Author Topic: Jerry Sandusky and The Second Mile  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Jerry Sandusky and The Second Mile
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
So... Jerry Sandusky apparently loved kids so much, that he founded The Second Mile group home in 1977... to help those less fortunate.

That might not have been the only reason.

Here's a portal page from which much of the material I'll be subsequently posting from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette can be accessed:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
PG coverage: The Sandusky Case

Former Penn State football defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, center, is taken into custody. He's accused of sexually abusing eight young men. Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General via AP

Pdf download: Sandusky grand jury presentment
(Contains graphic content)

Copyright ©1997 - 2011 PG Publishing Co., Inc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Former Penn State coach charged with assaulting teenage boy
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Former Penn State coach charged with assaulting teenage boy

Friday, November 04, 2011
The Associated Press

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Former longtime Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, known for his charitable work with at-risk children and helping establish the school's Linebacker U reputation, is facing charges stemming from an investigation that he indecently assaulted a teenage boy, newspapers reported Friday.

The Patriot-News of Harrisburg first reported that charges were filed against Sandusky, 67, and entered into the state court system's online docket. The charging papers, posted online by the newspaper, include involuntary deviate sexual intercourse of someone under 16, aggravated indecent assault of someone under 16, indecent assault of someone under 16, indecent assault of someone under 13, endangering the welfare of children and corruption of minors.

The paperwork listed a total of 40 counts as being filed in Centre County on Friday, with offenses dating back to 1996. A state police trooper was listed as the arresting officer.

However, the entry apparently disappeared from the court system's online docket later Friday, and a state police spokeswoman could not explain why. Court officials in Centre County said Friday they hadn't received the paperwork, and a spokesman for the state attorney general's office, which led the investigation, did not return repeated messages left by The Associated Press seeking comment.

The attorney general's office had been investigating Sandusky since 2009. Through a lawyer, Sandusky has maintained in the past that he is innocent. A telephone message left at the office of his lawyer on Friday afternoon by The Associated Press was not immediately returned.

The allegations surfaced in 2009 while Sandusky was a volunteer assistant high school football coach at Central Mountain High School in Clinton County, the Patriot-News first reported in March. The incidents were alleged to have taken place in Centre County.

The Patriot-News also has reported that state police called witnesses to a May 1998 report by Penn State police detailing an earlier allegation of inappropriate contact against Sandusky by another boy. No charges were ever filed against Sandusky.

Sandusky retired more than a decade ago after 32 years under coach Joe Paterno.

Sandusky, once considered a potential successor to Paterno, drew up the defenses for the Nittany Lions' national-title teams in 1982 and 1986.

Sandusky also has been lauded for his work with The Second Mile, a charitable organization he founded in 1977 to help at-risk children. He retired from the charity's board last year, and executive vice president Katherine Genovese said then that he had been scaling back his duties in recent years so that he could spend more time with family and deal with his personal life.

Officials at The Second Mile declined immediate comment Friday.

First published on November 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Copyright 2011 Associated Press.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky indicted on felony...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »
The Patriot-News out of Harrisburg, PA, actually broke the news first:

The Patriot-News
Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky indicted on felony charges of sex crimes against minors

Published: Friday, November 04, 2011, 2:26 PM
Updated: Sunday, November 06, 2011, 3:54 PM
By  SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News

Jerry Sandusky is carried off the field after his last game, a shutout victory over Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl. JOE HERMITT, The Patriot-News, 1999.

Sex abuse charges have been filed in Centre County against Penn State coaching legend and Second Mile charity founder Jerry Sandusky.

The charges follow a more-than two year grand jury investigation that began when a Clinton County teen alleged inappropriate contact against the 67-year-old former coach.

During the investigation, older allegations from 1998 surfaced as well. In the older case, Penn State police investigated inappropriate touching in a shower.

The charging paperwork has not yet made it to the District Magistrate Judge's office in Centre County. However, felony charges of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse of someone under 16, aggravated indecent assault, indecent assault of someone under 16, indecent assault of someone under 13, and corruption of minors charges have been filed in the state court docket system.

The offense dates include 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, and 2005. There are 40 counts included in the paperwork filed against him.

The Patriot-News first broke the story about the investigation in March, shortly after Penn State coach Joe Paterno testified before the the grand jury along with Penn State's interim senior vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley.

At one time, Sandusky was considered Paterno's likely successor. During his 32 years on the sidelines, the College Township, Centre County resident was credited with turning Penn State into Linebacker U and producing such pro football greats as Jack Ham and LaVar Arrington.

Sandusky retired from Penn State shortly after the Alamo Bowl in December 1999, and began devoting all of his time to running The Second Mile, a children’s charity he founded in 1977 that reaches 200,000 kids in this state each year through programs and camps.

Last fall, he retired from day-to-day involvement, saying he wanted to spend more time with family and handle personal matters.

Officials at the non-profit have repeatedly said The Second Mile will continue in its work to help children, despite the allegations made against Sandusky.

© 2011 PennLive LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky indicted..
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »
It appears that one or more of the initial comments have been moderated out...

Comments left for the above article, "Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky indicted on felony charges of sex crimes against minors" (by Sara Ganim; November 04, 2011; The Patriot-News), #s 1-20:

geeber  November 04, 2011 at 4:55PM
      The accusers weren't females...
    ChosenWun November 04, 2011 at 6:10PM
      "involuntary deviate sexual intercourse" explain that Geeber???????? certainly cant be boys and plus hes a Alpha male involved in a very Masculine Sport, football and revered by many Macho heterosexual testerone charged men who would not take orders or listen to a non straight hetero male.. i doubt he is Gay.
    skimmer51 November 05, 2011 at 6:22AM
      Such idiotic comments are beyond comprehension. The abused minors were all boys.
    [/list][/list]
      ces1974 November 04, 2011 at 5:05PM
        Disgusting comment; I feel for any female in your family tree. Blaming the victim is obviously the answer. Weiner, Spitzer, Schwarzenegger, Strauss-Kahn, Polanski: power & disgusting men are all around. The world of sports is just as seedy.
      ricknettles November 04, 2011 at 6:22PM
        Not that I agree with the original comment, but 'blaming the victim' and questioning the veracity of the victim are two different things.
      Jeff Lanolin November 04, 2011 at 9:05PM
        Have you guys ever heard of satire?
      smb2115 November 05, 2011 at 9:48AM
        Oh, that was supposed to be satire, but satire is funny. That comment wasn't funny.
      Jeff Lanolin November 05, 2011 at 11:43AM
        It is if you're smart enough to understand the humor in it.
      novahawk November 05, 2011 at 1:27PM
        Pamela Smart, Mary Kay Letourneau, Dr, Allison Hargrave, Stephanie Dickinson... the world of seedy, disgusting, scumbag predators is by no means the exclusive domain of men!
      karma November 05, 2011 at 8:14AM
        Do some research on sexual predators. You will find that they put themselves in positions that make it so hard to believe they are capable of such offenses. You are more likely to believe that the minimum wage earning man that changes your oil at the wash n lube is a sexual predator before a well "respected man of the community". That's how they do it and get away with it. While you and I don't know his guilt or innocence, assuming his innocent based on his reputation alone is laughable. Sexual predators do not walk around advertising what they are, they hide it well.
      [/list]
      coastieshak November 04, 2011 at 3:28PM
        Protect him from who? They broke the story in the first place.
        hardworker2 November 05, 2011 at 7:45AM
          would they have reported it if he was a coach at MHS?
        PennName November 05, 2011 at 8:07AM
          You are right, Jeff. I will never again attempt to comfort someone who is hurting. How foolish of me.
        Jeff Lanolin November 05, 2011 at 9:09AM
          @ PennName... what makes you think he was hurting? That's where the problem is harbored. Just because he wants just served on sexual predators, doesn't mean he's hurting. Your attempt at a snide retort wasn't needed. If you want to make a point, make it. Don't beat around the burning bush.
        PennName November 05, 2011 at 10:34AM
          Jeff, I tried to gently help someone who is obviously hurting based on the anger shown in his repeated posts whenever a sex crime is reported. That earned me a lecture on gay rights and an insult from you.
          I responded to your attack gently, and that earned me another attack.
          I am trying to be gentle and helpful. You are trying to be hurtful and vindictive.
          Perhaps you should go memorize some more dialogue from your insipid bowling-dude movie and calm down before you post further.
          I really do wish you peace.
        Jeff Lanolin November 05, 2011 at 11:57AM
          @ PennName.... not everyone has to be a happy, shiny Christian to enjoy life. Perhaps the man is just sickened by the thought of sexual predators, like most normal people. Then again, with the amount of priests who are sexual predators, perhaps religious folk are more understanding about the whole thing.

You didn't try to gently help someone, don't kid yourself. If you truly wanted to help him, you would have asked for his contact information instead of chastising him on a public forum.

While your response to me was gentle, it had sarcastic undertones. And if you think one part of a SENTENCE is a lecture, I applaud your naivety.

I'm calm and at peace. Go sell "happy" elsewhere, all stocked up here!

P.S. props to on the Lebowski recognition!

My apologies for the
        PennName November 05, 2011 at 12:21PM
          It is interesting that you would assume that because I try to be gentle, I must be a Christian.
          Also quite naive of you to think a person would or should share their personal contact information with an anonymous poster on PennLive. I said he was hurting. I didn't say he was stupid.
          This conversation is enlightening me. Pity you can't say the same.
          You are a sad, bitter little man and I have nothing further to say to you.
          Good day, Sir.
        Jeff Lanolin November 05, 2011 at 12:43PM
          Just calling it as I see it.

The truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it?
        PennName November 05, 2011 at 1:30PM
          I said good DAY, Sir.
        [/list]
        willynelson November 04, 2011 at 2:45PM
          ouch. this will not end well

© 2011 PennLive LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
        Comments left for the above article, "Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky indicted on felony charges of sex crimes against minors" (by Sara Ganim; November 04, 2011; The Patriot-News), #s 21-40:

bpark  November 04, 2011 at 3:12PM
          I know Jerry and The Second Mile organization. This is so unbelievable. A sad day for all.
        Dustin83v November 04, 2011 at 3:13PM
          No one is above the law. Physical violence and sexual abuse of Minors will never be tolerated.
          ChosenWun November 04, 2011 at 3:21PM
            Guys a LEgend in Penn State. He will have many, many penn state fans supporting him during these hard times hopefully he will come out a Victor like a true penn state alumni
          Bill Pavuk November 04, 2011 at 3:43PM
            Sandusky is innocent until proven otherwise and people have every right to stand by him and offer him support given all the tremendous good he's done in his life, but regardless of outcome, I don't think that anyone can be a "victor" in all of this.
          PennName November 04, 2011 at 4:58PM
            Dustin: Whatever happened to you when you were younger, I'm sorry. Your anger in these posts is palpable. I hope you are able to find some peace, but I am fairly certain that hating the people who are charged with these crimes is not going to help you with that.
            I wish you God's peace.
          jjtopp99 November 04, 2011 at 10:42PM
            You don't really believe that do you? . The CEO's of the 25 largest banks in the USA drove their comnpanies into the ground overseeing the sale of billions of dollars, if not trillions, of phony derivatives to unsuspecting investors, and made HUGE personal fortunes while doing so. And guess what? Not ONE of these criminals has been indicted, tried for their high crimes, and gone to jail. Not ONE!!!

Why, Hank Paulsen, the CEO of Investment Bank Goldmen-Sachs profited handsomely (adding over 900 million dollars in personal wealth to his fortunes KNOWINGLY selling this garbage to unsuspecting investors). Was he indicted for his high crimes? Hell no, instead, his buddy Gerge W. Bush makes him Secretary of the Treasury to "fix" the very economic debacle he helped create!

In the fascisrt state the is now AMERIKA, "All men are created EQUAL, except that some men are MORE EQUAL than others." You can take that to the bank (bankrupt as it may be).
          [/list]
          namvet13 November 04, 2011 at 3:20PM
            With all of the good that this man has done this is just plain sad. I continue to hope that it is not true but if it is, no one is above the law.
          SayItAin'tSo November 04, 2011 at 3:25PM
            Enough said
          timsky November 04, 2011 at 3:26PM
            More important, when was he the "Former Penn State coach". Did the real Penn State Coach JoePa get injured back then and turn over power or did the Penn Live/PN get it wrong again?
            Bill Pavuk November 04, 2011 at 3:45PM
              He coached at Penn State for decades. what's so hard to understand?
            [/list]
            bogie123 November 04, 2011 at 3:27PM
              Not even an hour has elapsed from notification of charges and he's already convicted?? Some due process from the criminal justice system will be forthcoming, and it would be nice if those of you who have convicted Jerry of these horrible charges would do the same. If he's found guilty, then throw the book of punishment at him with full force. But until he's found guilty, I for one will maintain the presumption of innocence on his behalf and pray to God that he did not victimize anyone.
              skimmer51 November 05, 2011 at 6:25AM
                I would tend to agree with you if it weren't for the number of accusers. He will be found guilty. He is the worst kind of sexual predator there is. No matter what he did with the charity, he is slime.
              [/list]
              Mike November 04, 2011 at 3:29PM
                I just wionder what Joe knew and when he knew it. Like much else at Penn State, this was swept under the rug for years, perhaps decades.
                stayaboveit November 04, 2011 at 3:45PM
                  Joe Paterno has always come down hard on his players who have had even minor infractions with the law. I can't imagine he would tolerate this. He values the reputation of the team and the school too much.
                PSUGRAD1982 November 05, 2011 at 2:33PM
                  It took since 1998 for the first allegation and 2002 when a staff member saw it happen. Joe is slow but 8 years and how many more little boys?
                trollins November 04, 2011 at 3:58PM
                  Sandusky retired in 1999. The only incidents that allegedly occurred while he was with PSU happened in 1996 and 1998. If there's a paper trail (evidence) that shows PSU had known about it, brushed it under the rug, and quietly forced him to retire, the whole program could unfortunately go down. I HIGHLY doubt that PSU knew anything about this or else the entire incident would have come to light sooner.
                PSUGRAD1982 November 05, 2011 at 2:38PM
                  A staff member told Joe in 2002 he had witnessed it and all they did was tell Jerry to keep his Kids out of the Football Team's Showers. Joe had an obligation to tell the police, news media who ever he had to to protect those children!
                [/list]
                yodelay November 04, 2011 at 3:44PM
                  All a Grand Jury does is decide if there is enough evidence to go to trial. He's innocent until proven guilty.
                Lionwars November 04, 2011 at 3:54PM
                  As others have written he is innocent until proven guilty and that is all that metters at this point. I along with thousands of other Penn Staters will support him and his innocence unless proven otherwise.
                fenris1 November 04, 2011 at 3:58PM
                  Wow. I was so disappointed when he left Penn State, as I, too, thought he would likely be Paterno's replacement. Couldn't figure out why he left and also why PSU made no effort to keep him. Now I know.

© 2011 PennLive LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                « Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
                Comments left for the above article, "Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky indicted on felony charges of sex crimes against minors" (by Sara Ganim; November 04, 2011; The Patriot-News), #s 41-60:

bokelevich November 04, 2011 at 4:00PM
                  He did tremendous work with the Second Mile. I hope that this ends up not being true.
                hgunwilltravel4 November 04, 2011 at 4:04PM
                  I hope he doesn't take himself out! These types of charges are a night - time- bombing of a person's reputation ! These chargers ( true or not) are splashed all over the internet/newspapers with out impurity regardless if the person is guilty or innocence.

Many lives have been ruin because of false and sensational news headlines. Nothing should be printed until the charges are absolutely verified. In addition, the accusers should have their names right out there in the cross hairs. Your bold enough to bring charges be bold enough to man up and face the hard glare of the spot light.
                  guestcentre November 04, 2011 at 5:02PM
                    Corruption of minors! Young boys, from what I heard. If the charges were brought before a grand jury, the case will go to trial and names will be mentioned. Unless he pleads guilty (likely) and pays off the victims. Disgusting. I don't care "who he is or who he represents"..
                  [/list]
                  Hootykai November 04, 2011 at 4:05PM
                    The truth will come out. Protect your children.
                  Hootykai November 04, 2011 at 4:07PM
                    Thank you Sara and The Patriot for working hard on a story that the public does not want to be true.
                  countymayo November 04, 2011 at 5:15PM
                    He's not legally convicted but he is certainly charged for serious offenses. Grand jury investigation charges would imply that there is credible evidence to proceed to trial. It there wasn't enough evidence to go forward there would have been fewer or no charges. He's a great coach and his Second Mile work is highly commendable. If he is found guilty, it will be too bad. I understand news coverage taints his reputation. Arrests on allegations happen routinely whether they are robberies or sexual offenses. Consider all the people charged with embezzlement, theft, assault, etc. Also the reputations of teachers, coaches, and priests have been harmed through news stories of arrests that do not eventually result in convictions. I suspect in that Sandusky may have been protected over the years because of his good reputation. We have to let things play out in the legal system.
                  derryright November 04, 2011 at 5:30PM
                    Sorry folks, but I can't go along with this whole "innocent until proven guilty" line of comments; they obviously come from people who know nothing about the grand jury system. While he IS, technically, innocent until proven guilty, that doesn't mean AT ALL that something at the very very least inappropriate didn't happen. FORTY FELONY COUNTS?!? JoPa testifying? Do you people really think grand jury indictments are handed down like party favors? I mean, REALLY.
                    PaProud November 04, 2011 at 7:08PM
                      Clearly you do not understand our judicial system or how a grand jury operates. These are simply charges, no different than if the police and DA files the charges. Under a grand jury the prosecutor submits information and evidence to a group of individuals who decide whether there is sufficient evidence to pursue that charge in a court of law. The accused has no access to that information/evidence nor can provide counter information or cross examine witnesses. That is what a court is for. People are found innocent of charges more than people know. The media mostly focuses on those who are convicted and seldom report those found innocent. This needs to play out in court where the evidence can be seen in the light of day and not behind closed doors. And Sandusky and his lawyers can examine it and provide proof he is innocent or that the evidence is bad.

I don't know if the guy is guilty or not. But he IS innocent until proven guilty. That is our system. I would hate to have some of you as my judge who are so convinced of guilt when you have seen no evidence at all. Some people are too quick to judge based on some headlines and no facts.
                    [/list]
                    jdans November 04, 2011 at 6:15PM
                      They always say that you can indict a ham sandwich. Let this play out before forming an opinion.
                    Bozo November 04, 2011 at 6:16PM
                      Stories like this one give explanation to some of the PSU posters on PL.
                    serve November 04, 2011 at 6:17PM
                      Sad sad sad
                    snik00 November 04, 2011 at 6:49PM
                      I've known Jerry, Dottie and their family for many years. I do not know if the charges are true or not, although I believe them to be false. I do know that this man has helped THOUSANDS of underpriveleged people. His community service goes well beyond his Second Mile charity.I would dare say he has positivly impacted more lives than the aggregate of responders to this story. Lets hope the truth does come out.
                      novahawk November 05, 2011 at 1:33PM
                        The man may have helped MILLIONS of children & positively impacted BILLIONS of lives, but the lives he has destroyed (allegedly- had to slip that in for all the apologists) far outweigh any good (allegedly) he may have done!
                      [/list]
                      gymrat November 04, 2011 at 7:28PM
                        Perv.
                      ThoughtAssault November 04, 2011 at 9:44PM
                        I've got a little piece of wisdom for everyone here.

Whenever a man says,
                      "I want to spend more time with my family.", alarm bells should be going off because it means one of several things:

1) He's trying to avoid something bad.
                      2) He's guilty of something bad.
                      3) He's covering something up.
                      4) He's lying.
                      5) Any combination of the above.

No successful man "...wants to spend more time with his family...". It's the final death-cry of fallen politicians, CEOs, or any powerful man that is running away from something. You hear that quote all the time from men in trouble.

"I want to spend more time with my family." It conjures up images of kindly old men sitting in rocking chairs and smoking pipes alongside crackling fireplaces with Golden Retrievers lying quietly at their feet.

Simply because he said that himself, I strongly believe he's guilty.[/list]
                      Bozo November 05, 2011 at 6:41AM
                        Does anyone else think that this will never go to trial but not from lack of evidence?
                        Cycling Nut November 06, 2011 at 12:15AM
                          Yeah, I thought about that with Sandusky free on minimal bail. I truly hope he doesn't write an even more tragic ending to this sad mess. Regretably, its been known to happen in high-profile cases such as this.
                        [/list]
                        JaBrezzy November 05, 2011 at 7:54AM
                          The Penn State juggernaut will try to distance themselves and downplay the charges. In retrospect, he was likely forced from the program because of his proclivity for young boys, and the known fact that these allegations would likely surface in the future.
                          fenris1 November 06, 2011 at 7:26AM
                            Don't try to rewrite facts, JaBrezzy, because the fact is that "the Penn State juggernaut" is the one who reported it: Joe Paterno reported this to authorities years ago. PSU reported it to the law and got rid of Sandusky when no one could understand why.
                          [/list]
                          kjmyersjr1 November 05, 2011 at 10:03AM
                            How about letting this case work its way through the court system? Remember, it's INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY in a court of law here in the US by a jury of your peers. Quite a few people think it's the other way around.

© 2011 PennLive LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                          « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:38:11 PM »
                          Comments left for the above article, "Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky indicted on felony charges of sex crimes against minors" (by Sara Ganim; November 04, 2011; The Patriot-News), #s 61-69:

Gray Langur November 05, 2011 at 11:21AM
                              That's true in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion and commentary.
                            [/list]
                            derryright November 05, 2011 at 11:42AM
                              Sorry, I just can't stomach some of these "innocent until proven guilty" comments. Obviously some folks blinded by Blue & White FOO-ball fever. Look: FORTY felony counts? Brought by the AG office whose head is now our governor? (Gee, indict Tim Curley for lying and have JoePa testify. THERE'S a winning political strategy if the charges are flimsy)
                              No folks. I have no idea what the grand jury got in terms of testimony (it's secret, after all). But I can see the obvious. You don't move forward with something this BIG unless you're loaded with evidence. I anticipate some sort of settlement of the criminal piece that will result in Jerry Sandusky spending as much time @ STATE PENN as he did @ PENN STATE (am I the first one to come up with this corny line?)
                              Anyway, watch for the other shoe to drop. Many of these victims will civilly sue the pants right off of Penn State University, and rightly so. Then it will be US the taxpayers who get penalized.
                            skimmer51 November 05, 2011 at 1:28PM
                              Read the indictment, then tell me how innocent this piece of slime is.
                            JaBrezzy November 05, 2011 at 3:02PM
                              After reading the other stories and reports, the evidence is damning. Even after an eyewitness account, there also appears to be clear culpability on the part of Penn State for not reporting the alleged criminal behavior.
                              novahawk November 05, 2011 at 4:04PM
                                OMG! I never, ever, in my wildest hallucinations thought I would agree with JaBrezzy, Bozo, or derryright about ANYTHING! Leave it to a scumbag pedophile (alleged) to finally bridge the right-left political divide.
                              [/list]
                              DonDrake November 05, 2011 at 5:04PM
                                What a bunch of slimy nightcrawlers in the PSU world!
                              abnrgr0306 November 05, 2011 at 7:18PM
                                Several posters are apparently apologists for the PSU program. News flash....DA's love thier precious trial record...they will not push for an FGJ indictment unless they know they are onto something and have the proof to back up each allegation. 40 criminal counts..8 victims...an eye witness..behavior by Sandusky fitting classic pedofile behavior (reference programs giving access to children, lavish gifts and trips to "certain" kids, needy behavior when children wanted to get away from him or leave the program). Innocent until proven guilty..sure. Even a million dollar defense team won't pull this case out of the fire.
                              AvidFan November 06, 2011 at 8:51AM
                                What I find astonishing is that so many people, including Curley, Spanier, and Schultz are questioning whether any sexual misconduct occurred in the showers with these boys, without even asking themselves "WHY IS A GROWN MAN SHOWERING WITH 10-12 YEAR OLD BOYS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!"
                              Ashley Z., Website staff November 06, 2011 at 3:52PM
                                Comments are now closed on this entry. Please see
                              http://topics.pennlive.com/tag/jerry%20 ... index.html for the latest news and conversation. Thank you.[/list]
                              Comments are now closed for this entry.

© 2011 PennLive LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Ex-Penn State coach charged with sex crimes
                              « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »
                              Philly.com
                              Posted: Sat, Nov. 5, 2011, 3:00 AM

Ex-Penn State coach charged with sex crimes
                              Jerry Sandusky, once considered a potential successor to coach Joe Paterno, faces 40 counts of abusing minors.

Associated Press

Jerry Sandusky , who helped establish Penn State's Linebacker U reputation, has said he is innocent. ERIC GAY / AP

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - Former longtime Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, once considered a potential successor to coach Joe Paterno, is facing charges stemming from an investigation of allegations that he indecently assaulted a teenage boy, newspapers reported Friday.

The Patriot-News of Harrisburg first reported that charges were filed against Sandusky, 67, and entered into the state court system's online docket. The charging papers, posted online by the newspaper, include involuntary deviate sexual intercourse of someone under 16, aggravated indecent assault of someone under 16, indecent assault of someone under 16, indecent assault of someone under 13, endangering the welfare of children, and corruption of minors.

The documents listed a total of 40 counts as being filed in Centre County on Friday, with offenses dating back to 1996. A State Police trooper was listed as the arresting officer.

However, the entry apparently disappeared from the court system's online docket later Friday, and a State Police spokeswoman said she couldn't explain why. Court officials in Centre County said Friday they hadn't received the paperwork.

The state Attorney General's Office, which led the probe and has been investigating Sandusky since 2009, declined to comment.

Through a lawyer, Sandusky has maintained that he's innocent. A telephone message left at the office of his lawyer Friday afternoon by the Associated Press wasn't immediately returned.

The allegations surfaced in 2009 while Sandusky was a volunteer assistant football coach at Central Mountain High School in Clinton County, the Patriot-News reported in March. The incidents were alleged to have taken place in Centre County.

The Patriot-News also has reported that State Police called witnesses to a May 1998 report by Penn State university police detailing an earlier allegation of inappropriate contact by Sandusky involving another boy. No charges were ever filed against Sandusky in that case.

Sandusky retired more than a decade ago after 32 years under Paterno.

Sandusky, known for helping to establish the school's Linebacker U reputation, drew up the defenses for the Nittany Lions' national-title teams of 1982 and 1986.

Sandusky has been lauded for his work with The Second Mile, a charitable organization he founded in 1977 to help at-risk children. He retired from the charity's board last year, and executive vice president Katherine Genovese said then that he had been scaling back his duties in recent years so that he could spend more time with family and deal with his personal life.

The Second Mile released a statement Friday saying staff members were "shaken" by the announcement of charges. It said Sandusky informed the organization in November 2008 that he was being investigated as a result of allegations made against him by an adolescent male.

"Jerry maintains that there is no truth to the allegations," the statement said.

The Second Mile said the charges do not directly involve the organization or its programs. Sandusky had no involvement in children's programs and services at The Second Mile since November 2008, the statement said.

© 2011 Philadelphia Media Network.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Penn St ex-coach, others charged in child sex case
                              « Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
                              Philly.com
                              Posted: Sat, Nov. 5, 2011, 3:00 AM

Penn St ex-coach, others charged in child sex case

GENARO C. ARMAS and MARK SCOLFORO
                              The Associated Press

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - An explosive sex abuse scandal and possible cover-up rocked "Happy Valley" on Saturday when former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, once considered Joe Paterno's heir apparent, was charged with sexually assaulting eight boys over a 15-year period. Among the allegations was a 2002 incident in which a graduate assistant for the team said he saw Sandusky assault a boy in the shower at the Nittany Lions' practice center.

Sandusky retired in 1999 but continued to use the school's facilities for his work with The Second Mile, a foundation he established to help at-risk kids. The state grand jury investigation also resulted in perjury charges against Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director, and Gary Schultz, vice president for finance and business. The two administrators were accused of failing to alert police , as required by state law, of their investigation of the allegations.

"This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys," Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said in a statement.

Paterno, who last week became the winningest coach in Division I football, was not charged, and the grand jury report did not appear to implicate him in wrongdoing.

Under Paterno's four-decades-and-counting stewardship, the Nittany Lions became a bedrock in the college game and fans packed the stadium in State College, a campus town routinely ranked among America's best places to live and nicknamed "Happy Valley." Paterno's teams were revered both for winning games , including two national championships , and largely steering clear of trouble. Sandusky, whose defenses were usually anchored by tough-guy linebackers , hence the moniker, "Linebacker U" , spent three decades at the school. The charges against him cover the period between 1994 and 2009.

Sandusky, 67, was arrested Saturday and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts. Curley, 57, and Schultz, 62, were expected to turn themselves in on Monday in Harrisburg.

The allegations against Sandusky, who started The Second Mile in 1977, range from sexual advances to touching to oral and anal sex. The young men testified before a state grand jury that they were in their early teens when some of the abuse occurred; there is evidence even younger children may have been victimized. Defense attorney Joe Amendola said Sandusky has been aware of the accusations for about three years and has maintained his innocence.

"He's shaky, as you can expect," Amendola told WJAC-TV after Sandusky was arraigned. "Being 67 years old, never having faced criminal charges in his life, and having the distinguished career that he's had, these are very serious allegations."

A preliminary hearing scheduled for Wednesday would likely be delayed, Amendola said. Sandusky is charged with multiple counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, corruption of minors, endangering the welfare of a child, indecent assault and unlawful contact with a minor, as well as single counts of aggravated indecent assault and attempted indecent assault.

No one answered a knock at the door Saturday at Sandusky's modest, two-story brick home at the end of a dead-end road in State College. A man who answered the door at The Second Mile office in State College declined to give his name and said the organization had no comment.

The grand jury said eight boys were targets of sexual advances or assaults by Sandusky. None was named, and in at least one case, the jury said the child's identity remains unknown to authorities.

One accuser, now 27, testified that Sandusky initiated contact with a "soap battle" in the shower that led to multiple instances of involuntary sexual intercourse and indecent assault at Sandusky's hands, the grand jury report said.

