Author Topic: A Few Websites To Read Other's Thoughts on Teen Challenge  (Read 53472 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Let Me Tell You a Real Life Experience Instead of blah, blah
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »
My son has been to Teen Challenge 2 times and on his 2nd try has now made it to "God's Mountain" in Rehresburg, PA. He is turned 24,Nov. 2008. I have been battling "Crack Cocaine" drug addiction with him since he was 19, the Fall of 2002.  It has wrecked our familie's lives. I am open minded and not a rigid religious person ---just believe in God - a higher power. I can tell you "SCIENCE" DOES NOT WORK ! I was against a "12 Step program" & I sent my son to Narconon at age 19 to rid "Crack Cocaine" addiction. This is a scientology program where they study and go to class every day to understand addiction for 3-6 months. They, also, give them 42 vitamins a day, put them in a sauna and sweat it out (drug toxins) of them everyday. IT DID NOT WORK ! I spent $13,000 & a plane ticket to go to Narconon in Montreal, Canada because in the US it would have cost $24,000. He has been "in and out" of drug rehabs for 6 years. The closest thing to making him aware of his addiction and his predisposed genes has been Teen Challenge. You see, "Crack Cocaine" addiction is like swiping a credit card through your brain because that urge is psychological. It never goes away without a change in your outlook on life and a FIGHT. The Teen Challenge program, from a mother's point of view , is fighting that "urge" with a new philosophy. Philosophy is the study of the principles underlying conduct, thought and general principles of a field of knowledge.In short, studying a particular system of ethics. "Crack Cocaine" is known as the "Devil's Candy" and what better person to fight that urge with than "God". It's "Good" versus "Evil". Most of those that are against religion do not understand it but please do not discourage those from going to Teen Challenge because you are against religion. ALSO, DO NOT CONDEMN A PROGRAM YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. YOU, ALSO, KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CURING DRUG ADDICTION THROUGH SCIENCE. Your statements where all your own thoughts and beliefs. Thanks for letting me share.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: A Few Websites To Read Other's Thoughts on Teen Challenge
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 11:57:18 AM »
Quote from: "mireland"
I can tell you "SCIENCE" DOES NOT WORK ! I was against a "12 Step program" & I sent my son to Narconon at age 19 to rid "Crack Cocaine" addiction. This is a scientology program where they study and go to class every day to understand addiction for 3-6 months. They, also, give them 42 vitamins a day, put them in a sauna and sweat it out (drug toxins) of them everyday. IT DID NOT WORK !

You are sadly mistaken if you believe that Scientology has anything to do with "Science." Scientology's origins do lie partially with science fiction, however! Quite literally, I might add!

Not wishing to disparage you or minimize what you and your family has been through, but you just took your son out of one cult...and put him into another.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Miz LaMere

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 03:19:25 PM »
This is kinda fun.  I am interested in checking out other websites that deal with these schools!  I am new here and trying to find my way around this site.  I keep getting lost!

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »
Someone pm Miz Lamere the url for that Maia article on the evolution of programs that she did. Might be quite instructive for the young lady.

dragonfly

Re: A Few Websites To Read Other's Thoughts on Teen Challeng
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 10:59:50 PM »

Offline TC_Saved_Me

• View Profile
Thoughts from someone who escaped from the "Cult"
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 10:21:20 AM »
Well, I've been reading through some of these Discussion Boards, and thought that my input might carry some weight.  Since I have actually been enrolled in Teen Challenge, and successfully completely both phases of the program, unlike some other people who are posting on here...

When I went into Teen Challenge, I was court ordered because I had been arrested three times in just under a year.  All of the arrest were drug-related offenses.  To make a long story short, I was raised in a church, and never even liked going to church when I was invited.  But by the time I was arrested for the third time, I was completely addicted to drugs & alcohol, and was desperate to get myself clean, so I thought I'd try Teen Challenge.

The program had a very strict curriculum, and I wanted to leave the program several times (Once you are in the program, you are free to leave whenever you choose, but you cannot come back for a certain amount of time once you do).  If I wasn't court-ordered to finish Teen Challenge, I probably would have left to be honest.  But I stuck it out, and did my best to follow all of the rules that were enforced.  The consequences for breaking the rules vary, but you normally will have to do extra chores, and memorize more scriptures out of the Bible.

The program is basically: very structured, work responsibilities, Bible classes, required church attendence, scripture memorization, etc.  It was EXACTLY what I needed!  I'm not going to claim to be an expert on cults, but I believe most cults brainwash you to believe that someone or something in the confines of that cult should be worshipped.  Teen Challenge is not like that at all.  You are required to attend church services, but that's about it.  They don't strong-arm anyone to believe anything, they simply take an approach like most parents should when raising their children, "You're living under my roof, you will follow my rules.  If you don't follow my rules, you will have to pay consequences.  If you don't like the consequences, you are free to leave at any time."  It's that simple!

Anyway, as I stuck with the program, I tried to give this "Christianity" thing a serious try, and started praying and reading my bible daily.  Before I knew it, God had healed my body and my mind.  I was a new person by the time I left that program.  I never "worshipped" or "served" Teen Challenge while I was in the program, I was encouraged and learned how to "worhsip" and "serve" God.  That's it.

If you're still reading this, I have long been removed from Teen Challenge.  I am no longer affiliated with the program in any way.  But because of that "Cult," I have now been sober for 6 years, and have a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters.  I'm a pretty decent husband, father, and man.   I attend church every Sunday, and pay my taxes.  I have a great job working for the US Army.  Basically, I'm now a normal person, and my family - who couldn't trust me as far as they could throw me when I was addicted to drugs - loves me more than ever before.  Teen Challenge did all of that for me.  If that's what a "cult" is, then I encouraged anyone with a life-controlling addiction to find the nearest cult, and get involved as soon as possible!  God Bless!