't believe nothing these lying ppl say.The state of North Carolina have a whole lot of dirty deeds to pay for.This girl was human,too.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Vickie Location: Grimesland on Jul 12, 2011 at 02:50 PM
    Isn't the GROUP home for troubled teens? Do you think they should live in mansions? If so,offer yours up!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by truth
on Jul 12, 2011 at 02:07 PM
    Jeff Ward and any group home home associated with him should be shut down
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Jae Location: Greenville on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    So sad to hear about the passing of this teenager. I am keeping her family in prayer. I myself was diagnosed with Pulmonary Emboli in both lungs. Luckily, being in the medical field, it was detected earlier enough to start therapeutic Coumadin,.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by friend of family Location: greenevillr on Apr 7, 2011 at 01:50 PM
    Rest-In-Peace baby girl my heart goes out to your family.....You will be miss
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Ex employee.i reported them!!!!!!!!!!! Location: --- on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    I worked for Jeff Ward @ Divine Guidance...that place is a hell hole.i had to buy food for the clients just to make it through my shift.employees would steal the meats leave the children with nothing..my first week my coworker and i called the manager about the situation and she told us not to call her anymore about food.i reported them and nothing happened :(
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Ex employee.i reported them!!!!!!!!!!!
    I worked for Jeff Ward @ Divine Guidance...that place is a hell hole.i had to buy food for the clients just to make it through my shift.employees would steal the meats leave the children with nothing..my first week my coworker and i called the manager about the situation and she told us not to call her anymore about food.i reported them and nothing happened :(
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Psst! Location: ENC on Apr 2, 2011 at 05:45 PM
    This same owner had a group home in my neighborhood..... until they could not keep the kids in. On two different occasions, I had kids who had 'escaped' come to my front door. Each time.... the group home staff were unwilling to come get the kids, but instead, told me they had an hour to return before they would look for them. Rules? Yeah right. The kids would be allowed to wait for the bus next to my house, where they would smoke(not allowed) and throw their trash everywhere. While the staff should have waited with them, they were never around. The so called 'professional, caring' owner... rarely was seen coming to the house. There were multiple complaints to the GPD involving the home. Eventually, they left the home.... although I have no idea why. Don't be duped by someone who sounds good!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Fact Bringer Location: Greenville on Apr 1, 2011 at 06:18 PM
    Bruce- group homes are part of out-of-home placements ordered by the court in circumstances where children are in danger or pose a danger; but usually these are court ordered after outpatient and in-the-home type (visiting professional) services have not been successful. For most residents there is a combination of circumstances involved, and Medicaid requires that all other avenues be attempted first.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Genuinely Concerned
    Well i would like to say that God knows all. My prayers go out ot the family and all people involved. However, i would like to state that if the people who run the group homes would get more involved, stop trying to cut corners and actually train their staff appropriately situations such as this one could be avoided. The parents apparently did there part in seeking help from an outside source to ensure that their child could receive the help she needed but the system failed her. Check out all the group homes here and i guarantee 80% of them are not up to code and the kids are not getting better or showing progress they are worse! Its all another way to milk medicaid.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Profit
on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM in reply to Genuinely Concerned
        Group home owners, just like private prison owners/corporations, are set up to max out profit and take as much taxpayer money as possible. They do not care about anything else, especially the residents.
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Bruce the Shark Location: Greenville on Mar 31, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    Could someone help me here. What are the reasons that we have group homes? What do these young children have to do to be ordered there by the courts? I did not know that we had so many in Greenville. How do you know if there is one by your house?
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Jul 12, 2011 at 02:56 PM in reply to Bruce the Shark
        I have to wonder how many of those commandments you break on a daily basis.
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by caring Location: greenville on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    Just want to send prayers to ALL involved in this situation. Mostly to the family who has lost their precious child. No matter what problems there are (and there are many!) with this whole mental health and group home situation...I do not believe that anyone was PURPOSEFULLY neglectful. I know Jeff and his heart is well intended. We are allowing poorly trained people be responsible for our most disturbed youth. Unfortunately the current system does not have in place the necessary training and regulations that would prevent such tragedies. The staff are minimally trained and its a dangerous system for all. It needs to be revised!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 09:10 PM
    No kidding it's suspicious. I wonder what rocket scientist figured that out?
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Moma Location: NC on Mar 31, 2011 at 07:19 PM
    I think this little girl had a very sad life. I think everyone she knew failed her. God Bless you child. I am a foster mother and this world has 'heart' problems. Not the kind that kill but the kind of 'heart' problem that hurts others deeply. Life is so hard for a child in the best conditions let alone a life of turmoil and displacement.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Staffing????? Location: ENC on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:25 PM
    The conditions of the home presented a danger to the clients? This is a tragedy all the way around. Again, we must look towards those responsible for caring for these children. Regardless of the praises the owners receive, the declaration by the police tell me that those responsible for care were, at the very least, substandard. How can 'trained' staff not realize an environment is a danger to human life? What about the owners? Fact Bringer's comments hit the nail on the head!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Hank
on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:48 PM
    This story is so sad. White, black handicapped or not, a human being died because of alleged negligence. My heart goes out to the victim and the victims families. I hope all those involved find the peace of justice.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by sad Location: bath on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:45 PM
    GOD BLESS YOU AUNTIE FOR LETTING SOME OF THESE PEOPLE KNOW HOW BAD IT HURTS TO LOSE A LOVE ONE .MAY GOD BE WITH YOU IN YOUR TIME OF SORROW
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous Location: NC on Mar 31, 2011 at 02:18 PM
    This is not the time nor place to place blame on anyone. The young lady may not have been comfortable in telling the staff she was ill. The article stated she had recently been placed there. If she was not comfortable I understand her not communicating with the staff. To the parents of this young lady, just know that God is the maker and ruler of all and he will carry you through. If you trust and believe he will eventually brighten your day. If the group home was negligent they will get theirs. I pray for the family and remember there will be some dim days but also God will have more brighter days ahead.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Bruce the Shark Location: Greenville on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    God gave Moses a list of ten simple rules to follow that form the basis of our Judio-Christian culture. One of them was Thou Shall Not Steal.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Rhoda Location: Snow Hill on Mar 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    i m so sorry this tragedy occurred. my own child spent time at Divine Guidance. I can tell you that i was actively involved in his care and so was Jeff Ward.His staff was professional and caring. As parents we cannot always meet all our kids needs.Thank God for caring professionals who can assist. praying for family and Jeff and his family and staff.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Fact Bringer Location: Greenville on Mar 31, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    If jobs like these would pay more, supervisors would have more demand and higher qualified workers and therapists. Low quality is a direct result of the mental health reform that has taken place in NC, where it was assumed that the prospect of profit would regulate mental health like a market. So just keep in mind: you voted for this when you wanted the government out of your mental health care.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Monique Location: Greenville on Mar 31, 2011 at 08:42 AM
    My heart goeso out to both families during this time. I pray that God will handle this situation. Everyone pray instead of bashing.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Mar 31, 2011 at 08:31 AM
    We strongly need better supervision of these group homes by public health professionals-to conduct monthly feedback surveys from all clients so problems addressed early-food safety,environmental, mental and physical health needs. Who monitors the health of these clients and what agencies were working with this client or clients in group homes. We need a Pitt County Group Home Advisory Board-with a strong representation from our troubled youth who have lived in group homes. Yes-they can become responsible and great leaders for our communities future-they have great potential to do great things-sorry we had to lose one for a much needed change to how this special population of youth are treated. Praying for the family. Praying also for the leadership in all group homes to provide safe, culturally competent health care to all who comes under your care-they are precious lives sent from God.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous Location: g-ville on Mar 31, 2011 at 07:53 AM
    Did Jeff Ward own Carter Behavior Health? I thought someone else owned Divine Guidance.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 07:22 AM
    I think when Pitt County Mental health Services divested its services to private contractors in the 2002,it was because of trying to save money, not about quality of employees. Things have gotten worse in Pitt County since then but I think it is only one of the reasons.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Auntie Location: Snow Hill on Mar 31, 2011 at 06:53 AM
    To those of you who have expressed condolences to our family, we truly thank you. To those of you who have had negative remarks to make about our family and family member, I pray that you will never have to suffer the pain we are enduring right now. We have all made mistakes in life and to point fingers and play the blame game doesn't make things any easier.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Mar 31, 2011 at 01:42 PM in reply to Auntie
        God Bless you and your family.... so sorry for your loss
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Concerned Parent Location: ENC on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:02 AM
    My prayers go out to the family for their lost.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Vette
    I've worked for this same company for some years. I will honestly say that I can't and won't say anything good about the way things were ran. Yes there were plenty of drug users and sellers that the "owner" Jeffery Ward and family had in these homes with these kids. I contacted the proper authorities several times to come into the homes to really see what was going on. They shut down 2 of his homes but yet one remained open. It's sad that it took this young lady's life to completely shut him down. He used alot of staff to even though they weren't qualified. I had my proper training with the state. My heart and prayers go out to the family!!!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by scary
on Mar 31, 2011 at 06:56 AM in reply to Vette
        this is scary but inevitable when you house special needs/beh people. even the good homes have incidents. God bless all the people who are doing it for the right reason, and sorry to hear about this girl's death.
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by teacher and parent on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    Greenville and Pitt County are magnets for group homes...b/c of our medical facilites, and evergrowing population...group homes are money making homes that do not take proper care or have staff appropriated as needed. Group home owners make a ton of money, and our schools become full of added exceptional needs students...which the DPI frowns upon b/c Pitt County has such a high number of EC students. We cannot blame the students...but the money hungry pop up group homes, and I know other counties send their problems to us. My prayers go out to this young lady and her family...this should not ever have happened. Wake up authorities and crack the whip on these facilities. Prayers to all of our children.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Mar 31, 2011 at 08:22 AM in reply to teacher and parent
        I agree-our disabled, at-risk and vulnerable children are being used as a gateway for money. These group homes need to better audited by not only the DHHSNC, but by our local public health depart,ment, mental health agencies and Pitt County leaders. We have failed again to protect the human, healthcare and mental health needs of our youth and children. We need a Pitt County Group Home Advisory Board and also public health officials doing monthly visits with surveys of customer satisfaction from all group home clients. Only then can we prevent this from happening. We have a large Faith-Based Community-plese pray for the youth and the children's safety and health in your communities-its a mandate from God you do. Why do we have to lose an innocent life everytime-for a change to happen?
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by TO:ANON@4:59 Location: Jax on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:21 PM
    WELL SAID; Sadly every Tom Dick and Harry starts these things under the take that it is "easy money". Can't rob a bank so I steal from the incompatent. Revesre Robin Hood! Some people will do anything for a slice of govt monies. Mentally handicapped get a certain allowance. And certain parents of disabled will do anything to get their emotional drain out from under. I have a 20 year old with Downs. I have some insight to this.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by shyness on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:10 PM
    It is some selfish,sad,lost souls in this forum.I'm so glad that justice was served.I hope that her family sue the state's grandmother.Psychiatry isn't medicine,it's based on fantasy,money,greed,etc.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:49 PM
   Before Pitt County Mental Health Services dissolved in the early 2000's and began contracting out services to private providers, oversight and qualified staffing was imperative. Since then crime and social ills have run amuck in Pitt County.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Not true
on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:10 AM in reply to
       Get real. If the old system was working the state never would have adopted the current model. It did't work. Area programs did sub-par work; but they could cover it up because they were the state. Some had unlicensed clinicians serving in positions requiring licensed staff and got away with it. If private providers did this today, they'd be facing charges.
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Prayer Changes things! on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:20 PM
    Instead of posting a comment about a young lady that most of you do not know, post a prayer instead. This is what is needed. The family is grieving. Be supportive! Her friends are grieving, Be supportive.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Mar 31, 2011 at 03:08 AM in reply to Prayer Changes things!
        I'm thinking that praying for this girl is a little to late!
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Vickie
on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:01 PM in reply to
            Exactly!
            Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Don't Location: Judge on Mar 30, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    Don't judge before you know! This young lady did have a two parent home, who go to Church regularly, and have gone out of their way to receive mental health services for the needs that were out of their control. Please don't point fingers when you do not know the history.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous Location: goldsboro on Mar 30, 2011 at 05:51 PM
    lets learn from the mistakes that were made and try to make things better for her sake. praying for the family and classmates of this child who made a mistake and who's path to a better future was cut short.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Need Help on Mar 30, 2011 at 05:27 PM
    I agree with anonymous posting at 4:59pm. We need to go back to the basis needs. Group homes really don't work. I worked in a group home for boys and the young men we had needs jail. Mom's and Dad's please step up and do your job. I am a single parent and I have made it work. I did't come from a family with riches but we were rich in spirit. That's all you need. I pray for this young lady's family and I hope a lesson will come from this. God Bless you all
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Mar 30, 2011 at 04:59 PM
    How about we stand up as parents and do a better job of raising our children. How about get married, go to church, help your kids with homework and be there cheering them on and being there safe place and support. NOW THAT WOULD BE A GOOD START. Anyone that disagrees with my comment is a person that needs to improve their parenting skills and feels like I am talking about them!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Mar 30, 2011 at 05:25 PM in reply to
        I have to agree
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Natalie
on Mar 30, 2011 at 05:46 PM in reply to
            I am bold enough to put my namee under my comment, first of all You are an idiot! 2nd of all how dare you disrespect this family and say something like that! You have no idea what this family beleives in or does. I know for a fact that this family is very active in the church, saved, spirit filled and their children were raised in the church! You can't possibly have any children of your own! Because if you did, you would know no matter how good of a parent you are, you can't control what your children do outside the home! All we can do is pray that they do what you instilled in them! You my dear are disrespectful, rude, inappropitale, and IGNORANT! I pray that God will forgive your foolishness! The next time you want to comment, be a real woman and say your name! Thank you very much! Natalie
            Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Yes Sir!
on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:10 PM in reply to Natalie
                Tell it Natalie, I agree. If you don't know the family then mind your business. They are wonderful people!
                [ Report Abuse ]

by I Agree with Natalie
on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:26 PM in reply to Natalie
                Tell it girl. God will give people their own situations to deal with so they can understand. Since they think they know how things should be. This is why they say that church folks are the reason why a lot of people don't want to go to church. Keep your mouth shut an pray! The Streeter Family is wonderful people!
                [ Report Abuse ]

by Vickie
on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:30 PM in reply to Natalie
                With all that name calling you got going on,I hope GOD has your back...LOL
                [ Report Abuse ]

by What?
on Mar 30, 2011 at 06:54 PM in reply to
            People should just mind their business. I knew the young lady. She was a great person. Everyone makes mistakes in life. Her trouble with the credit card has nothing to do with her death. Her parents wanted to help their child so they put her in a group home to get support. So what does that have to do with doing better with raising your children. Her parent did a great job of raising their children. Everyone seeks help for their child when they need extra help. This is called "Love". Do what you have to do to help them do better. Mind your business before you have your own problems to deal with, Mrs. Perfection!
            Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Public School Teacher on Mar 30, 2011 at 04:59 PM
    The general public would not BELIEVE some of the people who run these group homes and the people they hire. Ask any teacher; they'll tell you about some of the workers who come out and pick up unruly kids. Unbelievable.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by ???
on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:05 AM in reply to Public School Teacher
        The general public would not believe some of the individuals that pass as teachers today. Unbelievable!
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous on Mar 30, 2011 at 04:55 PM
    Why did it take a childs death to see that the conditions are bad enough to shut the place. Dose not the state inspect these homes? My heart goes out to the family.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by yeah
on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:37 PM in reply to
        they should inspect quarterly. and people know when theyre due inspection, so they make it look nice for the inspectors visit. this may have shown that the particular workers did not check on the clients very much that particular night or did not take the young lady seriously when she complained of pain. she may have complained of pain every single day to workers and her parents and may have had it checked out several times, revealing no health problem. who knows! i dont trust the meds they put people on bc they havent been around long enough to really test for safety long term. i work with people who complain every day about some ailment just to get out of doing any activity, its hard to tell whats real and you have to just give the benefit of the doubt and waste time in an ER when someones feeling needy for attention that day. i cant speak for this kid personally, though i didnt know her. the situation is very sad and im sorry that it happened.
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by matthew on Mar 30, 2011 at 02:33 PM
    It was my privilege to know you. May you find peace with the Lord.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Curious Location: over the rainbow on Mar 30, 2011 at 01:45 PM
    Does anyone know if this young lady might have attended a health camp in Columbia,nc. At the Eastern 4-h center. She looks like one of the students I had.. And I am very sorry for the families loss. Whether it be the homes fault or natural causes i hope that you all find out soon. I can only imagine what you guys are going through. Thoughts and prayers are with yall! May god bless your family through this troubling time!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Mar 30, 2011 at 06:28 PM in reply to Curious
        yes she's the one, cause i attended there
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Curious
on Mar 31, 2011 at 09:38 AM in reply to Anonymous
            Oh my gosh... I remember it being her birthday and we all sang happy birthday to her and she teared up like it meant so much to her!! Then gave us all hugs... again I am so sorry for your loss!
            Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by sosadritenow Location: goldsboro on Mar 30, 2011 at 01:41 PM
    Just dont really know wat to say other than sorry for them family, friends and loved ones. My GOD, my GOD!!!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:33:53 PM by Reddit TroubledTeens »

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
Comments (part two)

by Anonymous on Mar 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM
@ WOW... INSTEAD OF HV'N A DEBATE ABOUT WHOSE FAULT IT IS KNW THAT OUR FAMILY IS GRIEVIN DEEPLY BC WE LOST A LOVED ONE IT MATTERS NEVERTHELESS AT THIS POINT ABOUT WHOSE RITE OR WHOSE WRONG IT IS A TRAGEDY AND IF IT WERE SOMEONE IN YOUR FAMILY U WOULDNT WANT ANYONE CRACK'N JOKES ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONE BEING GONE WHETHER SMALL OR BIG SO PLZ HV RESPECT AND DNT POST ANYTHING ELSE ON HER BC GOD SEES ALL AND HE KNOWS ALL. U WOULDNT LIKE IT IF SOMEONE DID THAT TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. BE BLESSED
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by URSULA Location: DUNN on Mar 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM
R.I.P LIL' CUZZO... U WILL TRULY BE MISSED...LUV U TO LIFE BUT GOD LUVS U BEST. LIVE IN THE SKY KISSES TO HEAVEN... HEAVEN WAS TRULY MISS'N AN ANGEL.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by 21 on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM
In retrospect of that's happened, she very well may have died of natural cause. so, in that case, the group home may not be at fault. look at recent news where these young healthy athelets have died d/t "unknown medical conditions". they all "appeared healthy". But still, I feel it ws the parent responisibility to contact an adult and make them aware of her complaining of "CHEST PAIN", even if it turned out to be nothing, I wouldve alerted another adult or called 911 myself. thoughts and prayers to the family.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by sad on Mar 30, 2011 at 06:07 PM in reply to 21
    this lady does not appear to be healthy--she may have died of natural causes. people posting up here have never worked in group homes, obviously.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by R.I.P sheaka boo Location: snow hill on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM
Our hearts are heavy but we know that your in a better place we miss yhu so much and wish that this was all just a bad dream but we know that we will see yhu again................please keep us (bestfriends and family) in your prayers.. i love yhu my sheaka boo
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Vickie Location: Grimesland on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM
When I googled the Address of this place,my first and only thought was, "What kind of professional help could this girl possibly be getting,in a small home".....Hmmm
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Bob Location: Greenville on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM
ECBH are the ones who need to be sued, and Pitt County Commissioners for allowing Pitt to be involved. When someone holds the county government responsible for contracting with ECBH, things will change. The group home is at fault, but its goes higher than that.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Kslater on Mar 30, 2011 at 09:53 AM
I'm sorry that the family has to go through this tragedy. Will be keeping the family in my prayers and hope the Lord will ease their suffering of a lost loved one.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Concerned Location: Snow Hill on Mar 30, 2011 at 09:40 AM
My heart goes out to the family of the deceased. Hearing comments from kids that know the young lady stated that she did have an ongoing sickness so we need not point blame at anyone. Even though she may have told her mother that she wasnt feeling well does not mean that she communicated with the staff to let them know being she was recently placed there she may not have felt acceptable in telling the staff. Again not pointing blame a family member shouldve spoken to the staff members to assure that they knew of her not feeling well. It is indeed a sad situation but its not a time to point fingers or blame anyone, God has his apointed time for us all regardless of where we are or our ages. Lets all keep the family, her friends, her school peers and staff of the group home in our prayers im sure it is hard for them as well. God is in control and Who are we to point fingers or judge anyone. With heartfelt sympathy Concerned
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by A Helping Friend
on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:52 AM in reply to Concerned
    Amen.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by confused Location: gville on Mar 30, 2011 at 09:32 AM
If this is all she did (stole cc) then why was she put in a group home?
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous on Mar 30, 2011 at 09:22 AM
Praying for this family and God's peace and comfort. Our children and youth are always priority-keep praying for them.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Nikki on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:49 AM
I have a niece that has been in several group homes, and there is only one that she was in that really cared. The workers at the rest of the homes were babysitters. She had to fix her own food if she ate and had to do everything on her own. She was only 12 when she first went to one. The people that actually own the homes are never there. They have no clue what goes on, and when a "troubled" child tells someone of these things, the child is never believed because they are put there since they have problems, which is unfair. Children do lie, but if you go into the situation believing them, and they are telling the truth that is better than ignoring them and having something like this happen. May God give the family the comfort during this difficult time, and may the truth be told.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Star1 on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:38 AM
This is an unfortunate tragedy. Just curious did she tell anyone about the way she was feeling other than her mom? Not to point fingers at the mom, but if my child voiced that she was having those problems, she should have contacted the proper authorities as well as called back to ensure that the problem was address. I agree with most post, that these homes most of the times the interest is not of the child, but their wallets. I hope this is investigated properly and not swepted under the rug. My thoughts and prayers goes to her and her family.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by whowantstoknow Location: ENC on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:27 AM
This is to Wow, If the Staff was trained properly they should have ask the Teen what was wrong with her. You do not ignore severe Headaches with Side and Chest Pain. She should have been taken to the ER. It is the Staffs Job to care for these Children and not sit around and watch TV. I have worked in several Facilities and I know what is going on there. My Condolence goes out to her Family and Friends. You are in our Prayers.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by bil Location: gboro on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:26 AM
1- prayers for the family rest in peace child. 2- I am a mental health worker- I can say that alot of these group homes hire staff that can barely read and that sleep at the group homes resting up for their other jobs cause of low pay. ( this isnt me making it up, I have heard the workers say this is so ). A cop friend of mine used to live across from one home in kinston and the resident teens were always slipping away and going to his house to try to steal whatever might be left out under garage. The group home owners cut staffing to the bare minimum to maximize profits and in general dont really care about the kids just the check. Im not saying thats the case with this particular one but often it is.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Staffing?
on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:11 AM in reply to bil
    So true Bil. I was stunned to see some of my co-workers in the same position...... uneducated, illiterate. I will also say that those with degrees, in some instances, were just as bad. The problem is too many layers. We have 'suits' sitting in an office somewhere, making decisions that are usually counter productive to the environment served. Since the switch to 'community based' services, we have seen a serious decline in quality treatment.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by RAYMONDA
on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:43 AM in reply to Staffing?
        Amen to you and bill's post! At times the staff and their work ethics are unbelievable!! i know...
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Anonymous
on Mar 30, 2011 at 06:12 AM
What a mess,this country is in deep D* D*.There is just not enough money to fund all of the group homes with qualified staff.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Family Member Location: Snow Hill on Mar 30, 2011 at 05:10 AM
On behalf of "Sheaka"'s family, thank you to all of you for your kind words and well wishes. We really appreciate it. Please keep us in prayer as this is a really diffucult situation for us.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by ETHFAR on Mar 30, 2011 at 01:01 AM
having worked in this field and for a company as a counselor, I must agree to a point with staffing. However, I feel the stat has cracked down on and has closed most of the companies who are in it only for the money. I have seen many of the workers at group home facilities show a lack of concern for the kids there. They are trained; most of them choose not to do their jobs correctly. The state mandates specific training to be able to work in a group home facility. I can honestly say that the owners of this specific facility are not negligent or substandard. My heart and prayers go out to Ms Dysheka's family.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Staffing?
on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:00 AM in reply to ETHFAR
    That's a big 10-4. I, like you, have watched as group home employees have provided sub-standard services. The training is there, but most are too concerned about getting out of the training as quick as they can. Furthermore, the younger work force does not have the same work ethic as those before them. I hate to say it, but we are producing a generation(or two) of 'i know it all' slackers. Prayers to all!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by go right ahead
on Mar 30, 2011 at 06:11 PM in reply to Staffing?
        ever worked in a group home before? 24 hours round the clock care for difficult people? low pay, little vacation time, high maintenance annoying people to work with? what kind of people go for those kinds of jobs? people who dont have an education or cant do better. so what do you expect? the state cuts and cuts in this area, yet they expect higher and higher standards. of course something like this was bound to happen. its tragic, but when you pay people very little, they get little reward in the job, theyre likely to get burned out and do poorly. you cant do this job unless you truly have a passion for taking care of people with special needs and dont care about money or enjoying your life very much.
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by GC
on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:05 PM in reply to go right ahead
            Great answer a owner of a home can not create money. If he is not given the money from the state it can't be used. Do you expect a person to take risks by being self employed and own homes only to make very little profit? Im sure if you own your own business you dont lose but so much money to make the service better
            [ Report Abuse ]

by unknown on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM
my prayers go out to the family I have lost a child and it was so sudden so I can relate I just know that it is hard to place your chid in some one else care when you feel you have done all you can... i know they are so many unanswered questions... but threw the grace of god you will make it
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Wow on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM
How about waiting for the results of the autopsy before blaming the facility housing this individual for treatment purposes. A better use of time spent pre-judging would be offering sincere words of support and encouragement to the bereaved family.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by I Know
on Mar 30, 2011 at 09:15 AM in reply to Wow
    this facility is sorry and has been in business on for the money. they should be shut down. Please sue them and make the owner suffer for operating a home like this
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by poohbear Location: raleigh on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:27 PM
im gonna miss u i love u dysheka ur one of the cusins i dont really no but i know ur fam im only nine so i <3 u rip
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by GREG on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:25 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/29/po ... latestnews JUST SAYIN.......
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by WOOHOO on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM
JUST SAYIN..............
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by A Friend Location: Snow Hill on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM
R.I.P. Dysheka! A truly wonderful young lady with a wonderful and supportive family. I can't imagine such a tragedy. My heart is heavy at this time. Let's bind together and send up prayers for the family, friends, and her classmates.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Family Member
on Mar 30, 2011 at 05:12 AM in reply to A Friend
    Thank you for your prayers.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]
        by Dysheaka Best Friend
(Classmate) Alisha on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:21 PM in reply to Family Member
        Thank you for praying for us , out of all the girls at our school , Sheaka only had 3 best friends (sisters) and it is killing us to see that she's gone ! But i want her to know that i love her , and she need to wait for me (us) .
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Dar Location: Wilmar on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM
i have known these people for years,and they are some fine people.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by So Saden
on Mar 30, 2011 at 09:38 PM in reply to Dar
    You need to stop lying. These people were all in it for the money and not the kids. Believe me I know.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Another Social Worker Location: Greenville on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:30 PM
To Staffing? I agree to a certain extent. Having worked in the mental health field for many years and even now still in Social Work, I have to say that w/ the many changes, there are still some agencies that are in it for the money although with all the state changes they are few, far, and in between. I happen to know the owners of this agency professionally and they do not fall in the category of negligent, substandard.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Staffing?
on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:48 AM in reply to Another Social Worker
    Agreed. My statement was more a generalization than pointed to a specific agency. I guess my issue comes when poor staffing is allowed by state regulators. The group homes I've worked in allowed CNA's to 'run the show'. While CNA's are an important part to the the process, they usually do not have the proper training to deal with this type of environment. While there are good agencies out there, unfortunately, they are few in number.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by just a worker
on Mar 30, 2011 at 06:14 PM in reply to Staffing?
        i say all the people who are first to judge those who work in these group homes ought to go ahead and volunteer to work in one for a week. volunteer. cause you wont be making a whole lot of money. and youll be up all night with needy people every night. it takes a special person to do this job well. you people have no idea what its like, you just drink the news story kool aid and thrive on the drama!
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Elizabeth Location: Farmville on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:28 PM
Prayers go out 2 the family of this young ladie,I know this is a tragic loss of one so young but God will be with you every step of the way....
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Elizabeth Location: Farmville on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:28 PM
Prayers go out 2 the family of this young ladie,I know this is a tragic loss of one so young but God will be with you every step of the way....
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Missmomgold Location: Snow Hill on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:15 PM
RIP Lady Dy. Our hearts are sad in Snow Hill.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Dar Location: Wilmar on Mar 29, 2011 at 08:36 PM
My prayers & thoughts are with the family in their great time of need. May God give them comfort & strength.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Aerial Clay Location: Snowhill on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:11 PM
R.i.p wish I could of talk to her and gottan to know her,it really broke my heart.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Staffing? Location: ENC on Mar 29, 2011 at 05:53 PM
While there is still much to learn, I will say that staffing at these types of homes is sub standard at best. As a clinical social worker, I have seen many of these homes being staffed with incompetent workers. Even though we do not know how this girl died, being in an institutional setting is supposed to alleviate the risks to the client, and those around. Unfortunately, those starting these homes are in it for the money. They get checks from the state of NC, while they staff their homes with the cheapest help available. Nice system...huh.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by anonymous
on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:30 PM in reply to Staffing?
    To "Staffing"....I thought the same exact thing. I am also a professional in the field - not a social worker, but with a graduate degree in rehabilitation, and I also see the sub standard employment issues in these "fly by night" agencies. I cannot speak for this one specifically, but have seen enough of state licensed facilities to know that unfortunately that almighty dollar is driving the train much of the time. I am so sorry for for the loss of this young lady and will pray for her family. To those who work in these facilities that DO care and try very hard to do a good job, bless you. Please remember that families and/or courts send these children/ adolescents to you for HELP, and to learn the skills necessary to function in society at a level that is productive and positive. What a tragic story.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by whowantstoknow
on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:30 AM in reply to anonymous
        I am right there with you! Thanks for caring!! There are not many of us out there who really want to make a difference in someone Life and be compassionate.
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by ethfar
on Mar 30, 2011 at 12:54 AM in reply to Staffing?
    @ Staffing- I agree most of the workers hired at some of these facilities at incompetent. However, most are trained properly; they just choose not to do their jobs correctly (ie bed checks, service records, monitor the kids, etc). I have had the experience to work at a group home facility and will agree that most of the owners of these type of homes are in it for the money. I must add that this specific company's owners are not these type of people. They should look for some compensation (one of the reasons everyone works is to make money to pay bills, etc). My heart goes out to her family. I believe the state has cracked down on most of the "greedy" people in this business.
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Greene Co. Family on Mar 29, 2011 at 05:01 PM
R.I.P. Dysheka
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Mom Location: NC on Mar 29, 2011 at 04:53 PM
God Bless her and her family. God Bless.
Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Concerned Parent
on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:39 PM in reply to Mom
    It amazes me how people get up here and have negative things to say about the deceased! My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this young lady. And for "WOW" I pray tragedy never knocks at your door. There is nothing amusing about loosing a love one, especially in this manner!
    Reply [ Report Abuse ]

by Really......!
on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM in reply to Concerned Parent
        I totaly agree with you Concerned Parent. Also, we can not take everyting that is reported in the papers as being the TRUTH. News reporters get bits and fragments from so many sources that may not know every detail of the situation. .
        Reply [ Report Abuse ]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:30:14 PM by Reddit TroubledTeens »

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
"...Girl, do you know how much EMS cost..."

More than her life was worth, apparently.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
Quote from: "Pile of Dead Kids"
"...Girl, do you know how much EMS cost..."

More than her life was worth, apparently.

So true...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
http://www.wcti12.com/news/28530906/detail.html

Group Home Teen Complained Of Symptoms Before Death
By Erin Butherus / Producer
POSTED: 7:06 am EDT July 13, 2011
UPDATED: 5:20 pm EDT July 13, 2011

PITT COUNTY -- NewsChannel 12 is learning more about the death of a 16-year-old girl in a group home. Dysheka Streeter died from several blood clots, but the majority of the investigation was on the treatment she received in the days and hours before her death.

According to a report from the Division of Health Service Regulation, Dysheka Streeter had been complaining for days about being in pain. A fellow client of the group home told investigators she heard Dysheka saying "she felt like her chest was pulling and she was hurting." Another client in the home told investigators "she heard client #1 (Streeter) beating on the walls in her room and yelling that she needed to go to the hospital on Sunday night."

Streeter wasn't taken to the hospital.

The documents say Streeter called her mom six times asking to be taken to the hospital. Streeter's mother allegedly told a staff member that Streeter "does that for attention and she was not coming from (a nearby city) to (city name) because she had somewhere she had to be at 9..."

Streeter wasn't faking this time.

In early morning hours of March 28th, Dysheka Streeter was found dead the Divine Guidance Integrated Services group home on Forest Hill Circle. She was reportedly cold to the touch and had foam around her nose and mouth.

NewsChannel 12 tried to speak with Streeter's family about what happened, but we were told "no comment."

The owner of Divine Guidance Integrative Services, Jeff Ward, turned in the licenses for two of the three group homes in Greenville. The third group home is open on Dusk Court. Ward has yet to return NewsChannel 12's calls or email.

Inside the 76 page report, it describes multiple times Streeter allegedly told the people around her she was in pain just before her death, but help came too late.

Divine Guidance Integrated Services is being fined $11,000 for the violations investigators found.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »
Comments:

Chrissy Wooliever · Subscribe
a monetary fee only? everyone goes crazy when its our elderly that are neglected and die as a result in a home...what about our young people?
Reply · 1 · Like · Follow Post · July 13, 2011 at 9:40am

Shabba Loving Honeysuckle · University of romance
Good. People should listen to teens sometimes.no matter if they have mental issues or not. Nobody should be treated like they are not heard. And now she is gone over something that could have been. Surgically helped and maybe saved her life. America needs to step there cookies up.
Reply · Like · Follow Post · July 13, 2011 at 7:26am

Amber Bailey · Pamlico County High
This is just disgusting! It wouldn't have hurt a thing to get her checked out by a doctor but ignoring hercaused her death! He deserves a lot more than monetary punishment he should be charged with negll.
Reply · Like · Follow Post · July 13, 2011 at 8:10am

------ Amber Bailey · Pamlico County High
------ Negligence and no longer run a group home ever again! This could have been avoided!
------ Reply · Like · July 13, 2011 at 8:12am

------ Terry Stidham · Oriental, North Carolina
------ She could have lived ! A blood clot is treatable!!
------ Reply · Like · July 13, 2011 at 12:52pm

------ Terry Stidham · Oriental, North Carolina
------ And only 16 years old!
------ Reply · Like · July 13, 2011 at 12:56pm