Author Topic: Deane Brown - prison activist  (Read 7076 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Prison, American-style
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
Quote from: "Wayne Kernochan"
I find it strange that they can do things to kids that they're prohibited to do to prisoners.
Well, maybe they're technically prohibited from doing it, but they still do it anyway (admittedly with far more oversight). There's always the standard officially sanctioned reason of one's actions being "for the person's own safety or the safety of others."

The truth, however, is found in the details of the particular incident in question. Details which may never make it as far as, let alone into, the Incident Report.

Here are some details from conditions in Maine's Supermax... From that first article above, emphasis added:

For me to verify the prisoners' stories, a source who wished not to be identified — to preserve his relationship with the prison — gave the
Phoenix a videotape of a cell extraction of a young man. He was not one of the men I interviewed. The prison tapes each extraction in order to prove, some people would say ironically, that the prisoner is not mistreated. The videotape I obtained, although dated to 2000, corroborates the stories I heard.[/list][/size]
Here's a link to a page containing excerpts from that videotape; format is Apple's Quicktime:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Boston Phoenix
Prison, American-style

November, 2005

Clip #1
Clip #2
Clip #3

A WARNING TO POTENTIAL VIEWERS

The extremely explicit and graphic scenes on this tape are real. They are not for the faint of heart. They include nudity and violence. Anyone who views them should be prepared to be disturbed and outraged. We have blurred the faces of the inmate and the guards in order to protect their privacy.

The three video clips represent one minute and thirty seconds of a more-than hourlong video that chronicled the 2000 "extraction" of a prisoner from his cell inside Maine's Supermax and his placement in the prison's restraint chair. As Lance Tapley explains in the story (part one, part two), the "prison tapes each extraction in order to prove, some people would say ironically, that the prisoner is not being mistreated."

The full video starts with the guards receiving instructions from a superior on the inmate's situation, his extraction from his cell, and his march toward the hallway outside the restraint room, where he is forced to the ground and sprayed in the face with what looks like pepper spray. The prisoner's clothes are then cut off until he is nude. He is picked up off the floor and thrown into a chair, where a guard again sprays him repeatedly while three other guards strap him in. The bulk of the video shows the naked prisoner in the chair, trying to get free, and yelling to the guards: "I am sitting in piss." Through the reflection of the window-enclosed room, guards can be seen periodically looking in on the suspect.

It is important to bear in mind that the actions captured in these clips are not outlawed. They are sanctioned by the state, and the guards are shown are working within a well-established legal framework. By showing these tapes we aim to bring to public attention to the internal workings of Maine Supermax and similar correctional facilities across the nation.

Copyright © 2005 Phoenix Media/Communications Group
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Deane Brown - prison activist
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:57:34 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:57:10 PM by Anonymous »

Offline liarsexposed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »
As much as I liked Dean Browne...
He got what he deserved later in life. I dont feel as though anyone should be abused,and the life he now has is fairly horrific.
But if you knew Deano.. You can see why,and how he has put himself in this situation.
You cannot expect to get a PASS,if you rob someone with a gun. Especially if you do this repeatedly.
Dean was perhaps a lifeline,in a place where smiling/laughing was dangerous. I remember the staff (cant remember who) couldnt punish us kids for laughing at him, (after a while) as he was genuinely funny. I remember trying to sit at his table alot because I could get away with enjoying a meal.. sorta
Unfortunately,Deano is gonna die in that prison

Offline penny

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 06:52:54 PM »
Deane Brown for some reason so many people had a problem with him. He was in the ring repeatedly, spanked with ping pong paddles by many people in lines willingly lining up to get their turns with him.I imagine much more happened to him at our "safe haven" than I ever saw. I believe whole heartedly  that Elan is responsible for much of his behavior later in life. I loved Deane Brown. He made my life bearable at an absolutely horrific terror show we all called "home."  Memories go back to his dead baby jokes and "you think your hot shit but actually you're just cold piss in a dixie cup." I to this day love that saying and is just so true. His silly three stoogers routines, he made my life bearable and I do love him for that. You all need to stop being so finger pointing and angry. He was a very good person, he just ended up going through hell. So many people from Elan would rather see a hanging than support someone and be there for them. You know why this is wrong? Elan taught you this. Elan taught us all to be suspicious, full of hate, angry, and get excited about someone who was going to be beaten next. Be angry with me if you so desire- but seriously Deane Brown was innocent back in Elan and Thanks Deane over and over again for making my life bearable. :rasta: