Author Topic: Please Respond  (Read 17613 times)

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
Re: Please Respond
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 09:03:34 PM »
A PhD in why the Arabs don't like the Jews? Sounds pretty easy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
?©?€~¥@

Offline cmack

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
Quote from: "Mikehoncho"
I wonder if they have any documentation on the medication they dispense to patients/students.

Yes they do. They have a sheet we have to sign before they dispense our meds with a full list of all the medications dispensed.
I'm sure obtaining a copy with my personal meds on it wouldn't be hard to obtain.

I do have to be very careful when I post on here. Maintaining my anonymity on here is of utmost importance. Im not overly worried though.

I've gone through my rebellious phase already. I attempted to start a student union and set up a food bank for AWOL students and was almost kicked out myself along with 12 other kids. Since then I have stayed under the radar and expect to graduate in may.

When you can safely tell the story I'd love to hear more about your attempt to create a student union and set up a food bank for AWOL students. The most important thing right now is for you to concentrate on graduating. We don't want you turned out on the streets of Redlands. If you get in a real jam try to post a message on fornits, someone will help you. Don't leave without your ID, even if you have to get the cops involved.

Offline cmack

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 12:21:19 AM »
Quote from: "T.O."
Oy. I think I was in maybe a week or two before my 18th (they used to allow that, I don't know if they do now) but I was also straight out of SUWS--if you are familiar with that one, I was in the high mountains in Idaho from mid-January until mid-February-- and I had been 51/50d before that. I was already pretty discombobulated and disoriented from those experiences, and I was already being over-medicated.  All I knew was that I wanted the chance to keep going to school (I was not allowed back to my old high school), and Benchmark was supposed to be place were I could do that. I basically said ok because a) I was out in California with a suitcase and nothing else, and I'm from Boston, and b) I could finish school and start college courses. There weren't really any warning signs--I was incredibly lucky that my mother refused, in front of me, to sign the contract saying she would have no contact, but then she flew back to Boston and we had no money (for example, for her to get me home)...my Dad payed for the program (an epically hostile divorce story there), and he was all on board. Basically, me and my mom had no resources, and as far as my Dad was concerned it was this or nothing if I wanted to finish high school. It has alienated us for years, and I have only begun to be able to broach with him the depths of the horrible things that happened there and the degree to which I am still dealing with damage caused by Benchmark. I think when parents really love you, it is VERY hard for them to admit that they may have made a VERY BAD decision.

Interestingly enough, I forced myself to start talking to him about it when he started bringing up the 'troubled teen' daughter of a neighbor, mostly because I was TERRIFIED that he would recommend to the parents that they send her to Benchmark--I had to break my silence, because I knew I couldn't bear that responsibility.

I like to think that someday, when I am at UCLA or UC Berkeley delivering a paper, that I will be able go back and confront that place calmly, quietly, and with strength, but I can't do that yet--the very thought of the arrogance with which the majority of the staff went about damaging incredibly vulnerable young people still has the power to make me boil over.

And thank you! I am working on a PhD (Religious Studies) in the relationship between law and imagination in medieval and modern Jewish and Islamic philosophy and religious thought.

I'm familiar with SUWS. How long did you end up staying at Benchmark, 12 mos? I think you said you got your HS diploma there so it wasn't a total waste. Sorry you had to endure all the other BS and abuse. I think you're right about parents. A lot of them just don't want to hear anything about it. The programs work really hard to brainwash the parents and keep them in the dark about what really goes on. I'm glad you spoke up to protect the neighbor girl.

I guess you are hoping for a career in academia. Best wishes. How many years do you have left to get your PhD? If I understand your studies, you're comparing the evolution of Jewish and Islamic thought (law, culture, beliefs) from medieval to modern times. Did they develop in parallel or are there significant divergences you are exploring?

BTW, have you seen psy's Benchmark website? If not it's worth a read. http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/

Judge Joe

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 12:30:33 AM »
Quote from: "T.O."
Quote from: "Xelebes"
I wonder if they have any documentation on the medication they dispense to patients/students.
I would love if anyone had any advice for how to get it out of them? :-)

This wouldn't hurt > Go the local pharmacist and get an itemized pharmacy printout.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 02:55:41 AM »
A "graduation" from Benchmark is meaningless.

There are people on this board who will help you. There are people in the state of California who can help you. Get your ID- call the cops if necessary- and walk out.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
Quote from: "cmack"
I think you're right about parents. A lot of them just don't want to hear anything about it. The programs work really hard to brainwash the parents and keep them in the dark about what really goes on. I'm glad you spoke up to protect the neighbor girl.

Sorry I've been away from the thread for the past few days. Been busy with holiday stuffs and away from a constant connection.

In regards to parents...  Just give them time, be persistent, and eventually they'll come around.  Most parents don't want to admit to themselves more than anything else that they could have made such a massive mistake regarding the welfare of their son/daughter.  With mine, it helped to forgive them for what they did.  I told them that I forgave them regardless of whether they realized what they did and I think that removed some of the blockage preventing them from considering the possibility they might have sent me to a place that was less than healthy.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »
I like to think that someday, when I am at UCLA or UC Berkeley delivering a paper, that I will be able go back and confront that place calmly, quietly, and with strength

I did just that and I felt it very healing.  I highly recommend it.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 10:21:49 AM »
Quote from: "Mikehoncho"
Needless to say, the results of this method are often destructive and a large number of students go AWOL  and/or are suspended before completing the program.

Sad to hear that's still the case.  Do you have an estimate of what percentage of "students" who enroll make it to graduation?  When I was there it was very very low.

Offline T.O.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
A PhD in why the Arabs don't like the Jews? Sounds pretty easy.

HA! Funny. Actually, it's about why the relationship between Judaism and Islam is far more complex and intimate that the relationship that either of those faiths has (or can have) with Christianity, largely as a result of a) the understanding in Judaism and Islam that law is an essential component of wordly ethics, and b) emphasis on human responsibility for the world that human being live in and each other, rather than a 'heavenly world' or life-after-death :-)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
These questions are for the OP of whatever other Benchmark students (ex or current) are in the thread:

1. What percentage of students who enroll end up in Motels?
2. What is the average stay of students in Motels?
3. Do students in Motels ever return to State St. or whatever the primary living facility is nowadays.
4. Is Friendship Workshop still going on?
5. If yes, when did you participate in it and has it changed from what was posted on my website?

I'm curious as to how things have changed since I left.  I know things hadn't changed much since I went back in '07, but it's been a few years since then.

Offline GeOrGiaJon12

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
1. What percentage of students who enroll end up in Motels? 45%
2. What is the average stay of students in Motels? 4 months to 6
3. Do students in Motels ever return to State St. or whatever the primary living facility is nowadays. Some doo but no. they like it at the motels from what ive seen
4. Is Friendship Workshop still going on? no
5. If yes, when did you participate in it and has it changed from what was posted on my website?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
Thank you.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes