Author Topic: BOOT CAMP FOR KIDS: Torturing Teens for Fun and Profit  (Read 7416 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: BOOT CAMP FOR KIDS: Torturing Teens for Fun and Profit
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »
Quote from: "Cfontyn"
Quote from: "unicorn33"
PS I WONDER HOW MUCH THEY PAID YOU KIDS TO SAY JAMAICA WAS PEAS AND FING CARROTS! MAKES ME SICK!
I was never paid. I am only one person who did not have an abusive experience. I simple just don't understand when people say that they experienced it. I was in the program in 1998. Right when all of this started to come about. I had a decent experience. Learned some things, and use it in my life today. I am sorry that kids went through what they did. I cannot fathom how one person can be so mean and cruel to a child, let alone a child that isn't theirs. I believe what people say about what they had to endure. I am sorry that they went through it. I am not being paid to glorify the program. I am simply telling my story. Was I yelled at sometimes, ya. Was I bitten by nasty bugs in my sleep? oh ya. almost nightly, but I just figured the bug thing was their culture. If I was ridiculed and belittled it was by the other girls in the program with me not the staff. Maybe I am one of the VERY few.
Do you think that the ridiculing and belittling you may have experienced from the other girls in the program ... might have had something to do with the program culture? That is, with the "therapeutic milieu?"

Forgive me for being perhaps a bit presumptuous here, but... it seems to me that the staff were very much involved in consciously and deliberately creating that therapeutic milieu... That was part of their job, right? To get you kids to "hold one another accountable" (or however it was phrased at TB), ridiculing and belittling one another being amongst the means. The ultimate goal being indoctrinating y'all into a "positive peer culture" (or similar such catchphrase), eh?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline breal

• View Profile
Re: BOOT CAMP FOR KIDS: Torturing Teens for Fun and Profit
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »
I don't understand why some of the instructors or counselors in these places don't come forward.  They are legally bound to report abuses, aren't they?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »