Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Benchmark Young Adult School / Benchmark Transitions

Please Respond

<< < (2/6) > >>

cmack:

--- Quote from: "Mikehoncho" ---I'm an upper level student and have access to computers at various libraries. In my opinion the program itself is fundamentally flawed in its take on rehabilitation. Instead of focusing on getting rid of destructive traits in a person and keeping the positive traits intact, they feel it necessary to "break down" students and rebuild them into some idealistic automaton. Needless to say, the results of this method are often destructive and a large number of students go AWOL  and/or are suspended before completing the program. So to answer your question, I don't enjoy it here and yearn for my graduation date to arrive.
--- End quote ---

I'm glad you are still you. How long before you graduate? Has the program been of any benefit to you at all? How many students are there now? I understand that enrollment is down over what it was several years ago. What are your plans for the future?

Mikehoncho:
Admittedly, My relationship with my parents has strengthened since coming to Benchmark.
After I finish at Benchmark I hope to transfer to a 4 year university.

cmack:

--- Quote from: "Mikehoncho" ---Admittedly, My relationship with my parents has strengthened since coming to Benchmark.
After I finish at Benchmark I hope to transfer to a 4 year university.
--- End quote ---

I'm glad your relationship w/ your parents has improved and I wish you well w/ your Uni plans. Since you're a upper level student I assume that means you'll be graduating soon. I hope your posting here doesn't get you in any trouble.

T.O.:
Glad you have access! I'd repeat the comment that you should be careful. Your situation seems similar to mine--I was at benchmark a number of years ago. I actually graduated high school at Redlands Adult School and transferred to a 4-year university. I have since graduated (with honors), lived overseas, completed a Masters degree and am working on my PhD. It is possible, and it sounds like you are going in a really positive direction. Recently I accidentally ran into a girl I was at Benchmark with in Canada, where she was working on her M.A. and it is wonderful to see her happy.  

Benchmark is awful. It is so destructive--if it is a 'benchmark' of anything, it may be a benchmark of how bad things can be. But I have been amazed at how we managed to survive, and survive well.

Please let me know if there is anything we can help you with, at least while you have access. If you are taking college classes there, is it at Redlands or San Bernadino?

Btw, a bit of practical advice? Before you leave Benchmark, make sure that you get copies of your medical and psychiatric records. This has proved very difficult for me: on request from a respected therapist, they only provided the documents that *I* filled out upon admission--nothing concerning medication.

Xelebes:
I wonder if they have any documentation on the medication they dispense to patients/students.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version