Author Topic: Green Chimneys, Maltreatment Center  (Read 18573 times)

Offline MedicalWhistleblower

• View Profile
Re: Green Chimneys, Maltreatment Center
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »
Question:  When were those who said they were abused at Green Chimneys really there?  What year?    The program expanded to take more and more difficult kids and persons with severe mental issues -  coming right out of the psychiatric ward of the mental hospital with court ordered medications.  In the early years they did not take that kind of child and were not doing psychiatric cases of that severity.  Originally the children were sent by their parents or by the local social service agency - but after 1989  there were court ordered placements - children who had been removed from their parents and who were wards of the court.  So when were these survivors there???  After 1989 or before?  In 1989 was when Green Chimney's started talking psychiatric cases straight from the psychiatric hospitals into the residential treatment center.   Prior to that they did not take cases with that severity of illness.  There was a clear change in the kind of program offered at that time.

A little history:

Green Chimneys was founded in 1947 by the Ross Family, who purchased a 75-acre farm from the widow of NY State Senator Ward Tolbert of Pelham Manor, NY. The farm, in the Town of Patterson, Putnam County, NY, was to house a private school where children could interact with farm animals.  The Green Chimneys Farm for Little Folk opened in 1948 with eleven students whose parents paid for them to be boarded at the school. From the start, the plan was to provide an environment where children and animals could live together in a farm setting. Dr. Ross, his son, Samuel ("Rollo"), and Adele MacDonald, a nurse working for Dr. Ross, established the School as a boarding school for pre-school aged children. By 1952 the mission of the school had been expanded to include children aged 2-9. The School's continued success led to a further expansion of its mission, and children aged 2-12 were admitted in 1957, with Green Chimneys providing pre-school through 6th grade classes.

By the mid-1950s the School  focus was changing as it was gaining a reputation for helping children with special needs.

In the 1960s, the Green Chimneys programs expanded, and the School taught children from pre-school to grade 8. The School was now attracting children from around the United States, and also from Canada, Central America, South America, and other countries. The programs were gradually changing to accommodate children with special needs. Green Chimneys became a social services agency in 1974, allowing it to receive some government funding. The School began to provide more services for children considered "at risk". Traditional school programs were replaced by programs for children with special needs, but these new programs continued to use animals as part of the programs. The School provided 24-hour programs with special education and mental health services, limited to children from New York State. A Residential Treatment Center (RTC) was created to care for emotionally disturbed and learning disabled children referred to Green Chimneys from social services departments and public schools around the State.

Also in the 1970s, Green Chimneys added 50 nearby acres to its complex, and created the Hillside Outdoor Education Center. The Center offered programs to the general public on topics including farming and the environment. The Center now also provides day camps for developmentally and physically challenged youth, a pre-school program for children in the community, and other programs that attract area school children to Hillside's farm and education center.

In the 1980’s Green Chimneys assumed responsibility for three group homes in Westchester County, which were operated by another agency.  This began the operation of the 25 bed residence in Manhattan.  That residence specialized in LGBT adolescents.  Then there were the Supervised Independent Living Program apartments in New York City.  

In 1989 The New York State Officials under the New York State Office of Mental Health developed a 14 bed adolescent Residential treatment facility which was accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations or JCAHO. This was the highest level of care offered other than inpatient psychiatric treatment for children in all of New York.  So referrals came to it from all over the state of New York.  These were the most serious mental health cases of children handled anywhere other than in a lock down psychiatric ward in the entire state of New York.

In the nineties the program expanded to include supervised living for developmentally challenged adults in a program under the Connecticut Department of Mental Retardation in Danbury CT area.

Dr. S. Bernard Ross was born in New York City on March 30, 1891.  Dr. Ross retired to Marco Island, Florida in 1977, where he died on July 13, 1979 at the age of 88.

Samuel “Rollo” Ross is Dr. Ross’ son.

For additional history of the facility: http://http://www.greenchimneys.org/index.php?option=com_flippingbook&book_id=2&Itemid=147
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:05 AM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:40:57 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:25 AM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:57:30 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 03:21:24 AM »
He's trying to find out when it became a shithole.  Trying to figure out what the impetus was that let loose the owners of the place.  Was it always abusive?  If it was abusive prior to 1989, where are the survivors?  Where are their accounts?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 08:06:28 AM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:37:41 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »
Thank you.  :)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:36:31 PM by Anonymous »

Offline GoodSpoonful

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 12:35:45 AM »
I was there in the 70s after Philip Zagarella and I read about him on the net.  I only recently learned about Eric Lau and that book about Eric Napoletano.  Is there a book about Philip Zagarella as well?  They were all three mentally ill and they were all dangerous too.

I only just learned about the Green Chimneys Survivors.  I don't do lots of social networks on the net.  

There were mentally ill kids there like the ones who talked to themselves; screamed for no apparent reason and resorted to gibberish.  Some did bizarre things sexually.  Rapes happen there as well.  Sometimes it was staff molesting you and feeling you up; other times it was stronger, bigger kids forcing sex onto you.  

Theres' a link about an article where a litle boy was raped by three older boys at Green Chimneys.  It's in the Putnam County paper and the date is May 30, 2001.  That's not the first time this happened at Green Chimneys and it most likely is not the last either.  

Green Chimneys IS a secret society.  It's off the beaten track and Medical Whistle Blower appears to have his/her head in the sand and/or is being paid handsomely by the Rosses.  I read on the net that the local hospitals and the fire department have been there for injured kids with staff caused injuries.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:48:01 AM by GoodSpoonful »

Offline GoodSpoonful

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »
Mr or Ms Whistle,  animals don't assist everybody.  Dr. Ross found a way to get rich at everybody's expense and that's with animals. He is good at snow jobbing the public.  Think.  If animals cured everything and everybody, then there'd be no need for a residential treatment center.  Green Chimneys, Abuse Maltreatment Center is a more fitting name.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:35:48 PM by Anonymous »

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »
I have a former colleague who was a student at Green Chimneys until about 2006.  He has basically said what I think is fairly consistent with what other people have said here, is that there were staff who would instigate aggression on the part of the youth, and were quick to intervene aggressively.  When he was there Dr. Ross was already in his 70's/80's, and from what his experience was, had calmed down quite a bit.  As he never had any negative experiences with Dr. Ross.

Wayne, for what it's worth Green Chimneys has programs in New York City, primarily their LGBTQ residence, which I have by in large have not heard bad things about, and their Brewster campus which I have.

Green Chimneys is a big agency.  Entire programs and cottages could be "abuse-free".  Furthermore, how one defines abuse - for instance if a youth is getting verbally aggressive and is threatening to throw an object at a staff, and the staff intervenes by forcefully restraining a youth so hard that they break an arm - most staff would not consider that abuse, even the licensing agencies after they investigate would not consider that an incident of abuse.  Bad practice and something to be avoided, yes.

it's not that I don't trust the survivors stories, I just don't know what their goal is other than to complain.

I have repeatedly offered contacts with the State licensing agencies that could investigate complaints (if anyone here is still interested please pm me).  I have shown my colleagues who can investigate complaints in at least one of the cottages the Facebook page, but without alumni coming forward and actually talking, there's little they can do.

Instead, it's let's put up a petition on Facebook!  Petition for what?  So much energy spent on activities that don't produce anything.  It's like this group doesn't want their issue to be resolved.

What is the goal?  If the goal is to close Green Chimneys, even if everything that has been mentioned on the interwebs is accurate and can be confirmed, that still wouldn't be enough.  The most I think you can hope for is for Green Chimneys to fire and keep fired the actual abusive staff.  And for their to be increased oversight and scrutiny so that youth who are at Green Chimneys can make timely complaints.  

But, I ask you what is the goal?  And if you can figure out what that goal is, I can try to help.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
Quote from: "blombrowski"
I have a former colleague who was a student at Green Chimneys until about 2006.  He has basically said what I think is fairly consistent with what other people have said here, is that there were staff who would instigate aggression on the part of the youth, and were quick to intervene aggressively.  When he was there Dr. Ross was already in his 70's/80's, and from what his experience was, had calmed down quite a bit.  As he never had any negative experiences with Dr. Ross.

Wayne, for what it's worth Green Chimneys has programs in New York City, primarily their LGBTQ residence, which I have by in large have not heard bad things about, and their Brewster campus which I have.

Green Chimneys is a big agency.  Entire programs and cottages could be "abuse-free".  Furthermore, how one defines abuse - for instance if a youth is getting verbally aggressive and is threatening to throw an object at a staff, and the staff intervenes by forcefully restraining a youth so hard that they break an arm - most staff would not consider that abuse, even the licensing agencies after they investigate would not consider that an incident of abuse.  Bad practice and something to be avoided, yes.

it's not that I don't trust the survivors stories, I just don't know what their goal is other than to complain.

I have repeatedly offered contacts with the State licensing agencies that could investigate complaints (if anyone here is still interested please pm me).  I have shown my colleagues who can investigate complaints in at least one of the cottages the Facebook page, but without alumni coming forward and actually talking, there's little they can do.

Instead, it's let's put up a petition on Facebook!  Petition for what?  So much energy spent on activities that don't produce anything.  It's like this group doesn't want their issue to be resolved.

What is the goal?  If the goal is to close Green Chimneys, even if everything that has been mentioned on the interwebs is accurate and can be confirmed, that still wouldn't be enough.  The most I think you can hope for is for Green Chimneys to fire and keep fired the actual abusive staff.  And for their to be increased oversight and scrutiny so that youth who are at Green Chimneys can make timely complaints.  

But, I ask you what is the goal?  And if you can figure out what that goal is, I can try to help.

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit mofo.. You got balls on you fo' sho.

But seriously, I'm curious to hear the answers to these questions as well...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:34:44 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »
Quote from: "Wayne Kernochan"
I've seen these incidents. Staff, on many occasions, cause the problem, and push kids to go off, and create situations that call for restraints. I can't fully explain it, but I know what I saw, and that's what I saw. I call that abuse

But have you seen them at Green Chimneys? Further, have you seen these incidents recently? Further, are said incidents indicative of a system wide malaise of such an extent that it calls for the systematic dismantling of the entire organizations?

Don't get me wrong... I've seen such staff incidents with provoking restraints myself.. fuck.. I've participated in them (not proud of that either). It's hard not to get involved in these sorts of shens when you work in a program. All in the name of making sure a kid isn't faking and all that shit.

I see where Blommer is going with it though. Just what do the victims want?

and that calling your sister's house.. damn son... creepy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:21 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:15:21 PM by Anonymous »