Author Topic: Liahona Academy ...PROGRAM  (Read 8515 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Liahona Academy ...PROGRAM
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 01:46:55 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Gayle Palmer DeGraff's connection with Sue Scheff goes back a long way. See the WWASP vs PURE transcripts.  Palmer/Degraff worked with Scheff; and would visit programs for Scheff in what Scheff called the "approval process" of the programs she refers/referred to.

Does Palmer/DeGraff continue to have a working relationship with Scheff? You'd have to ask them.
Considering the close, working relationship between Scheff and Zehnder (CAICA)--if Palmer/DeGraff is still working with Scheff; it stands to reason that she is also working with Zehnder.

GAYLE ::puke::

SUE ::puke::

ISABELLE ::puke::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 02:12:04 AM »
Here is a link to the thoughts of Catherine Sutton on Isabelle and Sue.

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p=264403#264403

Link to Gayle Degraff and Sue Scheff on Wwasp vs Purehttp://www.isaccorp.org/wwasps/wwaspsvpure.pdf

If you read these you will know the connection to Isabelle, Sue, and Gayle.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 06:24:25 PM »
Does anyone have the link to Catherine Sutton's website?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 06:30:01 PM »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
He moved rocks until he died
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »
Source: About Taylor Mangham memorial site

About me

Why was Taylor sent away early on in his 10th grade year? The year started bumpy with poor attitude, failing grades and an attitude that was unacceptable at home and in the classroom. This is not the glorious part of Taylor's life but a story that should be shared if only to help one parent or one young adult. For years, Taylor suffered from childhood depression and ADHD. In earlier years he was using drugs to hide his emotions unbeknown to me; this behavior was unfortunately familiar to me and once again rearing its ugly head within our family. The difference this time, Taylor was a little older with a bit stronger attitude. Taylor always had strong opinions about life and he certainly was never afraid to speak his mind. For example, Taylor would spend countless hours arguing at the dinner table about why on earth he had to do Algebra homework, "it is not going to help me in college" or "what if I don't go to college, all of this is a waste". While it appears all bad, there were many funny moments as well. Sunday was always our day and one day the discussion was brought up about the future, what interests do you have? Is there a specific college that stands out more? Surprisingly, Taylor's response was, “you know mom, I think I'm just going to work at McDonald's, bring home the leftover food at the end of the night and live with you until it's time to put you in a home.” Taylor had an answer for everything...and I loved that he thought ahead of where I would be later in life!!

It was always a delight when Taylor was grounded. He would get in from school and immediately a fight would ensue; I think he thought perhaps my memory was already slipping. Our fight would go back and forth until the ride was out front and Taylor felt our discussion was over and would “bolt out” of the house with, “I can't live here anymore” or, “you're to protective”. As a parent, your heart breaks but you quickly get your wits about you and begin calling friends, friends of friends and naturally no one knew where he was. Hours pass by and worry sets in so you make that dreaded call to the police that your child might be a runaway. This behavior went on for a while with many failed drug tests; my favorite line I ever heard was, “someone blew it in my face at the party over the weekend,” As a parent, it is time to solicit help from health professionals and the family doctor; protective "mom mode" takes over. The first thing to go, the phone. That is the lifeline for all young adults. Naturally, there is a pass code and though it is not given, there are very helpful professionals to assist with gaining access. One word, heartbreaking. Friends you thought were friends aren't, girls you thought were good girls, aren't. I share all of this not to dishonor Taylor, but to honor Taylor because life is short enough and I did not want Taylor lost due to drugs and alcohol. If not for all the support of a few local policemen, his family doctor and therapists it is very likely Taylor would not have survived...at least not from the path he was traveling down with drugs and alcohol. The straw broke when Taylor took the family car on a joy ride...no license and all my thoughts are consumed with his safety, the safety of others and the liability associated with his poor choice one Thursday afternoon.

Things are no doubt rocky around the house with little conversation either way. I spoke with his therapists and doctor whom both agreed for Taylor's survival, he needed something more than what the local facilities offered; we had used them in earlier years. After much research, checking references and second guessing myself every step along the way, the decision was made, a private boys academy in Virgin, Utah. A mother prays and cries....and trusts in God this is the right decision for Taylor; to save my young man's life. The arrangements were made to have Taylor transported by school officials because of the past runaway issues; and you cry as your name is signed on the paperwork to send your baby off. The week of Thanksgiving is surreal as I reflect back on the events. November 23rd, we are having dinner at the table. Taylor was quiet and use to reading his body language, somewhat embarrassed. We had a close friend over for dinner so there was ideal chit chat until Taylor looks at us both and says, “I need help or I am not going to make it.” My heart breaks a little more as I look at my precious young man crying out for help and I am unable to speak of the arrangements that had already been made. We assured Taylor, we would obtain the assistance needed but he also had to commit and be open to the help being offered. The night lingered on very slowly until the cell phone rings at 4:00 AM , November 24th, 2009, the school officials had landed at DFW and would be at the house soon. We are quietly packing his bag, crying and questioning if I am doing the right thing, Virgin, Utah? You are instructed prior to their arrival for pick-up of what you are allowed to say to your child, the child that stole your heart at birth and the older he grew he found the strings and knew exactly which ones to pull; he pulled the hardest one this time. There was paperwork to sign of which is pretty much a blur. What I remember is walking into Taylor's room and being followed by two male adults. I turn on his bedroom light and at that moment, I see the most peaceful child lying in his bed, my baby. I shake Taylor a bit to wake him and say, “Taylor babe, wake up I need you to go with these gentlemen, I love you dearly.” Taylor replies he loves me and pops up, requests a quick shower and out the door they go. I am in another room with a breaking heart and again wondering if I am doing the right thing. The officials advise you along the way of the progress and Taylor's behavior. Not surprising to me to hear was how polite and easy going Taylor was during this entire process. One shared the following, “This was the easiest transport they had ever done. Within 30 minutes Taylor shared everything and why he was 'probably' being sent away.??? As a parent, it's a relief to hear how polite your child was and how open he was to complete strangers but couldn't be with me, the parent that loved him unconditionally? No, your heart (that little word again) is broken because you already know the next few months will be a challenge for us both considering we have never been separated for any length of time. No phone calls, no visits, only letter writing....yes, snail mail. The point system is 100% up to Taylor; he must follow the rules in order to gain points for privleges. Needless to say, precious had many 300 word essays within his first week. Taylor was also put on work detail, yes work detail; this consisted of moving one pile of rocks to another location for no reason at all. I can only imagine the thoughts running through Taylor's mind because he certainly was expressive about things that made no sense to him. Taylor receives a call home once he earns enough points and as you read on, you will note Taylor was working hard for that first call home, to mom. Until then...you speak with a weekly coach on Taylor's progress, therapy, issues, etc. Taylor's counselor's name was Taylor J. Taylor J. was a delightful young man of which I looked forward to our calls because Taylor and I were able to send messages back and forth through him; I am not sure if that was permitted or not?! Wednesday at 3:00 PM became my favorite day and time of the week because I knew it was Taylor J. time to hear about my precious child in their care. Thursday was my next favorite day because I would receive a letter from Taylor; Sunday was letter writing day. I wasn't sure what to expect from the first letter but for the most part, he acknowledged he needed help and was thankful...

As you continue to read on, the tab entitled “Letters” contains the letters home during Taylor's stay at the academy. If I failed to mention it earlier, the academy is an all boy's home with approximately 40 boys whom are there for one reason or another. We had the opportunity to visit the academy in the Spring 2010 and was extremely impressed with the staff as well as the openness of the young men. They shared and demonstrated with us various rituals performed each morning. They explained their days are spent studying a quote which is given on Monday to be passed off by Friday, study school work and therapy. During the first several weeks, the quote beat Taylor and he had a breakdown feeling as though he couldn't complete this program; Taylor J. and the staff counseled Taylor and gave tips on how to break down the quote and learn a section at a time reassuring him he can do anything he puts his mind to. The lightbulb went off with Taylor and he was on fire after that....he would receive the quote on Monday and by Wednesday was passing it off. As you read his letters you will see the progress made and the confidence that existed in such a wonderful young man! The remainder of Taylor's time was spent studying and reading.....Harry Potter series that is. (Many friends are laughing considering Taylor's view on those whom were followers of Harry Potter). Within the gallery contains many photos of our visit to the academy. We were blessed to hear such wonderful stories about Taylor being a leader, assisting wherever he could as well as helping “newbies” adjust to the program. And, so many comments about 'the smile', that contagious smile that never left his face despite the day he was having or his mood.

A few things we did learn while there, The Rock (picture in the gallery). If the boys were struggling and questioning “Dad” about this or that, he would have them pick up the rock and walk and talk out their problems. I must admit, this rock was large and cumbersome and believe I would have forgotten whatever my issue was after only a few steps!!

The other “funny” shared about Taylor was a roommate situation. As I mentioned earlier, Taylor is opinionated and speaks his mind. Taylor was rooming with apparently someone with a similar personality and instead of moving either boy, the desk was taped with a line as well as the room. Well, if that wasn't enough, the argument became someone's book was on the tape, seriously! The young man shared the story and all we could do was laugh. To settle the tape dispute, no book, paper or pen could touch the tape, that was the free space.

As parents, we do all we can to save and protect our children from harm which is exactly what I was doing, saving him from drugs, alcohol and peer pressure that plague so many of our young kids today. Little did I know, what I was working so diligently to save him from Taylor was taken from us due to a Brain Aneursym that had nothing to do with what I was fighting against; a silent killer. There is a letter writen by a young man that shared a room with Taylor that reveals the events of the night. It is painful to read but it gives us insight into Taylor's last moments. This loss of Taylor impacted so many young men at Liahona as well as those at Keller High School and especially our family.

This website was developed for many reasons but the main reason was to bring awareness to what is plaguing our youth on a daily basis and to bring Awareness to Brain Aneurysms. Taylor's last letter home, was the little boy I had so fondly missed but in the end, Taylor found peace. I, like most parents, searched for answers. As a mom of a wonderful young man am available to help those in need, whatever the case may be.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: He moved rocks until he died
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 09:26:47 PM »
Aah. I think ya accidentally lopped off the last two lines (added in at the end):

Quote from: "Oscar"
Source: About Taylor Mangham memorial site

About me

Why was Taylor sent away early on in his 10th grade year? The year started bumpy with poor attitude, failing grades and an attitude that was unacceptable at home and in the classroom. This is not the glorious part of Taylor's life but a story that should be shared if only to help one parent or one young adult. For years, Taylor suffered from childhood depression and ADHD. In earlier years he was using drugs to hide his emotions unbeknown to me; this behavior was unfortunately familiar to me and once again rearing its ugly head within our family. The difference this time, Taylor was a little older with a bit stronger attitude. Taylor always had strong opinions about life and he certainly was never afraid to speak his mind. For example, Taylor would spend countless hours arguing at the dinner table about why on earth he had to do Algebra homework, "it is not going to help me in college" or "what if I don't go to college, all of this is a waste". While it appears all bad, there were many funny moments as well. Sunday was always our day and one day the discussion was brought up about the future, what interests do you have? Is there a specific college that stands out more? Surprisingly, Taylor's response was, “you know mom, I think I'm just going to work at McDonald's, bring home the leftover food at the end of the night and live with you until it's time to put you in a home.” Taylor had an answer for everything...and I loved that he thought ahead of where I would be later in life!!

It was always a delight when Taylor was grounded. He would get in from school and immediately a fight would ensue; I think he thought perhaps my memory was already slipping. Our fight would go back and forth until the ride was out front and Taylor felt our discussion was over and would “bolt out” of the house with, “I can't live here anymore” or, “you're to protective”. As a parent, your heart breaks but you quickly get your wits about you and begin calling friends, friends of friends and naturally no one knew where he was. Hours pass by and worry sets in so you make that dreaded call to the police that your child might be a runaway. This behavior went on for a while with many failed drug tests; my favorite line I ever heard was, “someone blew it in my face at the party over the weekend,” As a parent, it is time to solicit help from health professionals and the family doctor; protective "mom mode" takes over. The first thing to go, the phone. That is the lifeline for all young adults. Naturally, there is a pass code and though it is not given, there are very helpful professionals to assist with gaining access. One word, heartbreaking. Friends you thought were friends aren't, girls you thought were good girls, aren't. I share all of this not to dishonor Taylor, but to honor Taylor because life is short enough and I did not want Taylor lost due to drugs and alcohol. If not for all the support of a few local policemen, his family doctor and therapists it is very likely Taylor would not have survived...at least not from the path he was traveling down with drugs and alcohol. The straw broke when Taylor took the family car on a joy ride...no license and all my thoughts are consumed with his safety, the safety of others and the liability associated with his poor choice one Thursday afternoon.

Things are no doubt rocky around the house with little conversation either way. I spoke with his therapists and doctor whom both agreed for Taylor's survival, he needed something more than what the local facilities offered; we had used them in earlier years. After much research, checking references and second guessing myself every step along the way, the decision was made, a private boys academy in Virgin, Utah. A mother prays and cries....and trusts in God this is the right decision for Taylor; to save my young man's life. The arrangements were made to have Taylor transported by school officials because of the past runaway issues; and you cry as your name is signed on the paperwork to send your baby off. The week of Thanksgiving is surreal as I reflect back on the events. November 23rd, we are having dinner at the table. Taylor was quiet and use to reading his body language, somewhat embarrassed. We had a close friend over for dinner so there was ideal chit chat until Taylor looks at us both and says, “I need help or I am not going to make it.” My heart breaks a little more as I look at my precious young man crying out for help and I am unable to speak of the arrangements that had already been made. We assured Taylor, we would obtain the assistance needed but he also had to commit and be open to the help being offered. The night lingered on very slowly until the cell phone rings at 4:00 AM , November 24th, 2009, the school officials had landed at DFW and would be at the house soon. We are quietly packing his bag, crying and questioning if I am doing the right thing, Virgin, Utah? You are instructed prior to their arrival for pick-up of what you are allowed to say to your child, the child that stole your heart at birth and the older he grew he found the strings and knew exactly which ones to pull; he pulled the hardest one this time. There was paperwork to sign of which is pretty much a blur. What I remember is walking into Taylor's room and being followed by two male adults. I turn on his bedroom light and at that moment, I see the most peaceful child lying in his bed, my baby. I shake Taylor a bit to wake him and say, “Taylor babe, wake up I need you to go with these gentlemen, I love you dearly.” Taylor replies he loves me and pops up, requests a quick shower and out the door they go. I am in another room with a breaking heart and again wondering if I am doing the right thing. The officials advise you along the way of the progress and Taylor's behavior. Not surprising to me to hear was how polite and easy going Taylor was during this entire process. One shared the following, “This was the easiest transport they had ever done. Within 30 minutes Taylor shared everything and why he was 'probably' being sent away.??? As a parent, it's a relief to hear how polite your child was and how open he was to complete strangers but couldn't be with me, the parent that loved him unconditionally? No, your heart (that little word again) is broken because you already know the next few months will be a challenge for us both considering we have never been separated for any length of time. No phone calls, no visits, only letter writing....yes, snail mail. The point system is 100% up to Taylor; he must follow the rules in order to gain points for privleges. Needless to say, precious had many 300 word essays within his first week. Taylor was also put on work detail, yes work detail; this consisted of moving one pile of rocks to another location for no reason at all. I can only imagine the thoughts running through Taylor's mind because he certainly was expressive about things that made no sense to him. Taylor receives a call home once he earns enough points and as you read on, you will note Taylor was working hard for that first call home, to mom. Until then...you speak with a weekly coach on Taylor's progress, therapy, issues, etc. Taylor's counselor's name was Taylor J. Taylor J. was a delightful young man of which I looked forward to our calls because Taylor and I were able to send messages back and forth through him; I am not sure if that was permitted or not?! Wednesday at 3:00 PM became my favorite day and time of the week because I knew it was Taylor J. time to hear about my precious child in their care. Thursday was my next favorite day because I would receive a letter from Taylor; Sunday was letter writing day. I wasn't sure what to expect from the first letter but for the most part, he acknowledged he needed help and was thankful...

As you continue to read on, the tab entitled “Letters” contains the letters home during Taylor's stay at the academy. If I failed to mention it earlier, the academy is an all boy's home with approximately 40 boys whom are there for one reason or another. We had the opportunity to visit the academy in the Spring 2010 and was extremely impressed with the staff as well as the openness of the young men. They shared and demonstrated with us various rituals performed each morning. They explained their days are spent studying a quote which is given on Monday to be passed off by Friday, study school work and therapy. During the first several weeks, the quote beat Taylor and he had a breakdown feeling as though he couldn't complete this program; Taylor J. and the staff counseled Taylor and gave tips on how to break down the quote and learn a section at a time reassuring him he can do anything he puts his mind to. The lightbulb went off with Taylor and he was on fire after that....he would receive the quote on Monday and by Wednesday was passing it off. As you read his letters you will see the progress made and the confidence that existed in such a wonderful young man! The remainder of Taylor's time was spent studying and reading.....Harry Potter series that is. (Many friends are laughing considering Taylor's view on those whom were followers of Harry Potter). Within the gallery contains many photos of our visit to the academy. We were blessed to hear such wonderful stories about Taylor being a leader, assisting wherever he could as well as helping “newbies” adjust to the program. And, so many comments about 'the smile', that contagious smile that never left his face despite the day he was having or his mood.

A few things we did learn while there, The Rock (picture in the gallery). If the boys were struggling and questioning “Dad” about this or that, he would have them pick up the rock and walk and talk out their problems. I must admit, this rock was large and cumbersome and believe I would have forgotten whatever my issue was after only a few steps!!

The other “funny” shared about Taylor was a roommate situation. As I mentioned earlier, Taylor is opinionated and speaks his mind. Taylor was rooming with apparently someone with a similar personality and instead of moving either boy, the desk was taped with a line as well as the room. Well, if that wasn't enough, the argument became someone's book was on the tape, seriously! The young man shared the story and all we could do was laugh. To settle the tape dispute, no book, paper or pen could touch the tape, that was the free space.

As parents, we do all we can to save and protect our children from harm which is exactly what I was doing, saving him from drugs, alcohol and peer pressure that plague so many of our young kids today. Little did I know, what I was working so diligently to save him from Taylor was taken from us due to a Brain Aneursym that had nothing to do with what I was fighting against; a silent killer. There is a letter writen by a young man that shared a room with Taylor that reveals the events of the night. It is painful to read but it gives us insight into Taylor's last moments. This loss of Taylor impacted so many young men at Liahona as well as those at Keller High School and especially our family.

This website was developed for many reasons but the main reason was to bring awareness to what is plaguing our youth on a daily basis and to bring Awareness to Brain Aneurysms. Taylor's last letter home, was the little boy I had so fondly missed but in the end, Taylor found peace. I, like most parents, searched for answers. As a mom of a wonderful young man am available to help those in need, whatever the case may be.

With love, my dearest Taylor......
      Mom
    [/b][/color][/list][/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    Re: Liahona Academy ...PROGRAM
    « Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »
    His mom and another goaler who had her son there became upset with the text of the memorial blog:

Here is the blog entry:

Unknown - 2010 (The name was removed by wish of his mother)

In an remote outskirt of a small town called Virgin in Utah a 15 year old boy suddenly felt a pain in his head. What set this lethal birth defect up is unknown. Was he upset? Was he forced to move stones weighing half his own weight as they force the boys to do as punishment? Did the staff try to restrain him believing that he faked his illness?

We cannot know that. Fact is that the many miles from any hospital meant that he had no chance of survival once the attack came.

On the memorial site created by his mother she explain why he was sent away. Strange and partly dangerous behavior made his mother believe that she had no other choice but to choose a so-called residential treatment center.

But she had another choice. It is common knowledge that tumors or birth defects in the brain can push nerves and interfere with common sense.

But none show his behavior as a symptom of a deadly illness. They only saw a troubled teenager in need of a punishment and punishment he certainly got.

No phone calls, no visits, only letter writing. And the mail was not even by computer. A letter of comfort would take days to reach him.

Days of moving rocks, participating in a in-house school with a curriculum which would have been difficult to get credits for back in Texas. That was the sorry life he had to endure until his body couldn't take it anymore.

Hidden birth defects and brain aneurysm kills a lot of people every year. We need to increase awareness of that. Especially we who are parents need to be on alert so we don't commit the same failure and punish our children instead of taking them to a hospital where they can be examined and if possible treated.

May he rest in peace. His fate must never be forgotten.

Here is the comments:
    To the author:

Prior to you writing about my son, Taylor, you should have taken the time to contact me, his mother, to gain insight about the facts so that you could post correct information. I am outraged by your post and do not believe you are working in the interest of human right organizations; you are exploiting the innocence of children. We have visited countless doctors, therapists, and local hospitals and not one professional said perhaps we need a brain scan. I am my sons greatest fan and went to extreme lengths regarding his personal care. I have letters from my son that do not reflect a vial facility but praised his therapists and the personal triumphs he accomplished in a very short time. You do not know anything about Taylor's last moments nor do you have any idea about the severity of his BA.

Before you post about another family's struggles, pain, personal information, take the time to gain facts about the child, the family and more importantedly, the facts. I am very vocal and have worked tirelessly to raise awareness about BA and certainly would have taken to time to correct you on your uninformed post.
    I would also like to add, I visited the facility, I talked with the children and the staff members. I also have over 40 letters to me from the children in the treatment facility and have relations with 4 children that were close to Taylor, not one of them have a negative word about their experience while in the facility. Taylor's Mom
    Hello Taylor's Mom,

My condolences for what you are going through. I've heard the loss of a child is the hardest thing a person can endure, and it must be difficult to see it discussed by people who don't know the facts of what happened.

There is much speculation about what caused Taylor's death right now. People are concerned about the safety of Diamond Ranch Academy and if their procedures played any role in his death. If you would like to give me more info, I can share it with the community and hopefully stop any misinformation. My email is [email protected].

-Pixie
    Pixie,
    I appreciate the condolences and you are exactly right, the passing of a child is the most difficult event a parent can endure. The pain is felt every day... every time you look around the house or expect him in from school at 3:30...and knowing this is his senior year and I will not see my precious child walk across the stage at graduation as he prepares too enter the next milestone of his life. It isn't difficult to read the writings, it is sickening because you and whomever else is on this endeavor have no idea about the facts of probably any of the innocent children you are writing about.

Do you track the number of teens that die each year while playing sports? Do you track the number of teens whose parents have given up on their child which leads the child to death due to drugs and/or alcohol? Do you track the number of teen suicides? Or, do you track the number of teen overdoses? Just in Tarrant County alone the numbers are disturbing.

I will email but your post proves my point, that you and others don't have your facts straight; Taylor was not at Diamond Ranch and there isn't much speculation about his passing. I have the doctor's report as well as the state's investigation and I am fully aware of the massive BA that ruptured in Taylor's brain; there was no recovery - even if the hospital had been beside the school!

Where is the post that while as parents we were devasted by the sudden loss of Taylor, we had the where-with-all to donate his organs so others could be saved? Or, the effort that has gone into raising awareness about Brain Aneurysm because while a small amount, they do occur in children.

What community? Because what I have read thus far is not impressive because you and others didn't take the time to fully investigate the facts prior to writing; and writing about a child that is not your business. I want his name removed from this posting; show it is unknown if you are set on writing such information but again, you and others do not have the right to communicate anything about my son when you do not have the information correct.

Taylor's Mom
    I agree that the local doctors and hospitals should increase their awareness regarding brain aneurysm. A young man aged 19 died from our town died some years back when he was playing badminton.

His family has told me that he changed his behavior months before it happened. He became more agressive and less tolerant. They were concerned and visited their family doctor. The doctor believed that it was some kind of phase. Then he suddenly dropped to the floor during a match and it was too late to do something for him. It was properly the stress of the match which killed him.

In another case a boy in a group home called "One Way Farm" was pushed. He continued his day but started to complain of head ache hours later. He was given some pills and then they continued their day. Suddenly he dropped death on the floor and now the boy who pushed him is awaiting trial. It is hardly fair.

It is a tricky illness and I can only give your my condolences regarding your son.
    His name has been removed. I don't know who made the assumption that he was at Diamond Ranch Academy. The facility involved in this case is Liahona Academy outside Virgin. It was another boy who died at Diamond and the family ordered a second autopsy so the cause of the tragedy is not determined. We will respect the wishes of the family and remove their sons name entirely from this entry. The url will be fixed by our technical department.

We are sorry if we offended anyone. Our only goal is to bring awareness to the fact that residential treatment in many cases has been proven more deadly that the original problem the residential treatment should address.
    You should be ashamed of yourself! You don't know what you are talking about, on many points!

My son was Taylor's roommate and will clearly remember that fateful night when his aneurysm burst. The distance from a hospital is immaterial. Taylor had immediate attention by a medical professional on staff but it was too late. Through my professional medical training as a Physician Assistant, I am cognizant of the fact that, short of being ON an operating table at the time that it blew, Taylor's aneurysm would have been fatal. How dare you question what happened!

As to your opinion of schools such as Liahona, I am convinced that you have a jaundiced view. My son is a member of a FB page called Liahona Brothers, started by one of the boys who was there when my son was. The boys who have turned their lives around due to their time at Liahona do not look back in a negative manner. They realize that they made choices that had them on collision courses with disaster and that the lessons learned at Liahona made all the difference. Many of the boys have friended staff members from Liahona on their Facebooks. Some boys have gone back to visit after graduation.

On the 2 year anniversary of when my son left home to go to Liahona, he posted on his FB that sometimes going through hard things makes people stronger and wakes them up to a reality check that ultimately improves them. He wouldn't want to go back to Liahona but would actually like working in a school like that to help other young men. My son was on a track that would have resulted in him not graduating high school. He spent his Junior year at Liahona, got caught up on his credits to meet Michigan graduation requirements and did well! He pulled his GPA up, scored 32 on his ACT, successfully completed his senior year at home and is on scholarship now to Utah State University.

I am quite taken aback by the claims and statements in your posting. You do not have all the facts and yet posted in what seemed an authoritative manner. It might be well for you to look up the definition of libel.

Until you have walked in the shoes of a parent who finds themselves up against the wall with a beloved child who has made too many wrong choices, you will never understand the heartache and pain that we have experienced. Sending my son to Liahona was the right choice. Dana's choice to send Taylor was the right choice. Perhaps you should look at his memorial website and read his letters home. Have you done that? Have you read the letter sent the day before his aneurysm blew? Have you read the quote which he chose to share with his peers the very day he died? It is almost prophetic: "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others is immortal and lives on." ~ Robert Pine

So what are you doing for others?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 09:00:41 AM »
    Reviews from Troubledteen.net:

Quote from: "Sam Strobel"
    I am a former student. If you want to mess up your kids life, send him here. All of my co-students will agree. Not a day goes by I don't think of how terrible that place is. Boy's home's are cash cows in Utah. Like Oil in Kuwait. They aren't there to help teen boys, they are there for the 5,500$ a month from each resident in an extremely low budget environment. They prey on parents that are worried about their son and have no where else to turn, like mine and my fellow's. They have a 0% success rate. If you wonder why..any kid in hell will tell you.
    Quote from: "anonymous"
    First of all. This place was pure hell. It didnt not help me whatsoever with anything it made me want to drugs more. Clay(owner) is a money hungry Mormon. He rolls around in his Benz and acts all tough. the only tthing I learned in the 13 months I was there was the Rubik's cube. The other students were the best part. The staff plays favorites and all the kids I met here all relapsed. They brainwash you. The unlawfully make students sit in chairs and watch walls for hours on end. Make us memorize quotes that are easily 2 pages long. In one week while at the same time writing essays for the most bull shit reasons. This place made me worse and my family regrets it. Clay and the entire staff just care about the 60,000 a year. If you care about your children please don't send them here.
    Quote from: "martha"
    Mean people

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
    Pro-program monster mom on Liahona:

Quote from: "Mighty Mom"

...rambling story about how much she had to endure....

Based on the advice of people who told me he needed to be "broken down then built back up" I enrolled him in all-boys Liahona Academy in Virgin, Utah. Plus points: During the 11 months he was there (it's a lockdown facility) we know he was safe and sober. He also did some schoolwork and, because there is no TV, took up reading for pleasure for the first time. The on-site psychiatrist made a nice therapeutic complement to the "law and order/military" approach of the rest of the staff. Also, relative to other programs, the cost is reasonable (around $5K per month -- plus travel expenses when your teen "earns" visits from you, and later, a home visit). Minus points: Emphasis is on a wide range of behavioral issues, not just drug/alcohol abuse. The actual recovery program is minimal. The effects of the program seemed to wear off as soon as my son returned to his "real world" environment.

...rambling story about how much she continued to endure....