Author Topic: "Friends of the Seed"  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
"Friends of the Seed"
« on: December 06, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »
An article says a guy was one of the original "Friends of the Seed" -- What were "Friends of the Seed"?

Also does anyone know in what month and what day in 1970 The Seed opened?  

Do you know how Art Barker got his first few clients?  

It all had to start somewhere?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kathy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
"Friends of the Seed"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 04:21:00 PM »
I don't know and I'm not sure we'll ever see any verifiable documentation. The legend, per Art, was that he somehow begged enough funding to renovate a building. When the construction crew showed up, they were all heroin junkies. So he talked them into sitting in the chairs and becoming the first clients.

Doesn't really wash, does it? But that was the story. I think you might look in the direction of LEAA and the other activities they were funding back around that time. But I seriously suspect the info you're looking for might be classified.

G:   "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
EB:  "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."
-- Somewhere in No Man's Land, BA4

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
"Friends of the Seed"
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 06:18:00 PM »
Kathy, a warning. The more you read about Art and the Seed, the more fascinated you will become. This story is the start of this whole freaken teen help industry in the united states. Ground zero so to speak.

Back to your question. All we have is Art's self serving statements in newspapers,and he was real fond of building legend around his name. Gingers story was def floating around. Another earlier story I have in a paper/interview with him states that he started treating kids on his boat, docked near the playboy club in miami and it grew from there. Art was a part time comic at the playboy club, if you listen to their statments, and a big shot "no limit on the amount of money I made" headliner if you listen to his story. Also, he had bit parts in movies in the late 60s. This coupled with his stints at the playboy club is what I believe got him involved with actors such as Sammie, known to frequent Playboy clubs thruout the US.

The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's no good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.
--Carl Sagan

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
"Friends of the Seed"
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 12:52:00 AM »
OH I'm fascinated all right.  I've got that damn bug again (the research one).  And all the SEED and ART info. I come across is driving me nuts, it's all so half-assed and mish-mashed... So, sorry for all the questions but I'm hoping to pick all the former seedling brains for any new little details I can possibly find.  You and Ginger have been a big help, thanks for your answers and your patience.  Do you know what the "Friends of the Seed" were?  

Thanks, Kathy :???:
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato