Author Topic: Arivaca Boys Ranch  (Read 21373 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Shawna Forde, Minutemen Leader, Arrested In Double Killing..
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
Here's a piece from the Huffington Post, shortly after Shawna Forde's arrest:

A curious tangential tidbit: Shawna Forde claims to have formerly worked as a "youth counselor" (amongst several other professions).

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Huffington Post
Shawna Forde, Minutemen Leader, Arrested In Double Killing In Arizona

BOB CHRISTIE · Associated Press · 06/13/09 06:52 PM

PHOENIX — Two of three people arrested in a southern Arizona home invasion that left a little girl and her father dead had connections to a Washington state anti-illegal immigration group that conducts border watch activities in Arizona.

Jason Eugene Bush, 34, Shawna Forde, 41, and Albert Robert Gaxiola, 42, have been charged with two counts each of first-degree murder and other charges, said Sheriff Clarence Dupnik of Pima County, Ariz.

The trio are alleged to have dressed as law enforcement officers and forced their way into a home about 10 miles north of the Mexican border in rural Arivaca on May 30, wounding a woman and fatally shooting her husband and their 9-year-old daughter. Their motive was financial, Dupnik said.

"The husband who was murdered has a history of being involved in narcotics and there was an anticipation that there would be a considerable amount of cash at this location as well as the possibility of drugs," Dupnik said.

Forde is the leader of Minutemen American Defense, a small border watch group, and Bush goes by the nickname "Gunny" and is its operations director, according to the group's Web site. She is from Everett, Wash., has recently been living in Arizona and was once associated with the better known and larger Minuteman Civil Defense Corps.

A statement attributed to officers of Forde's group and posted on its Web site on Saturday extended condolences to the victims' families and said the group doesn't condone such acts and will cooperate with law enforcement.

"This is not what Minutemen do," said member Chuck Stonex, who responded to an e-mail from The Associated Press sent through the Web site. "Minutemen observe, document and report. This is nothing more than a cold-hearted criminal act, and that is all we want to say."

The assailants planned to leave no one alive, Dupnik said at a press conference in Tucson on Friday. He said Forde was the ringleader.

"This was a planned home invasion where the plan was to kill all the people inside this trailer so there would be no witnesses," Dupnik said. "To just kill a 9-year-old girl because she might be a potential witness to me is just one of the most despicable acts that I have heard of."

Dupnik said Forde continued working through Friday to raise a large amount of money to make her anti-illegal immigrant operation more sophisticated.

Forde denied involvement as she was led from sheriff's headquarters.

"No, I did not do it," she said. "I had nothing to do with it."

Gaxiola also denied involvement; Bush was arrested at a Kingman, Ariz., hospital where he was being treated for a leg wound he allegedly received when the woman who survived the attack managed to get a gun and fire back.

Killed were 9-year-old Brisenia Flores and her 29-year-old father, Raul Junior Flores. The name of the wounded woman who survived the attack hasn't been released.

Forde is well known in the anti-illegal immigration community, said Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University-San Bernardino.

"She's someone who even within the anti-immigration movement has been labeled as unstable," Levin said. "She was basically forced out of another anti-immigrant group, the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, and then founded her own organization."

Stonex, of Alamagordo, N.M., said he met Forde while on an Arizona border watch operation last fall, and liked her despite her reputation in the Minutemen community.

"I know she's always had sort of a checkered past but I take people for what I see and not what I hear," the 57-year-old said.

She recruited him to start a new chapter in New Mexico, but was secretive about her group or its members. Stonex said he didn't know how to recruit for a chapter and never did.

He said Forde called him on the day of the attack while he was visiting Arizona and asked him to bring bandages to an Arivaca home because Bush had been wounded. Stonex said it appeared Bush had a relatively minor gunshot wound, which he treated.

He said Forde and Bush told him Bush been wounded by a smuggler who shot at him while the group were patrolling the desert.

Stonex said he didn't suspect that might not be the case until was contacted by a deputy on Saturday about their alleged involvement in the crime.

__

On the Net:

Minuteman American Defense: http://minutemenamericandefense.org

Copyright © 2011 TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline cmack

• View Profile
Arbinger Principles
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
I like the principles and can see how their practice can be beneficial in interpersonal, family, and business relationships. The question is how well they can be implemented in any program.

http://www.arbinger.com/downloads/princ ... olence.pdf

THE ARBINGER PRINCIPLES OF NONVIOLENCE

The Arbinger Institute is the worldwide leader in scholarship, information, and training
regarding the age-old problem of “self-deception” and its solution. Arbinger’s work
demonstrates that there is much more to violence and crises involving violence than
meets the eye. The prevailing view of violence is that it is a behavioral issue. But this is
incorrect. Violence is actually a matter of what is called “way of being”—the way one
person, whatever his behavior, is seeing and responding to another at any given time.
An outward act of violence is actually a symptom of this deeper violence—violence in
one’s way of being. There is no real or lasting solution to outward violence without a
solution to this deeper violence.

The solution to violence grows out of the following foundational principles:

1. Every human being is a PERSON—a being with hopes, needs, cares, and fears.

2. When we regard others’ hopes, needs, cares, and fears as inferior to, or less
legitimate than, our own, we see others as less than they are—as objects rather
than as people.

3. To see a fellow person as an inferior object is to harbor a violent heart toward
that person.

4. No matter our outward behavior, we end up communicating how we feel about
others. To see others as objects, then, is to do violence to them—it is to swing at
them with our hearts.

5. When others detect violence in our hearts, they tend to become defensive and to
see US as objects. Violence in one heart provokes violence in others.

6. Most occasions of outward violence are manifestations of a prior, and often
escalating, conflict between violent hearts. And attempts to curb violence, if
done with a violent heart, actually provoke further violence.

7. Any effort to reduce outward violence will succeed only to the extent that it
addresses the prior and core problem—the problem of violent hearts.

Arbinger has been helping organizations replace violence and conflict with cooperation
and peace for over 20 years. For an introduction to this work, see Arbinger’s recent
book, Leadership and Self-Deception, available at amazon.com and at bookstores
nationwide.

For information regarding Arbinger’s Nonviolent Crisis Training and other
programs, please contact Arbinger.
© 2000 1 -800-307-9415
The ARBINGER Institute http://www.arbinger.com

Offline cmack

• View Profile
Review of Arivaca Boys Ranch
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 05:28:40 PM »
I'm reluctant to post Tom's whole review, but I think it is worth reading for anyone interested in Arivaca.

http://www.familylight.com/link3/3.03/3 ... rivaca.htm

The principal partner (yes, there are silent partners who have invested and are not visible) is Ron Searle, a man who has had a thirty year career as an educator, most recently on the faculty at Arizona State University.

It is a true diamond first and foremost because of the relationship basis of the program (key staff with staff, key staff with boys, and boys with boys).  We frankly are not aware of any other teen program with a more intense relationship basis, and there are clearly a number of programs that in the range we usually deal with that are outstanding in this regard.  This exceeds the best of them.

However in both cases (Arivaca and  Intermountain) the first goal with each boy is keeping the him physically and emotionally safe rather than demanding behavioral conformity, as is true in most programs.    Think carefully about that.   Almost every teen program we are familiar with, including those we give high marks for relationship based interaction, puts a very high priority on conformity to behavioral expectations.  At Arivaca, if it isn’t tied to safety, in most instances the staff will follow Arbinger principles and let the boy deviate from the expectations.

This explains the beds that are unmade or made sloppily, for example. Boys will come on board in time.  Rebellion is no fun when there is no one to fight against.  We think the long established high quality mainstream programs should stop and take a look at this.  The payoff is a more rapid and complete buy-in by the boys than we have seen in more typically run programs.

Tom says, “When I meet with students in a program, I consistently ask the students, ‘What are three things you would change about this program?’   I heard answers like I had never heard before in any program.   The three of the most common:  ‘Free up Ron from administrative duties so he can spend all of his time with us,’ ‘Allow us to stay longer and don’t make us go home so soon,’  and ‘Get Ron more money.’    Note that the third answer related to the fact that the boys trust Ron to spend any available resources on them.  (A fourth answer was ‘Don’t let the program get bigger,’ but it is growing).   I have never seen teenage boys – even teenage boys who were not previously severely oppositional – develop such intense loyalty and frankly affection for the adults to whom they are responsible.”    

When Loi Eberle commented on the program to us in an email, she said (quoted with permission):  “The student residents are given a lot of room to choose to cooperate, which sometimes involves someone riding off into the sunset on their horse, and ultimately turning around and coming back.”  She expressed it better than I could.  The boys are not molded or forced to do much.  They are kept safe. Physically and emotionally safe. They are invited and encouraged to do things the program thinks will be good for them.  Some do not do so immediately, but after a time they all do.  The boys do not at any time feel coerced or put down.  When we describe the flexibility, it sounds like anarchy, but it anything but anarchy.  This is the most self regulated group of boys we have ever seen not just in a therapeutic environment but in any other places that boys congregate.  Ron Searle explains it by saying, “The boys begin to do the things we want them to do when to do so is really who they are.  We don’t encourage phony compliance.”  

While boys will be able to progress with accumulating academic credits and might even catch up from being behind, this is not a high powered academic environment for students who should be getting a strong academic challenge.   Students with special academic needs will get learning support.  The academic area leaves room for improvement, a fact Ron Searle does not attempt to hide.  

We would like to see this or another program that has a similar relationship base also offer the clinical and educational sophistication that we see in some of the better programs that are well established.   But we never forget the great body of research that that says most of the them, quality relationships are far more important to positive outcome than clinical sophistication.  In almost every case we would prefer a setting with this kind of relationship base and lacking clinical sophistication over the clinically sophisticated setting that does not sustain quality interpersonal relationships.

It did not appear that any of the boys we spoke with directly had gone to Arivaca from wilderness.   However, Ron advises that they have had a few boys come from wilderness. He says those boys got into the program more quickly, but after a month in the program at Arivaca there was no observable difference between their progress and that of the boys who had come directly to Arivaca. Since this program can stand alone effectively in preparing boys to “buy into” treatment and personal growth, we do not recommend a wilderness program prior to Arivaca unless it is needed for assessment purposes,  prior to selecting a longer term program.  

I'm uncomfortable with any program that holds people against their will, and I'd like to know what their communication policy is regarding letters and phone calls and whether they are monitored, but in total Arivaca seems to be a rather soft program as such places go.

N.O.S.O.B.

Re: Arivaca Boys Ranch
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »

Offline natso

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »
My son was at the ranch from December 2010 until October 2011.  Is the place perfect NO.... not even close.  That said, the people who operate the ranch care more for the boys then they do for themselves.  The boys work hard both physically and mentally.  The therapeutic staff pushes the kids and parents a like.  

I won't waste time telling my son's entire story and now that he has been home for a couple of months I can say we have had some pretty big ups and downs but there is not a doubt in my mind that the ranch was worth every penny we paid and every tear we shed for my son.

If your seriously considering ABR or someplace similar, I'm happy to answer questions.  [email protected].  Please mention Arivaca in the subject so I don't assume your spam.

Offline cmack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 04:09:28 PM »
Quote from: "natso"
My son was at the ranch from December 2010 until October 2011.  Is the place perfect NO.... not even close.  That said, the people who operate the ranch care more for the boys then they do for themselves.  The boys work hard both physically and mentally.  The therapeutic staff pushes the kids and parents a like.  

I won't waste time telling my son's entire story and now that he has been home for a couple of months I can say we have had some pretty big ups and downs but there is not a doubt in my mind that the ranch was worth every penny we paid and every tear we shed for my son.

If your seriously considering ABR or someplace similar, I'm happy to answer questions.  [email protected].  Please mention Arivaca in the subject so I don't assume your spam.

Thanks for posting. First-hand accounts are always welcomed. What improvements do you think they should make. One major concern many people have regarding such programs is the restricted communication between parents and children. Were letters and phone calls monitored/censored? How were complaints handled if students thought they had been mistreated or their rights violated?

Please ask your son if he would be willing to share his perspective on Arivaca and his time there.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
Quote from: "natso"

Thanks for posting, natso.

Fwiw, re. your son's current coping strategies, being out of a program for a coupla months is not necessarily an accurate reflection of how he may be behaving a year or so down the line. Not wishing to put a big damper on your current enthusiasm, but... the real effects are unlikely to surface for some time. Subjecting anyone, especially a kid, to any kind of thought coercion is to regress them. How they are later able to piece themselves together again ... remains to be seen.

As for the staff "car[ing] more for the boys then they do for themselves," while all very laudable, this doesn't necessarily translate into the use of sound psychological practices, despite however noble the intentions may have been. Just sayin' ...

Having said all that, I do hope things work out for you and your son, and that my concerns can be roundly discounted at some later date.

Offline unicorn33

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 02:45:08 AM »
PLEASE parents, get your kids out of this Ranch. They are making 2,250,000 dollars every 6 months for the 50 kids that are enrolled.THEY WANT YOU MONEY< AND WILL ABUSE YOUR LITTLE CHILD!!!!!! I am a SURVIVOR of an out of the country program, where we were abused, harrassed, humiliated and brain washed through 25 seminars.They SHUT this program down, and about 20+ more. PLEASE google about the abuse FOUND at this ranch! And any WWASPS or progam like this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE trust me when i tell you al this, if you dont agree, to each their own. I feel compelled to let everyone know in any way i can. I know more about these programs than i will say on here, if you wan to know more of my personal experiences, contact me at [email protected]

Thank you

Offline wesleyhc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 08:34:23 PM »
Hallows is now a administrator at Ariviaca boys ranch. Ariviaca has almost the same schedule as Casa. I just wanted to let you know from personal expierience that he was also a part of High Impact. If you havent heard of it look it up. I was threatned by Luke himself that if I didnt work the program that I would be sent there. They contacted my parents and were going to send me but my parents decided to pull me out of Casa By The Sea. Bolth Casa By The Sea and High Impact were shut down by mexican authorities. Casa was closed in 2004 and High Impact in 2001. Believe me he may seem like a great guy but the only reason he is doing what hes doing is because the money. I would not ever dream of having anyone like that in my childrens lives.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Luke Hallows at Arivaca Boys Ranch
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 09:37:14 PM »
Quote from: "wesleyhc"
Hallows is now a administrator at Ariviaca boys ranch. Ariviaca has almost the same schedule as Casa. I just wanted to let you know from personal expierience that he was also a part of High Impact. If you havent heard of it look it up. I was threatned by Luke himself that if I didnt work the program that I would be sent there. They contacted my parents and were going to send me but my parents decided to pull me out of Casa By The Sea. Bolth Casa By The Sea and High Impact were shut down by mexican authorities. Casa was closed in 2004 and High Impact in 2001. Believe me he may seem like a great guy but the only reason he is doing what hes doing is because the money. I would not ever dream of having anyone like that in my childrens lives.
• Luke Hallows' Facebook profile:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Luke-Hal ... 2109391040

[/list]

• What is currently publicly available on Luke Hallows' LinkedIn profile:

Luke Hallows
Administrator at Arivaca Boys Ranch
Tucson, Arizona Area | Ranching

Luke Hallows's Overview[/list]
      CurrentAdministrator at Arivaca Boys Ranch
      Connections2 connections[/list][/size]
      Luke Hallows's Experience

Administrator
      Arivaca Boys Ranch

May 2007 – Present (4 years 8 months)

LinkedIn Corporation © 2011

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Arivaca Boys Ranch - staff list (fr. HEAL-online)
      « Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »
      HEAL-online's staff list for Arivaca Boys Ranch... Luke Hallows is noted here as "Interim Director/Administrator":

This is a staff list for Arivaca Boys Ranch in Arivaca, AZ
      (we are working to acquire the complete records for ALL years)

We advise current and/or former staff to report any abuses you may have witnessed while working at Arivaca Boys Ranch.  For information on your rights and how to take action, visit http://www.heal-online.org/blowthewhistle.htm.  If you were fired or forced to resign because you opposed any illegal and/or unethical practices at Arivaca Boys Ranch, you have the right to take action.

If you were harmed (family or survivor) by Arivaca Boys Ranch, please contact [email protected] if you remember the long-term employees and from which years. This will help! Also, if you recognize any of these staff as having worked at another program, please send in any information about their past or present employment at other facilities and/or cults.

Please don't place your loved one in Arivaca Boys Ranch and rescue them if they are there now.

Name ... Unit/Position ... Additional Information

Ron Searle ... Managing Partner ... Owner at The Diamond Consortium. Also formerly with LDS Church Education (Mormon).
        D. Hyrum Wright ... Clinical Director ... Graduate of BYU (Brigham Young University--birthplace of abusive outdoor programs.) Formerly with the Tempe Institute (LDS).
        Glenn Banks Jr. ... Therapist ... Formerly with the Anasazi Foundation. Also formerly with the Air National Guard.
        Mike & Margaret Stroud ... Directors ... Educated at BYU.
        Boyd Anderson ... Facilities
        Luke Hallows ... Interim Director/Administrator ... Luke Hallows is formerly with WWASPS, specifically the Casa by the Sea program which is/was confirmedly abusive and closed as a result.
        Phil Winch ... Mentor ... Graduate of BYU. Formerly worked at an unnamed "ranch" and unnamed wilderness program.
        Ted Snow ... Cattle Program Mgr.
        Allison Kellis ... Wrangler
        Don Conover ... Wrangler
        Dallin Whipple ... Wrangler
        Carter Poulsen ... CFO
        Norm King ... Partner
        John Poulsen ... Partner
        Clif Pinckard ... Partner[/list][/size]
         * (Arivaca Boys Ranch, like many other programs in this industry, keeps a "tight lid" on any specific information regarding their staff, qualifications, and practices.  Please contact us with the names of any staff of which you have firsthand knowledge or experience. Thank you for your help.)

Last Updated: September 19th, 2010

N.O.S.O.B.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Arivaca Boys Ranch - The Staff
        « Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »
        Arivaca Boys Ranch's current staff lineup... Apparently Luke Hallows is now Operations Director:

The Staff

Managing Director
        Ron Searle, MBA, "Horse Whisperer"

Ron lives on the ranch oversees all of it's operations. He tries to be personally involved with the boys as much as possible. Ron has 18 years of experience in youth education both as an Instructor and Principal of high school students, and 10 years as a University Instructor at Arizona State University. He also founded and owns The Diamond Consortium in Mesa Arizona. He holds a bachelors degree in family financial counseling and a Masters in Business Administration from Arizona State. He has spent many years counseling and working with struggling youth. He has 30 years of horse experience and is a "horse whisperer." He also has 20 plus years of working with young men in church-related and Boy Scout activities. He has served as a Varsity Scout Coach, a Venture Post Leader, and a Unit Commissioner for the Boy Scout program. Ron’s desire to help young people, and his love of horses, has led to the vision of the Arivaca Boys Ranch and Academy. Ron also is a licensed Arbinger Instructor and is committed to the Arbinger principles as a cultural basis for the ranch. Ron is dedicated to young people and their futures. Ron and his wife Peggy have eight children and are grandparents of seven.

Clinical Director

D. Hyrum Wright, holds an EDS from University of South Carolina in Counseling. He has a Master Degree from Brigham Young University and a Bachelors Degree from the University of Utah. He currently has his own counseling practice. He is also our director of counseling services. He has 20 years of educational experience (current director of the ASU Institute of Religion) and 10 years of counseling experience. Hyrum has experience in "Natural Horsemanship" and is able to draw from his experience with horse to help clients. He has will helped develop both the curriculum for the boys and their parents. He will also help in training staff and counselors in "Natural Horsemanship" to augment their counseling. Hyrum and his wife have three children and currently live in Gilbert, Arizona.

Chris Wallace, Ph.D. – Director, Psychotherapy Senior Facilitator and Consultant.

Trained in psychology and the clinical treatment of families, Chris has been a practicing, doctoral level Marriage & Family Therapist since 1990 and for twelve years, was the clinical director at ANASAZI Foundation, a nationally recognized youth treatment program in Mesa, Arizona utilizing the wilderness to bring about a change of heart in struggling youth and their families. Dr. Wallace is senior facilitator for the Arbinger Institute since 1993 and has been a teacher and consultant in the United States and Europe in many industries, including healthcare, military, government, aerospace, retailing, biotechnology, service and professional groups, and tele-communications, among others. Dr. Wallace also serves as a senior consultant for Arbinger's Continuing Education Program.

Therapists
        Dave Jensen, LMSW

For over nine years Dave has been working with adolescents, young adults and the families that care for them. Dave has worked with youth and young adults in hospitals, outpatient clinics, group homes, wilderness therapy and now is proud to be associated with Arivaca Boys Ranch. Dave earned his BA in Religious Studies from Arizona State University with the intent to transition the skills and knowledge acquired there into his future counseling career; he went on to earn his Master of Social Work degree from New York University. His studies and training emphasized clinical intervention including, individual, family and group therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and addictions counseling. He has a special interest in helping young adults face the challenges of their world and has seen that the decisions young people make now will shape them for years to come. Dave has worked with the Arbinger Institute for nine years and believes strongly that problems exist in relationships rather than in individuals, and that people have the fundamental ability to change their hearts and their lives. This philosophy informs his therapy as he emphasizes a strengths based and solution focused approach.

Tyler Hoyt

Tyler has been at the ranch since May 2010.  He is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of Arizona. He, prior to working at Arivaca Ranch, came from a children's outpatient 0 to 5 clinic where he did family therapy, play therapy, and much work with adoptive and foster families; he also worked with families attempting to rehabilitate and reunify with their children after being involved with Child Protective Services (CPS). Before that Tyler was trained in Functional Family Therapy (FFT), by James Alexander, and worked as an in-home interventionist of struggling teenage children and their families. He received his Masters of Science degree at Oklahoma State University's accredited marriage and family therapy program. He was mentored under an esteemed couple's researcher and clinician, and worked with couples who adopted children with special needs through the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative. Tyler earned his Bachelors of Science degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development from Brigham Young University where he met his wife, the mother of their four children. He and his family live in the Tucson area.

Xela Goodman

After receiving her bachelor's degree in History and Education, Xela served in the Peace Corps for nearly three years as a school and community resource volunteer in South Africa. It was in this foreign environment where Xela developed her adventurous spirit and fully understood and embraced her passion for being of service to others. Upon returning from her overseas adventure, Xela received her Master's Degree in Social Work from Arizona State University. She first began her clinical experience working with adults who have been diagnosed with a serious mental illness where she ran group therapy and served as an advocate. After working with the adult population, Xela took on the challenge of working with adolescents and was captivated. For several years, Xela worked as a clinician at two different wilderness therapeutic programs before finding her way to Arivaca Boys Ranch. She has experience working with a variety of issues including defiance, substance abuse, depression, trauma and more. Xela typically uses art therapy and mindfulness techniques to aid her strengths based and systems perspective, Gestalt approach. It is Xela's hope that the teens she works with will gain a better sense of self and confidence while learning effective coping and interpersonal skills.

Glenn Banks, Jr., is a Licensed, Independent Substance Abuse Counselor and holds a Masters Degree in Marriage, Family, and Child Therapy from the University of Phoenix.  He also holds a Bachelors Degree in Political Science from Arizona State University.  He has 12 years of experience working in the helping professions.  He was a trailwalker for the Anasazi Youth Wilderness program.  He became the Clinical Director for the dually-adjudicated youth program at Prehab of Arizona.  He performed an internship with Empact SPC of Tempe, AZ counseling individuals, couples, and families, and at the same time, he worked for the Maricopa County Mobile Crisis Unit.  During his 7 years working for ValueOptions and Magellan of AZ, he assessed individuals for SMI (Seriously Mentally Ill) benefits.  He attained the rank of Eagle Scout with the Boy Scouts of America and has been a Scoutmaster for 4 years.  Glenn served our country for 6 years in the United States Air Force as an encryptionist; including service with the 106th Air Group in the Arizona Air National Guard.

Operations Manager
        Luke Hallows

Luke has helped direct two youth schools in the last 14 years as well as built three youth programs from the ground up. He has experience in training staffs and developing facilities for new programs. He also has experience as an enrollment counselor. Luke as owned his own landscape business and has a variety of experience in construction and maintenance. Luke loves to be around young men, and they love to be around him. Boys learn to love hard work under Luke's tutelage. Luke and his wife have five children and live in nearby Sahaurita.

Program Director
        Matt Howard

Our program director Matt Howard calls the ranch home. He lives there with his wife Rachelle and their two young children Eli and Jonathan. The Howards share years of experience helping teens in wilderness therapy. Life long students of the Arbinger Institute it is their belief that lasting change comes only when a trusted friend makes an unassuming invitation to change. They hope to be such a friend to the boys at the ranch.

Both Matt and Rachelle attended Brigham Young University where Matt received a Bachelor degree in English Language and Rachelle a Masters degree in Marriage Family and Human Development. Matt takes care of the day-to-day operations of the ranch. Whether its planning the daily schedule, showing the ranch to guests, or driving the tractor he's there to pitch in. Rachelle opens her home to the boys once a week where she teaches the boys a class about morality and values. Eli and Jonathan are "little brothers" to all the boys, proving a never ending source of love and admiration.The Howards delight at the opportunity to learn from and love each boy that comes to the Ranch.

Academic Director
        Devin Tarwater

"Born and raised in Tempe, Arizona. Earned Eagle Scout at the age of 13.
        Participated in Freshman, JV, and Varsity tennis and Marching Band in High School. Lived in Italy for two years as a service volunteer. Taught Italian for three years in Provo, Utah. Graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in Economics and a degree in Italian. Started working at Arivaca Boys Ranch in May 2010 and enjoys every minute helping the boys work towards their academic success. Devin is currently preparing to attend law school to pursue a career in either immigration or sports law, but he doesn't let that distract him from doing the best he can to help build men of integrity on the ranch."

Enrollment Director
        Kathy Cazier

Our Director of Enrollment came to us from ITT Technical Institute In Spokane. She understands and supports the value of education in the future of our young men. You will find a willing and understanding ear to discuss your son and our program here at Arivaca Boys Ranch. She raised 7 children and she and her three youngest children have been thru the Arbinger programs. She can answer all your questions and help you thru the sometimes daunting task of finding the right program for your son and assisting in the enrollment process itself.

Academic Assistant
        Jill Farrel

A retired special ed teacher of 30 years, Jill Farrell serves as our tutor. Her indomitable spirit and cheery smile rub off on even the most reluctant of students. While Jill is there to help all the boys with their questions her primary responsibility is to help boys who are in need of special accommodations. Jill is also our connection to the local library, supplying books for the ranches many book worms.

Director of Food Services (Ranch Chef)
        Jon Sharp

Jon Sharpe is our ranch chef. Hired as "the cook" but the quality of his
        cooking quickly promoted his title to "chef". Jon has worked in many resorts in southern Arizona as a chef.

Jon can often be found sharing bits of wisdom and encouragement with the boys as he serves up meals. A quiet example of honest living, Jon is liked and respected by all the boys. They show their respect by keeping Jon's kitchen rules: no cussing in the kitchen, respect to elders, and dinner before dessert.

Jon is also an accomplished carpenter and teaches a woodworking class twice a week.

Assistant Food Specialist
        Chonchita Alverez, 35

Conchita lives in Arivaca. She has work at the Post Office, Community Human Resources, and Carivaca (care center). Conchita loves the young men at the ranch as much as they love and respect her. She is a great asset to the program.

Special Activities Director
        Lolo DeMarco – 25

Lolo lives in Tucson. She is enrolled in school majoring in Recreational Management and Youth Leadership. She is minoring in psychology. Lolo finds joy in her personal interaction and relationships with each boy she serves.

Staff (Wranglers)
        Ricky Lyman 24

Ricky lives in Gilbert, AZ. He loves the outdoors, camping, and fishing. He loves to spend time with the boys camping, riding horses, and special activities. Ricky states, "I love to see the miracles unfold in these boys lives as they slowly change and become men of integrity."

Jordan Mayberry 24

Jordan has studied at Eastern Arizona College and hopes to continue to become a high school teacher. He loves being a big brother to the young men at the ranch and sets a great example. He finds great satisfaction in seeing these young men change their lives and loves being a part of this transformation.

Chris Hoerner 23

Chris is a graduate of the University of New Hampshire. He has a degree in Social Work and a Minor in Outdoor Educatio. He wants to be a flight nurse. Chris loves building relationships with each individual boy at the ranch.

KJ (Kevin Johnson) - 23

KJ grew up in Delta Utah but made his way to Arizona. He now lives in Mesa. He is interested in attending Law School. For now, he loves spending time at the ranch, working with horses and learning. He most loves developing relationships with the young men here and watching them grow.

Kyle Fuller 22

Kyle lives in Mesa. He is currently in a program training to be a "myropractor." He likes being with the boys. He like the Arbinger principles, and he loves the ranch setting.

Jeff Hoskins 25

Jeff lives in Gilbert. He hopes to pursue a career in electrical engineering. Jeff loves watching how the ranch makes such a difference in young men's lives.

Dan Wooten

Jeff Nielson 22

Jeff has been at the ranch nearly a year. The boys respect and look up to him. He is an active outdoorsman who camps, rappels, and loves to ride horses. Jeff lives in Mesa and has recently enlisted in the Marines. He will be leaving shortly. He will be missed by all the boys who love him.

Collin Perryman 27

Collin comes from California. He has a degrees from Arizona State University and is starting a PHD program in Montana in the fall. He hopes to become a therapist. Collin adds maturity and insight to our wrangler staff.

Scott Spencer 23

Scott wants to study architecture. He lives in Mesa. "I really like being able to see boys change for the better. It is an inspiration to me."

Brennan Kartchner 22

Brennan attends the University of Arizona. He is majoring in Political Science. Brennan is an expert guitar player and currently plays in two bands. He shares his talents with the ranch and many boys are learning guitar. He is interested in a career in politics.

Austin Cazier 22

Austin attends school in Tucson where he lives. He is majoring in Developmental Psychology and interested in a career in education. He plays the drums and gives the boys drum lessons when he is on shift. The young men love Austin and he is a great example

Nathan Smith

Chris Bawden

Shawn Nichols

Ryker Kizzar

Stetson Kizzar

Jeremy Buehner

--------------

Arivaca Boys Ranch - General Partners and Board:

Ron Searle - Managing Partner
          Carter Poulsen - CFO
          Partners - Norm King, John Poulsen, Clif Pinckard

© Copyright 2011, Arivaca Boys Ranch, a therapeutic ranch for boys, located in Arizona, but boys come from around the country. Phone: 877­-886-9766

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        (1st?) "Luke Hallows," p.1 (from antiwwasp.us)
        « Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
        There are more than a few posts mentioning Luke Hallows and his previous stint at Casa by the Sea in a coupla threads on antiwwasps.us, both titled "Luke Hallows."

Here's the first page of what I'm guessing is the first thread:

(1st?) Luke Hallows (page 1)

Char  07-25-2007    #1
          Luke was one of the admin at Casa. He was mormon, and more then likely related to either Dace, Jade or Jason? But maybe not. I never hear anything about Luke anymore, but I have not forgotten him. Anyone else from Casa want to comment?
        kev  07-25-2007    #2
          nice char, i've personally never even heard of this guy.
        bill.boyles  08-06-2007    #3
          yeah luke was a dick but strangely i viewed him as the least likely to nail me to the wall for something. he always seemed to be defending us to jason and kind of keeping jason off us some. that said, he was still a dick and he has seemed to drop off the map.....strange, these people never seem to go away. maybe i need to do some looking.
        RockyKandolaC320  09-02-2007    #4
          yea he was a admin at casa
        kev  09-02-2007    #5
          hey bill, do you want to make a new most wanted entry for this guy, you're better typing em up.
        bill.boyles  09-05-2007    #6
          Luke Hallows- former asst director, casa by the sea

he wasn't on the list before because i couldn't remember his last name.
        Char  09-05-2007    #7
          someones slipping....
        Lily_Shatteredsoul  09-05-2007    #8
          i remember him... barely but i do remember him. i never really talked to him because "i have a problem with autority" so i just most of the time kept my distance from the staff. i have trust issues.
        MorganJensen  09-14-2007    #9
          i dont know what happened to him, but he was from AZ not Utah and his wife was Dace's sister. he didnt seem as crazy as everyone else.
        bill.boyles  09-15-2007    #10
          yeah he really didn't, which is too bad. i haven't seen his name pop up again. maybe he got a real job and quit abusing children.
        Char  09-16-2007    #11
          really? i thought he was a cocky prick. not as bad as jason, but still a jerk. if dace is his wifes brother, i'm sure he is still under the radar working in a wwasp program.
        bill.boyles  09-16-2007    #12
          he was a cocky prick. but in that place, comparatively, he practically had a freaking halo, which is really quite sad.
        Miss MillA  09-21-2007    #13
          I think he had a "relationship" with the girl that got trainer.... i was not the only person who noticed that either. she would go into his office alone and yea. i would really like to see that douche bag get what he deserves.....
        bill.boyles  09-21-2007    #14
          really? i guess i wouldn't have known her. i left there april 00. i was trainer in casa. i would like to promise luke never tried to have a "relationship" with me, though.
        Miss MillA  09-22-2007    #15
          ya i would hope not.... she was trainer in 03 right before i left and graduated with me! you wre not there when i was there at al! remember mr and mrs goulding? the head school people or what ever dace made his parents be??? i think they were totally clueless to the whole thing that was going on.... very very dumb. they were nice tho
        kev  09-22-2007    #16
          that's crazy he brought his parents to the facility. what did they do? did they have positions in the company??
        Miss MillA  09-22-2007    #17
          They were like head of the schooling part i guess.. im kinda unclear. mrs goulding was the head of complaints by the students too hahahahahahahaha what a joke. they were just old rich retirees that had nothing better to do than pretend that they care about us kids. they actually lived there in big gated community behind casa.
        bill.boyles  09-23-2007    #18
          they weren't there when i was there. dace did the academics at casa when i was there, which was also his job in samoa when i was in samoa.
        Miss MillA  09-25-2007    #19
          Yea his parents did that... dace was head of everything, including flying his personal helicopter (he bought with our parents money im sure) to find run aways and crap!
        bill.boyles  09-25-2007    #20
          damn. that place sure changed after i left. he had just gotten a boat i think when i left. definitely no helicopter. i think they had a couple vans....
        Miss MillA  09-25-2007    #21
          haha they were like the army when i was there! it changed a ton while i was there too! like rules and the stuff they did...
        bill.boyles  09-25-2007    #22
          that is always the case with a dictator who is losing his grip on a country, too.
        MorganJensen  09-25-2007    #23
          it was mr fitch that ran the academics when i was there. his wife was the nurse. their kid was in samoa and took his exit plan and then they let him work there, doing maintence type stuff.
        Miss MillA  09-25-2007 #24
          mr fitch? i dont remember a mr fitch there at all. must have moved on by the time i was there. the nurse was perla or something and she was mean
        bill.boyles  09-25-2007    #25
          what was the kid's name? are you talking about cale fitch? i was in that kid's family! was it him?

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        (1st?) "Luke Hallows," p.2 (from antiwwasp.us)
        « Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 01:32:12 PM »
        Same thread, second page...

(1st?) Luke Hallows (page 2)

Miss MillA  09-25-2007    #26
          naw what morgan wrote above... sounds like a dace or something
        bill.boyles  09-26-2007    #27
          yeah, his mom's (the wife's) name was jan. i think the last name was "fritch" though not fitch.....they came to casa right when i was leaving maybe, but cale wasn't working there yet.....i guess we have new additions to the most wanted list.
        Miss MillA  09-26-2007    #28
          I dont know who those people are. they must have peaced out before i got there or maybe they were just on the boys side?
        Char  09-26-2007    #29
          mr and mrs fritch were there when i arrived at casa in 1998. jan was the nurse and the husband, i can't remember his name, was incharge of acedemics. they actually got a divorce and both quit working at the program. i never knew their son though...
        Miss MillA  09-26-2007    #30
          Ya they had some mexican lady who was the nurse! she was so mean! you would get introuble for everything! when i was there some girl had a ingrown toenail and she just ripped it out of the poor girls foot! no pain meds no anistesia no nothing!
        kev  10-01-2007    #31
          Ok, Luke Hallows name has been added to the Most Wanted List.

Luke Hallows - Former Assistant Director, Casa by the Sea.
        Shut um all down  10-06-2007    #32
          Luke is married to Rennie Hallows, she does the parent orientations via phone for us parents. She is Dace Goulding's sister. Anybody know anything about Dace Goulding??? Please advise.
        Miss MillA  10-06-2007    #33
          yea... i know about his parents and him
        Char  10-06-2007    #34
          I can tell that Rennie and Dace are related now that i think about it. she needs to be added to the most wanted list as well!!!
        bill.boyles  10-07-2007    #35
          i don't think i ever met her....but this basically proves that luke is still involved somehow. too bad, i was hoping maybe one of them saw the light.
        Char  10-20-2007    #36
          kev, i think its important to name luke as the brother in law to dace goulding on the most wanted list. these losers are all related one way or another and i think we should call them out on it!
        kev  10-20-2007    #37
          k, i'll put him up, but its kinda weird to just say "Luke Robinson - brother of Dace Goulding." because it doesn't link him to anything besides being a sibling of wwasp staff. did he actually do anything at all in the school we can say he did?
        bill.boyles  10-20-2007    #38
          luke HALLOWS, brother in law of dace goulding, asst director at casa by the sea, now affiliated with teen help
          rennie hallows, parent services- teen help, sister of dace goulding, wife of luke hallows
        kev  10-21-2007    #39
          you da man bill.
        kev  10-21-2007    #40
          k, luke was already up there but i changed his entry, and added his wife too.
        Char  10-21-2007    #41
          was he really asst director? cause i thought he was just like administration. like jade and jason?
        bill.boyles  10-21-2007    #42
          i don't know. jason was the director, jade and luke were his right-hand-men, so....dace was the owner, but he wasn't really involved in the day-to-day. jason ran the place, which makes him the director. luke and jade helped jason, which makes them assistants.
        Char  10-21-2007    #43
          see, i was pretty sure that dace was the director of casa. and jade, jason and luke were the administration. jason was def not the offical director. he was a henchmen like the rest of them doing dace's biddings...
        Miss MillA  10-24-2007    #44
          i think his status changed... he was director of the girls side or admin... he had full control over the girls side and everything. it mite have changed when there became tons of students there
        bill.boyles  10-24-2007    #45
          sometimes it seemed like they didn't even know who was the boss....anyone else get that feeling?
        Miss MillA  10-25-2007    #46
          all the time
        melcarmar  10-25-2007    #47
          i remember the mamas on the girls side would have power trips on the weekends when administration would leave. new, made up, rules whatever b.s. that would give them the feeling of being more powerful.
        Miss MillA  10-27-2007    #48
          yea i remember one time i was dropped... for something stupid... and luke told sonya to put us back up... she didnt wana deal with it and left us down for 3 days (the weekend) after being down 7 already until it was momma shift change and luke came back.. wtf!!!
        MorganJensen  11-10-2007    #49
          that happened on the guys side too. i was temporarily dropped once cause i slammed the door. i actually had just gotten in an argument with one of the staff just outside my door. then i walked in and jumped in the shower. the wind must have shut the door but they said i did it. jason, helped me out with that one.
        Miss MillA  11-10-2007    #50
          haha i hate that crap... what bitches......

# #