Author Topic: NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase  (Read 21415 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Teen shot by Northside officer identified
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
San Antonio Express-News

Teen shot by Northside officer identified
Authorities said Derek Lopez, 14, was shot by a Northside ISD policeman Friday.

By Eva Ruth Moravec
Published 10:33 a.m., Monday, November 15, 2010

Authorities have released the name of a teenager killed by a Northside Independent School District police officer Friday.

Derek Lopez, 14, was shot to death in the side yard of a far West Side home Friday around 5:05 p.m., according to a San Antonio Police Department incident report.

Officer Daniel Alvarado, 45, is on paid administrative leave while SAPD investigates the shooting. A 16-year veteran of the force, Alvarado was assigned to the patrol division and was in full uniform in a patrol car Friday afternoon, school district spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez and San Antonio police said Alvarado was patrolling an area near Pease Middle School on Friday when he came across a fight at a bus stop at Hunt Lane and Santa Fe Ridge.

Witnesses told police Derek struck another boy in the face with the back of his hand. Alvarado tried to detain the teen, who ran across the street and into the Trails of Santa Fe neighborhood, the report states.

Alvarado took a witness to the fight along with him as he tried to find Derek in the residential area, police said.

Neighbors then told Alvarado that Derek was hiding in a backyard in the 200 block of Roswell Canyon, where someone inside that home had already called 911 to report a possible burglary in progress.

Alvarado searched the yard but couldn't find the boy, police said.

He reportedly announced, "Police, police," several times before peering into a shed where Derek was hiding. According to police, Derek was crouching on the ground and then lunged through the shed's door, knocking it in Alvarado's face.

Alvarado, "fearing for his life," discharged one round, striking Derek in the chest, the incident report states. He then conducted cardiopulmonary resuscitation until EMS arrived, police said.

As originally published, this story contained an error.

© 2011 Hearst Communications Inc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Teen shot by Northside officer identified
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
    "As originally published, this story contained an error."[/list]

Corrections: Nov. 15-21, 2010
    mySanAntonio.com posts corrections from the San Antonio Express-News and mySA.com every weekday.

mySanAntonio.com
    Published 01:17 a.m., Saturday, November 20, 2010

SATURDAY

• Because of incorrect information provided to the newspaper, a story in Tuesday's Express-News and on mySA.com misstated the age of a Northside Independent School District officer involved in a fatal shooting. He is 45.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "Teen shot by Northside officer identified"
    « Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 10:58:28 PM »
    Comment left on the above article, "Teen shot by Northside officer identified" (by Eva Ruth Moravec; Nov. 15, 2010; San Antonio Express-News)

512-220-2427 · 10:57 AM on December 17, 2010
      "fearing for his life", well as a supposed veteran police officer this officer knows all the "catch phrases". As a former law officer, now school teacher, I have made significant changes inmy views & interactions with youth. For one, I know that my employement duties end,when the student is off campus. Too bad for this teen that this officer decided to take matters into his own hands instead of waiting for backup. If the child is inside a shed, just wait him out. Also, consider where you are and the type of students you will encounter. An alternative school means children w/behavior issues - that's why they get assigned to this school.It doesn't take a genius to know that these type of kids push the limits & typically have authority issues too. So sad that the school admistrators provide such inadiqaute training to insure that our kids make it home afterschool.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    In teen's shooting, how did we get here?
    « Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »
    San Antonio Express-News

In teen's shooting, how did we get here?
    Veronica Flores-Paniagua: It should not have taken three days for officials to release the name of the Northside Independent School District police officer who last Friday shot and killed a 14-year-old boy.

By Veronica Flores-Paniagua
    Published 09:35 p.m., Monday, November 15, 2010

It should not have taken three days for officials to release the name of the Northside Independent School District police officer who last Friday shot and killed a 14-year-old boy.

In explaining its decision not to publicly release - until Monday - the name of the officer, NISD spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said the district wanted to protect Daniel Alvarado, a 16-year veteran, so he could have time to "deal with this very devastating incident." But imagine the trauma to the boy's family. Who protected them?

The litany of blame - and the list of questions - grow from there.

Derek Lopez shouldn't have run from Alvarado. (Already expelled from Northside schools, was the eighth-grader heading for more trouble?)

Alvarado, too, should have taken appropriate precaution before peering into a storage shed where the teen was hiding. (Why didn't he wait for backup?)

Lopez, whatever his faults or fears, should have responded in a more docile way to the officer's calls of "police, police." (Why didn't he simply call out that he was unarmed and that he was coming out with his hands up?)

Alvarado shouldn't have drawn his gun. (He told investigating officers that he witnessed Lopez delivering a backhand slap to another boy. For this, was the use of deadly force necessary?)

Lopez shouldn't be dead. (How did we get here?)

Even in hang-'em-high Texas, many still have the decency to feel deeply troubled by what happened in that far-West Side backyard Friday. For some, it's still unnatural for a teen to be shot dead by a cop, even with the proliferation of gun-toting school district police departments in the past 20 years. But was this really so unforeseeable?

Those who follow the so-called "School-to-Prison" pipeline, the euphemism used to describe the growing reliance on school district police to do what educators did themselves not so long ago, suggest that a confluence of circumstances led to Friday's incident.

"You put a ton of enforcement, and what are they going to do? Enforce things," said Lisa Graybill, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, which last month hosted a seminar on use of school district police. In other words, what once brought after-school detention now invites harsher punishment. What once prompted an assistant principal to haul a kid into the office now has the medical examiner performing an autopsy on an eighth-grader.

"We're headed in the wrong direction, and as a result this kid is gone," Graybill said.

Use of deadly force by school district police officers is, fortunately, uncommon in San Antonio. A check of Northside, North East and San Antonio school districts, the city's three largest, revealed only two incidents that officials could recall. Friday's was one and another, about five or six years ago, involved an SAISD officer and an adult car-burglary suspect who wasn't a student.

Graybill isn't dismissive of the dangers that some public school campuses are forced to deal with. Her mother once taught in a public high school, so she has a healthy respect for school discipline problems.

But surely there is a saner - and safer - middle ground. One that doesn't involve a gun. Or a dead 14-year-old.

[email protected]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    14-Year-Old Shot, Killed By Police Officer Identified
    « Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
    KSAT.com - San Antonio

14-Year-Old Shot, Killed By Police Officer Identified
    Northside Independent School District Officer Shot Teen After Chase

POSTED: Monday, November 15, 2010
    UPDATED: 6:44 pm CST November 15, 2010

SAN ANTONIO -- The Bexar County Medical Examiner's office has released the identity of the 14-year-old boy who was shot and killed by a Northside Independent School District police officer on Friday.

VIDEO News coverage: Watch Stephanie Serna's 5 PM Report |  Watch Isis Romero's 6 PM Report: Derek's Mother Speaks Out

According to the medical examiner, Derek Lopez, 14, was killed by a single gunshot wound fired by Officer Daniel Alvarado, 40.

The shooting happened shortly after 4 p.m. Friday in the Santa Fe subdivision, located on Roswell Canyon, near the intersection of Highway 151 and Potranco Road.

According to the report, which was released on Monday, Alvarado was patrolling the neighborhood and saw Lopez assaulting someone. Alvarado began chasing Lopez on foot through the neighborhood, but "lost sight of him."

A witness reported the teen was in a backyard at a house on Roswell Canyon.

The officer didn't see him at first, but "approached the storage shed to search further for the suspect announcing several times 'Police, Police.'"

The report also stated that the "(Lopez) lunged through the doorway at (Alvarado), intentionally knocking the shed door into (Alvarado's) face."

The report further details that "fearing for his life, (Alvarado) discharged one round striking (Lopez) in his torso."

Gonzalez said Monday that Lopez had been expelled from Pease Middle School and then from from a Northside alternative school and was attending the Bexar County Juvenile Justice Academy.

"My son didn't deserve that ... he was a good kid," said Denise Moreno, Lopez's mother. "He was very good. Everybody who knew my son knew that he was a loving kid and he did for everybody, so I don't appreciate anything bad that they're saying about my son."

Moreno said she has not been given a lot of details about the shooting and has not had a chance to view her son's body.

The San Antonio Police Department is investigating the shooting.

Alvarado has been with the Northside school district for 17 years and will remain on administrative leave until the investigation is complete.

The family is planning a rosary for Lopez at Puente and Sons Funeral Home. He will be buried on Saturday.

Reporters Stephanie Serna and Isis Romero contributed to this story.

Previous Stories:

©2011, KSAT - San Antonio

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed ... Identified" 1st
    « Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »
    Comments left for the above article, "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed By Police Officer Identified" (by KSAT News staff with Stephanie Serna and Isis Romero; Nov. 15, 2010; KSAT), #s 1-25:

ldsok · 9 months ago
      another tragedy because of inattentive and irresponsible parents...poor kid
      Guest · 9 months ago in reply to ldsok
        This comment was flagged for review.[/list]
          ldsok · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
            sad situation all around...14 geez...
          navychic · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
            What do the democrats have to do with the hypothetical looser dad? A bit random, don't you think...?
            Guest · 9 months ago in reply to navychic
                navychic · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                  Whatever. Sounds like the long way around to reaching a soap box. I didn't read anything about this kid's parentage or even that he is black-just troubled-I mean "at risk". Republicans must be handing out crystal balls with the democrat bashing propaganda...missed mine. maybe cuz i'm not white...or wealthy...or a man.
                [/list]
                Guest · 9 months ago in reply to navychic
                  I see the facts bear me out. It is a burden at times being right all the time.
                [/list]
                big_pun · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                  You sir are a moron, this has nothing to do with politics
                  Guest · 9 months ago in reply to big_pun
                    It has everything to do with politics. Policy. Values. Standards. Accountability. Education. Responsibility. All things that are contrary to the democRAT code of conduct. You rely on stupid shallow minded people. Dependence is the wellspring of you tards. There is a political slant on everything.
                  [/list][/list]
                  DL2brother · 9 months ago in reply to ldsok
                    how would you feel you go to pick your child up from school no where to find them and next thing you know homicide officers are your door step? His mother picked him up everyday after school! Regardless of what went wrong to cause this whole tragedy the officer had no right to shoot and kill Derek. His mother and step father were very involved in his life. I know of alot of freinds who raise theri kids the best they can and have ended up using drugs or ended up in jail... it has nothing to do with the way a child is being raised!!! and still dont know where they went wrong. so before you state that his parents were inattentive or irresponsible read your facts!!!!
                    timmer1001 · 9 months ago in reply to DL2brother
                      You know a lot of good parents who raised their kids the best they can then they end up in jail??? Do you see the irony in that?
                      the best they can is not good enough. This punk got what he deserved. I feel bad for the cop
                    [/list][/list]
                    ldsok · 9 months ago
                      I know sad situation all around...
                    mart2001 · 9 months ago
                      Democrat social engineering? Please people say this 10 times, maybe you'll understand what it means: I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul
                    CISCOKID1 · 9 months ago
                      Wrong place wrong time?
                    Texas3Step · 9 months ago
                      It is a sad situation, but if the kid was assaulting someone and then ran from the police, he dealt the play. This is sad for those who loved him, if anyone, and for the officer, who, no matter how justified, has to deal with the pain of having taken a young life.
                    David · 9 months ago
                      why would a cop has his gun drawn on a student?? makes no sense. At this point it doesnt matter if the kid had a father or not.....highly irrelevant and ignorant comment. just sayin...
                      jbjaybird1 · 9 months ago in reply to David
                        A student can kill just like any other pos. Most all thugs were "students" at one time or another. I feel bad for the young man and the officer. The young man lost his life but the officer will have to think about it for the rest of his life. So sad for both of them.
                      timmer1001 · 9 months ago in reply to David
                        The kid was a punk and he was violent and he assaulted the cop... of course the cop fires.
                      [/list]
                      big_pun · 9 months ago
                        This young boy was dealt a cruel life. No matter what ignorant things he did in life, he did not deserve to leave this earth yet. Contrary to what many may believe "he got what he deserved" this was just a child who did not have a full chance to grow up yet. One of the many reasons why officers at schools should not have firearms, it should be left up to the professionals. My heart goes out to his parents.
                      Beckster05 · 9 months ago
                        Why don't they say What really happend the Heroic story of Derek Fighting someone for Domestic Violence being put upon a Girl... That's why he assaulted that guy and then ran off when he saw the cop. That N.I.S.D. Cop seriously didn't need to end a Young man's Life the way he did, Don't they teach cops how to shoot??? Apparently not, they show them how to murder!!! And after searching Derek they Found NOTHING, No drugs or Weapons. But yet the N.I.S.D cop was being assaulted by Derek.
                        mentalmessiah1 · 9 months ago in reply to Beckster05
                          Well gee Beck! If this sh**head derek was soooo rightous ( as you depict him to be ) then why didn't he cooperate with the officer instead of running? Had he cooperated, he would still be here right? Yes he would. And who made this kid the Defender of the Abused? And they do teach them how to shoot...after all, he took the little bas*ard out with ONE shot didn't he?
                        True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago in reply to Beckster05
                          When a person chooses to flee a cop for any reason, that sure makes one wonder just what they are running from and what they are up to, then he hides in a shed?? Come on, are you really that nieve to think all this kid was doing was protect some girl from being assaulted but some other thug??? I would have thought the kid was smart enough to stick around, explain to the cop what was taking place (after all he had a witness supposedly) and have the cop pat him on the back and compliment him for doing the right thing. No, he takes off like a criminal, hides in a shed then kicks the door open trying to knock the cop off balance so he could run some more. Really smart punk!!
                        pedroandblue · 9 months ago in reply to Beckster05
                          You would think if this were the actual case, Derek would RUN to the Police Officer and explain the situation.
                          Wait he did run, but the opposite way.
                          Derek is the same type of kid that killed that taco vendor, viola barrios, and that other crazy kid who killed his mother and tried to cart her down the stairs.They all shared the same thing-violence.
                        timmer1001 · 9 months ago in reply to Beckster05
                          I am glad they teach the cop how to shoot. One shot, One win. We are all better off now
                        [/list]
                          Seriously what kind of Training do N.I.S.D cops get??? To just shoot or to Kill??? I don't get why the focus is mainly on the supposed Assault that was given to the Cop, but no one really focuses on the Heroic action of Derek fighting with someone for Domestic Abuse on a girl, and then after that he saw the cop and took off running. Regardless Derek's background , when he was searched he possesed NO WEAPONS and NO DRUGS. Honestly was this the best way to deal with a young man that stood against domestic violence and now won't ever see the light of day again.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                        Comments: "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed ... Identified" 2nd
                        « Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »
                        Comments left for the above article, "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed By Police Officer Identified" (by KSAT News staff with Stephanie Serna and Isis Romero; Nov. 15, 2010; KSAT), #s 26-50:

Beckster:

Wasn't this punk kicked out of numerous schools and "attending" Bexar County juvenile academy? Yes, a stellar career for a good boy. Oh, wait, he was a local punk. I am glad this criminal was stopped at 14 rather than at 20 after he raped my daughter.
                          [/list]
                          cil492000 · 9 months ago
                            I'm sure Derek was just a confused altar boy/choir boy/boy scout on his way to help feed the poor.His rap sheet probably says it all.
                          Frances · 9 months ago
                            Why was an NSID cop patrolling the NEIGHBORHOOD? Even if the kid were such a miserable character something here does not compute.
                            True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago in reply to Frances
                              I don't know what SAPD's regulations are about these School security officers pulling off campus duty but this could have been his neighborhood and if the community was having theft and burglary problems, chances are he was keeping an eye on the neighborhood and was probably justified in doing so. When I was a deputy, I use to keep an eye on my neighborhood and I had every right to do so. The only thing the sheriff and constable required us to do was to check in and let them know if anything was wrong so our butts would be covered in case of something like this. You can be placed on duty immediately upon request from your superior officers, I had to do it a couple of times.
                              pedroandblue · 9 months ago in reply to True-Native-Texan
                                A Texas Peace Officer can arrest in any county in the state of Texas for all offenses except for traffic.
                                It was an offense within view and it is his literal duty to take action.
                                They are not security officers, they are actual TECLEOSE licensed Peace Officers. The same license SAPD, BCSO (except some deputies are not licensed PO's because they are detention officers) and other Police Officers are required to have.
                                Frances · 9 months ago in reply to pedroandblue
                                  Thanks to those of you who were gracious enough to explain what I really didn't understand without calling me names.
                                  pedroandblue · 9 months ago in reply to Frances
                                    Frances don't be deterred by an occasional online-warrior. They are harmless to everyone and only harmful to themselves because they have to live with that misery. :)
                                  [/list][/list][/list][/list]
                                    mentalmessiah1 · 9 months ago in reply to Frances
                                      Francis...what doesn't compute is your lack of intelligence. School district patol officers are ALWAYS in the neighborhoods. Where do you think most of the schools are?
                                    emergencyops · 9 months ago in reply to Frances
                                      Patrolling for truants, perhaps. Like Texan said, the neighborhood could have been experiencing theft and burglary problems. Some school police officers are called upon by city police to assist them. Maybe SAPD requested an extra set of eyes and ears in the area surrounding the school. Sadly, the child was heading down the wrong path and it all came to an end in someone's backyard.
                                    [/list]
                                    pedroandblue · 9 months ago
                                      The memoirs of Viola Barrios comes to mind when situations like this arise. It was a matter of time before the wanna-be politicians came in with ignorant comments. Thankfully they are not real politicians-only in their little minds.
                                      True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago in reply to pedroandblue
                                        Whether we like it or not, politics plays a big part of such tragedies as this, if politicians would get it out of their criminal minds that they know how to raise our children better than the parents do and start leaving the raising of kids in the hands of parents, not teachers and politicians, then you could blame the parents. Instead, we have everyone raising kids today besides the parents and threatening parents with prison or fines if they use corporal punishment on a child or in any way deprive the kid of any of his toys when he does something bad and gets in trouble. If the governmet wants to take over raising our kids, then they are the root of the fault of how these kids turn out, get off the backs of the parents, you can't have it both ways you moron politicians.

That is my feelings to where politics fit into these bad situations, maybe you have a different view, if so lets hear it, ok? We have given government way too much say so and control over our lives and decision making, this is the result as I see it.
                                        pedroandblue · 9 months ago in reply to True-Native-Texan
                                          TNT they do play a part in this situation, but not in an ignorant way as some have been protesting. I agree with your comment, but some of these other people are just loony tunes with the political sword.
                                          I used to get whooped and it did me well. I made it passed 14. Heck I remember I used to get licks from the coach for getting a D while playing sports.
                                        [/list][/list]
                                        i308i · 9 months ago
                                          1) TEEN FLEES FROM THE POLICE OFFICER, 2) TEEN BREAKS INTO SOMEONE'S SHED, 3) TEEN SCUFFLES WITH POLICE OFFICER, 4) TEEN EXPELLED FROM SCHOOL...Well there you have it, I NOW KNOW HOW HIS PARENTS RAISED THIS TEEN.
                                          jrod · 9 months ago in reply to i308i
                                            He was a student at JJA Juvenile Justice Academy you got mess up a whole lot to get there!
                                            deltadart · 9 months ago in reply to jrod
                                              yep...JJA only accepts the "Best of the Worst " to attend thier campus!
                                            [/list][/list]
                                            monimor · 9 months ago
                                              I happen to work for a school district and let me tell you..these kids now a days are just horrible. These school district officers in Middle and High schools have to put up with alot. It's not just boys, the girls are just as bad. I am not saying that the officer had the right to shoot this boy but maybe the boy would still be here if he had not ran. Obviously, he was running because he had been in trouble already. It all goes back to the parents and how they raise kids these days. Parents: YOUR KIDS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS! Teach them to respect adults and most importantly, teach them to break the cycle and do something with their lives.
                                              Chico09 · 9 months ago in reply to monimor
                                                Exactly, people are starting younger and a lot of what I've witnessed are parents that are just into their own lives and let their kids do whatever they want as long as the parents aren't bothered.
                                              mentalmessiah1 · 9 months ago in reply to monimor
                                                well said monimor.
                                              i308i · 9 months ago in reply to monimor
                                                monimor: YOU HAVE THE RIGHT IDEA. However I don't see many family's who have Aunti's in Bel Air who would be WILLING to take in a THUG, a good kid yes. I am referring to the sitcom Prince of Bel Air (Will Smith).
                                              [/list]
                                              True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago
                                                Because of such incidents as you had at Columbine High in Colorado, I would imagine schoold districts now have a different attitude about their campus police officers being armed. What good is a campus police officer when he has a can of mace and a night stick and you have a student or students pull off what these two did at Columbine. Columbine is just one single isolated example, there have been dozens across this country just in the past ten to twelve years. Do I like the idea of armed police officers on our school campuses, not really but do I want someone to be able to stop a drugged out gun blazing punk like those two at Columbine were.....absolutely!!! Society has created these problems, now we have to do what is necessary to control it and protect the overwhelming majority of our school kids. Like the ole saying goes.."I'd rather have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". With the extremely high abuse of drugs today, we have to adapt and change policies to deal with it, armed security guards at our schools is unfortunately one of those changes so we might as well get used to it.
                                              Chico09 · 9 months ago
                                                Where are the parents in all this? I have a 14-yr-old boy and he does not and would not act like this. Sad that anyone can have a child, but so many choose not to be parents that nuture and care for their offspring. Sounds like this kid was headed down the wrong path and it ended before he could really do some damage.
                                              big_pun · 9 months ago
                                                So you're saying Officer Alvarado, a trained professional, who probably weighs 265 (give or take a few doughnuts) was unable to apprehend a 14 year old kid that he had to use brute force by killing him. According to the report Alvarado fired one shot in self defense, question is was he firing the shot to try and scare Derek Lopez or did he fire the shot to intentional hit him. I would like to personally see Officer Alvarado face the kids family face to face and explain how he killed their kid.
                                                deltadart · 9 months ago in reply to big_pun
                                                    big_pun · 9 months ago in reply to deltadart
                                                      It's nice to know that you support the act of murdering kids just because of his troubled past. I hope you don't have any kids of your own and if you do should something tragic like this happen to your kid one day I hope you suffer, or even more, than what his parents are going through right now.
                                                      pedroandblue · 9 months ago in reply to big_pun
                                                        Hate to say this but if the parents cared, they would have had that kid under control since birth and that kid would still be alive.
                                                        I have pitbull dogs and believe it or not, they are more trained and disciplined than most kids and that training comes from me, but dont assume I wouldn't put them down if they became a threat to myself or any other person.
                                                      [/list][/list][/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                                      Comments: "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed ... Identified" 3rd
                                                      « Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:40 PM »
                                                      Comments left for the above article, "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed By Police Officer Identified" (by KSAT News staff with Stephanie Serna and Isis Romero; Nov. 15, 2010; KSAT), #s 51-75:

pedroandblue · 9 months ago in reply to big_pun
                                                          Big_pun you have to understand and I stress the word "understand". It is ones personal choice to have children or animals, but for others that cannot have children and opt not to adopt they turn to pets for companionship.
                                                          This is where the "responsibility" as for ANYTHING that is capable of doing harm comes into play. The problem with you is you assume, then not want to assume. You have to make up your mind which side of the fence you are on-but at the end of the day it is my right to "assimilate" dogs and kids being the same because I know for a fact my dogs are worth more than that kid that killed Viola Barrios, better than those parents who buried their children under a home. So tell me something factual that way you will not have to assume, then not assume.
                                                        deltadart · 9 months ago in reply to big_pun
                                                          LOL...big-pud...it's because of pathetic little germs like you is why more and more trailer parks are going up. If this kid had beat the s*it out of your kid (like he's done to many others) you would be on the other side of the fence. And I do have kids...none of which have EVER been foolish enough to do anything like this...why? because I raised them to respect figures like teachers, police officers, etc... So, again, get back to your trailer and be quiet.
                                                        thejugfather · 9 months ago in reply to big_pun
                                                          you know i work with kids day in and day out...and it pains me to say this but there are those that you can look in their eyes and know that there is no saving them. they are taking up space and shuffleing through the system and buying time when they can drop out and start their real careers as hard core criminals. sad but true so drop the holier than thou routine because some people put up with these little hooligans EVERYDAY and you better bet your bottom dollar that we try everyway to save them but there are some that just don't WANT to be saved or could care less what you say or how much you try!
                                                        [/list][/list][/list]
                                                          timmer1001 · 9 months ago in reply to big_pun
                                                            I am glad Alvarado is a good shot. He deserves a medal and our appreciation
                                                          [/list]
                                                            Wow amazing how Cruel society can really be!! Many of ya'll seem to be Ok with the fact of a Troublesome 14 year old loosing his life, UNBELIEVABLE. Like I mentioned before regardless his background history , he deserved to live his life just like any so called Criminal. We pay taxes for them Child Molesters, Women Rapist, and just plain cold killers to live in a cell for the rest of their lives, but let me get this straight, It's ok for a 14 year old to be shun away forever from ever becoming something in life and having that chance to turn his life around??
                                                            Guest · 9 months ago in reply to Beckster05
                                                              Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                thejugfather · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                  and you? you must be a plain old idiot!

what did your post have to do with ANYTHING i said OR what the person siad above me? do us all a favor and go back and bury your head in the sand.
                                                                Guest · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                  Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                    True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                      You liberals love Hitler apparently, your always bringing up his name. You know how to the "heil hitler" salute too?
                                                                      Guest · 9 months ago in reply to True-Native-Texan
                                                                        Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                            No actually my grandpa would have shot morons like you because of the uniform you were wearning...kee it up greezer.
                                                                          timmer1001 · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                            Sausages are really good.
                                                                          [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
                                                                              You liberal morons love that name don't you, your always bringing it up on these sites. You know how to do the "heil hitler salute" yet?
                                                                            [/list][/list][/list]
                                                                              Vidal · 9 months ago in reply to Beckster05
                                                                                If anything the school should invest in non-lethal ways to apprehanend suspects in expample tazor,rubber bullets. Or they should retrain the police officers on rules of engagment. If there was no weapons why was a shot fired? I think the school should invest on keeping accidents like this from happening
                                                                                theone1tocall · 9 months ago in reply to Vidal
                                                                                  what do u know bout non lethal weapons
                                                                                [/list][/list]
                                                                                  Wow amazing how Cruel society can really be!! Many of ya'll seem to be Ok with the fact of a Troublesome 14 year old loosing his life, UNBELIEVABLE. Like I mentioned before regardless his background history , he deserved to live his life just like any so called Criminal. We pay taxes for them Child Molesters, Women Rapist, and just plain cold killers to live in a cell for the rest of their lives, but let me get this straight, It's ok for a 14 year old to be shun away forever from ever becoming something in life and having that chance to turn his life around??
                                                                                    Why did he deserve to live exactly? He became all he could be come.. a scumbag punk
                                                                                  [/list]
                                                                                  Cozmo · 9 months ago
                                                                                    Unfortunately kids do not know what consequences are anymore, maybe his parents don't either. Whatever his situation, it doesn't seem as if his parents were trying to help him. As for the cop, he has to live with it, his decision had to be made in a split second and now he's dealing with the consequences of his actions.
                                                                                  i308i · 9 months ago
                                                                                    WOW I AM SPEECHLESS! Just saw this kids mom on KSAT12. She's crying to the camera's PROCLAIMING her son was "GOOD BOY". I wonder what HER DEFINITION of a "BAD BOY" is?
                                                                                    mentalmessiah1 · 9 months ago in reply to i308i
                                                                                      Well of course he was!! Thats why he was expelled and was going to JJA!!
                                                                                    Guest · 9 months ago in reply to i308i
                                                                                      Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                        pedroandblue · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                                          Sheesh man, look beyond the denial and realize the facts. How much more evidence do you need to show this kid wasn't exactly UTSA material? He couldn't even muster PUBLIC SCHOOL without getting in trouble and expelled TWICE!
                                                                                          You can get upset and try and validate this kids history, but how can you doubt he didnt attempt to assault the officer when he was already involved in an assault which created this whole incident.
                                                                                          The kid learned this from somewhere and I am willing to bet alot of it came from home.
                                                                                            I agree with ya 100% on this one pedroandblue.
                                                                                          [/list][/list][/list]
                                                                                          Guest · 9 months ago
                                                                                            Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                                Comment removed.[/list][/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                • *
                                                                                                • Posts: 8989
                                                                                                • Karma: +3/-0
                                                                                                  • View Profile
                                                                                                Comments: "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed ... Identified" 4th
                                                                                                « Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
                                                                                                Comments left for the above article, "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed By Police Officer Identified" (by KSAT News staff with Stephanie Serna and Isis Romero; Nov. 15, 2010; KSAT), #s 76-100:

Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                                        Your sure seem to be hung up on that "nazi" bs, you sure must have a deep love for the organization. I didn't really know there were Mexican Nazi storm troopers, guess I was wrong, huh?
                                                                                                      [/list][/list][/list]
                                                                                                      Guest · 9 months ago
                                                                                                        Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                                          lakers7 · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                                                            I have to agree with the conservative Klan here.

He was basically a Punk with no respect for authority.
                                                                                                            We may disagree but you have to draw the line somewhere and trying to take a gun or even taking on a Cop is complete disregard for authority.
                                                                                                            Guest · 9 months ago in reply to lakers7
                                                                                                              Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                lakers7 · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                                                                  Same to U
                                                                                                                [/list]
                                                                                                                True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago in reply to lakers7
                                                                                                                  Things like this should not be a liberal/conservative issue, right is right, wrong is wrong and criminals are still criminals, no matter who they are, their color or their ethnic background. Those things have nothing to do with politics or political views.
                                                                                                                [/list][/list]
                                                                                                                mountainsurf · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                  SURE ENOUGH- My wife was at UTSA and the "hunger strikers" are back claiming 6 days! What a joke, they were no where to be seen over the weekend. So I take from this that illegals are also liars and frauds
                                                                                                                  True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago in reply to mountainsurf
                                                                                                                    My neice lives with us and she is attending UTSA and she also feels most of these are illegals themselves and are just trying to stir up trouble. I think somebody should call ICE or the border patrol and have their green cards checked, probably don't even have any. It's always law breakers who want the laws changed in their favor, huh?
                                                                                                                    i308i · 9 months ago in reply to True-Native-Texan
                                                                                                                      THE SYSTEM IS BROKE: REMEMBER THIS STORY?June 10, 2009, KSAT12 ran this story, WHY WAS SHE NOT ARRESTED, DEPORTED AFTER BEING INTERVIEWED BY THE MEDIA? 5 will get you 10 she is STILL IN OUR country ILLEGALLY.....Deportation Delayed For St. Mary's Grad

POSTED: Wednesday, June 10, 2009
                                                                                                                      UPDATED: 4:42 pm CDT June 10, 2009
                                                                                                                      SAN ANTONIO -- A St. Mary's University graduate who faced deportation has been granted a continuance by a federal immigration judge.

Benita Veliz, an undocumented immigrant, was born in Mexico and brought to the United States when she was 8 years old. She was detained during a January traffic stop revealed her immigration status.

"My story is ... just sometimes I look at other people and I think, they are so much more deserving to have the opportunity to get a green card, but in representation of them, I would say don't give up, fight for the DREAM act," she said. "This is the year that I really believe that it can happen."

Veliz, a valedictorian at Jefferson High School and an honors graduate from St. Mary's University earlier this year, said she was hoping for a continuance to buy enough time for Congress to pass the DREAM Act (S.729), a bill that would allow undocumented immigrant students who have grown up in the United States to apply for temporary residency status and eventually become a citizen with college attendance or military service.

"As we got closer to June, I was more anxious and more scared about what the decision could be, but knowing now that I have three additional months will be extremely helpful," Veliz said.

When asked why she hadn't previously applied for residency, Veliz referred questions to her attorney, who declined to comment. Supporters have previously said that Veliz's undocumented status prevented her from applying for residency
                                                                                                                      pedroandblue · 9 months ago in reply to i308i
                                                                                                                        This is just part of the problem. How many Islamic Middle Easterners are here without permanent residence? They get a VISA to come to USA and they setup a Store/Motel/Mosque and go about their business without being deported.
                                                                                                                        i308i · 9 months ago in reply to pedroandblue
                                                                                                                          TRUE, but to go on Television and admit they are here ILLEGALLY with NO FEAR of deportation, this just chaps my grits. IN A PERFECT WORLD she would have been snatched up that same afternoon after her TV interview and SHIPPED BACK TO MEXICO.
                                                                                                                          True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago in reply to i308i
                                                                                                                            Yeah, you would think so huh? Think maybe UTSA has gotten on that "politically correct" bandwagon too?
                                                                                                                          [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
                                                                                                                              Obama brought in over 200 thousand of those ragheads from Palestine right after Israel bombed the hell out of them and without any background checks. Do you know what organizations most of those palestianians belong to....Hamas, Al Quida and the Taliban, now we got thousands of them here building bombs in their basements that are being paid for by the government....wonderful, huh? And people actually are stupid enough to wonder why everyone is concerned about this Kenyan born socialist?
                                                                                                                            [/list][/list][/list][/list]
                                                                                                                            i308i · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                              June 10, 2009, KSAT12 ran this story, WHY WAS SHE NOT ARRESTED, DEPORTED AFTER BEING INTERVIEWED BY THE MEDIA? 5 will get you 10 she is STILL IN OUR country ILLEGALLY.....Deportation Delayed For St. Mary's Grad

POSTED: Wednesday, June 10, 2009
                                                                                                                              UPDATED: 4:42 pm CDT June 10, 2009
                                                                                                                              SAN ANTONIO -- A St. Mary's University graduate who faced deportation has been granted a continuance by a federal immigration judge.

Benita Veliz, an undocumented immigrant, was born in Mexico and brought to the United States when she was 8 years old. She was detained during a January traffic stop revealed her immigration status.

"My story is ... just sometimes I look at other people and I think, they are so much more deserving to have the opportunity to get a green card, but in representation of them, I would say don't give up, fight for the DREAM act," she said. "This is the year that I really believe that it can happen."

Veliz, a valedictorian at Jefferson High School and an honors graduate from St. Mary's University earlier this year, said she was hoping for a continuance to buy enough time for Congress to pass the DREAM Act (S.729), a bill that would allow undocumented immigrant students who have grown up in the United States to apply for temporary residency status and eventually become a citizen with college attendance or military service.

"As we got closer to June, I was more anxious and more scared about what the decision could be, but knowing now that I have three additional months will be extremely helpful," Veliz said.

When asked why she hadn't previously applied for residency, Veliz referred questions to her attorney, who declined to comment. Supporters have previously said that Veliz's undocumented status prevented her from applying for residency
                                                                                                                              thejugfather · 9 months ago in reply to i308i
                                                                                                                                WHO CARES!
                                                                                                                                and what does that have to do with the topic at hand....moron
                                                                                                                                i308i · 9 months ago in reply to thejugfather
                                                                                                                                  @ thejugfather: my bad, was meant for T-N-T , we had a discussion going on not related to this story. ( LOL on the moron reference)
                                                                                                                                [/list][/list]
                                                                                                                                Sumerian_Man · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                    cheetoh15 · 9 months ago in reply to Sumerian_Man
                                                                                                                                      There is NOTHING that this boy, and that's what he was a boy, did that deserved a bullet in the chest. Maybe if he had just killed somebody or had come out holding a gun but none of that was the case. There had to have been something different that this police man could have done. To Derek's Mom, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
                                                                                                                                      thejugfather · 9 months ago in reply to cheetoh15
                                                                                                                                        this "boy" was caught assulting another person and fled from police!?! what about that DOESN'T justify what he got?!? sapd shoot people for WAY less than this "boy", as you call him. he was OBVIOUSLY( just look and the photo of him) a gang banger and had already been EXPELLED from middle school. trust me he wa NOT on his way anywhere but jail or the morgue!
                                                                                                                                      BlueIon · 9 months ago in reply to cheetoh15
                                                                                                                                        Yeah would have been nice if the school police had a taser to use as less force, but the school system doesn't allow the police to carry a taser. So a gun s all they have to control an assault. Blame the school. The police man did his job. The job he's been doing for 17 years.
                                                                                                                                      [/list][/list]
                                                                                                                                      Guest · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                        Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                                          thejugfather · 9 months ago in reply to thejugfather
                                                                                                                                              Guest · 9 months ago in reply to thejugfather
                                                                                                                                                Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                                                  thejugfather · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                                                                                                    and you are the leader of the bury my head in the sand and let these little dirtbags run the city club!
                                                                                                                                                  [/list][/list][/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                                  • *
                                                                                                                                                    • View Profile
                                                                                                                                                  Comments: "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed ... Identified" 5th
                                                                                                                                                  « Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »
                                                                                                                                                  Comments left for the above article, "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed By Police Officer Identified" (by KSAT News staff with Stephanie Serna and Isis Romero; Nov. 15, 2010; KSAT), #s 101-125:

It's A Fact Jack · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                    60% of all tweets come from third-party apps,,,fact
                                                                                                                                                    Guest · 9 months ago in reply to It's A Fact Jack
                                                                                                                                                      Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                                                        It's A Fact Jack · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                                                                                                          How hard is it to comprehend a fact to you? it's just a fact jack! and a fact is for you to like it or not. read some facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! instead of some bull sh!t once in a while.Thank You!
                                                                                                                                                          Guest · 9 months ago in reply to It's A Fact Jack
                                                                                                                                                            Comment removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                                                                    Content removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                                                                      .[/list]
                                                                                                                                                                        Content removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                                                                          .[/list]
                                                                                                                                                                            Content removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                                                                            It's A Fact Jack · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                                                                                                                              Fact: you are in denial with yourself as an aszman that loves to be poked in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! goodnight !!!
                                                                                                                                                                            i308i · 9 months ago in reply to Guest
                                                                                                                                                                              5 will get you 10 that terro8 is in FACT a 40+ year old single female, weighing in at 270 lbs, that has her eyebrows and lips tattooed. If she were good looking she would be 1) out clubbing, or 2) married, certainly NOT ONLINE on a MONDAY NIGHT AT 11:26PM, making all those hate comments towards the male bloggers.
                                                                                                                                                                              Guest · 9 months ago in reply to i308i
                                                                                                                                                                                .
                                                                                                                                                                              It's A Fact Jack · 9 months ago in reply to i308i
                                                                                                                                                                                Fact: On the reply last night I did not mean to post it on you.Fact: Wrong post so in fact I'm sorry! Thank You!
                                                                                                                                                                                i308i · 9 months ago in reply to It's A Fact Jack
                                                                                                                                                                                  No apology necessary, I too on more than one occasion have posted a comment in error. I now wish to Thank you for your consideration in feeling you needed to apologize. It is refreshing to communicate with someone who is not using profanity & insults to get their point across. Have a Good Evening.
                                                                                                                                                                                [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                Guest · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                  Content removed.[/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                      I just have one question. It is obvious you are a female due to the massive use of the word jerk, but I would like to know how you are related to the deceased. That is obvious as well-unless you are embarrassed to admit it I could understand.

Ok I will check in the morning for the response.

Thanks and goodnight all.
                                                                                                                                                                                      i308i · 9 months ago in reply to pedroandblue
                                                                                                                                                                                        I arrived at the same conclusion, however it was brought to my attention that I was incorrect. Boy/girl would be a more accurate description. Over the past few months I have observed family & fellow criminals come to the defense of their fallen CRIMINAL.
                                                                                                                                                                                      [/list][/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                          I could understand your inability to admit relationship because it is in your families blood to run and hide, but your comments betray you.
                                                                                                                                                                                        [/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                        MsBA · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                          My condolences go out to the family of this young child. Although very young in age, he seems to have had a bad record. Parents need to be more active in their child's life and maybe prevent an unfortunate situation.
                                                                                                                                                                                        CA · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                          A child is dead. A mother mourns. The only question I ask is, "Was all of this necessary?" was it necessary to chase a child that is not on school property? Yes there are many kids with disciplinary problems, but is death the suitable solution? I think active engagement is perhaps a better solution. Alternative schools are about as effective as the Justice system that often is a revolving door, which mainly ignores problems at hand. These problems are usually either medical or psychological. Thus people with drug convictions are not offered medical treatment, they are offered lockup, and often are mixed with hardened criminals that only worsens their situation. The same can be said about the Juvie system. It does not answer the medical issues these children often face, as there is no money to provide adequate care. Furthermore Americans voted to throw out Health Care reform. Thus children with medical issues are thrown into a system which often makes them worse. A system which often forces good kids with medical problems to fraternize with hardened criminals. Is this truly how you want your tax dollars spent? Children at this age are susceptible to quite a bit. The first often is acceptance from a group. In this community I would assume it would be a gang of some sort. They seek something they lack. Many who join gangs seek a family acceptance that they feel they do not have. Many single mothers have a hard time raising such children as they do all they can, but they children still look for a father figure, which gangs often seem to fill adequately. Psychological programs such as mentoring programs often provide an viable alternative. Such programs can often utilize children's interests as means of gaining their trust. In every instance there are those who are part of the solution, and those who are part of the problem. I would like to think of myself as part of the solution. in closing, although you can lead a horse to water, it is impossible to force that horse to drink. Thus, I can impart knowledge to you, but what you do with it is entirely up to you. My two cents
                                                                                                                                                                                          Catalina36 · 9 months ago in reply to CA
                                                                                                                                                                                            All of these programs you mention already exist and they don't cost taxpayers anything. We call it parenting.
                                                                                                                                                                                          Texas3Step · 9 months ago in reply to CA
                                                                                                                                                                                            The officer chased the kid because he caught him in the act of assaulting someone. The little angel was already in the system. Perhaps he could have turned his life around; we all hope the young ones do, but this boy attacked someone else, and he fought the cop. He knew those things were wrong, but chose to do them anyway. It is a shame that he was shot, but he dealt the play.
                                                                                                                                                                                          john17000 · 9 months ago in reply to CA
                                                                                                                                                                                            Oh please money to help these kids. all it would take is for the fathers that breed these little devis is to step up and take care of their kids and the mother she let him run the streets, well he met his fate, you play in the field and a snake might bite you. thank god the taxpayers do not have to pay to house this thug throughtout his life in the penal system.
                                                                                                                                                                                          Guest · 9 months ago in reply to CA
                                                                                                                                                                                            Move to Havana.
                                                                                                                                                                                          [/list]

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                                                                          • *
                                                                                                                                                                                            • View Profile
                                                                                                                                                                                          Comments: "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed ... Identified" 6th
                                                                                                                                                                                          « Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                                          Comments left for the above article, "14-Year-Old Shot, Killed By Police Officer Identified" (by KSAT News staff with Stephanie Serna and Isis Romero; Nov. 15, 2010; KSAT), #s 126-150:

Billy · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                            Everyone that has comments about this story whether you are for it or against it. "TURN" it the other way around. If the officer was shot by the 14yr old what would you say???
                                                                                                                                                                                          Sumerian_Man · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                            terro8 has a feeble mind and can't comprehend that these little thugs just progress to worse crimes as they get older and cop killing. He especially hates when he is wrong (which happens every time he makes or responds to comments. He fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down
                                                                                                                                                                                          lakers7 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                              john17000 · 9 months ago in reply to lakers7
                                                                                                                                                                                                AMEN TO THAT, IT JUST SAVED THE TAXPAYERS A LOT OF MONEY.
                                                                                                                                                                                              [/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                              Mrhu1 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                yes bad kid blah blah, so now they could
                                                                                                                                                                                                go kill all 14 yr olds with bad records. Or
                                                                                                                                                                                                forgetting the fact that either their armed
                                                                                                                                                                                                or unarmed. yes NISD will say that a17
                                                                                                                                                                                                yr veteran follows policys, and yell police!
                                                                                                                                                                                                17 yrs at a job you need a reason to fire
                                                                                                                                                                                                a weapon. we people that commented
                                                                                                                                                                                                weren't there if he followed rules and procedures.
                                                                                                                                                                                                the bottom line he shot an unarmed suspect.
                                                                                                                                                                                              Mrhu1 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                And by the way police get paid for the responsiblities.
                                                                                                                                                                                                they get paid to know when to shoot. Or
                                                                                                                                                                                                use deadly force.
                                                                                                                                                                                              jrod · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                In order to end up at the Juvenile Justice Academy (JJA) you got mess up bad and repeatedly. Thats means you blew a 3rd and 4th chance at regular school. You messed up 3rd and 4th chance at alternative then you end up at JJA. The whole way making the teaches and staff misserable.
                                                                                                                                                                                              Rabble_Rouser_Extraordinaire · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                A terrible thing for both parties. Best wishes and prayers to all.
                                                                                                                                                                                              big_pun · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                It's amazes me how all these NISD employees are coming on here and bashing this 14 year old kid. Remeber after all his is still a kid no matter how bad his record is or how big his appearance may seem. Where's your compassion and sympathy for your job. I'm assuming all you that are siding with the officer are also setting precedence for child abuse. What happen to the days when teachers really cared about students no matter how bad they were.
                                                                                                                                                                                              lenny66 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                KSAT. You are getting as bad as WOAI on your personal censorship issues. My post was not derogatory or disrespectful. I stated my personal perspective on this issue and you removed my post. If you are going to be doing this, might as well just stop asking for readers input on any story. Thanx for nothing. Lenny66
                                                                                                                                                                                              shadeth · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                News Flash to the mom: "good kids" don't run from the cops.
                                                                                                                                                                                                john17000 · 9 months ago in reply to shadeth
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Good kids don't get kicked out of all these schools either. No wonder he is in trouble, If this is the mom's example of a good kid ,then no wonder he got into trouble, with a mother that stupid, HELLOOOOO MOM WAKE THE HE** UP. Where is the daddy in this? IN JAIL?
                                                                                                                                                                                                [/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                                vinnie1 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                  I don't think that this child -- yes, he is still a child -- intentionally wanted to hit the officer in the face with the shed door. And even IF he was trying to hit him with the door that put the officer in fear for his life? Obviously the officer knew that this CHILD was UNARMED since he had already witnessed him assaulting someone. And what I don't understand is why couldn't the officer have shot him in the leg or arm and not the torso? I have seen PLENTY of SCHOOL "POLICE" and many of them do not seem well trained . . . . in anything. My condolences to this boy's family. May your son rest in peace.
                                                                                                                                                                                                sainsanantonio · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                  "Good Kid?" Apparently not.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Yes, I feel bad he died but the officer had the right to defend himself. Also, if he is such a "good kid" as his mother puts it, then why was he expelled from Middle School AND then from an alternative school? This is a great example of this type of parents with their bleeping head stuck in the sad and just don't have a clue.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  lakers7 · 9 months ago in reply to sainsanantonio
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Ditto...
                                                                                                                                                                                                    We wouldn't even be on here or this articule of him if he was a good little boy.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  [/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                                  lakers7 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                    One more time
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Still a Thug, Punk, and Trouble maker.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    ONE LESS OFF THE STREETS
                                                                                                                                                                                                  love44 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Its hard to believe that there are so many cold hearted people in this world that dont stop and think that this CHILD that you are speaking of has a mother ,father and family that does love him no matter what circumstances the CHILD may have as we would do with all of our loved ones. Judgment is only to be brought by one person and that is NONE of us. It saddens me that just because your child may not have the same issuses as this CHILD you are quick to judge someone elses CHILD. So for any negative comments shared I pray for you just as much as I pray for the family for you not know what you say until your judgement day comes!
                                                                                                                                                                                                    jbjaybird1 · 9 months ago in reply to love44
                                                                                                                                                                                                      So you are saying that it is just fine for this poor young man to go around beating up other kids and then trying to kill a police officer. PRAY all you want - it will do no good because there is really no one to hear you.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    lakers7 · 9 months ago in reply to love44
                                                                                                                                                                                                      I think this Punk's Judgement Day came and went.
                                                                                                                                                                                                      And God was watching
                                                                                                                                                                                                    True-Native-Texan · 9 months ago in reply to love44
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Well bless your bleeding liberal tree hugging heart.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    [/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Tony · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                      I hate the fact that a kid was shot in this. If I were to have children, I would cry for my little baby, too. I carried him in my arms, after all, when he was little. He was so loving!

However, none of this love matters out in the real world. I don't like the fact he was shot, but in today's world, ANYONE could be carrying something deadly. If I were to be a police officer, I would not want to be killed, regardless of the criminal's age. The kid could've gotten a MACHETE from the shed and could've killed the cop. The cop did not know the rap sheet of this kid, so that was not a factor in the shooting. The cop was fearing for his life.

As for the family, I have questions: Why was this kid expelled? You know, you don't get expelled for little bad things; I'm sure he did VERY bad things. Why didn't the family do anything to stop him from doing bad things. Why was he removed from an alternative school? What the heck did this kid do to be removed from a school dedicated to straighten him out? It seems he was way out of control, even for alternative school staff! For him to go to a Juvenile Detention Academy?? Whoa!! Where was the family? Where were the parents? Didn't the family see this coming? What happened, mom? I know you cry for his death, but why did your son do to be given chance after chance, but to no solution, other than a detention academy? Why didn't you do something??

Alot of us say "good riddance" because we work HARD for our small possessions, only to be stolen by a kid like yours. I grew up poor and worked my way up. I wouldn't want your kid to be stealing what I worked hard for, and it looked like he was headed that way (to being a burglar). Where were you, mom, to straighten him up? Social programs work, but they ONLY work if he has the support at home. For him to go from school to school, it seems as if the family spared the rod all this time. I'm sorry for your loss, but you knew his death was going to come; it was just a matter of WHO would be the one shooting him. Unfortunately, it happened to be the cop getting blood in his hands.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Mrhu1 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                      well these school police are sapd rejects
                                                                                                                                                                                                      for A reason!!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                    lenny66 · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                      To all those complaining about the negative comments I propose this question to you.
                                                                                                                                                                                                      What if this "Little Angel" were beating up your "Little Angel" would you still be sympathetic to his case??? I think not. What if this "Little Angel" were breaking in to your tool shed to steal your lawnmower or weed eater, would you still be sympathetic to his case??? I think not. This "14 year old Angel" was removed from 2 different schools and placed in a court mandated school for "Troubled students", is this kid still on your "Christmas" list??? I think not. See it for what it is, if it didn't happen now it would happen later on and maybe your "Little Angel" would get caught up in his actions. No matter what Mom thinks and says about "Mejo", the boy was going nowhere fast. Good thing is an innocent bystander didn't go down with him. Wannabe gangsta no more!!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                    TexJon · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Poor thing..he was kicked out of school, caught at a school campus he didnt belong to, beating another kid, then attacked a Police Officer and got shot..HMM obviously it was all a misunderstanding, he was trying to recruit the other kid for bible camp and he probably thought he saw a bee on the officers nose and was trying to kill it by slaming a door in his face. I regret th cop had to shoot this little thug, but if he would have obeyed the officer in the first place and not ran away he would have probably been at home with his mommy that evening after posting bail. When a cop with that much experience shoots someone its for good reason. So stop blaming the cop, that young man knew what he was doing and now his mother is left with a funeral bill....
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Heather Smith · 9 months ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                      This is a classic case of denial! The little thug was expelled from school, kicked out of an alternative school, and forced to go to a juvenile academy because no reputable school would have him. Then the mother is going to claim he "was a good boy". Perhaps she and Jeffrey Dahmer's mom should have tea. The boy obviously evaded arrest and then ran into a shed - a tool shed - then came out like a bucking bronco. He knew there was an officer standing there - so acting like he didnt mean to hit him with the door is just further denial. Now lets look at where the boy was hiding - a tool shed - knowing the boy had already assaulted someone, evaded arrest and then kicked a door in an officers face - the officer is lucky the boy didnt stab him with a machete. I am so glad this is one less criminal on the streets. When my house is broken into and my jewelry is stolen - I dont care how old the criminal is. I just know he is a criminal. I am glad it was snipped in the bud now, before the boy committed rape or murder.

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • *
                                                                                                                                                                                                      • View Profile
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Two sides of teen emerge
                                                                                                                                                                                                    « Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                    San Antonio Express-News

Two sides of teen emerge
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Soon after authorities Monday publicly identified Derek Lopez as the student killed last week by a school district police officer, two starkly different portraits of the boy emerged: one repeatedly in trouble, the other loving and family-oriented.

By Eva Ruth Moravec and Michelle Mondo
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Published 09:58 p.m., Monday, November 15, 2010

Soon after authorities Monday publicly identified Derek Lopez as the student killed last week by a school district police officer, two starkly different portraits of the boy emerged: one repeatedly in trouble, the other loving and family-oriented.

Lopez, 14, was shot to death Friday afternoon when he burst out of a shed where he was hiding and hit the officer in the face with the door in a yard on the far West Side, San Antonio police said.

Northside Independent School District Police Officer Daniel Alvarado, 40, was on paid administrative leave while the San Antonio Police Department investigates.

The teen's family said they have unanswered questions about why deadly force was needed against an unarmed teen. Lopez's mother, Denys Lopez Moreno, 35, cried as she talked about her son, saying he didn't deserve to die.

Family members said SAPD officers who told them about the death Friday wouldn't give them details and that the medical examiner's office also rebuffed their attempts to get information until Monday.

An aunt, Mishel Lopez-Renteria, 36, said the lack of information and Lopez's death was not only wearing on his mother but the whole family.

Alvarado, a 16-year NISD police veteran, is the first Northside officer to be involved in a shooting in the department's 25-year history, district spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said.

"Not only is this a tragedy for the Northside police officer who fired his gun, but this is a huge tragedy for that family, and we're sympathetic to their feelings and their circumstances," Gonzalez said.

Alvarado was driving on Hunt Lane in a marked patrol car Friday when he saw Lopez and another boy fighting at a bus stop outside the Northside Alternative High School at Santa Fe Ridge, Gonzalez said.

Both Lopez, who weighed 160 pounds and stood 5 feet 9 inches tall, and the other boy attended Bexar County's Juvenile Justice Academy and had been dropped off by an academy bus, officials said.

Witnesses told police that Lopez struck the other boy in the face with the back of his hand. Alvarado tried to detain the teen, who ran across the street and into the Trails of Santa Fe neighborhood, a police report states.

Shortly afterward, a homeowner in the 200 block of Roswell Canyon called 911 to report a possible burglary in progress when she spotted Lopez in her backyard, police said.

Alvarado searched the fenced-in yard but couldn't find the boy until he approached a storage shed on the side of the house.

He announced, "Police, police," several times before peering into the shed, where he saw Lopez crouching on the ground, according to the report. Lopez lunged through the shed's door, intentionally knocking it in Alvarado's face, the report said.

Alvarado, "fearing for his life," fired once and the bullet struck Lopez in the chest, the report said. The officer then conducted cardiopulmonary resuscitation until EMS arrived, police said.

Gonzalez said the SAPD investigation may be reviewed by the district attorney's office. If warranted, disciplinary action against the officer will then be taken, he said.

All 90 NISD officers must be certified Texas peace officers, Gonzalez said, and must respond to calls anywhere in their jurisdiction, which encompasses all the district's 355 square miles. Alvarado, like the department's other patrol officers, wasn't assigned to a particular school.

Alvarado's service record contains no complaints, Gonzalez said, and the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education show his peace officer's license has never been suspended or revoked.

Before he joined the Northside force in 1994, Alvarado spent 10 months working for the Leon Valley Police Department.

It was not clear if Alvarado was already familiar with Lopez, whose history of trouble at school began at age 9, according to officials.

Lopez was expelled from elementary school in April 2006, Gonzalez said, and spent the next few years in and out of alternative schools, traditional campuses and the county's juvenile academy. He had been disciplined for persistent misbehavior including possession and distribution of drugs, assault, theft and using profanity, Gonzalez said.

In September, he was expelled from Pease Middle School when he was arrested on a felony charge of graffiti on school property, according to David Reilly, Bexar County's chief probation officer. He was again sent to the juvenile justice center, officials said.

Lopez's aunt disputed the charge of distributing drugs, saying he was caught with a pill. She didn't know what kind. She said the family wanted to fight the charge but didn't have the money.

Family members said Lopez could talk back and did have trouble with a few other teens, but he wasn't a drug dealer, gang member or thug.

One of four siblings, he played baseball and basketball, took his younger cousins to the park to play on the swings and loved to help his grandmother cook, they said.

After reading Internet comments connected to previous stories and watching the news, the family said they do not know the boy being described.

"They're talking about my sister's son, my nephew, like he's a monster," Lopez-Renteria said.

The family said Lopez's older brother and a cousin had to be pulled out of school Monday because of the constant questions from their peers about the shooting.

"It's been very hard for them," said Patricia Jimenez, 45, another aunt.

Staff Writer Jennifer Lloyd contributed to this report.

© 2011 Hearst Communications Inc

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • *
                                                                                                                                                                                                      • View Profile
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Officer says he feared for his life when he shot teen
                                                                                                                                                                                                    « Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Here's a brief update from the same news source as the OP...

Well, I dunno... One backhand to the face, however inexcusable (or not) it may have been, somehow gets translated into "a fight":

News 4 WOAI
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Officer says he feared for his life when he shot teen

Published: 11/16/2010 10:06 am
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Updated: 11/16/2010 12:30 pm

SAN ANTONIO -- A Northside Independent School District police officer claims he feared for his life when he shot and killed a 14-year-old student last Friday.

NISD officials confirm that Derek Lopez was a student at the Bexar County Juvenile Justice Academy, where students go when they have been expelled from alternative school. Witnesses said NISD officer Daniel Alvarado tried to stop a fight between Lopez and another student. Officer Alvarado said he shot Lopez because he felt his life was in danger.

Alvarado remains on paid administrative leave while the San Antonio Police Department continues its investigation.

© 2010 Newport Television LLC

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • *
                                                                                                                                                                                                      • View Profile
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Comments 1: "Officer says he feared for his life..."
                                                                                                                                                                                                    « Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                    "Witnesses said NISD officer Daniel Alvarado tried to stop a fight between Derek Lopez and another student last Friday."

Comments left for the above article, "Officer says he feared for his life when he shot teen" (11/16/2010, News 4 WOAI), #s 1-20:

68
                                                                                                                                                                                                    munchie - 11/16/2010 10:41 AM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Yes, watched the news last night and how the mama said he was such a "good boy". Yet reading between the lines this boy had been expelled from an alternative school and gets caught fighting. Glad Officer Alvarado is ok.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    batman18 - 11/16/2010 11:38 AM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      It is very sad this boy had to die, but if the officer was in danger and did his job it's gonna happen. I don't like to judge but the picture in the paper shows a pretty large boy for only being 14. Sounds like the ever present hispanic "machismo", and yes this does exist and yes I am hispanic too.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    suncliffsa - 11/16/2010 11:54 AM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      This is a sad story. However, in the news, the teenager's mother and grandmother say this kid was a good kid. It's parents like these who have their heads stuck in the sand and just don't have a clue. Wasn't he in an alternative school for something he did? So young and starting so bad.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    baaros - 11/16/2010 11:54 AM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ugh, so tired of these parents coming out and saying how good their child was etc etc etc. Funny how every time a crime happens involving a young teen or young adult the parents come on saying how good they are. Pretty sure if they were that good they wouldn't have been shot by an officer.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    trutex - 11/16/2010 12:34 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      And of course no dad anywhere anywhere in the picture. Boys need dads. The prisons are chocked full of males from single parent homes. But don't say anything or the Misandrists will go bat$hit.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    felontracker - 11/16/2010 12:52 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Read THIS and try to dispute it... a future felon starting out at the age of 9.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_ ... 98319.html[/list]
                                                                                                                                                                                                    nursshar1 - 11/16/2010 12:59 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      any mother or grandmother is going to say that "he was a good boy". Why? Because to them, that is the only way they can ever see them. can you imagine looking at your child and saying that they are a bad person? I am not saying it is right, I am just trying to get people to pull back and look at it from another's perspective.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Jimkata - 11/16/2010 1:16 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Run at a cop, try to hit him with a door to knock him down, and then your family complains when he gets shot saying he was "a good boy"... His police record says otherwise... It's sad it came to this, but the kid got what he had coming... Obviously he had not learned a thing from his past troubles.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    TheAngryOne - 11/16/2010 1:19 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      another mother granma monster creation destroyed by society, the boy was not born this way, how sad he had to die this way.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    jamdscott - 11/16/2010 1:31 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      First my disclaimer: I wasn't there and I'm not the responding officer. Now, since when does a door swinging open hitting you upside the head warrant deadly force? Did the boy have a knife, a gun, or an object that could be used for blunt force trauma that could cause serious injury or death? Winging door or jumping at you?? C'mon man!!!! How about defensive tactics, pepper spray, whop with the ASP baton?? This is going to be a hard one for the officer to prove. Again, I wasn't there ot the officer--just asking the hard questions that will eventually come up before, during, and/or after the lawsuit.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    wilkim45yes - 11/16/2010 1:33 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      TO THE LOPEZ FAMILY: if you have any other kids, THE BALL IS NOW IN YOUR COURT. You CONTINUE to raise them in the same manner you raised Derek, then you SHOULD EXPECT THEM TO MEET THE SAME FATE!
                                                                                                                                                                                                    sajoejoe - 11/16/2010 1:52 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Very Sad, The officer got hit in that face with the door stunned unaware of what was coming next and shot to protect himself. We know the boy had problems. The family knows what they did wrong in raising this boy. No dad, they can only blame themselves now. It;s called LOVE. A word that means so much, when put the phrase "I LOVE YOU". Say It
                                                                                                                                                                                                    LisaPowers - 11/16/2010 4:10 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ok - not saying this kid was Mr. Innocent, but since when to middle school cops carry guns? Maybe that's a bad idea to begin with. Surely Pepper Spray or a Tazer (yeah, I know, they hate those too, but they're better than bullets) would have been an better arming option?
                                                                                                                                                                                                    sa mike - 11/16/2010 4:30 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      I've noticed several posts mentioning the lack of a father coming forward. That says a lot about this young lads home situation. Yes he probably was a "good boy" from what his mom saw, but a boy growing up NEEDS a male influence and apparently that was lacking in his home. That said, a 14 year old with no obvious weapon should not be that great a threat to a 17 year police veteran. Pepper-spray, taser,police baton would have probably helped the officer subdue the boy. Alas, this is Texas where a handgun unfortunately seems to be the answer to a lot of social problems. Just my 2 cents worth...
                                                                                                                                                                                                    euroboy - 11/16/2010 4:39 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      This police officer "feared for his life"? What a big p****y!!!! He has no business being a police officer if he's afraid of being shot dead!!! That is part of the job...possibly being shot or killed!!! This bozo (and he's probably fat from donuts) couldn't handle a 14 year old!!?? I have a 14 year old and if anyone (even a cop) killed him, so goes the saying, "an eye for eye".
                                                                                                                                                                                                    DunoNuthin - 11/16/2010 4:48 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Karma's a B, ylo.... Just because something terrible happened to your family, now you're wishing the same upon others? It's a vicious cycle. All I have to say about this, it if you fail to comply with the orders of a peace officer, and you attack them, don't expect to live to tell about it.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cher01 - 11/16/2010 5:09 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Whoa, this is getting really heated. The lack of a father in the home is not necessarly the reason this boy was the was he was. I was raised without a father, my kids are being raised without a father, and nothing like this has ever happened to my family. Yes, this boy had a lot of problems, and every situation is different, but come on people, bottom line is JOHNNY LAW KILLED A KID! But consider the source, he worked in Leon Valley for years. They are cold and heartless, just like Balcones Heights, Selma and all these other small towners. I say if he is allowed to stay with NISD, then he needs to be on desk duty and not allowed to carry a gun.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cher01 - 11/16/2010 5:16 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      OOPS typo. *not necessarily the reason why this boy was the WAY he was
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cher01 - 11/16/2010 6:23 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      According to all the news reports I have been hearing about, that neighborhood keeps re-appearing. NISD busses being shot at with pellet/BB guns, not one but twice, who knows, now maybe it's a third time, and now this. Maybe it's the NISD police doing all the shooting Wow, sure am glad I don't live over there.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Nero14 - 11/16/2010 6:28 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Officer Alvarado is a great man. Although I never told him, he was a great role model thrught middle school , and even through high school. He was the main reason I chose to not do drugs and get into trouble, as he tought a small anti drug class we were require to take. Your a great officer, and I hope this does not effect your career too much. As someone who's life was directly changed from your mentoring, I will always hold you in high regard. Keep your head held high!

Offline Ursus

• Newbie
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • *
                                                                                                                                                                                                      • View Profile
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Comments 2: "Officer says he feared for his life..."
                                                                                                                                                                                                    « Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Comments left for the above article, "Officer says he feared for his life when he shot teen" (11/16/2010, News 4 WOAI), #s 21-40:

cons3rvative1 - 11/16/2010 6:31 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Nero14, your life wasn't the only life that was directly changed by this officer..
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cons3rvative1 - 11/16/2010 6:32 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Nero14, your life wasn't the only life that was directly changed by this officer..
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cons3rvative1 - 11/16/2010 6:34 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      i think it is irrelevant whether this kid was a bad kid or not. the facts are that he was a child who was running and hiding.. that does not look like a dangerous situation that would call for any police officer to draw their gun and shoot to kill.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Geriniol - 11/16/2010 7:02 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      As much as I hate to say it, this sounds like just another meth tale. It might not be, who knows, but when you get a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense, it's almost always meth. The crack people just sort of lose their cool, but the meth folk, they freak out in bad ways, man.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    simmons - 11/16/2010 7:16 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      It's so true how things get changed on the news. They seem to show one side of the story and not the full story. They can ruin a persons life when they print stories about teens. Teen news should be off limits to the news. Especially when they print the names or the school they belong to. Everyone at that school then knows what happens and gissip starts spreading like wildfire. Stories change along the way and the truth is lost. Please have the news stop showing things about under age people. It just hurts others. I know you might not understand what I'm talking about, but from my experience, any news story about under age people causes an anger and hate in so many people, when they don't even know the facts.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    TheAngryOne - 11/16/2010 8:43 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      thou shall not kill!!!!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                    raisenofool - 11/16/2010 9:38 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Why
                                                                                                                                                                                                    raisenofool - 11/16/2010 9:42 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      This individual was kicked out of a regular public school (not easy to do), kicked out of alternative school (also not easy to do), then placed in juvie which he was skipping out of when he was fighting with another kid. After that he is running from and fighting with an NISD officer. At what point should this individual be accountable for his own actions?
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cons3rvative1 - 11/16/2010 9:52 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      @raisenofool, this young junior high kids behavior history has no bearing on whether an officer has justifiable cause to shoot and kill someone, an unarmed junior high kid at that. the only person who needs to be held accountable for their actions in this murder is the police officer.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    eltoro67 - 11/16/2010 10:22 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Whether this child was a poor student or not is irrelevant here. This story doesn't mention that this kid was armed with any kind of weapon. How can a well trained police officer feel his life is in danger from a 14 year old unarmed kid?
                                                                                                                                                                                                    TheAngryOne - 11/16/2010 10:30 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      amen, tive1,67.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    sagicap - 11/16/2010 10:33 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Most parents don't want to admit that their child is a delinquent. What did we expect mom to say? Also, kids will show parents whatever side they want parents to see to keep things going in their favor, so they can get away with whatever is going on when mom is not at home. Bottom line, this kid had been expelled from school and alternative school. According to his district, he'd used up all his chances with them. Some people may not want the history to be waved around in this situation, but had he hurt the officer, it would've been brought up at his trial. 2 things I can tell you: this cop and the kid probably knew each other well because of that history and mommy's good little boy isn't what the rest of the world gets. He might have helped grandmother around the house, but when he walks away from the "security" of his home, he's got to pretend to be a man and walk the walk. Is it really that far of a stretch to say that he might have been armed, he was just in a violent situation right before the cop shot him. And how many stories do we have about sweet little middle schoolers that are armed, shoot at others or cause other problems? Those officers need to protect themselves. Middle school grade level/age doesn't disqualify them from being dangerous kids any more than having a 2 parent home churns out perfect little angel babies.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cons3rvative1 - 11/16/2010 10:42 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      sagicap, do you realize how many kids fit into that little description you gave? shall we let all s.a. police have open season on all these 'delinquents'? no. this kids behavior should not be reason to use deadly force on any unarmed person. drawing a gun is one thing quite another to shoot and kill someone who isn't carrying any type of weapon. but i also agree with you that the cop and the kid probably knew each other. thinking the cop was trying to abuse his authority because this kid probably didn't respect him or something.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    eltoro67 - 11/16/2010 10:58 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      If this kid was armed the police officer would have definitely mentioned it. I'm sure it would help defend him in court and it is possible that they knew each other but the fact of the matter is, police officers get special training to handle situations like this. They don't just hire any idiot off the streets and give them a gun. Did he draw his gun because this 14 year old threatened his life? Did he panic and just shot the boy? If this kid knew the cop and didn't have respect for him is it possible the cop allowed his personal feelings get in the way? We can all speculate but if the boy was not armed it is very hard to believe the cop fired because he feared for his life from a 14 year old.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    felontracker - 11/16/2010 11:13 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Keep in mind that this little 14 year old wasn't so little. Don't get fooled by the photo the family chose to give the media. Nice try though. This kid was 5'9" and 190 pounds.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cons3rvative1 - 11/16/2010 11:18 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      @felontracker, size matters not. as long as the person was not armed there was not a justifiable reason to shoot to kill any unarmed person.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    felontracker - 11/16/2010 11:18 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Apparently you (suni/mdvball) didn't read the mysanantonio.com story I linked in my earlier post. Just copy and paste the link to your address line it will take you straight there. This is coming from an interview with Northside I.S.D. Public Information Officer Pasqual Gonzales. This kid was kicked out of elementary school at the age of nine. Come on people...who gets kicked out of elementary school. Oh yea! a future felon. He has multiple arrests for assault and fighting. He has felony charges and/or convictions for graffiti and drug possession while attending alternative "Middle School" which was what had him sent to J.J.A. "Juvenile Justice" Academy...a state school for felons. He was recently kicked out of J.J.A. Come on folks! That is strait from the School District's go to guy. Next thing you're going to post is that Pasqual Gonzalez is a lier and also not telling the truth. This police officer did our city justice and saved us law abiding tax paying citizens a ton of money that would have been used to house, feed and try to rehabilatate this felon. Apparently you also did not understand the metaphore...pigs don't know pigs stink...or here's an easier one for you...birds of a feather, flock together... Still don't get it? I know, I know...they were only little felonies.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    cons3rvative1 - 11/16/2010 11:23 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      @felontracker, the police officer was chasing the kid because he had gotten into a fight..since when do kids fighting turn into cops drawing their guns on them.? how does that lead him to kill an unarmed person. in order for the cop to say it was self defense this kid had to have some type of weapon that the police officer felt threatened. but no, the gun was already drawn and ready to shoot at an unarmed person. this killing is not justifiable.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    eltoro67 - 11/17/2010 12:00 AM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      felontracker, I can't believe what you are saying about this kid. Whether he was taller than you or not he was still 14 years old. He may have been going down the wrong path but that still doesn't justify shooting him if he was unarmed. Whether you like it or not we have laws that protect them and if you choose to ignore those laws then you are no better than the criminals sitting in jail. You are definitely right about one thing, birds of a feather flock together. I'm wondering if you are related to this cop. I sincerely hope your job doesn't require you to carry a gun.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    felontracker - 11/17/2010 8:02 AM
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Please people, get your heads out of the sand. In my shed, I have a machete, pruning sheers, headge scissors, box cutters and an old lawn mower blade, a bag full of baseball bats, shovels, pitch fork and many other lawn tools. Any of those things could be used as a lethal weapon. This homeowner may very well have simular items in his shed. We already know that this kid kicked the door open striking the officer in the face. At that point, this officer may be disoriented and you not sure if this kid may have picked up any of this things while hiding in the shed. This kid was a little p.o.s. already well familiar with the legal system with two (2) felony charges already. Again read the mysanantonio.com article. They even comments from his probation officer about what a "GOOD BOY" he was. I could only hope to get a jury summons and be there for this officer. I totally back the BLUE. Again, if the homeowner would have shot this kid for burglary which is what he did the minute he entered the shed...you would have been cheering a win for the good guys. It is what it it.