Author Topic: NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase  (Read 21305 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Officer who shot student had history of..."
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 04:55:09 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 1-20:

Name withheld · 9:54 AM on May 20, 2011
    This comment was left by a user who has been blocked by our staff.[/list]
    uh-huh · 10:51 AM on May 20, 2011
      What the hell does that tell you about those who run the police department?
      2008 · 12:31 AM on May 23, 2011
        School district police departments are usually run by tyrants who are concerned about their big pay checks and seeing how many officer's careers they can ruin. There is no civil service and lynching parties are conducted quite frequently by these little dictators when someone has the audacity to challenge or stand up to something that is wrong. Officers are written up so they can be fired 'at will' the next time they make someone in the food chain mad. It's really a joke the way school districts are run. Rules are enforced on some and ignored on others. You'd have to be there to believe it. Therefore much of what is written about this officer's behavior may be nothing but gossip that was documented rightly or wrongly.
      [/list]
      erflowers-24327929 · 12:04 PM on May 20, 2011
        But qualified, eager, police candidates who have integrity and loyalty, are not even considered unless they can pass a timed spelling test! Go figure...
        TC-22614707 · 1:34 PM on May 20, 2011
          Yes and I guess those "qualified, eager, police candidates who have integrity and loyalty" can't pass that timed spelling test....
        Splash · 6:34 PM on May 22, 2011
          Didn't they all supposedly have integrity when they joined??
        Name withheld · 3:50 PM on May 23, 2011
          Liza_Null · 9:27 AM on May 25, 2011
            Why would they be "qualified" if they can't spell? Good Lord.
          [/list]
          lawman-24254057 · 3:17 PM on May 20, 2011
            its appears that police officers now days dont have the common sense to take time to talk to people.They just show up and arrest everyone and write a poor report. And innocent people end in jail and later end-up getting the case dismiss after spending their hard earned money for atty. fees. That s why some cops get injury ,because the lack of common sense to perform police duties. They don't issued common sense out of the academy. A lot of cops are scare of the public and because of that have a quick trigger finger. Specifically some of SAPD .
            2008 · 12:35 AM on May 23, 2011
              The intelligence level of many of today's so called police officers leaves a lot to be desired. And unfortunately many departments are selecting the inferior officer because they believe the candidate will be grateful enough for the job to not be a management problem. They won't hire someone that can think and reason right from wrong. Someone like that might ask questions and interrupt the "DO WHAT I SAY" nonsense. School districts are bad about telling their officers what to enforce and what to handle administratively. The law is not applied evenly and upper level school district administrators are usually the ones calling the shots for the field officers. Zero experience, zero qualifications but they are the ones telling the chief how things will be done when it comes to law enforcment.
            Liza_Null · 11:23 AM on May 23, 2011
              The vast MAJORITY of police officers that I have encountered have been exceedingly polite, helpful, and a source of reassurance for me. I truly felt protected, listened-to, and respected. That being said, when I read about instances like this, I'm aware that there's always two sides to every story. If a cop goes into that job believing that the majority of the people he encounters are "out to get him", then of course every single person he encounters is going to be a threat of some kind. If you look for trouble, trouble will surely find you.

It's kind of like the field of medicine - you can't POSSIBLY be effective, if you don't really like people.......
            randerson307 · 7:21 PM on May 25, 2011
              2008 they are selecting the canidates because there is not a lot to choose from anymore. Not a lot of people with an education and a spotless background want to be a police officer. A lot of sites have been lowered along with the pay. Even DPS is hiring former lawmen with so many years experence. Homer Garrison has to be spinning in his grave about now.
            [/list]
            lawman-24254057 · 3:22 PM on May 20, 2011
              use your common sense all of the time and good discretion.That way u will be able to serve and protect and have most of the citizens behind you and you can look forward honorable retiring.Be safe and careful .(ten-four)
            Sir_Bikesalot · 4:05 PM on May 20, 2011
              Why is he still emplyed you ax? Unions. Now do you see how they have overstepped their bounds and have become the abusers?
              navblue · 7:45 AM on May 21, 2011
                You might want to read the story before you say that.

Nowadays you have arbitration where a civilian usually makes the final decision on a cop's career.

Even if the brass and sometimes the union want him or her gone.
              2008 · 12:36 AM on May 23, 2011
                School district officers do not have union protection. They do not have civil service. He remained employed because they weren't ready to really fire him yet...
              randerson307 · 7:24 PM on May 25, 2011
                Alfred E Newman is a good choice Sir Bikesalot.
              [/list]
              bobby-16365449 · 5:37 PM on May 20, 2011
                Why are criminals in our schools? Why aren't they expelled? Could it be the more students the more federal dollars?
                athleticfan · 10:45 PM on May 20, 2011
                  Students or not they are going ti be using federal dollars bc if u kick them out then you are gonna be paying for their welfare. Think!
                Ref_Who_ · 11:31 PM on May 20, 2011
                  athleticfan....And if we keep them in school, they are going to LEARN something? I think not. They'll be on federal dollars anyway. They don't care. They need to be expelled and gotten out of the schools.
                [/list]

© 2011 Hearst Communications Inc.
                « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
                -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                « Reply #46 on: September 08, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
                Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 21-40:

Camino · 9:20 PM on May 20, 2011
                  The NISD police department is a joke. I love the way they drive around and scan the schools during off hours. They rarely get out of their vehicles and walk the school grounds but just drive by and take a quick look wasting expensive fuel. Have also seen them several times stopping at BOA and doing personal banking during work hours. Eliminate the department!
                  athleticfan · 10:43 PM on May 20, 2011
                    Ya go ahead and eliminate it. Lol and we think the drugs and fights are a problem now? Ha! That was an idiotic statement, no matter what field of work youre in the are gonna be some bad apples, so I guess we just "eliminate it" huh?
                  Name withheld · 8:02 AM on May 21, 2011
                    n3vino · 8:39 AM on May 22, 2011
                      Actually, some police are assigned to schools. One at each middle school. Not sure how many at high schools. Lot's of bullies and undisiplined kids at some of these schools. I've seen police on bikes at high schools patroling the area making sure some delinquent is not beating up on some kid walking home.
                    randerson307 · 7:26 PM on May 25, 2011
                      Yeah, but I'm sure Camino never did anything like that when he was working.
                    [/list]
                    Ref_Who_ · 11:36 PM on May 20, 2011
                      Hopefully, he'll get FIRED now. Then tried for murder. If his name wasn't Alvarado, he'd been fired by now.
                      Trevi_o84 · 10:23 AM on May 21, 2011
                        wont happen it was a good shooting. Saved us tax payer money in the long end
                      KDC · 8:20 PM on May 21, 2011
                        Just gotta slip that racism in there....
                      Ref_Who_ · 10:39 AM on May 23, 2011
                        IF the cop had not been a minority, NOBODY would have defended him. When society deals with "minorities" all kinds of organizations come out of the woodwork to defend him/her. Non-minority defendents are usually immediately fired, because no organization will come forward with $$$$$ to defend them. Fact or fiction????
                      javithekid · 11:03 AM on May 23, 2011
                        If minorities are defended (mostly constitutional cases) by organizations it is because the majority of minorities do not have the funds for proper legal counsel.For instance when do you ever see wealthy non hispanic or non black Americans on death row?? And how many minorities have been taken off death row for crimes they did not commit do to improper counsel and unfair prosecutors and bad police work??
                      [/list]
                      javithekid · 7:13 AM on May 21, 2011
                        Saying that just because his last name is Alvarado is the reason he has not been fired.Is an unfair innuendo. It doesnt matter if his last name was Wong or Smith. Stick to the issues.
                        Ref_Who_ · 11:28 AM on May 21, 2011
                          The reason I said this is because chances are real good that the ACLU or some other bogus organization would step in and defend him; thereby costing more $$$$ to the school district.
                        renesalgado · 1:35 PM on May 21, 2011
                          Ref,I agree with Javithekid and Xavier. If the ACLU steps in so what?? Your saying the chances are real good that the ACLU or another bogus organization will step in and defend him?? What other bogus organization do you seem to be afraid of?? I would not fear any bogus organization. I may not agree with some of the cases fought and won by the ACLU.But the courts have often ruled in their favor. ACLU bogus? Why, do you think the officer was treated unfairly? Because all your basing your theory on is the officers last name. Which is Hispanic. Right? Relax your concern or fear is not worth being concerned about.
                        Don-21761464 · 9:22 AM on May 25, 2011
                          Sadly, in school politic's that can be part of it.
                        [/list]
                        AG-21957984 · 7:33 AM on May 21, 2011
                          What school is this murderer at? I need to make sure my kids aren't there!
                        navblue · 7:47 AM on May 21, 2011
                          javithekiid- that is impossible in a place like this. You have too many who judge BY A NAME around here.
                          javithekid · 9:53 AM on May 21, 2011
                            I can see that already.
                          [/list]
                          Xavier-22414844 · 7:52 AM on May 21, 2011
                            I know officer Alvarado. He is good individual. You guys are way off base here.
                            javithekid · 9:56 AM on May 21, 2011
                              I hope that does not include me? I try not to judge with my eyes closed.
                            ylopez5 · 1:05 PM on May 21, 2011
                              A good man, would you think that if he killed your son or brother or nephew!!! Derek Lopez was my nephew and he killed him after he was told not to pursue him!!! Because of him our family my sister's son had been taken from her, cause he was on some power trip!!
                            [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            « Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 10:29:07 PM »
                            Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 41-60:

Name withheld · 7:09 AM on May 22, 2011
                                Xavier-22414844 · 7:56 AM on May 22, 2011
                                  This boy was expelled right? What was he doing at the school then? Where were his parents and family members? Why were they not preventing him from making bad decisions?
                                n3vino · 8:34 AM on May 22, 2011
                                  I don't think the boy was at any school. If I am not wrong, he was at a bus stop waiting to kick sombody's butt.
                                OMAR · 4:40 PM on May 22, 2011
                                  Is it possible be to be a good guy and incompetent?
                                ylopez5 · 6:35 PM on May 22, 2011
                                  I honestly dont care what any of you people say!!! There just words of ignorance!!!! We won't be able to bring him back, but we will have justice!!!!
                                Splash · 6:42 PM on May 22, 2011
                                  Good individual or not, he made a stupid decision. Look at his record. He has "NO" business being a law enforcement officer.
                                  I didn't know thw young man that was killed, but good or bad we will never know what he was doing, so maybe all of you so quick to condem remember those words when it is one of your family members.
                                Name withheld · 6:58 PM on May 22, 2011
                                  gr8tgirl2 · 5:06 PM on May 23, 2011
                                    Both the child and the officer were wrong and it ended tragically. We do not know how this kid was raised other than the fact that he had a record and was expelled from school. We know from the officer's record that he was not a responsible one. Money will not bring this child back, though.
                                  QueImporta · 12:57 PM on May 25, 2011
                                    ylopez: Sorry for you loss....

I don't think justice=$
                                    You're family will have to acknowledge that Derek didn't help his situation by not being in school, was beating up another child, running from a cop, etc. His death was untimely. Be realistic about what you claim is justice.
                                  [/list]
                                  Name withheld · 9:53 AM on May 21, 2011
                                    John-21941554 · 10:06 AM on May 21, 2011
                                      Why do school districts feel the need for a police department? Seems to me that they can rely on the local PD or sheriff's department just like the rest of us. This is a HUGE waste of taxpayer money. If school districts want to weather the budget storm, can the cops and keep teachers. After all, EDUCATION is your mission, right? RIGHT?
                                      Trevi_o84 · 10:21 AM on May 21, 2011
                                        Because local Pd's and Sheriff's offices are responding to the issues the parents of these wonderful young law abiding kids were raised by. Maybe you heard of this place in Colordo called Columbine? School police were the first on scene!
                                      fidel.rodriguez · 11:54 AM on May 21, 2011
                                        Trevi...I would NOT use Columbine as an example of good police work.
                                      renesalgado · 1:36 PM on May 21, 2011
                                        Fidel, Why not??
                                      Splash · 6:44 PM on May 22, 2011
                                        They are a huge waste of taxpayer dollars. All of the school departments can be consolidated under the SAPD or Sherriffs dept. I'm tired of seeing officers set in their car doing nothing while another directs traffic. Get out and help or go home.
                                      [/list]
                                      Name withheld · 10:10 AM on May 21, 2011
                                        Banned18Times · 10:55 AM on May 21, 2011
                                          How low has our society sunk, that we need 'school police'?????

Must be some charming little kids were producing...
                                          Liza_Null · 12:11 PM on May 23, 2011
                                            And clearly Officer Alvarado is one of them.......
                                          Name withheld · 4:05 PM on May 23, 2011
                                            Name withheld · 7:48 AM on May 25, 2011
                                              This comment was left by a user who has been blocked by our staff.[/list][/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                              « Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »
                                              Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 61-80:

Don-21761464 · 9:03 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                  Poor parenting is producing a sea of troubled kids. Drop outs, gang members, and drug users. Drop out rates among our hispanic students hovers around 50 percent, teen pregnancies near national highs, then everything that goes with it,
                                                Mac-18122429 · 7:33 PM on May 27, 2011
                                                  Actually, its a law to have them. Yes, they are worthless and yes, they are a total waste of money...but Austin decided that someone needed a kickback and passed a law saying we must have them.
                                                [/list]
                                                WASP · 1:37 PM on May 21, 2011
                                                  Heard the DA is gonna plan to prosecute the officer by sending it to the garnd jury for indictmet & the family of the deceased kid is consulting with an attorney,and planning to file a wrongful death suit aginst the officer,his supervisor,the police chief,and the superintendent of the NISD for several millions.

Chances are the officer will get indicted,and convicted since the kid was unarmed,and the school district will be begging to settle out of court.

Here's some news links to officers losing their careers for being "gung-ho"

http://www.hinterlandgazette.com/2010/1 ... isman.html

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/generic/new ... e-chrisman

This what happens when an officer is "gun-ho",armed vs unarmed is gonna be defeat for the NISD in a civil lawsuit.[/list]
                                                  CountryPlace · 7:02 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                    Thumbs down for outrageously bad spelling.
                                                  2008 · 12:19 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                    Of course being a gang member, doing drugs, getting in fights, etc., made this kid a poster body for what parents want to see in their child. I mean he could have grown up to be president. Been done before so why not this kid?
                                                  Name withheld · 3:00 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                    This comment was left by a user who has been blocked by our staff.[/list][/list]
                                                    OMAR · 4:02 PM on May 21, 2011
                                                      I knew we had not heard the last about that guy... I'm glad somebody took the time to investigate...
                                                    Name withheld · 6:14 PM on May 21, 2011
                                                        Name withheld · 7:01 AM on May 22, 2011
                                                          Liza_Null · 9:24 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                            You know him? Then feel free to call the DA's office and TELL THE DA what you know about this fool. Your information is needed to paint the picture of REALITY for the jury.
                                                          [/list]
                                                          Mongo · 10:53 PM on May 21, 2011
                                                            Wow, 20 comments and the story hasn't even been posted yet.

Since this is a "coming Sunday" story, I'll either have to read it in print or wait until Mon/Tues before it shows here.

I used to have a Weekend EN subscription, but then it morphed into a Fri/Sat/Sun version... then into Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun and I finally had to switch to Sunday delivery only. I think I now pay a premium to avoid getting 3 extra papers a week - odd way to run a business!
                                                          Mongo · 10:56 PM on May 21, 2011
                                                            Remembering one of my favority Dan Cook columns...

He's explaining to his wife about the terms of his latest (and final) contract with the Express-News. He says they're gonna pay him a lot more but he's going to write fewer columns. She asks him "Did you ask them how much more they'd pay you to not write any columns at all?"
                                                          Ombudsman · 7:00 AM on May 22, 2011
                                                            Wonder if a suit can be filed for wrongful parenting? How convenient for this family to wash their hands of their personal responsibility for this tragic outcome by extorting money from a educational system that has been forced to field a police force to protect the good students from punks like their son. The substance of this officer's disciplinary record is administrative iin nature, and totally disconnected from his making a snap judgement against an aggresive suspect. This action, as all such police actions that cause the death of an individual, will be properly reviewed by a Grand Jury, who will use factual evidence and information to make their decision...unlike EN, which will undoubtedly connect the wrong dots to play upon the hype and sentiments surrounding this situation in order to sell more papers.
                                                            OMAR · 4:35 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                              Snap judgemnt? supervisor "dont pursue." officer: pursues. Outcome...murder..
                                                            Splash · 6:47 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                              The disciplinary record is administrative in nature. 12 warnings and 4 suspensions? Hmmm
                                                            upthere · 7:26 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                              I disagree, had he followed his supervisors orders then it probably would have a different ending. A different, probably more disciplined officer would have been the one in the backyard. Not someone pissed off because he didn't stop for him.
                                                            Liza_Null · 11:18 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                              You're as big an IDIOT as Alvarado. In fact, you sound like you're a relative of Alvarado. A close relative, at that. "Administrative" in nature? This cowboy COULD NOT FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. An "aggressive" suspect? Really? An UNARMED child? If that's what Alvarado considers to be a threat, then Alvarado is the wrong person for the job. And yes, a Grand Jury WILL decide, and when the facts are in, Alvarado is GOING DOWN. As well he should.
                                                            Liza_Null · 12:23 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                              Disobeying a DIRECT ORDER is not "administrative" in nature. His "snap judgements" is what got him all those write-ups and suspensions to begin with.
                                                            Name withheld · 2:54 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                              satexan · 9:12 AM on May 22, 2011
                                                                A Troubled School District Officer and a Troubled Youth collide. Each side had a history of not following orders. Comments from each side are claiming each individual were really good people. Records show otherwise as in most cases. If the Officer was fired this would not have happened. If the teen was better disciplined by parents this would not have happened. We could go on and on. Now each side blames the other for it's own problems. That's right their own problems that escalated throughout the years. It is an unfortunate incident. Learn from this ! Fix it.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                                              « Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 11:02:58 PM »
                                                              Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 81-100:

mgsatx-18308424 · 1:01 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                  Even if the kid wasn't perfect, this cop had no right to unilaterally impose the death penalty for a minor assault.
                                                                Splash · 6:48 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                  Excellent statement!!
                                                                dr_gonzo · 9:38 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                  Word!
                                                                feduptoo · 11:27 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                  I agree with satexan 101%. Both of these individuals were at the wrong place at the wrong time.
                                                                Liza_Null · 12:11 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                  You sound as if the situation were entirely equal in nature. A 27-year-old man with ten years' law enforcement experience, vs. a 14-year-old CHILD?!?

If our expectations of the officer equal our expectations of a 14-year-old child, then our problems are far more SERIOUS than we thought........
                                                                kismet · 1:07 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                  Liza- you are right. The sides are not equal. The parents should bear the brunt of the blame.
                                                                45969 · 2:39 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                  liza keeps calling him a child, as if he were a good little boy playing in the front yard with his toy truck, no he was a little bad kid who had no respect, im not saying the cop was right because he was deffinatly wrong in shooting, and im not saying the boy got what he deserved, but when you try and act like a big boy, you get big boy actions taken toward you.
                                                                Name withheld · 2:51 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                  Vor · 9:53 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                    They won't.
                                                                  Mac-18122429 · 7:30 PM on May 27, 2011
                                                                    well then we should kill the officer and that way both are gone and society wont have to worry about either anymore....Deal?
                                                                  [/list]
                                                                  lala-24328461 · 12:18 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                    Is Alvarado the cop who beat up my nephew several times and tracked him down just to get his jollies? Wonder?
                                                                    Name withheld · 4:02 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                      Charley-23909102 · 12:30 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                        I'm glad I don't pay taxes to the NISD, because they are going to lose, even if the family is also partially at fault for the kid's actions. As for the officer, saying he was "within inches and I was in fear of my life" doesn't jibe with the alleged lack of gunshot residue, nor witness accounts stating he had no marks or scratches on his face, when he alledges he was hit in the face by the shed door. He's going to be indicted, and is likely looking at conviction as well.
                                                                        Liza_Null · 12:21 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                          Even if he was hit in the face by the shed door, he STILL knew it was very, very likely this kid was unarmed, as are the majority of kids his age. He disobeyed a DIRECT ORDER and took matters into his own hands. Now his life is ruined, and one life has ended forever.
                                                                        Texian · 4:37 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                          Seems like the kid also disobeyed a DIRECT ORDER when he was told to HALT and took matters into his own hands too. He put his fate in his own hands when he hit the officer with the shed door, and the outcome was tragic. Was a bad decision on his part, he coulda just come out with his hands up. Just saying.
                                                                        russell-23220136 · 5:09 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                          Texian, the officer had no apparent injuries after the incident. The autopsy shows that the kid was not near the officer when shot because there was no gun residue. Therefore, the officer lied, so how can you assume that the officer was hit by the shed door as the officer claims?
                                                                        Texian · 6:21 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                          russell - Where did you read that the kid was shot at point blank where he would have gunpowder residue. I musta missed that.
                                                                        russell-23220136 · 9:38 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                          Page 3--"In a report, Alvarado wrote that he was approaching the shed with his gun drawn when the door flew open, hitting him in the face. No witness recalled seeing any injuries to the officer's face after the shooting.

'The suspect bull rushed his way out of the shed and lunged right at me,' Alvarado wrote. 'The suspect was literally inches away from me, and I feared for my safety.'
                                                                          Tracing the bullet's path into the boy's chest as it ricocheted off the pancreas, colon, right liver and left kidney and exited the stomach, an autopsy report notes a lack of gunpowder on Lopez's bloodstained T-shirt.

'There is no evidence of close range firing of the wound,' the report concludes."
                                                                        [/list]
                                                                        Banned18Times · 12:31 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                          Lemme guess--

UNION MEMBER??????
                                                                          Xavier-22414844 · 5:08 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                            Please, this is Texas were talking about. Unions have no power.
                                                                          [/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                          • Posts: 8989
                                                                          • Karma: +3/-0
                                                                            • View Profile
                                                                          « Reply #50 on: September 08, 2011, 11:36:33 PM »
                                                                          Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 101-120:

mimisdogs · 7:58 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                            When my children were attending Jordan MS long time ago, he was assigned there. He always had a big attitude like he was God gift to humankind. I cannot understand why after 12 warnings and four suspensions he was still working for the district and allowed to carry a gun.
                                                                          feduptoo · 11:36 PM on May 22, 2011
                                                                            The one thing I really found interesting was that the kid that was being beat down by Derek Lopez has tried to play the whole thing down. The kid makes it sound like it wasn't a big deal that Derek was beating him up when the NISD officer drove up. I bet this kid was very happy that the officer was there to stop Derek from doing worse than slapping him upside his head. I bet my last 50 cents the busstop kid was pressured to change his story...
                                                                            Liza_Null · 12:19 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                              Then again, maybe the busstop kid realizes that whatever it was, it wasn't worth a kid getting killed over it. And no one would've been killed, if the right thing had been done and Alvarado FIRED for incompetence.
                                                                            kismet · 1:08 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                              And no one would have been killed if the right thing had been done when it came to parenting and disciplining this young man.
                                                                            Insured_at_a_cost · 2:59 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                              the kid seemed like "trouble"
                                                                            Wiggin · 1:15 AM on May 27, 2011
                                                                              Yes, that doesn't jibe with being hit by an older kid to me.
                                                                            [/list]
                                                                            2008 · 1:04 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                                              The question is asked many times why the need for school district police officers and why these duties aren't handled by the local sheriff or police department. The simple answer is they refuse to take care of the school districts without being paid to do so. Several school districts have asked for estimates for police services and each time they came back so high that it was cheaper to have their own.

Plus the school districts reap a benefit from their insurance providers if they have their own agencies. I've heard that in one case the savings was enough to fund the police department. Thus they had their police department for essentially nothing. Never got that confirmed but it was from a solid source.
                                                                              2008 · 1:06 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                In addition the amount of crime on a middle school or high school campus today in San Antonio is staggering. Between drug offenses, various thefts, burglaries, assaults, trespassing by expelled students and other neighborhood criminals, the schools have no choice but to provide police officers to protect the students that are there trying to get an education.

Furthermore, most school police officers receive more training than your civilian departments because of the increased liability of working on a campus with thousands of students under foot. The bigger school districts have instructors come in and teach these classes during the summer break, spring break and other non school days during the year. They are not inferior officers like some here obviously believe they are.
                                                                              Mongo · 3:28 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                Excellent post - thanks for the info.
                                                                              45969 · 2:45 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                have you ever called the cops? how long does it take for them to get there? there are cops at the schools because this is america and especially in san antonio, most kids are the result of teenage pregnancy with either a single mom trying to work and support her family and doesnt have time to attend to her child or parents who are just too chetto to care. we need cops on campus so that when stuff like school shootings happen, we wont have to wait for someone to show up to protect our kids.
                                                                              [/list]
                                                                              Name withheld · 7:40 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                  Liza_Null · 12:17 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                    That's because we all had dad's that were far more frightening than any out-of-control police officer with a gun....... PLUS, I don't recall one - NOT ONE - fight among the boys that involved a gun. We didn't even KNOW people who carried guns, and the only guns in our homes were hunting rifles, maybe the occasional collection piece. But certainly we weren't into the gun scene. If one of my boyfriends from high school had pulled out a gun during a fist-fight, everybody standing around would have treated him with total CONTEMPT, "What, you can't settle this without a gun? What kind of P***Y are you, anyway, that you've got to bring a GUN?!?" He would've never been able to live it down. Things are different nowadays, if you DON'T carry a gun you're considered weak. Ridiculous. Totally ridiculous.
                                                                                  truetex · 11:12 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                    "If one of my boyfriends from high school had pulled out a gun during a fist-fight, everybody standing around would have treated him with total CONTEMPT, "What, you can't settle this without a gun? What kind of P***Y are you, anyway, that you've got to bring a GUN?!?" He would've never been able to live it down. Things are different nowadays, if you DON'T carry a gun you're considered weak. Ridiculous. Totally ridiculous".

Liza, what planet are you living on? this is San Antonio, hispanic and black TEENS shoot and kill someone every week. Are you not watching the news? The cop had every reason to be scared. Bottom line if MIJO hadn't been smacking that kid, hadn't run, hadn't been a dirt bag, he would be alive today. The cop would still be in trouble at work.
                                                                                  Texian · 4:45 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                    Back then, and even earlier, thugs carried knives and chains. I suppose guns were a lot more expensive and harder to come by.
                                                                                  n3vino · 6:18 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                    when I was in the ninth grade, back in 1959, a white girl stood up in her science class and killed a white guy with a gun.

But guns were not the norm back then. It was knifes. However, most fights were man to man. No weapons. Today these cowards start a fight and they pull a gun. And they consider themselves tough because they can shoot someone.
                                                                                  [/list]
                                                                                  Liza_Null · 10:56 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                    WHAT WE HAVE HERE, IS A 27-YEAR-OLD MAN WHO BEHAVED LIKE THE 14-YEAR-OLD CHILD HE KILLED. AND NO ONE DID ANYTHING ABOUT THAT. NOW IT'S TOO LATE.

NOW A CHILD IS DEAD AT THE HANDS OF AN IMMATURE MAN FOR WHOM THE RIGORS OF HIS VOCATION EXCEEDED HIS CAPABILITIES.

THIS MAN COULD NOT PERFORM THE DUTIES OF HIS POSITION. HE WAS INCAPABLE, BUT SAPD KEPT HIM EMPLOYED.

AND NOW A CHILD IS DEAD.
                                                                                    jchapp · 11:19 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                      Was agreeing with you dispite all the caps....but then you wrongly said SAPD. I believe the article clearly states "Northside Independent School District Police Officer Daniel Alvarado."
                                                                                    Liza_Null · 12:14 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                      You are right, "jchapp", the all-caps was not good. And you're also right, he's not a SAPD employee, he's an employee of the school district.
                                                                                    45969 · 2:50 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                      again i say, the cop was wrong and should be punished, at the same time this was no child. if this were a 20yr old, what would be your excuse? the "child" wasnt acting like a child.
                                                                                    Outsideview23 · 2:04 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                      A CHILD does not run from cops, a CHILD, does not bunch and fight other kids, a CHILD does not get suspened from school. This boy was not a CHILD. Now that family wants to act like they are here for the boy, well its a little too late. The CRIMINAL'S family should have been there to straighten out this rotten kid before the faced the law.
                                                                                    [/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                    • *
                                                                                      • View Profile
                                                                                    « Reply #51 on: September 09, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
                                                                                    Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 121-140:

Ref_Who_ · 11:41 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                      To those of you who think my remarks are racist. They are not. All I'm saying is that if the cop hadn't been a "minority" then there would be no organization coming forward with $$$$ to defend him and draw the firing out. If the cop had not been a minority, the school district would have fired him after "several" of his instances and this would not have happened. The "kid", good or bad, did not deserve to be shot.
                                                                                    Ref_Who_ · 11:44 AM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                      I believe the family of the kid does hold some responsibility for his behavior, but we don't know the whole story on that do we? Did both parents work? Had they been to court to try to get help with his numerous problems? I personally know of a family with a terribly troubled child. They HAVE to work. Can't be with the kid 24-hours a day. The kid is WILD. The parents have begged the courts to lock the kid up for his own safey (and that of others). The courts just keep imposing a fine on the kid. Which of course isn't paid. But did this kid deserve to die? NO, he didn't. There are troubled kids in this world that parents flat cannot control, despite trying. Not saying that's the case in this instance, just saying those kids do exist in this country.
                                                                                      MLZ · 1:13 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                        Sorry, but any child who is "wild" or "troubled" is so because of the way they were raised. Babies are sponges and grow up to feel above the law, entitled, and bear no responsiblity for their own actions because of the inability of their parents to set ground rules and expect respect. It's really very simple, but then again, some people really shouldn't be allowed to pro-create. Not unless they are willing to put in the time and effort required to raise well productive members of society.
                                                                                      Ref_Who_ · 7:34 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                        MLZ you are so wrong. Get your head out of the sand. The family I'm referring to have 3 kids. All raised the same. Two have college degrees, excellent student. Worked their way through college to help pay the expenses. The 3rd kid, again, raised the exact same way as the other 3 is nothing but trouble. The parents have tried everything to intervene in this kid's life. Nothing has worked. I'm just so thankful that they have 2 successful kids. Else, they, just like people like you, would be blaming them. They did everything right. This kid is just BAD. Just be thankful, you do not have this problem.
                                                                                      [/list]
                                                                                      2008 · 12:22 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                        Finally got to read the story last night. Not much of a story except one written to give the family a leg up on their lawsuit. If the DA was going to indict the officer they probably would have by now. SAPD cleared him in their investigation and deemed it a lawful shooting. Seems the reporter here has more than a casual interest in the story since he's written most every article concerning the incident. And they've all been written from the viewpoint that the officer was wrong and the student was a misunderstood angel with wonderful parents, etc..... Seems he has an agenda which isn't surprising for this so called news organization.
                                                                                        Ref_Who_ · 7:40 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                          Where do you get that idea? Read how many violations the officer has had!!!!!
                                                                                        Name withheld · 11:55 AM on May 24, 2011
                                                                                          thrilldayoda · 10:30 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                            From most of your posts, it appears you have an agenda against the EN. just sayin'.
                                                                                          russell-23220136 · 5:17 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                            "SAPD cleared him in their investigation and deemed it a lawful shooting."
                                                                                            The autopsy proves that the officer lied. Just because SAPD makes kool-aid, it doesn't mean I have to drink it.
                                                                                          [/list]
                                                                                          2008 · 12:23 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                            Also find it amazing that after all the front page headlines here concerning the print only story now you can't even find this story without doing a search for it. Strange.

For those who haven't bought the paper to see the story, save your money. Not worth reading.
                                                                                          MLZ · 1:18 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                            So many people crying foul over this poor "child". Believe what you want to believe, keep your head in the sand if you wish, but a 14 year old who has SUSPENDED from school, and one an elementary school at that, is NOT a child. He's a punk. Fair or not, every action has consequences. He had a history of breaking the rules and I saw no involvement from the parents to make him responsible for it. Now they are "overly involved" trying to gain justice. Give me a break. You should have been involved from the get-go, teaching him that heading down this path would have serious consequences. It's sad that it came to this, but you don't hear about this from kids who go to school, respect authority and have supportive parents who teach them right from wrong.
                                                                                            MLZ · 1:19 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                              "been" SUSPENDED.
                                                                                            45969 · 2:51 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                              thats what ive been saying!!
                                                                                            OMAR · 10:17 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                              Sounds like the officer had a history of breaking the rules as well....
                                                                                            hoghuntin · 9:15 AM on May 24, 2011
                                                                                              a kid should not have to die because he got in a fight, or die because he had been suspended
                                                                                            MLZ · 11:19 AM on May 24, 2011
                                                                                              No, he should not have had to die, but HE put HIMSELF in the situation where the possibility was there. Plain and simple. It's not like he was an innocent bystander. Again, actions have consequences. Period.
                                                                                            OMAR · 7:14 PM on May 24, 2011
                                                                                              You put yourself in a position to die every time you get on the road to go to work, so if a fatal accident were to occur it would be less tragic?
                                                                                            thrilldayoda · 10:33 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                              Hmm. you must have been following his family a long time to make a judgement about involvement. Blame can be spread towards both sides, and until all facts are in, who are we to judge either way?
                                                                                            feduptoo · 11:05 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                              thrilldayoda...as an overworked NISD taxpayer that may have to pay part of the the hush money to the Lopez family, I very much have a right to have an opinion or a point of view on this topic.
                                                                                            MLZ · 2:41 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                              @Omar, that ridiculous comment doesn't even deserve a response, but here goes...getting into my car is NOT breaking the law! Enough said. @thrilldayoda, when a kid misbehaves this badly, the parental involvement is either non-existent or they put the blame on others. I've worked with children for over 18 years and I have the experience to speak.
                                                                                            [/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                            • *
                                                                                              • View Profile
                                                                                            « Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:39 PM »
                                                                                            Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 141-160:

OMAR · 4:51 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                yeah because i'm sure you dont speed bottom line is, every time we are in a position where could be in danger is it right that it occurs due to somebody else's incompetence.
                                                                                              MLZ · 8:36 AM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                If "we" are in any situation where we could be in danger, and we are NOT breaking the law, then"we" are innocent if something happens to us! This punk ran after taking a punch at a kid, not to mention that assault had been one crime he already had a record of. You're talking apples and oranges. YES we put ourselves in danger driving, flying, crossing the street, but we are NOT breaking the law while doing it. And NO I do not speed! Never had a speeding ticket in my life, thank you very much! : )
                                                                                              Name withheld · 7:20 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                feduptoo · 2:16 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                  Mr. Lopez's family wants to sellthe potntial jury pool out there that this kid was angel. Okay...well it's very interesting that the picture of Derek in this story shows him in the "what's up" fierce gangsta pose. The news story should have provided a picture of him smiling instead of trying to look all hard and dangerous.
                                                                                                  On the reverse side, the cop is smiling and looking like officer friendly. The cop is no angel either, but he knows the value of public relations and presentation.
                                                                                                  Name withheld · 11:47 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                    javithekid · 2:57 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                      RefWho- You say "IF the cop had not been a minority, NOBODY would have defended him."If minorities are defended (mostly constitutional cases) by organizations it is because the majority of minorities do not have the funds for proper legal counsel.For instance when do you ever see wealthy non hispanic or non black Americans on death row?? And how many minorities have been taken off death row for crimes they did not commit due to improper counsel and unfair prosecutors and bad police work?
                                                                                                      gr8tgirl2 · 4:35 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                        From 1973 until now, 137 death row inmates have been exonerated. 65 were black, 52 were white and the rest were either asian or latino. The numbers speak for themselves. Don't throw out the race card (BTW, San Antonio is 58.7% Hispanic, 33% White and 8.3% other. Technically, as a white person I am now the minority. In this day and age, race needs to stop being the issue!
                                                                                                      javithekid · 7:21 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                        You miss the point were any of those inmates that were enonerated wealthy,or educated?? Many did not have a 10th. grade education. Iam sure that the white inmates were poor whites..Bottom line the death penalty is reserved for the poor and uneducated.Maybe you should direct your race issue to RefWho. He spoke of minorities and in being so, get defended by "Bogus" groups? 175 have deen exonertated by DNA testing thanks to the innocence project. Read my postings more carefully Iam against racism.But unfortunately it is still a big issue.
                                                                                                      Ref_Who_ · 7:31 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                        Gr8tgirl2. I agree 100%. Race needs to quit being an issue. The LULAC and NAACP pick their cases to "defend" based solely on RACE. This is BS. I still stick by my statement that if this had been a "white boy" he would have been fired long, long ago for insubordination.
                                                                                                      renesalgado · 8:18 AM on May 24, 2011
                                                                                                        Ref_Who-I agree with javi, by the way in the first place,your the one who brought up race to begin with,when you mentioned the officer's last name Alvarado,meaning hispanic.In the following context"If his name wasn't Alvarado,
                                                                                                        he'd been fired by now." All javi said was stick to the issue.But you continue to bring up the issue of minorites or hispanic(s).Yet you say your are not racist?? Maybe you are not aware of what you say or how you put things? Now let move on,and stick tot he issues of maybe this person being a bad officer.
                                                                                                      [/list]
                                                                                                      uh-huh · 3:49 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                        A mother has lost her son, people. He was thug, he was a loser, he was a trouble maker...fine, but A MOTHER HAS LOST HER SON! Have some damn compassion.
                                                                                                        feduptoo · 5:40 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                          What would u have us all do to show "compassion" here? Pretend like the kids record did not exist? Would u have us ignore that the sequence of events that put this horrible tradegy into motion started with Derek Lopez beating down some kid at a busstop?
                                                                                                        feduptoo · 5:42 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                          And for the record, I am troubled by the cops past. But as it's been said before both of these indivudals were bad actors.
                                                                                                        feduptoo · 5:58 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                          I guess the main thing I can't get past is Derek was beating up someone (going upside someone's head) when the NISD cop started chasing him. If he was simply mouthing off or something like that I could feel more sympathy here.
                                                                                                        Name withheld · 8:00 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                          thrilldayoda · 10:38 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                            No opinion for either side. Just to clarify, The "beat-down" victim said it was just one punch, no big deal to him, at a bus stop, not school property.
                                                                                                          Outsideview23 · 2:07 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                            $5 that this kid probably would have taken a son away from their mother on the path he was going on.
                                                                                                          [/list]
                                                                                                          uh-huh · 3:52 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                            The boy didn't follow rules. He got into way too much trouble. He didn't respect or obey authority. He has lost his life because of it. This school cop, however, did not follow rules or obey authority either. He took someone else's life into his own hands. He did not do it in self-defense, as I suspect if he had, this fact would have been plastered all over this article. He killed someone one because of it. There is no right here. You involve two loose cannons, and someone is going to get hurt.
                                                                                                            uh-huh · 3:56 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                              Oh...sorry...the school cop feared for his life as a boy half his size and age "lunged" at him. My bad.
                                                                                                            thrilldayoda · 10:39 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                              Spot on
                                                                                                            [/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                            • *
                                                                                                              • View Profile
                                                                                                            « Reply #53 on: September 09, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »
                                                                                                            Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 161-180:

Texian · 8:29 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                uh-huh - Size, or lack of it, is irrelevant. Remember, David dropped the giant with one stone.
                                                                                                              [/list]
                                                                                                              hoghuntin · 5:09 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                                Seriously, I can't believe the school district kept this officer employed.. How are you going to count on someone to make the right decision in a tense situation when they can't even write their reports!!! The kid could have been a troublemaker, but he was unarmed. A 14 year old child should not have had to die because of this.
                                                                                                                feduptoo · 5:50 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                                  You're right...the kid should not have died. It's a tragedy that the kid made bad choices that led to this event.
                                                                                                                hoghuntin · 9:12 AM on May 24, 2011
                                                                                                                  Its a tragedy that a police officer shot a child because he was in a fight with another student. If the police officer had followed procedures he would not have panicked and shot this unarmed child.
                                                                                                                mgsatx-18308424 · 10:01 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                  feduptoo, it seems the cop made even worse choices that led up to this murder.
                                                                                                                thrilldayoda · 10:40 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                  Bad choices on both sides. sigh. Crash
                                                                                                                QueImporta · 12:50 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                  how is one to know the person in the shed is unarmed? i don't blame the officer for having his gun armed. from what we do know, the kid charged out of the shed. That might cause someone to shoot. You don't have time to ask a suspect charging you "do you have a weapon?"
                                                                                                                  It's sad the child died, let all the other parents and troubled children learn from this story.
                                                                                                                Texian · 5:52 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                  No one knew the kid was unarmed until after the fact. Hindsight is 20-20.
                                                                                                                [/list]
                                                                                                                cookie1982 · 5:12 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                                  To say that this would not have happened if the child were a "good" student is ridiculous. It doesn't matter if he was a troubled student or a straight A student...there is no justification for the senseless killing.
                                                                                                                  feduptoo · 5:52 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                                    "Sense-less" implies that the cause of something is not known. The cause here is known. A combination of probably bad parenting, bad choices from Derek, and a severe lapse of judgement from the police officer. The so called "perfect storm".
                                                                                                                  Ref_Who_ · 7:36 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                                    Teenagers make bad choices. Adults shoudl NOT be consistently making bad choices AND getting paid for them. NSID needs to pay and pay big for this. THEY should have fired this guy long ago.
                                                                                                                  2008 · 9:21 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                                    I disagree with your opinion that it wouldn't have happened had the kid been a good student. Point is had he been a good student he wouldn't have been where he was so it would have been prevented! He wouldn't have been hitting anyone nor been in this situation had he been a good student and more importantly a good person. There is no justification for his actions and those actions are what got him killed.
                                                                                                                  hoghuntin · 9:08 AM on May 24, 2011
                                                                                                                    FYI, senseless does NOT imply that the cause of something is not known. It means meaningless, or foolish. Something done without "sense" either way, a kid should not have died because he got in a fight
                                                                                                                  hoghuntin · 9:10 AM on May 24, 2011
                                                                                                                    Really 2008??? You think a child should die because they got in a fight with another student? You think those actions are worthy of death? give me a break
                                                                                                                  truetex · 11:29 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                    cookie, the kid died because he was NOT a law abiding citizen. Any law abiding citizen would not have been beating up on another. And a law abiding citizen would NOT have run from the police.

His life of crime got him killed.
                                                                                                                  QueImporta · 12:44 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                    It totally matters! Do you think a "good" student would be "fleeing" from police? Would he assualt another child for no reason? Would he obey an officers verbal command? It's sad that he died, but he wasn't a radnom kill, it was justified based on the facts that WE have been told so far.
                                                                                                                  [/list]
                                                                                                                  OMAR · 10:16 PM on May 23, 2011
                                                                                                                    A punk yes, lack of parenting, definitely, but did this kid deserve to die? Rhetorical question...
                                                                                                                    Texian · 8:19 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                      No one deserves to die like he did, but he placed his fate in his own hands when he failed to stop when he was told to, or to come out of the shed with his hands up.
                                                                                                                    [/list]
                                                                                                                    matseu · 8:34 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                      If the situation described by the officer is fact then you wont find any other agency that will prosecute him. If you bring in the Rangers, FBI, or any other organization that investigates these things, they will all clear him.

As for why he was still employed, ASK YOU FAVORITE UNION REPRESENTATIVE!
                                                                                                                    Pristine · 8:53 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                      If parents would teach their children respect, AND respect for authority, they wouldnt have to worry about school police. This child was allowed to grow up wild, and the parents are to blame.

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                    • *
                                                                                                                      • View Profile
                                                                                                                    « Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
                                                                                                                    Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 181-200:

mgsatx-18308424 · 9:58 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                        Do you know this kid or his family? At what point in the incident described would it have been okay for this cop to shoot the kid if it that kid were your teenage son?
                                                                                                                      QueImporta · 12:41 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                        The child had a serious record at a young age. He should have been at his ALT school, but he wasn't there...

It is a sad story, but I'm sure "students" from his former school benefited from realizing firsthand that your actions can lead to unfortunate outcomes.
                                                                                                                      Texian · 8:17 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                        mgsatx - I think you have your wires crossed. That wasn’t Pristine’s kid that got shot. Pristine demonstrates a level head and clear thinking on raising his/her kids. I doubt that his/her kids would have been in that predicament.
                                                                                                                      [/list]
                                                                                                                      Don-21761464 · 9:32 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                        Folks, poor parenting is strangling our school system is about to give us generations of dysfunctional families. Drop out rates among our hispanic boys continues to hover around 50 percent, we have 11 and 12 year olds having babies, kids who need values clarification in pre-school because they have parents who are valueless. In fact, when one teacher called a parents because the student continually was disrupting the class, the parent said, "That's your problem, not mine." I wonder what kind of family the officer came from?
                                                                                                                        feduptoo · 2:42 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                          I agree.
                                                                                                                        [/list]
                                                                                                                        Don-21761464 · 10:13 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                          Better parenting, better students. Good parenting includes impulse control, anger management, and delayed gratification. Tip of an iceberg, that is all we are seeing here from the officers to the students.
                                                                                                                        sports_medic · 10:15 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                          This kid is worth more to his family dead than alive. They'll get their check, get to act like the victim, and won't have to worry about bailing their kid out of trouble anymore.

NISD was negligent in how the handled the officer. Any settlement from this should go to some charity, after school program or diversion program where it might actually accomplish some good. Raising a juvenile delinquent should not be a lottery ticket.
                                                                                                                          [email protected] · 10:26 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                            what a sick comment!
                                                                                                                          Name withheld · 11:43 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                            QueImporta · 12:38 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                              sad but likely true ($ wise)

It wont bring the child back, but the family will likely benefit financially from it...
                                                                                                                            working_for_you · 1:40 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                              Wow. That was such a horrible thing to put on this comment board. May God have mercy on your cold, cold heart.
                                                                                                                            MLZ · 8:41 AM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                              There have definately been instances of families wanting "justice" who have sued only for the cost of the lawyers and other court fees. THAT is seeking justice. When you start suing for money then you are putting a price tag on your child. There is NO amount of money in the world worth the lives of my two sons. They are priceless!
                                                                                                                            [/list]
                                                                                                                            SAVOICE · 10:28 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                              In my opinion these parents are now trying to step up after years and years of slacking off. Children dont just become hoodlums like this kid became. The mother needs to just step up and take the responsibility of creating a thug. Dont blame police.. Blame yourselves!
                                                                                                                              jim76 · 11:04 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                But he was such an angel at home, he cooked, and helped his siblings with their home work...
                                                                                                                              dancertexas · 11:56 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                Hey SAVOICE! I didn't know you knew the mother personally! Surely you do, only someone who knows her can form an opinion like this. Please give her our regards, thanks!
                                                                                                                              QueImporta · 12:34 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                Dancer:

This isnt an obituary page. This is a more indepth artilce on the sad story of events. VOICE is entilted to his opinon just as you are. He/She isn't blasting the mom at the funeral or online obituary. Just saying that parents should hold themselves accountable.

You said you have a good kid at home that can become someone else at school. HANDLE it before it gets worse. If you just sit on your hands, thats bad parenting.
                                                                                                                              [/list]
                                                                                                                              jlrtx · 11:25 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                I must disagree with the comments stating partial fault on the suspect's side (ie. "If he was better disciplined... it's his parents fault"). At the time of the initial incident, the officer did not know who the kid was. All he knew was that one kid punched another. It's not a far fetched thought of kids fighting.

The article doesn't make it clear if the 14 year old had been identified by name or if his record had been communicated to the officer before his confrontation at the shed. Given the suspect's common name, more than likely not. If anything, as far as the officer knew, this was just any other 14 year old kid.

In a time where officers have several non-lethal options to subdue a suspect (pepper spray, tasers, k9s), jumping straight to deadly force needs to be questioned.

The officer was completely wrong in his actions and this wrong can not be justified by the past actions of the suspect. Let's not forget during his search for the suspect, he had the original victim as a passenger; putting him in potentially more danger and leaving him unsupervised as he searched for the suspect.
                                                                                                                                jim76 · 11:47 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                  Really, so personal accountability goes out the window??? Forget the fact that an officer told him to stop, and by not doing so it cost him his life, that the officer didnt just stop him for no reason, but because he was commiting an assult. Just like the officer had no idea about the kids past, he had no idea what the kid was doing in a shed, what do you keep in a shed, gardening equipment, like hedge clippers, axes, things that can be used as weapons. Did he deserve to die, hell no, but had he stopped, he'd be alive today...
                                                                                                                                jim76 · 11:52 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                  What most people don't realize, there are cops out there that really want to shoot people. I have had a cop tell me this after I did nothing wrong, but the idiot couldnt tell the diffrence between an amreican and a forigen car, and I called him on it. He was bacically bragging about almost shooting me, and said he should have cuz I was a smart aleck kid that thought he knew everything. Was I doing anything wrong, no, I was with a friend in a mecury topaz, and someone in a Camry had been carjacked. Shouldnt an officer know the difference?
                                                                                                                                dancertexas · 11:53 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                  Don't forget, jim, that if the officer had followed orders to "stay here" the kid would be alive. There have been countless people who do not stop when an officer tells them too, but they don't lose their lives for it, they get tackled, or tased, but they don't get shot, especially when they're only 14 and unarmed.
                                                                                                                                [/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                • *
                                                                                                                                  • View Profile
                                                                                                                                « Reply #55 on: September 10, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
                                                                                                                                Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 201-220:

feduptoo · 12:06 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                    If the cop had "tased" the kid, then you all would be mad about the taser saying that was a mean thing to do. Happens all the time when the cops use the taser.
                                                                                                                                  jim76 · 12:07 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                    True, apparently, both people involved in this unfortunate series of events had issues listening to authority figures. What we have is an unfortunate "Perfect Storm." People that don't stop when told to by an officer don't get shot, but those taht jump out of places that a cop has no idea what you are doing, more likely. I learned after my incidnet, never give them a reason, being right doesn't matter, if you are dead.
                                                                                                                                  feduptoo · 12:13 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                    jim76, as a Black male, my grandmother drilled it into my head over and over and over to always stop when a cop approaches you and do what you're told. If you have a complaint, get the badge number and deal with it later. The street or the side of the road is no place to back talk a cop. That advice has always served me well.
                                                                                                                                  jlrtx · 12:29 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                    "If the cop had "tased" the kid, then you all would be mad about the taser saying that was a mean thing to do."

I agree, there would also be criticism on the use of a taser. It is still, in most situations, a non-lethal option compared to drawing a firearm. And in this case, we probably would rather be reading a story about a 14 year old being tased instead of a 14 year old being killed.

Jim:
                                                                                                                                    I do believe in personal accountability but in this case, the punishment does not fit the crime. The kid could have been hiding in the shed with no intentions to murder anyone; he dashes to get away. Yes, the officer didn't know what the kid might have been thinking but ask any tactical officer, you don't rush a room when a suspect is armed. Even with worst-case-scenario mentality and his training, the officer committed a mistake.

Lethal force is a last resort and officers are trained to only draw and shoot with the intentions to kill. Such an option should only be reserved for the most dangerous situations; not a kid hitting another and running.
                                                                                                                                  QueImporta · 12:30 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                    Cause and effect:

You run, your likely going to be pursued. If you charge at an officer (even if to run away) you might get shot. The kid still put himself in the situation. He could have stayed put when told to "Freeze." His actions lead him to his eventual death. It's a sad story but those are the facts.
                                                                                                                                  jim76 · 1:27 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                    Agreed, the kid may have not had the intentions of murding the police officer, but the officer does't know that, and I wouldn't give any officer an opportunity to have to make that decision. the officer didnt rush into the shed, the kid rushed out, which, could be disputed given the forensics. Then punishment does not fit the crime, in all honesty I don't really like cops, and dont care for the one in this case, but at the same time, it is regretable that a 14 year old is dead, and doesn't have to be, but is because of his own actions. I agree with what someone else said, if the family was out for justice, they wouldnt be making this into a payday.
                                                                                                                                  jim76 · 1:28 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                    Where were the parents when all of this was happening? when he was beating up a kid, or vandalizing a school? Taking drugs to school, they didn't have money to fight it, but we all have a right to an attorney, if one can't be affored, they will appoint one to you in criminal court.
                                                                                                                                  jim76 · 1:29 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                    If this was my kid or nephew, I would be upset, but not at the officer, more so at the kid and or the parent for putting himself in that situation.
                                                                                                                                  [/list]
                                                                                                                                  javithekid · 11:46 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                  I dont want to judge, but if the officer is found to be guilty he should be replaced. Police should be screened better. Take Arizona's Sheriff Joe. It was just discovered that 3 of his own employee's, one sheriff and two detention officer's were arrested yesterday in a drug and human trafficking case. And imagine this!! One of the female detention officers is 8 months pregnant with the child of Francisco Arce Torres, a member of the Mexican Sinaloa cartel. That police agency like the one Alvarado works for,should have screened better.Now how much of that drug cartel has infiltrated that police agency?? Fire the guilty parties including their boss Sheriff Joe.That is a total breach of Arizona and maybe national security.[/list]
                                                                                                                                    renesalgado · 11:57 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                      very scary-
                                                                                                                                    truetex · 1:07 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                      javithekid,

Are you insinuating that Sheriff Joe forced Torres and his officer to have relations that caused her to become pregnant? Why would Sheriff Joe be responsible for her actions? Isn't any dirt bag responsible for their own actions anymore? When are we going to start holding everyone accountable for their own actions?
                                                                                                                                    renesalgado · 2:07 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                      truetex,It seems to me your more concerned about defending Sheriff Joe even thought it is obvious he did not screen those 3 officer's and 7 more are under investigation.Are you not concerned about Arizona and Maybe National security?? Javi has a point! Heads should roll in Arizona and the one in charge always takes the responsibility and the heat,he should step down.I just hope that does not happen here or anywhere else in the USA.
                                                                                                                                    truetex · 2:46 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                      renasalgado,

Not defending Joe, we don't know when she and the others were hired. So we don't know how long she had the relationship with Mr. Torres.

Is the sheriff responsible for all or the actions of every employee he has?

NO

My point is, when do we just say YOU F@#$ed up, and YOU, and only YOU are responsible.

One day someone is going to do something stupid, and it's going to be your fault.
                                                                                                                                    truetex · 2:53 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                      BTW I am very concerned about Nat Security. That is why I support securing the border, removing illegals, no amnesty, no dream(nightmare) act.
                                                                                                                                    renesalgado · 5:06 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                      Truetex-Iam sorry I do not agree. The buck stops with the head of any department and that goes for that Arizona sheriff.Whom I believe has made a career for himself bandwagoning on illegal or undocumented people,instead of doing his civic and local duties,and look what it got him? He wasnt watching his own back yard and the cartel has now probably infiltrated his own office.How much wio knows? Do you think that the female officer who is pregant with that Sinaloa cartel member will not try to have her boyfriend get even?? I think that Sheriff Joe opened himself a can of worms.That sheriff is responsible for his employee's.
                                                                                                                                    javithekid · 5:27 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                      truetex, Iam not insinuating anything. Iam merely posting what I consider to be a fact.And public knowledge.The negative actions of any enforcement agency,should hold accountable its person in charge,in this case Sheriff Joe. It is rather silly to suggest, that Sheriff Joe is responsible for a officer getting pregnant,But 3 officer's (including the pregnant female officer) were arrested for drug and human trafficking. And 7 MORE officer's are being investigated.All under the nose of Sheriff Joe. It goes to show that there was, and probably still is bad leadership and poor screening in that Dept. Your pass the buck theory does not apply here.
                                                                                                                                    truetex · 8:14 AM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                      Your are fooling yourself.

Almost every law enforcement agency in the world has had it's share of bad cops arrested for a variety of violations and mistakes. The head of the agency is almost NEVER held accountable for the actions of an incompatent officer.

As i said before, one day some one close to you is going to make a drastic mistake, or just screw up, and you are going to find yourself responsible.

Are you prepared to accept that? I think not when it involves you

No one is responsible for anyones actions, unless you forced/compeled/assisted in their actions.
                                                                                                                                    javithekid · 11:39 AM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                      Truetex-Sheriff Joe's agency is not just ANY another agency. It is filled with corruption,99 million dollars is mishandled taxpayer money,millions in out of court settlements, federal civil rights violations lawsuits,ongoing and The sheriff just lost one.Civil rights investigations,Federal grand jury investigation for abuse of power by this sheriff.Both investigations are still on going.Last week a pettion was filed asking that his agency be taken in receivership by the Feds.This is a agency that should be cleaned up.We will see if Joe is not held liable.I feel he will be found liable,one way or another.Now, he just might have to worry about these Sinaloa characters.It is best for Arizona and himself if he just steps down.
                                                                                                                                    [/list]
                                                                                                                                    dancertexas · 11:48 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                      Her son sounds a lot like my son (we're also Lopez's), model kid at home, but at school he goes from Jekyl to Hyde. As for the officer, it's all about kissing the right behind, sad but true.
                                                                                                                                      QueImporta · 12:05 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                        make sure your son reads this article. leasson for him to learn if he keeps acting up in school...
                                                                                                                                      [/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                      • *
                                                                                                                                        • View Profile
                                                                                                                                      « Reply #56 on: September 10, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
                                                                                                                                      Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 221-240:

dancertexas · 12:10 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                          What should I tell him? Don't hide in sheds because officers who can't obey a simple order like "STAY HERE" will shoot you?
                                                                                                                                        feduptoo · 12:33 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                          dancertexas...that's exactly what u should tell him. And also tell him not to be a gangsta and this won't happen to you.
                                                                                                                                        dancertexas · 12:37 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                          lol fedup okay i will tell him thx!
                                                                                                                                        feduptoo · 12:47 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                          You're welcome. My grandmother gave me almost the same advice growing up as a Black male on the city's eastside. And I listened. She always told me to follow orders and respect law enforcement. She said never, ever do anything that will give the cop a reason to shoot you.
                                                                                                                                        jim76 · 1:35 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                          All an officer needs is an excuse, it can be one as stupid as, "I thought he was going for something" as I stated earlier, one told me that had I gave him a reason, he'd have shot me, even though I had done nothing wrong other than maybe being hispanic. Don't give them a reason!!! you may wanna get your son some help, sounds like he has some passive-agressive issues he needs help with. Not trying to be mean, but there has to be a reason there are two sides of him.
                                                                                                                                        Name withheld · 1:57 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                          Name withheld · 1:58 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                            Kim · 3:29 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                              Dancertexas: I detected a bit of sarcasm in your response to feduptoo about talking to your son. This may sound crass but you can talk to him now or bury him later. The choice is yours. Fedup's grandmother had some very sound advice for him when he was growing up. Your son would be wise to heed it too.
                                                                                                                                            Texian · 7:59 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                              Dancer - If you know for a fact that "at school he goes from Jekyl to Hyde", why haven't you taught him/her proper respect for others? Seems to me this would fall under your responsibility.
                                                                                                                                            [/list]
                                                                                                                                            renesalgado · 11:54 AM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                              Javi,Wow! is right.I havent been up on the Arizona news. That is scary.
                                                                                                                                            Antonio-22304653 · 12:11 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                              Wow! At the age of 14 this kid is no longer a child. Also, what an impressive wrap sheet, drug possession, theft, assault, all by the age of 14. I know this is horrid for his mother to go through, but you reap what you sew. I'm sure his family is distraught and they cannot see that they have nobody to blame but themselves. Again the answer in our society is find a scum bag attorney who's willing to investigate...i mean file suit! The young man assaulted another kid, ran, hid in a shed, lunged when the office opened the shed and the officer reacted. Please don't confuse the facts of this incident with the officer's past history. The comments are "If he would've been fired, this wouldn't have happend." REALLY? How about if that kid didn't punch another kid in the face, then run and hide from an officer, this would not have happened. Yeah, I'm buying the latter.
                                                                                                                                              Fed-up_US_Citizen · 12:29 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                I agree, this "child" was on a really bad path, and on this same path, his death would have happened sooner or later, or be spending his life in prison.
                                                                                                                                              [/list]
                                                                                                                                              Fed-up_US_Citizen · 12:35 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                The relative made a comment about wanting justice, where was the family when he was committing his crimes, where's the justice for those victims. I'm sorry his death happened the way it did, but the family should have stepped up sooner, there's a lot of "what ifs" and "this shouldn't have happened" but it did and there are a lot of people kicking themselves now, from family members to friends to teachers who knew this boy and knew what choices he was making and could have stepped in. And I'm sure the officer is in his own hell right now.
                                                                                                                                              512-220-2427 · 1:32 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                As a former law enforcement officer, parent and current public school educator, this whole incident is horrible. This officer should have been arrested at the very least for criminal negligent homicide. I am truely sadden by the school district's failure to supervise their officers. The district attorney needs to be replaced for failing to protect our children from further harm or resign immediately
                                                                                                                                              aural_pleasure · 2:18 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                typical rent a cop behavior. newsflash: the position for eric estrada has already been filled BY ERIC ESTRADA!
                                                                                                                                              TonyB · 3:43 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                Bad Kid, Bad Cop, Bad circumstances, this story is just toxic. My heart goes out for the kids family a young life was snuffed out unnecessarily. Lesson to be learned parent(s) raise your kids knowing what is right or wrong in life. Good and bad choices in life will have consequences. I pray for the family.
                                                                                                                                              mrs.s · 4:12 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                Obviously this boy was not a prized student or citizen. That is something that mommy or his family will never admit too. Admitting that her son was a punk is admitting that her parenting skills were probably lacking at best. Let's hope that her breeding days are over, and her other kids have learned a lesson about respecting and obeying the law!!
                                                                                                                                                elvez · 5:38 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                  I'm sure your little angels never once got into a fight or broke a window or wrecked a car. All death sentence offenses according to you. I hope your breeding days are over. Obviously your thinking days are.
                                                                                                                                                ssgtflip · 9:58 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                  Wrecked a Car??? He was 14, what the...
                                                                                                                                                Name withheld · 5:25 PM on May 27, 2011

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                                  • *
                                                                                                                                                    • View Profile
                                                                                                                                                  « Reply #57 on: September 10, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
                                                                                                                                                  Comments left for the above article, "Officer who shot student had history of not following orders" (by Brian Chasnoff; May 25, 2011; San Antonio  Express-News), #s 241-255:

RAM · 5:10 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                    Sad...
                                                                                                                                                  DamnSkippy · 6:45 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                    This whole tragedy reminds me of the old saying 'Two wrongs don't make a right', except in this case insert problem behavior and pleasant outcome. Seems to me this was very avoidable.
                                                                                                                                                  mgarfy · 7:48 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                    sad story both the police officer and teen (who was no angel) end up with a death and career ending incident now some attorney will try to make a big pay day for the no careing family who see dollar signs welcome to the american dream fools
                                                                                                                                                  Name withheld · 9:03 PM on May 25, 2011
                                                                                                                                                    jmac · 6:25 AM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                      Theeee perfect example of why a citizen should be aware of his/her rights in any given situation when pulled over by an officer. Cops are people too and are subject to such things as corruption, greed, murder, theft, drugs, alcohol etc....If the officer is a good cop he/she will understand that you are a good citizen by knowing and undersanding your rights and that as an officer of the law he/she is employed by the citizen to protect and serve the citizen.
                                                                                                                                                    Name withheld · 8:10 AM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                      Name withheld · 2:14 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                          feduptoo · 3:00 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                            The fact Mr. Lopez was whipping on a kid at the busstop when all this went down gives us a good insight into his character
                                                                                                                                                          Name withheld · 3:28 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                            Beans · 5:11 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                              I think the underlying factor here is that both the boy and the officer realized that there were no significant consequenses to their actions thus their behavior patterns continued, the boy continued his destructive path, and the Police Officer continued to do as he saw fit regardless of directives by a superior officer. UNfortunatley the boy suffered the ultimate consequense to his actions, the Police Officer should face criminal prosecution and if found to be innocent be given a choice of another career field other than law enforcement. A Forest Ranger out alone in a couple thousand acres of trees sounds like a fitting place for him.
                                                                                                                                                            longhorn76 · 7:24 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                              He should have been fired after his third suspension. Just how many suspensions does NISD need to fire somebody?
                                                                                                                                                              Name withheld · 9:28 AM on May 27, 2011
                                                                                                                                                                ssgtflip · 10:39 PM on May 26, 2011
                                                                                                                                                                  The parents of this poor child have to bear a large portion of the blame. When we as parents fail to provide the discipline necessary for our children, we leave it up to strangers like principles and teachers to do that for us. Unfortunately, the Lopez family left it up to an equally irresponsible officer, and the result was tragic. The only thing we can hope is that a lesson can be learned fro this.... Probably not though.
                                                                                                                                                                  jim76 · 10:15 AM on May 27, 2011
                                                                                                                                                                    Yea, I am sure they are going to bear a large portion of the blame, on their way to the bank...
                                                                                                                                                                  [/list]
                                                                                                                                                                  mario-18265647 · 12:16 PM on May 27, 2011
                                                                                                                                                                    the bully "puknk" got he deserved. It was all his doing and nobody else is to blame. sad he was shoot and that he died but the officer did what he had to do "I was not their nor were you" and he is paid to protect our students and that is exactly what he did.

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                                                  • *
                                                                                                                                                                    • View Profile
                                                                                                                                                                  Eighth Grader Executed for Scaring a Cop
                                                                                                                                                                  « Reply #58 on: September 12, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                  From Lew Rockwell's site:

The LRC Blog

Eighth Grader Executed for Scaring a Cop
                                                                                                                                                                  Posted by William Grigg on May 26, 2011 12:09 AM

Between March 2006 and November 2010, Officer Daniel Alvarado of San Antonio's Northside Independent School District Police was suspended four times. Four times he was informed by supervisors that he faced "immediate termination." For some reason, when it came time to fire Alvarado, his superiors just couldn't bring themselves to pull the trigger. Alvarado displayed no similar scruples on November 12, 2010, when he murdered 14-year-old Derek Lopez, who had just taken part in a brief scuffle with another student.

Owing to his own troubled past, Lopez was a student at the Bexar County Juvenile Justice Academy. At around 4:30 PM on the fatal day, Lopez sucker-punched a 13-year-old classmate at a bus stop.

"He just hit me once," the student later recalled in a sworn deposition. "It wasn't a fight. It was nothing."

Unfortunately, Alvarado happened to be prowling the intersection in his patrol car, and witnessed the trivial dust-up.

"Freeze!" Alvarado shouted at Lopez, who bolted from the scene. Alvarado, in his mid-40s, briefly gave token pursuit before relating the first of several self-serving falsehoods.

"I just had one run from me," wheezed the winded tax-feeder. "I saw an assault in progress. He punched the guy several times." (Emphasis added.)

A supervisor instructed Alvarado "not [to] do any big search over there" in pursuit of the assailant. "Let's stay with the victim and see if we can identify [the suspect] that way."

Rather than doing as he was ordered, Alvarado bundled the "victim" -- who was probably more terrified of the armed functionary than of his obnoxious classmate -- into the patrol car and went in pursuit of Lopez.

Lopez vaulted a nearby fence and hid in a backyard shed containing Christmas decorations. The homeowner saw the intrusion, and a neighbor flagged down Alvarado's patrol car. The officer drew his gun "when he came up the driveway," recalled the homeowner. Within a minute or so, a single gunshot resonated through the neighborhood. When asked by the horrified homeowner what had happened, Alvarado -- who reportedly looked "dazed or distant" -- replied that Lopez "came at me."

"The suspect bull rushed his way out of the shed and lunged right at me," the timorous creature later claimed in an official report. "The suspect was literally inches away from me, and I feared for my own safety."(Emphasis added.)

Alvarado was lying, of course. An autopsy revealed "no evidence of close range firing [on] the wound," and no gunpowder stains were found on the victim's bloody t-shirt.

By this time, the boy who had taken the punch at the bus stop had called his mother via cell phone. She arrived shortly after Alvarado had gunned down Lopez.

"At one point, the mother told a witness, 'He shot him? Why did he shoot him? He didn't have to shoot him," reports the San Antonio News-Express.

Alvarado, who four times was on the cusp of being fired for insubordination, disobeyed a direct order on November 12. He falsified key details of the shooting in his official report. A 14-year-old boy was gunned down execution-style for the venial offense of engaging in an adolescent scuffle, and for compelling an overweight middle-aged badge-polisher to run a few hundred yards. According to the San Antonio Police Department, this is all perfectly acceptable: The department ruled that the murder of Derek Lopez was a "justified" shooting.

Although he's been removed from patrol duty, Alvarado remains on the force, albeit in a tax-subsidized sinecure. Although he had repeatedly been threatened with termination for sloppiness or defiance in carrying out administrative duties, Alvarado faces neither criminal prosecution nor professional censure for murdering a 14-year-old boy. Apparently, insubordination in carrying out office functions is a much graver matter than insubordination that results in the needless death of an adolescent Mundane.

Despite the fact that this incident involved two teenage boys who attended a special school for troubled juveniles, parents should understand that students in practically any government-run "educational" institution can fall prey to sudden -- and potentially lethal -- police violence.

"Every day in communities across the United States, children and adolescents spend the majority of their waking hours in schools that increasingly have come to resemble places of detention more than places of learning," observes investigative reporter Annette Fuentes in her infuriating and valuable new book Lockdown High: When the Schoolhouse Becomes a Jailhouse. Federally subsidized "zero tolerance" policies growing out of the "War on Drugs" have created what Fuentes and other critics of the system call the "school-to-prison pipeline": "If yesterday's prank got a slap on the wrist, today those wrists could be slapped with handcuffs."

As the case of Derek Lopez illustrates, a childish prank could be treated as a capital offense, with summary execution carried out by a corrupt cop who doesn't have to endure so much as a slap on the wrist.

# # #