He said he traveled to charity functions and Penn State games with Sandusky, even being listed as a member of the Sandusky family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl and 1999 Alamo Bowl. But when the boy resisted his advances, Sandusky threatened to send him home from the Alamo Bowl, the report said.

Sandusky also gave him clothes, shoes, a snowboard, golf clubs, hockey gear and football jerseys, and even guaranteed that he could walk on to the football team, the grand jury said, and the boy also appeared with Sandusky in a photo in Sports Illustrated. He testified that Sandusky once gave him $50 to buy marijuana, drove him to purchase it and then drove him home as the boy smoked the drug.

The first case to come to light was a boy who met Sandusky when he was 11 or 12, the grand jury said. The boy received expensive gifts and trips to sports events from Sandusky, and physical contact began during his overnight stays at Sandusky's home, jurors said. Eventually, the boy's mother reported the allegations of sexual assault to his high school, and Sandusky was banned from the child's school district in Clinton County in 2009. That triggered the state investigation that culminated in charges Saturday.

But the report also alleges much earlier instances of abuse, and details failed efforts to stop it by some who became aware of what was happening.

Another child, known only as a boy about 11 to 13, was seen by a janitor pinned against a wall while Sandusky performed oral sex on him in fall 2000, the grand jury said.

And in 2002, Kelly said, a graduate assistant saw Sandusky sexually assault a naked boy, estimated to be about 10 years old, in a team locker room shower. The grad student and his father reported what he saw to Paterno, who immediately told Curley, prosecutors said.

Curley and Schultz met with the graduate assistant about a week and a half later, Kelly said.

"Despite a powerful eyewitness statement about the sexual assault of a child, this incident was not reported to any law enforcement or child protective agency, as required by Pennsylvania law," Kelly said.

There's no indication that anyone at school attempted to find the boy, or follow up with the witness, she said.

Curley denied that the assistant had reported anything of a sexual nature, calling it "merely `horsing around,'" the 23-page grand jury report said. But he also testified that he barred Sandusky from bringing children onto campus and that he advised Penn State president Graham Spanier of the matter.

The grand jury said Curley was lying, Kelly said, adding that it also deemed portions of Schultz's testimony not to be credible.

Schultz told the jurors he also knew of a 1998 investigation involving sexually inappropriate behavior by Sandusky with a boy in the showers the football team used.

But despite his job overseeing campus police, he never reported the 2002 allegations to any authorities, "never sought or received a police report on the 1998 incident and never attempted to learn the identity of the child in the shower in 2002," the jurors wrote. "No one from the university did so."

Lawyers for both Curley and Schultz issued statements saying they are innocent of all charges.

In response to a request for comment from Paterno, a spokesman for the athletic department said all such questions would be referred to university representatives, who released a statement from Spanier calling the allegations against Sandusky "troubling" and adding Curley and Schultz had his unconditional support.

He predicted they will be exonerated.

"I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years," Spanier said. "I have complete confidence in how they handled the allegations about a former university employee."

Sandusky, once considered a potential successor to Paterno, drew up the defenses for the Nittany Lions' national-title teams in 1982 and 1986. The team is enjoying another successful run this season; at 8-1, Penn State is ranked No. 16 in the AP Top 25 and is the last undefeated squad in Big Ten play. The Nittany Lions were off Saturday.

As the head football coach, Paterno has spent years cultivating a reputation for putting integrity ahead of modern college-sports economics. It's a notion that has benefited Penn State's marketing and recruiting efforts over the decades and one that the Big Ten school's alumni proudly tout years after they leave.

"We're supposed to be one of the universities to follow after, someone to look up to," said sophomore Brian Prewitt of Poughkeepsie, N.Y. "Now that people on the top are involved, it's going to be bad."

Scolforo reported from Harrisburg.

© 2011 Philadelphia Media Network.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
                              Re: Jerry Sandusky and The Second Mile
                              « Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
                              Quote from: "Ursus"
                              So... Jerry Sandusky apparently loved kids so much, that he founded The Second Mile group home in 1977... to help those less fortunate.
                              That might not have been the only reason.
                              Indeed, it seems he had more than his love of showering with ten year olds paying off for him there at the Second Mile.

Sandusky Made Nearly $500K At The Second Mile After Admitting He Showered With A Boy, According To Tax Records

Penn State Scandal: The Second Mile Tries to Separate From Founder
                              More at that ^ link: video of an Interview with the mother of child (referred to as victim #1) who met Sandusky while attending The Second Mile
                              “A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis