Author Topic: Julian Youth Academy employee arrested in death of baby  (Read 25205 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Julian leader backs school; recent death of..."
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Julian leader backs school; recent death of infant has drawn criticism" (by Alayna Shulman; November 19, 2011; Record Searchlight), #s 41-48:

wdtony writes: November 21, 2011 2:13 a.m.
    I am convinced by reading about this program that it is definitely a CULT. I was in a teen rehabilitation cult for 2 years. It took me 19 years to face the psychological trauma I had from that place. Cult leaders always whine and play the victim when the real victims of the Cult speak out about abuses. It's the same with child molesters, rapists and criminals in positions of authority. Why did the girl kill her poor child? Probably due to the brainwashing that goes unseen in Cults. Here's my site if anyone is interested, there's legislation aimed at stopping these kinds of Cult programs:
http://www.pfctruth.com/governmentlegislation.htm[/list]
33432 writes: November 21, 2011 8:50 a.m.
    Why would anybody even bother to go there if they are not accredited? Seems like a waste of time and money. So you go there, and so what, you still have to start over at some other school to get a diploma. What a joke. I hope this newspaper stays on this, as it does not appear that all is on the up and up...
Lillybee writes: November 21, 2011 10:12 a.m.
      in response to
    33432:
      Why would anybody even bother to go there if they are not accredited? Seems like a waste of time and money. So you go there, and so what, you still have to start over at some other school to get a diploma. What a joke. I hope this newspaper stays on this, as it does not appear that all is on the up and up...
    [/list][/size]I don't believe that the girls choose to go there.
    They are placed there by their parents who believe that the girl needs help. The parents have been told that the girls will get a decent education.
    I know that in other schools like this, all contact between girls and parents are moderated.
    For example when and if they call make a phone call home a staff member sits next to them and listens in. The same thing usually goes for visits.[/list]
    Good_Ol_Boy writes: November 21, 2011 11:03 a.m.
      This article is nothing but smoke and mirrors...how they hell do you not notice someone getting bigger and bigger over ten months. Please!!!

This sounds more and more like another Penn State! Investigation please! Ludwig is a former cop who knows how to talk to other cops. Sounds fishy to me!
    chepe writes: November 21, 2011 12:58 p.m.
      The school is a complete psychological and emotional tool designed to take money from parents in relation to their troubled teens. Sometimes these places work, many times they create more problems instead.

I bet that none of these young woman at the school knew about being able to turn in their unwanted child; it woouldn't surprise me if the school purposely held back this type of information since it may be contrary to their beliefs.

Yes, another reason to keep abortion legal. Otherwise we as a society end up with to many stupid parents who can't control their kids, and over and over and over.....
    Mabus2012 writes: November 21, 2011 2:47 p.m.
      I agree, Keep Digging Shulman! Stay on this. Something is not right about this CEO who can't even recall who he is accredited by or how many former students he employs. Another fishy thing, did anyone catch how he said that he teaches girls to not complain all the time/make themselves as victims, but then two statements later he says that girls can come to the staff/employees there about anything? That doesnt add up. I can see the mix message that sends, and Im not a teenage girl. Something is not right about this place or this CEO. I googled Julian Youth Academy out of interest and found this:
    http://projects.latimes.com/schools/sch ... h-academy/

That is a link to a former student bringing these issues up to Phil Ludwig back in 2007 or 2008. There is some interesting stuff on that link. There is no way Phil Ludwig can act like he is surprised by these complaints. This isn't the first time these complaints by former students have been made. Good reporting, A. Shulman. You smell a story, and so do we! Stay on it![/list]
    BeeBirdy writes: November 21, 2011 5:15 p.m.
      Phil Ludwig is lying. Physical labor is a regular punishment, at least when I attended the school. Isolation was huge. The "school" has a lot of shady things going on. The girls that have been affected by the program psychologically have been voicing it for YEARS. The only reason why it is getting any attention right now is because this tragedy has stirred up strong, unresolved emotions that are hard to contain. JYA needs to be investigated thoroughly. I have experienced trauma in my life as a result of this program. I am proud of Dionne for making the comments she did, although I must point out that she did not contact this reporter, but vice versa. I think the article sounds biased towards the school, and for that I am upset. Our feelings are valid, and should be heard. I have so many emotions on the subject, from rage to deep sadness. I agree with Dionne that it is like a cult, and no one will understand unless you've been in our shoes.
    efman writes: December 11, 2011 9:51 a.m.
      The JYA website is active again (fyi).
    http://www.teenrescue.com/faqs/

I found this topic yesterday evening at OpLiberation http://paper.li/opliberation1/1319966689 and see many similarities with other abuse cases in California.

Abuse rejoices in silence.

To the organized abusers involved in Julian Youth Academy and their affiliates, I see you.

To the survivors who are standing up and coming forward, I am proud of you.[/list]

© 2011 Record Searchlight.
    « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Julian Youth Academy - LA Times "archive" of comments 1
    « Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
    From the above comments, emphasis added:

Mabus2012 writes: November 21, 2011 2:47 p.m.
        I agree, Keep Digging Shulman! Stay on this. Something is not right about this CEO who can't even recall who he is accredited by or how many former students he employs. Another fishy thing, did anyone catch how he said that he teaches girls to not complain all the time/make themselves as victims, but then two statements later he says that girls can come to the staff/employees there about anything? That doesnt add up. I can see the mix message that sends, and Im not a teenage girl. Something is not right about this place or this CEO.
      I googled Julian Youth Academy out of interest and found this: http://projects.latimes.com/schools/sch ... h-academy/

That is a link to a former student bringing these issues up to Phil Ludwig back in 2007 or 2008.
      There is some interesting stuff on that link. There is no way Phil Ludwig can act like he is surprised by these complaints. This isn't the first time these complaints by former students have been made. Good reporting, A. Shulman. You smell a story, and so do we! Stay on it![/list][/list][/size]
      Here's that excellent archive, so to speak, of comments on Julian Youth Academy from the Los Angeles Times... Fwiw, this collection of comments was apparently started back when JYA was still located near Julian, CA.

In light of the subject of this here thread, the concerns voiced by a number of former JYA students and parents re. the very minimal professional qualifications necessary for someone to become staff there, as well as the so-called training they receive, is all the more tragic in retrospect.

California Schools Guide
      Julian Youth Academy
      (CONFIDENTIAL PER SDE'S CONSENT) 11800 Central Avenue, Suite 123, Chino, 91710

PRIVATE grades 6-12

Enrollment: 43
        Student body
        • Enrollment: 43 students
          Source: 2009, 2010 state data
        [/li]
      Student-Teacher Ratio: 2:1
        Faculty
        • Total teachers: 22
          [li]Student-teacher ratio: 2:1
          Source: 2008, 2009 state data
        [/li]

--------------------------

Comments about Julian Youth Academy, #s 1-20

— Christine James · October 14, 2008 at 9:36 p.m.
        Former Student: According to my eye-witness account, the institution's weaknesses are as follows:

They follow a strict punishment/reward system based on the student's behavior that could be viewed as controversial.

They specialize in behavior modification therapy, however, none of the staff to-date are accredited or licensed counselors, social workers, or psychologist. Many of the staff are under the age of 30. Most ranging in closer proximity to the students age than anything else. Many staff members do not even have a college education.

The program has been adapted from other boarding placement, and behavior modification programs, to which they add other ways of teaching that works best for their circumstances. State, and local government regulation is seriously limited.

Some punishments include isolation, where a child is to go without speaking, looking at, or interacting in any way with other people for a period of time ranging from 24 hours to a month. Other punishments include excessive cleaning, shoveling dirt or digging large holes, over-exertion in exercise such as running until sick. The girls are also required to eat excessive amounts of food and many graduate from the program with a BMI that puts them in the percentile of obesity.

Other behavior modification is used such as writing Biblical verses to excess regardless of your religion, culture, or denomination.

Events from the "outside" world are forbidden in most cases to be discussed or viewed. There is no discussion allowed about politics, other religions outside Christianity, music, art, etc. The curriculum in school is based of Alpha and Omega home studies and many girls are witnessed to be behind in education after they graduate.

The emotional distress caused by the program is evident and outrageous. In some cases, pregnant children are forced to live there against their will and are provided with the very minimal legal requirement of health care.

Other health care concerns have been raised by former parents and students. Physicals and check-ups are not done by a doctor of a parent or child's choosing and are often not granted at all.

There is a lack for basic rights to privacy such as surveillance cameras in the girls dormitory and monitors used to listen in on conversations in the girls private quarters. Upon arrival, girls are not allowed to use the bathroom facilities with the door closed. Even a staff is placed in front of the door. I've witnessed this lead to humiliation and nervousness in the girls. Some girls will hold back their need to use the restroom due to embarrassment, thus creating internal problems which go untreated although often complained about.

I would sum up my biggest complaint about the school by saying for a school to claim to deal specifically with psychological and emotional behavior in teenage girls, they have very limited resources or accreditation to treat such cases.
      — Phil Ludwig · October 20, 2008 at 12:53 p.m.
        I am responding to the "former student's" eye-witness account posted on October 14, 2008. It appears that the person that submitted this post does not wish to be known for we have never had a student at our school with the name of Christine James.
        Point #1: None of the consequences that students experience are any different than those used at public schools. We do not use corporal punishment in any way, shape or form. We do not use scripture as punishment. So as to the "strict" punishment that the writer claimed could be controversial, this is just not true.
        Point #2: We are a private school with a registered State Board of Education affidavit. We are a Federal and State non-profit 501(c3) corporation. We are accountable to our accreditation bureau, which holds us to a state legislated standard for all of the school curriculum which we use.
        Point #3: We do not use isolation for ANY length of time as discipline for our students. We remove students from inappropriate circumstances or situations, not unlike any public school would do, to protect our student body. We do not have students shoveling dirt or digging holes. We do not abuse any of our students by making them run until they are sick. We do not require the students to eat more than they are comfortable eating.
        Point #4: We do not EVER use the
        Bible as a means for discipline. In regards to outside world contact being forbidden, we involve our students by going to museums, to the lake for water-skiing trips, and to public restaurants for meals.
        Point #5: In the history of our school, we have accepted 3 pregnant teenagers. In every case, the experience was wonderful and there was never any legal or medical resources withheld from the expectant students.
        Point #6: We have never refused or withheld medical care from any of our students. We are extremely conservative and if a student says they are ill, even if we suspect that the illness might be feigned by the student, we always treat the complaint as legitimate and act appropriately for the protection of the student.
        Point #7: There are no surveillance cameras in any inappropriate location throughout the school campus.

Although this was an obvious attempt to disparage us and what we do, we are a caring Christian school for kids who need redirection. We would encourage you to go to our website at
      http://www.teenrescue.com and determine for yourself who speaks the truth.

Sincerely,

Phil Ludwig, Founder and CEO
      Teen Rescue, Inc.[/list]
      — SUSAN · October 22, 2008 at 9:25 a.m.
        I would just like to speak my mind to Christine James. My name is Susan and I am a parent of a student who is currently in the program. I am very upset and disturbed that you would make comments like that. My daughter like most teenagers these days led a very troubling life and it was not getting better. She was very rebellious, her grades were horrible and school was nothing more than a social gathering, and at the age of 15 she could do it all by her self. My husband and I realized that we just couldn't go on this way and we were losing our daughter. Everything we did just made things worse and we were doomed. We decided that this was bigger then us and we needed help. By the grace of God I found this program called "Julian Youth Academy" and I knew this was the answer to my prayers. Don't get me wrong I looked at other programs, I called each one and did my homework I just kept coming back to Julian. So, once the decision was made to send her to Julian. Then I had to put them under the microscope and check them out. I called parents of former and current students, I also talked to a graduated student and just knew this is the place. My husband and I toured the campus and talked to about 5 girls and asked as many questions as we could think of. I was crying the whole time, and the only thing I could think of was, if my daughter would change at least half of what these girls in front of me were then I would be more then happy. So we did send her and it was the hardest thing that we ever did. The worst thing that ever happened to my family was actually best thing that ever happened to us. My daughter has been in the program almost 9 months, and the change we see in her is the most exciting thing that we have ever experienced. I wish that every parent with a troubled teenager would have the pleasure of sending thier daughter to Julian.

Christine, as to your so called eye-witness accounts I also seen the girls digging with a shovel, they were planting beautifull flowers. And yes they do eat very well, 3 balanced meals a day, every teenager should be so lucky to eat like these girls. My daughter is actually eating vegetables, salads, drinking milk and having fruit on a daily basis. So I think you should be ashamed of yourself for writing such nonsense and get out of the way of a good thing. And as for the staff being under the age of 30 thats not all true but some are, and I feel that thats a good thing. My daughter loves the staff at Julian. The last time I checked, being the age of 25 to 30 is considered an adult.For parents reading this who feel there is no hope for you I strongly suggest you look into this program. The staff at Julian are amazing, I beleive that this place is trully Heaven Sent. I also am more than willing to speak to any one that has questions, especially a parent who is looking for answers. If you call the program they will let you know how to get in contact with me.

Sincerly,
        Susan
        A happy parent
      — Rachael · October 26, 2008 at 3:21 p.m.
        PART ONE:
        Thank you Susan, I couldn't have said it better myself as a parent. My name is Rachael and my daughter also attends Julian Youth Academy. It isn't fair to share the things my daughter was doing, but I will share what my beautiful daughter went through prior to me sending her to JYA.
        My daughter experienced rejection and abandonment. Her father and step-father had been absent from her life, so therefore, there was no male figure for her to look up too. She strived to be different from others in order to get attention. She also felt that physical pain would shield her emotional pain. There was no stability for her, and she chose other outlets outside of her home. Of course, she never felt at home. Nothing was ever good enough for her.
        Since Susan gave you a parent's opinion of the school, I'll share some of the things my daughter has shared.
        CHRISTINA states, "They follow a strict punishment/reward system based on the student's behavior that could be viewed as controversial." My daughter has shared some of the strict punishments she has been on. One is writing lines, which I currently incorporate in my own home with my other child. I tell you, it's child-abuse. Especially since my daughter at home has gone almost a month from getting an infraction for talking in class after completing 25 lines of "I will not talk in class unless given permission." Another "strict punishment" my daughter has received is RC (restricted conversation). I can see how that could be so strict considering she is a teen-age girl. I'd would've preferred the paddle myself. However, on the positive aspect, it does teach us to think before we speak. I wonder if CHRISTINA has ever stuck her foot in her mouth? CHRISTINA states, "Some punishments include isolation, where a child is to go without speaking, looking at, or interacting in any way with other people for a period of time ranging from 24 hours to a month". Okay CHRISTINA, seriously now. You make it sound like they are placing you in the "box" at prison. My daughter has been unaccountable at times with another student, so therefore, isn't allowed to speak with that student. Unaccountability leads to irresponsibility. We place our daughters there to help them grow, not to fall into the same traps that forced us to place them there in the first place. CONTINUED
      — Rachael · October 26, 2008 at 3:27 p.m.
        PART TWO
        CHRISTINA states, "Other punishments include excessive cleaning, shoveling dirt or digging large holes, over-exertion in exercise such as running until sick." Let's see, my daughter is now helping with chores at home, and she can do the splits. Before the program? She wouldn't help at all with chores, and exercise? Maybe if walking down the stairs for food, sleeping, or walking around the mall count as exercise. I could understand how doing dishes and planting flowers could be tough. And to actually have to run a mile or hike up a hill? Torture I tell you, absolute torture. CHRISTINA states, "The girls are also required to eat excessive amounts of food and many graduate from the program with a BMI that puts them in the percentile of obesity." WOW, a healthy diet vs. fast food. Is excessive eating 3 meals a day? Not to mention, girls can choose to eat "optionals" which gives them the opportunity to say "No". My daughter stopped eating optionals and has lost weight and is almost pimple free. CHRISTINA states, "Events from the "outside" world are forbidden in most cases to be discussed or viewed. There is no discussion allowed about politics, other religions outside Christianity, music, art, etc. The curriculum in school is based of Alpha and Omega home studies and many girls are witnessed to be behind in education after they graduate." The "outside" world promoted the girls getting to the "inside" world to begin with. When I was a teenager, I wasn't able to vote on politics until I was 18. And all that Christian mumbo jumbo. Ah phooey. It all talks about love and good morals. Why would we possibly want that instilled in our girls? CHRISTINA states, "There is a lack for basic rights to privacy such as surveillance cameras in the girls dormitory and monitors used to listen in on conversations in the girls private quarters." I've seen the surveillance cameras you are talking about. They are pointed right to the door entrances. Not the bathroom door, not the changing area, and not the beds. Hmmm, isn't this for safety? There is nothing more precious than having a sexual predator sneak into the room while the girls are in the dining hall. I do know they have monitors too. The girls know about it so it is up to them to be accountable. AGAIN do I need to point out why they are there to begin with?
        I love this school. It is the best thing that could've happened to my family. If you want to speak with me, please contact Teen rescue and they will give you my information.
        My quote, "If you had a beautiful 67 Ford Mustang, would you take care of the knock or wait for the engine to blow? If your daughter is knocking, open the door before you loose her for good."
      — Christine James · November 4, 2008 at 7:31 p.m.
        A response to Phil: PART ONE

There may have never been a Christine James. I've been married for quite sometime now.

I am not surprised by your rebuttal, you being the CEO and creator of the program. I am surprised, however, by your blatant disregard for the truth. So let me point them out in the same sequence you used.

Point #1: You said "None of the consequences that students experience are any different than those used at public schools. We do not use corporal punishment in any way, shape or form. We do not use scripture as punishment. So as to the "strict" punishment that the writer claimed could be controversial, this is just not true.
        --- Let me start by saying, I never once said you use "corpal punishment." I find it hard to believe you think of the forms of punishment you use as not "strict." Lets start by listing some punishments you use: "No Talk" Which is when you take away speaking privileges. Unless your program has changed very recently, this would include the girls right to talk to other students, talk to staff, and talk to parents. They also may not make eye contact with, smile, or have any non-verbal communication with anyone for a period of time - The girl could be on "No Talk" for a day to a month, until you deem their behavior has changed. I don't believe that is a form of punishment that a "public" school would use. Another punishment would be having the girl write "lines" while on No Talk. Some of these lines, at least when I went there, were biblical verses or sentences about God. In fact, I still have some of the biblical lines I was given while in the program. I'd be happy to mail them to you. Another form of punishment would be putting a girl in her pajamas if she tries to run away. Normally that would accompany receiving lines and No Talk at the same time. Another punishment would be having a girl run laps, or up and down stairs for a specific number of times ranging from 25 to 100. All these, Phil, are not forms of punishment used in public school. And therein lies your first falsehood.
        Point #2: No lie there. I will withdraw my issue, although I still that you should be more closely monitored due to the fact you are a behavior modification school.
        Point #3: You said you do not use any type of isolation. If this is true, we must have different views on how a girl feels when she is put on "No Talk." I'm sure you have never been on No Talk before, but I have. I was isolated from the other students for 3 weeks. During this time I was not allowed to speak, interact, or even smile at another person in the program. I am sure we could take this form of punishment to a couple of licensed psychologists and see how they view it. I have already seen 3 in the past few years. All of them have viewed that as isolation.
      — Christine James · November 4, 2008 at 7:40 p.m.
        Point #4: You do use the Bible as form of punishment, in ways I have already explained above. As far as taking the girls to outside Museums and to Lake Perris, those are limited and heavily monitored excursions. Are the girls allowed to speak to anyone outside the program? Are they allowed to talk about anything other than Christian Music? Christian TV shows or programs? Anything other than Christian books? Are they allowed to speak about what they believe in - in regards to political choices they might want to start expressing at that age, or other religions they are interested in? Not when I was there.
      — Christine James · November 4, 2008 at 7:48 p.m.
        Point #5: I find it appalling that you had 3 pregnant girls there against their will. Can you provide proof that everything went off without problems? Could these girls provide us with some kind of testimony? Would you agree with my opinion that JYA is an emotionally tense and trying place? And you would subject a pregnant young girl to a behavior modification program? Was she informed of her right to go home? Did she have the right to go home and raise her baby how she saw fit? Did you ever put a pregnant girl on "No Talk?" I know of one of those girls, and she tells me otherwise. I'll ask if she would like to submit her testimony.
      — Christine James · November 4, 2008 at 8:01 p.m.
        Point #6: I know of three girls that had major surgery to treat a problem that was left untreated at JYA. Once again, I'll get permission from these girls to share their stories. I'm sure they'd love to.
        Point #7: Were there ever surveillance cameras in the girls dormitory before the Julian Fire? What were the reasons for those cameras? Is it not true that you monitor each girls room to listen in on their conversations?

I am not trying to ruin your reputation here, Phil. I am only stating facts based on my eyewitness account. I have no reason to lie. I went to the program, and I graduated the program. I kept contact with many, many girls who were there with me. I see what many have become. And a very high percentage of them either became pregnant right away, or they became suicidal. Most became heavy drug users. All are affected to this day. I am an adult now, and I've had time to reflect on my time there with the wisdom and knowledge I have learned through both college and life in general. I believe the place is harmful to the psychological and emotional well-being of a young girl. And most importantly, I believe it is irresponsible that you run a behavior modification program without even having a child psychologist on the daily staff. Which, by the way, was my main point in my first post, and the only point you did not refute.
      — Chistine James · November 4, 2008 at 8:43 p.m.
        PART ONE To both the parents who responded above:
        Look, I feel your irritation. Who wants to hear negative things about a school they paid good money for to help "heal" their unruly or even dangerous daughter?
        I am not some young kid taking a stab at a program I resented. I am an adult who went there as a child and can bear witness to the events that took place while I was there and how it affects me to this day.
        The bottom line is this, you parents are not there everyday. You don't know that when a parent comes to tour the facility the girl who speaks to them must be on their best behavior. You aren't there when the girls are crying for days on end out of a sense of abandonment. You want a trained kid who doesn't act up at home? Well congratulations, you'll probably get one... for awhile. I am sure JYA teaches great things to the parents who go to the monthly meetings. I've read Phil's blog, and you know what? I think its great! I think its informative and has some nice techniques on how to deal with teens. But while you sit in that meeting and learn these wonderful things, your little girl is far away from you in a program with a bunch of other little girls who miss their families and will learn anything they can to get out. I was a great student at JYA. I was a great kid when I left. I refused to process what happened to me there until a little later on in life. And when I finally did, it wasn't pretty. This program teaches girls that their value is based on an eval/point system. They made the bed. 10 points. They did their daily devotions. Another 10. They didn't act up on parent visit. They were respectful. 10. 10. But what does it teach them about their personalities? Well, in my experience and with consulting with other girls there it taught us that we were manipulators, what we cared about was insignificant, and the only way to get through the program is to please the ones in control of it. ---You want to know what it feels like to be placed in a program and have your progress and your value based on a point system? Go down to the annual dog show in San Diego. Watch the rewards they get for obeying. In the end, you are going to lose your daughter. But you'll have a great pet.
      — Christine James · November 4, 2008 at 8:44 p.m.
        --Maybe thats a bit harsh. So let me at least leave you with this: I can give you at least 60 names of girls who graduated JYA and lived well for a couple years. That same number has gone on to either join gangs, do hardcore drugs, have children, have abortions, not talk to their parents, have social anxiety disorders, have abandonment issues, get involved in dangerous relationships with men, the list goes on. There are many flaws in that program. If I must name the greatest one its this: What special license do these people have? What actual psychological merit do they have to treat these girls? What training? These are girls who come in troubled and/or hurt. These are girls that need real help. Putting them in a group of other girls all like them and letting someone else raise them will not help. It will harm. Most of these staff are not college graduates, social/clinical health workers, psychologist or even parents!. What the heck do they know about whats good for your child?
      — Former "student," survivor, mother · November 6, 2008 at 3:11 p.m.
        As humans, we have fundamental and basic rights. This is the founding principle behind every free society, democracy and the US Constitution. Rights are not something that we must beg for, or that are subject to the whim of any government or authorities but are things that we are entitled to. In their most simple form, human rights are those basic standards without which people cannot live in dignity.

Human rights also extend to children. Children are not the property of their parents, and their rights cannot be revoked at a parent's whim or due to their parent's religious beliefs, ignorance or even callous disregard. The parent's rights do not supersede those of their child. A child is a person and not a sub-person. They have a name and an identity that belongs only to them.

"NO MINOR MATTER" © 2007 by Teen Advocates USA and Barbe Stamps. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------

I am a survivor of a faith-based residential treatment center called Julian Youth Academy, located in the mountains of San Diego, CA. Although the extent of my abuse was psychological and emotional, I consider the damage to me as harmful as any other form of abuse, such as physical abuse. Broken bones may heal in 6-8 weeks, but hearts sometimes never heal.

My goal has been to legally support the regulation of private institutions. I want private institutions that house children (minors) to be held accountable to the same basic civil laws that public institutions are, such as access to advocacy. There lies a problem with regulation and accountability in private institutions.

The scars that “programs” inflict are not seen on the outside or on one's skin. They go much deeper. With respect to what daughters and children go through at home and in life--I believe that those experiences are necessary in order to reach maturity, which is the ability for a young adult to make decisions on their own. I believe that programs not only prolong this important part of social development, but that they cause sometimes irreversible damage to a person with the isolation and lack of trust or belief which programs like Julian Youth Academy’s staff encourages: thinks is "helping."

I believe children should be seen, heard, and most importantly, believed.
        (cont'd)
      — JYA survivor · November 6, 2008 at 3:13 p.m.
        (cont'd) Here is the exact truth about my personal experience. Nothing is falsified or exaggerated. I am a real person who feels obligated to share my experience in effort to expose the truth about this program. I support Senator Miller’s bill H.R. 6358, Stop Child Abuse in Residential Programs for Teens Act of 2008.

My Testimony:

At 14 years old, I was awakened on a cold August morning at 5am to strangers who forced me to either dress in front of them or remain in the scant pajamas I was in. I chose the latter for obvious privacy reasons. I was not granted permission to use the restroom, or any other personal hygiene habits before what I was told would be "a long trip." My younger brother was asleep, and I would not get to see, write to, or talk to him until a year later. My older sister, I will never forget, stared into my eyes with such sadness and intensity that I was stricken to muteness and shock for the entirety of the 6 hour car ride to Julian, CA. I knew not that I would also not have contact with her, nor family other than my mother and father, for about a year.

As the escorts asked me if I knew or wanted to know where they were taking me, I remained in shock and was unable to speak or express needs to these strangers.

Upon arrival, I remained in “intake” status for almost nine hours, refusing to dress and demanding that I should get one phone call, “Even criminals get a phone call.” I was not a criminal, nor was I ever involved in using drugs or alcohol, promiscuity, or otherwise physically harmful behavior. I was a victim of a statutory rape crime, and the perpetrator is now walking the streets! Due to the emotional trauma that caused and the abandonment I felt from my parents not seeking understanding from me, retrospectively I hold to the fact that I “rebelled” as mildly as any “normal,” healthy teenager would.

During my imprisonment at Julian Youth Academy (aka JYA), which was a period of fifteen months and sixteen days, I was treated like property through lack of sympathy, lack of care for emotional needs, lack of care for health needs, constant disbelief from staff and directors and punishment for expressing my human and health needs, lack of anyone to trust, zero advocacy, and lack of experienced and trained staff.
      — JYA survivor · November 6, 2008 at 3:14 p.m.
        (cont'd)
        When taken down from 4,000 ft elevation to 3,000 ft to attend mandatory church services every Sunday for fifteen plus months, I would suffer from debilitating and extremely painful migraines. The first two Sundays, I was given no more than 400mg of Tylenol each instance, which was 200-400mg less than the recommended dosage for my weight and age at the time. The third time I was suffering from these migraines, I was denied medicinal relief of any kind, was told I was manipulating staff for merely requesting medicine, and was verbally forced to stop crying or making any noises or movements in attempts to relieve or take my mind off the excruciating pain. I was never granted medicinal relief for the remaining fifteen months, and was forced to suffer in silence with the threat of punishment if I ever asked for medicine for my headaches again. I know that had I had access to an object that could puncture, I surely would have punctured my brain just to relieve the blood from my head. Seeing and reading about the sufferings and numerous deaths of children under the “care” of treatment facilities, my suffering seems humble, but valid nonetheless.

2. The other regulation I’d like to emphasize is the need for one or more neutral, medically or otherwise qualified third-party evaluation(s) prior to admittance of a child (US resident under the age of 18) into a residential or non-residential private treatment center. The reasoning behind this is that parents do not always know how to approach their children when a problem is suspected or have the courage or rapport with their children to do so anyway. A neutral and qualified third party evaluation can significantly bridge the gap of communication between parent and child, and can positively influence the parents’ ultimate decision to be an appropriate one.
        (cont'd)
      — JYA survivor · November 6, 2008 at 3:15 p.m.
        (cont'd) I have forgotten, by choice and through determination of self, a lot of what happened at JYA. Happenings were not easy to push out of my mind, and it took years to do so. I do remember as clearly as it was at the time, the cloud of fogginess in my head and in my heart following leaving the program. My brain had fully disassociated with true reality because of the false reality that took place within the walls of the program. I was lost. It would be years before I could be alone in a room or even a public place without having a panic attack. I also suffered from panic attacks when in environments that shouldn't have been socially overwhelming, like a baseball game or the city college. I had to start from scratch, as if the program literally re-programmed me (Its no wonder why they call it that) and none of my software was in yet. I walked like a zombie, not knowing what windows to open to get where I needed or wanted to go. Its like they erased all my drivers (for those of you who don't know about computers, those are what run each program). So I knew where I wanted to go, but was emotionally, mentally, physically unable to connect where I was to where I needed to be. I was always an A student before the program, now I was finding it difficult to take regular college classes that would have been a breeze for me if I hadn't been "dumbed-down" by the lack of trained professionals present at the "school." 90% of my school-related questions (the only questions we were allowed to ask) were unanswerable by the "teachers"--most staff had little more than high school education.

I was emotionally detached. I was unable to feel love for my parents, even when I tried. My younger brother and I grew apart, when previously we were the two playing cars in the dirt together. My sister has always been here for me, and I can truly say that without her love and support, I would not be where I am today. I had much difficulty in relationships, and felt uncomfortable around people in general. Because I was never able to stand up for myself and be assertive in my needs, those needs went unmet in my marriage which of course led to periods of marital separation. I suffered from not only the panic attacks (sometimes total loss of consciousness) I mentioned, but sexual difficulty as well, which had to do with my past abuse (only the statutory rape, no other family or other sexual abuse) but more so the fact that I never received professional help for healing for that trauma.
        (cont'd)
      — JYA survivor, mother · November 6, 2008 at 3:18 p.m.
        (cont'd)
        My physical health covered up the damage inside. I smiled for years after the program while crying on the inside, because that was the only "coping" method I knew how to do. I had carried that same smile for the last 15 and one half months.

These are some conditions of the facility, and some of the rules I can remember:

1. No freedom of speech

2. Calisthenic punishment for minor infractions, such as forgetting water bottle or looking at other student you were not allowed to talk to ("no talk")

3. Forced eating

4. Monitored communication in all forms
        -letters were to be handed to staff without closure, to allow for strict monitoring and alteration, up to and including having to re-write as many times as necessary to fit the standard of what was allowed to be written to parents NOTHING "considered "negative" against the program was allowed at any time
        -phone calls were "earned" and only after four months, to parents only, completely monitored, staff would hang up if anything negative about the program was said
        -parent visits on campus were constantly monitored closely by staff (conversations required staff presence), and parents were required to tell staff if daughter spoke negatively in any way about the program.

5. Bathroom resrictions, inadequate facilities during school hours (one double bathroom to 30+ girls), only two girls allowed to use restroom at a time, which was a walk to and from the facility 100 ft away, next buddy group unable to ask until the last group came back. (sometimes we'd have to wait 45 or more minutes to use the restroom)

6. Continuous student cleaning. we did all maintenace of grounds, including chopping trees, which gave me bloody, blistered hands. Raking each and every single leaf of large forest or endure punishment. Extreme cleaning standards. all cleaning done by students. Staff did for a short time upon my arrival, help with cleaning/chores, but then staff was not permitted to help per superior staff.
        (cont'd)
      — JYA survivor, mother · November 6, 2008 at 3:19 p.m.
        (cont'd)
        7. Students were held responsible for other student's failures to follow rules. Low level students were spoken for by higher leveled students. Low level students were not allowed to speak directly to staff unless spoken to or if higher leveled student asked for them to speak with a staff member. Low level students were restricted from speaking to (in any form of communication, including glancing) other students who had not yet attained a certain level of the program.

8. No treatment for individual issues. Speaking about issues were not allowed until staff approved (average length of stay before allowed to speak about issues at home or personal issues: 8-9 months). All students were regarded as manipulative, untrustworthy children (all students were over the age of 13) who deserved no respect and were not regarded as individuals.

9. Forced attendance of church services.

10. I was forced to grate blocks of cheese until I had blisters on my hands.

11. Denied proper medication. Medication not dispensed by licensed or qualified medical personnel.

12. Forced calisthenics in mountainous terrain, hills so inclined and at such high altitudes (4,000 ft) that I was nauseous, dizzy, and felt like I was going to faint (I'm not sure how I didn't). I believe this was part of the mental breakdown prior to and during brainwashing.

13. Not permitted to speak with siblings until a certain level (usually after one year), and only if those siblings supported the program. I never saw my sister, who felt what my parents did to me was wrong, the entire time of being held at the program. I was not allowed to write siblings or grandparents or any other immediate family, only parents.

14. Never permitted to communicate with friends at home.

15. Not allowed to express creativity, such as drawing or musical instruments, until reaching a certain level (usually about 4-6 months after admittance, and only if you attained that level). No "secular" (non-Christian) music, and music was only played in the car in the way to church.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Most rules were mild, and punishment did not include physical abuse reported in other programs. What is wrong about this and all other programs in this class is the brainwashing tactic. The mental and verbal abuse and conditioning, and monotonous strict schedule conformed us into thinking that everything was okay, and that we would have died if we hadn't been sent there. The threat which stopped me and probably most others was the fact that we'd get sent to the physically abusive programs if we did not comply.
        (cont'd)
      — JYA survivor, mother · November 6, 2008 at 3:20 p.m.
        (cont'd) Girls there are not allowed to talk to each other very much. A girl is on what's called "no talk" (no communication whatsoever, including gestures and eye contact) automatically for the first 4-5 days. She can only tell her "up buddy" (a girl who has been there a certain amount of time and has achieved a certain level in the level system they use) if there's a need to use the restroom, or wants to talk to a staff member. Those first 4-5 days is when you're supposed to observe the rules and are expected to know and follow ALL rules after that time is over. However, this is really difficult because you cannot talk or be spoken to. right after those first days, you get off "no talk." and are allowed to talk to your own up-buddy (everyone is either an up buddy or a down buddy depending on the level achieved) and she is supposed to tell you all the rules. If you have a bad up buddy (isn't helping you at all) then you won't know the rules and will go punished a lot because you are then expected to know and follow them. Another person's up buddy is not allowed to help another person's down buddy with rules.

The level system goes A-L3. A is the first 4-5 days of no talk. after that, girls go to B automatically. C-J are levels where they receive "privileges" (I would call them rights) back. for instance, you cannot draw pictures until you are on D. you get to use stickers on level C. I can't remember what you get on E. plus these might have changed a bit, and can be revoked at any time for an individual (i.e. if staff thinks you're drawing "too much" at their discretion they will take that "privilege" away without notice or reason.), or for the whole group.

Once they get to level G, girls can talk to all the "down buddies." It's very difficult at first because you're not used to being discerning about who you can or can not talk to. in the real world, obviously you have the ability to choose who you want to talk to. You can also become an up buddy, and usually do at some point if staff thinks you're ready, at level G or H or so. Level F is one 15-20 minute phone call to the parent. They're not allowed to keep a journal until E or F, even then staff reads everything and they can't write friend's names and they can't talk about anything in your past unless it's positive. Things may have changed, but knowing the changes that were made shortly after I left, they must be less lenient.

When I was there, they did not have cameras, just speaker boxes in the corner of each room. Just before I left, they added cameras in each hallway and when I went back for "graduation" there were cameras in the rooms. I do not know if there are cameras in the bathrooms. As the place burned down a couple years ago, everything is new and I'm sure the technology has been updated.
        (cont'd)
      — JYA survivor, mother · November 6, 2008 at 3:21 p.m.
        (cont'd)
        The fact that JYA expects uncompromised, unquestioned dedication and commitment from parents is one of the scariest signs to me and is reflective of many cultist organizations. Personally, I question my doctors, my therapists, and any professionals recommending treatment or solutions for me. I believe it is my right to refuse treatment and my right to know the intentions of those professionals. As far as I know, they do not require parents to seek professional opinions regarding their child's mental, emotional, or physical state prior to acceptance of entry into the program. Programs telling parents "your child will die without us" is another very scary statement, and parents who are vulnerable (of course) and at their last ounce of emotional strength will believe them. I probably would, too, if I didn't know better.

This is where I stand, and I am not a professional but I am a mother. I am currently in an early childhood education class where I am learning a tremendous amount about children and humans as the social beings that we are. Because my parents were supportive and truly wanted the best for me, I believe that would have been enough, in addition to professional therapy, to get me through the non-violent trauma I endured as a teenager. I was a victim of a crime, and being sent away couldn’t have been further from the healing I needed. It was isolation at its worst, when all I needed was hugs, comfort, support no matter what mistakes I made, and unconditional love, especially from my parents and especially at times when I was hurt the most. Not receiving that affection due to being isolated at JYA has affected me in every single area of my life.
      — JYA survivor, mother · November 6, 2008 at 3:22 p.m.
        Tags for this letter

my perspective:
        youth
        now a parent who will NEVER pay to send my child to be raised by someone else, that is our responsibility as parents.
        concerned citizen

Program types:
        therapeutic boarding school
        behavior mod program
        faith-based program

reasons sent:
        family conflict
        breaking rules
        other issues (psychological trauma, rape)

experience in program:
        escort/transport service
        medical care
        facility conditions
        discipline
        privacy violations
        human rights violations
        abuse
        suffering
        no access to advocates

Copyright 2011 Los Angeles Times

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      x
      « Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
      x

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      x
      « Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 07:38:33 PM »
      x

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Hearing date set for woman accused of murdering her baby
      « Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 08:24:49 PM »
      The Record Searchlight
      Hearing date set for woman accused of murdering her baby

By Record Searchlight staff
      Posted December 16, 2011 at 11:22 a.m., updated December 16, 2011 at 11:22 a.m.

Bradford

A Thursday preliminary hearing date was set today in Shasta County Superior Court for a 23-year-old woman accused of starving her four-day-old baby to death.

A preliminary hearing for Jessica Nicole Bradford had been scheduled for earlier this week, but it was postponed because the sheriff's investigation into the case was still underway.

Bradford, who has pleaded not guilty, is charged with murder, child abuse and a related enhancement in connection with her infant daughter's death.

She remains in the Shasta County jail with bail set at $1 million,

Bradford was arrested on Nov. 7, a day after the baby's mummified body was found at the Julian Youth Academy in Whitmore when a school employee alerted authorities.

Bradford worked as a staff member at the private Christian boarding school for troubled teens.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Comments: "Hearing date set for woman accused of murdering..
      « Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
      Comments left for the above article, "Hearing date set for woman accused of murdering her baby" (by Record Searchlight staff; December 16, 2011; Record Searchlight):

taylorhartman writes: December 16, 2011 11:32 a.m.
        WOW!! How can someone sleep at night knowing that they killed there baby??? RIP baby
      seenufos writes: December 16, 2011 11:45 a.m.
        (This comment was removed by the site staff.)[/list]
        emeroldtriangle writes: December 16, 2011 11:50 a.m.
          Only one place left for her. Rhymes with smell.
        Bittersweet writes: December 16, 2011 noon
          Into the arms of the angels goes another innocent child. I wish I had the power to stop this. I wish I could have saved this baby.
        anotherview writes: December 16, 2011 12:46 p.m.
          If there was ever a reason for sterilization, she is it!
        emeroldtriangle writes: December 16, 2011 12:58 p.m.
            in response to
          anotherview:
            If there was ever a reason for sterilization, she is it!
          [/list][/size]What if we offered money rewards for women who chose to be fixed and not have kids. this would save us millions if not billions in the long run.[/list]
          Cynicalone writes: December 16, 2011 2:40 p.m.
              in response to
            emeroldtriangle:
              Only one place left for her. Rhymes with smell.
            [/list][/size]Shell? How about we leave the judgment to God.[/list]
            littlepinkhouses writes: December 16, 2011 6:37 p.m.
              My Almost Mother

You steal my life,
              I have no chance,
              I want to live,
              And find life's romance.

You strike me down,
              Do you have no soul?
              I thought you would love me,
              'Cause I love you so.

I call you mother,
              And father too,
              But you kill me,
              And it doesn't bother you.

Do you wonder what I would be,
              Do you wonder what I am,
              I wanted to be a football player,
              To be your little man.

My birthday was yesterday,
              The one you got to miss,
              But I'm up in Heaven,
              With all of death's gifts.

God loves me,
              I hope you love me too,
              But it doesn't look like it,
              Since I'm not there with you.

I hope you know I love you,
              I love you very much,
              But I wish you could hear my voice,
              And feel my baby touch.

My heart started to beat,
              When you killed me in cold blood,
              My ears started to hear your voice,
              It was a warming flood.

You felt me kick,
              You never heard me talk,
              How can you be so heartless,
              To not want to see your baby walk.

I'll never have a kid myself,
              Nor will my sister have a brother,
              I would have protected her,
              But you never protected me...

Goodbye now and forever...
              My Almost Mother.
            OnetoWatch writes: December 16, 2011 7:23 p.m.
              I am confused. So the hearing was today or it was set today for a later date?

I seriously wonder how they are building a defense for this girl. She already admitted to the crime! I hope the school isnt getting off scott free either. The way they did not call to report the murder for two days after finding the body is just disgusting.