Author Topic: Ky. Mom To Confront Officials Over Boy In Bag  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
Ky. Mom To Confront Officials Over Boy In Bag
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »
Ky. Mom To Confront Officials Over Boy In Bag

Woman Says Autistic Son Stuffed Into Duffel Bag As Punishment

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A Kentucky woman who has accused a school of stuffing her autistic son into a duffel bag for misbehaving plans to speak out at the next school board meeting, backed by an online petition demanding changes.

Sandra Baker said Tuesday her 9-year-old son Christopher has been unusually quiet and withdrawn since she claims to have found the fourth-grader wiggling inside the bag with the drawstring pulled tight as a teacher's aide stood by in a school hallway Dec. 14.

"It's to the point that I don't even know he's here," she said in a phone interview. "That's how quiet he is."

Baker said she plans to attend the next Mercer County school board meeting on Jan. 19 to present the petition, circulated on the website change.org after it was begun by an autistic college student outraged by the Baker case.

The petition says the teacher responsible for putting Chris in the bag should be fired. It also calls for comprehensive training for school personnel in dealing with children with developmental disabilities.

The petition – started by Lydia Brown, an autistic 18-year-old Georgetown University freshman from Boston – has garnered more than 14,000 signatures since its Dec. 21 launch, said Benjamin Joffe-Walt, a spokesman for change.org.

"Clearly there is anger over the alleged treatment of this boy," he said.

Brown said she never expected her petition to gather so much momentum, but said the incident "hits people personally."

She said she hopes the petition drive draws attention to the "lack of appropriate education for educators on how to interact respectfully and meaningfully with autistic students."

Her effort underscores the power of taking a cause to the internet.

"Armed with only a laptop and without any funding or support, an autistic 18-year-old has recruited more than 10,000 supporters over the Christmas weekend, with dozens joining every minute," Joffe-Walt said.

Legislation introduced in Congress seeks to prohibit schools from secluding students in locked and unattended enclosures or using physical restraints except in emergencies. U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, sponsor of one of the bills, said in a recent statement that it would set "long-overdue standards to protect children from physical and psychological harm and ensure a safe learning environment."

Chris Baker is a student at Mercer County Intermediate School in Harrodsburg in central Kentucky. He is enrolled in a program for students with special needs.

On Dec. 14, Baker said, her family was called to the school because Chris was acting up. As she walked toward his classroom, Baker said, she saw the wiggling bag with a small hole at the top. Soon, she said she heard her son asking, "Momma, is that you?"

She has said her son was sweating and his eyes "were as big as half dollars" when he was pulled out of the bag. She said doesn't know exactly how long he had been in the bag, but probably not more than 20 minutes.

Baker said Tuesday that her son was put in the bag as punishment: "No way was it for therapeutic uses."

Mercer County schools Interim Superintendent Dennis Davis did not immediately respond to calls and an email Tuesday seeking comment. Last week, Davis said confidentiality laws forbid him from commenting, but he praised the school system's employees as "qualified professionals who treat students with respect and dignity."

State education officials have said they were investigating. In Kentucky, there are no laws on using restraint or seclusion in public schools, according to documents on the state Department of Education's website.

A July letter from the state agency to special education directors said the state had investigated two informal complaints this year.

Baker said she met with school district officials soon after the incident but hasn't heard from them since. She said school officials told her it was not the first time Chris had been put in a bag, and that the bag was described as a "therapy bag."

She said she wants the practice stopped, calling it "a danger to the kids."

Baker said she's considering pulling Chris out of the public school system and home-schooling him once the holiday break ends.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
Re: Ky. Mom To Confront Officials Over Boy In Bag
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
Article preceding the article above and being the initial one:

Ky. Mom: Teacher Put Autistic Son In Bag

School District Investigating Incident
Bruce Schreiner/AP

POSTED: 2:46 pm EST December 22, 2011
UPDATED: 2:53 pm EST December 22, 2011

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- A Kentucky woman says her 9-year-old autistic son was stuffed into a ball bag at his public school for acting up.

Sandra Baker says officials in Mercer County in central Kentucky described the action as a form of therapy for the boy, whose behavior had prompted them to call family to take him home Dec. 14.

Baker says when she arrived at Mercer County Intermediate School to pick up her son, Chris, she found him wiggling inside the bag in a hallway.

She says the drawstring on the bag was pulled tight. A small opening was left at the top, and a teacher's aide was sitting next to the bag.

State education officials say they are investigating the issue. The story was first reported by WLEX and WKYT in Lexington.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Ky. Mom: Teacher Put Autistic Son In Bag
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
Pic from the just above article, of the apparently bag-able boy:

Christopher Baker · WLEX-TV[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "Ky. Mom: Teacher Put Autistic Son In Bag"
    « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »
    Comments left for the above article, "Ky. Mom: Teacher Put Autistic Son In Bag" (by Bruce Schreiner/AP; December 22, 2011; WLWT.com), #s 1-20:

Amanda Overbey · Top Commenter · Everything at Full Time Mommy! :) · December 22, 2011 at 12:03pm
      This is just horrible. I have a 9 year old son with autism and this is not therapy; it's abuse. I had to pull my son from the school system here in Ohio because, he was abused by his teachers. This story makes me sick!
    Gayle Spillman Meece · Crittenden, Kentucky · December 22, 2011 at 12:04pm
      Really? are people just that stupid in this world. Any teacher that has this thought pattern really does not need to hold a teaching license, and really does not even need to work in any compacity around children.
      Sara Kammerer Goetz · Wilder, Kentucky · December 22, 2011 at 12:21pm
        Horrible!
      [/list]
      Debbie Tucker · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 12:07pm
        That's NOT behavior therapy! That's abuse of a handicap child! I have a son that has Autism with behavior problems! He has never, never been treated this way even at his worst! It;s sounds like the teachers, the aides, and the whole school system doesn't know how to teach a child with Autism! I Thank GOD for our school system and their wonderful teachers and aides! And willingness to take care of and teach our children with disabilities in our schools! EVERY CHILD COUNTS!
      Lenny Carbonia · Independence, Kentucky · December 22, 2011 at 12:10pm
        Un Real!
      Herb Branscum · December 22, 2011 at 12:19pm
        They should fire every school staff person that was involved with that decision....absolutely uncalled for.
      Rhonda Parker · Went to Glen Este and New Richmond · December 22, 2011 at 12:26pm
        My name would be on that freaking school building and I hope they hang the teacher that did that. I hope she sues. I feel so bad for that boy and he will have a hard time trusting teachers.
        Pregame Winners · Top Commenter · Works at Pro Sports Handicappers · December 22, 2011 at 3:01pm
          None of us should trust teachers after reading local news on a regular basis. Between teachers being sexual predators and now tossing children in garbage bags, I dont know whats more frightening.
        Diana Petersen · Top Commenter · Our Lady of Angels · December 22, 2011 at 3:48pm
          Pregame Winners
          It was not a garbage bag. If you are going to complain about something make sure you know what you are complaining about.
        Pregame Winners · Top Commenter · Works at Pro Sports Handicappers · December 23, 2011 at 12:38am
          I apologize. But whether it was a ball bag, garbage bag, sandwich bag or whatever type of bag does it make it any better? I doubt it. Teachers are out of control, overpaid, and want us to pity them for their chosen line of work. Sorry teachers, you work 9 months a year and pay nothing towards your health care or retirement. Learn to do your job and enjoy your 3 months off on my dime.
        [/list]
        Shelly Sohmer · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 12:32pm
          Wow, that's just wrong. More proof that general education public schools are not equipped to deal with special needs kids. One teacher's aide attending to one child takes a lot of time away from all the other kids.
        Bonnie McLaughlin · December 22, 2011 at 12:48pm
          This teacher needs to be fired immediately.
        Susan Bender · December 22, 2011 at 12:58pm
          I have 9 year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD, SENSORY PROCESSING & OCD and I swear this is terrible! His principal grabbed him up by his arms and hollered at him and I threatened him, called the board & called the police. I would've went to jail! If these people can't handle kids with issues like this they shouldn't work for the schools! Poor kids :(
          Pregame Winners · Top Commenter · Works at Pro Sports Handicappers · December 22, 2011 at 3:00pm
            ADHD and OCD are simply a diagnosis for people too lazy to handle their children. Parents want their children medicated so they arent quite the drain on them. Sorry, but Autism and what you listed above are vastly different.
          Susan Bender · December 22, 2011 at 3:28pm
            I understand they are different but you need to realize they still are issues a child has to deal with and let me tell you something I am not lazy & I do discipline my child! So before you run your mouth know what you are talking about!!!!! Pregame Winners
          Nikki Smith · Everything. at The Krusty Krab · December 22, 2011 at 3:36pm
            Pregame Winners Exuse me? ADHD a diagnosis for parents to handle their children? OK My step son has ADHD and let me tell you he is one of the best kids in the world! I for one am NOT too lazy to deal with him! Everyday that e is over at my house I work wit him and and play board games with him he just takes meds to FOCUS and to calm down! When he takes his meds he is just another normal 10 year old boy he takes his meds so he ca sleep at bed time if not he won't sleep and he feels bad! So don't tell me that I am lazy sir or that this young lady is lazy Get your facts right
          Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 3:48pm
            Pregame Winners you're wrong.

a grain free ketogenic diet cures many mental (and physical) illnesses from ocd to schizophrenia (now THERE is a catch all diagnosis that means so many different things its meaningless) to depression as well as improves elderly dementia, sometimes improves and sometimes cures alzheimers disease, cures ms and i can go on.

do some googling and educate yourself from multiple sources, even read some stuff written by people that disagree with what YOU WANT TO BELIEVE before you make ignorant statements like you did about adhd and ocd.

tell your bs to the kid who washes his hands 100 times a day or can literally barely sit still. lots of brains are not working right, i would say, yours included.
          Susan Bender · December 22, 2011 at 3:52pm
            Thanks so much Nikki. People have no clue unless they have to deal with this themselves, it is a constant struggle with my son but im sure you know and have been there a time or two. Nikki Smith
          Nikki Smith · Everything. at The Krusty Krab · December 22, 2011 at 3:57pm
            Susan Bender Oh yes I have been there! When I get frusterated I just step away and clear my mind and then I am calm with him because the calmer you are with a child they will get calm!
          Susan Bender · December 22, 2011 at 3:59pm
            Sharon Akeem thanks so much :)
          [/list]

© 2012, Ohio/Oklahoma Hearst Television Inc. on behalf of WLWT-TV.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:08:46 AM »
          Comments left for the above article, "Ky. Mom: Teacher Put Autistic Son In Bag" (by Bruce Schreiner/AP; December 22, 2011; WLWT.com), #s 21-40:

Susan Bender · December 22, 2011 at 4:08pm
              Nikki Smith I'm trying it's been a rough couple of years. It's been almost 5.years and we still can't find the right meds they all cause tics or emotional problems but we are dealing with it together. It's a learning process for both of us. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is going through it.
            Nikki Smith · Everything. at The Krusty Krab · December 22, 2011 at 4:16pm
              Susan Bender Is it ok if I add you on facebook and maybe we could bounce ideas back and fourth I know my husband has ADHD aswell and him bein 31 has behavior problomes so I am kinda double whammy'd
            Susan Bender · December 22, 2011 at 4:22pm
              Nikki Smith absolutely I can use all the help possible.
            Pregame Winners · Top Commenter · Works at Pro Sports Handicappers · December 23, 2011 at 12:36am
              Every day he is at your house? So in other words, you do not care for him full time. You my dear have proven my point. Im guessing the child is possibly in foster care, with the government drugging the child because the foster wardens want a larger check and want your child tranquilized.
            Susan Bender · December 23, 2011 at 7:43am
              Pregame Winners do you not pat attention when reading???? First you said garbage bag - pay attention they said ball bag :) & Second she said stepson so chances are his father and mother have some type of shared parenting to where he spends some time at his mothers house and some with her and his father (her husband). Just sayin have a great day and holiday I'm not going through thianymore with you it's simply not worth my time :)
            Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 23, 2011 at 9:15am
              Susan Bender i hope you will learn about the grain free ketogenic diet. read read read
            Susan Bender · December 23, 2011 at 1:09pm
              Sharon Akeem thanks so much, im up for any & all suggestions. I would so much rather him not be on meds but I had to he couldnt function in school, I had exhausted every other option.
            Pregame Winners · Top Commenter · Works at Pro Sports Handicappers · December 24, 2011 at 5:25pm
              How about these kids get OUTSIDE and lose some of this energy. Sitting in front of the tv is simply not the answer. Ms Bender and Ms Smith, its obvious you women could use the exercise with your children. Do yourselves both a favor AND GET OUTSIDE!!!
            Nikki Smith · Everything. at The Krusty Krab · December 24, 2011 at 6:42pm
              Pregame Winners why are you being nasty? My step son is FAR from being fat! He does get outside all the time and play he rides his bike and plays with his friends I do not wanna hear any more from you! It is obvious to me that anyone who disagrees with you you put it upon yourself to make nasty remarks and insult people! Just go on with your life and any children you have I feel sorry for them because they have an ignorant parent like you! Yea I am overweight but I have a medical issue so not that it is any of your concern! Just do us a favor and don't reply cuz I don't care to read what you have to say! your ignorant!
            [/list]
            Chastity Lynn Donoho · December 22, 2011 at 1:12pm
              The teacher who did it needs to locked up for along time.
            Gary Middleton · Top Commenter · Colerain High School · December 22, 2011 at 1:28pm
              let me stuff that idiot in a bag.
            Mollie Herfurt Imhoff · University of Cincinnati · December 22, 2011 at 1:31pm
              Totally inexcusable and I want to punch each person involved in the throat!
            Jennifer Crozier Walden · Marathon, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 1:31pm
              And we wonder what's wrong with Education in America.
            Susannah Rolfes · Dillsboro, Indiana · December 22, 2011 at 1:45pm
              As an Autistic person, I actually think they might have been trying to use a theraputic technique called deep pressure. Deep pressure is calming. Some Autistic people will crawl between mattress and box spring, for example, to get deep pressure. Temple Grandin invented a squeeze machine for this purpose, based on ones she saw used with cattle. It's possible this was abusive, but equally possible that it was calming, and quite likely that it was a poorly-applied attempt at using a legitimate technique. (Hugging is also another form of deep pressure, but many Autistics are touch avoidant, expecially when experiencing Overload. The bag may have prevented a Meltdown, but really, if they're going to use deep pressure, rolling a kid in a blanket is much safer b/c, partly open or not, there's a suffocation risk with a bag.) I think there should be an investigation to make sure better methods are used, but it may not be what it sounds like at all, and I reserve judgement until there is more information available.
              Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 2:48pm
                do YOU like deep pressure therapy when you're melting down?
              Nikki Smith · Everything. at The Krusty Krab · December 22, 2011 at 3:28pm
                Sharon Akeem If this young lady is autistic then don't you tink she knows more about autism than you do? I hate what that teacher did she is a monster! This young lady was just giving a few facts about autisim! I didn't see anywhere in her statement where she agreed with what the teacher did so your condesending tone and statement was alittle out of line! And YES THE TEACHER IS A MONSTER!
              Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 3:40pm
                Nikki Smith your condescending tone and statement is pretty offensive and you've proven yourself to be a judgmental and ignorant person.

i'm autitstic too, deep pressure therapy horrifies me, it is controversial, so i asked her if she found it helpful, if she liked it. i didnt criticise her i didnt call her names i didnt judge her or talk down to her but you just did all that to me. look in the mirror at yourself and get right with YOU, dont worry about me.

i guess if that particular therapy was on his iep ... "stuff child inside ball bag and tie drawstring leaving a small hole for air flow."
              Nikki Smith · Everything. at The Krusty Krab · December 22, 2011 at 3:49pm
                Sharon Akeem Didn't call you names, and I am not worried about you either! I am not ignorant I have family with autisim! The only thing I said dto you that was even remotly judgemental was your condesending tone was out of line so please don't sit and tell me that I am judgemental and ignorant! I felt that she was being judged and put down and I was simply extending a friendly gesture to the young lady who commented!
              Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 3:56pm
                Nikki Smith you extended a friendly gesture to a person who did not ask for help, you did so at my expense.

you said"Sharon Akeem If this young lady is autistic then don't you tink she knows more about autism than you do?"

you judged me as non-autistic and you judged me as knowing less about autism than her. how the heck is that not judgmental? and you judged me as condescending (while directing YOUR superior attitude towards me).

sure, that is your perception and i apologize for offending you but really that is not my role. i shouldnt have to say im sorry you are offended because of YOUR negative emotional reaction to my typed words. get a grip woman! your feelings do not give you the right to judge me and call me out, especially not if you are making erroneous judgments.
              Nikki Smith · Everything. at The Krusty Krab · December 22, 2011 at 4:10pm
                Sharon Akeem I am also sorry you feel I am trying to be superior! I know what I said and I know that I was not being judgement towards you! The point is this child was abused and I think you and I both may come to this same conclusion! Have a nice holiday Sharon!
              [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              « Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
              Comments left for the above article, "Ky. Mom: Teacher Put Autistic Son In Bag" (by Bruce Schreiner/AP; December 22, 2011; WLWT.com), #s 41-60:

Amanda Overbey · Top Commenter · Everything at Full Time Mommy! :)  · December 22, 2011 at 5:31pm
                  I think Sharron and Susannah both made excellent points and I am pretty sure you both know more about autism than I do. I hope my son is able to express himself so openly someday. The two of you give me such much more hope. He does not like to be touched during a melt down but, does enjoy deep pressure. I have had people put my son in holds leaving scratches and huge red marks up and down his back. They may have been attempting deep pressure but, they could have smothered him and something tells me they were just trying to get him out of the way. That is what horrifies me.
                [/list]
                Mary Lou Bowling · Top Commenter · December 22, 2011 at 2:03pm
                  Before condemning him being in the bag, find out the whole story. Did you stop to think he himself might have gotten into the bag if they asked him too. Doubt very much he was FORCIBLY PUT INTO THE BAG. DOUBT ANYONE COULD DO THAT WITH A CHILD HOLLERING AND SCREAMING AND KICKING AND STUFF. Worked in schools for 25+ years and I've seen kids do it all --Three C's. Don't criticize, condemn nor compllain until you know the complete story -- of all sides. Mom doesn't say he was screaming and hollering, she said the bag was wiggling. The kid sounds like he was playing to me.
                  Tonya Turner · December 22, 2011 at 2:10pm
                    It is not even about being FORCED into the bag. As a responsible adult, if a child climbs into a bag you should remove them!! There was no reason for the drawstring on the bag to be pulled tight. Especially if he climbed in playing.
                  Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 2:50pm
                    really? you doubt an adult can put a child in a bag like that forcibly? lucky you if you're that naive & ignorance is bliss.
                  [/list]
                  Gabrielle Bilkovic · Harrison Township, Michigan · December 22, 2011 at 2:28pm
                    How horrible! If someone did that to my child I would stuff them inside a bag.
                  Nicole Scott · Kingstree, South Carolina · December 22, 2011 at 2:40pm
                    , are you freaking serious I'm a teacher with masters in special ed. This teacher its horrible. Ugh I hate idiots.
                  Mallory Meade · Domestic CEO at The Meade household · December 22, 2011 at 2:47pm
                    May God be with the person that ever did this to my child! Every person who knew of this "therapy" should be fired and commited of some form of child abuse.
                  Samy Habedank · Server at P.F. Chang's · December 22, 2011 at 2:52pm
                    she better hope her name isn't released because I'm sure there's a line to Florida waiting to stuff her heartless piece of crap body in a bag. with no hole.
                    Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio  · December 22, 2011 at 3:41pm
                      or occupy her front lawn
                    [/list]
                    Pregame Winners · Top Commenter · Works at Pro Sports Handicappers · December 22, 2011 at 2:57pm
                      Amazing that teachers are designated as first responders when it comes to child abuse yet THEY get away with verbal and in this case physical abuse on a daily basis. More proof if you work for the local, state, or federal government you are held to a LOWER standard.
                    Yesenia Hinojosa Falcon · Dover, Delaware · December 22, 2011 at 3:18pm
                      Sad to say but as a mother whom who's child attends a Department od Defense school had a incident occur to him as well and nothing was done, My child who suffers from ADD/ADHD his teacher placed DUCT TAPE on hiS mouth and nothing was done.
                      Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 23, 2011 at 9:17am
                        you have to go after them like a rabid dog
                      [/list]
                      Diana Petersen · Top Commenter · Our Lady of Angels · December 22, 2011 at 3:50pm
                        Removing an autistic child from stimuli is a method of treatment. I can not say I agree with the method, but the thought was correct.
                        Now, you condem the teacher and other school officials. Why?

We should be condemning the parents of handicapped children who forced their kids into mainstream classrooms. - They did not want their kids shoved away in a school.
                        Racheal Cole · Lab Support at Valley Medical Center · December 22, 2011 at 6:58pm
                          Wow, so now we are blaming parents for teachers bad behavior. Maybe you just check the laws, no matter what kind of therpy this is, It shouldn't be done in public school, by public teachers.
                        Pregame Winners · Top Commenter · Works at Pro Sports Handicappers · December 23, 2011 at 12:41am
                          Ms Petersen obviously condones tossing children into bags. She has made that clear. She also believes teachers are now able to medically treat children using the method of tossing them in bags. Is there something wrong with a parent wanting their children to go to a public school because YOU Ms Petersen think they should be segregated due to their "handicap"? The teacher in this case should be fired, and anyone else employed by the school with the tax dollar funded paycheck should be tossed out as well.
                        [/list]
                        Melissa Markland · Miamisburg, Ohio · December 22, 2011 at 3:51pm
                          Are you kidding me? I'm speechless!
                          Bj Hunter · December 22, 2011 at 4:26pm
                            That is sad
                          [/list]
                          Tammy Brafford · East Central High School · December 22, 2011 at 4:11pm
                            Come on really the school couldn't of found another way to discipline a little boy and a handicap child at that. I would find a good lawyer and find out what can be done about this so it don't happen again, this is so sad.
                          Tammy Spencer · Lewis County High School · December 22, 2011 at 4:20pm
                            What the hell is wrong with these teachers now a days? If something like that were to happen to my son I would OWN that freakin place. I say, press charges and get her the hell out of that school or any school for that matter. That precious boy will never be able to trust a teacher again. UNBELIEVABLE!
                            Donna Liles Bentley · Shawnee State University · December 22, 2011 at 5:40pm
                              If this is true, words can't even describe how horrible this for this child. However, let's not be quick to believe everything put into a newspaper. There are many people out there trying to find a way to solve all their problems even if it is at the expense of their children. As a teacher myself, I can say there are many more good teachers than there are bad.
                            [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            « Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »
                            Comments left for the above article, "Ky. Mom: Teacher Put Autistic Son In Bag" (by Bruce Schreiner/AP; December 22, 2011; WLWT.com), #s 61-70:

Sue Jerdonek Lind · Speech-Language Pathologist at Boone County Schools · December 22, 2011 at 6:18pm
                              I don't know the details of this story, other than what is in the article. But it's written and headlined to get a reaction out of you ("stuffed into", ect.). Do you feel it? I know I did...at first. What they neglected to mention is that a ball bag is often used in Sensory/Motor rooms with kids who have sensory intergration difficulties, and many kids LOVE it. It is somewhat dark and confining, which can calm down a child with autism. Again, without any of the details, I have to say, good job to the school for using calming techniques instead of punishment.
                              Sharon Akeem · Cincinnati, Ohio · December 23, 2011 at 9:16am
                                just because some so called therapy methods are used often does not make those methods ok.
                              [/list]
                              Racheal Cole · Lab Support at Valley Medical Center · December 22, 2011 at 6:59pm
                                That teacher, and anyone else involved should be fired, and charged with endangering a child!
                              Rene King Thompson · Top Commenter · December 22, 2011 at 7:03pm
                                I worked at NKCES which has a program for severely autistic children and this is not behavior therapy. This is abuse!
                              Joelle Marie Maddux · Tacoma Community College · December 22, 2011 at 9:06pm
                                WOW...It's really kind of hard for me to really wrap my head around this story. I have a child with developemental disabilities and I can tell you that my child has an IEP, which this child would of definately had as well, and EVERYTHING is lined out in an IEP.....EVERYTHING....This may be some "form" of therapy, I can't tell you, I have no idea, however, I CAN tell you that if it is and they wanted to "use" this therapy on him IN SCHOOL, it would have been lined out without qualm or question.......My point is, the mother would have known what was going to happen in times of "difficulty" and she would have no reason to be upset and make a stink of this, therefore the paper wouldn't have known about the incident at ALL! With all that said, it's obvious the school is in the wrong! If they were not, why then NONE of us would be having this coversation......My heart goes out to this family, very sad!
                                Jennifer Arnold · University of Kentucky · December 22, 2011 at 9:14pm
                                  I am having a hard time understanding this one as well!
                                Judy Green Malone · University Place, Washington · December 24, 2011 at 12:39pm
                                  omg... :/
                                [/list]
                                Tina Weber Walker · Works at Works for a Financial Institution · December 23, 2011 at 3:45pm
                                  That is absolutely horrible. Especially with everythng that has been happening around us these days you would think they would know that they would lose their job and all the negativity that goes all long with it. The biggest thing of all is how can you treat a child---A CHILD like that.
                                Lisa Crawford · Marketing, Leasing and Whatever Else Needs Done at Director of Marketing · December 26, 2011 at 12:19pm
                                  That is horrible! My son is autistic I had to remove him from a school system due to the fact that they put him a closet and then he was having a major meltdown from the closet incident they slammed him down on his stomach and handcuffed him! I went to file charges and was told that impossible to hold the school accountalble for their actions!
                                Kerri Tartt Mitchell · Cincinnati, Ohio · January 3, 2012
                                  OMG! They would have had to call the cops to arrest ME if I had walked up and found my son stuffed in a bag like that! Holy Hell!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                Comments: "Ky. Mom To Confront Officials Over Boy In Bag"
                                « Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
                                Comments left for the above article posted in the OP, "Ky. Mom To Confront Officials Over Boy In Bag" (December 27, 2011; WLWT.com):

Norm Taylor · December 27, 2011 at 10:33am
                                  oh hell no, don't let me find my kid tied in a bag, this story would have a feww more twists to it.
                                  Debra Earhart · December 31, 2011 at 11:35am
                                    hey norman, sorry to hear about john. have a friend hear that's has hospis in with him and he's my age 56. i'll say a prayer foir john. luv ya,
                                  [/list]
                                  Pregame Winners ·  Top Commenter · Works at Pro Sports Handicappers · December 27, 2011 at 7:57pm
                                    What's amazing is that in the original story many of the readers defended the actions of this teacher. Even a fellow teacher defended the actions. Id suggest that everyone check out the original story and see your fellow Cincinnati idiots defending the abuse of this child. Its amazing government workers get away with this and never get charged. Let this teacher find a bruise on your child and it ends in a completely different action.
                                  Christian Schneider · December 28, 2011 at 6:28am
                                    If this had been a parent putting a child in a bag, you know darn well they would be sitting in jail for child abuse. There should be no double standards going on here!
                                  Amber Robinson · Butler Tech · December 31, 2011 at 9:42am
                                    hell no.. this ain't thereputic! the kids going to need therepy after this! I swear by god, let me find my kid or any kid in a " bag", I would go crazy! id be puttin some teachers in a bag....
                                    April Rawlings Becknell · January 3, 2012 at 12:27pm
                                      yea, if it were my kid that teacher would be in a body bag
                                    [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                    Mercer Co. Mother Upset Over Son's Punishment
                                    « Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »
                                    And, here's some even earlier coverage:

LEX 18 News - Lexington, KY
                                    Mercer Co. Mother Upset Over Son's Punishment

Posted: Dec 16, 2011 9:47 PM
                                    Updated: Dec 16, 2011 9:47 PM

It's supposed to be a ball bag. Instead, a Mercer County mother said she found her son trapped inside it at his school. How he got there infuriated Sandra Baker. LEX18 reports on the special education teacher Baker said admitted it's a way to control the boy's autistic behavior.

"It's uncalled for, I'm sorry. There's just no sense in it," said Baker, who is still upset, two days after she said her son was punished, sent to do time in a Mercer County Intermediate ball bag.

"I told her, I said you need to get him out of the bag and you need to get him out of the bag now," said Baker.

Christopher Baker emerged sweaty and agitated. Mom doesn't know how long he was there, only that his special education teacher's aide told him to stay there for disobeying her.

"He was to himself, went to his room, was in there all night, didn't communicate with anybody," said Baker.

Two years ago the nine-year-old was diagnosed with Autism and ADHD a year before that. An outburst Wednesday and the school asked mom to pick-up Christopher who was already in the bag when she got there.

"It disturbs me because I don't know what else they have done to him, in forms of discipline that I don't even know about," said Sandra.

In a statement, Mercer County School Superintendent Dennis Davis said, "We are aware of a situation and that situation has been investigated and school system has handled it consistent with our policies and procedures. Because this is a student issue, we cannot discuss any details because of state and federal confidentiality statutes."

As for Baker, she has met with the school principal but said nothing was resolved.

"I shouldn't have to live in fear to send my kids to school and he shouldn't have to be in fear of going," said Baker said the state is investigating and meeting with her privately on Monday before making an appointment with school officials.

All content © 2012 LEX18.com - Lexington, KY.